PDA

View Full Version : Sea World is boring as fuck

Brickroad
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Seriously, the Shamu show is like 15 minutes long, and most of it involves staring at an empty pool listening to emotional pop music about how pollution is bad. And that's, like, the main event. That's the one you have to get there 45 minutes early for if you want a seat.

I think I was expecting a little more science, but many of the aquariums and animal exhibits didn't even have informational placards. I almost learned something, when one of the trainers came out to explain that each of the animals has a unique personality which colored their interactions both with people and other animals... but rather than demonstrate that, it turned out to just be a set-up for this bit where the whales swam around splashing people. Because "making a big splash" is what they all have in common! Har har har kill me now.

I didn't even ride the roller coasters because one was that kind where you stand up and get your balls crushed, and the other you have to lay down which just looked really awful. So we left really early and Peanut even admitted it wasn't as good as when she was a kid.

Should have gone to Universal instead. They have that kick-ass Hulk roller coaster and the Dagwood sandwich place. Ah well, maybe next year.

Also Peanut and I have been married a whole year now, but that's not as important as bitching about Sea World.

ArugulaZ
06-29-2012, 03:23 PM
They would have had one of the orcas devour its trainer, but it already had lunch.

Elfir
06-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I've never thought Sea World sounded interesting.

If we could afford a Florida fun park trip right now, I'd make sure to visit the Harry Potter one. I'm sure it's extremely crowded still but it sounds awesome.

sraymonds
06-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I've been to Sea World about 4 or 5 times. I love the place and I'm planning a trip there next month. Feeding dolphins is pretty great.

Nucular
06-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I went to sea world once. The water was cold and the "attractions" sucked. Seriously, the Shed Aquarium in Chicago is so much better.

Nobuyuki
06-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I like the one in Orlando, but ignoring the roller coasters is like saying you hate this birthday cake because all you would eat are the candles. I think it's a decent balance of a few good rides, a few animal exhibits and a few boring shows to allow you to rest. It's definitely not a park that needs more than a day though.

ArugulaZ
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Hey, I don't need no beer-owned aquarium to make me happy. I'd be thrilled just to visit a plain old fashioned zoo, with lions and tigers and those other things that are paired with lions and tigers for some reason. You know what I mean... stubby tails, shaggy fur, lousy dispositions?

Early this year, I went to the zoo for my birthday, and while January 2nd is really not the best time to go to a zoo, I was still happy I made the trip. Your life is empty until you've welcomed a Pallas Cat into it. Imagine Wilford Brimley in pajamas, but now he's a cat.

Sanagi
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
The only thing I remember about Sea World (~20 years ago) is climbing on a giant cargo net. I liked that.

ProfessorS
06-29-2012, 03:55 PM
When I was 13 or so, my family in I took a trip to the one in Ohio. I don't even think it had a real aquarium. Or at least an aquarium comparable to the aquarium of any zoo worth it's salt. It was one of the most disappointing vacations I'd ever been on.

Googleshng
06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Come to think of it, the last time I visited my local aquarium (http://www.mysticaquarium.org/) was pretty rad precisely because there was practically nobody else there that day. There was just me, my cousin, and his then-fiancee walking around, and a volunteer with nothing better to do just kinda hung out with us all day talking about whatever we wandered over to in pretty decent detail.

I'm also still amused that it was way too cold that day for their penguins to be outside. Because that's really not a thing it ever occurred to me was possible. Turns out there's African penguins, which aren't particularly adapted to freezing temperatures at all.

Falselogic
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
You crazy, Sea World has pinnipeds. PINNIPEDS. Nothing involving pinnipeds can be boring. You must hate all that is good and right in this world.

PINNIPEDS

Seriously guys and gals, pinnipeds are awesome.

teg
06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
happy anniversary brickroad

Paul le Fou
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I like Sea World San Antonio! But you're right, I would rather go to a real aquarium or zoo. Or a bird park! I like bird parks. They have birds. I like birds.

Prinnydood
06-29-2012, 04:57 PM
I went to Sea World once, then never again. Maybe they deserve a second chance since I went ten years ago before they got all of their theme park-like additions.

narcodis
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
They have roller coasters at sea world now??

Torzelbaum
06-29-2012, 06:00 PM
those other things that are paired with lions and tigers for some reason. You know what I mean... stubby tails, shaggy fur, lousy dispositions?Wolverines?

Kalir
06-29-2012, 06:54 PM
A friend of mine works at Sea World. She has stated that the job itself is fun, but that a lot of people working there are idiots.

Balrog
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
I would have liked Sea World better when we went but it was hot as hell and I was dragging around 50 lb. worth of children in a heavy ass wagon. NEVER AGAIN, I SAY.

Seth Marati
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
If we could afford a Florida fun park trip right now, I'd make sure to visit the Harry Potter one. I'm sure it's extremely crowded still but it sounds awesome.

That's a subset of Universal Studios. You could go to Harrypotterland and still have a ton of stuff to check out afterwards.

Let me warn you, though, not to make the same mistake I did, which was to eat nothing for over three hours, have a glass of butterbeer, and then get on the roller coasters. That was the only time I ever got sick at a theme park.

Lumber Baron
06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
But Sea World has penguins!

Nobuyuki
06-29-2012, 10:38 PM
That's a subset of Universal Studios. You could go to Harrypotterland and still have a ton of stuff to check out afterwards.

Let me warn you, though, not to make the same mistake I did, which was to eat nothing for over three hours, have a glass of butterbeer, and then get on the roller coasters. That was the only time I ever got sick at a theme park.

The HP park has roller coasters? I looked at it right after it opened but then it looked like there was nothing but butterbeer and a whole bunch of shops. I'd love to go once there's, like, stuff to do.

Dhroo
06-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Basically they just converted the fantasy-themed island at Islands of Adventure into the Harry Potter thing. There was previously a roller coaster there with twin tracks that intertwine with each other(Dueling Dragons, I think it was called?), and they just kept that and rebranded it as a Potter ride. Inside the actual Hogwarts castle there's also a new 3D ride, glasses and all, that's very similar to the Spider-Man ride over on the Marvel island, except probably better, honestly.

And yes, that section of the park will be packed most any time that you go. When I went a little more than a year ago, the Potter island was so crowded that they had attendants handing out return tickets to people trying to enter it, the idea being that they could go see the rest of the park for a few hours or whatever and then come back at a given time. Most people just kind of ignored it, though.

The butterbeer is really good, though! And the candy store is definitely worth a visit. Just don't eat at the Three Broomsticks, the food is horrible, even by theme park standards.

BŁge
06-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I like Disney World. Its zoo is much more interesting.

Zef
06-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Basically they just converted the fantasy-themed island at Islands of Adventure into the Harry Potter thing. There was previously a roller coaster there with twin tracks that intertwine with each other(Dueling Dragons, I think it was called?), and they just kept that and rebranded it as a Potter ride.

Nooo I loved Dueling Dragons it's my second favorite rollercoaster ever :(

But more importantly:

Nobuyuki
06-30-2012, 08:13 AM
I like Disney World. Its zoo is much more interesting.

Plus, for all your money, you can stay at a zoo-adjacent hotel. Magic! Epcot also has an aquarium, but it's not so great. It does have a neat restaurant at least.

ProfessorS
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM

My damn local zoo(the Indianapolis Zoo) has had a roller coaster for a few years now. They also have some goofy ass Dora the Explorer 4D Adventure thing. I don't get it.

McClain
06-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Plus, for all your money, you can stay at a zoo-adjacent hotel. Magic! Epcot also has an aquarium, but it's not so great. It does have a neat restaurant at least.

I think I went there as a kid. I distinctly remember eating seafood in front of a huge wall of fish, and even at 10 or 11 noting it seemed kinda funny.

Posaune
06-30-2012, 08:39 AM
My damn local zoo(the Indianapolis Zoo) has had a roller coaster for a few years now. They also have some goofy ass Dora the Explorer 4D Adventure thing. I don't get it.

Aw, man.. That's weak. I expect better from an actual zoo, even though zoos are kinda weird in their own right. I remember hearing a thing on NPR back in high school where a guest was talking about zoos kind of come from this colonialist/Victorian idea of exotic animals as spectacles, whereas nowadays it's kind of trying to be this more educational thing, but awkwardly remains trapped by its formation as a spectacle of sorts. I think that was the gist of it.

At least we don't have depressing Asian zoos.

ArugulaZ
06-30-2012, 10:13 AM
But seeing exotic animals IS pretty exciting! Our lives have become so banal, so lacking in danger, and so completely tame that you've got to inject a little of the wild into them every once in a while.

Also, zoos have worked to make the habitats of their animals closer to their real-life environments. I don't have an issue with zoos as a concept (in fact, I encourage them!) so long as the animals are treated with respect.

Now the exhibits at carnivals and fairs are harder to defend. I remember going to a fair about ten years ago which had several big cats, all stuffed into metal cages. Someone I knew thought they had a lynx in one of the cages, but I'm pretty sure it was a cougar with a stunted physique and a mangled tail. :P

Excitemike
06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
The whale union is strict as fuck, 15 minutes is all you get.
You should see Shamu's rider, all brandy glass filled with green M&M's.

BŁge
06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
At least we don't have depressing Asian zoos.

You've never been to Marineland, have you?

Posaune
06-30-2012, 11:42 AM
You've never been to Marineland, have you?

No, sir. But with the name Marineland it doesn't really sound like a proper zoo. Like you dudes know what I mean by a real (decent) zoo, right?

McClain
06-30-2012, 11:57 AM
You should see Shamu's rider, all brandy glass filled with green M&M's.

I figured out what you meant, but for a second I pictured someone on the back of the whale drinking brandy.

Wolfgang
06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
I can't wait to get married, so I can complain about the trips we go on to celebrate special occasions.

Serephine
06-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I figured out what you meant, but for a second I pictured someone on the back of the whale drinking brandy.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111212213124/bastion/images/d/df/Whaleale.png

Seth Marati
06-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Nooo I loved Dueling Dragons it's my second favorite rollercoaster ever :(

It's still there! They just rebranded it so it's "Chinese Fireball" against "Hungarian Horntail" now. And the whole thing has the much lamer name "Dragon Challenge".

Also, the point about the park being packed whenever isn't necessarily true. When I went there, I rode Dueling Dragons Dragon Challenge twice in ten minutes.

Octopus Prime
06-30-2012, 07:18 PM

The very definition of class.

Dizzy
06-30-2012, 07:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LEC9q.gif