PDA

View Full Version : It's time to stop resisting: Mega Man TPB from Archie

Pages : [1] 2

Tomm Guycot
09-28-2011, 11:21 PM
So as you're all aware (but there's seemingly no thread for it...) Archie Comics has been releasing a Mega Man series. They learned to emulate Tezuka, even, and it looks really authentic to the source and it recounts Mega Man's adventures starting with MM1(Powered Up)

If you're like me and you've been waiting for the TPB so you don't have to keep up with a monthly series, your time has come! Issues 1 - 5 were collected and released this past week.

Let's all* discuss the Mega Man comic!

I really liked it for the most part. I do have a few complaints:

1. Rock's origin was going really strong. They even established a dark past for Dr. Light - where he made ends meet by doing contracts with the military...something he regrets deeply. What a great contrast to Rock, whose sense of justice drives him to volunteer to fight Dr. Wily! Because nobody else can!

Problem is, Light is only grim for a panel--one panel. Once Rock says his piece... Light is all smiles! He's super eager and ready to send his son off to war! They missed a really good chance to deepen Light's character here, give him some conflict... have him reluctantly augment Rock with full knowledge of what could await his favorite creation. I know it's Archie so they can't have Frank Miller stories, but... but c'mon.

2. It was bad enough they started off with Megaman only using his weapons against the Robot Masters. I know everyone plays the games differently but we all kind of know you generally COULD use the powers in the levels themselves... but the comic seems to believe you save them for bosses.

However, then it takes a turn for the ugh when the powers drive Megaman MAAAAD and he resolves to never use them again, it seems. THEN he only fights with the Mega Buster. Really? Expert play? This is interesting narrative about a character who can ABSORB THE POWERS AND BEHAVIORS OF HIS ENEMIES. Wasted opportunity.

3. I'm a little worried we're painting ourselves into a corner here. If Megaman doesn't want to hurt robots AND can't use powers without going nuts... suddenly he doesn't fight. We have him whining and being sad until the robot masters give up. Not only is this X's schtick, but it's what wrote X into a corner, too.

So overall I liked it a lot. However, I worry for its future if Archie doesn't have some tricks up their sleeves. Here's hoping! The twist at the end was definitely a cool direction to go (and what a pun on the second TPB!)

Oh, and 4. the "_____ Get!" Chapter naming motif was weak. That isn't even Megaman phrasing - it should have been "Get Equipped with _____!"

* Or at least me, Nadia, and David

O..O~
09-28-2011, 11:26 PM
So as you're all aware (but there's seemingly no thread for it...) d

People have been talking about it a bit on and off in the comics thread.

Tomm Guycot
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
People have been talking about it a bit on and off in the comics thread.

Not good enough.

Sanagi
09-29-2011, 01:58 AM
We really need a comics thread for stuff that isn't from the depressing superhero continuity wasteland.

Anyway, I've been meaning to read this because it looks awesome, but I never get around to going to the comic store these days.

Octopus Prime
09-29-2011, 01:59 AM
We really need a comics thread for stuff that isn't from the depressing superhero continuity wasteland.

Anyway, I've been meaning to read this because it looks awesome, but I never get around to going to the comic store these days.

Thats what that other comic thread is for as well?

Anyway: If there's a TPB of this out, then I will own it. For THAT is the will of the Octo.

onimaruxlr
09-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Y'know I haven't read the comics yet but Megaman being a hand wringing crybabybot is kind of his whole characterization, more or less. Then again maybe that's X-tinted glasses talking.

I hope they don't intend on sticking too closely to the game chronology, because waiting like infinity issues for Protoman to show up seems like it could deny the book from some much needed levity/reckless aplomb

Tomm Guycot
09-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Well the problem is, I can't see Archie's Mega Man striding stoically, reflecting on what has happened like in the credits of MM2. Or walking away from the flaming wreckage of Skull Castle like in MM7.

Maybe once they're Wily's own Robot Masters he'll have a change of heart - since they were created with the express purpose of murdering him... but I'm worried it's more likely he'll be determined to talk sense into them and teach them the joys of living with humans.

Zef
09-29-2011, 08:44 AM
W-what? The TPB has Issue 5?! But that one hasn't come out at my store yet!

:( I already missed issue 3, no way I'm buying a whole TPB when I already have 3/5ths of it in singles form.

But anyway, Archie's MM is amusing, but if they're gonna give characterization to the Doctors and the Robot Masters, I vastly prefer Ariga's Megamix and Gigamix comics published by Udon. Vastly. Especially since the Cossacks and Fifth Numbers (as in, from MM5) are hilarious, and Auto is a bit of a psychopath :D

(Wily and Light's backstory in their university years is intriguing, too, and I wish Ariga would delve deeper into it.)

Glass Knuckle
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm a sucker for anything Megaman, so I started buying these. The little twist with the robot masters at the end was cute, but the whole thing moves so fast that I'm not sure what else to say about it. I've never bought a comic before in my life so I don't know if this is usually how things go, but it feels like I'm watching a cartoon series with 30 second episodes. The artwork is adorable at least.

Tomm Guycot
09-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I agree, Glass.

I kind of assumed since the first page was in Wily's Castle, they were just speeding through the intro times to get to the meat. ...but then they skipped over Wily's Castle in seconds, too.

I do like the little details, like the sprite graphics of the bosses/MM/Light on the readout screens.

ghosttaster
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Is the series an ongoing? In terms of plot condensation, its likely that they weren't totally certain how long this thing would run in the first place and wanted to put out a complete story arc for an initial TPB. That said, Archie Comics is probably also aware that the pamphlet-format comics is dying and is scripting at a pace meant to be digested in TPBs.

I obviously can't make any definitive statements, but its possible that once the ball really gets rolling they'll decompress a bit.

SpoonyBardOL
09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting, I may have to consider getting the TPB.

Speaking of, I went to look at amazon.ca out of curiousity, and also found this. (http://www.amazon.ca/Mega-Man-Robot-Master-Field/dp/1926778197/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317313390&sr=1-1)

I think... I think I'll have to buy it.

Rascally Badger
09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought this was really good, except that the new artist in issue 5 is nowhere near as good as the previous one. And that it looks like they'll be using the Mega Man 1 Robot Masters as supporting characters and most of them suck. Hopefully we get some Mega Man 2 action soon.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Sorry, only just saw this topic...

But yeah, for the most part, Archie is writing for trades these days. Mega Man and Sonic Universe run in four-issue arcs. I imagine Sonic will, at some point, too. Perhaps after the trades have caught up, though that could be years down the line.

...with the exception of Genesis, which will get its own trade.

Rascally> Issues 9-12 should be MM2, if I remember right.

Also, Ben Bates (who did the Fire Man variant cover for #3) will be taking over art duties for that one. Spaz's was excellent, though-- it's like his mind just knows that world, even better than I could imagine. I mean, just looking at the chair Light sits in during the first issue...

It's the little things.

I did love the panel after Mega Man appears in the other end of the teleporter in Wily's castle, though.

I did think some of the writing was clever there, too. Particularly where Copy Rock and taking care of him was concerned.

As for MM1 Robot Masters as supporting... well, Ariga and Super Adventure did it; it's sort of become a thing.

And speaking of Ariga, Gigamix #2 has totally raised the bar. The whole Wily/Robot Masters and Wily/Light dynamic... incredible.

Plus, I think the story just feels so epic... like this could be the end of the Classic series. Makes it seem like Capcom just wasted their own material with the Stardroids.

ASandoval
10-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Karen's been getting these, but I've only read two issues so far. Already I know exactly what Tomm means. I'm glad that the MM1 arc is winding down, as it seemed like they were saving all of the meaty character stuff for later stories.

Y'know I haven't read the comics yet but Megaman being a hand wringing crybabybot is kind of his whole characterization, more or less.

Haven't beaten Mega Man 7 yet, huh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvnq_7LKbo#t=0m27s)

Octopus Prime
10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Haven't beaten Mega Man 7 yet, huh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvnq_7LKbo#t=0m27s)

Or 9.

"Wily, your plans are terrible and they never work. I'm getting kind of bored of thwarting you."

Tomm Guycot
10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
So the Mega/giga mix is worth getting into?

How do those break down? how many issues? What do I buy?

Wolfgang
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
comics yay

Vaeran
10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
So the Mega/giga mix is worth getting into?

How do those break down? how many issues? What do I buy?

It's a great little series! I haven't gotten around to reading Gigamix yet, but Megamix was creative, stylish and fun. And all the books come packed with extras, like short gag manga featuring Auto, and profiles for all the Robot Masters that attempt to explain their designs and how their weapons work.

Anyway, each series is three volumes long. All of Megamix is out already, and the third Gigamix book is coming out this month - I think next week, actually.

Kishi
10-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Ariga's manga is wonderful. I've only read about two volumes' worth here and there, but it's consistently brilliant in its characterizations of the cast—especially Wily (http://i.imgur.com/q2lps.jpg).

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-05-2011, 02:49 AM
It's a great little series! I haven't gotten around to reading Gigamix yet, but Megamix was creative, stylish and fun. And all the books come packed with extras, like short gag manga featuring Auto, and profiles for all the Robot Masters that attempt to explain their designs and how their weapons work.

Anyway, each series is three volumes long. All of Megamix is out already, and the third Gigamix book is coming out this month - I think next week, actually.

Unfortunately not. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/10/04/updates-on-udons-mega-man-ventures/)

SpoonyBardOL
10-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Wily (http://i.imgur.com/q2lps.jpg).

Sweet image. I don't see any Robot Masters from Mega Man 6, though the ones from 7 and 8 are there. Weird.

SpoonyGundam
10-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Wily didn't actually make any of the MM6 robot masters. MM1 and MM4 are probably missing for the same reason.

SpoonyBardOL
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Oh right, good catch! I didn't fully consider that. I mean, I knew why the MM1 Robot Masters weren't there, but I didn't even notice the MM4 ones were also missing.

Tomm Guycot
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Wily didn't actually make any of the MM6 robot masters. MM1 and MM4 are probably missing for the same reason.

This has sold me on these manga.

EDIT: no really. I just ordered them all

ghosttaster
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I read the first volume of Megaman Megamix and it was... entertaining, but does the series ever get past the "here's this character for two panels! and here's this character too, using his signature attack for a panel!" thing? It's cool to see so many cameos and attempts to give the RMs some semblance of personality, but so far it's felt too compressed and purely fan servicey for me.

Zef
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry, only just saw this topic...

But yeah, for the most part, Archie is writing for trades these days. Mega Man and Sonic Universe run in four-issue arcs.

If they are, they should stop hurrying through each arc, then. Issue 5 was a nice change of pace (haha) because it had about five times more information and more stuff happening than 2, 3, or 4, which felt like they were fast-forwarding through events just to mark them off a checklist. Smaller panels with less zoom-ins would help. Even Ariga's splash panels convey a LOT more info at a glance than the rabbit-on-speed style of the Archie comics.

And speaking of Ariga, Gigamix #2 has totally raised the bar. The whole Wily/Robot Masters and Wily/Light dynamic... incredible.

Yes oh God a thousand times yes. I never tire of reading Gigamix 2 for all the dynamics between the characters. The Shade Man/Shadow Man scene during "White Nightmare," where the former explains why the Wily Numbers are so loyal to their creator, is just amazing.

And I love all the little details and jigsaw connections the various stories have. Such as Saturn and Jupiter showing up as Aztec-style engravings on Asteroid Alpha's ruins during Gamma's assault, or Terra sensing the power crystal inside Proto Man (immediately explaining his Wily-custom arm cannon in "Asteroid Blues.") Makes me wish I could find the GameBoy Mega Man games, since I never did play those and now I'm feeling I missed something good.

Hell, I'm this close to buying Megamix all over again just so I can reread it right now, because I left those volumes back in Mexico and I can't wait until my next visit there.

Plus, I think the story just feels so epic... like this could be the end of the Classic series. Makes it seem like Capcom just wasted their own material with the Stardroids.

The only thing that puzzles me about this arc is that Duo is paired up agains the Stardroids, so I won't get to see the Eighth Numbers in action. :( It also feels a little bit odd that (as far as the cliffhanger hinted) Cossack would've built/repaired/retrieved Duo out of the White Robot's giant fist in the space of an hour, all raring to go and able to take on Stardroids in a single blow.

(What IS the White Robot, anyway? Original Gigamix creation, or something from a MM game I missed, like the GB ones or 8?)

I read the first volume of Megaman Megamix and it was... entertaining, but does the series ever get past the "here's this character for two panels! and here's this character too, using his signature attack for a panel!" thing? It's cool to see so many cameos and attempts to give the RMs some semblance of personality, but so far it's felt too compressed and purely fan servicey for me.

Ironically, this is how I feel about the Archie comics. But seriously, when Ariga's *mix comics get to the point that you care about the Wilybots' fate and want to see them repaired and shiny and fighting each other again, that's when you have a great story.

Egarwaen
10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
1. Rock's origin was going really strong. They even established a dark past for Dr. Light - where he made ends meet by doing contracts with the military...something he regrets deeply. What a great contrast to Rock, whose sense of justice drives him to volunteer to fight Dr. Wily! Because nobody else can!

Problem is, Light is only grim for a panel--one panel. Once Rock says his piece... Light is all smiles! He's super eager and ready to send his son off to war! They missed a really good chance to deepen Light's character here, give him some conflict... have him reluctantly augment Rock with full knowledge of what could await his favorite creation. I know it's Archie so they can't have Frank Miller stories, but... but c'mon.

2. It was bad enough they started off with Megaman only using his weapons against the Robot Masters. I know everyone plays the games differently but we all kind of know you generally COULD use the powers in the levels themselves... but the comic seems to believe you save them for bosses.

However, then it takes a turn for the ugh when the powers drive Megaman MAAAAD and he resolves to never use them again, it seems. THEN he only fights with the Mega Buster. Really? Expert play? This is interesting narrative about a character who can ABSORB THE POWERS AND BEHAVIORS OF HIS ENEMIES. Wasted opportunity.

3. I'm a little worried we're painting ourselves into a corner here. If Megaman doesn't want to hurt robots AND can't use powers without going nuts... suddenly he doesn't fight. We have him whining and being sad until the robot masters give up. Not only is this X's schtick, but it's what wrote X into a corner, too.

Mm... So I did kind of like the way the series tended to bring up dark and dramatic moments, deal with them, and then immediately move on. I felt it captured the overall light and cheerful tone of Mega Man very well, and in particular, avoids the I AM MOPEY AND EVERYTHING IS GRIMSHITDARK FOREVER that comics adaptations have traditionally seemed prone to. (See: Transformers, GI Joe, etc.) Yeah, it does result in missing some opportunities for character development, but it's not like Mega Man is known for its deep and intricate characterization in any incarnation.

Hopefully they'll come back and play off these elements later now that the basic story is laid down. In particular, I hope they re-address the human soldiers who are cowering in fear before Wily's robot army, and almost shoot Mega Man in the back before he cheerfully waves at them and then charges off into battle.

Also, I'd think that your point #3 would be rather defeated by issue #4. I mean, Mega Man gets all resolved and marches into Wily's castle to kick his ass. He beats the Boss Rush through trickery, sure, but then he's totally willing to fight his evil clone, and uses his captured powers against it. It doesn't work, but he's still willing. When Wily shows up in his death machine, Mega Man puts all his captured powers to use utterly dismantling the thing.

* Or at least me, Nadia, and David

And me!

Tomm Guycot
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
but it's not like Mega Man is known for its deep and intricate characterization in any incarnation

right but that's why I would buy a comic adaptation--to get that.

Egarwaen
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
right but that's why I would buy a comic adaptation--to get that.

Eh, we still might. The first four issues were clearly all about laying a foundation. Now they've established a basis, let's see where they take things.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Yes oh God a thousand times yes. I never tire of reading Gigamix 2 for all the dynamics between the characters. The Shade Man/Shadow Man scene during "White Nightmare," where the former explains why the Wily Numbers are so loyal to their creator, is just amazing.

Indeed. The Light/Wily parts are great, too.

And I love all the little details and jigsaw connections the various stories have. Such as Saturn and Jupiter showing up as Aztec-style engravings on Asteroid Alpha's ruins during Gamma's assault, or Terra sensing the power crystal inside Proto Man (immediately explaining his Wily-custom arm cannon in "Asteroid Blues.") Makes me wish I could find the GameBoy Mega Man games, since I never did play those and now I'm feeling I missed something good.

In all honesty, from what I know of MM5... it's good, but doesn't quite have the same epic feel as this. But then, knowing what I know and some of the differences...

Of course, they are great games, and do feel a bit more epic than the NES ones... 3, 4, and 5, at any rate. Definitely play them.

The only thing that puzzles me about this arc is that Duo is paired up agains the Stardroids, so I won't get to see the Eighth Numbers in action. :( It also feels a little bit odd that (as far as the cliffhanger hinted) Cossack would've built/repaired/retrieved Duo out of the White Robot's giant fist in the space of an hour, all raring to go and able to take on Stardroids in a single blow.

(What IS the White Robot, anyway? Original Gigamix creation, or something from a MM game I missed, like the GB ones or 8?)

Oh, this is some of my favorite stuff there, just by virtue of the attention to obscure facts...

The White robot is Duo's original form (http://www.themmnetwork.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pid=235#top_display_media), more or less, as you see engulfed in energy at the start of Mega Man 8.

And Cossack being the one to rebuild Duo is fantastic, as the original plan for him before making him a robot space cop was to have him be one of Dr. Cossack's creations. I LOVE that Ariga managed to work that in!

As for the Eighth numbers... I'm assuming that you haven't read the rest of this-- the Japanese version, I mean. I haven't, and if anyone has, I would appreciate any details being spoilered...

...with that said, not having seen the last chapter, I could easily imagine Wily building the Eighths to help in the fight. After all, most were made from odd spare parts and strange things, anyway.

Regarding the Archie TPB, btw, I've been asked to spread the word (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/10/12/available-now-archies-mega-man-volume-1-let-the-games-begin/). I don't have my copy yet, but it sounds like it has some extra features not included in the monthly issues.

Zef
10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
The White robot is Duo's original form (http://www.themmnetwork.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pid=235#top_display_media), more or less, as you see engulfed in energy at the start of Mega Man 8.

Ooooh, that's awesome. I REALLY need to play 8 sometime.

And Cossack being the one to rebuild Duo is fantastic, as the original plan for him before making him a robot space cop was to have him be one of Dr. Cossack's creations. I LOVE that Ariga managed to work that in!

That's also awesome, and I retroactively love that now, too. Cossack is a character with tons of potential, and I'm glad he's made so many appearances in the Megamix comics.

And no, I haven't read the Japanese releases. I'm following Udon's as they come out :D I was actually surprised to see that these were actually from the mid-to-late 90s! :eek: I honestly thought they were a recent series

Though that probably makes it unlikely that the "ninth" Light Numbers would put in an appearance :( I thought I saw Splash Woman in that massive sea battle with the Stardroids, but nope, just a vague lookalike.

Regarding the Archie TPB, btw, I've been asked to spread the word (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/10/12/available-now-archies-mega-man-volume-1-let-the-games-begin/). I don't have my copy yet, but it sounds like it has some extra features not included in the monthly issues.

:( So, basically, I should stop buying the monthlies because the trade will have more stuff?

Egarwaen
10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I've just read issue #5 of the Archie series, and it's pretty good. All the themes that Tomm complained vanished after brief mentions? It's back. :D

And while they managed to make Time Man seem pretty badass, Oil Man still looks ridiculous.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-15-2011, 06:01 AM
And no, I haven't read the Japanese releases. I'm following Udon's as they come out :D I was actually surprised to see that these were actually from the mid-to-late 90s! :eek: I honestly thought they were a recent series

Not exactly; the original Megamix were, but he revised some of the stories and added new ones more recently for the Megamix releases we now enjoy.

And Gigamix? Those are even more recent.

Though that probably makes it unlikely that the "ninth" Light Numbers would put in an appearance :( I thought I saw Splash Woman in that massive sea battle with the Stardroids, but nope, just a vague lookalike.

Yeah, I think his Rockman 9 manga story came after...

:( So, basically, I should stop buying the monthlies because the trade will have more stuff?

Depends on what you value more; seeing it as it comes and collectability, with stuff like letters and fan art, or getting it in an easily-shared, collected format with bonuses.

And I have no idea if the Short Circuit strips are in the trade.

Sanagi
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I just got the first collection(#1-4). It has the gag strips but no letters. Which suits me fine.

Anyways, you all know this already, but this is a good comic.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Ah, thanks for sharing. Letters just aren't as much fun to me as they used to be, anyway (though the letters on the blog are a lot more fun). Probably just age and/or the internet age affecting that, though...

Anyway, can you share the other bonus content? I think all the covers are supposed to be included, along with some character profiles. Anything else?

Anonymooo
10-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I was at first worried about buying this because of how crazy Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics got.

Thank you for laying all my fears to rest. I also need to pick up the manga.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Sonic... it's gotten a lot better over the past few years, really.

But yeah, this was a fresh break, all the way. I think Ian said at NYCC's panel something along the lines of Mega Man "having a lot of structure, but a lot of freedom," which sounds like a pretty good combination.

Zef
10-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I was at first worried about buying this because of how crazy Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics got.

Thank you for laying all my fears to rest. I also need to pick up the manga.

Well, Sonic is what, up to the hundreds now? MM is only at issue 5. Maybe by issue 134 we'll be reading about a rookie gun-wielding Robot Master hunter who takes Mega Man's place while the latter angsts and broods over killing his brothers.

And then it'll turn out the villain is a time-traveling Roll. Who is a clone. Of Kalinka's great granddaughter. With spiky purple hair.

Sanagi
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Anyway, can you share the other bonus content? I think all the covers are supposed to be included, along with some character profiles. Anything else?
Alternate covers, character profiles, some sketches.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Well, Sonic is what, up to the hundreds now?

229 and counting. And that's just the main series alone.

MM is only at issue 5. Maybe by issue 134 we'll be reading about a rookie gun-wielding Robot Master hunter who takes Mega Man's place while the latter angsts and broods over killing his brothers.

And then it'll turn out the villain is a time-traveling Roll. Who is a clone. Of Kalinka's great granddaughter. With spiky purple hair.

I did the math on this once, figuring out roughly how far the series would go based on currently-existing games alternating with original stories. And I have no idea where that ended or where I put it...

...which is just as well, because I think I screwed up somewhere along the way, so... yeah.

Alternate covers, character profiles, some sketches.

Wicked, thanks.

OH! Almost forgot: word from NYCC is that the Robot Master battles in the MM2 adaptation are going to be more "brutal," which stands to reason-- the Seconds were made specifically for combat.

Donny
10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Well, Sonic is what, up to the hundreds now? MM is only at issue 5. Maybe by issue 134 we'll be reading about a rookie gun-wielding Robot Master hunter who takes Mega Man's place while the latter angsts and broods over killing his brothers.

Megaman, Rush, and Protoman all take turns being the messiah.

Sanagi
10-18-2011, 02:52 AM
If they deal with two robot masters per issue and bookend each game's worth of story with an issue to start and finish - six comics per game - we're looking at a total run of about sixty issues. But that's assuming there's any story worth telling about Yamato Man or Centaur Man. I'd just as soon see it stop after MM3.

SpoonyBardOL
10-18-2011, 07:00 AM
I picked up the first volume of Gigamix from Amazon, without really looking into the series beforehand. Should I have started with Megamix? Is there another series before that?

Vaeran
10-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Megamix covers the first six games (sort of -- after a point Ariga stops following the games' plots to the letter and starts taking a lot of liberties, writing mostly-original stories involving the Robot Masters that retain some elements from their respective games. For example, the Megaman 4 chapter actually takes place several years after the game but still deals with the Cossack bots.)

ANYWAY, Megamix is definitely worth your time, but it's not as though you'll be lost if you start on Gigamix.

CAN'T WAIT FOR VOLUME 3 RRRRGGHHH

Anonymooo
10-20-2011, 05:31 AM
OH SNAP the art is by Pat Spaziante. This guy was always my favorite artist for the Sonic comics--I stopped reading around issue 50 or so, but it was always a real treat whenever he did a full issue instead of just the cover. Just skimming through the book without actually giving it a read yet, he's really smoothed out and refined his style.

Egarwaen
10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
If they deal with two robot masters per issue and bookend each game's worth of story with an issue to start and finish - six comics per game - we're looking at a total run of about sixty issues. But that's assuming there's any story worth telling about Yamato Man or Centaur Man. I'd just as soon see it stop after MM3.

I'd love it if they used a MM6 arc for a deconstruction of the ridiculous tournament battle style that seems so dominant in manga.

Zef
10-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd love it if they used a MM6 arc for a deconstruction of the ridiculous tournament battle style that seems so dominant in manga.

:confused:

The manga is full of scenes of chaotic battle royales and RMs ganging up on Mega Man (or Proto Man.) The smallest action scenes involve at least a pair of allies going up against one foe.

Egarwaen
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
:confused:

The manga is full of scenes of chaotic battle royales and RMs ganging up on Mega Man (or Proto Man.) The smallest action scenes involve at least a pair of allies going up against one foe.

I'm talking more in general, not Megamix/Gigamix.

Vaeran
10-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on September 24 2011. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Hitoshi Ariga "Mega Man Gigamix Volume 3 TP"
Estimated arrival date: January 16 2012 - January 20 2012

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/timediver/superfightingrobot.jpg

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Yeah, don't listen to Amazon; they flip-flop like that all the time. UDON missing their initial projections probably doesn't help, but...

Currently (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/10/04/updates-on-udons-mega-man-ventures/), they're looking to have it out in early November.

Anonymooo
10-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I've written a review of the TPB for the site I work for, and I'm sorry if I've unwittingly stolen stuff you guys have said about it. I did really really like it.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-30-2011, 01:50 AM
What? No link?

Anonymooo
10-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Hurr I'm smart (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2011/10/29/feature-mega-man-let-the-games-begin-review)

I knew I forgot something.

Refa
10-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Sounds like MMX7/X8.

Or was that the joke?

Glass Knuckle
11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Alright, despite my initial misgivings, issue 6 finally warmed me to this in full. Keeping the first robot masters around as sidekicks is a lot of fun and gives Mega Man new characters to talk to. I love the bit with Cut Man and Ice Man arguing over who gets to wear the helmet of the destroyed Mega Man copy, in front of a very disturbed Mega Man.

Oil Man's method of speech, however, is going to get exponentially more uncomfortable if he ever takes that scarf off.

Zef
11-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey! Mega Man 7 is out today, too!

I'm still not all that comfortable with having scene-hogging Original Characters so early into its run, and the Robot Masters are too witty or self-indulgent (I keep groaning whenever Cut Man cracks wise) but it's a nice, action-y issue that sets the stage for the MM1 final battles.

There's just one problem with it.

Mega Man Gigamix 3 is also out today. And there's only one thing I can say about it without neglecting anything:

It's the perfect Mega Man comic book, if not the perfect Mega Man story altogether.

Kishi
11-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm still not all that comfortable with having scene-hogging Original Characters so early into its run

It could be so much worse (http://themechanicalmaniacs.com/articles/MMBrazil.php).

Princess. AKA "Mary Sue". Like every other female in the book, she's drawn totally different from issue to issue. She's a character created by a "mad writer" to "kill all the characters and take over the comic". Literally. Yes, that was his plan. The writer, José Roberto, was going to write Princess killing the entire Megaman cast and taking over the comic; turning it into Roberto's own original work. The editor, Sérgio Peixoto Silva, found out and fired Roberto after issue 5.

And here (http://acidocinza.awardspace.com/index.php?pagina=summary_namm02)...

After she fools around a little looking around the scenery, Princess starts saying that "these american or japanese characters, whatever! They've been around for too long. This whole small talk about good against evil, good guy looking for his fate, it's all in the past!". Rock begins to cower in his corner, asking what does she mean. Princess says that in the next issue - "if there is one" (no, I'm not making any of this up), she's going to dive in this mess they're calling a story and cut everyone's happiness short.

Then she goes on to say that during decades american characters reigned free in the brazilian comic book market, alongside the complacence of the publishers that instead of helping new talents, "opened their legs" to foreign material, just because it's cheaper. But that this time the "gringos" made a mistake: they gave to a mindless and rebellious brazilian writer the chance to vent on all the licensers and publishers and everyone that colaborated to "castrate" brazilian comic books.

She says she's going to show to those who think brazilians can't make comics, to those "cretins who love Marvel/DC, with how many chips you build a junkyard!". She then points her finger to Megaman's nose, saying she's gonna get him, his "faggot little brother" and his "retarded sister". "I'm gonna take these Bio-Roids, these pretense-Aero-Willis Mavericks (what the [tornado fang]?), I'm gonna get 'Slasher', I'm gonna get Madam Wily and show you what's a real action sequence! For I am protected by the biggest force existent in the world of comic books! I'm beyond even Galactus, Superman, Monica and Mickey! I have the protection of the story's author! I'm indestructible! And I'm gonna put an end to these iron jerks! And then I'm gonna go after who's made a fool out of my master! There won't be any stone left unturned! You just wait that I'm coming back! Or not..."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/muchalucha/NAdMM/namm_02_22.jpg

SpoonyBardOL
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Welp, I finally got the trade paperback, and it was well worth the purchase. I think it moved a bit too quickly, but overall I really liked it and can't wait for the next one. I really hope this series manages to keep going.

And, is it me, or did Guts Man reference Buttlord GT?

Super Megaman X
11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I know this isn't really the thread for this, but I felt it was a better fit than the Manga one. I've had it for a long time, but I just finally sat and read Megamix Volume 3 tonight and....wow. That may be the most epic (as well as sad) Megaman story ever told. Ariga's really got a talent for these stories, between this, the MM5 Amusement park, and the MM4 Skullman event.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-23-2011, 04:59 AM
If you thought Megamix was epic, just wait until you check out Gigamix...

Egarwaen
12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
So, the last Powered Up issue from Archie is out, and it's brilliant. I particularly like the panel where Mega Man, Roll. And Agent Krantz are just standing there appreciating the carnage of the other Robot Masters. Wily's escape plan was very clever, and it looks like hey aren't slowing down much going in to Mega Man 2...

nadia
12-09-2011, 02:45 PM
ICE MAN: "Is that robot...um, having babies?"

MEGA MAN: "I don't think that's possible."

Oh, the fanfic community says otherwise, Mega Man!

...the fanfic community...says...otherwise......

:|

Zef
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
OK, time for a whole new story arc! After the last few, underwhelming issues, #9 finally picks up the pace with less in-your-face humor and at least one surprise development and a mysterious plot twist. It's still difficult for me to stop comparing it to Mega/Gigamix, especially since the Quick Man design is almost identical to Ariga's, but I enjoyed Wood and Bubble's characterization. I'm interested in this comic book again!

Zef
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Anyone still reading this?

I was getting frustrated with this arc's "So Mega Man is going power-mad and bloodthirsty again while his family worries" because it was so similar to the first story arc... until Wily overrode Mega Man's programming by using Rock's own VWS against him. I liked that! At the very least it's a brand new development that injects some much-needed tension into the comic and will hopefully allow for more serious character development for the Light NumbersLightbots. I'm actually anticipating the next issue because I don't know what will happen next --a first in Archie's MM comic! :D

I do still wish the writers didn't feel the need to follow the Robot Master sequence one by one. Mega Man fans have played the games already, I don't want a comic version of a Let's Play! I realize I'm being unfairly biased because of Ariga's Megamix manga, but I'd rather follow a well-written story with properly developed characters than one that followed the games' structure slavishly.

The Crash Man and Metal Man fights were awesome, though. And I was even amused by the reference to Air Man Can't Be Beaten :p

Oh, and Ben Bates' interpretation of the Air Tikis (http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/octopus_oni.jpg)?

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/no_mouth_oni.jpg

Nose, but no mouth :confused:

TheSL
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm still waiting on a TPB of the second arc, I assume its not out yet?

Zef
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
The ads on the comic say it comes out on 4/17, so...

Egarwaen
03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
I've been going back and forth on whether I want to pick up the digital versions of individual issues or wait for the digital trade.

Octopus Prime
03-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Nose, but no mouth :confused:

GENIUS!

Kishi
03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
No sale.

Egarwaen
03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
So, decided to pick up the individual issues. I thought they were pretty good overall. I wished they'd given the individual robot masters a bit more time, but the "they're basically MM1 designs upgraded" angle was pretty clever. As was the "Dr. Wily is trojaning Mega Man" angle.

SpoonyBardOL
03-17-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm only picking up the trade paperbacks, which means I'm well behind since the second one isn't even out yet. (Next week!)

LBD_Nytetrayn
03-17-2012, 09:23 PM
So, decided to pick up the individual issues. I thought they were pretty good overall. I wished they'd given the individual robot masters a bit more time, but the "they're basically MM1 designs upgraded" angle was pretty clever. As was the "Dr. Wily is trojaning Mega Man" angle.

The first part of that spoiler is legit, actually.

Egarwaen
03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
The first part of that spoiler is legit, actually.

Ah, well, I'd never gotten that before. I did like how they so clearly had a bone to pick over just being "copies" of Light's original designs, even the ones - like Air Man - who were mostly original. And Mega Man is a really exceptional dick to some of the later ones. He blows up Crash Man and his entire stage. Though I could've done without the extended "Crash Man has no hands" jokes. Yes, we know, his design is stupid. Every Mega Man sprite comic ever has spent way too long pointing that out. Move on!

TheSL
03-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Found the second TPB yesterday when I was out. What the hell, why is the whole second book devoted to Time Man and Oil Man?

Egarwaen
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Found the second TPB yesterday when I was out. What the hell, why is the whole second book devoted to Time Man and Oil Man?

It's also about fleshing out Light Labs' place in the world, connecting MM1 to MM2, and giving the MM1 robot masters' personalities when they aren't under Wily's influence.

LBD_Nytetrayn
03-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Ah, well, I'd never gotten that before. I did like how they so clearly had a bone to pick over just being "copies" of Light's original designs, even the ones - like Air Man - who were mostly original. And Mega Man is a really exceptional dick to some of the later ones. He blows up Crash Man and his entire stage. Though I could've done without the extended "Crash Man has no hands" jokes. Yes, we know, his design is stupid. Every Mega Man sprite comic ever has spent way too long pointing that out. Move on!

It's actually a part of his character profile, that. Makes him clumsy, and it only gets worse when he gets angry.

TheSL
03-20-2012, 06:48 AM
It's also about fleshing out Light Labs' place in the world, connecting MM1 to MM2, and giving the MM1 robot masters' personalities when they aren't under Wily's influence.

And introducing the requisite Archie comics Mary Sue characters.

Egarwaen
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
And introducing the requisite Archie comics Mary Sue characters.

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TheSL
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

requisite Adjective: Made necessary by particular circumstances or regulations.

Mary Sue A fictional character, usually female and especially in fanfic, whose implausible talents and likeableness weaken the story.

Archie typically creates their own characters when not really necessary. The new police woman is like a ridiculous ninja badass.

Or am I missing something?

Adam
03-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Or am I missing something?

Is said police woman an idealized self-insert of the author?

SpoonyBardOL
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I think Mary Sue is one of those terms that has kinda lost some of its meaning in being used too frequently, and lots of folks tend to just throw it around to mean 'an original character that I don't like'.

I can't comment one way or another on the new characters in the Mega Man comics yet. My second TPB has shipped from Amazon, but it won't be here for a few days.

Zef
03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Is said police woman an idealized self-insert of the author?

Self-inserts are usually Mary Sues, but Mary Sues don't have to be in any way a reflection of the author --just his or her ideals of perfection, competence, charisma, beauty, or what have you. Their primary, defining trait is hogging the scene away from the original property's characters.

I said earlier that I was very uncomfortable with Archie introducing its own, "scene-stealing" characters so early into the comic's run, but there's barely been a peep from them in this arc. So, I'm willing to think of the Time Man/Oil Man arc as Archie trying out its own characterization on both a (new) supporting cast as well as non-established, "blank-slate" Robot Masters.

Egarwaen
03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
The new police woman is like a ridiculous ninja badass.

Really? What does she do that's "like a ridiculous ninja badass"? She pops up out of no-where once when Mega Man and the Robot Masters are talking about where to find Roll and pulls out her cell phone and uses her police connections to call Dr. Light in jail. While making phone calls is a well-known power of especially badass ninjas, I don't think it's a particularly good case for her being a Mary Sue in this situation. She's just helping the robots move forward. Hardly stealing the spotlight.

Later, she saves Roll from an automated defense turret while Mega Man and the Robot Masters are battling it out. Which is, honestly, the least badass thing to happen in that issue.

I can't comment on what Archie might or might not do in other lines. But the two detective characters are hardly offensive original creations. And expecting the comic to not use any characters that don't appear in the video games is entirely unreasonable.

LBD_Nytetrayn
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
"No new characters ever, unless they're made by Capcom." Got it.

TheSL
03-21-2012, 06:26 AM
This was the part that annoyed me. (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/2012-03-20173054.jpg) She couldn't just be a cop, she had to be an amazing ninja cop.

GoggleBob
03-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Everyone complaining about the Archie characters are forgetting, the name of the "ninja girl cop" is Agent Rosie Krantz, and her partner is Agent Gil D. Stern. Neither of them are dead.

Mega Hamlet!

Egarwaen
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
This was the part that annoyed me. (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/2012-03-20173054.jpg) She couldn't just be a cop, she had to be an amazing ninja cop.

She's an amazing ninja cop for all of one page before making a phone call. It doesn't detract from the screen time of the robot masters, it isn't a major plot point, and she hasn't shown up at all in the second arc. Why does it matter if she arrives in a dramatic, eye-catching, and fun manner?

Plus, what Bob said.

SpoonyBardOL
03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
My copy of the second TPB arrived yesterday (third one's not till August? Maaaaaaan) and I read through it. Sorry, TheSL, I just don't buy the Mary Sue charge. You don't like her addition, that's fine, but she's not a Sue.

I never really noticed Oil Man's prominant scarf on the last page of the first TPB, buuuuuuuut I guess I can see why they decided to cover the lower half of his face.

I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't more to the aftermath of Time Man's rescue of Dr. Wily. We see plainly in a few sequential panels that while time was stopped for the characters it was still going on the big attention-grabbing clock in the background. Mega Man was even facing it the entire time. I was so sure there was going to be a moment when he realized this (Hey why did the clock suddenly jump ahead three minutes?!) which would've led him to the old lab where Time Man and Oil Man were, but nope. No dice. Kind of a missed opportunity, I think.

LBD_Nytetrayn
03-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Time Man can only slow the progression of time around him, rather than stop it completely as Flash Man will prove able to do.

Of course, if we base it on how Flash Man's ability works, then Time Man is simply moving too fast to be seen-- or close to it, at any rate. For everyone else, time is passing as normal.

SpoonyBardOL
03-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Ah, really? It looked like total stoppage in the comic (never played Powered Up myself, though now that I remember Brickroad's LP, I guess his ability was to slow it, not stop it)

There's still the matter of the gigantic clock in the background, which went ahead several minutes.

Unless it was showing seconds and not minutes?

LBD_Nytetrayn
03-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I thought it moved only one or two minutes. Considering he was just strolling to go about his business, though...

LBD_Nytetrayn
04-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Sorry for the double-post, but I thought this preview of issue 12 (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/04/04/the-hair-raising-preview-of-archies-mega-man-12/), the end of the Mega Man 2 story arc, might be interesting.

Just beware of spoilers. Yes, spoilers for an adaptation of a game nearly 25 years old. Seriously.

Also, if you're going to be at PAX East this weekend, you can be one of the first to purchase the Mega Man: Robot Master Field Guide (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/04/05/be-one-of-the-first-to-get-the-mega-man-robot-master-field-guide-at-pax-east/) from UDON's booth.

SpoonyBardOL
04-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Ok, that exchange between Oil Man and Ice Man at the end of the preview made me smile. If they keep doing tounge-in-cheek nods to the games like that this series will be aaaaallriiiight.

Also, unrelated to the Archie series, is the first issue of Mega Man Megamix out of print or something? I got the other issues of Gigamix, but I've only ever seen issues 2 and 3 of Megamix available on Amazon.ca. Is it just bad timing on my part?

LBD_Nytetrayn
04-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Give this (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/02/29/notes-from-the-udonground/) and the links it contains a good look-over. Should answer your questions.

Zef
04-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Also, if you're going to be at PAX East this weekend, you can be one of the first to purchase the Mega Man: Robot Master Field Guide (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/04/05/be-one-of-the-first-to-get-the-mega-man-robot-master-field-guide-at-pax-east/) from UDON's booth.

I did! I did! I did purchase the Field Guide! :D

And I was having a really great time reading it, too, but then I was curious about who did the art, and flipped to the end to check the credits, and...

Amazing job, you guys :D I didn't know it was your work! I love how the profiles strike a perfect balance between serious, earnest analysis and the goofiness of the RMs' personalities. And I laughed at the Mysterious Project Zero's signature quote :p

LBD_Nytetrayn
04-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Glad you like it! Though, if I'm not mistaken, the art is all Capcom (save for the modification of what you mentioned).

Speaking of which, I was the one who really pushed for those to be in there-- they weren't originally part of the plan, but I felt they were too relevant to leave out.

Now, here's a question for you: Did you find the Protomen reference I snuck in?

Egarwaen
04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
So, turns out the last issue of the Mega Man 2 arc came out this week! It was pretty good!

In particular, it was loaded down with clever, tongue-in-cheek fan service. Mega Man's brainwashing problem gets solved in the first few pages, and this is followed by a madcap boss rush. This includes Guts Man getting pissed off and smashing up the Guts Dozer, Bomb Man trivializing the Boobeam Trap, and Mega Man discovering he should've gotten the Metal Blades first, not last.

The "Dr. Wily Is An Alien" bit was brilliantly handled, and Wily's dialog in that segment is priceless. I always loved that MM2 ends with Wily trying to convince Mega Man he's some kind of bizarre outer space invader, and the authors seem to have chosen to play up the camp!

My guess, based on the "next issue" preview, is that we're going to get alternating game story and original story arcs of four issues each. So the next four will be some kind of bridge story, then they'll play Mega Man 3 fairly straight, then another bridge story, and so on.

Seems like a good structure!

Zef
04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
My guess, based on the "next issue" preview, is that we're going to get alternating game story and original story arcs of four issues each. So the next four will be some kind of bridge story, then they'll play Mega Man 3 fairly straight, then another bridge story, and so on.

Seems like a good structure!

Yup! They already did that with "Time Keeps On Slipping," but Oil Man and Time Man were more or less Mega Man 1.5. This upcoming arc involving Pharaoh Man is completely new, and it might take the Mega Man 4 part in new directions, so I'm excited about the comic once again :D

Zenny
04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
So I got the first issue of this as a Festivus gift from LBD_Nytetrayn. I liked it a lot, but my 3-year-old daughter LOVES it. We've read it dozens of times. She insists on calling her dad "Dr. Light", talks about robots, and has even been calling herself "Princess Megaman" lately. (She is the girly, pink, dress-and-crown type, so naturally she has to be a princess everything.) I picked up the second trade recently, and it's the only thing she wants to read. Between this and her love of watching me play Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy, she's pretty well versed in gaming already.

In sum, best Festivus present ever!

LBD_Nytetrayn
04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Woo-hoo! I win!

...now if only the Robot Master Field Guide had been out in time for Festivus...

Octopus Prime
05-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks to FCBD, I was finally able to actually find copy of the TPBs! So I bought them! Both!

I liked them both quite a lot, but the MM1-arc just a weensy bit more.
Most importantly though, the last page has Wily building Wood Man by taking a chainsaw to a log, while sipping some lemonade.

Which fits in to my view of how Wily is just so well

Egarwaen
05-12-2012, 06:32 PM
The first issue of the new arc is out! I'm sure it's going to attract a lot of hate, because there's a bunch of original characters again! Predictably, I enjoyed it.

- I'm terribly amused that they're actually working the Lanfront ruins into the story. My wife watched a video LP of the game they're from a couple weeks back, and I'm now looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

- The debate was predictable, but interesting. I do like how they keep hammering home Light's somewhat hypocritical attitude towards his robots, particularly how they contrast it with society-at-large's hypocritical attitude towards robots.

- The anti-robot revolutionaries are predictable, but potentially fun. I like that Light's programmed his robots with at least one of the Three Laws; despite being nonsensical, it makes for good stories.

Zef
05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I'm very excited about this arc, since it will be a wholly original story (well, except for the ruins thing.) And I don't mind the new characters as long as they don't steal the spotlight too much --having people from Light's past is always an intriguing concept to me, especially after Gigamix 3. I also liked that Cossack and Kalinka were introduced this early, and I wonder what the plan for Pharaoh Man is.

(I chuckled at his jab at how Mega Man should in fact be called Copy Man :D)

In fact, I liked this issue so much that my only problem with it is the truly astonishing amount of cheek-mouth. Come on, the artist is so much better than this! Past issues have proved it! It really got distracting after just halfway through.

LBD_Nytetrayn
05-13-2012, 01:51 PM
In fact, I liked this issue so much that my only problem with it is the truly astonishing amount of cheek-mouth. Come on, the artist is so much better than this! Past issues have proved it! It really got distracting after just halfway through.

I... don't think this artist has drawn any prior issues...

Zef
05-13-2012, 02:22 PM
I... don't think this artist has drawn any prior issues...

...ah. Then they should get the previous artist back :p

LBD_Nytetrayn
05-13-2012, 04:21 PM
...which? It's a different one for each arc. :p

Octopus Prime
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks to Comixology, I got caught up fully on the book now; the Mega Man 2 arc was definitely the best storyline there's been so far.

It was kind of chilling to see Mega Man be consumed with bloodlust when fighting the first set of Robot Masters in the initial arc, but that was nothing compared to him straight-up executing Heat and Crash man.

Also this (http://4thletter.net/wp-content/uploads//megametal2.jpg)

breakman
05-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Robot Master Field Guide

I got this today. It's really neat!

Kishi
05-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I got it a week ago, too. It's pretty great.

Now, here's a question for you: Did you find the Protomen reference I snuck in?

I came in here to mention this. Nice one.

LBD_Nytetrayn
05-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks! =D

nadia
06-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Especially since I'm the Protomen fan, not him.

Egarwaen
06-16-2012, 04:07 PM
The second issue of the LANfront arc is out, and it's pretty good! They seem to be going with a different origin for the MM3 masters than the one nominally used in the game. I wonder if we're even going to get the "Wily retends to be reformed" thing at all?

SpoonyBardOL
07-14-2012, 06:41 PM
So Issue 19 is going to be all about girl power. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/07/13/the-ladies-take-over-for-mega-man-19/)

Though, something seems kind of... off with Splash Woman's face.

TE-Ryan
07-26-2012, 03:10 PM
I really like this comic, and it's probably the only one ever that I'm going to try to keep up with. I'm just going to wait for the TPBs though, I can't be bothered enough to try to keep track of the individual issues.

I wonder how long we have to wait for the Battle Network arc? Just kidding... don't hurt me please!

LBD_Nytetrayn
08-02-2012, 01:08 AM
...infinity plus one?

I mean, Battle Network is not only a separate universe, but practically a separate license. Maybe if ShoPro loosens their reigns on it a bit (they did let UDON do that artbook), or unless something has changed in the past few years...

Donny
08-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Heres something I've been wondering. What are the odds that Capcom will allow Archie to do say...a Legends comic that picks up where the second game left off? Even if its nothing they officially adopt as canon, it'd probably be the next best thing for fans of the game looking for closure.

LBD_Nytetrayn
08-03-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm only guessing, but I'd say better than getting an Archie Battle Network comic or a Legends 3 any time in the next few years.

It also depends on the licensing arrangement.

TE-Ryan
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm only guessing, but I'd say better than getting an Archie Battle Network comic or a Legends 3 any time in the next few years.

Legends 3 is still cancelled, right? I'm pretty sure Parish would have had it on the front page if it came back, but I haven't kept up with any fan craziness that may have persisted since that terrible day.

I think a Legends series might be best as fan appreciation, but an X series would be the obvious next step, what with it being a direct followup to the original. Though if we stay on that train of thought, we'd have to get through the Zero and ZX stories before spinning off into any alternate universe business. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I'm not sure whether Legends is considered a "sequel" or an alternate universe. Normally I'm pretty on top of silly Megaman lore.

Also, hidden text says my BN suggestion was a joke. After following the manga and anime, I'm pretty much EXE'd out.

Donny
08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Its arguably both? It started off as an alternate universe but then the ZX series started to bridge the gap. Though there was never anything shown as obvious as the Zero blue print that popped up in the arcade game. It wouldn't have surprised me to see a third ZX game end with the world flooded.

LBD_Nytetrayn
08-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Legends has always been a part of the main timeline. Capcom USA was just very poor at establishing that.

waterpot
08-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Arg I waited until issue l6 Came out so I could buy issue 15 half price ( using archie app) but Now 15 its not avaible at the momment argg

Egarwaen
08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
So, I finally caught up on the end of volume 3. That was pretty good! I especially liked the explanation they gave for the whole Proto Man / Break Man / Blues thing. It was coherent and well-written! I was impressed!

Zef
08-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah, this whole "filler" mini-arc was surprisingly well done, and it developed everyone's character ten times more (and fifty times better) than the game-based arcs. I too loved the Mega Man 3 lead-ins, especially that Proto/Break Man bit, and at the same time I'd like to see more of Quake Woman and her creator. I also enjoyed seeing her and Pharaoh Man using their finer abilities instead of drilling/burning everything down.

I just laugh uproariously whenever I see that giant spike of hair that Proto Man somehow keeps under his helmet :D

SpoonyBardOL
09-09-2012, 06:34 AM
That ponytail is magnificent. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/09/05/preview-of-mega-man-17-the-red-raider-arrives/#more-17332)

Egarwaen
09-16-2012, 03:59 PM
That ponytail is magnificent. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/09/05/preview-of-mega-man-17-the-red-raider-arrives/#more-17332)

A fantastic issue all around!

Zef
12-12-2012, 09:39 PM
So Mega Man #20...

Uh...

Yeah...?

Nevermind the extremely abrupt opening (the Mega Man Killers and Wily Wars robot masters are all gathered, without even a hint to where they came from) and the completely unresolved plot threads that were dangled like the proverbial carrot (why show off Quint so much and tease about his origin if he's only gonna show up for a few panels to shoot at Mega Man?) Is this Archie's way of summarizing everything from Mega Man 4 through 10, including the Game Boy games and MM&B, so they can set the stage and characters for the Sonic crossover four months from now? Even if it meant skipping MM 3 and the Ra Moon subplot it had absorbed and whose resolution I was looking forward to?

(I was also looking forward to having the Game Boy and Saturn games' stories adapted to comic form, because I never played those. Tough luck, it seems...)

And with Wily traveling 40 years into the future and NOT coming back in this issue, and the next four issues dealing with a brand new Emerald Spears arc, I'm 100% sure that his time-traveling plot will be the catalyst for the Sonic crossover. Which is infuriating because my concerns about the crossover affecting the regular plotlines are already coming to pass.

I had planned to just skip the event and come back when it was over so I didn't annoy anyone anymore with my complaints :(

At least the variant cover was nice :o

Super Megaman X
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm not entirely sure on this, but I heard somewhere that after the "Worlds Collide" arc, the story is going back to MM3. I don't believe they plan to skip any games in the comic's run.

Egarwaen
12-13-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm not entirely sure on this, but I heard somewhere that after the "Worlds Collide" arc, the story is going back to MM3. I don't believe they plan to skip any games in the comic's run.

It is, however, further proof that crossovers are the worst thing in comics.

Zef
12-13-2012, 01:28 PM

But doesn't "Worlds Collide" have Bass and Proto Man in it? Where are they gonna come from, if the comic hasn't introduced them yet?

And aside from that, why did the comic go from Wily rallying his forces in the Ra Moon ruins with the Seconds and Thirds, to him suddenly taking over "Chronos Labs" (the Wily Tower from Wily Wars) with a brand new squad of never-before-seen robots? And I didn't notice it before, but now that I realize it, Mega Man recognized Proto Man as such in that brief Mega Man & Bass segment, so the Mega Man from start of the issue is already long past MM3 at least.

If it was just a 25th Anniversary one-shot, fine, but it ended with Wily still in the future, Rock thrown back to some indeterminate time before the events of the issue, and the next arc is an original story. If they ever go back to the MM3 stuff, and then take the next couple of years leading up to the events of #20, it'll be at least nine months from now. So it wrecks the momentum of the plotline they had been building up, throws in a bunch of plot devices that look a lot like seeds for the crossover (like Wily's situation, that expanding ball of temporal energy, and Bass literally vanishing from the plot from one scene to the next when they shoot that ball,) leaves a bunch of unresolved plot points, and makes it unclear if the Mega Man from the end of the issue was returned to his own time or to some time after MM2. And because of that last bit, I don't even know if the upcoming Spears arc is supposed to follow Roll's adventure in #19, or if it comes just before/after/as an alternative to the Wily Wars.

Or, in other words, when is the beginning of #20 supposed to happen and when did it end up?

...ugh, now look at all the nonsense I just wrote. This is Mega Man, not X-Men :( I don't want to go Full Nerd about superhero-style continuity issues and convoluted timelines in a series as clean and clear-cut as Mega Man. :(

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I'd just take it as a celebration of the 25th anniversary-- they've been breaking a lot of strides lately for one-offs, including Sonic at the Olympic games and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed tie-ins.

Also, note the opening-- this comic is set in the not-too distant future. He goes back in time to the Ra Moon and Gamma encounters, which he remembers, before going forward to MM4 and on.

It might also be a way to get Bass involved in the crossover. But by the end of the issue, they note that Mega Man's internal clock has jumped by years, but his short-term memory got whacked, meaning he doesn't remember any of it.

Just enjoy it as a celebration of Mega Man's career, and a peek at what's to come-- I was personally surprised that they're apparently going to use Mega Man Shadow, so that's something to look forward to.

Adam
12-14-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm just happy the Mega Man comic has decided to respect the canonicity of Bob and George.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Wait, what?

SpoonyBardOL
01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Volume 4 of the TPB is out! I got my copy! Hooray! There was only a four month wait or so between Vol 3 and 4, so hopefully the next one won't be--

Volume 5 doesn't come out until June?! D:

TE-Ryan
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
That's... a long time. But that should be just enough time for me to get and read Volume 4, because I just finished up Vol 3 yesterday. That and I just ordered $100 worth of TMNT comics from Amazon. I think I'll be set for a while.

Octopus Prime
01-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Not that I have any particular problem with a bunch of one-offs, and not that I don't like Xander Payne as a villain, but at some point it sure would be nice to get back to the Breakman/Ra Moon/MM3 arc.

Zef
01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
it sure would be nice to get back to the Breakman/Ra Moon/MM3 arc.

the next arc is an original story too. If they ever go back to the MM3 stuff, [...] it'll be at least eight months from now. So it wrecks the momentum of the plotline they had been building up

^Updated. Assuming the Sonic crossover (three issues away) is only four issues long on the Mega Man side.

Octopus Prime
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Well, the payoff will be all the sweeter for the wait.

And if the interim has most stories focusing on the MM1 Robot Masters, then so much the better. I love those guys.

LBD_Nytetrayn
01-14-2013, 07:33 AM
I think he's waiting until after the crossover before getting into that, since it's going to be a long bit of story.

SpoonyBardOL
06-19-2013, 06:11 AM
I nearly forgot there was the original Mega Man comics thread and this isn't about crossover shenanigans at all so let's bumping time.

I got my TPB of Volume 5 yesterday, and it was pretty great. Though it still kinda bugs me I now have to wait till January for the next one, I guess they're just on a six month schedule now.

It covered the two Protoman origin chapters, Roll Tempo and Splash girl power episode, and the time traveling 'we want to show off all the later stuff we'll get to do eventually hopefully' chapter. Also the two mini comics 'Guts Man meets Concrete Man' and 'Guts Man apparently never listens to anyone'. This is good, I'm all for more Guts Man.

The time traveling 'Rock of the Ages' felt just a little fanservicey, I don't know if they're just worried about never getting through all the Mega Man games and they just really REALLY wanted to show Bass early, but it had some fun moments and I'm pretty tickled that they seem to be intent on bringing in EVERYTHING from the Classic Series they possibly can. I'm pretty sure that second appearance from Quint was supposed to represent that awful Wonderswan game.

Also Mega Man said 'What is this... I don't even...' upon seeing Yamato Man and Knight Man (personal favorite MM6 robot master, so that was also nice) fighting each other at the MM6 tournament that supposedly happened during its intro.

So yeah, as far as the trades go I'm loving the Mega Man Archie comics, I just wish I could get them faster. I suppose I could always just buy the actual issues, but I just like the trades more. I think they stack together well.

(also Protoman's hairstyle is damn ridiculous and I love everything about it)

TheSL
06-19-2013, 07:06 AM
I still haven't seen the TPB of vol 4 at the bookstore yet. I guess I need to break down and get it from Amazon.

Zef
06-19-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm pretty much done with the series, so if anyone wants the whole set of individual issues from #1 all the way to #23, I think I can negotiate :)

(Only as a set, though. I don't like having incomplete series on my shelves. Which is why I'd get rid of it in the first place.)

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-20-2013, 03:25 AM
The time traveling 'Rock of the Ages' felt just a little fanservicey, I don't know if they're just worried about never getting through all the Mega Man games and they just really REALLY wanted to show Bass early, but it had some fun moments and I'm pretty tickled that they seem to be intent on bringing in EVERYTHING from the Classic Series they possibly can. I'm pretty sure that second appearance from Quint was supposed to represent that awful Wonderswan game.

That was released on the very month-- almost the day-- of Mega Man's 25th anniversary. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to why they did that story from that. ;)

I'm pretty much done with the series, so if anyone wants the whole set of individual issues from #1 all the way to #23, I think I can negotiate :)

(Only as a set, though. I don't like having incomplete series on my shelves. Which is why I'd get rid of it in the first place.)

Really? Too bad, things (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/04/12/solicitations-covers-for-mega-man-28-the-return/) are getting ready (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/05/15/covers-and-solicitation-for-mega-man-29/) to pick up (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/06/11/covers-solicitation-for-mega-man-30/) after Worlds Collide.

Deptford
06-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Oh, Sonic.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/SendEVERYONE.png~original

This is what I live for, too.

It's like one of those impressive but ubiquitous fanart pics that jam in every possible Robot Master, except it's followed by a tremendously entertaining issue-long fight scene that lives up to and makes use of it.

And still three issues to go!

And seriously, the dude who writes both the Sonic and Mega Man comics these days is genuinely talented, witty, and clever and they all make for fine reading; and as someone who stopped reading Sonic comics over ten years ago because even then I grasped that 'this is getting terrible', I can say the fact that the current writer has managed to salvage good story and characters and concepts from the overgrown wreckage of absolute nonsense that he inherited from years and years of past Sonic writers' lunacy is amazing.

Honestly, even the Sonic comics I remember loving as a kid I've revisited now with affection, and have enjoyed sharing them with my six-year-old, but can see that they were never QUITE the masterpieces they seemed at the time.

But now? The ones written by Ian Flynn? Actually good!

And that's nice.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-30-2013, 04:53 AM
Oh, Sonic.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/SendEVERYONE.png~original

This is what I live for, too.

It's like one of those impressive but ubiquitous fanart pics that jam in every possible Robot Master, except it's followed by a tremendously entertaining issue-long fight scene that lives up to and makes use of it.

*slaps Deptford on the wrist*

There's a better version (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/06/28/preview-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-250-worlds-collide-part-9-the-ultimate-robot-master-war/) of the image out there, along with the issue's preview. Creaseless, at the very least. ;P

And still three issues to go!

And seriously, the dude who writes both the Sonic and Mega Man comics these days is genuinely talented, witty, and clever and they all make for fine reading; and as someone who stopped reading Sonic comics over ten years ago because even then I grasped that 'this is getting terrible', I can say the fact that the current writer has managed to salvage good story and characters and concepts from the overgrown wreckage of absolute nonsense that he inherited from years and years of past Sonic writers' lunacy is amazing.

Honestly, even the Sonic comics I remember loving as a kid I've revisited now with affection, and have enjoyed sharing them with my six-year-old, but can see that they were never QUITE the masterpieces they seemed at the time.

But now? The ones written by Ian Flynn? Actually good!

And that's nice.

Would you like me to pass that along for you? I'm sure he'd love to hear it. =)

Daikaiju
06-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes please, send him our love and ask him to do a MML comic!

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-30-2013, 05:09 PM
I'll pass it along, but I think MML might be beyond his means at the moment. ;P

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
I don't know which thread is better, so I'm posting in both. In any case, preview for the last part of Worlds Collide (http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/07/25/preview-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-251-worlds-collide-part-12-the-end-is-here/), due in comic shops this Wednesday.

waterpot
08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
so everything is back to normal, everyone forgot the crossoverthing and now we go back to protoman battle, Ramuh betrays wily as always and the second and third numbers are under his control.
then provokes a blackout that turn off all non ramuh robots and tech (plant man and bright man are introduced at last)

Wily ran away to his second lab to finish his latest non ramuh proyect
(I think that his proyect is going to be Bass since he uses an alternative
energy source)

Egarwaen
08-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Pretty awesome.

Day 1 purchase

Octopus Prime
10-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Do you like the comic about the Little Metal Boy?

How would you like one about the Super Fighting Robot? (http://comicsalliance.com/archie-comics-mega-man-x-comic-backup/)

Zef
10-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm intrigued! It has the potential to be as awesome as the regular series, or to go the way of the games. I trust the writing team to be aware of the latter's issues, though, so high hopes all around.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-05-2013, 05:02 AM

How would you like one about the Super Fighting Robot? (http://comicsalliance.com/archie-comics-mega-man-x-comic-backup/)

Harsh.

Daikaiju
10-05-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm really hoping they'll get to do Legends and get Volnutt off the moon.

SpoonyBardOL
01-17-2014, 05:49 AM
The long delay between trade paperbacks nearly made me forget about the Mega Man comic.

But then stuff like this reminded me. (http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-mega-man-33/1100-147858/)

Looks like Vol. 6 comes out soon, and at least two more are scheduled for later this year, unlike last year's relative drought. Vol. 8 ought to cover up to #32, so I won't be waiting as long as I thought to finally read all of the Blackout story, hooray!

LBD_Nytetrayn
01-19-2014, 02:59 AM
Glad to see this thread revived; I hope people here are following this...

Red Silvers
01-19-2014, 05:54 AM
I recently bought issues 1-16, and now I have 17-23 en route.

Then I will have the complete series.

Daikaiju
01-24-2014, 12:49 PM
So. Who thinks Dr. Wily will blame all his schemes to date on Ra Moon? :smirk:

Zef
01-24-2014, 01:17 PM
So. Who thinks Dr. Wily will blame all his schemes to date on Ra Moon? :smirk:

As of the end of this arc and the teaser of the next, he only blamed his actions during the global blackout on Ra Moon. And he was still carted off to jail despite Mega Man vouching for him, all because Light tipped off the cops. So if the next arc involves him teaming up with Light to build Gamma as revenge for that doublecross, I'll be rooting for him :p

SpoonyBardOL
05-28-2014, 05:21 AM
I finally picked up the second volume of the Mega Man x Sonic crossover, and oh my god this series you guys.

I'm not even a fan of Sonic and I'm fanboying at some of the stuff in here, I guess I've just absorbed enough Sonic fandom from around here via osmosis or whatever.

I think my favorite touch was the fact that Snively was very probably in the cell next to Dr. Light.

But also the whole 'Genesis Squad' thing.

And Sonic trying to give MMX Maverick names to some of his Roboticized pals.

And Wily and Eggman building a giant death robot clearly based off the Wily Machine IX.

This series you guys. :D I know I'm super late to the party with it, but if anyone else hasn't checked it out yet you really ought to. I'm kind of sad there's only one more volume left.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-04-2014, 02:26 AM
And Wily and Eggman building a giant death robot clearly based off the Wily Machine IX.

Half-based on Wily Machine IX; the other half was based on the Death Egg Robot from Sonic 2/4. ;)

Chu
06-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I haven't read much of Archie Mega Man except for the first volume and the Sonic crossover, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I find it a delight! I really gotta nab me the other volumes so I can catch up.

(By the way, if you're at all curious about reading Sonic, too, read it from the crossover and continue on to the issues that happen after that. There is pretty much no reason to read anything before the crossover unless you're intensely curious. The Sonic comics are made pretty much the same people as the Mega Man comics, so they're good too!)

waterpot
06-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Still reading it
Love the capcom characters cameos
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/tavo2/4454f6b86eef5f129c3f230d3c3afd09_zpsf4402e7f.jpg

SpoonyBardOL
07-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Got the final part of the crossover TPB yesterday!

Oh man that every-Robot-Master-ever melee was aweeeesoooomeeee, it was a lot of fun picking out the individual ones in the chaos of the fight.

Actually just assume the rest of my comments about the crossover is just more fanboy gushing, because it really was super great.

(...was that a Mecha-Sally shown at the end there? Like, Sonic SatAM Sally? Is that stuff canon in the Archie series? I admit I don't know my Archie-Sonic lore. Was kinda weird all the same.)

ghosttaster
07-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Damn, you really had me hoping that somehow, somewhere, someone had greenlit a series based on the Ruby-Spears cartoon...

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Got the final part of the crossover TPB yesterday!

Oh man that every-Robot-Master-ever melee was aweeeesoooomeeee, it was a lot of fun picking out the individual ones in the chaos of the fight.

Actually just assume the rest of my comments about the crossover is just more fanboy gushing, because it really was super great.

(...was that a Mecha-Sally shown at the end there? Like, Sonic SatAM Sally? Is that stuff canon in the Archie series? I admit I don't know my Archie-Sonic lore. Was kinda weird all the same.)

At the end where? Volume 3? I didn't see Mecha Sally there.

Yes.

No.

Going into the crossover, they'd just managed to capture Mecha Sally, a roboticized Princess Sally. She has been in the book since the beginning, along with Rotor, Antoine, and Bunnie (well, save for a few issues for Bunnie).

SatAM is not canon to Archie, though several elements were drawn from it. Much of that is negated now, though, as the next issue begins a reboot following from Worlds Collide.

SpoonyBardOL
10-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Here's a review of Mega Man #41 (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/9/30/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-41-a-boy-and-his-dog), starting off the Mega Man 3 story arc proper. It's almost enough to make me stop getting the TPB's only and start picking up the actual issues to get to this point quicker.

Almost.

Speaking of TPB's, my copy of Blackout is finally on its way. Can't wait for that. :hop:

Zef
10-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Here's a review of Mega Man #41 (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/9/30/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-41-a-boy-and-his-dog), starting off the Mega Man 3 story arc proper.

Snake Man's musings about his recent past with Mega Man were a bit odd, considering they hardly interacted during Blackout (Snakes was part of the greater "Ra Moon Army" faction) but in the end I decided he was being melodramatic and self-serving, so that's OK :p But I'll say this: I've never even tried to use Top Spin on him, so does it really work as well as the comic would imply?

Next issue will have Shadow Man, and, if they go by weaknesses, I'll assume Spark Man too. I wonder if he'll share Crash Man's obsession with hands from a couple of years ago.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-04-2014, 04:07 AM
I don't think that's part of his profile; of course, all that means, though, is that there would be no basis in game canon for it.

SpoonyBardOL: Thanks for the plug! =)

Red Silvers
10-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Ever since the crossover, Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic Universe are pretty consistently the comics I buy every week that I can.

SpoonyBardOL
10-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Hey all, remember that Sonic and Mega Man crossover dealy which was super awesome and fun?

How about... again? (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/10/7/archie-announces-mega-man-and-sonic-in-worlds-unite)

No real plot information this time around, besides that this time its around worlds uniting rather than colliding. I'm not sure where they can go with this since despite 'colliding' at the start of the first crossover, Mega Man and Sonic had pretty much united by the second act, so I guess they're just going to unite... again?

But hey, if this means that Wily and Robotnik can have an extremely awkward reunion, followed up by a revival of their mad scientist bromance, even if brief, then I am so down.

Zef
10-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Hey all, remember that Sonic and Mega Man crossover dealy which was super awesome and fun?

How about... again? (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/10/7/archie-announces-mega-man-and-sonic-in-worlds-unite)

Worth noting is the line where they say "'Worlds Unite' will be looped into the regular narrative," which is contrary to the belief it would be a separate mini-series and confirming what writer Ian Flynn had said on his forum (noted in the comments of our story). Unlike before, though, it sounds like they won't be putting everything on hold, and that it will instead follow what's currently going on in the comic at the time they get started.

Gah :( Yes, I am complaining again, because this is exactly what I didn't want to happen in the first crossover (which I didn't mind because it was a completely standalone thing and didn't affect the MM comic at all.)

Red Silvers
10-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Well at least this time they aren't trying to simultaneously retcon Sonic's comic history.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-30-2014, 09:37 PM
I felt compelled to update with this very important preview (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/10/28/preview-pages-for-mega-man-42-legends-of-the-blue-bomber-part-2).

Excitemike
10-30-2014, 09:56 PM
So you're supposed to read Dr. Light in the Elmer Fudd voice, right?

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-30-2014, 10:23 PM
After "three" seasons of the Mega Man cartoon, that's the voice I tend to hear for him.

Jeanie
10-30-2014, 10:29 PM
I felt compelled to update with this very important preview (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/10/28/preview-pages-for-mega-man-42-legends-of-the-blue-bomber-part-2).

Preview? The digital version is out now...

Also major props to Ian Flynn for going way deep in the research with Shadow Man's backstory.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Preview? The digital version is out now...

Also major props to Ian Flynn for going way deep in the research with Shadow Man's backstory.

Well, it's only a few pages of the whole, so yeah, preview.

Red Silvers
10-31-2014, 03:54 AM
After "three" seasons of the Mega Man cartoon, that's the voice I tend to hear for him.

As for Dr. Wily, well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Wyrnn/Old%20Comics/016.jpg

So, I assume Mega Man V comes in after 6 timelinewise?

SpoonyBardOL
10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
So that whole Shadow Man thing, is there actually something behind that? I always thought it was something made up for the Archie series...

Jeanie
10-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Inafune has said in interviews that Shadow Man's body is not from Earth.

Zef
10-31-2014, 10:08 AM
IIRC, he's always been described as an alien robot, probably all the way back to Nintendo Power. Maybe even the manual? Anyway, it predates Internet fandom.

What amused me about this issue is that the "Rangers" are all named after the number of members in a musical group, with a Trio and a Quartet and everything :p Makes me wonder if there's a Solo out there, too.

Also, this is the second time Terra has been directly linked to Ra Moon in a comic book.

LBD_Nytetrayn
10-31-2014, 01:51 PM
As for Dr. Wily, well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Wyrnn/Old%20Comics/016.jpg

Naturally. =)

So, I assume Mega Man V comes in after 6 timelinewise?

Hard to say, and I don't know what Ian will do with it. Its place has always been a little ambiguous; an official timeline did place it after 6, but that makes little sense given the end of 6 and beginning of 7 tie in to one-another.

It's usually accepted as being in between MM5 and 6, where SAR is usually regarded, as the absence of Bass led people to believe neither took place after 7. I can't remember, but I think a later timeline might have placed it there, too.

So that whole Shadow Man thing, is there actually something behind that? I always thought it was something made up for the Archie series...

There is! He's a robot of alien origins, but Capcom never really delved further than that with it.

IIRC, he's always been described as an alien robot, probably all the way back to Nintendo Power. Maybe even the manual? Anyway, it predates Internet fandom.

Not quite that far back; I think it did predate the internet fandom, but only by way of sourcebooks and the like.

What amused me about this issue is that the "Rangers" are all named after the number of members in a musical group, with a Trio and a Quartet and everything :p Makes me wonder if there's a Solo out there, too.

Marshals, and it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, this is the second time [SPOILER]Terra has been directly linked to Ra Moon in a comic book.

When was the first?

waterpot
11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
In megaman gigamix

Kishi
11-01-2014, 11:34 AM
It was Dark Moon in Gigamix, which made sense because it's from MMV. Ariga incorporated aspects of Ra Moon's design into it, though.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-01-2014, 03:28 PM
It was Dark Moon in Gigamix, which made sense because it's from MMV. Ariga incorporated aspects of Ra Moon's design into it, though.

Indeed.

Makes me wonder if Dark Moon might end up being Ra Moon reborn or something now...

SpoonyBardOL
11-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Shadow Man Stuff

Huh! I had no idea, that's super neat.

And even neater that they're taking all this stuff into account.

SpoonyBardOL
11-21-2014, 09:26 AM
The Mega Man Network's review of Issue 43. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/11/21/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-43-narrow-programming)

Aw Needle Man... :(

Jeanie
11-21-2014, 09:31 AM
The Mega Man Network's review of Issue 43. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/11/21/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-43-narrow-programming)

Aw Needle Man... :(

As Needle Man swings above Mega Man dodging the ship defenses, we get a nice little moment where Needle Man reveals himself to be one of the smartest, most introspective Robot Masters we've ever met in the comic series so far. When Mega Man walks into the boss room, there he is knitting a sweater. With Wily's face on it. And the words, "World's Worst Boss" emblazoned underneath it.

Everyone always said that Needle Man was one of the sharpest RM's in the series.

Zef
11-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Everyone always said that Needle Man was one of the sharpest RM's in the series.

Yup, he was always on point. He died needlessly.

Red Silvers
11-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Every issue of this series makes me happy that I got into it.

SpoonyBardOL
12-15-2014, 06:38 AM
So that new Mega Man/Sonic Crossover, wondering how they're going to top the previous one?

How about by throwing Mega Man X and Sonic Boom into the mix? (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/12/12/ign-reveals-exclusive-worlds-unite-teaser) Snaaaaaaap.

I guess any sort of crossover between Classic and X was bound to happen in the Archie comic SOMEDAY. However I'm not as clear on how different the worlds of Vanilla Sonic and Sonic Boom are, isn't Sonic Boom just a different style of Sonic? Is it an alternate universe? Future timeline? Just the same characters but a few years later? Is there already an Archie Sonic Boom comic that explains some of this? What's the deal there?

Hmmm, maybe we won't be seeing a revival of Wily and Eggman's bromance after all. Maybe Vanilla Eggman will team up with Boom Eggman!

Zef
12-15-2014, 06:48 AM
Has it been confirmed whether the new crossover will have lasting repercussions in the main Mega Man storyline? Worlds Collide didn't, but I heard that this one might...

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-16-2014, 04:40 AM
So that new Mega Man/Sonic Crossover, wondering how they're going to top the previous one?

How about by throwing Mega Man X and Sonic Boom into the mix? (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/12/12/ign-reveals-exclusive-worlds-unite-teaser) Snaaaaaaap.

I guess any sort of crossover between Classic and X was bound to happen in the Archie comic SOMEDAY. However I'm not as clear on how different the worlds of Vanilla Sonic and Sonic Boom are, isn't Sonic Boom just a different style of Sonic? Is it an alternate universe? Future timeline? Just the same characters but a few years later? Is there already an Archie Sonic Boom comic that explains some of this? What's the deal there?

Hmmm, maybe we won't be seeing a revival of Wily and Eggman's bromance after all. Maybe Vanilla Eggman will team up with Boom Eggman!

Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe, the comics, pretty much follow the regular Sonic games with some other elements thrown in (characters from the two early 90s cartoons, mainly). Action-adventure stuff, mainly.

Sonic Boom, the games aside, is very comedy-oriented. Many jokes, a bit of slapstick, and Eggman usually steals the show. It's not quite as zany as Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was, but it's extremely continuity-lite and episodic.

Here's one ep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUkBGxxhZhk) to give you an idea.

SpoonyBardOL
12-16-2014, 06:58 AM
That much I knew, but I was wondering how Archie was handling Sonic Boom, at least for the purposes of this crossover. The article mentions 'new casts' being added, which to me implied that Sonic Boom would be bringing all of its characters on board. So does that mean there would be two versions of Sonic/Tails/Eggman/etc in this crossover, or would Sonic Boom just be bringing in the NEW characters and there would still just be one of the regular cast?

Cuarzo Falcone
12-16-2014, 11:52 PM
From the two issues I've read so far, they're handling it as completely separate, like if the two main Sonic comics were the Ninja Turtles cartoon from 2003, Sonic Boom would be the TMNT cartoon from the late 80's, only with the zaniness stuck on "Turtles Forever" levels.

SpoonyBardOL
12-17-2014, 12:21 PM
I guess we'll see how they do the crossover, then. I supposed two versions of the Sonic main cast is entirely possible. Might set up some good gags, maybe Sonic will lament how Mega Man's alter ego is so cool and brooding while he's stuck with a bandaged goofball.

Anyway, the cover for #47 of Mega Man has been previewed and uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/12/16/mega-man-47-covers-and-solicitation)

Red Silvers
12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Not really sure what to think of the idea of a new crossover.

madhair60
12-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Anyway, the cover for #47 of Mega Man has been previewed and uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/12/16/mega-man-47-covers-and-solicitation)

Any chance of rehosting the image? Can't get on this site here...

Kishi
12-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Cover (http://i.imgur.com/i9izgOu.jpg) by Spaz
Variant (http://i.imgur.com/uqERnb8.jpg) by "T.REX"

madhair60
12-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Thanks!

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Here (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/12/17/preview-pages-for-mega-man-44-legends-of-the-blue-bomber-part-4) are the preview pages for this week's release. Good issue, I must say, but hopefully the review will be up later today.

Check back around 10am EST for the Free Comic Book Day "Worlds Unite" solicit.

Ventrue
12-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm really hoping for some TPB collections. It's a pain to get singles around here.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-19-2014, 07:47 AM
I'm really hoping for some TPB collections. It's a pain to get singles around here.

Like, for Christmas?

Because there are all sorts of TPBs already available.

Zef
12-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Oh, come on :(

I've always felt bad for Spark Man, what with US Mega Man shooting him in the groin, his relative obscurity next to the other Thirds, and his complete inability to hold a teacup, but the latest comic just made him the saddest Robot Master ever http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-smith.gif

SpoonyBardOL
12-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Hey now, Roll will mess you up with that broomstick.

It's why I fear for the bad guys (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/12/19/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-44-leaving-the-lights-on) in this month's issue (spoilers, of course).

Quoting from the MEGAMAS thread because I wanna talk about it here.

I'm honestly getting more and more impressed with the overall writing and plotting of the comic, the whole thing with Dr. Light leaving a blind spot for Blues to get into the lab which inadvertently leads to the crap hitting the fan was really clever, major props to them for that touch.

Though Doc Robot looks a touch goofy in that last panel, especially with how badass he looked for the covers of Issue 47, but hey, it's an action pose.

Dammit when is the next TPB coming out :(

Red Silvers
12-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Oh, come on :(

I've always felt bad for Spark Man, what with US Mega Man shooting him in the groin, his relative obscurity next to the other Thirds, and his complete inability to hold a teacup, but the latest comic just made him the saddest Robot Master ever http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-smith.gif

Don't read Bob and George.

Zef
12-20-2014, 05:45 AM
Don't read Bob and George.

Why, what happens to him there?

Octopus Prime
12-20-2014, 06:50 AM
It's More of a general statement then being related to anything you said.

Though I'm pretty sure the "he has no hands" joke was beaten into the ground hard enough to leave a crater visible from low-orbit.

Zef
12-20-2014, 07:27 AM
The Archie comic has already pulled the "no hands" punchline with every applicable Robot Master that has shown up. Even the Short Circuit gag strip at the end of the latest issue does it.

Ventrue
12-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Like, for Christmas?

Because there are all sorts of TPBs already available.

Whoops! Well then I'm gonna be ordering online then. This is the effect of not having a local comic book shop.

Red Silvers
12-21-2014, 02:37 AM
Archie tends to have a lot of online sales codes, too.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-21-2014, 08:48 AM
And book stores, Amazon, etc. carry them, too.

SpoonyBardOL
02-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Here's a preview for Mega Man #45. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/2/6/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-45-never-forgiven)

I kind of love the cover variant this time.

And that shot of the MM3 Wily Castle, that one always was one of my favorite designs. Though it might have something to do with MM3 being my first Mega Man game. (proportions seem a bit off with Break Man standing on one of the pillars, he makes the castle seem far too small, but I guess it's just so he can be seen in the shot)

I also find it interesting that the MM2 Robot Masters all seem to be sharing headspace inside Doc Robot, and they all don't seem to get along. I think we can already see how that fight is going to go down.

SpoonyBardOL
02-18-2015, 07:54 AM
More info about the upcoming Worlds Unite crossover!

Cover (and alternate) for the first crossover issue. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/2/13/worlds-unite-covers-and-starting-issue-revealed)

Plus previews for future issues! (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/2/14/more-worlds-unite-to-delight)

Also, some preview pages for Mega Man #46. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/2/17/preview-pages-for-mega-man-46-the-ultimate-betrayal-part-2)

LBD_Nytetrayn
02-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks! I hadn't gotten back around here to post those yet. =)

Kazin
02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
So while I'm enjoying the Doctor Who Titan comics, I heard these were pretty good, so I want to try them out. I don't want to go digital, and I can't find the first trade anywhere online! Do they reprint these every once in a while? Or am I doomed to pay some crazy price? I appreciate the help!

SpoonyBardOL
02-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Amazon.ca still has it listed. (http://www.amazon.ca/Mega-Man-Let-Games-Begin/dp/1879794853/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424440224&sr=1-1&keywords=mega+man+1) Dunno if you'd have any trouble ordering from the .ca version though. But I don't think there really SHOULD be a shortage, maybe some vendors are just temporarily out of stock?

Super Megaman X
02-24-2015, 12:21 AM
So, it sounds like (http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/23/capcom-and-sega-join-forces-for-worlds-unite-comic-book-crossover) the new "Worlds Unite" crossover will be crazier than we thought. (http://www.gonintendo.com/s/247890-archie-comics-sonic-mega-man-worlds-unite-to-include-other-popular-sega-capcom-characters) Much crazier. The names being tossed around right now are: Vyse, NiGHTS, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, and Nina.

SpoonyBardOL
02-24-2015, 06:54 AM
So, it sounds like (http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/23/capcom-and-sega-join-forces-for-worlds-unite-comic-book-crossover) the new "Worlds Unite" crossover will be crazier than we thought. (http://www.gonintendo.com/s/247890-archie-comics-sonic-mega-man-worlds-unite-to-include-other-popular-sega-capcom-characters) Much crazier. The names being tossed around right now are: Vyse, NiGHTS, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, and Nina.

If true I don't know HOW Archie pulled this off but I would be so into Sonic and SEGA vs Mega Man and CAPCOM

I'd also be stunned that anyone at Capcom even remembered who Nina is.

Super Megaman X
02-24-2015, 09:40 AM
.....aaaaaaaaaaaand it's true. Today's reveals are: Nina, Alex Kidd, Billy Hatcher, and Viewtiful Joe.

SpoonyBardOL
02-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Wow.

Man, wow. It almost seems like too much since it's still only going to be 12 issues, maybe all the other Sega and Capcom characters won't come in until near the end for this crossover's version of the every-robot-master-ever brawl from the first one?

Super Megaman X
02-24-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm just hoping these aren't all cameos. Like, Megaman and Sonic hop through a portal, boom, there's Nina, she waves at the camera, and hop through another portal to somewhere else. Archie's been pretty good with this book, so that probably won't happen....right?

Jeanie
02-24-2015, 03:01 PM
I'm just hoping these aren't all cameos. Like, Megaman and Sonic hop through a portal, boom, there's Nina, she waves at the camera, and hop through another portal to somewhere else. Archie's been pretty good with this book, so that probably won't happen....right?

Someone read Spider-Verse I see.

Zef
02-24-2015, 03:45 PM
And people wondered why I didn't care for the last crossover.

(It's because crossovers are fun only if you know of/care about more than 2/10ths of the characters involved)

Cuarzo Falcone
02-24-2015, 09:50 PM
If this means one of the alternate covers for Parts 4 through 12 has Knuckles and Dante in it and includes the obvious joke about it, that will be all the justification I need for this crossover's existence.

Excitemike
02-24-2015, 10:01 PM
And people wondered why I didn't care for the last crossover.

(It's because crossovers are fun only if you know of/care about more than 2/10ths of the characters involved)

No one was really wondering, you were pretty clear!

SpoonyBardOL
02-26-2015, 07:10 AM
The reveals keep coming. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/2/25/worlds-unite-teaser-image-part-3-dreams-nightmares-and-those-in-between)

Firebrand and Okami-dog? Woohoo!

Though I gotta admit, I am getting kind of worried about representation here. It's still only a 12-part series, each of these characters is only going to get a brief moment in the sun. I honestly kinda wish most of these reveals were instead getting their own Archie comic series. A Breath of Fire comic? Yes please.

(I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some Phantasy Star representation, I'd love someone from IV, but if it happened at all it would probably be Alis or Nei)

Jeanie
02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
The reveals keep coming. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/2/25/worlds-unite-teaser-image-part-3-dreams-nightmares-and-those-in-between)

Firebrand and Okami-dog? Woohoo!

Though I gotta admit, I am getting kind of worried about representation here. It's still only a 12-part series, each of these characters is only going to get a brief moment in the sun. I honestly kinda wish most of these reveals were instead getting their own Archie comic series. A Breath of Fire comic? Yes please.

(I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some Phantasy Star representation, I'd love someone from IV, but if it happened at all it would probably be Alis or Nei)

ComicsAlliance has the full poster:

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/02/Unite01.jpg

FUCK YES! SKIES OF ARCADIA!

Kishi
02-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Okami-dog

"Okami-dog"?

Excitemike
02-26-2015, 06:42 PM
"Okami-dog"?
Yo dog, I feel you dog.

Ventrue
03-05-2015, 09:05 AM
So Nights is back in the archie universe again eh?

Vaeran
03-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Tyris Flare? Wow. At last, her story can be told.

LBD_Nytetrayn
03-05-2015, 01:09 PM
So Nights is back in the archie universe again eh?

I might be wrong, but I think that Flynn said that this would be "Game NiGHTS" and not "Comic NiGHTS." So yes, but not tied to what came before.

Bleck
03-08-2015, 11:29 AM
So I came in here to see if this comic was worth reading and what I got was "oh my god is that the Gore Magala?!"

Cuarzo Falcone
03-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Putting aside the awesome upcoming crossover, though? Yeah, the comic is definitely worth reading, even if it took most of its first 12 issues to get its footing.

SpoonyBardOL
03-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Some more info for upcoming issues of the crossover. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/3/11/worlds-unite-solicitations-for-june-2015) Love some of those cover variants.

SpoonyBardOL
04-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Review of the final part of the Mega Man 3 storyline. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/4/26/the-blue-ink-reviews-mega-man-48-castle-of-decapitations)

I bet the fight with Gamma was great fun, can't wait to read it.

Kinda surprised that they're bringing the whole Mr. X thing in so early, but I guess it makes sense to start laying the ground work if they're planning something bigger than the games had.

Daikaiju
04-27-2015, 12:05 PM
They're always very good about setting a good foundation. Remember, Splash Woman has already put in an appearance!

BEAT
04-27-2015, 01:36 PM
FUCK YES! SKIES OF ARCADIA!

YES!

YES!

YES!

Cuarzo Falcone
04-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Kinda surprised that they're bringing the whole Mr. X thing in so early, but I guess it makes sense to start laying the ground work if they're planning something bigger than the games had.

They're always very good about setting a good foundation. Remember, Splash Woman has already put in an appearance!

Don't forget how Dr. Cossack has been showing up since Issue #13, and that whole thing with Shadow Man's backstory.

SpoonyBardOL
05-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Preview pages for Mega Man #49 are out. (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/5/19/preview-pages-for-mega-man-49-prisoners-of-war)

Dr. Light has the best ideas, you guys. Nothing will go wrong here.

LBD_Nytetrayn
05-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Man, this issue...

Cuarzo Falcone
05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Man, this issue...

This comic really is a gem.

Also, for anyone who saw the caption box plugging issue #38: there's a panel during Xander's trip through time that shows part of Wily's talk with Mr. X in this issue, without showing the latter. That's it.

Cuarzo Falcone
05-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Preview pages for Part 2 of Worlds Unite (http://comicsalliance.com/sonic-mega-man-worlds-unite-part-one-recap/), following a whole bunch of softball questions.

I'm digging how it's basically treated like a normal issue of Sonic Boom with the three Hunters just rolling with Sticks' antics.

Not digging how it seems like they're actually shoving plot points into the battle books.

Red Silvers
06-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Sooooooooo... After #55, the series is going on hiatus.

madhair60
06-17-2015, 02:51 AM
Someone told Capcom there was a Mega Man thing with fresh material so obviously they cancelled it.

They're doing a Mega Man reboot aren't they.

SpoonyBardOL
06-17-2015, 03:55 AM
I am going to hope that the hiatus is just a hiatus. :I

The comic is too damn good to just toss out.

Red Silvers
06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Well Archie Comics tweeted me saying "It's not the end forever" and they'd "have more news soon."

Zef
06-17-2015, 12:45 PM
So as I understand it, that hiatus would happen immediately at the end of the crossover, right? Which would leave all the Mr. X stuff hanging until the book comes back?