PDA

View Full Version : GameSpite in Print - the thread

Victory Peak
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
I used the search function as well as it let me, but I couldn't find a general thread about GameSpite.net's various printed efforts. As a fan of Mr. Parish' printed works I figured there would be a general thread where people could voice their impressions and gripes. There wasn't, until now.

So about the GameSpite Year Two book. Even without a ToC listed I ordered it straight away, considering the quality of GameSpite / Toastyfrog articles ever since the turn of the millennium. I was really pleasantly surprised by the size of the book. It's so thin! Thinner is better as far as I'm concerned. The combination of the slightly larger format of the book itself in combination with the smaller font really paid off, I feel. Better yet, the page lay-out is getting better and better with each book, this one having the best yet. I really like the usage of official art in combination with the surprisingly clear screenshots, validating my choice to order the color version.

Unfortunately, the book doesn't seem to have been proof-read very well. All previous books had a bunch of typos littered througout, but that's fair game as far as fanzines are concerned. Still, these books are getting more and more expensive and I feel it's getting harder to excuse some things. Year Two betrays its origin by having a lot of question marks behind game titles. The Deadly Rooms of Death article contains screen caption quotes mixed in with the main article, making for some confusing reading. And the Shining Soul II piece is just a mess. I figured this book would have the benefit of being proofread twice: originally when the articles were posted on the site and once again when they were included in the book, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I mean, the page numbering stops at page 5! (Though since there isn't a real ToC that doesn't matter a lot.)

Don't think I didn't enjoy reading it though. The Drill Dozer, Gradius III and MegaMan DWR articles were great reads, to name just a few. Looking forward to the next GS Journal. The design of these books gets better with each release up and the content is usually well worth paying for. You GameSpite guys are basically living my childhood dream of publishing your own books. That's pretty cool.

Kishi
02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Drill Dozer, Gradius III

I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Parish
02-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty stressed to hear about these errors. I went through twice to make sure captions were excised. Unfortunately during the production of this issue I had a lot of crap happen in my life, including changing computers and reverting across several versions of InDesign, so all I can guess is that somewhere along the way I got the files mixed up and lost a bunch of edits. I'm really sorry. 2012 sucks.

Mokrap of Croton
02-16-2012, 07:32 PM
brb, gonna go print out some websites so I can read them.

Victory Peak
02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
2012 sucks.

2012 is still pretty fresh, it has plenty of time left to compensate for a rough start.

Also, GSJ10 was a really good read, I thought. I was really surprised by the inclusion of fan-translated RPGs. There were some curious omissions of more mainstream titles (why no Disney love?), but those RPG articles made up for it. Giving each article its own background color was a nice touch as well. Yay, color!

Parish
02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
2012 is still pretty fresh, it has plenty of time left to compensate for a rough start.

I honestly have trouble seeing how the year could apologize for how miserable it's been so far, but if you insist.

gahitsu
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Here's to hoping things get better for you, Parish.

TK Flash
02-28-2012, 04:47 AM
I really liked the GS 10 Earthbound article. Short, punchy, and to the point, but with a heavy statement and not a wasted word. I hope to see more like it in the future.

Bear
02-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I loved the Earthbound article! Just so happen to be at Tenda village in Earthbound on a fresh play through, reminiscing over some tea. Good stuff!

You guys seem to publish articles on games just as I happen to be re-playing them; I was perusing through Robotrek when that article landed, so it's kind of a weird coincidence. haha

daroga
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
If anyone is looking to pick any back issues up, "NOSCREEN" gives you 20% off. Just ordered the SNES and PS1 issues myself. Can't wait to see the color SNES one!

Parish
02-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I loved the Earthbound article! Just so happen to be at Tenda village in Earthbound on a fresh play through, reminiscing over some tea. Good stuff!

You guys seem to publish articles on games just as I happen to be re-playing them; I was perusing through Robotrek when that article landed, so it's kind of a weird coincidence. haha

Just keep playing through the SNES library in chronological order and you'll be great.

Bear
02-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Is that supposed to trigger a reaction? I hope you aren't seiken me out over here.

TK Flash
02-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Now now Parish, don't give this gaia any false illusions.

Karzac
02-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't think I'll lucca at this thread again until the end of time because of this.

Hito
02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Not another punderstorm. I'm gonna terra my hair out.

Vaeran
02-29-2012, 11:54 PM
You guys show way too much zeal for this sort of dumb wordplay. Do you really think it enhasas anyone's enjoyment of the thread?

spineshark
03-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Selan all your stuff to buy SNES games is a good Maxim to live by.

Kirin
03-19-2012, 09:58 AM
So, I don't suppose anyone who's got the GS Year 2 book wants to throw up a quick table of contents? I realize posting an official one is on Jeremy's list of Things To Do, but I also know that list is extensive and spare time is short.

daroga
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
So, the SNES book? In color? Beautiful.

Victory Peak
03-24-2012, 04:22 PM
So, I don't suppose anyone who's got the GS Year 2 book wants to throw up a quick table of contents? I realize posting an official one is on Jeremy's list of Things To Do, but I also know that list is extensive and spare time is short.

I just happen to have Year 2 lying here next to me. Here goes:

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Braid
Cave Story
Contra 4
Deadly Rooms of Death
The Difficulty of Difficulty (Myst)
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Warrior VII
Drill Dozer
Final Fantasy VII
Gears of War
Gradius III
Jak & Daxter
Jet Set Radio Future
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge
N64: The Wander Years (Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye 64)
Nippon Ichi (Disgaea)
No More Heroes
Pokémon
Rocket Knight Adventure
Secret of Mana
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Shining Force II
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Streets of Rage
Suikoden III
Super Mario 64
Super Puyo Puyo 2
Sword of Vermilion
Tragedy of the Collectathons (Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario Bros. 3, DKC3, God of War)
Valkyrie Profile
Wario Land III
Wave Race Blue Storm
The World Ends with You
Zack & Wiki

Kirin
03-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks, VP!

Issun
03-27-2012, 01:05 AM
The recent GSJ10 uploads on the site have really brought home how 1995 was really the banner year for 16-bit gaming. Much like 1990 for 8-bit and 1998 for 32/64-bit.

Parish
04-14-2012, 03:19 PM
The latest issue is published, just not yet publicized (http://www.blurb.com/user/store/gamespite).

Also, this bad boy will net you 20% off: NEWRMN20

Googleshng
04-14-2012, 08:04 PM
The latest issue is published, just not yet publicized (http://www.blurb.com/user/store/gamespite).

Also, this bad boy will net you 20% off: NEWRMN20

Woo!

Dizzy
04-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Cynicism and negativity are, to my thinking, a worthless commodity these days. Any jackass can go online and make broad, strawman complaints about something. Nitpicking is the lowest common denominator of self-expression. Sarcasm is the literary tool of the inept. It’s far easier to destroy than to create, as they say, and the same holds true for criticism.

This from a person who celebrated Cinco de Juno. Ladies. Gentlemen.

Parish
04-14-2012, 11:55 PM
^ Wow, case in point there.

Googleshng
04-15-2012, 12:27 AM
So yeah, friendly reminder- If you didn't get #10 when it first came out because minimum order sizes didn't let you use a coupon code, grab that sucker now too.

Also, who are we quoting here?

TK Flash
04-17-2012, 03:20 AM
It was a wretched summer, but it would come to a happy end over two decades later when the store was pushed out of the shopping center to make room for a luxury clothing store.

How painful the twenty-year summer lasting from 1998 to 2018 must have been for poor Nadia. I remember BOF3 was long but I had no idea it was that long.

Time-paradox mind-bending strip mall prophecy aside, the articles in this new GSJ are great. I think the "Revisit a game of old" premise is a winner.

Victory Peak
04-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm a sucker for these things so I just ordered the latest GSJ. I really like the premise of this issue. Also, Blurb's shipping rates were lower this time! Yay!

ASandoval
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Got my issue today. Haven't had much time to really sink my teeth in (that's what the bus to work is for), but the cover's super classy. I mean, they usually are, but the minimalist/retro look makes it a real stand out on my shelf.

Sarge
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Got my GSJ11 in yesterday! Whoo! Color hardback and all. Had to go all out for my first published piece (Black Sigil, for the record). :) Great job to everyone, I'm enjoying all the articles in there. I stayed up far too late reading them, so I'm suffering from lack of sleep now.

Also, GSJ10 came with it, but I only went B&W, paperback, 'cause I'm not made of money. :P

falz
04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Paying extra for the color version was a great idea, if I do say so myself. I love seeing these screenshots right on the page!

Critically speaking, the cover of this issue sets a standard for the publication. It's better than any of the other covers and way better than the the last few. THis is the first issue I've purchased since issue 6 simply because I wanted to see this cover in person (it was worth it!). In terms of formatting inside the book, I'd have to say the page header colors could have been chosen with a bit more care. The red doesn't fit with many of them. Other than that, though, the page layouts are spot on. Very readable. I'm definitely looking out for the next volume!

Grignr
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I got #10, #11, and Year 2 in this week (you can tell I was waiting for a coupon code). I got #10 in color and while the screencaps are beautiful, the white-text-on-color background makes my eyes tired, although the size of the font could be a factor. The font in Y2 looks about the same as in #10 but is more readable due to the B&W printing. The font in #11 looks better (it looks either thicker or larger).

I like the second-chance theme of #11, especially the recognition in the FFVIII piece of the great moments with Selphie and Zell/hotdogs. Of course, one of my complaints with that game was that the Junction menu was too hard to read on my 19" tv since the words were so small...

Victory Peak
05-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Finished reading all the way through J11. The cover easily is the best one to date. If I were to pick up a book based on its cover it would probably look like this. As usual there is some good content here. I especially liked the Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 articles, not just because they were informative to someone like me who never played these games, but also because they represent a type of game that didn't get a lot of attention on Gamespite up until now. I think the Metroid / MII / Ninja Gaiden / Parasite Eve 2 block in the middle of the book was really strong as well.

Critically speaking, bolding the names of every game in an article... not a good idea. I like that the layout is an evolution of the one used in GS Year 2, though having 2 large pieces of art per article seems a bit overkill. That space could've been used for more articles. Still, it's easy to see GSJ improves its design each installment, so I have no doubt these things will correct themselves eventually.

Looking forward to GSJ12, some Sega love is long overdue!

Parish
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
The bolded names thing was pretty terrible. It was a kludge to compensate for the fact that I didn't have a slim font with an oblique variant. I thought maybe it would help link up the online style to the print style, but mostly it just looks gross. For GSJ12 I've dropped some cash on a proper typeface with oblique (etc.) variants.

Kirin
05-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah, I'd been meaning to say I recently used the Blurb coupon to pick up 10, 11, and Y2. Because I'm not feeling flush with cash at the moment, I settled for B&W versions of all three, and was pleased to see that for the most part they didn't really suffer for it. Some of the blown-up screenshots in 10 get a little muddy, but other than that I didn't see any problems skimming through. I think 11 pulled off the dual-format with style.

Olli T
05-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I really like the art in GSJ11. The colors show off really great!

I would like to gripe that the platform / developer / etc. info is missing on more than one article, though.

Parish
05-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Sigh.

Issun
05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I noticed that, too, but I felt it was a pretty minor oversight.

I got my copy, and of course read my own article first. It was actually a bit of a letdown, because the whole time I read it, I kept seeing all the things I could have done better.

mercatfat
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
So I was browsing, as I often do, at one of the local Goodwills and I couldn't help but be taken a bit aback- I found the first quarterly (Game Boy) hiding in amongst the DVD's and similarly cased games. Finding it was kind of awesome in and of itself, but there was a note tucked in the front cover:

http://i.imgur.com/9HHWX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Fjvlu.jpg

I'm guessing this was the GSQ sent to the Jerry Holkins, as I am also a resident of the greater Seattle area.

I also guess this means the Game Boy really wasn't his thing.

Kishi
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
That is hilarious.

Little Sampson
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh shit

Red Silvers
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Awesome find!

Mightyblue
07-06-2012, 10:05 PM
oh man, that is awkwaaaard

Parish
07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
That's certainly interesting.

Parish
07-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Now that I think about it, you should go back and look around for the second book, too! I sent him the first two volumes but stopped once I never heard so much as a "Hey that book you sent arrived." (I guess this would explain why!)

mercatfat
07-06-2012, 10:56 PM
I definitely looked pretty hard for any other volumes after finding that one. I think it's a lost cause, but I may have to try again on the way home from work on Monday. Things move pretty quick at that Goodwill, so I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

As I think about it, there was a copy of Snake Eater exactly vertically two shelves above where I found the GSQ. Not kidding. Given your feelings about the game, I can't help but feel that some kind of cosmic trick was at play.

Kirin
10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
So did the latest GSJ theme get the site linked by some forum of die-hard Sega fanboys, because man, the comments on the front page lately...

Parish
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Eh, that Captain Rufus clown has always been a troll. I thought he'd gone away, but I guess his tender buttock flesh was just too abraded by the idea that Streets of Rage wasn't as good as its sequel to stay gone. Other than that all I've really seen have been a few not-funny attempts at humor. Nothing terrible in the grand scheme of the Internet.

Mightyblue
10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I didn't write the Beyond Oasis article Parish, unless I'm really losing it (entirely possible with the work schedule I've been on lately).

SilentSnake
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that'd be mine.

Parish
10-14-2012, 09:35 PM
How does this always happen no matter how many times I double check authors? Actually, I triple checked it this time. Sigh.

Kirin
10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe it'd be a good idea to copy-paste the table of contents to the writer's forum shortly before the proof goes out to Blurb in the future? Just to let a bunch of eyeballs give it one last sanity-check.

Mightyblue
10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Bluh, still can't believe people think WD was a "good" localization outfit today. Filling a script with "clever" pop references and the like along with needless changes to the games themselves are not hallmarks of actually good localizations.

Sarge
10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd argue some of the pop culture references made some of the games more interesting than they would have been otherwise. The tinkering with mechanics, on the other hand... probably not a good idea. Lots of unintended consequences with that.

Interesting to see GSJ1, I finally ordered that one. :) Would be cool to own that particular version of it, though. :D

Mightyblue
10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
But did they actually add any value to the games themselves, aside from a tiny chuckle at old Bill Clinton references by the time the game came out (Lunar)? I'd say no.

Googleshng
10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
But did they actually add any value to the games themselves, aside from a tiny chuckle at old Bill Clinton references by the time the game came out (Lunar)? I'd say no.

OK, let's see, value... well! We've got...

- Any given game they brought over coming over at all (seriously, WD only had access to games no other publisher was interested in, and generally had a great track record for finding obscure little gems.

- They actually did provide very nice, completely coherent, genuinely entertaining localizations at a time when you were lucky to get an RPG that didn't look like someone ran the script through babelfish from anyone else.

- As the internet kids say these days, dat packaging!

- Serious bug-fixing here and there. There's a page of notes in the back of the manual for Rayearth about them going in and recoding how multi-layer maps work to fix some real bad slowdown and such, Dragon Force made the previously useless X Y and Z buttons into hot keys, Lunar's save files originally had some real bad problems, etc.

- Later WD games tended towards groovy anthologies of whole series for about the price of single games.

- Low print runs literally caused an increase in value over time, if one were inclined to sell'em on eBay or something.

Parish
10-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Really? Come on, you're better than this. Reducing WD's localization work to dated Clinton references is disingenuous at best.

Mightyblue
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, yeah, but snarky one sentence responses sort of preclude any real substance.

EDIT: My problems with WD stem less from Ireland himself and more that the 'good' WD era lasted for roughly the Sega CD era with a few things on either end. The PS1 era was basically just the two Lunar remakes (with the utterly incomprehensible decision to fuck up the FMVs through recompressing) and the Arc the Lad trilogy (3/4's of which was unneccesary, with the possible exceptions of 1 and 3 depending on personal taste). The manuals and box packaging for those were fantastic, I'll admit, but as nice as feelies are I'd rather have more games and Ireland was too focused on his pet obsessions to do that.

The further you got from WD's origins, the less the fixes were actual fixes and the more everything became Ireland's personal vanity project to prove he could hang with the big boys by offering extremely niche content with tons of extras at absurdly cheap pricepoints for what he was actually putting in the boxes.

As far as pure localizing stuff goes, I absolutely detested the WD changes and additions to the two Lunar PS1 games (as far as script goes, and the way FMVs were handled. I don't remember what else Ireland had changed in those releases aside from the addition of autobattling) because injecting things that have no real place in a separate fictional setting really draws me out of the experience. The AtL games suffered from the reverse of that since you have three games plus 2's monster arena thing worth of territory to cover and localize, and a lot of the script is drily and sparsely translated (from what I recall, it has been a while) in all three games. Which, if colorful and skilled localization is the raison d'etre of your company...

Then you have things like the Sylpheed debacle and his Don Quixote-like obsession with Goemon and trying to get Sony to approve it, and Ireland spent most of the most expansive era of RPG gaming for consoles either absent or actively burning bridges with Japanese developers. Then XSEED and Atlus came along and started releasing a lot of RPGs at equal or better quality levels than WD ever did.

As far as I'm concerned, WD and Ireland did as much damage as they helped.

Sarge
10-25-2012, 04:09 PM
In my mind, though, Atlus' location work can get a bit spotty, though. They butchered their share of stuff as well (Persona for PSX comes immediately to mind). WD was just part of a different era, and it's one where I suspect they had to fight at every turn just to get some of this stuff out.

Besides, how long has XSEED been around? Seven or eight years? Not very long, honestly. They do good work, yes, but there were still some substantial gaps that weren't being filled by anyone else.

I'm not exactly an unbiased observer of this, of course. I didn't see the behind-the-scenes, all I cared about was the end product, and it was solid. Maybe not to those that required strict adherence to the source material, but for most, I'd say they were a net positive.

Mightyblue
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but WD never had the output of XSEED except at the very beginning. As a company WD may have been around for quite a while, but it didn't do much in the latter half of it since Ireland was consumed with his pet causes and butchering terrible remakes of shmups. I don't insist on literal translations as that's pretty silly, but I do object to out of place neologisms and whatnot in them, which WD did a lot.

And I'd just reiterate my earlier comment on how much "good" Ireland and WD did for localizing RPGs.

Parish
10-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey I have a cool idea, let's all look at the calendar and realize it's not 1998 anymore and we can stop arguing about Working Designs.

Sarge
10-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Okay, boss.

Adrenaline
10-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Look what came in the mail today :eek:

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo126/AdrenalineMJ/random/photobucket-6756-1351366250172.jpg

Only about 11 days quicker than they said it would take.

Kirin
10-28-2012, 10:11 AM
You could say it was... a shortcut to mushrooms?

(No, that totally random reference doesn't actually make any sense. Don't mind me.)

Victory Peak
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
So I finally finished the Sega issue. Must say I really liked the lay-out. It also was good to read up on Sega's earlier arcade endeavors. The issue felt a little light on content though. With such a great legacy it feels like you guys barely scratched the surface. Still, what's there is well written for the most part and makes for a good read.

I do have two questions. First, why is there no index? I mean, it's not like all the pages are numbered, but a good index never hurts. Second, what's up with the page filling screens of a handful of games? They look great, but I think I'd rather have read an article about them.

Keep up the good work guys, I'm really looking forward to the second Sega volume. Between the Saturn, Dreamcast and modern-day Sega there's a lot of ground to cover, so I hope you guys take your time and go all out. (Also, crack down on those typos!)

nadia
11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
How painful the twenty-year summer lasting from 1998 to 2018 must have been for poor Nadia. I remember BOF3 was long but I had no idea it was that long.

Time-paradox mind-bending strip mall prophecy aside, the articles in this new GSJ are great. I think the "Revisit a game of old" premise is a winner.

Have I ever mentioned that numbers ain't my strong suit?