PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock

Jakanden
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Bioshock was already one of my most anticipated games of this year as I was a huge System Shock fan, but after watching the 1up show special on it, it is now my number 1. I have little doubt as to the fact that this game will be amazing, and I cannot wait.

Anyone else eager about this one?

BEAT
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't know much about it, but I'll definitely pick it up once it's released.

JCDenton
06-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Hell yeah, it looks totally awesome. I haven't played either System Shock, but I love intelligent FPS games. The atmosphere looks great and the action seems remarkably polished for an RPG/FPS hybrid.

I'm interested in seeing how the morality plays out; early previews made it seem like you had to choose how far you would go to survive, but in the 1up previews Ken Levine kind of made it sound like you would be really underpowered if you didn't take out the Little Sisters. Hopefully the balance will be there.

Jakanden
06-08-2007, 10:45 AM
This is also one of the few games I will be getting the Limited Edition of. I just wish it wasn't EB/GS exclusive because I hate shopping there.

Loki
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
It's one of the reasons I bought a 360 but I'm also a big scardy cat who loses sleep over the tinyest of bumps in the night.

So I'm torn.

poetfox
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
In my head, at least... Bioshock and Mass Effect are coming out in the same time frame? And I've decided to prioritize Mass Effect over Bioshock. So I'm probably going to be late to the party. But I will hear all kinds of things from my boyfriend playing it on the PC, I'm sure. It does look like a ton of fun.

Savathun
06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I like survival horror and I love the ocean.

They had me at "Hello."

poetfox
06-08-2007, 01:41 PM
So I just watched that 1up Video, and there are apparently more plasmids than I thought there were. I was pretty happy at like... three.

Sarcasmorator
06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
My wife is even excited about this game. But I was just watching one of the videos, and said "Ooh, look, you can beat a guy with a wrench."

She says, " Even Clue lets you beat a guy with a wrench."

Thought that was pretty classic.

Makkara
06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
The taint of objectivism has killed any interest I had in this game. Sure, it's probably not portrayed in a favorable light, and the main villain is apparently Ayn Rand, (a.k.a. Andrew Ryan) but the fact that the game takes objectivism even remotely seriously makes me question everything about it. Still, the prospect of beating a proxy of Ayn Rand to death with a wrench does hold a certain appeal.

JCDenton
06-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I think it is less about objectivism than it is about the dangers of any extremism. Don't know if that helps.

blitzchamp
06-08-2007, 07:17 PM
EGM made it look pretty incredible, so im game.

shivam
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
i hadn't realised the game was an FPS, so my enthusiasm has dampened greatly.

Savathun
06-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I missed out on System Shock 2, so I'm determined not to miss out on this.

Vahn16
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm really looking forward to this game. As of right now, though, Gamevideos is having some kind of problem. I can't watch or download anything.

I really can't wait to watch that 1up feature. Just seeing a gameplay montauge on Gametrailers made my anticipation jump sky-high. Watching it actually being played with context should be amazing.

Figure Four
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
I really them to release a demo for this game. I watched the special and I've been reading about the game for ages and though I'm really interested I still have something lingering in the pit of my stomach telling me that maybe this game isn't right for me.

I'm hoping that a demo would dispell those fears because Bioshock looks seriously awesome.

Guy
06-09-2007, 05:05 AM
I really them to release a demo for this game. I watched the special and I've been reading about the game for ages and though I'm really interested I still have something lingering in the pit of my stomach telling me that maybe this game isn't right for me.

I'm hoping that a demo would dispell those fears because Bioshock looks seriously awesome.

I just want one so I'll know whether or not it runs comfortably on my computer. If I end up having to turn the settings to the absolute minimum and lower the resolution to 800 x 600 just so it can run at a playable framerate, I might have to consider getting the 360 version.

Grignr
06-09-2007, 06:18 AM
I hope they remember to salt the fries.

Kylie
06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
It is first person; I'm not really sure that it's a first person shooter. The marketing wonks have chucked it in that direction, but System Shock 2 was not a first person shooter. Not in the traditional sense, at least, of Doom, Quake, and Gears. Deus Ex was not a first person shooter. Neither, really, was Thief. There are plenty of gameplay concepts that can take place in first person. It just depends whether the developer chooses to make the focus on shooting, or on the world around it.

The marketing towards FPS has been really pronounced; I wonder if it won't actually hurt the game. "Shoot things, and possibly kill little girls" has been the focus of most of the material I've seen in short form, and while that probably appeals to a certain type of gamer I'm hoping that it does the game a disservice.

Jakanden
06-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I would associate the term FPS with this game loosely if it is anything like System Shock.

Kylie
06-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Any game where the act of shooting breaks your pistol stretches the definition of "shooter". :)

reibeatall
06-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I would associate the term FPS with this game loosely if it is anything like System Shock.

They said that they wanted to do for FPS what GTA did for racing.

Also, I keep having dreams about this game. I haven't been following it too closely, bits here and there, but other than that, nothing big. But I've had at least two dreams where I'm in Rapture. It's creepy.

So of course I'm going to get this game.

SamuelMarston
12-01-2007, 11:57 AM
So I've picked the game back up in order to track down those last few Achievements. Does anyone know where I could go to find some Houdini Splicers? I need to finish photographing those bastards to finish their file and get the full research Achievement.

Spoilers: Then it's off to Hard mode to finish the game while finding EVERY audio diary, killing every little sister, and letting Sander Cohen live. I think that should do it.

Also: Personally discouraging rumors about BioShock 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26073506&sid=6183514&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4).

Adrenaline
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I remember them chilling in caves in Arcadia.

blinkpen
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I bought this for the computer, but my inability to let performance interfere with the atmosphere of the game makes it impossible for me to tweak down the graphics settings enough to get through the heavy action sequences without getting killed over and over by a combination of framerate and being terrible at the game to begin with... so I'm thinking of buying it for the 360 in a staggering display of fiscal irresponsibility.

Also I played the demo on the 360 and the controls actually felt more natural. Goddamn system is breaking my "keyboard and mouse=purity" spirit.

Guy
12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm getting a new power supply for my computer, which should keep it from crashing before I can even enter Rapture like it did before. I remember the demo running really well except for that tiny flaw. They more or less fixed that installation limit everyone hated, right?

Mazian
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
They more or less fixed that installation limit everyone hated, right?
Yes, now it's up to five installations without problems, and a normal deinstallation (if your computer doesn't implode) restores one. Not ideal, but much better than before.

Though I own the game and have no intention of copying it, I still immediately applied no-DVD and no-intro-logos patches, and have a copy of a crack sitting around in case it ever becomes necessary. Thanks ever so much for making life slightly more annoying without even solving your supposed problem, PC game publishers.

Guy
12-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Does the Steam version have any of the installation nonsense in the first place?

SamuelMarston
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey, to any of you who purchased the Limited Edition or whatnot, is this (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-Bioshock-EP-promo-CD-Rapture-Records-RARE_W0QQitemZ260187939598QQihZ016QQcategoryZ307QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD10VQQcmdZViewItem) the cd that came with it?

blinkpen
12-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Does the Steam version have any of the installation nonsense in the first place?

No, the Steam version installs perfectly with no hitches whatsoever, and doesn't have any of that "five installs" bullshit since your game is tied to your Steam account.

Frankly, with only a little bit of Valve fanboyery, if a game is available through Steam, that is absolutely the means by which you should purchase it. It is by far the most seamless and hassle-free service for installing games I have ever encountered, and thanks to the nature of steam accounts, you can play your games wherever the fuck you want as long as you have the internet access to do so. Plus you get to stick it to The Man.

SamuelMarston
12-01-2007, 09:12 PM
No, the Steam version installs perfectly with no hitches whatsoever, and doesn't have any of that "five installs" bullshit since your game is tied to your Steam account.

Frankly, with only a little bit of Valve fanboyery, if a game is available through Steam, that is absolutely the means by which you should purchase it. It is by far the most seamless and hassle-free service for installing games I have ever encountered, and thanks to the nature of steam accounts, you can play your games wherever the fuck you want as long as you have the internet access to do so. Plus you get to stick it to The Man.

But don't you have to be signed into the internet/steam to do so? For me that isn't always a guarantee. My 360 is generally hassle free though.

Guy
12-01-2007, 09:36 PM
No, Steam has an offline mode.

Adrenaline
12-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, you only have to be online to activate games the first time.

Guy
12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
BREAKING NEWS: The new patch has a no Vita-chamber mode! (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50153)

reibeatall
12-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I already beat the game on Hard without using Vita-chambers, but it's nice that they're making it an option.

Adrenaline
12-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I like how the revival system is such a huge clue on a major plot point.

Guy
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I did too, but it's nice that I don't have to pretend they don't exist by just reloading my saves.

SamuelMarston
12-02-2007, 12:57 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA! I'm super stoked about FREE DLC!

I hearts BioShock.

alexb
12-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I have this one and I played a little into it (just a bit past where the demo ends), but now I'm going to wait until this stuff comes out in order to get the full experience.

SamuelMarston
12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Do you think these changes will mean new Achievements for playing through without Vita-Chambers, or perhaps collecting all the new Plasmids? A New Game+ similar to Ratchet and Clank 2 would be great.

SamuelMarston
12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to let everyone know that the update went live this morning at Midnight. New Plasmids, a new Achievement, and a whole new outlook on Rapture. That is to say, now the field of view has been adjusted.

Check it out.

chud_666
12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
What a scam...

I just finished a second playthrough a few weeks ago, no way im doing it again....

Eusis
12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm going to check this out tonight. However, I'm a bit miffed at how people (ok, just the Kotaku reporter) keep screaming about how the widescreen from before wasn't real, even though they stated they developed the game around that then expanded for 4:3. But then I guess I can't complain about their complaining since it means the game will be a bit fresher for a replay with the POV update.

SamuelMarston
12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Now that I've played with the update for a few hours, I'm really starting to like the FOV upgrade. You really DO feel like you can see more. You certainly can see more of the weapons themselves.

I'm not sure how this was done, since it doesn't look like 4:3 stretched to fit widescreen. Maybe they just zoomed out some, while giving those of us with widescreens a little more on the sides?

I haven't encountered any of the new Plasmids yet since I just killed Steinman, but I'm assuming that they are at least mildly interesting.

Turning off the Vita-Chambers doesn't seem to have much of an affect on the difficulty since you can still save every time you see one. I don't personally, but you could if you were some sort of Pansy-Jack.

EDIT: To be clear, I didn't have any problems with the original FOV. I didn't care that they started with 16:9 then expanded for 4:3, because that honestly made sense to me. Hey, I'll take the new option though. Thanks 2k!

Adrenaline
12-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure how this was done, since it doesn't look like 4:3 stretched to fit widescreen. Maybe they just zoomed out some, while giving those of us with widescreens a little more on the sides?

Yeah. Originally, the fullscreen was a taller widescreen, and they widened that to make the new widescreen.

Jakanden
12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I guess it is time to start that second Bioshock play through.

VsRobot
12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
I just started Bioshock for the first time a few days ago, so this DLC is perfectly timed for me.

I do like the new FOV options, even if before it was the way the creators intended for their game to be seen.

SamuelMarston
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
There are little things about this patch that are overlooked easily.

Importantly, it fixes a cache problem that would sometimes render the game almost unplayable. It had my battle with Peach Wilkins skipping like a happy child. Before this was fixed by holding RB + LB until after the 2K games logo played (to clear the cache).

There was also a bug that caused corpses to "wave." The physics engine didn't allow the bodies to truly rest on the ground, and they would twitch and shake it all night long. It was creepy. Real creepy. This has also been fixed.

This is one of my favorite games, and I'm glad to see it updated. I'm even happier for new content.