PDA

View Full Version : Arkham Mafia - Proposal and Interest thread

Mogri
10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Here's my proposal for an Arkham Horror-themed mafia. I originally had a lot of mechanics rolling around in my head for this, but I decided to strip it down. What's left is hopefully a game that still plays like Mafia, but has a distinct Arkham feel to it.

I'm looking for suggestions. Is this overly complicated? Not complicated enough for some reason? Is there something else you'd like to see here? Is this a game you'd be interested in playing? Speak up!

Lengthy rules proposal follows; rules are as standard Mafia except as noted

Town
The town faction is comprised of Arkham's investigators (http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Investigator). An investigator's role might look like this:

You are Dexter Drake, the Magician. You are an investigator. You win when the threat to Arkham is eliminated.

Sanity: 5
Stamina: 5

Magical Gift
Day: Once per turn, pay two clue tokens to shrivel a monster, reducing its toughness by 1.

Each investigator has at least one ability of varying usefulness.

Mafia
The mafia faction is comprised of several cultists and one herald (http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Herald). A cultist's role might look like this:

You are an unnamed cultist. Together with your brethren, you choose one investigator to die and one location to spawn a monster each night. You win when you match or outnumber the town.

Sanity: 6
Stamina: 6

Dreams of Madness
Night: Once per turn, pay three clue tokens to lower an investigator's Sanity by 1 and prevent the use of abilities until tomorrow night.

Each cultist has at least one ability of varying usefulness. The herald has more powerful abilities and also shows up innocent to investigations. The mafia shares a common pool of clue tokens.

Arkham
Each day, every player chooses a location.

The city of Arkham has the following locations:

- Arkham Asylum
- St. Mary's Hospital
- Woods
- Black Cave
- Witch House
- Independence Square
- Hibb's Roadhouse
- Science Building

Ending the day at the Asylum restores a point of Sanity, while ending the day at the Hospital restores a point of Stamina. Players may exchange clue tokens to further restore lost points on a one-to-one basis.

The other locations are unstable: spending a turn there earns a clue token, but monsters will spawn there as well.

Monsters
At the end of each night, a monster will appear at an unstable location chosen by the mafia. The investigators should work together to drive the monsters out of Arkham. A monster might look like this:

Star Spawn
Horror: 3
Combat: 2
Toughness: 2

Each investigator at Star Spawn's location loses 1 Sanity when it enters play.

To fight a monster, a player moves to the monster's location and declares intent. The player then loses Sanity equal to the monster's Horror rating and Stamina equal to the monster's Combat rating. The monster in turn loses one point of Toughness. If this reduces the monster to 0 toughness, the monster is defeated.

Alternatively, any player may spend 5 clue tokens to remove all monsters from a single location.

For each monster remaining at the end of the day, the terror level in Arkham increases by one. The mafia gains one clue token per turn per point of terror (in addition to any they gain normally). Monsters do not attack on their own, except as stated.

Death
Players can die in three ways:

- Stamina or Sanity reduced to 0
- Lynched
- Nightkilled

When a player dies, his/her identity is revealed and all clue tokens in his/her possession are lost.

gahitsu
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
This is a Mafia I would LOVE to play in.

But with me moving and all, I really can't devote the time. Best of luck to you, though, this sounds like balls of fun~ ♥

Krakenbrau
10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I could get into this. I don't much about Arkham Horror, but I'm intrigued. I have read plenty of Lovecraft though.

Guild
10-13-2011, 08:04 PM
This is pretty far removed from standard mafia to the point that I'd hesitate to even CALL it mafia. If I'm reading right, you've replaced WIFOM with actual facts and puzzle-solving and elimination processes. WIFOM is what makes mafia unique amongst even very similar games. The 'it could be any of us' engine of paranoia that fuels a mob's rule is what the original creator was attempting to simulate. I believe he specifically modeled it after the Salem Witch Trials, in which guilt or innocence was entirely in the minds of the observers.

If you need a play tester jerk, I'll help break it! :D

Mogri
10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
This is pretty far removed from standard mafia to the point that I'd hesitate to even CALL it mafia. If I'm reading right, you've replaced WIFOM with actual facts and puzzle-solving and elimination processes. WIFOM is what makes mafia unique amongst even very similar games. The 'it could be any of us' engine of paranoia that fuels a mob's rule is what the original creator was attempting to simulate. I believe he specifically modeled it after the Salem Witch Trials, in which guilt or innocence was entirely in the minds of the observers.

If you need a play tester jerk, I'll help break it! :D

This is my concern as well! But consider the following:
- Clue tokens benefit mafia and town alike. Mafia has equal incentive to visit unstable locations.
- Mafia will want to participate in monster hunting to appear townish. Mafia might have other incentives as well, such as abilities that give benefits for killing monsters.
- Clue token consumption is private. Now that I think about this, it might mean spending 5 to banish is a bad mechanic because it allows positive identification sometimes... I'll have to rethink this.

That said, I'm still ambivalent about the monsters for exactly the reasons you mention. I'd be willing to strip out the monsters, stamina, and sanity and instead just give one clue token per player per day, in which case the game becomes more strictly a themed mafia. That'd be up to the players.

So does town automatically win by killing mafia, or will they have to wrangle whatever loose monsters remain on top of that?
Standard win conditions! You can "win" the board game even after the town is overrun by monsters and the residents flee. (Besides, with the cult out of action, nothing stops the town from lounging around the hospital/asylum until they can take on the monsters at their leisure.)

Guild
10-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I think that, rather than strip out the parts that are interesting because they aren't mafiaesque enough, let's play this game anyway and call it mafia and see if we can break it. What if, instead of just one token, players get 1d3 tokens, and it costs 10? That way there's room to lie about how many tokens one has?

Mogri
10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll think about it. There's a good solution lurking here somewhere. I will say that I hate to throw the game to the mercy of the dice; a better method would be to deal with the issue through existing game mechanics.

In the meantime, go wrangle up some players. :cool:

Elfir
10-18-2011, 01:02 PM
I've never played a mafia game but I love Arkham Horror so if this happens I'll give it a shot. I don't check this board often so just shoot me a PM whenever it gets underway.

Guild
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I've never played a mafia game but I love Arkham Horror so if this happens I'll give it a shot. I don't check this board often so just shoot me a PM whenever it gets underway.

Hmm. Idea forming.

What if there were a place where setups like this were run CONSTANTLY and IN TANDEM in some cases. No limit on the number of games you can join, etc. Well?!

Mogri, if your setup doesn't get anuff prayer nomination, you can always run it on Forumageddon if you want. We even have a member! Envy, from Pyoko! I know it's a small start, but every dojo starts small. Our masters are Brickroad, and we study the Way of the Show, and Friday, who is the Sun Tzu of Mafia, and Mazo, who knows how to quit when ahead.

Mogri
10-18-2011, 05:00 PM
I am not initiated in the ways of this "Forumageddon." I seek enlightenment.