PDA

View Full Version : Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple

pence
10-30-2011, 10:41 PM
A Play-By-Forum thread for Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
the Pilgrims: Luana, Nich, Nodal, Pence and Widdershins

To my surprise, almost all of the rules are on this page: http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-pilgrims-of-flying-temple.html

I'll do my best to break the game down below.

INTRO:

This is a thread for a game Luana, Nich, Nodal, Widdershins and I discussed on IRC. We're putting it up here because, by playing in a play-by-forum manner, it is a lot easier to get around people's work schedules (specifically Nodal's). Plus, it opens up the possibility for others to participate in an admittedly minor way, by serving as Troublemakers (more on that below). It's also short enough that a single story can be finished in two weeks or so. The four (or five, Widds is on the fence) of us are going to be making characters over the next few days, with a plan to start the story by Wednesday, November 2.

Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple is a cooperative storytelling game where you play meddlesome kids solving problems in a world full of grown-ups. The Pilgrims aspire to help others, and in doing so, inevitably get themselves into trouble. Over the course of play, the Pilgrims change and grow, creating a lighthearted coming-of-age story.

It's not really a role-playing game, except when it is.

SETTING:

The characters are Pilgrims, young men and women who are at a crossroads, learning whether their future lies with the monks of the Flying Temple, or in the worlds outside. They entered the temple at a young age, where they were treated well, trained well, and taught to fly unaided. Most worldly people need to use airships to fly, but pilgrims can do it on their own! At the beginning of a game, the characters are handed a stack of letters and told to undertake their Pilgrimage, carrying the letters around the worlds and acting as peacekeepers for the Flying Temple.

The worlds around the Flying Temple are reminiscent of those from The Little Prince - small enough to contain a single city, or maybe even a few houses. The space between worlds is full of clouds, airships, whales, and mossy plants. The stars in the sky are actually campfires or streetlamps on not-so-distant worlds.

PLAY:

First, a link to the free quickstart sheet (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7247980/Do/Do-Quick%20Start%20and%20Reference.pdf). It contains the rules in better detail than I can list them here.

The story begins with a letter, written by someone who needs the help of the Pilgrims. The letter contains a list of Goal Words, which may be crossed off in specific circumstances. The pilgrims' goal is to get all of them crossed off, hopefully leaving the world a better place than it was when they arrived.

The randomizer for the game is a bag of 'stones': 20 black and 20 white. The core mechanic is writing in a shared journal, which will be represented on the forums as a block of text.

The players take turns being the STORYTELLER. Everyone who isn't the Storyteller is a TROUBLEMAKER, even people who drop into the thread and aren't 'playing' the game. In order to facilitate easier forum play for a game that's written to be played face-to-face, we are going to have the player sitting two seats to the left of the Storyteller be the CHIEF TROUBLEMAKER. (This is a completely un-playtested change from the rules as written, so we'll see how it goes!) They will have the final say when the Storyteller gets in trouble, but they are strongly encouraged to take suggestions and inspiration from the other Troublemakers!

The first Storyteller draws 3 stones from the bag, and chooses to keep either the black stones, or white stones. They keep these stones, and put the others back into the bag. This has a specific outcome, listed in the rules (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7247980/Do/Do-Quick%20Start%20and%20Reference.pdf).

Sometimes, the Storyteller will be allowed to write a sentence how they help someone, or help themselves - they should do this in the third person, as if they are narrating the story.

Sometimes, the Storyteller can use a Goal Word. They should CAPITALIZE the Goal Word in their sentence, and then cross it off the list:

[QUOTE]Pilgrim Delicate Brick uses his great size to clear a path through the WHALE’s blowhole straight into the whale’s mouth.

Sometimes, the Troublemakers will be allowed to put the Storyteller into trouble. This is where everyone, even people who aren't playing, can offer suggestions!

The Troublemakers can always use a Goal Word. The Chief Troublemaker should CAPITALIZE the Goal Word in their sentence, and then cross it off the list:

Pilgrim Delicate Brick emerges from the WHALE’s blowhole coated in briny mucus that covers him in an itchy rash.

Yes, this means that the Troublemakers get the Pilgrims closer to a happy ending! In general, if you begin your turn in Trouble, you'll be unable to cross off Goal Words when you're the Storyteller, so it's in the pilgrims' best interests to help one another if they can.

If the Pilgrims succeed in crossing off all of the Goal Words, play proceeds to the epilogue, and they get a Parades ending!

After all the Pilgrims have taken a turn, a new round begins. If any Pilgrim has 8 or more stones at the end of a round, and there are still Goal Words that have not been crossed off, play proceeds to the epilogue, and they get a Pitchforks ending!

pence
10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Creating a Pilgrim:

I'm just going to let the designer handle this one, and copy the text directly from the blog post above (http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-pilgrims-of-flying-temple.html):

Step 1: Choose your pilgrim's Avatar.
Pick an object or thing. For example, "tree," "cat," or "window."

Step 2: Choose your pilgrim's Banner.
Describe that thing in one word. For example, "green," "sleeping," or "cloudy."

Step 3: Describe how your pilgrim gets in trouble and how she helps people.
Your pilgrim's Banner is a metaphor for how she gets in trouble. Your pilgrim's Avatar is a metaphor for how she helps people. With that in mind, fill in the blanks in this sentence: "Pilgrim (Banner) (Avatar) gets in trouble by _____ and helps people by _____."

For example:

Pilgrim Green Tree gets in trouble by being naive about worldly affairs and helps people by nurturing their talents.
Pilgrim Sleeping Cat gets in trouble by taking naps at inappropriate times and helps people by suddenly freaking out without warning.
Pilgrim Cloudy Window gets in trouble by having his intentions misunderstood and helps people by opening opportunities.

That's it! All you need is Pilgrim (adjective) (noun).

A few more notes about what a Pilgrim does:

Pilgrims Help People: Each pilgrim has different methods, but their goal is always to help in whatever way they can.
Pilgrims find a Middle Path: With the authority and respect of the temple behind your pilgrim, she solves problems, even if it’s not how the letter-writer expected.
Pilgrims Get into Trouble: Pilgrims get detained, entangled, misunderstood, and stumble into absurd situations. That’s just an occupational hazard.
Pilgrims Fly Away: A pilgrim is involved in a world’s affairs for only a short time. Even if she’s in trouble, she will be able to fly away at the end of the story unscathed.
Pilgrims Grow Up: While your pilgrim will fly away unscathed, she won’t leave a world unchanged. Your pilgrim will change how she helps people and how she gets into trouble. These changes are reflected in her name changing, too. One world at a time, she will grow to become the adult she is meant to be.

Nodal
10-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Pilgrim Penultimate Cancer gets in trouble by quitting before he sees something through and helps people by making them grow in ways they didn't foresee.

Egarwaen
10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
This game looks brilliant. I'll be following this thread closely, and may even jump in to create trouble!

Mogri
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Pilgrim Penultimate Cancer gets in trouble by quitting before he sees something through and helps people by making them grow in ways they didn't foresee.
Amazing

pence
10-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not even going to try to top Pilgrim Penultimate Cancer.

Pilgrim Moving Curtain gets in trouble by fidgeting constantly and helps people by using a really long billowing curtain.

Luana
10-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Pilgrim Monochromatic Discount gets in trouble by not seeing the grey areas of situations and helps people by getting them what they need... cheap.

pence
10-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Excellent! So our pilgrimage is...

Pence - Pilgrim Moving Curtain gets in trouble by fidgeting constantly and helps people by using a really long billowing curtain.

Luana - Pilgrim Monochromatic Discount gets in trouble by not seeing the grey areas of situations and helps people by getting them what they need... cheap.

Nich - Pilgrim Cozy Diagram gets in trouble by not respecting personal space and helps people by establishing order.

Nodal - Pilgrim Penultimate Cancer gets in trouble by quitting before he sees something through and helps people by making them grow in ways they didn't foresee.

This will also serve as seating around the table, so Luana is sitting to the left of pence, etc. Widdershins is sitting out for now.

For doing this post by post, I'm just going to rely on people to come up with a randomizer that will simulate drawing three stones from a bag. Unfortunately, this part gets more complicated online. If we like the first letter, I'm picturing giving everyone else a chance to pick a letter, and ending the pilgrimage after four letters.

So without further ado... Letter #1 (http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/do-is-it-safe-to-allow-cabbages-on.html):

Popsicore Worldwide Family Theme Parks, Inc.
Dear Monks,

I'm probably not the guy who should be writing you about this problem, but my boss, George, has locked himself in the executive bathroom with a case of gin and won't come out. Not that I blame him, except, you know? I do. Still I can understand.

Things were pretty simple here at the Popsicore Park until recently. We sold tickets and junk food, kept the rides running and park clean (a big job that, what with the rides, kids and junk food). I mean it was hard work, yeah, but not exactly mentally taxing if you know what I mean.

When the Sky Cabbages first came to our world it didn't make much of an impact here. Yeah, it was pretty weird that our world was being visited by six-foot-around talking sky cabbages, but it didn't have anything to do with the daily round of repairs, cleanup and crowds. Not even when a bunch of crazies called "The Coleslaw Front" started attacking the sky cabbages at random with bombs and machetes. But then the cabbages discovered than they loved amusement parks. So they started showing up in droves. So of course they showed up here at Popsicore Park.

That gave us with a number of problems. First, since they were six-foot high, the cabbages are tall enough for all of our rides. But they're also six-feet wide, which is a bit of an issue. We could have simply have turned them away, but the sky cabbages waved a lot of money at George (who began to develop a bit of a twitch at this point), so he signed some sort of contract with them and told me to figure something out.

Well, most of our rides are based on a standard cart design. I figured that if we replaced all the seats with a padded floor and sides and added some extra safety straps, we could accommodate one sky cabbage per cart. I told George this, and he told me to change over a quarter of the carts on each ride to carry cabbages. (At this point his twitch got noticeably worse.)

Well, we closed for three days in midweek for the changeover, and planned to reopen on this Friday with a big ad campaign about how we were now "cabbage friendly." George figured since a lot of people were curious about the sky cabbages, so we'd pull in a lot of regular people, too. And he'd probably have been right, too, if the High Slicer of the Coleslaw Front hadn't gotten on the radio somehow and broadcast a threat to send a thousand thugs with machetes to slice up the cabbages if they dared show their, ah, leaves, at our park.

Well, just as George had decided to not open the park on Friday after all, a delegation of cabbages showed up, waving the contract George had signed and told him in no uncertain terms that they weren't afraid of the Coleslaw Front, and if the park wasn't open on Friday, they'd sue.

That's when George went out and bought the gin and retreated into the bathroom, leaving me in charge. This leaves me with two big questions I was hoping you guys could help me with: first, do I open the park or not tomorrow; and second, even with the modified cart, is it safe to put a giant cabbage on a roller coaster?

Thanks for your help! I'll stick this letter in a helium balloon and let it go -- with any luck it'll float to your temple in time.

Best,
Hazel Harrington,
Chief of Maintenance
Popsicore Park

Goal Words
George
George
Ride
Ride
Ride
maintenance
"a thousand thugs"
"executive bathroom"
"Hazel Harrington"
"Hazel Harrington"
"Hazel Harrington"
"modified cart"
"Popsicore Park"
"six-foot tall”
"six-foot wide”
"talking Sky Cabbages"
"talking Sky Cabbages"
"The Coleslaw Front"
"The Coleslaw Front"
"The Coleslaw Front"

I'll start us off in a few minutes...

pence
10-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Pilgrim Moving Curtain draws...
W W B, keeping white.
Moving Curtain has: 0 black, 2 white.
The bag has: 20 black, 18 white.

Chapter 1: Is it Safe to Allow Cabbages on Roller Coasters?

Pilgrim Moving Curtain swoops toward the 100-story restaurant where THE COLESLAW FRONT lives, carefully draping his curtain over the single window, so that they won't see the sun rise when the park opens tomorrow morning.

Goal Words
George
George
Ride
Ride
Ride
maintenance
"a thousand thugs"
"executive bathroom"
"Hazel Harrington"
"Hazel Harrington"
"Hazel Harrington"
"modified cart"
"Popsicore Park"
"six-foot tall”
"six-foot wide”
"talking Sky Cabbages"
"talking Sky Cabbages"
"The Coleslaw Front"
"The Coleslaw Front"
"The Coleslaw Front"

(What happens next: I kept 2 stones, and Moving Curtain wasn't in trouble, so now the Troublemakers gets to put him in trouble. Basically, anyone who wants can talk about the stuff that should happen to Moving Curtain. And since Nich is sitting two to my left, he gets to write the actual sentence! After he's done putting Moving Curtain in trouble and possibly crossing off a goal word, it's Luana's turn!)

Nodal
11-01-2011, 06:09 AM
That curtain just seems way too long. Maybe long enough to form a red carpet right out the door for the coleslaw front?

pence
11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Fortunately, Moving Curtain still managed to fool 999 of them... so far. D:

Luana
11-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Pilgrim Monochromatic Discount draws...
W W B, keeping black.
Monochromatic Discount has: 1 black, 0 white.
The bag has: 19 black, 18 white.

Pilgrim Moving Curtain swoops toward the 100-story restaurant where THE COLESLAW FRONT lives, carefully draping his curtain over the single window, so that they won't see the sun rise when the park opens tomorrow morning. His impatient pacing around on the roof while he stands guard that night draws the attention of one of the THOUSAND THUGS, who goes up the stairs to check it out.

In this case, since my pilgrim was not in trouble and chose to keep one stone...

Your pilgrim gets in trouble, but quickly gets herself out of trouble.
First, the Troublemakers write a sentence about your pilgrim getting in trouble. Troublemakers may use a Goal Word. If they do so, cross it off the list. As long as you are in trouble, keep a trouble token in front of you.
Then, you write a sentence about your pilgrim getting herself out of trouble. You may not use a Goal Word. (Or, if you do, just don't cross it off the list.)

Therefore, I hand the reins over to Nodal and the rest of the merry makers!

pence
11-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't know, but it should probably involve a color-coded executive restroom... or ride. I'm going all out on being literal tonight.