PDA

View Full Version : HALOSTRAVAGANZA Pt. 2: Halo 2 Campaign

Parish
09-10-2007, 10:59 PM
The Halostrav... yeah, that's too hard to type. The Halo thingee continues here with a Halo 2 topic, for those who don't want to play the first. Or for people who totally get into the spirit of Fun Club and play both. You can easily finish each in a week of play time, even if your schedule is horrible like mine!

Halo 2
Bungie | Xbox | 2004

This is a single topic for the entire game, so please be considerate of those who haven't played and use spoiler text for significant plot elements beginning with the mission "Regret." (Not to be confused with the chapter "They'll Regret That Too.")

The-Bavis
09-11-2007, 06:44 AM
I had started playing through this game a few weeks ago while waiting for Metroid Prime 3 to come out or for a large pile of XBOX 360 intended cash to fall in my lap. Well, Metroid Prime 3 came out so I put this down, but I was enjoying it quite a bit until then. I will get back to it shortly, though.

This is "only" my second play through of the game. I finished it the previous time on Normal, so I am trying Heroic this time. I would say this level of difficulty is a reasonable challenge and still well within the realm of fun. I can imagine Legendary is a drag, but I don't know.

I played up until The Arbiter, which means I wrapped up all of the Earth-bound portions as I recall. Loads of fun. I am enjoying looking around and noting the way things are designed this time instead of just playing through the thing. The only disappointment so far is the Scarab battle. I was having lots of fun as I played through but having some trouble not dying. Then, making yet another attempt, I was slaying very few baddies in the process and... what? The Scarab is blowing up? I don't remember this. I guess the whole thing is just a timed event where you are eventually victorious by not dying? This makes me sad.

Or am I wrong?

Makkara
09-11-2007, 07:23 AM
I thought you had to enter the Scarab's control room to destroy it. I remember it just standing there if you let it get to the end of its scripted route. After plastering its deck with rockets and grenades to wipe out the visible Covenant forces, the only thing you can do is to jump on and fight the remaining Elites up close and personal.

TheSL
09-11-2007, 07:27 AM
When I fought the scarab I actually jumped the little covenant hoverbike off of the bridge and went to town with it on the ship. Sure, I missed a few times and occasionally had the polygons from the bike clip through the scarab itself but once I got it exactly right it was magic.

The-Bavis
09-11-2007, 08:32 AM
When I fought the scarab I actually jumped the little covenant hoverbike off of the bridge and went to town with it on the ship. Sure, I missed a few times and occasionally had the polygons from the bike clip through the scarab itself but once I got it exactly right it was magic.

This sounds like a good time.

I was barely in the control room killing d00dz when the thing started asploding and I was the champ. I had taking my sweet relaxed time up on top this go around. Maybe an errant grenade when I first went inside did the trick or something.

ScrambledGregs
09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
I never played much Halo because my friends and I aren't big shooter fans. However, I picked up a Xbox for Halo 2, Fable, KOTOR, and Jade Empire. Halo 2 was something of a revelation for me because I was used to the "don't stop for a second; keep shooting and then shoot some more" style of FPS. Halo 2 felt more strategic, mannered, and more deliberate in its pacing. The mechanic of only being able to hold two weapons at a time, combined with the recharging of shields, was a brilliant way of eliminating unrealistic FPS staples like weapons/health packs just sitting around.

What I always think of when I think of Halo 2 isn't the multiplayer like everyone else does. I think of the single player campaign and its various set piece battles. Halo 2 is a short game by modern standards, but I think it's just right because every level is memorable and has a great climax or two which you play through. Other than the obvious ones--the Scarab tank, the 'boss' battles--I've always liked the smaller bits, like when you crash land on Earth and have to fight off Covenant attacks with the platoon of grunts, or making your way into a heretic base with a squad of Covenant soliders with you. The levels are effectively linear but it never felt to me like you were being herded; it was more that you had to get somewhere or defeat a certain enemy, and going forward was the only logical thing to do.

Halo 2 is also secretly one of the best co-op experiences I've had, but I didn't get to play very much.

Violentvixen
09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I got through the campaign on heroic and most of the levels on Legendary... except Cairo Freakin Station. Any tips for the third window pod? If I'm lucky I last until the guy with the sword pops out, but I never get past there. If anyone has any tips (other than throwing the guns past checkpoints so you have ammo, I got that down) it would be appreciated.

Traumadore
09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
How fortuitous, I just purchased this game for another playthrough as I had simply borrowed it before.

I kind of rolled my eyes initially when all of our shiny silver space-guns were replaced with realistic black ones, and they stick you on the grungy earth level, like they were cribbing from counterstrike or something, but it still completely feels like halo, and they didn't dwell on that location, which is good. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of in the second and third levels are the extensive vehicle based portions, that always felt a little more diluted gameplay-wise.

Parish
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the tank portion of Metropolis is the worst implementation of vehicles in the entire series. They should have been more honest and just added auto-scrolling.

Schmidt
09-11-2007, 11:55 AM
I say this as no slight to the game: the best part of Halo 2 is David Cross.

The-Bavis
09-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, the tank portion of Metropolis is the worst implementation of vehicles in the entire series. They should have been more honest and just added auto-scrolling.

I think you are right, but it didn't really stop the flow of the game any for me and it was enjoyable in a completely different way. Plus, right afterwards you are moving on foot between ambushes in the tunnel and you wish you had the tank back. Then, fortune cuts you a break and gives you ghosts to zip around on in another might-as-well-be-on-rails portion.

To me, it was a nice series of pace variations, but I can see how it might be irksome.

Zen
09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I've definitely got to say that the two weapon/grenade thing is the best part about Halo. I always have a habit of hoarding ammo in FPSes, and the contrivances were always a problem. I like how the guns in Halo are rarely anything important in and of themselves, but rather they are a proper means to a very simple end, and since you are in a war they are expendable and easy to find.

It's sort of like going camping.

ScrambledGregs
09-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I say this as no slight to the game: the best part of Halo 2 is David Cross.

Yeah, the voicework of the grunts added a GTA spice to the game, because I often stopped to hear what they were saying.

Traumadore
09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Just played the first covenant level again. Man I love those guys, so much more fun than playing as the humans, dunno why. I can't understand why it bothered people so much back then. Instead of rolling with those sassy marines you get the eascort of snivelling grunts! With needlers!

TheSL
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm terrible with stage names, but my brother and I just got done ninja'ing our way into one of the Covenant areas on some of the crisscrossing structures above the stage. There was only a single part where a pair of flying covenant guys gave me a bit of trouble up there, otherwise I was able to skip pretty much half the stage through my acrobatics.

Sarcasmorator
09-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I forgot how much I hate fighting the Flood, especially when all you have are Covenant weapons like in the Installation level.

Fuckin' Flood.

SlimJimm
09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
For some reason the Covenant level where you fight the flood outside in the snowy tunnels was the hardest level for me in the entire game. I eventually had to play the game on Easy just to get past it.
I have no idea why that level was so difficult for me when the game really wasnt that bad otherwise. Damn the flood.

Parish
09-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I have no idea why that level was so difficult for me when the game really wasnt that bad otherwise.
I think it has to do with the fact that human weapons and vehicles are really powerful, precise and difficult to avoid. They drive frickin' Scorpions in that mission, which are way deadlier than Wraiths. Plus, Covenant weapons have no equivalent for the rocket launcher, which waaaay too many Flood come equipped with.

Stiv
09-12-2007, 11:49 PM
HIT: Some of the weapon rebalancing. Laser swords!
MISS: New weapon balancing problems (hey sup dual-wield SMGs). Pretty much everything else.

Halo 2 was pretty painful to play through for me because it lacked a lot of the cohesion that Halo had, and it just didn't feel as.. good? Too many of the levels with those glorious wide-open spaces relied WAY too heavily on using vehicles to get from A to B and screw you, every segment of Halo 2 where it's impractical (or impossible!) to go from A to B without that tank or whatever. An extra-special fuck you to any mission with Banshees where they are not optional.

So somehow Halo 2 managed to get everything wrong that Halo had previously gotten right. I'm not going to count Halo 2 as a hate crime against videogaming or anything, but didn't Jason Jones leave before it was finished? I'm going to blame the game sucking on that, if it's okay.

Anonymooo
09-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Now playing Halo 2, it just doesn't feel as comfortable--a sustained burst of Assault Rifle fire would drop an Elite (on Normal), but I have to reload partway through perforating Elites with the SMG, and as much as I LOVE the Battle Rifle, it sucks for close-in combat, forcing me to do a three-shot burst or two, do a weaker-than-before melee attack, then back off WHILE the Elite (or Brute in a worst-case scenario) is chasing me down.

Oh, and the "shooting gallery" tank segment of New Mombasa is a lot more fun to me playing on foot.

reibeatall
09-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Fuck the Jackals with sniper rifles.

cortbassist89
09-16-2007, 11:29 AM
My favorite thing about Halo 2 is there are several levels you can skip entirely by just driving through on a Warthog.

I don't know if that's genius or lazy design.

Kolbe
09-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Okay. I've just finished both Halo: CE and Halo 2 in four nights. Haven't post anything 'casue, you know, I was playing.

Where's my Halo 3?

Sarcasmorator
09-19-2007, 12:36 AM
It's in a box at some store.

Excitemike
09-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I started this today, and I am tearing through it. I enjoyed the first game, but my playthrough felt academic and a few times I pretended I was playing a 3-D Marathon. Halo 2 is... wait, where's my calculator... carry the three... it's a bajillion times better. The pacing is tighter, the weapons feel better and there is an actual story. Also: other characters! I do miss the pistol from the first game, but the sword more than makes up for it.

Is Cortana still with you? It sounds like she's talking to me in my helmet, but I can't tell if it's her or (Lt? Cmdr?) Keyes. I'm at the part where they discover the second Halo, about how far do I have left to go?

Sarcasmorator
09-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Cortana's still in there, yeah, though she sounds a bit like Keyes. You're about a third of the way through the game, I think.

Savathun
09-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I went ahead and finished my playthrough of Halo 2 tonight (got real pumped for Halo 3 and this is all I can do to keep from fidgeting) and I've noticed I'm way too protective of the marines/other elites and hunters.

I plan all my strategies around keeping them alive, even though they usually don't do me much good. I even sometimes jump in the way of bullets that might hit them.

Then, later on, when I realize my teammates have mysteriously dissapeared or been left behind, I get all bummed out.

Excitemike
09-23-2007, 04:25 AM
I always try to save David Cross. "Purple Hearts all around!"

I just steamrolled my way through the game and HOLY CRAP it's 6:30. Would play again.

reibeatall
09-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Right now, I'm stuck on Delta Halo as the Arbiter. I'm driving around in the Specter and I keep getting blown up.

Andrew
09-23-2007, 11:17 AM
My favorite thing about Halo 2 is there are several levels you can skip entirely by just driving through on a Warthog.

I don't know if that's genius or lazy design.

Well, the same question arises in Super Metroid....

So whatever it is, it's good I think. :)

Former Halo hater who played through Halo 1 and 2, now absolutely loves 2, and can't wait for 3.

What a crappy ending to leave unresolved for several years, though...

Kolbe
09-23-2007, 11:22 AM
I went ahead and finished my playthrough of Halo 2 tonight (got real pumped for Halo 3 and this is all I can do to keep from fidgeting) and I've noticed I'm way too protective of the marines/other elites and hunters.

I plan all my strategies around keeping them alive, even though they usually don't do me much good. I even sometimes jump in the way of bullets that might hit them.

Then, later on, when I realize my teammates have mysteriously dissapeared or been left behind, I get all bummed out.

It makes me sad when some of my teammates die in the battlefield. It is stupid, 'cause sometimes they run to their deaths, but even so. Almost everytime someone dies I reset to the last checkpoint and try to save their lives.

Andrew
09-23-2007, 11:54 AM
It makes me sad when some of my teammates die in the battlefield. It is stupid, 'cause sometimes they run to their deaths, but even so. Almost everytime someone dies I reset to the last checkpoint and try to save their lives.

One of the many reasons I like Gears more than the Halo games.

If a teammate hasn't been shredded to bits, blown apart, or otherwise torn asunder, you can heal and revive them.

Eusis
09-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I went out of my way to kill one of them once in Halo 1, but that's because the dumb fucker ran me over in a Ghost when there wasn't anything going on and I was picking up items.

Savathun
09-23-2007, 11:49 PM
So what'd all you people playing Halo 2 for the first time think of the bosses?

Or the Gravemind?

That's some weird, out-of-left-field stuff the first time you see it.

"Fate had us meet as foes, but this ring will make us brothers!"

Mightyblue
09-23-2007, 11:54 PM
The Gravemind thing didn't really surprise me all that much. I was kind of wondering why the Covenant had such an easy time locating the Library and gaining access to it when they couldn't in the first game, and the absence of the Monitor makes that kind of clear (and the fact that the Gravemind has some sort of control over some of the Halo's systems).

Playing as the Arbiter shocked me though. Fighting flood with plasma weapons really pissed me off though, and finding out they had shields about made me crap myself.

Savathun
09-23-2007, 11:56 PM
One of my absolute favorite parts of the game is wandering through High Charity while listening to Truth talking over the intercom or whatever.

Lying about "noble Mercy" being at his side, when we know good and well that Mercy's not doing much of anything anymore, babbling about how the Flood didn't defeat the Forerunners and they won't defeat the Covenant, etc.

And the cool "Kill the demon!" line at the start of that one level, with the High Charity music playing in the background. That was great.

Andrew
09-24-2007, 06:49 AM
So what'd all you people playing Halo 2 for the first time think of the bosses?

Or the Gravemind?

That's some weird, out-of-left-field stuff the first time you see it.

"Fate had us meet as foes, but this ring will make us brothers!"

"This one is machine and nerve,
and has his mind concluded.
This one is but flesh and faith,
and is the more deluded.

"You will search one likely spot
And you will search another
Fate had us meet as foes but
This ring will make us brothers!!"

I actually remembered the lines without having to look them up. People always say "it's too hard to understand him!!!" However, I heard him fine the first time. I love Dee Baker's other voice work too, though. I guess if you've trained your ear to understand Cedric, Gravemind is nothing.

As for bosses...there weren't really many I'd call bosses. The giant mechanical spider thing, Regret, and Tartarus in Halo 2?

Neither Halo 1 or Halo are exactly...boss-y. Typically FPSers don't have much in the way of bosses, anyway, though.

The Flood is the most annoying and tedious parts of both games, though. So not-fun to fight. :P

I totally agree about Truth's rants over the intercom; such a cool bit of atmosphere. Plus, in that area you can basically skip a *lot* of fighting because most of your would-be enemies are busy fighting one another.

reibeatall
09-24-2007, 08:06 AM
As for bosses...there weren't really many I'd call bosses. The giant mechanical spider thing, Regret, and Tartarus in Halo 2?

You forgot the Heretic leader.

Excitemike
09-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I enjoyed the boss-type encounters. They tie the stages up really nicely, and offer a variety that Halo CE lacked. If the quality of level design between Halo CE and Halo 2 is any indication of what Halo 3 is like, I will be very satisfied. My thoughts on Gravemind?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/audrey2.jpg

"Feed me, seymour! Feed me aaaall night long!"
(I'll assume this compariosn has been done to death, and just offer a pre-emptive apology)

So we can just talk about spoilery stuff from here on out? I have some questions I'd like to clear up.

reibeatall
09-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Go ahead. I might be able to answer your questions.