PDA

View Full Version : You use the pencil to do what? The Cassette Thread

woofbro
08-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Recently I've been bringing about a personal resurgence of cassettes, not in the cassette styled iPhone cover fashion but actually playing and op-shopping around for some good/nasty tapes.

And I was just wondering if anybody still has a car stereo with a player? Lived in the battle between cassette and 8-track or made a mix sometime.

I was brought up behind the peak, but I think my Dad's last mix was made in the mid 00's with old vinyl records. And I was always subjected to his older mixes ranging from Led Zeppelin, Rainbow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFKw3BhveI), Sweet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpWJx3I2DY) and Scatterbrain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLhHtaVIO4) (good for a laugh).

My last buy for tape was Rick Astley's Whenever You Need Somebody and The Evil of the Daleks.

Elements
08-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I was still using a portable cassette player when I started college in 2002. I think I bought my first CD in 2001? Not counting a couple soundtrack CDs that came with games. Anyways, being so music lite when younger, I just had a best friend that would make me a couple mix cassettes a year in highschool, and I still have them all. So... yeah, I guess I never actually bought any myself, save for some old Japanese pop cassette I bought at a flea market in 2003 or so.

My favorite cassette back in 1999 was eaten, and I had to cut the mangled bit out and splice the healthy tape back together. I finally got the CD a couple years later, but to this day, whenever I listen to a certain track on it, I always get surprised when there's not a couple seconds cut out.

Kirin
08-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I actually started using my car cassette deck again a few months ago, to listen to a bunch of cassettes I dug out of a closet in my parents' house when I was sorting out some of my old stuff. It lasted (with the occasional weird glitch and hiccup) up until halfway through the last one, when it glitched so badly that I haven't even been able to eject the thing since then. Which probably means it's totally melted in the summer heat by now. :/

Sanagi
08-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I was still rocking the walkman in 2005 or so, mainly because I never had a discman with decent skip protection. There are some songs where I still wait for the moment when they turn into a backwards version of side B, and end up feeling a little disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Serephine
08-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Because I was weird and crazy when I first started buying CDs instead of buying a discman I bought tons of tapes and used my stereo to dub the CDs to tapes for my walkman. I probably spent as much on tapes as a decent CD player and I have no idea why I didn't just buy a CD player in the first place.

Matchstick
08-18-2012, 07:52 PM
And I was just wondering if anybody still has a car stereo with a player? Lived in the battle between cassette and 8-track or made a mix sometime.

My car has a cassette player that I use from time to time. I still have a huge raft of cassettes, and I have made mixes from vinyl and CDs. Doing CD mixes isn't nearly as enjoyable.

Droewyn
08-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I used to make copies of all of my tapes and play the copy until it degraded, then make another copy from the original. I still have a box of tapes that are in pretty good shape because of this!

Yimothy
08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
I got into tapes when I got my first car, and out of them when that car died and I got one with a CD player in '08 or so. In between I used them to record my old band, to bootleg the odd show, and for a new mix every so often for the car. A pretty great technology, actually.

By coincidence, yesterday I cleaned my car and dug out the bag full of tapes I had under the driver's seat that I stuck there when I was clearing out the old car. This afternoon I made a bunch of playlists on my computer based on them. Right now I'm listening to "Late July '05 Tape".

Edit: This was actually a really good idea. How I've managed to go the last several years without listening to Air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjOnQ9i_-M) by the Owls I don't know.

dhawks
08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
I inherited an early 70's era Revox reel-to-reel from my grandfather. He had spliced together segments of several tapes to create hours-long mixes on long playing reels. Listening to these mixtapes has been a lot of fun, and has given me an even greater appreciation for my grandfather. In addition to being a really cool guy, he also had great taste in music.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7824627714_b68ac93a17_b.jpg

shivam
08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
i spent the entirety of my childhood listening to religious lectures and old hindi and devotional music on audio tape. i'm not sad to see the medium gone.

vaterite
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Cassette tapes are for saving basic programs on your Texas Instruments home computer.

Torzelbaum
08-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Cassette tapes are for saving basic programs on your Texas Instruments home computer.Damn... I thought my family was the only one that owned one of those.

Brer
08-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I held onto a cassette player for as long as I could because I'd built up a library of books-on-tape and because I wanted to keep access to the same materials -from- libraries. For example, I listened to a TON of old Radio and early TV comedy that way (Abbott and Costello, Jack Benny, George Burns) not to mention a bunch of serial dramas.

But eventually it became too hard to find replacement players, and I ended up converting everything to MP3.

Kirin
08-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Damn... I thought my family was the only one that owned one of those.

Not hardly.

Prinnydood
08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
My dad is notorious for being averse to changing technology. He was visibly disappointed when he had to trade in his old cassette-playing car for a newfangled CD-playing one. I think my grandpa still listens to cassettes from time to time as well as his extensive collection of vinyls.