PDA

View Full Version : The Nostalgic Masturbation Thread

ProfessorS
06-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Post a random, nostalgic, gaming related memory. Yes, there is no point to this. My mind-numbing summer job has given me lots of time to do things like reminisce about my past.

I remember that Mortal Kombat II came out for consoles right around my 10th birthday. I was having a big party that year with about a dozen of my friends. Honestly, it was the apex of my popularity in school that I would not regain until late high school. I didn't want MKII for my birthday(I wanted Secret of Mana), but I realized having MKII would make a pretty bitchin party. So I managed to rent it before my party and I got my friend who owned a Genesis and MK II to bring his version over. When my party started, it was amazing. 12 kids in a room, playing Mortal Kombat II on two screens and fighting over a Gamepro which had the moves list. It was amazing and it triggered some sort of bloodlust in all of us because we all went in the backyard and started wrestling with each other. Some parents showed and were shocked.

I got Secret of Mana, a Super Game Boy and a Nerf Ballzooka. Best. Birthday. Evar.

Parish
06-10-2007, 10:03 AM
And here I thought this thread was going to be about the time you freeze-framed the uncensored Street Fighter II movie and did some hands-on appreciation of Chun-Li's shower scene.

Kishi
06-10-2007, 10:13 AM
It was amazing and it triggered some sort of bloodlust in all of us because we all went in the backyard and started wrestling with each other.

Uhhhhh.

alexb
06-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Okay, here's one. Back when I was maybe 11, I got chicken pox. I had rented Star Fox just before the symptoms had shown up. I was tired as all fuck and it hurt to press on the controller hard enough to move the ship around. But I still played.

shivam
06-10-2007, 10:52 AM
i remember when i was a kid, and i'd get nintendo power and pore over the Link to the Past story comics like they were holy gospel. man, getting that magazine each month was like the highlight of that month. My parents didnt get me games, you see, and let me rent but rarely. Pretty much the entire super nintendo era i played through those articles and comics and strategy guides.

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 11:57 AM
A couple for me:

I remember playing Donkey Kong and DK Jr. on ColecoVision with my dad and my brothers on Saturday nights when I was a kid. Everybody got a turn, but I was better at it, so mine lasted longer. So, I got fewer turns to play. At first it was 1 turn for me to every 2 for everyone else, then 1 to 3, eventually 1 to 5 by the time I could run through all the levels in DK Jr. four times on one life.

Playing, and beating, my friend's Japanese copies of Sword of Vermillion and Super Monaco GP on another friend's Genesis. Two great games, made even more fun by trying to figure out WTF was going on.

My daughter playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater at 6 months of age, and scoring 10,000 on a run. My wife's best score was 2,000.

VsRobot
06-10-2007, 12:45 PM
The day I beat the original Legend of Zelda still stands as my best video game memory ever. I was never good enough to beat a lot of games (and I'm still not) but I managed to musclefuck my way to the end of that one by sheer force of will.

thomp538
06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
i remember when i was a kid, and i'd get nintendo power and pore over the Link to the Past story comics like they were holy gospel. man, getting that magazine each month was like the highlight of that month. My parents didnt get me games, you see, and let me rent but rarely. Pretty much the entire super nintendo era i played through those articles and comics and strategy guides.
Do you remember they had like 2 preview features of the game in issues leading up to the release? I must have pored over each of them like 100 times. Damn that was probably my most anticipated game.

Least anticipated would have to be Final Fantasy III. By then I had let my subscription to NP run out so I had no idea the game was even in existence. I used to run by Target on the way back from my paper route and looking through the games, "WTF Final Fantasy III", I had to go home, piece together what little money I had saved up and buy it that day.

Lumber Baron
06-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I played World Series Baseball on my Game Gear over a hundred times when I was a kid and never managed to squeak out a win.

I went back when I was 16 and won on my first try by 10 runs.

Good lord I sucked at video games as a kid.

Thinaran
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Least anticipated would have to be Final Fantasy III.
Norway also got a version of Nintendo Power, and the articles and reviews I read and reread the most were the ones about RPGs. I had never played a JRPG (I had a Sega Master System), and they just looked so cool, with stories unheard of in any of the games I'd played. Especially one called Final Fantasy III. An epic story about love, betrayal, an evil empire, a crazy clown, and it a huge cast of characters. Of course, the game would never be released in Europe because of the amount of text they would have to translate into the usual European languages. For a while I hated Germany more than the jews did.

And some years later I discovered SNES emulation ... Finally being able to play FFIII is probably one of my most cherished videogame memories.

Another one is being able to convince my parents into borrowing their credit card to order Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, after reading about the sweet limited edition on The GIA, and seeing the ad in EGM which said there'd be a very limited pressing of the game.

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I was using this experience as my signature on another forum for several years, and only just recently changed it. Back when I was a kid, my parents would have the usual cup of coffee in the morning to wake themselves up, and I would perk myself up with a round or two of Ms. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600. I always thought I got the better end of that deal, because while they were torturing their tongues with the bitter juice of roasted beans, I was waking up and having all kinds of fun doing it.

Another great experience was when I just graduated high school and was starting to collect 2600 games in earnest. It was the early 1990's, and Tramiel's stock of games for the system were being liquidated in dollar stores. You just can't beat taking home a sealed copy of Solaris and Midnight Magic home for a buck apiece, I tells 'ya!

JR

Makkara
06-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I actually had my SNES modded just to play Final Fantasy III. It turned out to be the only non-PAL game I ever bought for the SNES. By the time Chrono Trigger was released, I was already hungrily eyeing the PlayStation, and couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a single game.

thomp538
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I actually had my SNES modded just to play Final Fantasy III. It turned out to be the only non-PAL game I ever bought for the SNES. By the time Chrono Trigger was released, I was already hungrily eyeing the PlayStation, and couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a single game.
$90 with tax at Babbages for Chrono Trigger

Tomm Guycot
06-10-2007, 02:51 PM
When I was about 9, I had to get 12 of my teeth pulled (some of them from underneath other teeth, through the gums). It was entirely unpleasant, and midway through the surgery, my anesthetic wore off and I could feel the drill.

But I knew it was all worth it because my mom was going to let me rent Dragon Warrior on the way home.

Parish
06-10-2007, 02:53 PM
$90 with tax at Babbages for Chrono Trigger
For me too... except I traded in FFIII to bring down the cost. What a fool I was!

My least anticipated amazing game would be either Super Metroid (didn't know about it until it had already been released) or GTA III (which I assumed would suck until I actually, you know, played it).

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
When I was about 9, I had to get 12 of my teeth pulled (some of them from underneath other teeth, through the gums). It was entirely unpleasant, and midway through the surgery, my anesthetic wore off and I could feel the drill.

But I knew it was all worth it because my mom was going to let me rent Dragon Warrior on the way home.

You went through THAT and only got a rental?

You had a sad childhood.

I got a severe eye infection in grade 8, and my dad bought me SMB 2 and Zelda 2 to keep me occupied while I was under quarantine. I probably would have been able to get my own Neo Geo if the dental mishap had happened to me.

alexb
06-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Tomm, sorry to hear about the teeth thing. But it reminded me of my own little Dragon Warrior saga. It was about 1992 or so, I believe. All of a sudden, I got a bug up my ass to play Dragon Warrior. I played it back when it was first released at a friend's house, but I had been too young at the time to really understand and enjoy it. However, now that I had FF2 under my belt, I felt I needed to back up and play DW. So I ended up calling every pawn shop in town. One of the last places I called had a copy. I think I paid $25 for it. It was loose without the manual and whoever owned it last had written their name on the back in permanent marker. It was a good experience.

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 03:08 PM
You went through THAT and only got a rental?

And a rental of Dragon Warrior, even! Wow, you must have been really easy to buy off when you were a kid.

"Hey, I'll give you a quarter if you stick your hand in that nest of bees!"

JR

nadia
06-10-2007, 03:10 PM
The day before I was supposed to buy Star Fox, I sliced my thumb to the bone and needed six stitches. I still played the game, and man did it hurt. I smiled through the pain.

Guy
06-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I used to play Mortal Kombat II with my mom and she would win by spamming that same goddamn teleporting uppercut with Mileena.

shivam
06-10-2007, 03:16 PM
dragon warrior 1 is still one of my favorite games, even though it holds up today as well as (some really lame pop culture reference that doesnt hold up today at all).

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 03:18 PM
dragon warrior 1 is still one of my favorite games, even though it holds up today as well as (some really lame pop culture reference that doesnt hold up today at all).

Watch an episode of Family Guy... one will come to you right away.

JR

Torgo
06-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I would if the show didn't make me want to vomit.

Oh... you were talking to shivam. My bad.

Eusis
06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Man, I just can't give a crap about Family Guy anymore. Really liked it in the past, but as it is now? Eh.

For some reason eating this flavored rice stuff when I was about 7 and playing Soul Blazer /really/ stuck to me. It was during the scene when a good number of the animals in the second world were liberated and made a feast for the hero. Whenever I see that, I keep thinking they're eating that rice stuff, even if logically it's probably just random fruit and crap.

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 03:44 PM
That would be a great name for a cereal, Random Fruit and Crap!

Savathun
06-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, one time when I was really little, I was on vacation with my parents and we stopped in some random town and looked at the Toys 'R' Us and saw this cool Tiger handheld version of Megaman 2 which I lusted after. My mom said "Oh, well, we'll get this for you, but first let's go see a movie."

We went and saw City Slickers.

It felt like the longest, most painful movie ever.

Then I ended up losing the game a week later, right as I was getting to the dragon boss fight.

That still kind of bothers me.

Guy
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Anything that can prevent you from enjoying City Slickers is an evil thing indeed.

Eusis
06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
You can't say Megaman's evil! He fights for ever lasting peace!

alexb
06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
That's a typo. In reality, he simply fights everlasting peace.

Peach
06-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I remember playing Tie-Fighter on a PC that would occasionally quit the game to perform system-cleanup software. I would anxiously wait for the operation to finish before booting up the game, ready to once again take to the stars. It was a time of innocence (not realizing that I could probably solve this problem permanently) and elation (from playing such an awesome game).

Tomm Guycot
06-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I guess my parents just figured they had just paid for expensive orthodontic surgery, maybe shelling out the cash for Neo Geo wouldn't have been a bright idea.

That's why today I don't pirate games or troll messageboards.
(good natured teasing)
(kind of)
(...or was it?)

I remember for my tenth birthday, my parents bought me Ikari Warriors II because "We see you and (best friend) playing this all the time, so now you can play it no matter WHOSE house you're at!"

Oh boy... Ikari Warriors II...

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, I have always been very poor. I wasn't as lucky as you guys have been. But I love videogames. So, I became thief.

My parents did buy a NES for me, when I was in 4th grade. And I loved it. I had some neighbours who felt pity for me only having Super Mario Bros. and they always shared their games with me. And in exchange I taught them how to make slingshots and I showed them the local sewers (dead body story and all, very Tom Sawyer-ish).

All my gaming during the Genesis/SNES era was provided thanks to the wonderful art of being a wasted youth. I became a thief. The first time I saw a Genesis running Altered Beast and Thunder Force II at a JC Penny. I had to have it.

Anyway, I'm still not particularly rich. That's why I pirate a lot. But whenever I have the money I do buy video games. Even ones I already have pirated and know that its creators really deserve my money (For example, I have purchased 4 copies of Ocarina of Time, 3 of them still wrapped).

Stephen
06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Are you a theif? Really a theif? Like a theif for real? Cause I just want to be sure. Also, your logic is somewhat questionable--I pirate lots of games because I'm poor, but I bought 4 copies of one game for some inexplicable reason!

On topic: Man, there's nothing like the rose tinted Kleenex of nostalgia.

liquid
06-10-2007, 07:00 PM
This one's a bit more recent than most of yours, but after borrowing Final Fantasy VII from a friend and sort of rushing through it, I finally got to Sephiroth. After about twenty minutes or so of having my characters one-hit KOed every other turn, whatever goodwill I had left for the game had pretty much been used up. Finally I got to the point where Cloud and Yuffie were dead, Tifa had been knocked down to 1 HP, and I was pissed that I was going to have to do the entire final area all over again. So I decided to get it the hell over with and pressed attack instead of healing anybody. And he died.

A shitty gaming experience vindicated by the turnaround of the fucking century.

Other fond memories: Co-op Area 51 and King of the Monsters 2 with my friend at the pizza factory downtown; endlessly playing Thexder at my aunt and uncle's house when I was younger and they hadn't popped out all their kids; backseat driving while my friend played Might and Magic 2 back when my age was in single digits.

estragon
06-10-2007, 07:03 PM
That's why I pirate a lot. But whenever I have the money I do buy video games. Even ones I already have pirated and know that its creators really deserve my money (For example, I have purchased 4 copies of Ocarina of Time, 3 of them still wrapped).

So . . . Why didn't you buy 1 copy of Ocarina of Time and 3 other games? I'm really confused by this. It seems like it would be pretty silly to buy 3 mint-in-box copies of a game you already own if you don't have a lot of money.

Is there some way that buying 4 copies of one game makes you feel less bad about pirating it the first time? That doesn't make sense either though, because if you're pirating games there's probably more companies than just Nintendo that you owe some money/karma to.

I don't understand.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh, well, by the N64 era I already had a job.

And, for the N64. Well. there wasn't much I could buy. Plus, I didn't buy all 4 back then or at the same time. And Ocarina of Time deserves my money. All of it.

Squall
06-10-2007, 07:12 PM
So . . . Why didn't you buy 1 copy of Ocarina of Time and 3 other games? I'm really confused by this.

Or maybe like, a car or food or something. When I'm totally broke, I usually don't think of buying games. That's more of a luxury item for me.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, now I do have a home and a car and all that stuff. And I also buy games. I mean, jesus people, if it's worth it I'll buy it. I think I left that pretty clear the first time around.

Piracy is good. Imagine, for example, the people who did not like Odin Sphere after they read some hype about it from someone who liked it. Imagine if you guys had pirated it first just to check it out. It's not that hard, just a DVD burner and an internet connection (and a moded PS2, but that's useful for many other things). If you like it, buy it. It's nice to have the instruction manual and the smell of "new stuff".

I think that in the future with services like gametap maybe piracy could be unnecessary, you pay a monthly fee to play all the games you want. Awesome idea. But so far, gametap says it's not available in my country. But I think the future relies on flat monthly fees and not on wii points or whatever.

alexb
06-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Guys. We're doing it again.

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, let's not pirate-jack another thread. How 'bout we create a thread devoted exclusively to that topic?

JR

Stephen
06-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I have the most nostalgia for the aforementioned Chrono Trigger. I remember getting it for my fourteenth birthday--the price ($70+ tax) meant it was the only gift I received that year. I popped in and had to literally be dragged away from the TV by my mom. It was so gripping, I was ignoring the friends I'd invited to my party. The digitized sound of Leene's Bell literally brings a tear to my eye these days and I feel that "The Corridors of Time" is one of the world's all-time great 'chills' songs. It's beautiful, but it exerts an unbelievable pressure that sums up the delicate balance of the floating continent.

alexb
06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Since CT stories are popular today... My dad had promised to buy Chrono Trigger for me. We were going to go get it the next week when my dad got paid or something. Anyway, I saw it at the video store that night. I never get that lucky. Somebody else always had Secret of Mana or FF2 out. But this time, I must have been the first one to check it out. So, over the weekend, I played it all the way to the point that you're doing subquests before going into the Black Omen. I specifically remember getting to the part where you have to rebuild the castle to free the spirit of Cyrus before I took it back. And then, next week, we went and bought the game and I played it again from scratch. I never once felt bored working my way back through the game. Can you say that about most games released these days?

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, one time when I was really little, I was on vacation with my parents and we stopped in some random town and looked at the Toys 'R' Us and saw this cool Tiger handheld version of Megaman 2 which I lusted after. My mom said "Oh, well, we'll get this for you, but first let's go see a movie."

We went and saw City Slickers.

It felt like the longest, most painful movie ever.

Then I ended up losing the game a week later, right as I was getting to the dragon boss fight.

That still kind of bothers me.

Wow, this is really close to an experience I had, except I was torn from the bosom of the most perfect early 80's arcade ever and forced to watch S.H.I.T... er, E.T. Twenty five years later, all the arcades have vanished, yet E.T. still remains. Life can be so unfair!

JR

openedsource
06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
On topic: Man, there's nothing like the rose tinted Kleenex of nostalgia.

You should really get that checked out.

(I assume we're still talking about uncensored Street Fighter anime)

I used to get Intellivision games for dentist visits. I guess there's a bit of flawed parental logic that works in Tomm's favor there. "Wait, you mean I can eat lots of candy, get cavities, go to the dentist and get games? Candy and games?"

I guess the key factor here in retrospect is a paralyzing fear of the dentist.

Every now and again I would get a Game & Watch game instead.

Stephen
06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Can you say that about most games released these days?

Man, you can't even say that about most games released in those days.

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 08:25 PM
You should really get that checked out.

(I assume we're still talking about uncensored Street Fighter anime)

I used to get Intellivision games for dentist visits. I guess there's a bit of flawed parental logic that works in Tomm's favor there. "Wait, you mean I can eat lots of candy, get cavities, go to the dentist and get games? Candy and games?"

I guess the key factor here in retrospect is a paralyzing fear of the dentist.

Every now and again I would get a Game & Watch game instead.

I never really hated the dentist. I'm not even sure why... I guess I had a really good one. Either that or I understood from an early age that what he did was important. It certainly helped that all my teeth grew in straight... the only major dental surgeries I've ever had were some fillings and the usual wisdom teeth extraction.

Of course, I could understand a fear of the dentist if you were given Intellivision games like Donkey Kong or Vectron as a "reward". Phew!

JR

dangerhelvetica
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM
At the same time X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter I came down with a strange illness that caused virtually every joint in my body to ache whenever I moved it. It was like early onset arthritis.

But by God, I played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter that week. It was glorious.

You know, there are an awful lot of posts here that have to do with pain/illness. Wonder if there's a strange S&M element to video game nostalgia?

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that parents bribe their kids to do things they don't want with things they DO want. There's always a consequence to that style of behavior modification, though... you associate food with pleasure, and you become overweight as an adult. You associate games with pleasure, and you turn into geeks like us!

JR

Jeanie
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
So the other day I went down into my basement to dig through my boxes (and boxes and boxes...) of old magazines and comics to find my well-worn copy of the NP Final Fantasy III Strategy Guide to use for my new copy of FFVI Advance when I found my copy of the NP Chrono Trigger Guide. I stopped to flip through it for a min and thought about the good times.

Say what you want about Nintendo Power and them being just a marketing shill but they made a damn fine guide to a lot of games. I wish Prima made guides that good. After the whole FFIX guide debacle, I gave up on them, plus at about the same time I had a greater access to the internet and said "why buy the cow when I can get the cow for free."

Tomm Guycot
06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
A shitty gaming experience vindicated by the turnaround of the fucking century.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him in the original Final Fantasy, with a white mage attacking WarMech after the rest of the party had died. Those last 2 HP were all it took...

Thing is, he knew his chances of beating WarMech were infentisimal, so he'd already pressed in the Reset button. If he relaxed his finger at all, the NES would reset and the greatest video game feat of all time would vanish...

He got all the way back to Corneria one-handed.

Torgo
06-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Ooo, narrow victories. My turn.

The game? Suikoden II. The scene? The final fight against Lucia in L'Renouille. I had the hero equipped with one rune or another that gave him some seemingly insignificant amount of healing, ten or fifteen hp. Something like that. My friends derided me, "No way that can make a difference."

Too bad for them that Lucia pelted my entire party, leaving only my hero alive because of that 'insignificant' amount of healing. The next attack finished her off.

Absolutely satisfying.

Another good Suikoden II moment while I'm on it. I love the game's experience curve. On a lark I once took Hix into a battle, and I think he was a good twenty or thirty levels behind. In one fight, just one, he jumped not only up to my main party's level but about fifteen exp. past my highest leveled character.

alexb
06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, you should know better than to underestimate Hix.

blitzchamp
06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
The day I got my Playstation 2. It was my 13th birthday and I was supposed to get a Playstation 2 (at least it was at the top of my list). My parents lied to me and told me I wasn't going to get it. Then after about two hours of me in a horrible, bad mood they told me I was going to get my Uncle's Playstation 2 instead. I went from bad mood, to okay. Then I got down to the car and they gave me the used Playstation 2 with some crappy games like Kessen and Summoner.

I went upstairs slightly satisfied. When I got back to my room a BRAND new Playstation 2 awaited me in my room, and next to it was Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X. Commence excitement and jumping up and down on a second floor apartment, the people downstairs must have been pissed. I also got like $240 which led me to Gamestop that night to buy FFVII, Dragon Warrior VII, and the first Metal Gear Solid, some of my favorite games ever. IF it wasn't for Dragon Warrior VII I may have never come to love the series (though its the only version I have beat so far).

Its great to look back...

Squall
06-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Bah, you people and your supportive parents. Mine bought my brother and I an NES and the original Gameboy on different Christmasas, All other consoles were with our own money. Granted, we only bought the SNES before we were old enough for jobs, but that still took lots of saving up, and it was ages before we had a game aside from Mario.

I've got tons of great gaming memories tucked away into forgotten corners, so no stories from me yet. But I do remember getting Secret of Mana for christmas, and it has ever since been glorious. I think I got Chrono Trigger on Christmas, too, but oddly that memory hasn't stuck as well.

Torgo
06-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Kessen might be lacking next to it's successors, but its definitely not awful.

(Well... the voice acting is, but b-movie voice acting is something you learn to roll with and enjoy as a Koei fan.)

Tomm Guycot
06-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Bah, you people and your supportive parents. Mine bought my brother and I an NES and the original Gameboy on different Christmasas, All other consoles were with our own money. Granted, we only bought the SNES before we were old enough for jobs, but that still took lots of saving up, and it was ages before we had a game aside from Mario.

This is pretty much how my parents were too. They actually got a bad rap from my grandparents for "spoiling Tomm with all those video games" even though the only consoles they ever bought me were NES and GameBoy (Christmas), and I only got games from them on Birthday's, Christmas, or if I got straight A's on a report card.

Instead of spoiling me, they were teaching me the value of money. I promptly learned that the value of money = more gamez dood!

There's a lesson that has stuck through to adulthood.

Torgo
06-10-2007, 11:20 PM
My parents had a stance similar to Tomm's and Squall's. Except for making an exception for a GBA in '02, the NES was the last piece of hardware they purchased. Games were usually birthdays, Christmas, and any spare change I could scrounge up for keeping up in school or whatever. (I never had an allowance growing up, so they made it up for usually throwing five or ten bucks my way when I asked, a system I was careful never to abuse or take advantage of.)

I can appreciate the irony that these days I usually get them games as gifts. Games that they ask for. Oh, and that GBA? That's pretty much theirs since I got my DS.

Squall
06-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I will admit that my parents did buy an Atari 2600, but I don't know if they bought it before or after I was born. I would assume they bought it for my brother maybe, I dunno. That's a story I've always wondered.

Tomm Guycot
06-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I will admit that my parents did buy an Atari 2600, but I don't know if they bought it before or after I was born. I would assume they bought it for my brother maybe, I dunno. That's a story I've always wondered.

Seriously Squall--is your name Tomm and do you work for Konami!?

This is freaking me out.

Squall
06-11-2007, 12:02 AM
The really scary part? I didn't really enjoy Halo.

spineshark
06-11-2007, 12:55 AM
I want to get in on a freaky TRIPLE coincidence. We had a 2600 since I was small or not born yet too! And my parents would never buy me games! And I don't like Halo either!

The only game I really had growing up was Lemmings...and later, Lemmings 2. My brother and I beat the game (only barely, practically all our tribes had less than three Lemmings when we finished, but I blame him...we were probably six and eight at the time anyway) but what we really loved was Practice Mode. I think my favorite was to go onto the Medieval level, down to the bottom where the catapult was so the floor wouldn't accidentally explode on me, then repeatedly start a concert with the Musician Lemming job...

At which point I would keep one Lemming off to the side for the purposes of sabotaging that shit with a Bazooka or Mortar. Or sometimes I would just tell the performer to explode, which he would dutifully do five seconds later.

Also, hang gliding off of the sphinx at the very top of the Egyptian practice mode level was the bomb. And the Polar level had an amazing trap that sadly went unused into the game.

Also: that FF1 story is one of the most hilarious and awesome things I've ever heard. Random impossible victory: badass. Saving before letting go of the reset button because you already pressed it...impossibly badass.

locit
06-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Playing Lemmings during computer class after finishing our stupid typing drills early.

Playing the first Sonic in Toys R Us moments before deciding which console to buy and having my mind made up for me.

Playing Sonic 3 before its release (in Toys R Us agian) and thinking how awesome the first level was.

Watching the Sonic and Knuckles MTV Alcatraz special. It was so stupid. And I loved it.

Playing Sonic Adventure months before the American Dreamcast launch in a local EBX and being amazed at Emerald Coast. It was Sonic... in 3D!

Discs 1-4 of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Squall
06-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I would have to really agree with Panzer Dragoon, except it was Zwei that makes me all teary-eyed. I first played the game at a Toys R Us, and it was the most amazing thing ever. The emotions that game delivers without any actual story is surreal, especially for the time. Such a strong sense of solitude, and the feeling of going up against the giant warship at the end... It was so meloncholy.

openedsource
06-11-2007, 04:00 AM
You know, there are an awful lot of posts here that have to do with pain/illness. Wonder if there's a strange S&M element to video game nostalgia?

There certainly is an S&M element to some of those classic games we endured.

nadia
06-11-2007, 06:07 AM
I had to pay for my own copy of Final Fantasy III (of the VI variety), but my dad picked it up for me because I was busy learning how to poke contact lenses into my eyes.

The game was close to a hundred bucks, actually. My dad made up the difference.

Store clerk: "This game must be for a very special person."

My dad: "Nah."

Balrog
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I got my SNES for christmas one year and my brother was getting married on New Year's Day after that. So my family had to travel from Oklahoma to Maryland by car. Anyway, my mom told me to pack everything I needed because we were going to be gone a week. I will never forget the look on her face when she came back to check on me and the only thing I had packed my new SNES and a box of Captain Crunch. My brothers still give me a hard time about this.

Torgo
06-11-2007, 09:12 AM
I will never forget the look on her face when she came back to check on me and the only thing I had packed my new SNES and a box of Cap'n Crunch.
Fix'd. These sorts of errors are unacceptable.

ArugulaZ
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I will never forget the look on her face when she came back to check on me and the only thing I had packed my new SNES and a box of Captain Crunch.

Now I'm hungry for cereal! And nostalgic for my grandfather, who sounded like Cap'n Crunch.

JR

Balrog
06-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Fix'd. These sorts of errors are unacceptable.

My bad. (Puts out hand, ready for slappin'.)

Torgo
06-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I'll let you go with a warning this time.

Squall
06-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, seriously, why would the Cap'n be so important? I could live off energys from my SNES for a month if the need arose. I got FF3 with my own cash, too. I was saving that up for ages. Didn't buy anything through a Christmas or a Birthday, and every other spare change I could scrounge up.

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Kessen might be lacking next to it's successors, but its definitely not awful.

(Well... the voice acting is, but b-movie voice acting is something you learn to roll with and enjoy as a Koei fan.)

Yah you're right. It shouldn't be classified next to Summoner.

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
My parents had a stance similar to Tomm's and Squall's. Except for making an exception for a GBA in '02, the NES was the last piece of hardware they purchased. Games were usually birthdays, Christmas, and any spare change I could scrounge up for keeping up in school or whatever. (I never had an allowance growing up, so they made it up for usually throwing five or ten bucks my way when I asked, a system I was careful never to abuse or take advantage of.)

I can appreciate the irony that these days I usually get them games as gifts. Games that they ask for. Oh, and that GBA? That's pretty much theirs since I got my DS.

Yah I mostly got games for Bdays and Holidays, but my Dad spoiled me as a child so we used to take trips to Toys R Us like every other week for a new game back then. Miss those days...

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Playing Lemmings during computer class after finishing our stupid typing drills early.

Playing the first Sonic in Toys R Us moments before deciding which console to buy and having my mind made up for me.

Playing Sonic 3 before its release (in Toys R Us agian) and thinking how awesome the first level was.

Watching the Sonic and Knuckles MTV Alcatraz special. It was so stupid. And I loved it.

Playing Sonic Adventure months before the American Dreamcast launch in a local EBX and being amazed at Emerald Coast. It was Sonic... in 3D!

Discs 1-4 of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I'm guessing you're a big Sonic fan. I actually like Sonic R even though most people say it really sucked. IT was just unique and the music was pretty 90s too. I didn't play Sonic 3 until it came to Blockbuster, and man the first time I got Sonic Adventure and aced the first level on Christmas that year, it was great.

Healy
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I remember my brother renting Chrono Trigger sometime around his birthday. He played that game so much during that time. I actually remember him restarting a lot for some reason, but that may just be my memory. I think he got to the part right after you visit Medina Village for the first time before he had to take it back. After that, he only ever rented once, and that was when I was off at camp. All in all, that short period of time in which I actually got to see Chrono Trigger in action may have impacted my opinion of it today.

Kishi
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
The first time I ever seriously fought Emerald Weapon, I didn't know any of the tricks, so I just stuck it out with brute force--Knights of Round, Limit Breaks, and maybe a little Ultima. It worked to a point, but in the end, it just wasn't enough, and he had all but laid my party to waste.

I had no MP, and two of my three party members were dead. It would take at least two rounds to revive and heal just one of them, and with the last standing member at low health, I didn't have that kind of leeway. His next attack would mean death, so it would have to come down to one final decisive action. And the best thing I had left up my sleeve was...Cait Sith's stupid, useless Slot technique.

The slots spun and came up--three crowns. "Toy Soldier." A line of knee-height troops dressed in orange appeared between my battered heroes and the beast, looking just as ridiculous as my chances at that point. There, they marched forward a few steps, pointed their piddly little rifles at this dread behemoth of the murky depths, and fired. I think it did about a thousand points of damage.

And it killed him.

jeditanuki
06-11-2007, 02:08 PM
* My first all-nighters were spent on the C-64, playing usually old Epyx games (woo Summer Games mega-events...Crush, Crumble and Chomp...Jumpman...etc)

* I was the first person in my middle school to beat Karateka (and to this day, I never walk toward my girlfriend in attack position).

* I owe my present career to LucasArts:
- I bought X-wing before I even had a PC. Learned to use it to play it
- Bought my first RAM upgrades and learned to install them to play Dark Forces
- Bought my first CD-ROM and learned how to install it to play Rebel Assault
- Bought my Monster 3DFX card and learned how to install it to play Jedi Knight

thomp538
06-11-2007, 02:34 PM
All the cool kids had a 2600, I got an Odyssey2 from my grandparents. The plus side is they bought a TON of games with it. I had the voice and everything.

locit
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I actually like Sonic R even though most people say it really sucked. IT was just unique and the music was pretty 90s too.

Can't you feel the sunshine? Does it brighten up your day?

Eusis
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I, err, also had an Atari 2600 gotten around my birth. Except I seem to recall being told it was bought before I was actually born, so that ambiguity's not there. I also got a bunch of games and systems, and merely think Halo's grotesquely overrated, but still decent, so that stops it from being a quadruple coincidence!

Also, I thought Sonic R was a lot of stupid fun too, even though it had some pretty crummy control and about 4 tracks. The music's also classic.

alexb
06-11-2007, 04:03 PM
And how about that motorized, stuffed Tails doll you could race with?

Savathun
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I still have really fond memories of renting Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time, and skipping school that day so I could play it non-stop, well into the night.

Then the next day, me a hundred other people played capture the flag in the park where we usually hold the balloon festival.

Good times.

ArugulaZ
06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
All the cool kids had a 2600, I got an Odyssey2 from my grandparents. The plus side is they bought a TON of games with it. I had the voice and everything.

Holy crap, me too! All my friends and family had one... either the system was unusually popular in Michigan, or the retail stores were cutting prices to the quick in order to move units.

The Odyssey2 is one of those classic systems that needs nostalgia to keep its memory alive, because the hardware itself doesn't have much merit. All the games starred the same square-headed robots, and each release was a clone of a more popular video game, with a twist to the gameplay that works better in theory than in practice.

Case in point... UFO!, the Asteroids wannabee. Instead of being a slave to the whims of gravity and inertia, you have full control over your ship. However, the spacecraft's cannon wildly spins around it, so you can't really aim... you've got to tap the fire button as the cannon orbits into place. It gives the game a frustratingly random feel, as if you score was dependent on luck rather than skill.

Then there's Pick Axe Pete!, the system's de facto Donkey Kong clone. It looks cool, with a style that was retro even before other games from the early 1980's earned that title. However, the gameplay is a total mess. You've got to duck under and jump over boulders as they bounce toward you, but you're forced to do both actions with the same button, resulting in a lot of misread input and lost lives. Also, some aspects of the design seem to make sense only to the programmers. How do I get to the bottom of the screen without getting creamed by boulders? Why does the key vanish before I can reach it? Why am I not playing Donkey Kong instead?

On rare occasions, the twists are more Hitchcockian than Shymalian. KC Munchkin! has faster gameplay and sharper control than Pac-Man on the Atari 2600, and the dots that run away from you not only ramps up the challenge, it moves you up on the food chain, making you feel less helpless. That sense of being both the hunter and the hunted was further strengthened in the sequel, KC's Crazy Chase!. Here's the hook... there's a caterpillar roving through the maze. You've got to eat all the sections of the bug while staying clear of the poisonous head. The key is to nip at the neck, leaving the remaining sections up for grabs, but of course, that's the most risky part of the caterpillar's body to attack.

The Odyssey2 was at its best when it was at its most daring. If all of the games on the system had been as brilliant as Quest for the Rings!, or KC Munchkin!, or Conquest of the World!, or Smithereens!, it could have transcended the deficiencies of its hardware and been one of the better consoles of its generation. However, there were a few too many UFOs! and Pachinkos! in the software library for that to happen.

JR

thomp538
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
vaguely remembering some of the stuff you are talking about. The catterpillar in KC's Crazy Chase is ringing a bell and I seem to remember logging many an hour with pick axe pete. I never remember seeing games for it in the store, but I was so young then that I didn't really pay attention to much that was going on at the store. I finally dumped it when I saved all my nickles and dimes for a NES, I want to say in 86-87.

Someone actually brought an Odyssey2 into the office though with a few games. I just went over there and they have the full boxed quest for the rings and world conflict!

ArugulaZ
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Those board/video game hybrids are ingenious. I'm amazed it took this long for companies to revive the concept!

I've got a copy of The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt! somewhere in my collection, with all the pieces. Of course, it's not the entry in the Challenge Series that interests people, for obvious reasons. It's a lot more fun to battle Cthulthian nightmares or attempt world conquest than it is to gamble on the stock market... and NOT earn any money when that tiny little software company run by the nerdy redhead becomes a world leader in the electronics industry.

JR

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I never really hated the dentist. I'm not even sure why... I guess I had a really good one.

I've said this before, but the reason I never really hated the dentist was that he always had a couple of arcade games in his office on free play. To this day, I have fond memories of playing Q*Bert, Centipede, Donkey Kong Jr., Popeye and (later) Double Dragon at the dentist's office. And the mean dental assistants who made you stop playing when your name was called, no matter how well you were doing in Popeye.

One of my best nostalgic moments is the moment I finally beat level 1-2 of Kid Icarus. I had the game for about a month and had never been able to beat the second level. One morning, I had some time in between breakfast and when the van came to pick me up to go to day camp, so I popped it in, carefully and painstakingly put in my password to start at level 1-2 and started playing. For whatever reason, everything just clicked that morning and I finally got past the midpoint of the stage. I was trying to be as careful as I could and was actually shaking because I was so nervous and excited. Finally, the end of the level was in sight and I managed to make it through. I looked at the clock and the van was due at any moment, but I had to keep going on. I died pretty early on in level 1-3 and right at that point I heard the honk of the van. I remember frantically writing down the password as the van was honking and still hoping I was being careful enough not to get any letters wrong.

I credit that day as the day I "got" platformers. In not much time, I managed to get through level 1-3 of Kid Icarus and indeed the entire game. From learning the necessary skills to get through 1-2, I became good at platformers and was generally able to show up all my friends. Kid Icarus had to be my teacher since my parents had gotten me the deluxe NES set and I didn't have Super Mario Bros.

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Can't you feel the sunshine? Does it brighten up your day?

Haha. Yah like that song. =p

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 10:25 PM
And how about that motorized, stuffed Tails doll you could race with?

Oh yah! I liked the metal sonic or knuckles more, and the worst character has to be Amy...

Balrog
06-12-2007, 08:07 AM
I have fond memories of leaving consoles turned on over night because they didn't have a save function or the battery was broken. I'm smiling at you Landstalker with the screwed up battery.

Eusis
06-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Man, my Landstalker's battery is also screwed up. Except that was a used game from GameStop. And I never seriously did try to play it when I discovered it was broken. I think my Dragon Warrior battery was busted from the start though. I always would try to play it, save, turn it off... And my save was just missing.

shivam
06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
i remember fondly playing star control 2 with my best friend obsessively, until we lost the star map that came with the game and allowed bypassing hte copy protection test, which would give a set of coordinates, and have you fill in the star name.

of course, we'd played so much that we knew hte coordinates of a few stars, and we sat for hours trying them until it worked, at which point we loaded the game, and pretty much mapped out the entire galaxy.

god, that game is still one of hte best i've ever played.

Savathun
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Ah, that reminds me. It took me several months to get a memory card for my PS1. The whole notion of buying a card for memory was completely alien and silly to me, and I think I even took offense to it. So when we rented Tomb Raider, I had to replay through the Peru levels several times, and never got past St. Francis Folly.

nadia
06-12-2007, 04:21 PM
of course, we'd played so much that we knew hte coordinates of a few stars, and we sat for hours trying them until it worked, at which point we loaded the game, and pretty much mapped out the entire galaxy.

Holy crap! That damn map gave me eyestrain!

Torgo
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
i remember fondly playing star control 2 with my best friend obsessively, until we lost the star map that came with the game and allowed bypassing hte copy protection test, which would give a set of coordinates, and have you fill in the star name.

god, that game is still one of hte best i've ever played.
Just about anything Star Control related is good. Apparently Toys for Bob would like to make a proper sequel to SC2, but since they're owned by Activision now, they need to get the green light from them.

Alternatively, I'm gunning for the Genesis version of SC1 to appear on the VC one of these days.

nadia
06-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Star Control 2 is the one instance of a sci-fi book, game or movie where I maintain active interest--no, fascination--for the alien races.

Culture Sixteen ftw.

Daydreamer
06-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I'd have to give props to Lufia 2 - I spent a good 3 months playing it in the 10th grade. The fact that it was able to consistently challenge me with the games puzzles, even though I was a rather precociously overeducated 16 year old, will always stay will me.

PS Foomie FTW!

Squall
06-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Woot for Foomie, I think I rented that game 3 or 4 times. Almost as much as FF4.

Kirin
06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Star Control 2 is the one instance of a sci-fi book, game or movie where I maintain active interest--no, fascination--for the alien races.
Culture Sixteen ftw.

Yeah, the SC races pretty much win. I keep obsessively checking the Ur-Quan Masters remake page to see if any new Precursors remix themes are up.

A sequel by the original authors would pretty much make my decade.

nadia
06-14-2007, 03:11 PM
I also have to give credit to SC2 for possibly being the first game I played where "WE'RE ALL DOOMED IN A MATTER OF DAYS" turned out to be more than an empty, story-anchoring threat.

Squall
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM

I'd have to give Babylon 5 some credit for doing that, too. Narn & Centari are maybe even more interesting than the humans in that one.

Torgo
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I also have to give credit to SC2 for possibly being the first game I played where "WE'RE ALL DOOMED IN A MATTER OF DAYS" turned out to be more than an empty, story-anchoring threat.
A painful lesson that I learned first-hand.

shivam
06-14-2007, 05:06 PM
god, i remember the first time i waited too long, and the various racial spheres started disappearing off the map. To this day, i'm still absolutely terrified of the Kohr-ah.

nadia
06-14-2007, 06:34 PM
The Kor-Ah are absolutely badass. The Kzer-za voice actor kind of took it over the top, but the Kor-Ah's voices, theme "music" and sacrificial bone pits speak for themselves.

shivam
06-14-2007, 07:12 PM
the kohr ah theme just popped up on itunes, and its still the most dominantly evil martial theme ever. man.

Calorie Mate
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM

...What.

shivam
06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
the Ur Quan Kohr-Ah
http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/script/images/b/bc/Kohr-AhComm.png

not to be confused with their siblings, the Ur Quan Kzer-Za
http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/script/images/0/02/Kzer-ZaComm.png

seriously, download Star Control II (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/) for yourself and play the damn game if you havent yet. It's open sourced and legal, and entirely worth it.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
+1 that Star Control 2 is one of the awesomest games ever.

I find it interesting that my affections for certain races grew or diminished after playing the version with voices. For example: I liked the Melnorme, Orz, Utwig, and Slylandro better without voices. I liked the Druuge, Zoq Fot Pik, VUX, and Ilwrath better with them. The rest are the same, but hearing "Juffo Wup fills my fibers and I grow turgid. Violent action ensues." spoken let me down a bit. It just wasn't quite how I imagined it.

shivam
06-15-2007, 01:30 AM
the orz voice makes me *frumple*. i don't want to *party* with their *juice*.

Makkara
06-15-2007, 01:48 AM
I started playing SC2 after Sharkey mentioned it on that Freeloader feature. I didn't know what to expect going in, but after talking to Fwiffo, I was in love with the game. The Spathi voice (and dialogue) is absolutely perfect. Another favorite, besides the ones Red mentioned, is the Umgah blobbies. But yeah, some are not so great. If I have to listen to the Orz again, it is *dancing*!

nadia
06-15-2007, 06:58 AM
The Orz sound like infomercial hosts ... which, in my opinion, increases their Creepiness factor by several thousand.

At first I thought it was kind of weird to have aliens with Earthly accents (the Yehat, the Shofixti), but as you learn more about their respective cultures, listening becomes a lot more fun.

I always liked the creepy subtlety of the Arilou / Orz / Antrosynth connection.

nathan
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM
I'd have to give props to Lufia 2 - I spent a good 3 months playing it in the 10th grade. The fact that it was able to consistently challenge me with the games puzzles, even though I was a rather precociously overeducated 16 year old, will always stay will me.
As pathetic as this sounds, that 99 floor tower in Lufia 2 was a college obsession with myself and a few friends. I don't think anyone ever got any further than the 54th floor. To this day I don't know of anyone that has finished that tower.

Has anyone here gotten to the top? Is it even possible?

ecchi squirrel
06-15-2007, 12:02 PM
I come from a Catholic family, and for whatever reason, they're big on circumcisions (sp?)... However, for whatever reason, my parents never had mine...uh, done when I was a baby, and it always seemed to bother them, like I was somehow going to go to Hell for having a natural tally-whacker.

They kept urging me to go to some doctor and get it, uh, cut, but I always refused. Then my dad promised to buy me some games if I did it.

So yeah, I traded my foreskin for Final Fantasy Tactics. I regret nothing.

shivam
06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
sweet mother of christ....even for a game as amazing as FFT, i'd never make that ultimate sacrifice....

/winces, squeezes legs together

nadia
06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Wow, my father's family is Jewish, but adult circumcision is a total mystery to me.

I think your parents were a little confused at the requirements for being a Good Catholic, besides. Reminds me of Flanders. "Lord, I've done everything you've asked of me! I've even kept kosher just to be on the safe side!"

R^2
06-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I come from a Catholic family, and for whatever reason, they're big on circumcisions (sp?)... However, for whatever reason, my parents never had mine...uh, done when I was a baby, and it always seemed to bother them, like I was somehow going to go to Hell for having a natural tally-whacker.

They kept urging me to go to some doctor and get it, uh, cut, but I always refused. Then my dad promised to buy me some games if I did it.

D:

Red Hedgehog
06-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Wow. I can't imagine actually remembering the process of circumcision. Any non-circumcised males who convert to Judaism have my profound respect.

That said, I could see getting circumcised in exchange for a complete Suikoden II...

ArugulaZ
06-15-2007, 04:19 PM

(shakes head and sighs)

At least this isn't Africa, where circumcision is commonly performed on both sexes.

JR

Positronic Brain
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM

You win.

Savathun
06-18-2007, 12:11 AM
(shakes head and sighs)

At least this isn't Africa, where circumcision is commonly performed on both sexes.

JR

Yeah, and they only give you Tactics Advance for it.

Heathens.

Squall
06-18-2007, 12:55 AM
I have sort of wondered as to why Circumcision is so predominant in the Christian culture. You know, aside from health reasons. One of the most significant moments in the New Testament was when a panel of influential early Christians determined that it wasn't required.

And there was much rejoicing throughout Rome.

I must admit, I wish had a foreskin at the time to trade for FFT, instead of spending my own money.

ecchi squirrel
06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Looking back on it now, I probably should've held out for more games. There are still gaps in my PS1 collection, but sadly, I have no more foreskin to trade for games.

Savathun
06-19-2007, 12:42 AM
So you're saying you regret that you have but one foreskin to give for your game collection?

nadia
06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I have sort of wondered as to why Circumcision is so predominant in the Christian culture. You know, aside from health reasons.

That's about it. Easier to keep clean, supposedly. I hear if you get soap under there, it's Ouch City.

Why God chose circumcision as a means of forming a bond between Him and Jews / Mulsims, I'll never know.

Abraham: "God, I will dedicate my life to You, as You are the One True Ruler of the Universe. What physical symbolism might be worthy of our bond?"

God: "(Psst, watch this Gabriel, this is gonna be hilarious) MY SON, I REQUIRE YOU TO ... DISROBE YOUR FIREMAN."

Everywhere I've been on the Internet, discussions on circumsision always turn into a big screaming deal: The uncircumsised are dirty heathens, and the circumsised are brainwashed God-lovers who will never have good sex ever. Thus, I'm really surprised to see men offering up their foreskins so casually for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Yeah, I guess it was a good game and all.

Makkara
06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Penn & Teller (http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/prevepisodes.do?episodeid=s3/circ) seem to be pro-hoodie.

Personally, I never had any problems. I mean, you do have to mind it when taking a wee, because sometimes the, um... trajectory can become unpredictable. Worst case scenario, you end up with a spread gun, and that's not something you want unless you're fighting Red Falcon*.

* That's not a euphemism connected to the thread title.

shivam
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
the problem with circumcision debates is that no guy wants to think that his wang is on the wrong side of the argument, and they will defend their parent's choice to the death.

nadia
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Penn & Teller seem to be pro-hoodie.

For a show that claims low doses of bull droppings, Penn and Teller spew a lot of their own so I tend to leave their show alone.

(which is kind of funny because I love South Park.)

the problem with circumcision debates is that no guy wants to think that his wang is on the wrong side of the argument, and they will defend their parent's choice to the death.

Bingo.

Peach
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Crazy, semi-related story: I remember seeing a huge argument on a forum about, after defecating, whether people wiped sitting down or standing up. It was about 60/40 in favor of sitting down, but both sides had their minds completely blown that it could be done any other way. But seriously, how COULD you do it that way?

Zef
06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm learning more about other TT members^H^H posters than "View Public Profile" could have ever told me or anyone else.

It's a brave new world out there.

R^2
06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
This thread delivers.

Savathun
06-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Return to sender!

VsRobot
06-19-2007, 05:07 PM

I'm cut and I wish I wasn't.

http://the-op.com/images/400hoop.jpg