PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Year-End Music Thread

ajr82
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Use this thread to post a list of your favourite music from 2012, or just to talk about music you liked, or to comment on year-end lists from various publications. It'll be a good time!

Behemoth
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Use this thread to post a list of your favourite music from 2012, or just to talk about music you liked, or to comment on year-end lists from various publications. It'll be a good time!

In standard Behemoth fashion, I've got about twenty to twenty-five albums I want to include in my yearly top ten. So, uh, this space reserved until I figure this out (probably sometime in March).

Olli T
12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
El-P:s Cancer 4 Cure is probably my favorite album of the year. Very intense, very claustrophobic, still makes my head bop whenever I put it on.

Little Sampson
12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Flying Lotus, Amanda Palmer, Kendrick Lamar, Japandroids, Fiona Apple, BADBADNOTGOOD, Animal Collective, Dan Deacon, Killer Mike, and Grimes all put out good albums.

Zarathustra
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
My AOTY might be Beach House's Bloom

ok more albums i loved, from my torrent tracker list:

Jon Talabot - Fin

Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Crystal Castles - (III)

Mac Demarco - 2

Andy Stott - Luxury Problems

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Death Grips - The Money Store and NO LOVE DEEP WEB

Wild Nothing - Nocturne

How To Dress Well - Total Loss

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Max Richter - Recomposed by Max Richter, Vivaldi, The Four Seasons

Krallice - Years Past Matter

Swans - The Seer

Merchandise - Children of Desire

Baroness - Yellow & Green

Purity Ring - Shrines

DIIV - Oshin

Laurel Halo - Quarantine

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Mount Eerie - Clear Moon and Ocean Roar

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance

Lower Dens - Nootropics

Julia Holter - Ekstasis

Grimes - Genesis

Twin Shadow - Confess

falz
12-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Hands down favorite album this year was Dirty Projectors' Swing Lo Magellan. Just a fantastic album. Just saying it grew on me is an understatement. Every time I listen to it I notice something more stuff!

Queen Possum
12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Woodpecker! (http://www.woodpeckermusic.com/) They were on All Songs Considered and still no one is listening to them and their new album is just so good!

shivam
12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
this is the year i discovered dubstep, and that i absolutely love dubstep despite the widespread hatred of the genre.

taosterman
12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I really really liked the David Byrne/St. Vincent album a lot. Pretty much everything else I liked has already been covered.

Matchstick
12-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Converge's All We Love We Leave Behind was by far my favorite record this year.

woofbro
12-16-2012, 03:26 AM
I really dug...
NZCA/Lines - NZCA/Lines
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Dappled Cities - Lake Air
Melody's Echo Chamber - Melody's Echo Chamber (Like Lonerism? You'll love this)
Django Django - Django Django
Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

Best Free Stuff
Perth - Babes, Water, Waves.
Cow Parade Cow - Big Sky
knife city - knife city

Checking out your lists I need to check out Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective and Grimes. Since I keep hearing those/have heard artists in the past.

ajr82
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Decided on my top ten.

1. Japandroids- Celebration Rock
2. Andrew Bird- Break It Yourself
3. The Mountain Goats- Transcendental Youth
4. Divine Fits- A Thing Called Divine Fits
5. John K. Samson- Provincial
6. Future of the Left- The War Against Common Sense
7. Passion Pit- Gossamer
8. Shearwater- Animal Joy
9. Beach House- Bloom
10. Moonface- With Siinai: Heartbreaking Bravery

Behemoth
12-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Decided on my top ten.

1. Japandroids- Celebration Rock
2. Andrew Bird- Break It Yourself
3. The Mountain Goats- Transcendental Youth
4. Divine Fits- A Thing Called Divine Fits
5. John K. Samson- Provincial
6. Future of the Left- The War Against Common Sense
7. Passion Pit- Gossamer
8. Shearwater- Animal Joy
9. Beach House- Bloom
10. Moonface- With Siinai: Heartbreaking Bravery

As usual, demonstrating your good taste.

I finally decided on my top ten, my runners up, and my twenty-five favorite songs:

Albums:

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
2. Dan Deacon - America
3. Grizzly Bear - Shields
4. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
5. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
6. Chromatics - Kill for Love
7. Mount Eerie - Clear Moon/Ocean Roar
8. Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
9. Twin Shadow - Confess
10. Passion Pit - Gossamer

Runners Up (no particular order):

11. Crystal Castles - (III)
12. DIIV - Oshin
13. Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
14. Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
15. Beach House - Bloom
16. Purity Ring - Shrines
17. The Walkmen - Heaven
18. Wild Nothing - Nocturne
19. John Talabot - Fin
20. Grimes - Visions

Favorite Songs:

1. Mladic (Godspeed You! Black Emperor)
2. USA Suite (Dan Deacon)
3. Amanita (Animal Collective)
4. The House that Heaven Built (Japandroids)
5. Kill for Love (Chromatics)
6. Yet Again (Grizzly Bear)
7. We Drift Like Worried Fire (Godspeed You! Black Emperor)
8. Fineshrine (Purity Ring)
9. Stay Useless (Cloud Nothings)
10. Depak Ine (John Talabot)
11. Heartbreaker (The Walkmen)
12. Five Seconds (Twin Shadow)
13. Ecce Homo (Titus Andronicus)
14. Putty Boy Strut (Flying Lotus)
15. Baby Got Worst (Divine Fits)
16. Cotton Flower (Future Islands)
17. Oblivion (Grimes)
18. Emmylou (First Aid Kit)
19. Love is Greed (Passion Pit)
20. Lazuli (Beach House)
21. Danse Caribe (Andrew Bird)
22. Laura (Bat for Lashes)
23. Plague (Crystal Castles)
24. Yesterday's Fire (Moonface)
25. Pale Flesh (Crystal Castles)

Dizzy
12-21-2012, 11:27 PM
ok more albums i loved, from my torrent tracker list:

Jon Talabot - Fin

Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Crystal Castles - (III)

Mac Demarco - 2

Andy Stott - Luxury Problems

Damn, I forgot Crystal Castles came out with a new album and I listened to it.

Re-listening to it now, not a lot of the songs are strong but damn is Plague horrifying (in a good way?). As is Child I Will Hurt You.

Narrow down what albums on your list I must listen to so I may become god-like.

Behemoth
12-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Damn, I forgot Crystal Castles came out with a new album and I listened to it.

Re-listening to it now, not a lot of the songs are strong but damn is Plague horrifying (in a good way?). As is Child I Will Hurt You.

I'm also a big fan of Pale Flesh and Sad Eyes.

Odin
12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
1. Christian Mistress - Possession. I'd never heard of them before this year and they blew me away. Classic 80s metal sound, modern music sensibilities, and a powerful, sexy female vocalist. Personal favorite track: Haunted Hunted.

2. Rush - Clockwork Angels. My favorite new Rush album since 1996's Test for Echo. Great songs all around, and an incredible live show to go with them. These musicians have more than earned their place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you've never given Rush a chance, why not now? Personal favorite track: Caravan.

3. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension. A return to form for Coheed after the disappointment that was Year of the Black Rainbow. Progressive hard rocking songs that resonate with me both lyrically and musically. There really isn't a bad track on the album, and we have a second album to look forward to in February. Personal favorite track: Key Entity Extraction III: Vic the Butcher.

4. The Sword - Apocryphon. Not as good as Warp Riders. My favorite Austin, TX band could have let these riffs mature a little more before heading into the studio, but that doesn't change how hard rocking the album is despite a few weak tracks. Classic hard rock and heavy metal downtuned and at its best. Personal favorite track: Eyes of the Stormwitch.

5. 3 Inches of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal. These Canucks are in fine form, like many of my other picks they pay homage to classic heavy metal while forging a new path into the future of modern music. The riffs and solos are among the best the band has ever recorded but their lyrical themes are getting old and stale. They wear their worship of 80s metal on their hearts and sleeves, but my favorite moments are when they break into acoustic folk compositions. Personal favorite track: One for the Ditch.

Honorable mention: Iron Maiden - En Vivo! is a good live album showcasing a great band, but it doesn't edge out Rock in Rio or Live After Death as their best live albums. The new songs sound great live and the bluray/album are worth checking out for any heavy metal fan, but it's not really a "new" album per se as studio versions of the new material were released in 2010 on "The Final Frontier" and most of the rest of the set is identical to their other live albums' selections.

Adrenaline
12-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I hardly listened to anything this year. My favorite album though was Shields by Grizzly Bear.

innerlogic
12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Boy, reading this thread and other various Year-end music lists... I just don't listen to enough new music. I was doing a lot catch up with a lot of music from 2011. But anyway, here's what I came up with.

1. The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
2. Bob Mould - Silver Age
3. Theラバ人間 - 愛に似ている
4. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
5. John K. Samson - Provincial
6. MOWMOW LULU GYABAN - 僕は暗闇で迸る命、若さを叫ぶ
7. Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory
8. Guided By Voices - Class Clown Spots a UFO (Although you could interchange this with the other GBV albums out this year. They have all been good, but this was the one I listened to the most.)
9. Propagandhi - Failed States
10. 10-FEET - thread

The Sugar re-issues were also excellent, and well worth picking up as well.

Zarathustra
12-22-2012, 10:09 PM
narrow down what albums on your list i must listen to so i may become god-like.

all of them.

Blombo
12-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Post rock had a pretty good year (Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Mogwai,I'm going to ignore MONO).
I think the thing that piqued my interest the most was the self titled debut of the Books spinoff "Zammuto".
Other than that not much seemed interesting to me, but 2013 promises to be an eventful year, can't wait!

pencils
12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
3. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension. A return to form for Coheed after the disappointment that was Year of the Black Rainbow. Progressive hard rocking songs that resonate with me both lyrically and musically. There really isn't a bad track on the album, and we have a second album to look forward to in February. Personal favorite track: Key Entity Extraction III: Vic the Butcher.

yes to this!

DemoWeasel
12-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Moonface- With Siinai: Heartbreaking Bravery

Good man.

I haven't listened to much new music this year, but I discovered that I absolutely love hot club jazz. That, and the entire Hotline Miami soundtrack.

chud_666
12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
The new Turbonegro is pretty excellent, even sans Hank!

teekun
01-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Macklemore's The Heist is easily one of my surprise favourite album of the year. Surprising because it's both a hip hop album, and from a guy I hadn't heard of 6 months ago. It's almost a shame that Thrift Shop is the song that rocketed him to fame, considering I think there are easily a half-dozen better tracks on the album. Wing$ needs to be the one he's famous for. That track gives me chills almost every time I listen to it.

dhawks
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I am still trying to narrow my list down to the top 10. In alphabetical order:

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Beach House - Bloom
Dan Deacon - America
Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour
DIIV - Oshin
Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits
Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Hot Chip - In Our Heads
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
Matthew Dear - Beams
Metric - Synthetica
Patrick Watson - Adventures in Your Own Backyard
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
Tanlines - Mixed Emotions
Trust - TRST

taosterman
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Shit dog, I forgot the Coup's Sorry to Bother You. So funny, so hot.

upupdowndown
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
The new albums I've loved the most this year:

Kill For Love by Chromatics

- A bit long and self-indulgent, but man, I could listen to Ruth Radelet sing the phone book.

Bloom by Beach House

- Dreamy.

III by Crystal Castles

- "Child I Will Hurt You" is the most gorgeously and tenderly bleak song of 2012.

In Limbo by TEEN

- Serving droney Brooklyn girl group art-pop realness: The Ronettes meet Graceland-era Paul Simon on the way to a 70s Brian Eno concert.

Electra Heart by Marina and the Diamonds

- The fact that "Radioactive" didn't become a massive dance-floor hit is a crime against humanity.

Reign of Terror by Sleigh Bells

- I lifted more weights to this album than any other this year. Simultaneously heavier and lighter than Treats - crunchier guitars, better foregrounding of vocals. They're still totally Jock Jams for hipsters and I'm totally cool with that.

Channel ORANGE by Frank Ocean

- Any album with songs as good as "Pyramids" and "Bad Religion" on it automatically lands on the "Best of" list. Still think Nostalgia, Ultra. is the better album.

oh, and pretty much everything on the Hotline Miami soundtrack is sizzlin'.

Dizzy
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I think I need to listen to your Spotify playlist if you have one.

narcodis
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
The new Ben Folds Five album was awesome.

Wolf
01-07-2013, 11:36 PM
I didn't even buy ten albums this year. My music-buying has slowed recently. But I can at least name a couple.

Coheed and Cambria's Afterman: the Ascension probably deserves a good, long listen when I can square away some time for it. I listened to it once, but was kind of distracted and wasn't able to pay attention. What I can recall, I like. The previous album, Year of the Black Rainbow was enjoyable for me, but was sort of a dip in quality. I do remember thinking better of the latest one.

The new album by The Smashing Pumpkins was, however, an album I have had the chance to listen to. Several times, in fact. I was honestly kind of worried about the fate of the band after listening to Zeitgeist, (notwithstanding the tracks I've heard from Teargarden by Kaleidyscope), but I guess you don't come off a 7-year hiatus and do absolute magic right away again. Oceania reminded me why I liked listening to the Smashing Pumpkins in the first place.

And now I'm going to be an irritating power metal/symphonic metal fan for the next (and last) couple.

Although I didn't get it until after the new year, Kamelot's Silverthorn is really great for anyone who likes that sort of thing. I was pretty worried after the lead singer quit following their last album (which in itself seemed to lack something), since he was such a major part of Kamelot's sound. But the new singer, Tommy Karevik, sounds pretty damned good. To my untrained ear, he's virtually indistinguishable from the previous singer, and whatever it was the band lost when they were recording Poetry for the Poisoned, they sure as hell seem to have found it again on Silverthorn.

And bucking the trend of "bands who previously released a so-so album and are now back to form", Nightwish's Imaginaerum was also a great listen, and the album itself is fairly diverse. A bit over the top at times with songs like "I Want My Tears Back", but fun and powerful, nonetheless.

I suppose part of the reason for my rekindled enthusiasm for Kamelot and Nightwish has to do with seeing them live this year. I've really only been to a couple of concerts, but that one was a blast and made me remember (not that I'd ever entirely forgotten) why I love their music.