PDA

View Full Version : The Humble eBook Bundle

Kirin
10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Yup, Humble Bundle (http://www.humblebundle.com/) is invading yet another sub-forum. Most of you are probably familiar with how this "pay what you want and choose how much goes to charity" deal from their numerous indie game and recent music offerings. This time it's DRM-free eBooks in PDF, ePub, and MOBI format, with some big names for the debut:

Neil Gaiman + Dave McKean - Signal to Noise*
John Scalzi - Old Manís War*
Cory Doctorow - Pirate Cinema
Paolo Bacigalupi - Pump Six
Lauren Beukes - Zoo City
Mercedes Lackey - Invasion
Kelly Link - Stranger Things Happen
Kelly Link - Magic for Beginners

The asterisk there means you have to beat the average to get those first too - currently $10.36, and hard to say whether it's going up or down. People who actually buy books are pretty generous compared to gamers (most Indie Game averages seem to run around $5-8), it seems.

shivam
10-09-2012, 12:23 PM
edit- never mind.

MCBanjoMike
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Ha ha, seriously? I'm honestly kind of tempted to buy this bundle, because my dad has a Nook and I could load the ePub files onto it for reading. But are these books any good? I honestly don't know much about these authors.

Man, I should just sign myself for the HB-of-the-month club. They could just take the average + 1 dollar off my credit card as soon as they announce these things, I'd probably be happy in the long run.

Kirin
10-09-2012, 02:04 PM
They're pretty much all award-winning SF/F authors, so yeah. Tastes will obviously vary. But hey, pay-what-you-want, so even if you only like a couple you can still make it a deal.

Now I"m all curious what shivam was gonna say...

shivam
10-09-2012, 02:05 PM
They're pretty much all award-winning SF/F authors, so yeah. Tastes will obviously vary. But hey, pay-what-you-want, so even if you only like a couple you can still make it a deal.

Now I"m all curious what shivam was gonna say...

i'm not a fan of doctorow, but what i had posted was needlessly negative.

The Raider Dr. Jones
10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Ha ha, seriously? I'm honestly kind of tempted to buy this bundle, because my dad has a Nook and I could load the ePub files onto it for reading. But are these books any good? I honestly don't know much about these authors.

Can't speak for the rest, but Old Man's War (SF war story) and Signal to Noise (comic book psychodrama) are both real good.

Kirin
10-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I love the top contributor shenanigans for these things sometimes. Current highlights:

Not @wilw - $241.99
@wilw - $242.00
@wilw's clown sweater - $242.42

fugu13
10-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Purchased.

I've read Old Man's War and Zoo City. Old Man's War is well-covered in reviews (and great), so here's my quick thoughts on Zoo City: really good, extremely interesting universe, a little uneven structurally, great sensitivity to nuanced storytelling. Coincidentally, someone I know works for the publisher (he recommended it as a starting place, since I wasn't familiar with their authors).

I hope that publishers pay attention here. They're extraordinarily bad at figuring out how to make money selling ebooks, and have decided it it somehow the "safe" route to charge more than paperbacks even for back listed stuff. Oh, and to charge 3 or more times retail to libraries and require them to repurchase after twenty or so checkouts. It's like they've decided that the lesson from before the RIAA members got iTunes religion is to repeat all the same mistakes, only worse.

I really like how I can get it delivered straight to my kindle (using the personal documents email).

Kirin
10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Random irrelevant geeky observation time: the purchase rate on this one is running at just the right slow-but-not-too-slow speed to make it pretty easy to see what individual buyers are paying by watching the purchase and total payment counters. Here's what's weird: you know the psychological trick pretty much every retailer does with subtracting a penny from every price tag to make things seem cheaper, by setting prices like $9.99? People do that to themselves! For no good reason! People are weird.

Like, I just saw someone pay $12.99. Clearly they're aiming to beat the average, but not by much, to get a good deal that includes the bonus books. But if you're pinching every penny, it should've been $12.41, and if you're *not*, why not $13? And then I saw someone pay $24.99! People. They are weird.

Grignr
10-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I paid $15 because it was the smallest radio button value and it was over the unlock minimum.

madhair60
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
This has good comics now.

And XKCD.

MCBanjoMike
10-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I would have preferred it if they had added more novels to the bundle, rather than comics. Reading color comics of wildly varying formats on an ebook reader is pretty far from optimal, in my opinion.

Egarwaen
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
I was interested, but then I realized that the bundle's mostly short story collections and comic books, and I've got Old Man's War already. So... Nope!

Brickroad
10-17-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm not real big on sci-fi, but I am big on supporting Humble Bundles, and I am big on DRM-free shit! Peanut wanted these too, so I just doubled my original price and then duplicated the files myself. Because I could.

Paul le Fou
10-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Picked these up! And apparently I need wi-fi to deliver them to my kindle (despite having gotten the 3G model because I don't have wi-fi). So now I need to set up Wi-fi in my apartment (which I've been meaning to do since forever anyway). That's hard! I don't know how to do it! SIGH

Grignr
10-18-2012, 06:08 AM
If you have a PC, you should be able to download the appropriate file and copy it over USB to the Kindle.

3G devices often have a max file size they'll let you download directly (browser or phone store app). However, I've set up my 3G phone to act as a wi-fi hotspot and downloaded large files through it to other devices (e.g. a game to my iPod) since it can't tell how large the file is when it's tethered. So smartphone or free access point (B&N, McDonald's) might also work.

And now some other hints that I learned the hard way!
If you use iTunes to add one of the PDF comics to Adobe Reader, make sure you don't just look at the Recent Documents tab in Reader, or you won't see your new book! And if you drop the book into iTunes so you can read it as an iBook, you won't see the new PDF until you switch your shelf view to "PDFs" using the Collections button, which actually means "file type" and not "anthologies" as I originally thought.