PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo '11

Prinnydood
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Another year, another NaNoWriMo. Seeing how last year was a spectacular failure for me, Iíve been developing my story for this year over the course of a few months. My idea involves telling the story of a world that has already been saved from its evil-spewing Big Bad. Iíve always been curious about what goes on with the heroes and the people of the world when theyíre left to rebuild the tattered remains, and Iíve been racking my brain for ways on how I want to tackle that.

I was going to set things up with a quick and dirty prologue, but two things ended up happening: I reaffirmed to myself how much I hate prologues, and I found myself wanting to expand on it. The reason for that is Iím concerned itíll be hard to drum up any sense of caring for whatís going on if the reader hasnít experienced the lows first. Right now, Iím waffling between the decision to just press on or do a novella-sized story to set things up.

Iím thinking about going with the novella because earlier this week, I found my plot points slotting perfectly into place that way and Iíd hate to gloss over things Iíve spent so long building up. Not to mention Iím also a big fan of stories that span a wide range of years instead of the relatively snapshot affair that focusing on the latter part of the story would lead to.

As far as the setting, Iíll most likely go with a Norse-inspired world for no reasons other than Vikings and Valkyries. Iím still hammering out the characters and fitting things together. Four weeks should be plenty of time to get things to the point where I can write non-stop without pausing every few minutes like I normally do.

Iím surely not the only one taking a shot at it this year. Share your own ideas so I can see just how terrible and uninspired my own is.

Queen Possum
10-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm planning to do it this year. If I can write for more than a week, I'll probably be doing a lot better than last year. I have a vague idea for a story, about how New York is kinda creepy, but we'll see if it goes anywhere.

Loki
10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Seems to me that the least likely strategy to finish would be to write a whole nother book on top of the required one.

Prinnydood
10-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm really just trying to get myself to have 50,000 words down by the end of the month. If the story isn't finished, then I'll just work on it next year.

Falselogic
10-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Another year, another NaNoWriMo, another time I say I'm going to do this and then don't.

Rascally Badger
10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I've been planning this year and I hope I can make it past the first week. I'm going to wear my influences on my sleeve and try to write a High Fantasy tale combining Cowboys, King Arthur and Castle in the Sky.

Karzac
10-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't think I'll be able to do this this year. Too much school and work.

Epithet
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not participating this year because of all the other junk my school's dumping on me, but good luck to anyone who gives it a shot!

Mightyblue
10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about doing it this year.

Itakare
10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I've been on a productivity roll so far this year, so I might finally bite the bullet and try this. It would be nice to have some ideas down on paper for once, at the very least.

Brickroad
10-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I did it last year, and I'll do it again this year maybe?

Krakenbrau
10-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Another year, another NaNoWriMo, another time I say I'm going to do this and then don't.

Paul le Fou
10-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I've found a kind of writing group here that will hopefully spur me into some action this year. I might also finally bite the bullet and go get a netbook so I can go places and write more effectively (I had good luck heading to the library at home when I had a laptop that was actually portable).

bobbywatson
10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I might also finally bite the bullet and go get a netbook so I can go places and write more effectively

My biggest gripe about a netbook is the size of the keyboard. I have tried using it in the past but, even if I don't have overly large fingers, it's still not fun to use.

Anyway, I'm doing this again this year. Not sure how well that will go. I'm planning a trip to Australia in December, and I'll be juggling three different clients at work, plus two art classes per week. And, most likely, a week or two of business trips.

I've been working on a universe for a graphic novel for most of the year, and I'm thinking about using some of the secondary characters to create a whole new story. I'm not quite sure how the first story will go, but I know that the two main characters will die at the end, so I was thinking about building a new story with the one of the main character's sister.

The other idea is to make it semi-autobiographical, but if I did that, I'm afraid readers would commit suicide en masse after reading it, so I'm probably not gonna go there.

Sanagi
10-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't mind typing on my netbook at all, but for this purpose I far prefer writing with pencil into a small notebook that's roughly the size of a paperback book. This gives me the more rewarding feeling that I'm physically creating a novel. And since my tendency toward absurdly meticulous editing is the first obstacle to keeping up with my writing, the inability to edit is a big plus. I just write a note to myself like "move this scene" or "explain character X's background here" and keep moving.

And since I've been doing that off and on for about a year, I'm not going to start something new for nanowrimo but I will take it as an occasion to get back into the habit of daily writing.

Alex Scott
10-08-2011, 11:53 PM
I think I'll do this. Handwritten.

There's a magical girl story I've always wanted to write, but I could never get it to work. Then I realized: it wants to be a novel.

Rascally Badger
10-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I think trying to type mine last year was part of the reason I failed so badly. I think much faster than I can type, which causes me to occasionally forget words and if I misspell something I see all that red and I have to go fix it. It really breaks the flow.

If I hand write it the problem is that no one will ever be able to read it.

Prinnydood
10-09-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm handwriting my notes and then retyping them for organization's sake. I've had a couple of times so far where writing some things down made me turn them in my head more, resulting in a few eureka! moments.

When it comes time to actually write the story, I'll be typing it.

Cyan
10-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Make sure to keep us updated during November!

Nothing like peer pressure to help you get your write on.

Brickroad
10-12-2011, 07:23 AM
See, I think much faster than I can write, which makes hand-writing anything into a torture session.

The red underlines don't bother me because I use Notepad. Like a boss.

Prinnydood
10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
My problem is that I think too fast and end up tripping myself up or glossing over details. Writing out notes helps me organize myself and slows me down enough that things flow a bit better (but in rare cases I write down notes for my notes so that when I'm on a serious creative roll, I don't forget anything, which must make me some kind of weirdo).

Stiv
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm afraid readers would commit suicide en masse after reading it, so I'm probably not gonna go there.

Why should you care? It's not like you're obligated to show anyone your trashy one-month novella. In fact I prefer to not see anybody's. They're usually bad.

Also, going to have to skip again this year! Work trips! Switching jobs! Probably moving! November is always the absolute worst month for me for this.

Itakare
10-27-2011, 04:53 AM
It never occurred to me until just now that maybe I should actually sign up for this thing on the official website and stuff.

Fortunately, I have been planning ahead and hashing out ideas with various confidants on the tubes in the minutes left between working myself into a coma and being in a coma.

My idea as it stands has a heavy supernatural bent, and focuses on an introverted misanthrope and his peppy, invisible stalker. They antagonize one another and get into trouble!

I'm guessing that the sheer amount of words that 50 000 is won't really hit me until I get to maybe 20 000 and realize that I'm still not even halfway. Oh well, hopefully I'll be having fun anyway!

Who else is gearing up?

Prinnydood
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I've gotten into the habit of keeping notecards with me and jotting things down. I haven't counted, but there must be about thirty or fourty that I've filled up so far that I need to actually cobble together into some sort of actual plot. I figure I'll end up filling in the blanks between plot points as I go for a bit of spontaneity.

Cyan
10-28-2011, 03:08 PM
It never occurred to me until just now that maybe I should actually sign up for this thing on the official website and stuff.
Yes! Part of the fun is comparing word counts on the official site, finding people to meet up with, chatting with fellow sadomasochists.

Plus, you get pep talks from pro authors. This year including Brandon Sanderson, Audrey Niffenegger, and Jonathan Lethem. Fun times!

Pombar
10-29-2011, 08:18 AM
I signed up to this in the full knowledge that I absolutely cannot succeed considering the amount of work I have to fill my free time up with before even taking this into account. But I will go as far as I can!

Itakare
10-31-2011, 07:04 AM
It begins

Who is pumped? I am pumped. I'm going to write so many things.

bobbywatson
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm getting ready to jump in (probably tomorrow morning, since I don't want to stay up too late), but I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's certainly been on my mind in the past week, but I have other preoccupations (like a trip to Australia in December).

Plus, for the first time, I have no outline whatsoever.

Prinnydood
10-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Lucky me, my late night class was canceled tomorrow so I won't have to endure a night full of bleary-eyed typing on the first day. I've broadly outlined most of the story and will rely on stream-of-consciousness typing to get me through the nitty-gritty details.

Alex Scott
11-01-2011, 07:52 PM
That's two thousand words down.

In this installment, 10-year-old Violet Adams gets a knee and elbow scraped, offered a mysterious dog, and reunited with her Army dad.

Brickroad
11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
3600 words on my generic fantasy/sci-fi thing!

I cheated by naming the main character "Leigh Ann" so I get two words every time I use her name. Handy!

Prinnydood
11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm within spitting distance of two thousand words myself. I'm probably going to go for five hundred more before bed tonight. Most scenes are lasting way longer than I expect them to, which leads me to believe I'm rambling. It's killing me to resist the urge to go back and edit them.

I suppose that means it's time to pop the Backspace key off the keyboard.

Itakare
11-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Man I had nothing better to do for three hours and I struggled to break 600 words :(

I can do like three thousand words in a single sitting over instant messaging, why is this so different?

bobbywatson
11-01-2011, 08:04 PM
720 words here. Not feeling the magic yet. What can I say, it's been a busy day. I'm not worried, I will probably perform better in the coming days. I was going for some internal struggle, but I might upgrade to mystery or thriller or something.

Also: for reasons that I won't enumerate here, I'm writing this long hand for now. I will move to a computer later this week. This does not help, I feel I write slower with a pen than by typing on a keyboard.

Prinnydood
11-01-2011, 09:46 PM
2500 words down! It feels pretty good to start off on the right foot.

Rascally Badger
11-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Less than a thousand words on day one, but I had to work. I should catch up and get ahead over the next couple of days.

I did decide to scrap my planned story a couple of days ago becuase I didn't have an ending. I have no idea how the story could have ended. Or more accurately I knew the one way it could end, but I don't want to write a story with that ending right now.

Luckily, I have like 10 plot outlines just lying around. Time for a somewhat generic fantasy about some scampy orphans and a mysterious prisoner with a mysterious past.

Sanagi
11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm going to see if I can fill a miniature 400-page notebook this month. Comes out to about thirteen pages a day. One down!

Bongo Bill
11-02-2011, 04:17 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/FakeNNWMTips

Alex Scott
11-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Today's total: 2084.

American foreign policy is discussed. Violet gets a strange jewel from her dad, does some gymnastics, gets the dog. Then the dog reacts with the jewel to give Violet magic powers.

Prinnydood
11-02-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm up to 4791 words. I'm baffled by how much easier this year is going for me as opposed to last year. I'm tempted to go for 5000 so I'll be a tenth of the way there going into the third day.

Epithet
11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
If you get stuck, have an elf show up. This works no matter your setting or genre. #nanowrimo

Screw that, I'm putting in a sala'naar*.

*Like an elf, but 30% more willowy and magical.

Seriously though, I've got a lot of other junk to do this month, but I decided to join in after all once a friend mentioned she was taking part. I probably won't finish this year, but I have a major character who collects wolf figurines, so my work is done.

bobbywatson
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
After a terrible first day on a novel that I'm not really interested in writing after all, I started over today. And guess what, it's going very well! I wrote almost 2500 words today! If all goes well, I should be back on track in a day or two...

Yay!

Itakare
11-03-2011, 08:48 AM
At the end of day three, (that is to say, the we hours of day four), I've managed to clock just a shade under 3000 words, and I've introduced both of my main characters, as well as going through their respective "day in the life"s. Now all that's left is to have one of them stalk the other and let things happen!

I... hope. I'm really banking on the chemistry between these two on carrying the first act. If it doesn't, there are going to be problems. Major problems.

Still, I'm like 2/3rds of the way to being on par, and the beginning is done, for better or worse. That's got to count for something, right?

Queen Possum
11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
First two days were unproductive, as I ended up having way less time than I thought I would in the evenings. But I made up a lot tonight, partially because of the NaNoWriMo sprints on Twitter (thanks to Aquadeo for posting a heads up). I'm not where I should be, but I actually got over the 1667 word target for once.

Also, it's incredibly hard to write a story about a group of 20something ladies in New York without it becoming an episode of Sex and the City, even if one of them is probably going to have a run in with cultists later and inevitably go mad.

Alex Scott
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Today Violet is taught how to use magic, and has an encounter with the mean-spirited dog familiar of someone named Elle Linke.

And my fountain pen ran out of ink. I think I'll use a pencil until the refills come in.

Prinnydood
11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Today was my best day yet with 2654 words. I think I've been reading too much Stephen King lately as I'm delving into the characters' minds a lot more than is maybe necessary. I'll have to dial that back moving forward. I'm going to try shoot for a total of 10,000 words tomorrow.

Rascally Badger
11-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Only about 600 words today, giving me a total of 3700. I am somewhat behind the pace. I did get a lot of plot stuff fixed, and since I can't work without having my story pre-plotted it was necessary work.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how having magic stuff happen at the end can not feel cheap when it is rare and mostly unseen until then. Maybe an earlier encounter with it to establish it's existence and power.

bobbywatson
11-04-2011, 04:57 AM
I was at work yesterday evening until 7 as we were interviewing a friend of mine for a position in my team, and then we went out for dinner (mmmh, tilapia...) and then when I got back to the hotel, I was beat and could not really think straight, so I went to bed instead of writing.

Which means my word count is sitting at 2411. Oh well.

I have nothing planned this weekend, so I'll probably spend a lot of time writing, which will hopefully take me up to 10000 before Sunday.

Alex Scott
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
1909 today. Violet goes to her friend's house, learns some more magic, and is creeped out by her first look at Elle Linke.

Aquadeo
11-04-2011, 07:38 PM
First two days were unproductive, as I ended up having way less time than I thought I would in the evenings. But I made up a lot tonight, partially because of the NaNoWriMo sprints on Twitter (thanks to Aquadeo for posting a heads up)

That's great to hear! Thank you!

I shall not lie; I'm having more fun running the @NaNoWordSprints account on Twitter than I am writing my own novel! It's a good thing, then, that the account is shared with fifteen other people who want their turn - it keeps me from monopolizing the account and burning out by Nov. 7th. : )

All right, back to my own novel. I've only written 2400 words so far, and much like bobby, I'm hoping that this weekend straightens things out...

Prinnydood
11-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I crossed my first significant milestone today and completed over 10,000 words. The story is going off on a crazy tangent right now for reasons I can't even begin to explain. This seems to happen quite a bit where I'll get a spark of an idea and ride it into a terrible wall that I can never recover from. So I'll be attempting to steer things back in line with my rough outline tomorrow.

Queen Possum
11-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Only just sitting down to write now...the evening got away from me. There's a Marta write in all day tomorrow that I'm curious about, but I'm not sure I want to be at the airport by 11 to start it or chip away at my Marta card getting off every few stops to go write. May just end up at the library all afternoon instead.

Rascally Badger
11-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I figured out how I am going to write at work without it causing problems between what it typed and what is hand written. My novel starts with the protagonist being freed after spending 15 or so years as pretty much a POW. I had intended to write flashbacks to his life before and show how his memories compare to the world he sees now. I can type the present stuff at home and write the flashbacks at work. And since I'm not always sure where to fit them in, it won't matter that they aren't yet typed.

Today my protagonist, Roark, met an old friend who has changed greatly and not for the better.

Paul le Fou
11-05-2011, 01:30 AM
I got a late start because I was trying to finish the White Tower and went a day or two over, but I'm off and running. I'm... about 2200 words in right now. I think.

You see, I'm handwriting, in a new effort for me, because computers are too goddamn distracting. On the one hand I've been able to write way more consistently than sitting at a computer has let me do. On the other, handwriting is SLOW. I can churn out lots more words in one stretch on the computer. On the other hand, those stretches end up being few and far apart, so I foresee handwriting coming out ahead in daily average output.

So far, Katie--no, Miss Johnson now--has just started her first real class ever as a teacher and had a minor freakout that turned into a bonding experience with the students. She found out that she is the sixth art teacher they've had this year, and nobody knows what happened to the others. And then some of the kids introduced themselves by way of their dioramas, which make up a huge interlocked paper city project that covers almost the entire art room.

Looking forward to sparring with the principal and interacting with the kids a little more in my further free time! Wondering how long before Katie befalls the same fate as the other teachers...

Queen Possum
11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I am loving the Twitter word sprints. I'm getting a ton added on in a fairly short amount of time thanks to them.

bobbywatson
11-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Doing word wars all day with other people from my region, I managed to reach 6000 words today, and I managed to catch up to what my word count should be. Hurray!

Alex Scott
11-05-2011, 08:36 PM
2003 today, which brings me over 10,000!

Today, Violet looks into her family history, encounters that mean siberian husky (named Aleister) in a dream, finds her dad wide awake in the middle of the night, and bikes to the park with her friend.

Prinnydood
11-05-2011, 08:46 PM
My word count for today is sitting at 3305 right now. I'm tempted to push it to 4000 since I'm fairly close, but I'm feeling tapped out right now. Things aren't flowing quite as well for me today for some reason. I usually think better late at night, so I may return to it then.

Queen Possum
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Calling it a night at 8680. I more than doubled my word count today, and I really feel like I'm getting to some meat in my story. I always thought it was bullshit when authors said the stories just grew as they wrote them, but that's absolutely what's happening with mine. Hell, the plot device that's now going to end up tying the entire thing together just came to me on a whim last night.

Hopefully I can keep up this pace. The sprints are really helping, tho.

Queen Possum
11-06-2011, 05:56 PM
11300! I like the sound of only having to write 366 words tomorrow. Or I could keep up the pace and write another 2500, especially since I'm gonna be out of town and partying all weekend.

Prinnydood
11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Today's total is 2045 for right now. I'm settling into a pattern of about 2000 words in one sitting, then pushing to 2500 after a quick late-night session. Right now, I'm writing a pretty crazy dream sequence with monsters and obscure cat species and stuff because dreams are supposed to not make any sense.

bobbywatson
11-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I was hoping to have another day with 6k, but I will settle for 2.5k. I'm slightly ahead of the expected word count (11172 instead of 10000). This week should be pretty busy, so I will have a hard time to keep up with the expected word count.

So I finally got into the story part, with the two main characters discovering dead bodies in a bunker in the jungle. Where do I go from there? I have no clue.

Alex Scott
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
1851; big day. Violet fought a tiger made of electricity, the stone that lets her use her magic reproduced, and for the first time, she met Elle Linke face-to-face.

Prinnydood
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I made it to 3000 words today for a total of 16,000 words. I'm through my wild tangent which ended up lasting about 5000 words more than I had expected, but so it goes. Now I can get back on track with the plot.

Rascally Badger
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I doubled my word count today. Unfortunately, that still leaves me at just short of 6,000 words. Friday and Saturday left me not time to write though. Hopefully I do better on my days off.

I've run into a problem with some characters. At first, I liked my plucky orphans that helped spark the plot into motion. Now I have no idea what to do with the three of them. If only killing them fit into the rough plot I'm working with.

Torzelbaum
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
FYI, I'm not a trained writer by any means so take any of my (eventual) suggestions with a grain of salt.

So I finally got into the story part, with the two main characters discovering dead bodies in a bunker in the jungle. Where do I go from there? I have no clue.How did you get from the beginning to here? Can you give a quick synopsis of what's happened so far?

I've run into a problem with some characters. At first, I liked my plucky orphans that helped spark the plot into motion. Now I have no idea what to do with the three of them. If only killing them fit into the rough plot I'm working with.So what's your rough plot? Also, you're a horrible monster.

Rascally Badger
11-07-2011, 12:08 AM
So what's your rough plot? Also, you're a horrible monster.

In an attempt to escape from punishment themselves, three orphans free a man long imprisoned in a foreign land. (It's more a by product of their escape, but whatever) Since they remind him of him and his two friends from long ago, he allows them to tag along with him as he tries to put his life back together. The man, Roark, travels home to find the world is very different from what he remembers. Fifteen years is a long time. As he tries to put his life back together he gets caught up in a conflict that threatens his home nation, not unlike the one that got him imprisoned 15 years ago.

The kids are meant to be a reflection or recurrence of the protagonist's youth, just like the whole plot is a repeat of what happened 15 years ago. Those kids are kind of the point. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and all that. It's just while I need them at points A, B and E, I have nothing for them to do at points C and D, which is where I am right now.

Also, my rough plot is about three pages long. I can't write without a pretty thorough outline.

Itakare
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
I went to a convention for three days, and while it was awesome, I'm now ten thousand words behind.

Bring it on.

Torzelbaum
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
In an attempt to escape from punishment themselves, three orphans free a man long imprisoned in a foreign land. (It's more a by product of their escape, but whatever) Since they remind him of him and his two friends from long ago, he allows them to tag along with him as he tries to put his life back together. The man, Roark, travels home to find the world is very different from what he remembers. Fifteen years is a long time. As he tries to put his life back together he gets caught up in a conflict that threatens his home nation, not unlike the one that got him imprisoned 15 years ago.

The kids are meant to be a reflection or recurrence of the protagonist's youth, just like the whole plot is a repeat of what happened 15 years ago. Those kids are kind of the point. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and all that. It's just while I need them at points A, B and E, I have nothing for them to do at points C and D, which is where I am right now.

Also, my rough plot is about three pages long. I can't write without a pretty thorough outline.Hmm... Off the top of my head: since Roark dosen't want the kids involved in what he's doing he gives them to some foster parents (from one side of the conflict). Do points C and D. Add some plot between D and E where said parents die becaue of the conflict. Great... Now I'm the horrible monster.

Alex Scott
11-07-2011, 08:22 PM
941; I have another commitment on Mondays. Violet got an invitation from a raven named Matisyahu on a boat in a dream.

Prinnydood
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I had another amazing day today with 3000 words done. I'm going to go for another half-hour or so, hopefully reaching 3500 for an even 20,000 words total.

I'm actually getting to the point where I can have dialogue instead of reams upon reams of narration. A nice father-daughter talk kind of gave me the warm fuzzies as I wrote it out. And there was some magic involved with the aid of a shining yellow rabbit. I'm past my tangent and diving headlong into the meat of the story.

Cyan
11-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Finally broke 10k; I'm running a little behind schedule here.

spineshark
11-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Considering how much of an author insert she is, I'm shocked at how hard a time I'm having writing my main character's dialogue. I mean, I go "well that just sounds stupid" a lot, so I'm used to that, but this is something else completely. I'm having to work really hard to keep in character and it's making a lot of this really difficult to get through.

That's part of the point, but I think I underestimated this when I was planning things out and thinking about the sort of things my characters would say and do. The character who keeps butting in is that sort of stoic type who always says something devastatingly witty and biting at just the right moment (or so the author believes), which then leads to the sort of character the audience thinks is so cool, I guess since most people want to act out as kind of an ass and still have everyone like them. Which is exactly the problem; I don't want people to just like Kestral. Not because she's evil in any way, but because she's arid and not very personable. I mean, for once I'm practically trying to write something that's a little awkward and flawed, and instead I keep getting these snappy comebacks. I suppose it's inevitable.

Prinnydood
11-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Considering how much of an author insert she is, I'm shocked at how hard a time I'm having writing my main character's dialogue. I mean, I go "well that just sounds stupid" a lot, so I'm used to that, but this is something else completely. I'm having to work really hard to keep in character and it's making a lot of this really difficult to get through.

I have a problem writing dialogue as well, and find that it's more because I stall out and overthink how conversations are supposed to play out. One I decided to allow them to play out looser than I planned them to, the conversations started flowing a bit better. My dialogue still sounds a bit stiff, but that's something that'll be fixed once the characters come into better focus, I think.

Alex Scott
11-08-2011, 08:33 PM
2586, which puts me over 15,000!

Violet meets Jules, the 14-year-old geomancer/astrologer who owns the raven Matisyahu; he gives her some magic cards and breaks the news of the tragic fate of the original Order of Natural Artisans. It wasn't nice.

I'm realizing my main problem is with visualizing Violet's dad. He's supposed to be a military guy, a little younger than I am. But I keep imagining him as Hank from Breaking Bad. I usually draw my main characters; I may have to draw him.

Prinnydood
11-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Tuesdays are awful for me because I have a late class, but I managed 2000 words today against all odds. I'm liking this day in the life theme I have going so far. I'm going to use this time to lay on the character development thick before main character #3 comes along to throw off the delightful synergy between Colin and Eden.

I'm realizing my main problem is with visualizing Violet's dad. He's supposed to be a military guy, a little younger than I am. But I keep imagining him as Hank from Breaking Bad. I usually draw my main characters; I may have to draw him.

I'm trying not to wrangle things too much and allowing them to play out as they will. So far, that's working out amazingly well for me. My characters are actually having natural conversations instead of exchanging stilted sentences with each other, which is pretty nice.

I say if Violet's dad character is turning out a certain way, just let him (unless there's some serious plot significance, of course).

Rascally Badger
11-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Hmm... Off the top of my head: since Roark dosen't want the kids involved in what he's doing he gives them to some foster parents (from one side of the conflict). Do points C and D. Add some plot between D and E where said parents die becaue of the conflict. Great... Now I'm the horrible monster.

This is what I've been thinking. I even have a convenient guy to dump them off on. After Roark meets with his old friend Saul, now a bitter drunk, he finds his father-in-law (well, they were going to get married when he returned, but he never did) and the old man could take in the kids, who would then run away because they want to be part of the action, catching back up with Roark when it is convenient.

I didn't get much work done today. I wrote a decent sized flashback of happier times, but that was only about 800 words, putting me at near 8000. But I have the day off from work tomorrow, so I have hopes of catching up considerably.

Paul le Fou
11-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm trying not to wrangle things too much and allowing them to play out as they will....

I say if Violet's dad character is turning out a certain way, just let him (unless there's some serious plot significance, of course).

I agree with this. If something keeps coming out a certain way, let it. If you're having to force yourself into changing something, it's less natural to you and could seem stilted on the page.

Of course, it might be easier because it's overly simplistic or a cliche burned into our brains or something, but that's something to fix later in editing. Not for NaNoWriMo time!

Alex Scott
11-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Oh, he's acting just fine. He sounds exactly how he should. I haven't even described him in much detail (a plus, according to authors like Elmore Leonard and Stephen King). I'm just expressing a little bewilderment with the actor I've accidentally cast for him.

Maybe I should find out what Hank's actor looked like in his 20's.

Alex Scott
11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
2285. I came up with a compromise: Aaron Paul.

Today, Violet got some info from Matisyahu, and got ready to start teaching a second magical girl.

Prinnydood
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I had a mostly free day today, allowing me to get a ton of writing done. I got up to 4010 words, pushing me over the halfway mark. I'm slowing getting to the introduction of main character #3, whose general makeup I haven't really decided on. I guess I should figure that out before tomorrow, huh?

Rascally Badger
11-09-2011, 11:38 PM
I crossed 10,000 words today. I am just now feeling like I have a good handle on my principle cast. My protagonist kept wanting to be snarky with the kids he has to put up with and once I stopped fighting it things have gone more smoothly.

Paul le Fou
11-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm having some trouble writing kids without making them sound like children. They're sixth graders, not six-year-olds! GET IT TOGETHER.

spineshark
11-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Don't think of them as kids. Pretend they're intelligent but naive adults. (Unless they're not supposed to be particularly clever or anything) It's the same thing except it won't psyche you out as much.

Prinnydood
11-10-2011, 08:49 PM
2020 words down today. The day in the life bit is coming to a close and things are about to get serious. I have a broad idea of how I want to handle that transition, but nothing solid yet. I'll most likely end up deciding as I write tomorrow, which should be interesting.

bobbywatson
11-11-2011, 07:35 PM
A bit more than 3000 words tonight. Not bad! I still have no idea where the plot is going, but I'm having fun with character drama at the moment, so that's fine with me.

I reached 17500 tonight, which is a bit behind schedule, but I'll catch up over the weekend. My objective is to double my word count and reach 35000 by Sunday night. I must be crazy, because I think it's doable.

Prinnydood
11-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I wasn't really feeling any sort of flow today, so I only had 1752 words done. I'm going to power through this rough patch and hope things smooth out for me.

Rascally Badger
11-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I only got about 800 words today writing at work. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to work these flashbacks into the rest of the story, but they are at least helping me get a better handle on my characters and their relationships.

Alex Scott
11-12-2011, 12:01 AM
2912, including what little I did yesterday. This puts me over 20,000! Violet introduces her friend to magic, and the two of them deal with a fire bird together. Then Elle comes along and slaps, mocks, and threatens Violet. And the whole "secret double life" pretense kinda goes out the window.

Alex Scott
11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Almost up to 25,000. A major development, the creation of the magical girl team, happened much earlier than expected, but I think it's going to take it in some interesting directions. Instead of using the name of the old extinct magic order, they came up with a new name.

It's partially a Touhou reference.

One day, English professors are going to have a lot of fun with the Touhou references in my work.

Rascally Badger
11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I wrote 4,400 words today, but that still leaves me about 5,000 short of the pace. At least now I've stopped my main character moping and started him fighting.

bobbywatson
11-14-2011, 07:23 AM
I did not reach 35k this weekend. In fact, I did not even reach 25k. Only 24.230k. Which is not bad, and still puts me slightly ahead of schedule. I will not be writing tonight, but I expect to write around 3000 words tomorrow, so that should bring me back to speed.

For some reason, I'm a lot more relaxed about the word count this year. Not sure why exactly.

Rascally Badger
11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm going to call it quits for this year. I havent been able to write much this last week, what with being sick and getting called 3 times to substitute teach. Now I'm so far behind that I'd have to write about 3000 words a day to make it and I just don't work that fast. Maybe I'll see what I can get done tomorrow before I give up entirely.

Prinnydood
11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
I haven't been able to work at all these last ten or so days because of homework. I can still make it if I get down 2000 words per day, which is definitely a possibility for me.

bobbywatson
11-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm slightly behind, but I don't think it's going to be a big deal to make. I probably have to write somewhere around 2000 words a day but, just like Prinnydood said, it's doable.

Alex Scott
11-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Got slowed down this past week due to fatigue and family obligations. But in that time, I did get about 5000 words. I now have less than 20,000 left. I think if I can get back to my original pace and maybe put in a few heavy-duty days, I can make it.

No clue how long the thing will go beyond that, but we'll see.

This (http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/pep/neil-gaiman) turned out to be exactly what I needed to read.

Paul le Fou
11-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I've just crossed 9,000 words, about to hit ten. Yeah, I know, I know. Handwriting, generally being very busy, being kind of lazy, and actively playing more games and watching more TV (instead of being on the Internet).

BUT, even if I can't slam out 2,000 words in a three-hour burst, I've written 9,000 words in 3 weeks which absolutely demolishes my average long-game words-per-unit-time from the past forever years. I'm actually, like, writing instead of nebulously "working on some project." So, it's coming along.

Hitting 10,000 will be easy, and that's a good number. I'm happy to blow past it. The short story I just finished, The White Tower, was 13,000 words and passing up in a month what took several to finish will be a good target, a nice feeling. My optimal target is 15,000 by the end of November. And then... well, then, I just keep going, don't I? NaNoWriMo -> PerNoWriMos. Personal Novel Writing Months.

Prinnydood
11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I knocked out 2500 words today after 13 days of being busy/playing tons of Mario. I'm hoping to have some time later tonight to get out another thousand. Even if I can't, I'll be in a car for a total of six hours tomorrow, so I should be able to get at least 4000 words total then.

Alex Scott
11-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm hoping I'll get enough private time this weekend to do some serious work.

Today I did about 1900 words. One of Violet's friends gets sucker-punched by a satyr, and decides it's time for a magic guitar battle.

bobbywatson
11-24-2011, 06:18 AM
I did about 2300 yesterday, which brings me at 37000 so far. I should be able to reach 39000, maybe 40k before the end of the day.

Main character EugŤne is finally out of the jungle and just got laid.

Prinnydood
11-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Six hours on the road means I'm over 4000 words closer to 50k. I'm going to try for a total of 43,000 by the end of the weekend, which makes 2500 words per day. But I've also got a ton of homework I have to get done from now until the end of November. I think it'll be a photo finish for me this year.

Prinnydood
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I had hoped to get 2500 words done today, but only managed just over 1700. Things are getting a bit difficult for me right now as I feel like what I'm writing is terrible. I'm going to push through to the more interesting parts and hope I don't crap out before then.

Prinnydood
11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Am I the only one still working on this at this point? Come on! We've got four more days left, don't give up now.

I've over the 40,000 word hump two days later than I should be. There's a sick guy trying to infect the main characters with a deadly virus right now because he can't get any treatment. I'm having more fun than I should be detailing his spiraling descent into despair.

bobbywatson
11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm still moving forward. I'm at 45k at the moment. I was hoping to finish today, but I got lazy. Plus I'm kinda stuck in the story, so I went out for a walk instead of writing.

My current goal is to reach 48k tomorrow and 50k on Monday.

bobbywatson
11-27-2011, 07:23 AM
All right, found a way to "unstuck" myself. I am back on track to reach 48k today (I'm at 46k at the moment), maybe even finish the thing (assuming I don't waste too much time playing Uncharted 2 today like I did yesterday).

Alex Scott
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm at closer to 38,000. I think there's a chance I can make it in the next three days, although I'd have to do 4000 words a day to do it. I'm seriously tempted to type until I reach 50,000. Then I can go back to handwriting in December, and finish the story at a better pace.

Prinnydood
11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I am very near 44,000. My pace is slowing because of other things getting in the way. With how much stuff I have to get done in the next three days I may not have time to finish, but I'll make use of what little time I can and just pound at the keyboard until I get out 6000 words.

bobbywatson
11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
All right, this is finally over.

I'm not entirely proud of the novel, but there are some good ideas in there and I like the universe. I think I'll let it rest for a month or two, and then I'm going to start actually outlining it in a way that makes more sense and doesn't roam around without going anywhere as much.

Plus I have identified several topics on which I need to learn more.

However, I think this will be my last NaNoWriMo. I think what I need to do is to include writing in my usual routine, not just do it for a month in the year.

Now, let's have some chocolate cake.

Prinnydood
11-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Congratulations on finishing, bobbywatson! My meandering story is almost at 50,000 words as well. I'm going to try to get myself above par for the first time in a week and a half so I can cruise to a quick finish (hopefully) tomorrow.

bobbywatson
11-29-2011, 05:38 AM
Congratulations on finishing, bobbywatson! My meandering story is almost at 50,000 words as well. I'm going to try to get myself above par for the first time in a week and a half so I can cruise to a quick finish (hopefully) tomorrow.

You can do it!

Prinnydood
11-30-2011, 07:13 PM
At 50,049 words, I've conquered NaNoWriMo both right on the wire, and for the first time! The story's not finished yet, but I think I've earned myself a bit of a break. I'm at least liking where's it's going enough to want to finish it up sometime later on, so that's good!

Paul le Fou
12-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Finished at somewhere between 10,000 and 11,000 words. For my first time, and my first time handwriting, and having a busy shitstorm of a month and generally being lazy, I am pretty proud of that. And now I just keep going!

Bongo Bill
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Congratulations to everyone who succeeded, and heaps of scorn to everyone who failed! You shame us all.