PDA

View Full Version : Paprika: Mr. Kon? It's time for our medication...

SDMX
06-10-2007, 05:04 AM
The director (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kon) who brought you such incredible classics as Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress completely loses his gourd.

Trailer here. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/paprika/trailer/)

Debuted yesterday in SF (for those of you hard-assed West Coast talking time thugs). Soundtrack is already widely available (legally and otherwise) and is highly recommended. If I woke up every day for the rest of my life with the alarm clock playing the title track, I have little doubts that I would be a much better person in all respects.

When you see it and you want to, post your thoughts.

tungwene
06-10-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm debating whether this film is worth driving four hours up to Chicago for or should I cross my fingers and pray it's going to open in Indy.

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Kind of boring and repetitive. The girlfriend and I fell asleep in the middle of the show. Maybe I'll just re-watch Perfect Blue or Tokyo Godfathers.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I love Satoshi Kon, to me he's doing for Anime what Goddard and Truffaunt did for film.

Giving it a swift kick in the ass when its in desperate need of one.

Squall
06-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Kind of boring and repetitive. The girlfriend and I fell asleep in the middle of the show. Maybe I'll just re-watch Perfect Blue or Tokyo Godfathers.

Coincidentally, I fell asleep through Perfect Blue.

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Coincidentally, I fell asleep through Perfect Blue.

It could have been that we watched it too late. Perfect Blue was also a bit boring, but had a good story. Paprika just didn't grab me like PB did. I will give it another go though, when I'm more rested. The music was wonderful and the scenes beautiful. For that, I suppose, I would say judge for yourself--yeah, I'm going out on a limb there...--but I'm sure you will, anyway.

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 11:59 AM
For that, I suppose, I would say judge for yourself--yeah, I'm going out on a limb there...--but I'm sure you will, anyway.

I wasn't going to, but now I have your permission, so I will.

Chu
06-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I got a bit confused at the end, wondering how all that crazy stuff could really be happening, but it was still interesting to watch. The detective was lovable enough.

Tokyo Godfathers is still my favorite Kon production by far, though.

doc_marten_abortion
06-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I wasn't going to, but now I have your permission, so I will.

Har Har, let's not get overly pedantic. :P

philliam
06-10-2007, 03:42 PM
This guy did Paranoia Agent, I like him.

Mainly because of that awesome suicide episode.

djSyndrome
06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
The director (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kon) who brought you such incredible classics as Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress completely loses his gourd.

Trailer here. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/paprika/trailer/)

Debuted yesterday in SF (for those of you hard-assed West Coast talking time thugs). Soundtrack is already widely available (legally and otherwise) and is highly recommended. If I woke up every day for the rest of my life with the alarm clock playing the title track, I have little doubts that I would be a much better person in all respects.

When you see it and you want to, post your thoughts.

I'm a hard-assed West Coast talking time thug. Where's it playing, and for how long?

Squall
06-10-2007, 04:07 PM
In PB's defense, I just hated the art style (also why I never could stomach Lain beyond ep.1), and I only made it up to where some ugly guy beats up a kid at a concert. I think it's about 5 minutes in.

Mazian
06-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Paprika was the first of his films I've seen, so I can't compare it to the others mentioned. I liked it, though -- weird, but weird for well-considered reasons.

I think the parade is the evil mirror-universe twin to Spirited Away's procession near the beginning.

Eusis
06-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I should see his movies. I've only caught pieces of the Tokyo Godfather and watched through Paranoia Agent on Adult Swim. Ending felt kinda lackluster, but that was a great mindfuck, and I probably should've followed the reruns.

alexb
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Too bad it'll never come to my redneck bumfuck town.

mr_bungle700
06-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Mine either. However, that's what good old DVD is for. Also, to everyone who is considering checking out Kon's stuff: do it! My two favorites are Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, but as you can see from this thread everyone has different preferences. The point is that the guy is doing some very important work and deserves all the attention he can get.

And on a note somewhat related to Paprika, there's another anime film out in the wild based on another book by the guy who wrote the original Paprika novel. It's called Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6733) (it's been presented in English as The Girl Who Leaped Through Time), and it is excellent beyond all reasoning. I'm sure it'll get a an American DVD release at some point, and when it does you must grab it. You will not be disappointed.

tungwene
06-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd say Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers are my two favorite Satoshi Kon movies. I'm pretty psyched for The Girl Who Leaped Through Time as well (and the new Kino no Tabi movie in an even more unrelated tangent).

Figure Four
06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I was a bit weirded out when my Dad asked if I wanted to see Paprika with him: My Dad likes anime but his tastes tend to be a bit more mainstream than the works of Satoshi Kon.

I enjoyed myself immensely and am going to get the soundtrack as soon as I can.

SPOILERS

Am I the only one who was genuinely touched by the relationship between Tokita and Chiba? The flashback to the elevator scene had me getting all misty eyed.

Excitemike
06-10-2007, 11:22 PM
OMG is that a Japanese J. Jonah Jameson!?

Still playing in NYC. Maybe I'll check this out.

SDMX
06-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm a hard-assed West Coast talking time thug. Where's it playing, and for how long?

You're also lazy. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/somniamagus/SA-emotes/emot-v.gif Fandango info for SF. (http://www.fandango.com/paprika_100221/movietimes?location=San+Francisco%2c+CA&date=6/8/2007)

You should come up and see it with Shivam, Inna and I, considering I've teased the poor brown bastard with the concept like 3 times now before flaking out to afternoon nappery.

djSyndrome
06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
You're also lazy. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/somniamagus/SA-emotes/emot-v.gif Fandango info for SF. (http://www.fandango.com/paprika_100221/movietimes?location=San+Francisco%2c+CA&date=6/8/2007)

You should come up and see it with Shivam, Inna and I, considering I've teased the poor brown bastard with the concept like 3 times now before flaking out to afternoon nappery.

Fandango only has it listed through Thursday, so I'm guessing that's the last day it's playing.

SDMX
06-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I think that's just how far ahead Fandango allows you to purchase tickets, since if the last day was thursay, that would put the film the Berkeley Theatre for... 4 days total.

But we'll find out tomorrow, won't we?

Chu
06-11-2007, 06:07 PM
SPOILERS

Am I the only one who was genuinely touched by the relationship between Tokita and Chiba? The flashback to the elevator scene had me getting all misty eyed.

That twist certainly took me by surprise. I thought it was cute.

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Ooh, thanks for reminding me of this. I saw a preview for it at a theater here, so hopefully it will be in SLC soon.

chocogaz
06-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I've watched it about 17 minutes in. I can at least say those 17 minutes was an absolute treat for the eyes.

Couldn't tell you anything else.

Thinaran
06-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Bah, why does it have to have a run in US theatres? It's just delaying the DVD release!

I've bought and utterly loved every previous Kon production, so I guess I'll give Paprika a chance!

Peach
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Love Kon's stuff. I ought to watch Tokyo Godfathers again, but I feel that I have to wait till Christmas.

Loki
06-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I think I liked Tokyo Godfathers a little bit more. Paprika was good but when the wierd butterfly rape scene and then the giant naked lady were on screen I was a little embarsed to be there with non anime initiated friends.

I turned to them and said "Yup, we're watching an animes."

Tokyo Godfathers was more grounded in reality, rather than anime reality. If you know what I mean.

Chu
06-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Paprika was good but when the wierd butterfly rape scene and then the giant naked lady were on screen I was a little embarsed to be there with non anime initiated friends.

I turned to them and said "Yup, we're watching an animes.".

Don't you hate it when that happens? It can be hard to find an anime that'll appeal to non-anime fans who already know when to roll their eyes and go, "Oh, those silly Japanese animators!"

Not impossible, but it can be a pain when you're trying to get someone into a series you like only to have it be really awkward when there's some strange, unnecessary fanservice thrown into the mix.

j00ey
06-20-2007, 01:31 AM
I've watched it about 17 minutes in. I can at least say those 17 minutes was an absolute treat for the eyes.

Couldn't tell you anything else.
resume your torrent and watch the rest

djSyndrome
06-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey, this is still playing in SF! Is it subtitled or dubbed?

Calorie Mate
06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Is it playing in Berkeley still? That's downright close to me...but hey, I guess I could catch it after work sometime in SF, too.

I've been meaning to watch this guy's stuff, and I do enjoy watching things in theatres. Should be fun, if I get off my ass and do it.

djSyndrome
06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
So how much is 25 Euros (http://www.amazon.fr/Paprika-Blu-ray-Megumi-Hayashibara/dp/B000PFU8UW/ref=sr_1_16/403-7912745-8660462?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1182883371&sr=8-16) to us Yankees nowdays?

SDMX
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Berkeley theater is subtitled. 9 bucks, I think.

DOOO IT.

djSyndrome
06-26-2007, 03:15 PM

DOOO IT.

I've love to, but I'm sans babysitting for the next three weekends, hence why I'm considering just buying the damn thing.

mr_bungle700
06-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Buy it. It's good. 25 euros is like eight million dollars though.

(It's actually about $33.50.)

Calorie Mate
06-27-2007, 11:10 AM

DOOO IT.

Excellent.

djSyndrome
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Excellent.

Friday is the last day it's playing in Berkeley. It's playing in SF through at least next Thursday (the 5th).

Red Hedgehog
06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I just wish it would get to Salt Lake City already.

Stupid smaller markets getting "art" films later...