PDA

View Full Version : Go, Baduk, Weiqui, Igo

Guesty
01-23-2012, 04:17 PM
So I've recently been getting into this game. Pity no one near me knows how to play, but I have been playing on KGS a bit, although I'm still quite bad (27k).

Does anyone else around here play this game?

And if you've been interested in wondering how the hell to play this game:
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

^I used the above to learn basic rules and tactics, but these only scratch the surface.

Lucas
01-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I played a bit a few months ago, but never got near playing a whole board or without a handicap. The guy teaching me to play was just so happy to find a local opponent at all, though....

Raven
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
There was a Go fever during the time I was in junior high (thanks to Hikaru no Go), when everyone loved playing it by using pencil and paper instead of real proper board. Super easy to learn, really difficult to master. I used to play a lot and and never really get good at it; keep making dumb mistakes early that cost me significant amount of territory later.

Guess I'll dive back and see if I still suck at it.

Mogri
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I've played once.

Karzac
01-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I learned Go this summer and loved it, but have the same problem of nobody wanting to play with me. Except just this weekend I found out that somebody at work also plays, so I'm going to be playing with her on Wednesday! On now this! It's like Go week for me.

Guesty
02-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Does anyone want to organize a game on KGS or something for some newbie fun times?

Karzac
02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I'd play, but I don't know what KGS is.

Matchstick
02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I played a bit a long while back, but I haven't played regularly in a while. I'm happy to hook up on KGS for game times. My id there is the same as here.

For everybody's edification, KGS (http://www.gokgs.com/) is site that people from all over the world use to play Go with each other. There's a good selection of clients for pretty much any platform, and lots of people at various skill levels that you can hook up with. In the past, I've even taken online lessons from people that had signed up to mentor newer players. I'd be happy to jump on and play with people (and play or give tips as my skill level allows). I'm not sure what timezones and availability people have, though, for organizing something.