PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't find a Cyberpunk thread...so here's one.

Tiers in Rain
07-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Although some Cyberpunk has been discussed on other threads, I felt the genre deserved it's own thread. You must comply!

So what Cyberpunk authors or books have you enjoyed or are currently enjoying? I'm finally reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson after all these years and enjoying it immensely.

chud_666
07-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm reading Gibson's sprawl trilogy atm... on Mona Lisa Overdrive. In the before times Neuromancer was my fave book, but I hadn't read it in 20 years. I will get around to Snow Crash eventually. I also suggest The Difference Engine by Gibson n Sterling..!

Tiers in Rain
07-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Awesome choices - Gibson is the god of Cyberpunk. I haven't ready Difference Engine yet but have heard many good things. I may make my way to that one after Snow Crash. A lot of Stephenson's stuff is good.

Traumadore
07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
It's from the 60's and thus not quite cyberpunk, but if you can find a copy of the short story Riders of the Purple Wage you won't be disappointed. It's charming in it's pre-computing future vision. For instance everyone has a type of TV that is capable of broadcasting their own personal channel, which people use to teach, learn, and entertain, basically functioning like a TV based internet. It's a post-scarcity utopia that's ridiculous for its juxtaposition of unequaled culture and learning with unequaled laziness and entitlement. Also there's a federal agent searching for the last man in possession of money. It's pretty hilarious overall, and definitely scratches the same itch.

Sanagi
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I like Neal Stephenson but aside from Snow Crash, he always drives me away with the ridiculous amount of unnecessary detail he packs in to slow the plot down.

Abominable K
07-22-2012, 11:18 AM
If this was a real book it'd be my favorite cyberpunk work ever. (http://www.squelched.com/detail.jsp?num=1153)

chud_666
09-26-2012, 07:29 PM
So.

The Sprawl Trilogy

Neuromancer: one of the best scifi books ever? Prescient? Amazing? Yes.

Count Zero: Aimless, but still feels great.

Mona Lisa Overdrive: I hate this book.

Falselogic
09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Johnny Mnemonic is a good little short by Gibson. I'm reading Difference Engine right now though it appears to be more Steampunk than Cyberpunk...

chud_666
09-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Johnny Mnemonic is a good little short by Gibson. I'm reading Difference Engine right now though it appears to be more Steampunk than Cyberpunk...

I love DE - on par with Neuro IMO

Peach
09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm going to be a contrarian and say that Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is the greatest cyberpunk novel.

Matchstick
09-26-2012, 09:46 PM

It basically popularized Steampunk. I remember enjoying Difference Engine when I read it back in the day as well as Mona Lisa Overdrive, although the latter might be at least partially due to Survival Research Labs references.

MCBanjoMike
10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I've read too many William Gibson books and can no longer remember which one is which. The only one that really stands out is Virtual Light, which I read right after Neuromancer. Its tone was so much sillier that I wound up really liking it, although for some reason I don't think I have my copy any more. Some day I should go back and reread all those books again, see if I still enjoy them.

Tiers in Rain
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm reading Gibson's sprawl trilogy atm... on Mona Lisa Overdrive. In the before times Neuromancer was my fave book, but I hadn't read it in 20 years. I will get around to Snow Crash eventually. I also suggest The Difference Engine by Gibson n Sterling..!

Not to mention everything else by Sterling is excellent.

It's from the 60's and thus not quite cyberpunk, but if you can find a copy of the short story Riders of the Purple Wage you won't be disappointed. It's charming in it's pre-computing future vision. For instance everyone has a type of TV that is capable of broadcasting their own personal channel, which people use to teach, learn, and entertain, basically functioning like a TV based internet. It's a post-scarcity utopia that's ridiculous for its juxtaposition of unequaled culture and learning with unequaled laziness and entitlement. Also there's a federal agent searching for the last man in possession of money. It's pretty hilarious overall, and definitely scratches the same itch.

Will check this out, sounds intriguing. A lot of Philip K. Dick's work from the 60's I would also consider maybe Proto-Cyberpunk. You can definitely see its beginnings in works from that era.

I like Neal Stephenson but aside from Snow Crash, he always drives me away with the ridiculous amount of unnecessary detail he packs in to slow the plot down.

I actually don't like anything else by Stephenson. Only Snow Crash.

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is the greatest cyberpunk novel.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check this out.