PDA

View Full Version : Guy Criticizes All You Foodists

Dizzy
11-10-2012, 09:14 PM
You Aren't What You Eat (http://www.randomhouse.ca/hazlitt/feature/excerpt-you-arent-what-you-eat)

We have become obsessed by food: where it comes from, where to buy it, how to cook it and—most absurdly of all—how to eat it. Our televisions and newspapers are filled with celebrity chefs, latter-day priests whose authority and ambition range from the small scale (what we should have for supper) to large-scale public schemes designed to improve our communal eating habits. When did the basic human imperative to feed ourselves mutate into such a multitude of anxieties about provenance, ethics, health, lifestyle and class status?

Brickroad
11-10-2012, 09:21 PM
The human need to feed ourselves mutated into etc. etc. somewhere about the time we became able to produce way more food than anyone anywhere could ever eat.

Dizzy
11-10-2012, 10:54 PM
If we as a species resolved world hunger... foodism would become an extinct cultural phenomenon.

Lady
11-10-2012, 10:57 PM
same thing happened with housing ourselves, clothing ourselves, selecting mates, etc

Nodal
11-11-2012, 12:48 AM
When did the human search for knowledge mutate into people writing dumb articles.

Daikaiju
11-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Cripes, this is NOT a new trend. the only real difference is that it's more noticeable thanks to digital outlets.

"HEY GUYS, THE SKY'S BLUE!"

Parish
11-11-2012, 08:37 AM
When did the human search for knowledge mutate into people writing dumb articles.

Nothing new here. The difference from ancient times is that bloggers like the whiner linked in the OP can't legally make people whose actions they disapprove of drink hemlock.

Karzac
11-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Food has always been linked to class: people in higher classes have a lot of food to eat; lower classes do not.

Dizzy
11-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Well... well! I'll be reading this book soon nevertheless, and I will report back its empirical findings on this comically bourgeois obsession with food.

http://i.imgur.com/0KhTf.jpg