PDA

View Full Version : The Official TT Metallica Thread

Issun
07-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I've been going through their catalog lately, and I know there're some other 'Tallica fans on here. So let's talk about them! Hate Load? Love St Anger? Here's the place to air your controversial (and not so controversial) opinions.

I always come to a crossroads on my favorite album. It's always a tie between Ride the Lightning and Load. But I have to give it to Load, because of the songwriting talent on display, and because of the sheer balls it took to release a record like this. Plus Hero of the Day. After One, it's my favorite Metallica song.

Issun
07-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Aaaand I managed to post this in the wrong forum. I guess move to sound waves when possible.

Odin
07-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Master of Puppets is my favorite by far. The title track is my personal favorite Metallica cut, and "Sanitarium" and "Orion" are as good as top shelf whiskey. I understand people who prefer the rawness of Kill 'Em All and for a while Ride the Lightning was my favorite, but as the play counts stacked up in iTunes, nevermind the spins the albums got before I went fully computer-digital, Puppets is my favorite.

It took time to grow on me, but Load is a damn fine album and doesn't deserve the hate and backlash that it received. As you said, "Hero of the Day" is such a great song. I'm also a fan of "Until it Sleeps" and "The House That Jack Built." The way they branched out musically added a lot of depth to the stripped down radio-friendly approach they took on the Black album. Reload, on the other hand, has very little to offer me.

Issun
07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Reload, on the other hand, has very little to offer me.

But... but Carpe Diem Baby and Fixxxer!

Honestly, the only album I don't have unabashed love for is St. Anger, and even it has some decent tracks.

Odin
07-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Nah, "Fuel" and "Low Man's Lyric" all the way. "Unforgiven II" grew on me - I really like the lyrics but I'm not sure I like the recycling of the riffs.

St. Anger had some good riffs. All of the tracks were ruined by going on for 6-8 minutes with no guitar solos, bass solos, or drum solos to break up the riffage and endless verse/chorus/verse/chorus/chorus/riff/chorus/riff/chorus pattern. I understand from watching "Some Kind of Monster" that they intentionally chose to not include guitar solos. That was a big mistake. I also don't like that James repeated himself from "Damage, Inc." to "St. Anger", changing just a couple words in the phrase.

Knight
07-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Ride the Lightning is my favorite, hands down. Both the album, and the song. After that would probably be Kill 'Em All, then Master of Puppets, and finally The Black Album. Aside from a song or two, I didn't really care for ...And Justice For All, and I haven't listened to enough of anything else they've done.

Also: GIMMIE DABAJABAZA (http://jameshetfieldsoundboard.com/)

Issun
07-24-2012, 12:43 AM
I also don't like that James repeated himself from "Damage, Inc." to "St. Anger", changing just a couple words in the phrase.

Wasn't that supposed to be a callback? Regardless, it was made moot five years later, when the boys made their ultimate callback (their FF9, if you will). Death Magnetic was basically a fusion of every album they'd done, from Kill to Anger and everything in between. Which made it one of the best, without it having a chance at being the best. Again, much like FF9.

Also: GIMMIE DABAJABAZA (http://jameshetfieldsoundboard.com/)

This is magical.

Sanagi
07-24-2012, 01:22 AM
I missed the chance to really appreciate this band before they became unlikeable(much like Guns 'N' Roses). But the great thing about Metallica, at their best, is they know that true heavy metal attitude comes not from speed or distortion but from tight, twitchy rhythmic cycles that never lose their sense of snake-like unpredictability no matter how many times you hear them.

Torzelbaum
07-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Ah... Metallica. One of the best argument starters in existence. By the way I will vehemently defend EVERYTHING they did before St. Anger. (But nothing from that point on.)

But... but Carpe Diem Baby and Fixxxer!

Nah, "Fuel" and "Low Man's Lyric" all the way.These fine gentlemen know what the hell is going on. Also I categorize Fuel as "music to drive fast to". (But obey traffic laws kids...)

shivam
07-24-2012, 02:22 AM
This thread was made for me.

Also, no s&m? Fail!
Next best is ride the lighting. I will have more when I'm not typing from my phone.

Paul le Fou
07-24-2012, 04:20 AM
I've always really liked S&M, perhaps better than any of the corresponding studio tracks. (Bonus: my parents finding my S&M cd, and my mom worriedly asking me if I was getting into anything weird or disturbing, before I even knew what actual S&M was)

I think I went between Master and Justice as my favorites back when I listened to them a lot, but Master is the one I (think I) remember more to this day.

TheSL
07-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Metallica is one of those bands where I really like a lot of their songs but I kind of hate them as a band. They put on a hell of a concert if you've got some organs to sell to be able to afford to see them, though.

Sir Sly Ry
07-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Well this is easy. Ride. Kill 'em All has some good tracks. Master has a few good tracks. Other than that, maybe a catchy tune from the black album, I don't really care for this band. Ride is easily the best and the only album I really enjoy as a whole. Admittedly I've not heard the full albums that came after the black one, just bits and pieces of them. But that was enough. Especially St. Anger I meant what the hell were they thinking with that production?

Serephine
07-24-2012, 07:20 AM
I've always really liked S&M, perhaps better than any of the corresponding studio tracks. (Bonus: my parents finding my S&M cd, and my mom worriedly asking me if I was getting into anything weird or disturbing, before I even knew what actual S&M was) I remember feeling really weird asking for S&M for Christmas since I was right at the age where I sort of kind of had an idea of what S&M also stood for. No weird questions ever popped up though thankfully.

These fine gentlemen know what the hell is going on. Also I categorize Fuel as "music to drive fast to". (But obey traffic laws kids...)
Creeping Death was the cause of my first automobile accident. :D Took a turn going way too fast because come on, its Creeping Death, and fishtailed into a tree. Luckily it was a tiny tiny tree so I did more damage to it than the car but man, that fucking song.

But... but Fixxxer!

Fixxxer is probably the best thing to come from the period after Black and before Death Magnetic, which I somehow, shockingly, actually enjoy.

Sir Sly Ry
07-24-2012, 07:24 AM
I also love how "Lulu" wasn't even included as an option.

Odin
07-24-2012, 09:30 AM
I've always really liked S&M, perhaps better than any of the corresponding studio tracks. (Bonus: my parents finding my S&M cd, and my mom worriedly asking me if I was getting into anything weird or disturbing, before I even knew what actual S&M was)

I agree for the most part. My highest played Metallica track in my iTunes library is the S&M version of "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Michael Kamen's orchestration added a lot to most of the tracks, particularly "The Outlaw Torn (unencumbered by manufacturing restrictions now with orchestra bits version)".

I'd listened to a little Metallica but it hadn't really caught me in high school. When I met my ex-wife in college, she said "I really like S&M" and I was all "WHA!?" because we'd just met. Then she explained she meant the Metallica album. The album was and is freaking amazing! It's definitely one of my favorites now.

Something I really appreciate about modern Metallica is how they release high-quality official bootlegs of every show for a reasonable price, and offer selected catalog shows in mp3 format for free. I plan on picking up the full set of the XXX Year shows at some point.

TheSL
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Something I really appreciate about modern Metallica is how they release high-quality official bootlegs of every show for a reasonable price, and offer selected catalog shows in mp3 format for free. I plan on picking up the full set of the XXX Year shows at some point.

Be careful with that because the quality varies wildly depending on the venue. Also, if you lose your connection for some reason in the middle of downloading you'll spend half a day on the phone with their bitchy IT guys (I speak from experience).

Odin
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Be careful with that because the quality varies wildly depending on the venue. Also, if you lose your connection for some reason in the middle of downloading you'll spend half a day on the phone with their bitchy IT guys (I speak from experience).

I will keep that in mind. The few shows I've taken the plunge on from the paid category have been quite nice. Not Iron Maiden "Live After Death" or Metallica "S&M" quality, but close.

Dampe
07-24-2012, 10:08 AM
I like some individual songs on other albums more than songs on Ride the Lightning, but the overall consistent quality on Ride make it my favorite, followed by ...And Justice for All (even with the crappy no bass mix).

Post Black Album (which I think is pretty great), I like the song Hero of the Day and that's about it.

Issun
07-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I also love how "Lulu" wasn't even included as an option.

Lulu is more a Lou Reed album than a Metallica album, though. Plus, y'know, only ten spots, which is why S&M isn't on there.

The Raider Dr. Jones
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
somewhere on another board I used to hang out on there was a macro, a photo of Cliff Burton with the caption IT SHOULDA BEEN LARS

because seriously if that fucking asshole bus had landed on Lars instead just think what might have been.

anyway, I love Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, and some of the stuff on Live Shit, then I sorta tune out.

TheSL
07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
because seriously if that fucking asshole bus had landed on Lars instead just think what might have been.

Maybe you could hear the rest of the song over the drums in their mixes!

The Raider Dr. Jones
07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
For Whom The Bell Tolls, 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Y04V9ZOhI

shivam
07-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I actually really love Load/Reload, simply because Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are the two best metallica songs ever written, and i have a lot of personal affection for that most hated tune, mama said.

But for sheer pound for pound power, how can you beat ride the lightning? It has for whom the bell tolls AND creeping death! Incidentally, the version of creeping death from live shit is the single best song in metallica's entire history.

But S&M, man. I remember having the tickets just sell out before i got to the desk, and my mom giving away her tickets that she won from her office because she didnt think i cared. But that album was just epic in so many ways, and it represents them at their peak.

The Raider Dr. Jones
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
The best Creeping Death video is this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arL04K3HLMw

also, since it hasn't come up yet, Garage, Inc.: I like the cuts on that one in roughly inverse proportion to how seriously the band seems to be taking them. So, for instance, "Turn the Page" is godawfully overblown, and "So What" is hilarious fun. Maybe this says more about my puerile sense of humor than anything though.

Issun
07-24-2012, 12:46 PM
also, since it hasn't come up yet, Garage, Inc.: I like the cuts on that one in roughly inverse proportion to how seriously the band seems to be taking them. So, for instance, "Turn the Page" is godawfully overblown, and "So What" is hilarious fun. Maybe this says more about my puerile sense of humor than anything though.

To be fair, the Bob Seger original took itself way seriously, too.

My favorite of all their covers is Astronomy. Not to knock BOC, but the difference between the cover and the original can be sumed up thusly:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee89/issunbug/prince1-1.jpg

The cover I most want to hear Metallica do is Death on Two Legs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffiZPD6Quos) because holy crap can you hear the influence that song had on a young James Hetfield. Really, Het's vocal stylings post Puppets are pretty much Freddie Mercury meets George Thorogood with a smattering of Glenn Danzig.

shivam
07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
ASTRONOMY!
yes. that cover is so good.

Mara
07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
S&M.

Also, Metallica.

I really don't care for much of their recent stuff, though.

valhalladeath
07-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Incidentally, the version of creeping death from live shit is the single best song in metallica's entire history.

YES! I whole-heartedly approve of this statement.

Also, I would be interested in how peoples view of St. Anger would change if it had a decent mix. The drum mix was one of the worst, if not the worst, I have ever heard. I really enjoyed a lot of that album, but it's almost as if Metallica was daring you to. The pinging snare drum of St. Anger haunts my dreams.

Torzelbaum
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM
i have a lot of personal affection for that most hated tune, mama said.

But for sheer pound for pound power, how can you beat ride the lightning? It has for whom the bell tolls AND creeping death!I feel the same way about Mama Said. I also can't argue with your statement about Ride the Lightning.

shivam
07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
YES! I whole-heartedly approve of this statement.

Also, I would be interested in how peoples view of St. Anger would change if it had a decent mix. The drum mix was one of the worst, if not the worst, I have ever heard. I really enjoyed a lot of that album, but it's almost as if Metallica was daring you to. The pinging snare drum of St. Anger haunts my dreams.

So I saw metallica twice on the st. anger tour, the first show and the last, as it turned out. In the beginning, the songs were clanky and pretty much garbage, out of tune and just bad. after a year and a half of touring on them, they were actually awesome, and proves the point that metallica live is really the only way to listen. Frantic and All Within My Hands were shining stars, especially.

taosterman
07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Looks like I'm the lone And Justice for All supporter so far. But my knowledge of the band's discography is far from comprehensive.

Sir Sly Ry
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I can't stand AJFA. Last time I listened to it I said it would be the last time I listen to it. It's so fucking boring and the production only makes it worse.

But hey, that's me.

Odin
07-25-2012, 12:48 AM
ASTRONOMY!
yes. that cover is so good.

\m/ It's damn good, but the difference between the BOC original and Metallica's cover is not as extreme as depicted elsewhere in this thread.

My personal favorite cover is "Am I Evil?" simply because it (and their other 3 DH covers) lead to me discovering Diamond Head. Plus the 17-member jam of it at the Big 4 show in Sophia is one of the best moments in Metal history, even if they should have kicked Lars off the drum throne and let a real drummer play.

And mine. They had some good lyrics. They had a LOT of great riffs. My problem (besides the mix, which is 99% of the listeners' issue) is they played the riffs into the ground. A better album would have mixed it up a little more - a solo here, a pause there, an extended bridge there. I'm a big fan of long songs. I'm an even bigger fan of progressive songs, as everyone in the main metal thread knows. These songs bored me to death after 3 minutes because there was no variety in them.

Looks like I'm the lone And Justice for All supporter so far. But my knowledge of the band's discography is far from comprehensive.

AJFA is a great album* with some of the best songs Metallica has ever written (One, the title track, Frayed Ends of Sanity, To Live Is To Die) ruined by a mix that ranks down with St. Anger in the history of audio engineering and mixing. I'm amazed how twice in their career, Metallica has managed to go into the studio to record their best efforts, representing months of songwriting and the prowess they've displayed after months and months of putting on some of the best live shows, only to approve a shitty mix and release it into the world.

*see above where I say how much I love progressive music.

taosterman
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
I've become less of a stickler about production over the years (except modern dynamic compression horseshit) so the mix on AJFA doesn't bother me much. I just love that the songs are long and proggy.

TK Flash
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
I voted for Kill em All but my favorite songs are outlaw torn and bleeding me. I also love 2x4.
As for reload, where the wild things are is also a favorite.

Mara
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
outlaw torn and bleeding me
Yes!

Also "Nothing Else Matters."

Stephen
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I voted for RtL. It's the only Metallica album that still gets airtime in my car.

I loved them when I was younger, but I as got deeper and deeper into metal I came to the conclusion that they were some pretty good thrashers that turned into some mediocre hard rockers that turned into some out-of-touch middle-aged guys making really shitty metal. I will always have love for Garage Inc, though. It was a fantastic way to introduce young metal heads (like my 17 year old self) to classic bands that deserved more attention like Diamond Head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rkDV7EGPo), Killing Joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7WPI4TJImo), Budgie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg), and Discharge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9v6AM1hUk).

Meditative_Zebra
07-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I think I may be one of the very few people who don't think much of Metallica but is quite fond of Megadeth. Though with both bands I don't really care that much for their work once they changed their sound in the 90s to appeal to more mainstream listeners.

I think I would like Metallica's albums from the 80's a lot better if the production wasn't universally terrible.

Sir Sly Ry
07-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I think I would like Metallica's albums from the 80's a lot better if the production wasn't universally terrible.
Have you heard Ride the Lightning? That production is awesome. It's raw, it has energy. It kicks ass. Now I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but the production on St. Anger is total bullshit. It might be more ridiculous than the AJFA production. When I heard a song from St. Anger I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not.

Meditative_Zebra
07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
It's been a while since I listened to any of them but I recall that ...And Justice for All was the worst offender but that all of those early records sounded really thin. The drums came through kind of papery and that the bass had no depth.

Sir Sly Ry
07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, checking out the albums again real quick, AJFA has really thin production except for the drums apparently. Ride isn't exactly meaty but I wouldn't call it thin. Master seems to have a bit more low end in the production but it also lacks the raw energy of Ride. Ain't sayin' Rides production is perfect but I think it's the best out of the first four albums at least.

Odin
07-26-2012, 12:37 AM
I voted for RtL. It's the only Metallica album that still gets airtime in my car.

I loved them when I was younger, but I as got deeper and deeper into metal I came to the conclusion that they were some pretty good thrashers that turned into some mediocre hard rockers that turned into some out-of-touch middle-aged guys making really shitty metal. I will always have love for Garage Inc, though. It was a fantastic way to introduce young metal heads (like my 17 year old self) to classic bands that deserved more attention like Diamond Head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rkDV7EGPo), Killing Joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7WPI4TJImo), Budgie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg), and Discharge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9v6AM1hUk).

Diamond Head and Budgie FTW!!! \m/ \m/ Metallica is one of the best cover bands I've ever heard - they do the songs enough justice I seek out the originals and keep listening! I disagree with the "mediocre hard rockers" comment. The Black Album and Load are great albums. St. Anger was just crap, I'll give you that.

Well, checking out the albums again real quick, AJFA has really thin production except for the drums apparently. Ride isn't exactly meaty but I wouldn't call it thin. Master seems to have a bit more low end in the production but it also lacks the raw energy of Ride. Ain't sayin' Rides production is perfect but I think it's the best out of the first four albums at least.

I prefer Master's production but I agree that Ride is rawer and has more energy. AJFA has no bass but it's still light years ahead of the dynamically compressed drums from Hell with bonus crappy guitar sounds that is St. Anger. Now I don't see you talking about the production of Metallica but I think it filled out the soundscape quite nicely.

shivam
07-26-2012, 01:00 AM
to be fair, i've seen metallica live like a dozen times, so i'm basing my choice entirely on how songs sound live, and i'm always surprised when i relisten to an album and it isn't as good. metallica didn't know how to sing back then. het sounds so much better with a mature voice.

Odin
07-26-2012, 01:13 AM
to be fair, i've seen metallica live like a dozen times, so i'm basing my choice entirely on how songs sound live, and i'm always surprised when i relisten to an album and it isn't as good. metallica didn't know how to sing back then. het sounds so much better with a mature voice.

Agreed, even though it means I have to downtune my guitars to play along.

Also Lars didn't know how to drum back then. He didn't even take real lessons until Metallica if I recall Mick Wall's biography correctly.

TK Flash
07-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Funny, when I saw Metallica on the world magnetic tour in Saitama Super Arena, Lars fucked up the machine guns on One. That's like the most important part!

valhalladeath
07-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I love Metallica. I am listening to the Black Album as I am writing this and it is one of the most perfect albums ever made. Beginning to end, great songs, great riffs, and great production. It helps that this was the soundtrack to many great times back in college. So great--one of my favorite albums of all time (The top spot rotates between 4 or 5 albums, but this is one of them.) I can't say that there has been a Metallica album I haven't enjoyed, but the Black Album just does it for me.

Voncaster
07-28-2012, 12:17 PM

+1 for And Justice for All

After that I like Kill em' All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Garage Days Inc.

Issun
07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
In all this, we must not forget: the worst Metallica song is still better than, say, the best Limp Bizkit song.

taosterman
07-30-2012, 11:36 PM
In all this, we must not forget: the worst Metallica song is still better than, say, the best Limp Bizkit song.

That's such a low bar that I'd even say that about, like, the worst Lionel Richie song.

(Lionel Richie reference successfully inserted into Metallica thread!)

Issun
07-30-2012, 11:44 PM
That's such a low bar that I'd even say that about, like, the worst Lionel Richie song.

(Lionel Richie reference successfully inserted into Metallica thread!)

I was originally going to go with Nickelback, but then I was like "Issun, this is your favorite band. Let's at least compare them to a band where at least one member has some talent".

I'm talking about Wes Borland, if you hadn't guessed.

Odin
07-31-2012, 12:34 AM

I tried to think of an argument to counter this, but since I know like 2 Limp Bizkit songs, and regardless of shit production St. Anger at least had good riffs. That's better than Limp Bizkit - with the exception of their take on the Mission Impossible theme, but they didn't write that riff, so it doesn't count.

Having listened to some more Reload, "Where the Wild Things Are" is pretty decent, but "Fixxxer" just isn't my cup of Metallica-brand whiskey. It's a decent song but does not speak to the Metallica part of my soul. Now on Death Magnetic, "The Day That Never Come" and "All Nightmare Long" rock my socks off.

Issun
08-03-2012, 09:30 AM
James Hetfield is 49 today.

rkdn42
12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Infographic on what songs Metallica has played live 1982-2011 (http://cilekagaci.com/2011/11/30/metallica-on-stage/)

(It says through 2012 for some reason, though it was created in 2011.)

The Raider Dr. Jones
12-08-2012, 08:17 PM
A set of raw data to browse on the same topic is here:

http://www.metallica.com/song_list.asp?sorting=1&sortdir=2&sortby=s.times_performed

I like the section of stuff they've only done once or twice (mainly odd covers). "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"!

it makes me sad, though, to look at the dates and know that Cliff Burton never played "Orion" live.

Daneno
12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
I'll admit I voted for Reload. I know it wasn't their best album, but it has some of my favorite songs.

What I want to know: is there anyone who could honestly, having listened to every Metallica album, vote for Garage Inc.? I admit I may be bitter, Garage Inc. being the first Metallica album I bought with my own money rather than borrowing it from my brothers.

shivam
12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
A set of raw data to browse on the same topic is here:

http://www.metallica.com/song_list.asp?sorting=1&sortdir=2&sortby=s.times_performed

I like the section of stuff they've only done once or twice (mainly odd covers). "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"!

it makes me sad, though, to look at the dates and know that Cliff Burton never played "Orion" live.

Veteran of the Psychic Wars was played live at the bridge school show, and it was easily one of the best metallica sets i've seen.

TK Flash
10-16-2014, 10:32 PM
So I listened to Lords of Summer like 3 months late, and I guess they made a Dio tribute track, but I just can't get into either of them. The only part I like of the demo is the mid-tempo groove in the middle and the Dio track is like compressed exhaustion. The Rainbow original feels gigantic and rich, while the Metallica one sounds choked and cookie-cutter. It's like they ran the whole thing through the Metallica Tool in ProTools.

Am I Too Damn Old or do these songs kinda suck

shivam
10-16-2014, 10:34 PM
It's not their best, no.

TK Flash
10-16-2014, 10:38 PM
I really love the tone on the demos! The guitars sound like guitars, not Computer Guitars! James sounds like a dude who is working his ass off and he sounds great! I can't hear Rob!

The guitar solo is some 6th-grade tribute band level shit and the drums are Lars.

I would love to have a full album with that tone, but with better ideas.

Mokrap of Croton
10-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Yes to all of that

I will add that S&M was a staple for my teammates and I when I was a teenager as pregame warmup music. That shit made suiting up for high school football games feel like motherfucking Thunderdome and the Battle of the Black Gate all at once.

Mokrap of Croton
10-17-2014, 11:00 PM
hey for real tho SLEYARRRRR

/srs

shivam
10-18-2014, 08:23 AM
S&M is one of my favorite albums of all time, and just missing out on tickets is the worst regret of my life.

TK Flash
01-22-2015, 04:48 AM
I love this shit.

lU-UI3_6HcM

The Raider Dr. Jones
09-27-2015, 09:20 PM
9/27 never forget

qdlQyNe_9tE

shivam
09-27-2015, 09:35 PM
I cherish my Russian bootleg vhs copy of that film. It's entirely dubbed over by a dude yelling in Russian. Fucking metal as hell

The Raider Dr. Jones
09-26-2016, 10:07 PM
it is once again the day

the day it should have been lars

iztRE6ARnDA

Issun
09-26-2016, 11:22 PM
GdtfcOlr0tk

shivam
09-27-2016, 12:47 AM
The new single came out today and holy shit it's good.

TK Flash
09-27-2016, 12:55 AM
No link?

balder the brave
09-27-2016, 04:08 PM
The new single came out today and holy shit it's good.

Agreed!

zkLzCR-aVtk

Issun
09-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Man, they're looking long in the tooth. And I always forget Jimmy doesn't have the same charisma when he doesn't have a crowd to play to.

Great song though.

shivam
09-27-2016, 05:50 PM
No link?

sorry, it was from my phone.

TK Flash
09-27-2016, 05:58 PM
I think the new song is better than what we heard on DM and obviously SA but I don't think the thrash Metallica sound does anything for me anymore. My tastes have definitely shifted over to the groove sound they had in the mid-90s.

Alex Scott
09-30-2016, 07:27 PM
So I had the Black Album, Load, and Reload as a teenager, and was a pretty big fan at the time. I picked up the first based on an old AMV of Vampire Hunter D set to "Nothing Else Matters." Unfortunately, I never got around to listening to any of their older stuff, and a drawn out experience in college made me never want to listen to Metallica again.

That experience was going to the rec room in the university center and hearing "Whiskey in the Jar" from the jukebox every single friggin time as if Metallica had never released another song.

But now, thanks to that video of those kids jamming to Metallica that's been going around, I've been listening to their catalogue on Spotify. I'm up to Garage Inc, which has a few demerits taken off already thanks to "Whiskey," but is otherwise pretty great. Their older thrash albums are a complete revelation, and I finally understand how the Black Album and Load could have been so divisive at the time. I'll have to listen to the older albums again to really decide which I like best.

All I can really say for right now is that I think I prefer Load to Reload.

Matchstick
09-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Their older thrash albums are a complete revelation, and I finally understand how the Black Album and Load could have been so divisive at the time.

Hell, there were metalheads at the time that lost their minds with outrage when they released a video for One if that gives you an idea of how betrayed they ended up feeling when the Black Album came out (n.b. I was not one of those people in either of those cases).

I liked the previous single pretty well, but this is much better on first blush. I liked Death Magnetic okay, although the production is a fucking travesty.

Issun
09-30-2016, 09:22 PM
I also remember hearing about how Green Day fans accused the band of selling out when they made a studio album. Much like angry gamerz today, punks and metalheads in the 80s and 90s had their insular community and any hint at it going mainstream made them feel like they were losing their precious secret group and sent them into crazy mode.

It's a good thing Twitter and Reddit did not exist back then.

Alex Scott
10-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Just finished S&M.

https://frinkiac.com/gif/S07E11/243926/245377.gif?b64lines=

Good album.

shivam
10-07-2016, 10:17 AM
S&M is phenomenal, and still holds up today. Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are just fucking epic, magnificent songs, and i'm so glad they made those two the peaks of each half.

TK Flash
10-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Strange to think the two best songs of their 90s output seem to have gone all but forgotten.

I never bought S&M because I wanted them to make a new album by that point. When they finally did, my interest in the band had mostly lapsed. Death Magnetic then came out what felt like a lifetime later (to put it in perspective, SA came out senior year of high school, DM came out my second year at my first job after college) and was mixed to absolute shit with awful drumming. What I've heard of the album so far has me hopeful though, so I'll be there day one.

TK Flash
11-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Live metallica chat on youtube in 45 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi1JPVJolsw

TK Flash
11-22-2016, 08:39 AM
new albums pretty good

shivam
11-22-2016, 03:02 PM
i really like it. Atlas Rise and Moth into a Flame are great tracks. there are a few duds, but there always are.

Thraeg
11-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Atlas Rise and Moth into a Flame are great tracks. there are a few duds, but there always are.

Agreed. Also impressed with Spit out the Bone. The rest haven't made much impression yet, but I'm willing to give them a bit more time. Probably would have been better as a single album with a couple of the weaker tracks cut, and unlikely to make my year-end list, but solidly enjoyable overall.

Issun
02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
So I've had Hardwired laying around since Christmas, waiting for me to listen to it. I decided today, though, to listen to all of Metallica's previous oeuvre before this album.

Man, I never realized how drastic an improvement Ride the Lightning was over Kill 'Em All in every category. I mean, I "knew", but I didn't know.

shivam
02-13-2017, 09:07 PM
yeah, seriously, Kill em All is a great start, but holy shit does it show that it was the first album of a bunch of teens. Doesn't hold up at all on the disc, though when played live these days they're still powerful. I guess that's what thirty years of practice will get you =)

TK Flash
02-13-2017, 09:46 PM
I don't think we've heard the same Kill Em All.