PDA

View Full Version : The Live Experience

rkdn42
08-08-2012, 02:42 PM
What live musical acts are you going to soon and what ones have you been to that you've enjoyed?

What awesome bands do you recommend seeing their live shows? Who's touring now worth seeing?

Tomorrow night I'm seeing Weird Al Yankovic for the third time. The first two times I saw him at the California State Fair, so this will be the first time I'm seeing him at a regular venue.

Next month I'll be seeing Buckethead (1st time) and Blues Traveler (2nd time).

Late last year I saw Blue Man Group. They were a lot of fun.

I've seen They Might Be Giants four times. They always put on a great show.

TheSL
08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
You might as well take the next day off if you're going to Buckethead in the middle of the week. He'll jam until they kick him out of the venue in my experience.

shivam
08-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Metallica puts on one of the best shows i've ever seen, just in terms of enthusiasm and energy. I'm actually spending the weekend going to the Outside Lands (http://www.sfoutsidelands.com/home/) festival, which should be crazy.

Adam
08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I thought it said "They Live Experience" :(

Little Sampson
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
In the past year, I've been to two concerts: The National (with Owen Pallett) and St. Vincent (with Shearwater). The National were great, but I saw them in a fancy theater which meant lots of people sitting down and being boring. St. Vincent was in a tiny club and was completely amazing.

Seeing David Byrne and St. Vincent in October. Very excited.

Klatrymadon
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Primordial (http://www.primordialweb.com/) are doing a tour of the US in September. I saw them earlier this year and they were bloody brilliant, so do check 'em out if they're in your neck of the woods!

Matchstick
08-08-2012, 08:55 PM
You might as well take the next day off if you're going to Buckethead in the middle of the week. He'll jam until they kick him out of the venue in my experience.

True 'dat. It will probably be one of the weirdest shows you've ever been to as well. For me, it was only surpassed by The Residents show I went to.

Alastor
08-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Muse put on the best live show I've seen by a country mile. But then that's kind of what they're known for.

Beyond that, MCR put on a fantastic rock opera when The Black Parade debuted. I'll remember that one for years to come. I actually got into Rise Against after they opened that night, and they're still one of the strongest live performances I've seen.

Most recently, I saw Thrice for the third time (yeah, yeah, saw 'em thrice), and they were excellent. Dustin Kensrue has lost none of his frontman power and charisma over the years. Incredibly energetic show.

Odin
08-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Iron Maiden puts on a hell of a live show. The pit tickets are totally worth it, and the fans don't mosh - they just rock out to the band. I saw them for the second time 3 weeks ago and it was the best concert I've been to. Ever.

I'll be seeing Rush and Nightwish next month. It will be my first time seeing each band, and I can't wait!

I've also caught Anthrax, Coheed & Cambria, Megadeth, and the Mayhem tour this year. All good shows, but if I had to pick one to follow the Maiden show it would be Coheed & Cambria. Great straight up rock and roll show, with music in the vein of progressive rock. While Alice Cooper was a fantastic opener for Maiden, out west Co&Ca are opening for Iron Maiden and I can't even imagine how great a show that could be.

taosterman
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm not nearly as raving of a They Might Be Giants fan as I was in high school, but I've seen them nine times now, most recently in January to celebrate my last day at the newspaper, and would gladly see them again. It feels like they offer something new every time.

Also high on my list are Ted Leo (five times) and Yo La Tengo (three times).

Shagohod
08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Rammstein.

That's all that needs to be said.

Mint
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
I saw Black Dice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLgnymvtRo&feature=fvwrel) a few months ago.

Other than the fact that they started half an hour late, it was an excellent show. The entire set was blended into one long piece, with trippy videos projected onto the band.

TheGangstagnome
08-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Back in April I hit a metal tour called Paganfest when it stopped in Detroit. It was headlined by a lot of relatively-big-name folk metal bands, but one of the opening acts was Huntress (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2uQBJre9o) and they were, in my opinion, the best band of the night. I hadn't heard of them before the tour was announced, but I left with a new favourite band on my List of Favourite Bands. The music was incredible and the performance was spot-on. They didn't have a stage show, but they have stage presence like you wouldn't believe and they're really nice people off-stage.

Also, gotta go with Odin on the Iron Maiden front. Saw them last month and it was killer. They played a festival in a little town in Canada so tickets were only, like, $80 and we were right in front of the stage. 'Course, we had to get there at 2 in the afternoon, but it was worth it. I walked out with a guitar pick and a sunburn.

Olli T
08-24-2012, 12:23 AM
I saw Ice Cube last weekend and it was honestly one of the best gigs I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few. The only problem was that it was only a one hour set due to scheduling (and Cube himself said that he would have had a lot more material left).

Nucular
08-24-2012, 01:58 AM
I just got back from seeing The Protomen live. Their set was fucking phenomenal and they're all hugely talented and know how to work the crowd.

I did learn a valuable lesson about skipping the opening bands though. The ones that opened were so terrible we thought that they might be sucking on purpose as some sort of sick joke.

BEAT
08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I wrote a shit ton of words about my experiences at the nerdapalooza aftershow over here (http://www.talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=1382348&postcount=2)

StriderDL
09-06-2012, 06:38 AM
This year I have seen:
Gotye - super awesome, you may hate that single but the guy puts on a hell of a show and I love all his stuff.
Bombay Bicycle Club - fantastic
Sharon van Etten (with Shearwater) - She was pretty good but I was really there for Shearwater.
Active Child - HARP! Very mellow, but HARP!
The Black Keys - fantastic
Wilco - fantastic
Radiohead - fantastic

In the remaining part of the year I will be seeing:
Wye Oak - Seen them open for The National, great indie folky rock duo.
Lord Huron - More indie folky outta Michigan.
Pinback

I am considering seeing:
Bon Iver
Jens Lenkman
Miike Snow
Yeasayer
Japandroids (more a question of will I still be living here in December)
Nada Surf (same as above)

I'd go to all of them, but the monies, I need to conserve them.

Zarathustra
09-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Seeing Swans on their last tour was pretty intense.

Mint
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I have tickets to go see Animal Collective this month. Pretty stoked on that.

rkdn42
09-10-2012, 02:06 AM

True 'dat. It will probably be one of the weirdest shows you've ever been to as well. For me, it was only surpassed by The Residents show I went to.

Well, it did have some weirdness, but it was a short show. He only played 1 hour 15 minutes. It was still pretty awesome.

StriderDL
09-25-2012, 06:34 AM
UPDATES

Bon Iver was pretty good, but Radio City Music Hall was better (http://www.youtube.com/thebowerypresents).

Wye Oak, as predicted, was great. Check out Civilian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvr0FkE_iq8) or Holy Holy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmjMFPSLXI4). Go on, I'll wait.

Super excited for Lord Huron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rzME0DSARE&list=PLACAD1B6639125533&index=3&feature=plpp_video) in two weeks.

Cyrael
10-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Minus The Bear is coming to SLC in just a month, and I will be there no matter what.

Aside from that, I'm trying to decide if I want to go see Tegan and Sara when they come with the Killers.

dhawks
10-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Saw Metric last night. It was very energetic, which I always appreciate. Emily Haines sounded great, and my wife and I agreed that she has really nice legs!

Mint
10-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Forgot to post about it, but Animal Collective put on a great show. Flying Lotus was one of the opening acts and he was incredible also.

taosterman
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Saw David Byrne and St. Vincent perform together in San Francisco last night. The full brass band choreography was entertaining, and St. Vincent really knows how to shimmy with a guitar and high heels. The setlist was the entirety of their recent collaborative album mixed with some highlights from each artist's oevre (Burning Down the House, Road to Nowhere and Like Humans Do for Byrne; Cheerleader, Northern Lights and Marrow for St. Vincent).

taosterman
12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Saw the Tragically Hip at the Fillmore last night. There were hockey jerseys everywhere and I got properly schnockered on Yukon Jack (which fucking sucks). Nadia actually got me into these guys like 15 years ago, serving her duty as IRC #megaman Canadian cultural ambassador. It was one of the best shows I've seen in years.

Matchstick
12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Saw the Tragically Hip at the Fillmore last night. There were hockey jerseys everywhere and I got properly schnockered on Yukon Jack (which fucking sucks). Nadia actually got me into these guys like 15 years ago, serving her duty as IRC #megaman Canadian cultural ambassador. It was one of the best shows I've seen in years.

I haven't seen the Hip since the Fully Completely tour. :/

shivam
01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I saw Trombone Shorty last night. He is so fucking good at his craft, and easily the best horn player of this generation, on the level of the Marsailis brothers or the Jazz greats.

The party was funky as fuck, and pure new orleans street jazz. goddamned beautiful.

CaptBlasto
01-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I saw Trombone Shorty last night. He is so fucking good at his craft, and easily the best horn player of this generation, on the level of the Marsailis brothers or the Jazz greats.

The party was funky as fuck, and pure new orleans street jazz. goddamned beautiful.

Wow. I am incredibly jealous! I saw Trombone Shorty about a year ago, and it easily was the best concert experience I have ever had. His energy on stage just feeds into the crowd and his band, and his talent level is astounding.

shivam
01-01-2013, 11:38 AM
yeah, i saw him at new years last year too, and have basically resolved that i'll see him wherever he is if its within 100 mi.

Matchstick
01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Last Thursday I saw Killswitch Engage with Jesse Leach playing all of Alive or Just Breathing. It was awesome although, strangely enough, they didn't do an encore. Shadows Fall was also there and killed as well.

taosterman
01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
This is a question primarily for ravinoff, and I know the answer will be "yes," but I'm opening it up to the forum in general.

Man or Astroman are playing in SF in May. Should I 1) get into them and 2) go see them?

Also: Seeing Ben Folds Five tomorrow!!

Violentvixen
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Seeing Muse on Thursday! Fourth time I've seen them and every time they get more awesome.

Hopefully the Twilight idiots have reduced in number this time...

Tavir
01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
I just saw them on Monday and can confirm that they were indeed awesome! I wished they had reached a bit deeper into their catalog or played a few more older, non-single songs, but it was still a fantastic show full of great energy and awesome visuals (I was particularly amused by the visuals during Panic Station, I won't spoil it, and it's not anything huge, but it was amusing to me nonetheless).

Alixsar
01-31-2013, 12:41 AM
In case you were ever wondering if you should see The Flaming Lips live:

The answer (http://www.flaminglips.com/media/cdn/p/2597_13_01_07_115135.jpg) is (http://www.flaminglips.com/media/cdn/p/2581_13_01_06_230303.jpg) yes. (http://www.flaminglips.com/media/cdn/p/2581_13_01_06_230403.jpg)

They randomly uploaded these to their website this month, and it was from a concert I went to two years ago. And it was fucking sweet.

John
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Nine Inch Nails will most likely be touring sometime in 2013, and the latest news is Adrian Belew from King Crimson will be the guitarist. He doesn't really look the part of Trent's touring guitarist, but he's done a ton of studio work with him in the past. Will definitely be a different take on a live NIN show.

If any of you get the chance to see NIN live, take it. Aside from the NIN|JA tour with Jane's Addiction, every show I've seen has been fantastic. Trent certainly knows how to do lighting rigs, even if he can't write a chorus that's more than one line.

taosterman
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Also: Seeing Ben Folds Five tomorrow!!

He had the house lights on the whole time so the concert could be webcast. To the audience, this meant: It's cocktail hour! Let's talk! :D :D :D

I kind of hate the Warfield. All of the draconian restrictions of an arena-sized venue, except it's a mid-sized club in the shittiest part of San Francisco.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Oh man I saw Dropkick Murphys tonight. It was an amazing show, they played for nearly two hours. A lot off their new albums, but some deep cuts too AMAZING energy band and even the opening act was decent.

But man if you want to be reminded that you're no longer sixteen, just spend most of your night in a mosh pit.

My only complaint is they barely played anything from Meanest Of Times. Which is my favorite of their albums.

taosterman
03-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I just found out that Sparks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJ_ifjKopM) are playing in San Francisco in two weeks. I snapped up a ticket almost instantaneously.

taosterman
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Seeing Ghostface tonight! I didn't know about this show before last weekend. This makes me 2 out of 9 (and a possible 8 ...) for Wu-Tang solo live shows, first one being GZA in 2005.

BEAT
04-25-2013, 07:25 AM
MAN Laura Stephenson and The Cans is awesome live.

Have some fucking awful phone pictures.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIqRCoyCIAAkgJl.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIqSIfjCYAEbjPP.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIqg9dQCcAEYugJ.jpg

It is difficult for me to describe how much I love this band. It was such a joy to see them live. Laura's voice and the way she writes is nothing short of amazing.

And this weekend I get to see MC Wreckshin! Man I love that dude.

And then on May 1st, JAY THOLEN! I am so excited about that one it's stupid.

It's a good week to be BEAT.

Little Sampson
04-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah, I meant to ask you about that.

Also, still totally jealous.

rurik
04-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Went to see Crystal Castles last night and they were killer! There was like, an hour wait between them and the opening act, but that might be a thing with them, as I'm pretty sure the same thing happened last time I saw them.

A really nice selection of songs from all three of their albums, a psychotic light show and all the little live flourishes were fantastic. They sound great with live drums! I think this show kept my attention better than any other? It was a dense 80 minute performance.

And I got 3 streetpasses too! Yeah!!

Wheels
04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Saw Green Day live (5th time) recently and had a blast.

Was a bit worried Billy would be less energetic after the rehab but the opposite proved to be the case. The only problem with the show is they didn't play enough of their new stuff for me. Granted they played 8 new songs, which would be pretty good for one album but certainly not enough when they released THREE. Still very good show, they played some random old songs you wouldn't normally hear. Certainly hope they come around again some time soon.

taosterman
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Seeing Ghostface tonight! I didn't know about this show before last weekend. This makes me 2 out of 9 (and a possible 8 ...) for Wu-Tang solo live shows, first one being GZA in 2005.

Never posted about this. He asked if anyone in the audience knew ODB's verse from Protect Ya Neck. They pulled a redheaded white guy on stage, who proceeded to take a selfie of himself with Ghostface, then tweeted it, while still on stage. This was a somewhat douchey beginning.

BUT THEN HE DID THE VERSE PERFECTLY, ODB MANNERISMS AND ALL

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a plant, but I'd sure be disappointed.

BEAT
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Never posted about this. He asked if anyone in the audience knew ODB's verse from Protect Ya Neck. They pulled a redheaded white guy on stage, who proceeded to take a selfie of himself with Ghostface, then tweeted it, while still on stage. This was a somewhat douchey beginning.

BUT THEN HE DID THE VERSE PERFECTLY, ODB MANNERISMS AND ALL

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a plant, but I'd sure be disappointed.

What is the best story.

Evil Dead Junkie
05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I few weeks ago I saw Gaslight Anthem. They brought out the full redemptive power of Rock. It was good times.

Karzac
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm going to see The Shins tonight! Whooo! I will report back.

Psyael
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
I miiiiiiight go to a concert reasonably soon? My problem is all the bands I like choose a venue around here that is both expensive and not one I'm fond of.

I haven't gone to a concert in years, though. That's what it's like when you live in a distant suburb and the last bus home leaves before midnight.

taosterman
05-22-2013, 01:16 PM
If I get to take a comp day on July 5 for working this past weekend, I'm hella gonna go see WEIRD AL at the Alameda County Fair. (Al-ameda?)

Karzac
05-31-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm going to see The Shins tonight! Whooo! I will report back.

I forgot to report back, but The Shins were awesome. The encore was a little weak, but the main set was great. The finished with "Sleeping Lessons" and the whole crowd got super into it and everything.

It also cemented James Mercer as among my favourite lyricists ever.

madhair60
06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Guess who just bought Mountain Goats tickets

(me, Stu)

pumped

taosterman
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Just bought—

- The Coup in San Francisco, this Sunday
- Pet Shop Boys in Windsor(!) in late September

eeeeeeeeee

Posaune
07-16-2013, 07:16 PM
I caught David Byrne and St. Vincent two weeks ago when they were at Des Moines' 80/35 festival. It was pretty alright, but I felt kind of bad that I was most excited during the two Talking Heads covers they played.

Most of all I just kind of wish I'd gotten more out of the experience.

Then again, I saw Beach House way back in 2009 and had a nice time at that show, so maybe my heart hasn't completely shriveled up.

taosterman
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I caught the Byrne/Vincent show in SF last October. More than anything else I loved the quirky choreography.

Posaune
07-17-2013, 04:40 PM
I caught the Byrne/Vincent show in SF last October. More than anything else I loved the quirky choreography.

Yeah, I thought that was cute.

taosterman
07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Just bought—

- The Coup in San Francisco, this Sunday
- Pet Shop Boys in Windsor(!) in late September

The Coup were pretty tight, though I only stayed for about half of it (I'd had a long weekend). Pam the Funkstress is usually their DJ, but she served as an awesome hype woman as the band played rocked-up versions of their songs (reflective of the style of their latest album). If you're into hip-hop at all you should really be into this band.

EDIT: The singer was actually Silk-E, their normal backup singer, with Pam not present. Didn't know there were two women in the group! Research fail.

Evil Dead Junkie
07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
So Sabbath put on a pretty damn good show. They rocked pretty fucking hard for old dudes, didn't overload the set with new crap (four or five songs, but you could feel the energy go out of the arena with each one). They really only showed their age when midway through the show they wentoffstage for a breather and hadthe drummer from Rage do a six minute drum solo. I shit you not.

Sure I would have preferred Bill Ward on the skins, but I got to bang my head to Children Of The Grave and chant along to War Pigs and that was a pretty fucking good time.

My only real complaint was that they hired Andrew WK to open, and they just had him DJ. He never even told us to party. I was crushed. I mean how expensive can Andrew WK's backing band possibly be?

taosterman
09-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Saw the Pet Shop Boys last night (my third time!). They played some startlingly deep cuts, mixed with the hits, and had amazing backup dancers. Neil Tennant was suave as always, and Chris Lowe was appealingly stoic, so, par for the course. The Detroit-Windsor tunnel fucking sucks.

pointzeroeight
10-02-2013, 07:46 AM
I forgot this thread existed, but now that I see it again, I should say that I have tickets to Janelle Monae in November at the Anaheim House of Blues. This'll be the first show I've been to since Joanna Newsom back on her Ys tour.

I am crazy jealous! That should be an awesome show.

Little Sampson
10-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Just got tickets to see Arctic Monkeys in a week. No idea if they're supposed to be any good live or not, but I'm stoked regardless.

pointzeroeight
03-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Got tickets to see Rhye in July! With guests, but those haven't been announced. Very excited for this, especially after reading about how great they are live.

taosterman
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
My show-going has gone way the hell down since moving from the Bay (and was already way down from my college showgoing heyday), but looks like I'll be able to see Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings next month in Detroit!

pointzeroeight
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Nice! I'd love to see her live.

CaptBlasto
03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Wow. Incredibly jealous. Her new album is fantastic.

I recently went to see Kings of Leon, who had awesome visual accompaniment. The real reason I went was to see their opening act, Gary Clark Jr. He and his band were so much tighter than when I saw them a couple years ago.

Googleshng
04-13-2014, 07:11 PM
So... my cousin's on the main stage of that there Coachella thing (http://m.spin.com/articles/coachella-2014-live-stream-outkast-beck-arcade-fire-pharrell/?post_id=1651572749_10202866007205167), right at this particular moment it seems. That's kinda neat.

And that's a weird way to stream a concert on that site.

taosterman
04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
My show-going has gone way the hell down since moving from the Bay (and was already way down from my college showgoing heyday), but looks like I'll be able to see Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings next month in Detroit!

This happened. The band was sexy, and Jones has a mystifying level of energy and stage presence— and she's so tiny!

taosterman
04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
hhhwoah shit, that Ted Leo/Aimee Mann band (The Both) is playing right here in Ann Arbor at the beginning of May! I'm not used to shows I want to see coming straight to my doorstep. Gonna have to jump on that.

Matchstick
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Mrs. Match and I went to see Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball tour. It's one of our favorite records of all time, and Ms. Harris killed it. Daniel Lanois opened as well as leading her band. Stunning textural playing on both pedal steel and guitar. Awesome.

taosterman
05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Doesn't count as live music, but I just snagged fourth row center tickets for Kids in the Hall in Royal Oak (near Detroit) in June. Anything I can do for Dave Foley's alimony!!

Paul le Fou
05-08-2014, 03:51 AM
Standing in the club in Osaka waiting for Explosions in the Sky to start. Concerts in Japan are so expensive but it's worth it :D

taosterman
05-08-2014, 08:27 AM
hhhwoah shit, that Ted Leo/Aimee Mann band (The Both) is playing right here in Ann Arbor at the beginning of May! I'm not used to shows I want to see coming straight to my doorstep. Gonna have to jump on that.

This was last night. Only having to walk a mile to a concert venue is a novelty I never even got to enjoy in the Bay Area. Their banter was very high-level, and they played Voices Carry during the encore!

Wolf
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Went to see Alice in Chains last night. I couldn't believe how good they sounded live. I'm used to seeing bands where the live sound has to make up in energy and spontaneity for what it loses to fidelity to the original sound, which is probably a side effect of liking bands like Nightwish and Kamelot, who record with orchestras and studio trickery that can't be easily (or at all) replicated live, and a certain amount of "smudging" of the original sound. Not here, though. The worst thing that happened is that the lyrics were frequently overpowered by the sheer onslaught of sound (I think my skull is still vibrating). But when you know all the lyrics anyway, that's not such a bad thing.

Awesome time. I hope I get to do it again.

Voncaster
10-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm seeing Sleater-Kinney in Minneapolis. I have not seen them before, but I did see Wild Flag in Minneapolis. The drummer for Sleater-Kinney is a machine.

I'm super looking forward to it.

taosterman
10-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Got tix for Todd Rundgren in San Francisco while I'm visiting the Bay for Thanksgiving week. I have to work in SF that day anyway (though I'll just want to bang on the drum all day*).

*(for the record, I hate that song too)

Also might be seeing Sloan next weekend in Detroit because GO CANADA

Evil Dead Junkie
11-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Saw Gogol Bordello. Just as beautiful as the first time.

taosterman
11-07-2014, 09:21 AM
My show calendar is rapidly filling up. Just found out that Shadow and Chemist are doing a set together in Detroit next Wednesday, spinning Afrika Bambaataa records.

I hope they don't leave out Time Zone's "World Destruction," which was the best musical cue of any of the "Tony gets his paper" scenes.

zmd-RJUO_RY

Voncaster
02-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Sleater-Kinney at First Ave in Minneapolis.

http://s17.postimg.org/eg63psvlb/band01.jpg

http://s28.postimg.org/s3m1iotyl/corin02.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/p2qwptib7/carrie01.jpg

taosterman
04-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Belle and Sebastian last night! It was really dancy, as befitting their most recent album, and they brought a bunch of the crowd on stage for The Boy with the Arab Strap and Legal Man. Looking at setlist.fm they seem to vary up their setlists quite a bit with the exception of a few mainstays, which is something I always really like, especially considering how extensive their catalogue is.

Wolf
06-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Just got back from seeing Coheed and Cambria. They don't do a lot of talking between songs, or a lot of audience participation stuff. Well, they did have a few points where they'd prompt the audience to sing lines from the chorus ("Good eye, sniper/I'll shoot, you run"), but none of the splitting the room into two halves and having each half yell out a lyric at the appropriate time or anything like that. But that's OK! They had really good energy, had me not quite head-banging (well, maybe a little on "Welcome Home"), but nodding my head and generally moving in and getting lost in the music. It's funny, a lot of the songs I honestly don't listen to much sounded great live.

Also, Claudio Sanchez looks like Cousin It, which is also totally cool, but baffling to me. I can't imagine how a person could go through life with that much hair their my face and not be constantly pissed off by the distraction of it.

Matchstick
06-27-2015, 10:10 PM
In the last few weeks, Mrs. Match and I went to see The Decemberists and The Kids in the Hall. Both were awesome. One ended with the group being eaten by a whale. I'll leave it up to the reader to determine which show that happened at.

upupdowndown
07-20-2015, 09:26 AM
The New Pornographers at Pitchfork were really good. Was surprised at how much back catalog stuff they did!

Sleater-Kinney absolutely melted our fucking faces off. Very very happy with how much of The Woods they played in addition to stuff off of No Cities To Love. Fantastic set list, performed with swagger and heart. We may have made out furiously during multiple guitar solos...

taosterman
07-20-2015, 12:10 PM
I concur, and I also gained a new level of appreciation for Future Islands. The guy looks like Garibaldi from Babylon 5, talks like Jack Black, sings like a Muppet, and dances like a dad who's really awesome at karaoke.

upupdowndown
07-22-2015, 09:08 AM
I concur, and I also gained a new level of appreciation for Future Islands. The guy looks like Garibaldi from Babylon 5, talks like Jack Black, sings like a Muppet, and dances like a dad who's really awesome at karaoke.

yeah, I need to get some FI stuff now. We didn't watch them because we were very invested in camping out by the S-K stage to get good spots, but we saw them on the screens and they sounded goood

taosterman
07-29-2015, 10:16 AM
I saw TMBG at the Williamsburg Hall of Music on Sunday night. It was great seeing them on their home turf, no crankiness from touring, making references to local things like the 6 train. The theme of the night was the Lincoln album, so they played most of it, which I can't say was a problem. This is also, I think, my tenth time seeing them since 1997, and I'd gladly go again, wrinkles and all.

Little Sampson
09-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Bought tickets weeks ago to see The Protomen this Saturday, and was pretty excited about it. Found out today Makeup & Vanity Set is opening for them.

Jackpot.

Paul le Fou
10-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Florence + The Machine tonight! They're setting up the stage now aaaaaaahhhhhh

Paul le Fou
10-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Aaaaah she was so gooooooood

she's like if Robert Plant were an actual manic pixie

Paul le Fou
10-28-2015, 12:55 PM
I was! It was fantastic!

Kirin
04-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Just got to see TMBG yet again, at the Cat's Cradle which is a great intimate little venue. They're pretty much always awesome live. In lieu of filling up the thread with images here's a tumblr post where I put like a dozen (http://kirinblr.tumblr.com/post/142571913668/last-nights-tmbg-concert-at-the-cradle-was).

taosterman
04-10-2016, 07:18 PM
They're not coming through my area on this tour, so I guess my count will have to stay at 10 concerts for now. I saw one of their monthly Williamsburg shows last year, though, and catching them on their home turf is something special.

Kirin
04-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I was really glad they swung by the Cradle again just at the end of this tour. I've seen them... I dunno, at least half a dozen times now, and the ones there have been the best by far. Of course, it helps a lot that it's nearby and thus convenient for me to line up an hour early and end up within a few feet of the stage.

Vega
04-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Have any of you listened to Information Society before? They're coming to Orlando on April 28. I care because my cousin from Los Angeles is drumming for them and I'm going to attend to meet him for a bit. I met him a bit in 2013 when he drummed for Dawn of Ashes and Psyclon Nine (both now disbanded), whose tour came to Orlando that year.

Kirin
04-18-2016, 10:13 AM
I quite like a few of their old songs including the ubiquitous What's on Your Mind (Pure Energy) and especially Peace and Love, Inc.

I had no idea until you brought them up just now that they're re-formed like a decade ago and were actively recording and touring again. Huh. How 'bout that. I'd be mildly interested but Orlando's way too far.

Vega
04-23-2016, 06:33 AM
I bought two tickets, then my cousin gave me a free one. I'm only going to be bringing one other person. The tickets I bought are non-refundable. What's the appropriate thing to do with the spare ticket? Would it be considered soliciting if I sold it at-cost to somebody at the door?

Kirin
04-23-2016, 10:38 AM
I suspect it depends on the venue whether they'd actively frown on that. (If it wasn't too far for a day trip, I'd consider buying it. But it is.)

Vega
04-25-2016, 02:11 PM
I got one person in town agree to drive me there and back in exchange for a ticket. That's great for me because I'm not going to get much sleep that morning and I'm afraid of falling asleep at the wheel on the long drive home that night. I still want to find one other person to go with us.

Vega
04-29-2016, 08:50 PM
The Information Society concert was a blast! It was a mix of old and new songs. Kurt Larson was nice enough to walk me through some halls to meet my cousin Jon before the show. He's on drum pads in the top video.

WQWsYE2ma6k

8ScfK3VcotA

KCar
05-12-2016, 10:31 PM
I just watched Wolf Parade's first live show in five years. It was a secret show. I was on the guest list.

This is the coolest I've ever been.

taosterman
06-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Anyone who used Ticketmaster between 1999 and 2013: check the active vouchers on your account (http://www.avclub.com/article/there-might-be-free-tickets-sitting-your-ticketmas-238434). Due to a recent class-action settlement, you are likely to have discounts or free pairs of tickets waiting for you, especially if you saw a lot of shows. I was a concert fiend during and after college so I now have two tickets apiece to eight shows between now and 2020. They're still finalizing the list of eligible venues and events (it appears to be restricted to Live Nation specifically), so I don't know how much this will actually be worth in the end, but it's worth checking out.

Kirin
06-20-2016, 08:25 AM
I try to avoid ticketmaster whenever possible, so I wasn't sure if I even had an account. But just to see, I tried an old set of credentials and lo and behold, I have both an account and one pair of ticket vouchers. Lord knows if there will ever actually be something I'm interested in that they can be used on, but at the very least the additional $2.25 discount code that's in there should help offset the ticketmaster tax for something I want to buy eventually.

s p a c e f o l d
09-22-2016, 03:03 AM
grrrr
I have roadtrip in a month. this band is playing in the town I'm visiting , but ticket fly has their stuff "off sale." I really want a ticket. do clubs usually have a reserve of tickets for purchase at the door?
hj_JjqNw5T0