PDA

View Full Version : Alright, you jerk bags

Parish
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I know you're all too good for video games with your fancy boards and cards and dice and such, but I have to insist that you do not overlook Fortune Street, which is a board game pretending to be a video game and lets you play as a Dragon Quest Slime. It is very good (http://www.1up.com/reviews/fortune-street-wii).

nadia
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I played a demo of this, and was very happy to learn you could play as Angelo from DragonQuest VIII.

TheSL
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I plan on getting it with some Christmas money or something, hopefully it won't be too rare too quickly.

widdershins
12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
I've been wanting to play some iteration of Itadaki Street since I heard about it a couple of years ago -- probably on one 1up podcast or another, honestly. Sadly, now that it's come our way, I have no Wii.

...I may need to rectify this at some point.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
You sold me on "jerk bags"!

Red Hedgehog
12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
How does it play with two players? I could see my girlfriend and I getting into this but having 2 others over to play would be rare.

Kayma
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I am baffled and delighted that this actually got localized. I think I have to pick it up on principal.

Destil
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
What are the multiplayer options? Can I have a mix of people in the same room and people on the internet?

Sprite
12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I really want this game. The stock system seems pretty compelling and fond memories of Top Shop make me pine for another remix on Monopoly, especially if I can play as Birdo. I'm a little skittish to spend $50 on a game I'll probably get to play once or twice a year, if that, though. I'm glad there's online play but I'm sure figuring out a time where four Tyrants can be all on at once, for multiple game sessions, would be a nightmare. It's too bad asynchronous play hasn't caught on with the consoles.

How long is a typical game, anyway? The reviews all seem to agree that it's long, but is long in this context three hours or five hours?

TheSL
12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
How long is a typical game, anyway? The reviews all seem to agree that it's long, but is long in this context three hours or five hours?

I've got the DS version (I know, not exactly the same) and I remember taking an hour minimum on the easier boards.

Falselogic
12-05-2011, 09:51 AM
this jerk bag doesn't have a wii!

*cries*

Sprite
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I've got the DS version (I know, not exactly the same) and I remember taking an hour minimum on the easier boards.
An hour isn't that long as far as board games go, though. If the average is around three hours or less I'd say that's a pretty good length for an in-depth board game. Any longer than that is pushing it for me.

Googleshng
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I know you're all too good for video games with your fancy boards and cards and dice and such, but I have to insist that you do not overlook Fortune Street, which is a board game pretending to be a video game and lets you play as a Dragon Quest Slime. It is very good (http://www.1up.com/reviews/fortune-street-wii).

Hey now! I MAKE games like that, but I'm a creepy hermit with no one else to play with, so I'm pretty sure I'm off the hook here.

Sprite
12-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Yikes, Amazon, Walmart.com and Bestbuy.com are all already backordered. I was not expecting that.

Mr. J
12-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Giant bomb is currently doing a live stream of this if you're still on the fence over it.
http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Brickroad
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
McDohl imported a copy of whatever Idataki Street came out on PS2, with the FF and DQ characters. The game is super fun even if you have no idea what's going on.

We found the dice button, and yelled "DICE!" a lot.

Sprite
12-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I ended up breaking my metaphorical piggy bank (new computer fund) because I've been wanting to play one of these games since high school and a couple of my friends back home said they'd get it for online fun times. Although, if what I've been reading is correct, you're forced to use Miis online? As in, I can't play as Birdo for no reason? Miis are fun and all, but removing one of the big (if superficial) draws of the game is kind of stupid...
The game is super fun even if you have no idea what's going on.
I keep thinking of your blog post every time a review says "it's like Monopoly, but not nearly as long." When comparing the standard rules of both games, Monopoly is probably much shorter.

Traumadore
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
When comparing the standard rules of both games, Monopoly is probably much shorter.

Ah, the eternal struggle. Who knows, maybe this videogame also allows you to houserule it into a neverending loop, and possibly encourages you to skip the rulebook becuase you already know how to play Monopoly right? You don't need to read that.

Sprite
12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
So, um, how do I quicksave in a multiplayer game? Quicksave is replaced with "Abandon Game" in the options when playing With Friends, which just takes me back to the title screen and erases my progress. Parish's review mentioned you can save up to three games, and I've managed to quicksave in single player, so I assume there is a way, because programming and implementing a save system only in single player is the dumbest possible thing you could do when making a freaking party game.

Sami
12-11-2011, 02:29 AM
I'm interested in this. I think it might go over well in my group of board game, Mario Party playing friends. Having a bunch of Dragon Quest characters to play as doesn't hurt and the investment gameplay appeals to me at least.

Googleshng
12-11-2011, 04:31 AM
online fun times

Oh hey! Suddenly I care about this game! I keep forgetting Wii games sometimes fail to arbitrarily forget that feature.

Sprite
12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Haha, turning your character on CPU and just letting the game run is actually a pretty good way to grind out stages if you don't feel like putting in the hours. My Mii just trounced Mario Circuit and got me a bunch of trophies.

Sami
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Haha, turning your character on CPU and just letting the game run is actually a pretty good way to grind out stages if you don't feel like putting in the hours. My Mii just trounced Mario Circuit and got me a bunch of trophies.

Oh wow. This just might offset the silly limitations on characters and unlockables that I've been reading about.

pointzeroeight
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Although, if what I've been reading is correct, you're forced to use Miis online? As in, I can't play as Birdo for no reason? Miis are fun and all, but removing one of the big (if superficial) draws of the game is kind of stupid..

Is this actually the case? (Assuming you've had the chance to go online with it)

Sprite
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Is this actually the case? (Assuming you've had the chance to go online with it)
I haven't yet, but according to the GameFAQs boards that is the case. The upside is the game has an enormous amount of clothes and other things you can customize your Mii with, but you're still stuck with a Mii. A truly baffling decision on the developers part.

Far more baffling, however, is the omission of quicksave from multiplayer. I really don't understand. They actually programmed a save system and then willfully removed the functionality from the mode everyone will use the most. Combine that fact with the two hour game time and you're going to have a really hard time getting people to sit down and commit. No review mentions this limitation, probably because any thinking human being would see quicksave in single player and assume it carries over to multiplayer. I'm actually pretty pissed about the whole thing.

The game itself is still really great, though, so I still feel confident in my purchase, even if I barely ever get to play. There is one huge upside: I don't think the AI actually cheats, or at least it hasn't appeared that way in the levels I've played. I think people underestimate how much control players have over where they land, especially on certain boards, as sometimes you can go in a circle rather than land on a nasty property until you get a good roll. A good set of properties in a prime location will still snare plenty of CPUs, or at least stall them out. The only real problem, something Parish noted, is that D-ranked characters are still fairly good at the game, and can manage to beat S-ranked characters. The only stages that could be considered easy are the tutorial and Castle Trodain. Everything else is the deep pool.

tl;dr - Fortune Street is a great game marred by a couple of boneheaded design choices. Also, the AI probably isn't a cheater, but the difficulty scale is way off.

McDohl
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I have often described this game to people as "Super Monopoly".

Or some variant of, "The Japanese deciding that Monopoly just wasn't good enough."

I plan on getting this soon. Itadaki Street Special (that Brickroad mentioned) was a fucking blast, and I fully support localization efforts to bring this CRAZY BATSHIT GAME SERIES over here IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE.

Sprite
12-15-2011, 03:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EG05b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8713T.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HWDrr.jpg

Not sure if the computer cheats or not, but it sure seems bad at it sometimes. Luckily Dragonlord has a bad habit of sitting on a district for too long before investing, which is pretty easy to exploit.

Dragonlord also has a fake ye-olde dialect ala Dragon Warrior, which is awesome.

Googleshng
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
So I finally picked this up just after getting back from PAX East and... wow, this is a pretty nifty game.

I'm kinda surprised the internet isn't overflowing with strategy cheese and shop lists. Game's been out for months and all. Since it isn't though...

- Someone want to break down how all the things you can do with a vacant lot work? Official documentation is rather Lacking.

- What the hell is with this die? It's not the 1d6 it looks like, because I've seen it roll 7s, and I've seen 9s show up when it's shaking. I've never actually seen it roll a 9 though so... is that more rare? Is it secretly 2d5-1 or something?

- Do I need to do anything to unlock stuff beyond winning once (or, just coming in second apparently) on every board?

- So wait... is the selection of random clothes and junk to stick on my character tied to the gender of the Mii I picked? What happens if I change that later?

Traumadore
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I finally played my copy a little. My friends thought it was: Fun, too long, ridiculous for lack of a save option. Seems the standard interpretation.

Googleshng
04-11-2012, 07:13 PM
It's tricky, length wise. I would say 20000G is just way too high a target, but the way things start to snowball it doesn't really make the game noticably longer than when it goes to 15000.

Also, I have half a mind to just go make an LTTP thread for this sucker, because wow is this thread's title hard to remember.

Also, right at the start of the yoshi's island map I managed to buy up everything on that little side island. Since then I have unavoidably landed on pipes like 5 times, and not one single person has fallen into my terrifying trap.

Worst part is, I keep getting sucked back in myself, so I still haven't had a chance to buy any stock.

Traumadore
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
It kind of felt like stuff was starting to happen when folks got to about 3-4x the starting amount, but I still feel like the recommended goal of about 8x was too high. Maybe 6x would be a faster but still satisfying game, but that would still take way too long unless everyone knew what they were doing.

demonkoala
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I finally played my copy a little. My friends thought it was: Fun, too long, ridiculous for lack of a save option. Seems the standard interpretation.
There is no...save!?
I played the crap out of the PS2 version with DQ and FF characters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street#Dragon_Quest_.26_Final_Fantasy_in_I tadaki_Street_Special) and never had problems with long games since it was all good with saves. I was considering the wii version now, but that is discouraging.

TheSL
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
There is no...save!?
I played the crap out of the PS2 version with DQ and FF characters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street#Dragon_Quest_.26_Final_Fantasy_in_I tadaki_Street_Special) and never had problems with long games since it was all good with saves. I was considering the wii version now, but that is discouraging.

There's a save for single player, but you can play as Miis only.

There's no save in multiplayer but you can play as all the DQ/Mario characters.