PDA

View Full Version : YOU chose poorly -Let's read a CYOA!


Pages : [1] 2

sraymonds
07-10-2012, 08:15 AM
I have a somewhat large collection of various CYOA/Fighting Fantasy books, and rather than let them sit in my closet, we will go through the travails and tribulations of our protagonist. TOGETHER

These are three books from my collection. Let's decide which one to read.


House of Hades - A Fighting Fantasy Gamebook by Steve Jackson

Taking refuge in the infamous House of Hades has to be the worst mistake of your life! The dangers of the downpour outside are nothing compared to the bloodcurdling adventures that await you within. Who knows how many luckless wanderers like yourself have perished inside these gruesome walls? Be warned! Tonight will be a night you won't soon forget...

Battle Road - A Car Wars Adventure Gamebook by Steve Jackson

Welcome to the world of 2036, where adventure is everywhere, and the right-of-way belongs to the driver with the biggest guns. This is the fast-paced world of arena combat, highway battles, cycle gans, and unstoppable eighteen-wheelers...the world of CAR WARS!

Hyperspace - A Choose Your Own Adventure by Edward Packard

Your new neighbor, Professor Zinka, is a brilliant scientist who is exploring the mysteries of Hyperspace. One day he invites you into his secret laboratory to show you his most daring invention - the hypolaser. Before you can stop him, he pulls a red level, and vanishes into another dimension! What should you do?



I just realized that I grabbed two books by Steve Jackson. Oh well.

Octopus Prime
07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
I had House of Hades as a wee'un!

Let's do that!

Loki
07-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I just realized that I grabbed two books by Steve Jackson. Oh well.

Yes, but which Steve Jackson.

Anyway, Battle Road because Car Wars.

sraymonds
07-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes, but which Steve Jackson.

Ah yes, I remember getting tripped up by this before. House of Hades is by the UK Steve Jackson and Battle Road is by the US Steve Jackson.

BEAT
07-10-2012, 09:52 AM
CAR WARS

Because it's CAR WARS

sraymonds
07-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Just as an FYI, the previous owner of the Car Wars book left his character bookmark so if Car Wars wins, we'll be starting the game as Clutch Carson.

Loki
07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd say no c'mon, but that is an amazing name.

But if you need a blank one: Bookmark (http://i.imgur.com/2csA1.jpg), Character Sheet (http://i.imgur.com/lZC3v.gif).

Matchstick
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Anyway, Battle Road because Car Wars.

CAR WARS

Because it's CAR WARS

I'd say no c'mon, but that is an amazing name.

sraymonds
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Another FYI; the poll ends at 9 AM Central time.

sraymonds
07-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Poll ended with a tie between Hyperspace and Battle Road, so I flipped a coin.

Battle Road wins it! Gonna get Clutch Carson out on the road.

Falselogic
07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Poll ended with a tie between Hyperspace and Battle Road, so I flipped a coin.

Battle Road wins it! Gonna get Clutch Carson out on the road.

You cheated! I wanted to learn about the adventures of Nick Nebula in Hyperspace

sraymonds
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
You cheated! I wanted to learn about the adventures of Nick Nebula in Hyperspace

That's a story for another time, Flawgic. For another time. /scaryvoice

Mogri
07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I've met US Steve Jackson. Dude's kind of a jerk.

Loki
07-11-2012, 02:34 PM
That in no way comes as a surprise.

sraymonds
07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Clutch Carson is an amazing name. So amazing that we're going to stick with it.

His stats, however, are our own. We have 10 points to distribute between 5 stats, and every stat must get at least 1 point.

Driving - The ability to drive all kinds of vehicles. This skill helps keep control of the vehicle in a tight spot.

Gunnery - Controls the ability in all kinds of combat - autoduelling, fistfights, and guns. When Clutch fires from a car, it adds to his combat bonus.

Mechanic - Helps to fix the car when it's broken.

Prestige - Clutch's fame and reputation. High prestige will sometimes get him better treatment. It makes him more assertive, and sometimes helps to "fast-talk" someone.

Wealth - Each point of wealth is worth $1,000 of starting cash. Cars and equipment cost money; money is also gained from rewards, salvages, etc.

How should we distribute these 10 points?

liquid
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Three prestige, four wealth!

Falselogic
07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
5 into driving
2 into gunning
1 into the rest

Mogri
07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Three prestige, four wealth!

^ He can pay someone to drive, fight, and fix for him.

kaisel
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
6 points in Gunnery, 1 point in the rest. Clutch solves all his problems with violence.

Octopus Prime
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
3 Prestige, 4 Wealth and 3 Driving. No guns.

Clutch Carson is Batman.

sraymonds
07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
3 Prestige, 4 Wealth and 3 Driving. No guns.

Clutch Carson is Batman.

His stats, however, are our own. We have 10 points to distribute between 5 stats, and every stat must get at least 1 point.

Soren Highwind
07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
6 points in Gunnery, 1 point in the rest. Clutch solves all his problems with violence.

This! Also:

When Clutch fires from a car, it adds to his combat bonus.

That is amazing even though I'm not sure how that works.

Octopus Prime
07-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Batman plays by his own rules!

Loki
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Clutch Carson is known for three things: driving fast, talkin big, and talkin big about driving fast.

4 Drive
3 Prestige
1 in the rest

Googleshng
07-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I've met US Steve Jackson. Dude's kind of a jerk.

I met him, didn't realize it was him, and blurted something about about how enough is frelling enough with the Munchkin expansions. I placed the face like 2 minutes later and was seriously embarrassed.

Particularly since I was at a trade show trying to find a publisher for my game.




Anyway though, what little I recall of how Car Wars works sez not having your driving up causes you to flip over and die when making a turn, so, at least a 4 on there. And... possibly some mechanics because this is a CYOA and they always like to screw you over with random unavoidable problems like that.

Büge
07-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm certain he appreciated your honesty, goog.

Loki
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
To be fair there are way too many expansions.

Nodal
07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
But he was probably offended by your use of frelling.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Ok, we've got five (legal) options for Clutch's stats.

Driving____|1|___|5|___|1|___|4|___|4|
Gunnery___|1|___|2|___|6|___|1|___|2|
Mechanic__|1|___|1|___|1|___|1|___|2|
Prestige___|3|___|1|___|1|___|3|___|1|
Wealth____|4|___|1|___|1|___|1|___|1|

With my handy dandy dice roller, the die will determine what Clutch is capable of.

I rolled a 3, so Clutch is going to be good at one thing, and that thing is Gunnery.

Mogri
07-12-2012, 11:26 AM
N...no!

Anytime we fail a Prestige check, kaisel, I'm blaming you.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Uh, anyone know how to determine HP for this game? This book isn't being very clear. It looks like Clutch is only going to have an HP total of 6. Things aren't looking good.

Loki
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
You start with 3, then any armor you get adds on top of it. Armor can't be repaired and once it's gone then you start taking hits directly to your HP.

Of course, cars have HP of their own and will take damage before you do.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
1. You have been hired to go to Twoeagles Ranch, headquarters of Oklahoma oil baron, John Twoeagles, and free Angela Jordan, daughter of the President of Louisiana. You have been given a computer-cube of note and instructions from Irene Mirabeau. If you complete the mission, you will earn $100,000 in gold. You have been given a $5,000 in advance!
You know your mission is a desperate one. Officially, Louisiana has knuckled under to Twoeagles' blackmail. Only a surprise attack can save Angela.

And your time is limited. Twoeagles' plan is devilishly simple. Jordan is an old man - and Angela is young and single. If Twoeagles marries her, he will become the "crown prince" - and can easily succeed Jordan as President of Louisiana. And the wedding is set for 1PM tomorrow - exactly 24 hours from now.
It is now 1PM. You have 24 hours to free Angela before the wedding.

Your vehicle is a Piranha, a luxury-sized combat car. It has space for both a driver and a gunner - but your gunner seat is empty. This will give you a place to put Angela when you rescue her.
You also start off with the following possessions:

Machine Pistol (does 2 hits to people, 1 hit to vehicles; worth $250)
Body Armor (Worth $250; gives your character 3 extra hit points.)
Assorted simple tools for repair work.



http://i.imgur.com/EjRVC.jpg

Holy shit, Clutch Carson is Future Jack Bauer. You're ready to being your mission. Turn to 182.

kaisel
07-12-2012, 12:44 PM
N...no!

Anytime we fail a Prestige check, kaisel, I'm blaming you.

Fisticuffs will be the only form of communication we need.

Err, though, if we die super quickly because of the possibly terrible stat build, are you going to do it again, or switch to a different CYOA?

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Fisticuffs will be the only form of communication we need.

Err, though, if we die super quickly because of the possibly terrible stat build, are you going to do it again, or switch to a different CYOA?

Dude, you always keep your fingers in the page you just turned away from. Experienced CYOAers keep several fingers in several pages going back 3-4 choices.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Err, though, if we die super quickly because of the possibly terrible stat build, are you going to do it again, or switch to a different CYOA?

I'm not sure. I was thinking of just switching.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
182 - 1PM You are leaving Capitol City, the fortified Austin neighborhood where all embassies to Texas are located. The guards wave you through; getting out is much easier than getting in! You have 24 hours to rescue Angela. What will you do?


Hit the road immediately with the equipment you have?
Drop by the Austin branch of the American Autoduel Association, of which you are a member, to get information about road conditions?
Take some time to buy some special combat equipment at Uncle Albert's Auto Shop and Gunnery Shop?

Loki
07-12-2012, 01:19 PM
On SA, CYAO LPs tend to switch with deaths with "save points" to start from. Tends to make for a long, repetitious, and boring experience IMO.

Edit: Hit the road time's a wastin

Büge
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Check road conditions. Who knows if there's a washout or a rockslide or a roving band of motorcycle mutants on the way there?

kaisel
07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Going to go with check road conditions. We probably don't need anymore weaponry, but we'll probably need all the help we can with driving.

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Hit the road! Clutch doesn't waste time with checking or thinking! He DRIVES

Mogri
07-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Armory. Clutch don't go nowhere with just a pistol.

Loki
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
He's also got a rocket lawnchair and three machine guns!

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah, come on, someone be a tie breaker before I'm forced to flip a coin again.

Soren Highwind
07-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Check those road conditions! Don't want to be unprepared, after all.

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Check those road conditions! Don't want to be unprepared, after all.

Check road conditions?! Really? What is this the Caltrans Guide to Road Repair?

Here I thought we were reading Road Warrior

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
307 - 1PM

Drop by the Austin branch of the American Autoduel Association, of which you are a member, to get information about road conditions


You'd rather not start a trip this important without all the information you can get, so you detory to South Austin to visit the American Autoduel Association. It's a beautiful day; twice you hear gunfire in the distance, but no trouble comes near you. Soon you're at the AADA building. This is the AADA world headquarters, but your request is a routine one - any AADA office could handle it.
Inside the building, an operator checks your membership card and punches up your route. "What's the reason for your trip?" she asks.

You're not going to tell the operator about your secret mission!

If you explain that it's confidential, turn to 72.
If you make up a story, turn to 253.

Loki
07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Clutch isn't smart enough to make up a story. However, he is apparently an old woman, checking in with the triple A and all.

Mogri
07-12-2012, 04:19 PM
We just want information on road conditions! Is that privileged info? This guy is incompetent. Make up a story. Anything will do.

Soren Highwind
07-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Check road conditions?! Really? What is this the Caltrans Guide to Road Repair?

Here I thought we were reading Road Warrior

Sorry! Generally in these things I always picked whatever option seemed least likely to get me killed, which I guess is pretty boring in retrospect. >_>

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Grandmas, like Clutch, like to feel important about their work. She'll probably tell the nice young woman at the desk that she has a confidential task to do like organize her bridge club's annual picnic day.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Grandmas, like Clutch, like to feel important about their work. She'll probably tell the nice young woman at the desk that she has a confidential task to do like organize her bridge club's annual picnic day.

So is that making up a story or saying it's top secret?

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
So is that making up a story or saying it's top secret?

saying it's top secret.

kaisel
07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Let's go with Saying it's confidential.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
72 - 1PM

Explain that it's confidential


The operator buzzes for her supervisor - who recognizes you. He, in turn, bounces you up to a very high-level official - a famous ex-duellist. You know that you're safe telling your story here.He nods. "We don't like to get messed up in international politics," he says. "But this sounds like dirty business. We can't give you any official help - but when you get to New Tulsa, call 435-1998. Write that number down!"

You return to the operator you first talked to, and receive your travel advisory:
"Sunny weather for the next two hours, rapidly getting worse. Heavy thunderstorms expected later today and tomorrow in Oklahoma and north Texas. Flooding expected along the Red River."
"A new city tax has tripled mechanic and recharge fees in Waco. This tax is 'to pay for duellist damage to city property"
"The Texas Rangers are on the lookout for the gang that looted and destroyed the Ross truck stop just north of Waco. There were no survivors. Travelers should note that recharges are no longer available in Ross."

Mark off 2 hours for the time spent at the AADA. What will Grandma Clutch do now?

Head north to begin your mission (16)
Go to Uncle Albert's and buy some special equipment (144)

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Can't burn anymore daylight! head north

kaisel
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Head North, we only have 22 hours left!

Loki
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Who knows how many times the president's daughter has been killed in those two hours. GET A MOVE ON, CLUTCH.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 07:39 PM
16 - 3PM

Go north


You pull your sleek Piranha onto Texas Highway 1 (formerly Interstate 35) and cruise north towards Dallas.
About thirty miles out of Austin, you have to swerve to avoid a bale of hay in the road! Then another...then two more. You crest a hill and see that the road ahead is thickly scatter with hay-bales! You are going to fast to stop. What will you do?


Ride the brakes and slow down as much as you can before colliding (74)
Swerve off the road and drive through the fields (228)
Try to thread between the bales without stopping (162)

Falselogic
07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Thread those bales freeway hero

Matchstick
07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Swerve and go through the fields. Threading through the bales probably won't work due to Clutch's low driving skill.

kaisel
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Going to live up to the tag on this thread and say thread through the bales. Clutch lives dangerously in all things.

Googleshng
07-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Thread those bales freeway hero

Going to live up to the tag on this thread and say thread through the bales. Clutch lives dangerously in all things.

You two did catch that this is one of those RPGish CYOAs where you have stats and such, and that people totally dumped driving right?

Swerve and go through the fields. Threading through the bales probably won't work due to Clutch's low driving skill.

That's what I'd suggest too, yeah.

Mogri
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Why are we going through Dallas? (https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=austin&daddr=Baton+Rouge,+LA&hl=en&sll=47.623225,-122.129312&sspn=0.010717,0.01929&geocode=FRHXzQEdK48s-ikvA8ygmbVEhjF61WnUS0abXQ%3BFavB0AEdIE-R-inLdF8yZzgkhjEdmleR2_EjIQ&oq=baton+rouge&mra=ls&t=m&z=7)

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Why are we going through Dallas? (https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=austin&daddr=Baton+Rouge,+LA&hl=en&sll=47.623225,-122.129312&sspn=0.010717,0.01929&geocode=FRHXzQEdK48s-ikvA8ygmbVEhjF61WnUS0abXQ%3BFavB0AEdIE-R-inLdF8yZzgkhjEdmleR2_EjIQ&oq=baton+rouge&mra=ls&t=m&z=7)

The daughter is from Louisiana; the wedding is in Oklahoma.

Mogri
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Aha.

My brother-in-law got married in Oklahoma and divorced not long thereafter. We should just wait for the divorce.

sraymonds
07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Aha.

My brother-in-law got married in Oklahoma and divorced not long thereafter. We should just wait for the divorce.

She's being forced into this marriage. After the nuptials, the groom's probably going to kill his new father-in-law and take over Louisiana.

There won't be a divorce. There's going to be MURDER

Epithet
07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Lord knows we don't want any foreign oil barons controlling our great state.

Probably go for the fields.

Büge
07-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Take to the fields, C.C.

Octopus Prime
07-13-2012, 03:54 AM
You waste all that time going to Triple-A for a road-condition report and they don't even bother to mention tha the roads covered in hay bales? GEEZ!

Anyway, run those stupid things down! Clutch Carson fears no man, beast nor plant!

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 05:34 AM
228 - 3PM

Drive through the fields


You swerve off the road and into the field. You know immediately it was a mistake. The field that looked so smooth and soft is actually rutted and furrowed - and soft! You fear your Piranha is taking damage. Worse, you can feel the mud sucking at your wheels.

Will you step on the gas and try to get back to the road? (385)
Or will you bring your car to a stop? (294)

Mogri
07-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Step on it, man! Why is stopping even an option? You've clearly landed yourself in the Great Waco Tarpits.

kaisel
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Stopping seems more dangerous than gunning it. Step on the gas.

Falselogic
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Clutch your pearls and press on that gas!

Octopus Prime
07-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Clutch doesn't brake for anything! He lives in only one direction; forward. And he only has two speeds; fast and kill.

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
385 - 3PM

STEP ON IT


Try a Control Roll.

A successful roll (less than or equal to your needed Control Roll) gets you back on to the road, with 6 hits of damage to your car. Also, mark off 1 damage box on your front weapon. Turn to 382
If you fail your Control Roll, the mud catches your wheels and stops you. (294)

Our Control skill is 4. I need 4 or lower on a 1D6.

I got a 1! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3605984/)

Piranha's HP is now 54/60 and our rocket launcher is down to half its health.

382 - 3PM

DRIVE LIKE A BOSS


The litter of hay bales ends as suddenly as it began; the road is clean. Almost clean, that is. In front of you is the source of your problems. A farm truck is lying on it's side, blocking one lane. One front wheel is completely blown away; the other is still spinning. There is no sign of the driver. What will you do?

Continue without stopping (97)
Stop and investigate (206)
Put a shot into the offending truck (360) oh god this is gonna be hilarious

kaisel
07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Violence is Clutch's answer to everything. Put a shot in the truck.

Falselogic
07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Truck goes BOOM!

Büge
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Shoot the blockage.

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 12:23 PM
360 - 3PM

POP POP


As you cruise by, you fire a shot into the truck, but there is no response. You have no more time (or ammo) to waste here. Turn to 87.


That was rather anticlimactic.

87 - 3PM

Still driving

Without further incident, you reach the town of Waco. Mark off 2 hours of driving time.

If you would like to get repairs for the car, turn to 289.
If you want to find a safe spot and make repairs yourself, turn to 190.
If you don't need repairs, or would rather keep going, turn to 342.


It is now 5PM. And repairs are fo' suckas

Nodal
07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
keep goin.

Falselogic
07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Drive on!

kaisel
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Keep going.

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
342 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

VROOM VROOM


You may wish to recharge your power plant before you leave Waco. This will cost $150 (three times the normal price) and takes no appreciable time. You know that you cannot make it to Dallas without a recharge, but you also know there should be many truck stops along the way that will charge only $50.

If you stop for a recharge, mark off $150. In any event, turn to 146.


Should we spend the cash?

Nodal
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
move on

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 02:37 PM
87 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Still driving

A few miles beyond Waco, you see a sign: "Ross Truck Stop - Next Cutoff." Propped below it is another, crudely-painted sign: "Still in Business! We're Not Dead Yet! Free Charge-Ups All Day!"
If you charged your power plant in Waco, this probably won't interest you. Otherwise, you may want to stop and power up here; you can't make it to Dallas without recharging somewhere.


Take the cutoff and stop at the Ross truck stop (11)
Keep going on the main road (369)

Nodal
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
We have guns right? STOP

Falselogic
07-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Drive

kaisel
07-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Hrm, the book is saying we need to charge up, and we can fight off any ambushes with our Gunnery. Stop at the truck stop.

Büge
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Head to the truck stop, so you can take a pee and maybe pick up some chips.

Loki
07-13-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm wary the stop is offering a free refill.

Who even does that?

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 06:12 PM
11 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Stopping at the truck stop

You take the cutoff and follow the signs toward the Ross truck stop. Soon you see it - or, rather, the wall around it. Like most countrysude truck stops, it's a miniature fortress. But today the big gates are gaping open; one is blown off its tracks. Another crude sign, propped up against the wall, reads "Honk and Drive In! Free Charge-Ups! Free Coffee! Half-Price Ammo and Grenades!"

You lean on the horn and slow down to enter the gate. But as you enter, you see devastation! The truck stop building is a burned-out pile of rubble. Then you hear gun-fire, and you realize you have driven into a trap. You can see at least three foes - two on foot and one in a car. There may be more...and guns are blazing at you. You're in deep trouble.


If you try to fight it out, turn to 48.
If you do a "bootlegger reverse" to spin around and get out of there, turn to 323.


Yeah, like no one saw this coming.

Nodal
07-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Fight it out!!

kaisel
07-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Clutch has only one skill: Fight it out.

Büge
07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
These guys cost you a bathroom break and a recharge. Pay them in bullets.

liquid
07-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Momma didn't raise no chicken! Let's waste 'em!

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 09:01 PM
48 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

LET'S DO THIS

You are facing four foes; three bandits with tripod-mounted machine-gauns, and one rattly sedan with a rocket launcher in front. It is a wild, circling battle; dust and sparks fly, and stray shots careen off the inside of the walls. Your foes are trying to catch you in a crossfire. Each time you shoot past him, the bald-headed driver of the sedan scowls fiercly at you, as if to kill you by looks alone.

As you race around the destroyed truck stop, you may pick any of your weapons to fire each turn - but only one weapon per turn.
Play out the battle. You fire first each turn. Your foes are:

Gunner #1. Defense Class 9. 6 HP. Combat bonus +2; 1 die damage.
Gunner #2. Defense Class 9. 6 HP. Combat bonus +3; 1 die damage.
Gunner #3. Defense Class 9. 3 HP. Combat bonus +2; 1 die damage.


You are also facing one enemy car:
Canberra Sedan

Mid-sized; 18 HP. Defense Class 10
Weapon: Rocket Launcher (Combat bonus -1; 2 dice damage, 2 damage boxes).
Power plant: Medium (8 damage boxes).
The sedan driver has a Gunnery skill of 3 and a Control Roll of 5.


Remember that if you reduce an enemy to 1HP, he is unconscious and out of the fight!


If you eliminate all four opponents, turn to 66.
If you lose, turn to 130.


And I need to read the combat rules.

sraymonds
07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Turn 1


Clutch fires at Gunner #2 with his rocket launcher

Gets a 6 + 6 -1 = 11 for a hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606820/)
Obliterates Gunner #2 with 8 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606824/)


Gunner # 1 fires and rolls a 10 + 2 = 12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606826/) for a hit

Does 2 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606827/) to the car; car is now at 52 HP


Gunner #3 fires and rolls a 4 + 2 = 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606831/), which is a miss!

Sedan fires its rocket launcher and rolls 11 + 3 -1 = 12, a hit. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606834/)

It does 8 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3606835/), dropping the car to 44HP.



Turn 2 later

sraymonds
07-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Turn 2


Clutch fires at Gunner #3 with his machine pistol

Gets a 4 + 6 = 10 for a hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610024/)
Gunner #3 is reduced to 1 HP and falls unconscious.


Gunner # 1 fires and rolls a 8 + 2 = 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610038/) for a hit

Does 2 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610039/) to the car; car is now at 42 HP


Sedan fires its rocket launcher and rolls 8 + 3 -1 = 10, a hit. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610040/)

It does 5 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610041/), dropping the car to 37HP.



Turn 3


Clutch fires at the sedan with the rocket launcher

Gets a 7 + 6 - 1 = 12 for a hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610042/)
Sedan takes 10 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610055/) and has 8 HP left.


Gunner # 1 fires and rolls a 9 + 2 = 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610056/) for a hit

Does 1 point of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610060/) to the car; car is now at 36 HP


Sedan fires its rocket launcher and rolls 8 + 3 -1 = 10, a hit. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610061/)

It does 7 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610063/), dropping the car to 29 HP.



Turn 4


Clutch fires at the sedan with the rocket launcher

Gets a 7 + 6 - 1 = 12 for a hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610064/)
Sedan takes 8 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610066/) and blows up in a glorious fireball


Gunner # 1 fires and rolls a 8 + 2 = 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610075/) for a hit

Does 5 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610076/) to the car; car is now at 24 HP



Turn 5


Clutch fires at Gunner #1 with the rocket launcher

Gets a 5 + 6 - 1 = 10 for a hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610077/)
Gunner #1 takes 6 points of damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3610078/) and is a smouldering ruin



The car is down to 24 HP but on the bright side, we won!

Büge
07-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Is there anything to ransack?

Falselogic
07-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Gunner # 1 fires and rolls a 8 + 2 = 10 for a hit
Does 2 points of damage to the car; car is now at 50 HP
Sedan fires its rocket launcher and rolls 8 + 3 -1 = 10, a hit.
It does 5 points of damage, dropping the car to 37HP.

In turn 2 you said we the car had 50 health and then lost 5 more and somehow we ended up with 37?

sraymonds
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
In turn 2 you said we the car had 50 health and then lost 5 more and somehow we ended up with 37?

Copy paste error.

sraymonds
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
66 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Your arrogance offends me.

Your foes are all dead or unconscious. The echoes of gunfire die away within the smoke-blackened walls.


Leave immediately (178)
Search your ambushers (269)

Falselogic
07-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Is that even a question? Of course we loot. LOOT EVERYTHING

Kirin
07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah, standard procedure: reduce enemies to ash, search ash for treasure.

sraymonds
07-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I figured.

269 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Searching searching searching

You investigate the bodies of the four bandits. You know that this gang could not have been strong enough to destroy the truck stop - perhaps they were just small-time crooks, taking advantage of the opportunity to ambush passing traffic.
You find one working maching pistol (worth $250) and $140 in cash. You also find 4 rounds of rocket launcher ammo (total value $140) and 12 shots worth of machine gun ammo ($300). You may load the ammo into your own weapons if it will fit.


Repair your vehicle? (196)
Leave (178)


Wait, ammo, what? Was I supposed to be tracking that?

Falselogic
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Repair!

kaisel
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Repair

sraymonds
07-16-2012, 12:19 PM
169 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Repair

A fatal mistake. As you are lying underneath your car, the rest of the gang comes into the truck stop. They are not pleased with you.... Your adventure is over.

YOU CHOSE POORLY.
THE END

Falselogic
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
169 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Repair

A fatal mistake. As you are lying underneath your car, the rest of the gang comes into the truck stop. They are not pleased with you.... Your adventure is over.

YOU CHOSE POORLY.
THE END

Lame! Rewind and hit the road

Loki
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Hahaha what bullshit. Steve Jackson I expected better from you.

Anyway, didn't we come here to get fuel? Isn't that still a possibility. I say we charge up and damn what the book says.

liquid
07-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Fuck this book, I'm choosing my own adventure!

Nodal
07-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Next: fighting fantasy??

sraymonds
07-19-2012, 01:07 PM
178 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Drive away and not look back at the explosions

In a plume of dust and ashes, you're out of there! You speed out of the gate and away from the wrecked truck stop, with that encounter behind you. Or is it?
No! There's still one foe left to deal with. A car as big as yours shoots out from behind the wall of the truck stop. He's on your tail!
The road is narrow; there is no chance for a "dogfight." The attacker isn't quite close enough to fire at you.


If you want to try to out-drive your foe, turn to 340.
If you slow down and fight with your rear machine-gun, turn to 160.

Kirin
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Surely our stats dictate the answer here...

Nodal
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Seriously.

Falselogic
07-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Drive?

Loki
07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
You know for a book about post-apocolyptic car death battles the writing is rather dry.

If I was eating a turkey this dry I'd spit it out except I couldn't because there would be no spit on account of the dryness, is all I'm saying.

kaisel
07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Machine gun, and hope that we don't somehow get swarmed by a bunch of people out of nowhere and die again.

Büge
07-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

(with your guns)

Pajaro Pete
07-20-2012, 01:27 PM
i vote for the scholastic Clue book series

sraymonds
07-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Sorry, I left my book at work over the weekend.

160 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

RAT-A-TAT-A-TAT-A-TAT

You fire first each turn; then your foe fires. You are using your rear-firing machine gun - the only weapon you can bring to bear.
you opponent is batter but fairly formidable:

Hotshot
Luxury car: 22 HP. DC 11
Weapons: Recoiless rifle to front (Combat bonus 0; 2 dice damage; 3 damage boxes
power plant: super, damaged (11 damage boxes)
The Hotshot driver has a Gunner skill of 3 and a Control Roll of 4.


Clutch gets a 17; Does 4 damage, Enemy at 18 HP
Hotshot rolls 14; Does 4 HP; Clutch is down to 20 HP
Clutch rolls 12; Does 2 Damage; Hotshot at 16
Hotshot rolls 12; Does another 4 damage; Clutch is at 16 HP
Cltuch rolls 14; Does 3 damage; Hotshot at 13
Hotshot rolls an 8; MISS
Clutch rolls 14; Does 6 damage; Hotshot at 7 HP
Hotshot rolls a 7; another miss!
Clutch rolls a 12; Does 3 damage; Hotshot at 4 HP
Hotshot rolls a snake eyes; miss
Clutch rolls an 11; Does another 6 damage; Hotshot is down


Yeah, I thought we were gonna be dying there.

214 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

You have knocked out the hotshot. It careens into a ditch and flips over. You stay well clear for a minute, in case there's an explosion, but nothing happens.


Stop and search the car (2).
Leave immediately (29).


If there's one thing I learned, it's that Clutch is very good at killing.

Falselogic
07-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Loot!

Octopus Prime
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Kill Stuff and Take Stuff!

Why are you not just assuming thats the right thing to do?

Daikaiju
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Also, now that they're dead, repair if given the option.

Büge
07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Ransack your enemy's vehicle, but that's it. No more delays, okay?

sraymonds
07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
2 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

You find nothing of value; the car's magazines were empty, and the driver has either fled or been thrown into the brush by the crash. Turn to 29.

Well that was kinda bullshit.

2 - 5PM - 20 HOURS REMAINING

Somewhat the worse for wear, you locate the highway and head north. Mark off 50 minutes for the time taken in the battle.
You stop in Ross to see whether it has any useful facilities. There, the local sheriff flags you down.
"Pardon me, bub. Just heard a lot of gunfire from south of here, maybe by the truck stop. Got any idea what was going on?"

Tell the truth about the battle (172).
Deny any knowledge of the fight (100).


It would be wise to note that the sheriff appears to be Wolverine, and he's the best he is at what he does, and what he does isn't nice.

Nodal
07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Tell the cop! We have a license!

Falselogic
07-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Shoot the cop!


With truth bullets!

Mogri
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
There's a very real chance that Clutch Carson has already forgotten about the fights (for him, it was Tuesday).

Octopus Prime
07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Clutch Carson may have also forgotten about the fights because he has likely suffered some trauma from all the times he's been shot, punched and exploded in the last few hours.

Daikaiju
07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Considering we're driving a bullet-riddled car, truth may be the best option.

Büge
07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Tell Officer Logan what went down. You never know, the guys you just perforated might have a price on their heads.

Matchstick
07-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Give it to him straight (heh heh).

sraymonds
07-24-2012, 08:07 AM
172 - 5:30 PM - 19.5 HOURS REMAINING

"Well, to tell the truth, that was me," you say. "I saw a sign that said the truck stop was still open, but it turned out to be an ambush. I shot them up a bit and got out of there."

The sheriff is impressed. He makes a radio call to let the Texas Rangers know what is going on; then he return to you. How many foes did you eliminate in the battle?

Five - a clean sweep. Turn to 64.


64- 5:30 PM - 19.5 HOURS REMAINING

"You don't say!" The sheriff is very impressed. He makes another call on his CB - then comes back and starts asking questions in a very respectful manner. Soon you're being interviewed by a local reporter...and promised the story will be on TV. You're something of a hero in Ross right now.

It is an hour before you can get away--but your guns have been refilled with ammo, and a couple of local mechanics have worked on your car free of charge. You may repair 10 hits of general damage, or any two damage boxes. If you were injured yourself, you are healed up and given a set of regular body armor.

Furthermore, your Prestige score is increased by 1 for the remainder of this adventure. You beat long odds in that battle.

Just as you are ready to leave, a teen-aged girls comes running up to you. "Sheriff's on the phone!" she says. "Wants to know if you want to put in a salvage claim on the bandits you smoked!" You realize that the claim could run into the thousands of dollars.

Wait a bit longer and put in a claim. Turn to 136.
Leave right away. Turn to 46.

Octopus Prime
07-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Yeah, that captured princess or whatever ain't going anywhere. And you can be ROLLING IN DOUGH!

Nodal
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
I can't see any way this turns out well. We have a president's daughter to save!

Falselogic
07-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Tell that babe that the open road waits for no man then 'saddle up' and ride!

kaisel
07-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Leave right away, high chance that this is a trap.

sraymonds
07-24-2012, 11:22 AM
46 - 6:30 PM - 18.5 HOURS REMAINING

"No, thanks," you say. "Got to be going. Ask the sheriff to donate my share to the clinic here in town." The townspeople are suitably impressed. If your Prestige score is still 3 or below, raise it by 1 more for the duration of this adventure. Turn to 246.

Wait a bit longer and put in a claim. Turn to 136.
Leave right away. Turn to 46.


246 - 6:30 PM - 18.5 HOURS REMAINING

You leave Ross and drive onward, as the citizens wave. Not long afterwards your scanner picks up a Dallas station: "And, in the local news, road bandits were dealt a severe blow today in Ross..." It's the whole story of your victory. They even got your name right!
Go to 296.

Wait a bit longer and put in a claim. Turn to 136.
Leave right away. Turn to 46.


296 - 6:30 PM - 18.5 HOURS REMAINING

Onward to the north you drive. The land here is flat, but the wildflowers along the road are beautiful. You remember reading somewhere that for more than sixty years the Texas highway department has planted flowers to beautify the roads. Even the occasional wreck along the roadside doesn't detract too much.

You are approaching the town of Hillsboro. Here, you know you must detour; this stretch of interstate is so badly torn up that the "official" Highway 1 now goes through this small town.
Mark off another hour of driving time. If is it is 7:30 or later, turn to 78.


78 - 7:30 PM - 17.5 HOURS REMAINING

You enter the town of Hillsboror. Just off the nighway you see a garage with the AADA logo on its sign. You may stop here if you need repairs or a charge-up -- or if you want to ask about anything else. (If you have not charged your power plant since Austin, you need a charge now!)

Charging. Turn to 257.


257 - 7:30 PM - 17.5 HOURS REMAINING

This garage doubles as a local AADA office. Here you can get a power plant charge ($50, negligible time). What else would you like to do?

Have your car repaired. 204
Attempt the repairs yourself. 334
Get medical aid. 38
Ask for information on road condition. 335
Leave Hillsboro. 226


Leave right away, high chance that this is a trap.

It's not.

Falselogic
07-24-2012, 11:33 AM
DIY Repairs!

Büge
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Repair it yourself, then get some info on road conditions.

Kirin
07-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Do we still need repairs after the free stuff we got in the last town?

kaisel
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Hit the road, I don't think we're that damaged, especially with the free repairs.

sraymonds
07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Our car's HP is 26/60.

Mogri
07-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Better repair that sucker, then.

sraymonds
07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
172 - 7:30 PM - 17.5 HOURS REMAINING

It's getting dark outside; a thunderstorm is starting. But for a $50 fee, the mechanics will let you use an empty bay in their garage. You spread out your tools and get to work. Each Mechanic roll you attempt will cost you an hour. A successful foll will repair 5 hits of general damage to your car.

Keep in mind that for me to successful repair the car, I have to roll equal to or under whatever our Mechanics skill is. Clutch has a Mechanics skill of 1.

How many attempts should I make?

Falselogic
07-24-2012, 02:01 PM
172 - 7:30 PM - 17.5 HOURS REMAINING

It's getting dark outside; a thunderstorm is starting. But for a $50 fee, the mechanics will let you use an empty bay in their garage. You spread out your tools and get to work. Each Mechanic roll you attempt will cost you an hour. A successful foll will repair 5 hits of general damage to your car.

Keep in mind that for me to successful repair the car, I have to roll equal to or under whatever our Mechanics skill is. Clutch has a Mechanics skill of 1.

How many attempts should I make?

ten

Nodal
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh, fuck that then.

Mogri
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Yyyyeah..

sraymonds
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Paying for repairs is $150 for 30 mins and 5 points healed.

Matchstick
07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
How much money do we have in hand?

Octopus Prime
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
172 - 7:30 PM - 17.5 HOURS REMAINING

It's getting dark outside; a thunderstorm is starting. But for a $50 fee, the mechanics will let you use an empty bay in their garage. You spread out your tools and get to work. Each Mechanic roll you attempt will cost you an hour. A successful foll will repair 5 hits of general damage to your car.

Keep in mind that for me to successful repair the car, I have to roll equal to or under whatever our Mechanics skill is. Clutch has a Mechanics skill of 1.

How many attempts should I make?

You're using two dice, right?

sraymonds
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
How much money do we have in hand?

6K

You're using two dice, right?

2 dice is for combat; 1 die for other things

Matchstick
07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
6K

Spend at least an hour having the pros do repairs (probably 2).

Daikaiju
07-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Seriously. We might accidently hook the engine to the radio with that skill level.

Büge
07-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Seriously. We might accidently hook the engine to the radio with that skill level.

But think of all the channels Clutch could pick up with that kind of juice!

sraymonds
07-25-2012, 08:57 AM
172 - 9:30 PM - 15.5 HOURS REMAINING

Two hours later and 600 bucks poorer, the car is now at 46/60 HP. Clutch still has $5,540.

Ask for information on road condition. 335
Leave Hillsboro. 226


What now?

Falselogic
07-25-2012, 09:04 AM
No time for asking questions! Hit the road

Octopus Prime
07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
The road holds no dangers that Clutch can't shoot his way out of. And we've got a PRINCESS TO SAVE

Kirin
07-25-2012, 09:58 AM
17.5 - 2 = 12.5

???

sraymonds
07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
17.5 - 2 = 12.5

???

Wibbley wobbley timey wimey

sraymonds
07-25-2012, 12:43 PM
What was Clutch doing with himself during those two hours that the mechanics were working? Not asking about road conditions, I guess...

He was reloading.

Matchstick
07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
No time for asking questions! Hit the road

Büge
07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
What was Clutch doing with himself during those two hours that the mechanics were working?

Making sure the mechanics didn't strip his car for parts.

sraymonds
07-30-2012, 09:13 AM
226 - 9:30 PM - 15.5 HOURS REMAINING

On the road again

You drive on north, through darkness and occasional thick spatters of rain. Before long you are back on the old interstate. Almost immeadiately, you have a decision to make, as the highway forks.

Will you take the east fork, toward Dallas (221)
Will you get the west fork, into Fort Worth (5)


You know the eastern route normally has fewer delays, and the two routes will rejoin north of the Twin Cities.


East or West?

Falselogic
07-30-2012, 09:41 AM
We traveled east. Always....into the east

Kirin
07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
The book is basically telling us to go East, so.... West?

Octopus Prime
07-30-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm with Kirin. Clutch Carson plays by his own rules.

Matchstick
07-30-2012, 06:19 PM
We traveled east. Always....into the east

Nodal
07-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Clutch Carson never took advice from a book! West!

Seven
07-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Going west is always the right choice...sometimes.

sraymonds
07-31-2012, 07:58 AM
5 - 9:30 PM - 15.5 HOURS REMAINING

Go west

You take the west fork, heading toward Fort Worth. The land around you is flat and aridl even though it is drizzling, the wind kicks up the dust. Eventually you see the lights of Fort Worth in the distance. Mark off an hour for driving time from Hillsboro.

Drive around the city (158)
Head into Fort Worth (292)

Nodal
07-31-2012, 10:35 AM
I bet it's Worth our time!

Falselogic
07-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Fortus Wortho Delenda Est!

sraymonds
07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
292 - 10:30 PM - 14.5 HOURS REMAINING

Fort Better Be Worth It

What would you like to do here?

Get car repairs (80)
Shop for a new car (213)
Visit the AADA for information (319)
Visit Uncle Albert's (weapons dealer)(112)
Leave Fort Worth (51)

Falselogic
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
That's it? I thought we could destroy something...

Leave Fort Worth

Nodal
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I dunno...maybe we should check road conditions.

Falselogic
07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I dunno...maybe we should check road conditions.

Austin: still a little old lady.

kaisel
07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Shop for a new car, part of RPGs is always upgrading our gear.

Büge
07-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Visit Uncle Albert. You're going to need firepower to bust whatsername out of that shotgun wedding, and Clutch is strong in gun-fu.

Matchstick
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
More weapons is always better than less weapons. To Albert's!

Seven
07-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Visit Uncle Albert, you can never have too many weapons.

sraymonds
08-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Y'all are gonna be disappointed

292 - 10:30 PM - 14.5 HOURS REMAINING

The Right to Bare Arms

Unfortunately, the Fort Worth branch of Uncle Albert's is closed for repairs. The security guard is happy to talk about it to relieve the boredom: "Some sort of new gadget they just got in from national. Put it on a Scrambler and tried it out. Whole car just blew up..."

Mark off 30 minutes and return to 292.


Get car repairs (80)
Shop for a new car (213)
Visit the AADA for information (319)
Leave Fort Worth (51)

Falselogic
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Hit the road!

Büge
08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Make tracks. Maybe you can pick up some powerups on the road.

Mogri
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Fort Worth is the Canada to Dallas's USA. Let's transform and roll out.

sraymonds
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
51 - 11:00 PM - 14 HOURS REMAINING

Hit the road

Before you leave town, you may want to rest for a while. If it is after 11pm, you can feel yourself getting sleepy.

If you want to check in for a few hour of shut-eye, turn to 185.
If you drive on anyway, turn to 390.

Falselogic
08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Seeing as it is not after 11! WE DRIVE!

Seven
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Sleep is for the weak! Drive!

Matchstick
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Clutch can sleep when he's dead.

Daikaiju
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Well if he falls asleep at the wheel, that's a certainty. Catch some ZZZs

sraymonds
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I forgot my book at work again, and I'm heading out to town until Monday, so Clutch Carson will pop some caffeine pills and keep driving. We'll see what hijinks he gets into when I get back.

sraymonds
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
390 - 11:00 PM - 14 HOURS REMAINING

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

You continue onward, but you feel yourself getting groggy. Until you stop for a nap, your Driver and Gunner skills will both be at -1. Turn to 239.

239 - 11:00 PM - 14 HOURS REMAINING

I'll still sleep when I'm dead.

You exit through the city gates.

If you would like to detour through Dallas and see what you can find there, turn to 77.
If you want to head north toward Oklahoma, turn to 111.

Falselogic
08-07-2012, 03:24 PM
OKLAHOMA, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.

kaisel
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
OKLAHOMA, here the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.

Matchstick
08-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Oklahoma! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF8QAeQm3ZM&t=5m15s)

Raven
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Detouring and doing side-quests seem to be a Good Thing in this story. Dallas.

Seven
08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Dallas, nothing good comes from going through Oklahoma.

Octopus Prime
08-09-2012, 04:10 AM
When you think of Oklahoma think of the rousing song, "Oklahoma" and not the less-rousing song, "Trail of Tears".

Daikaiju
08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
OH YES! WYOMING! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9t5_nelL_g)

sraymonds
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM
239 - 11:00 PM - 14 HOURS REMAINING

OKLAHOMA

The two parts of Texas 1 rejoin in the sleepy town of Denton. The rain is falling steadily now, and you see occasional sheets of lightning in the distance. Visibility is poor. You drive over a drige as you enter town; the creek below is swollen and turbulent.
Mark off another 30 minutes of driving time; it might have been less in good weather.
There is a truck stop here.

Stop (365)
Keep going (277)

Daikaiju
08-10-2012, 09:05 AM
¡Detente!
توقف!
Pare!
Стоп!
หยุด!
Hættu!
Ĉesu!

Falselogic
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
drive!

Büge
08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Haltzen!

kaisel
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Keep going, I need to see the terrible results of my stat spread that was picked dammit.

Matchstick
08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Go! Go! Go!

Seven
08-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Keep going, the only thing that could stop you is death.

Octopus Prime
08-11-2012, 03:31 AM
Keep going, the only thing that could stop you is death.

He is Clutch Carson.

No. It can not.

sraymonds
08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
277 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING

Keep going!

You are back on Texas 1, heading north. The storm is worse than ever. Lightning flashes almost constantly - a couple of times it's close enough to make you jump.
An especially strong flurry of rain hits you. You are blinded for a second, and a crosswind hits your car. Try your Control Roll. Roll one die. If the result is less than or equal to your Control Roll, nothing happens.
If you fail the roll, you go off the road. Your car takes 1 hit of general damage, and you spend 30 minutes maneuvering out of the ditch.

Turn to 176


Control is 4 (-1 for sleepiness), so I need a 3 or lower. Surprisingly, I rolled a 1, so we're good.

176 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING

Clutch lives his life a quarter mile at a time.

The sky is filled with weird, glowing light. Ahead of you, outlined by lightning flashes, you see a black cloud. It dips towards the earth, elongating and swaying like the trunk of an elephant. It's a tornado -- coming toward you!

Speed right for it and hope to punch through
Turn around and drive away, back down the road
Look for a cross-road and drive at right angles

Kirin
08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
a Right angle is the Right answer.
(a Left angle would also be acceptable, but sadly we weren't given that option.)

Falselogic
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Hell or high water or tornado Clutch swerves for no man or thing!

Drive through it!

Büge
08-22-2012, 08:50 PM
>Take a right

Seven
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I agree with Falselogic, Clutch Carson takes a right for no man (or tornado).

Speed right through it!

Matchstick
08-22-2012, 11:29 PM
>Take a right

Torzelbaum
08-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Clutch is a tough hombre, but even he doesn't mess with Mother Nature. Or Texas. Or Mother Nature in or around Texas.

CrossroadsSo he doesn't litter?

Daikaiju
08-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Crossroad. We barely managed the windshear earlier. Do not tempt Mr. Glitch!

Mogri
08-30-2012, 11:42 AM
If driving straight through doesn't work, then this is not a book fit for Clutch Carson.

sraymonds
08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
If driving straight through doesn't work, then this is not a book fit for Clutch Carson.

There wasn't an option to shoot bullets at the tornado.

284 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING

Crossroads!

Ahead of you you see a turnoff. You jerk the wheel and head for it. Try your Control Roll - roll 1 die.

Rolled a 2. Succeeded; turn to 331.


331 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING

RIGHT ANGLES

Through the lightning-shot blackness ou drive, the howl of the tornado torturing your ears. The drum of the rain is like gunfire on your roof. Then the drumming sound ceases for a second. The silence is shocking.
Then the rain hits you again. But you realize you have driven through an underpass! Frantically you slam into reverse and back under the concrete shelter.
Closer and closer the tornado comes. Random eddies of wind rock your car. Then the rocking dies down. The tornado has passed.
Turn to 167.


167 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING



You drive on, through the wreckage caused by the storm. The road is littered with trash.

Drive at normal speeds (55-60 mph), turn to 92
Drive like you're taking Ms. Daisy to the Piggly-Wiggly, (30 mph), turn to 141.


Yeah, I called y'all out.

Büge
08-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Drive carefully. Something's up.

Falselogic
08-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Isn't there an option to drive like a Clutch Carson? you know somewhere between 130-180 mph?

Gerad
08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Normal speed.

Seven
08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Man I really wanted to ride that tornado, for all we know it could have sent us straight to our destination like in the Wizard of Oz.

Drive at normal speeds.

Matchstick
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Full normal speed ahead or something.

Mogri
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Normal speed for a normal driver is half speed for Clutch Carson.

sraymonds
09-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Old Clutch is stuck dealing with end of fiscal year business for his employer.

Hopefully as soon as this is all done, Clutch can get back on the road and I can run a game of Mansions of Madness.

sraymonds
09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
92 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING
Normal speed


You don't have time to waste. At 60 miles her hour, you weave your way among rocks, tree-branches, and other less identifiable bits of jetsam left on the road by the storm. Try two Control Rolls.

Target number is 3.
First roll is 1.
Second is 3.

If you make them both, you have dodged everything the storm left on the road; turn to 28.
[/LIST]

28 - 11:30 PM - 13.5 HOURS REMAINING
Smooth ride all the way


Dodging and weaving, you make it through easily. After all, dodging tree-branches is no big deal when you're used to avoiding mines. Mark off 30 minutes and turn to 244.


244 - 12:00 AM - 13 HOURS REMAINING



According to your radio, storms are still raging over North Texas and most of Oklahoma. Looking at the destruction around you, you find that easy to believe.
Rounding a curve, your headlights show you a sight that freezes your blood. A huge tanker is lying on it's side, tumbled across the highway. Can you stop in time? Everything seems to slow to a crawl. Gently, now...brake firmly, don't stomp on them. There. Your front bumper strickes the truck's undercarriage with a tiny ting.
You pop the window down and inhale. No odors. Either the truck was empty, or the crash didn't penetrate the tank.

Investigate further? 192
Drive on? 386

Falselogic
09-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Investimigate!

Gerad
09-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Drive on. Clutch Carson has no time for investigating.

Nodal
09-26-2012, 02:31 PM
If we investigate that tanker it might EXPLODE!
Investigate

kaisel
09-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Investigate, it'll probably benefit us as much as the other stops.

Büge
09-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Investigate!

Seven
09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Investigate

Matchstick
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
It's a trap! Investigate.

sraymonds
09-27-2012, 10:45 AM
192 - 12:00 AM - 13 HOURS REMAINING

Invetigation in process

You step out of your car and walk around the huge 18-wheeler. The tanker has separated from the cab; the cab is still upright. The cab lights are on.
As you start toward the cab, you recognize the insignia. It's a Twoeagles truck -- part of your foe's oil empire!
Then the door opens, and a burly red-faced man steps out. His uniform carries the same insignia. "Well, took you long enough!" he growls. "Where are your tools?"
What will you do?

Attack immediately (268)
Explain that you just stopped to see if you could help (109)
Answer noncommittally (43)

Nodal
09-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Why did we step out of our car?! Clutch Carson, you fool!

Falselogic
09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
attack!

kaisel
09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Clutch was born to do this. Attack.

Mogri
09-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Answer that you stopped to help. It's the old Indy/Hitler situation all over again.

Büge
09-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, explain that you stopped to help. Maybe the next page will give you the opportunity to bash his head in with a lug wrench.

Nodal
09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Attack!

Seven
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Normally I would say that you try tricking the man since it could garner some info for the mission...but Clutch didn't max out his gunnery skills just to talk his way out of trouble.

Attack!

Matchstick
09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Attack immediately.

Gerad
09-28-2012, 05:29 AM
It's your foe! The book says so! Attack!

Daikaiju
09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Guys... the guns are attached to the car, which Clutch is currently NOT in.

ACT NORMAL

sraymonds
10-02-2012, 07:09 AM
268 - 12:00 AM - 13 HOURS REMAINING

FISTICUFFS

You bring up your fist and throw a solid punch at the red-faced driver. He staggers back and grunts in surprise. Then he throws a return punch. You duck under it and grapple with him before he can draw his gun.
Play this out as though it were a gunfight but instead of shooting, you are trying to punch your foe in the jaw.
You have already hit him once. If you can hit him again before he hits you twice, then you'll knock him out and win.

I can tell you right now that even with the -1 sleepy penalty, we're going to knock him out on our first attack.


I rolled a 1.

217 - 12:00 AM - 13 HOURS REMAINING

MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT

The first thing you take, of course, is the Two-eagles ID badge clipped to the driver's pocket. But you have to make this look like an ordinary robbery...so you search his pockets and cab of the truck. You end up with the driver's billfold and ID, $340 in cash, and a heavy single-shot pistol worth $200. You also find a six-pack of Road Hog Beer in the cab. Hmmmm...
You open three of the bottles, pour the contents liberally over the driver, and toss the empties back into the cab. Now, whatever he tells the Texas Rangers, they'll be a little less likely to believe him.
The truck was heavily armed.

Loot it! 68
Leave now. 386

Gerad
10-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Loot that truck, son.

Nodal
10-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Play this out as though it were a gunfight but instead of shooting, you are trying to punch your foe in the jaw. Best sentence. Loot it!

kaisel
10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Loot it!

Mogri
10-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Play this out as though it were a gunfight but instead of shooting, you are trying to loot the car.

This will be the new everything Clutch Carson does.