PDA

View Full Version : What books do you wish had sequels?

shivam
12-15-2012, 02:13 PM
For me, I've always wanted to see more books in David Eddings' Elenium/Tamuli sextet, and Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince/Dragon Star saga.

I wish there were more books in the Marid series by effinger as well. Shame he died!

Zarathustra
12-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Book of Mormon

Googleshng
12-15-2012, 06:53 PM
The Chronicles of Amber kinda feel like there was supposed to be a third pentalogy to really wrap things up, and there's all sorts of series where 'd like to rewrite an existing sequel to cut the total number of entries down. Otherwise, nothing really comes to mind.

Rascally Badger
12-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I want Buttercup's Baby. That is a thing that needs to exist.

Also, more Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though I think that one is actually happening.

The Raider Dr. Jones
12-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Book of Mormon

the Pearl of Great Price is kind of a prequel. I recommend it anyway because it's completely nuts.

Brer
12-15-2012, 09:28 PM
China Mieville's Embassytown. Much like the Bas-Lag books, he creates a really interesting world I'd love to see more of (In fact aside from Perdido Street Station I think I enjoyed the -setting- and the imagery of the Bas-Lag books more than any of the actual narrative or character content).

Matchstick
12-15-2012, 11:40 PM

Yes.

Octopus Prime
12-16-2012, 03:10 AM

After the butchering Will Goldman gave the original, I think not

Rascally Badger
12-16-2012, 09:32 AM
After the butchering Will Goldman gave the original, I think not

S. Morgenstern is hack who needs Goldman to clean up his tame satires and you know it. Or maybe you think The Silent Gondoliers is a classic too.

Olli T
12-16-2012, 11:06 AM
The Chronicles of Amber kinda feel like there was supposed to be a third pentalogy to really wrap things up, and there's all sorts of series where 'd like to rewrite an existing sequel to cut the total number of entries down. Otherwise, nothing really comes to mind.

Yes, I'd be down for this.

Anyway, maybe Good Omens? Crowley and Aziraphale still have a story or two in them, I think.

Douglas Adams passed away too young, but I think I'd rather read another Dirk Gently book than more Hitchhiker's (I haven't even felt the desire to check out the one Eoin Colfer did).

Falselogic
12-16-2012, 04:23 PM
A Dance with Dragons!

Hi-o!

Behemoth
12-16-2012, 04:38 PM
the Pearl of Great Price is kind of a prequel. I recommend it anyway because it's completely nuts.

And the Doctrine & Covenants is kind of a sequel.

Edit:

Also, more Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though I think that one is actually happening.

Yes, but not fast enough.

I used to think I wanted the final book in Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series, but given how terrible his writing's become in the last ten years, I think I'd rather he just leave well enough alone.

Paul le Fou
12-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Gormenghast. That said, I don't know how I felt about book 3, and am not sure where the continuations would have taken us. But I toooootally want more like the first two books.

The Raider Dr. Jones
12-17-2012, 12:15 AM
And the Doctrine & Covenants is kind of a sequel.

Nah, the D&C is more like the bazillion books of appendices and notes that got tacked on to the end of the Tolkien sagas. It's too long and pretty scattered and boring as shit. (I mean really this is true of most all Mormon scripture -- Mark Twain nailed the Book of Mormon itself as "chloroform in print" -- but the D&C is a step beyond even that I think.)

Gormenghast. That said, I don't know how I felt about book 3, and am not sure where the continuations would have taken us. But I toooootally want more like the first two books.

Peake died partway through writing Titus Alone, right?

As for something else more like Gormenghast and Titus Groan...I dunno. A third installment at that level of density could possibly cause the series to collapse down into a neutron star.

keele864
12-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Well, there's the sequel Peake's wife wrote (http://www.amazon.com/Titus-Awakes-Novel-Mervyn-Peake/dp/B008SM50WK/ref=pd_sim_b_2), which got mixed reviews and may not have been meant for publication. Then there's Boy in Darkness (http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Darkness-Other-Stories-Centenary/dp/0720613892), which I guess is kind of a midquel? Have not read either, but you might like the latter?

Paul le Fou
12-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Yeah, he died before Titus Alone was entirely finished, and his editors cobbled it together to take it over the finish line. It shows at points, but it's more or less a complete book.

I didn't know about Boy in Darkness, although it sounds familiar. I must have heard it referenced somewhere. I'll take a look at it if I get a chance. I must say though, I usually don't have much interest in someone else continuing a series, just in general...

Behemoth
12-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Nah, the D&C is more like the bazillion books of appendices and notes that got tacked on to the end of the Tolkien sagas. It's too long and pretty scattered and boring as shit. (I mean really this is true of most all Mormon scripture -- Mark Twain nailed the Book of Mormon itself as "chloroform in print" -- but the D&C is a step beyond even that I think.)

Well, sure - I was mostly being facetious. As someone who's read the D&C many times, I can confirm that it is pretty boring.

Kishi
12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Mostly Harmless is such a mean note on which to end the Hitchhiker's series, especially knowing that Adams was working on a sixth book prior to his death. Without a sequel to redeem it, I'd rather ignore its existence and pretend the fourth book is the last one. Well, almost—the parts about making sandwiches are pretty good.

Octopus Prime
12-17-2012, 10:50 AM
It's an unpopular opinion, I know, but honestly, the Eown Colfer HG2G was my favorite of the series by a wide margin.

gahitsu
12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Badger and Matchstick are good people. I would read the fuck out of Buttercup's Baby.

One of the great strengths of Elantris is that it was a stand alone novel, but you know ... I wouldn't say no to a sequel.

Sarcasmorator
12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
For me, I've always wanted to see more books in David Eddings' Elenium/Tamuli sextet

I had this same thought as soon as I saw the thread title. Too bad David Eddings is dead (and he had a tough last couple years as I recall).

Still have never quite figured out how old Sparhawk is supposed to be at the outset and thus exactly how creepy his relationship with the queen is. I think like 35-40.

I would really like to read a sequel to Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Direct or otherwise. And another book in Neil Gaiman's American Gods setting.

Mostly Harmless is such a mean note on which to end the Hitchhiker's series, especially knowing that Adams was working on a sixth book prior to his death. Without a sequel to redeem it, I'd rather ignore its existence and pretend the fourth book is the last one. Well, almost—the parts about making sandwiches are pretty good.

There IS a sixth book now (And Another Thing ...), by a different author, working from Adams' notes and such. Plot-wise it's nothing special, the jokes haven't got the same snap and it calls back a little too readily to jokes from the previous books, with the effect of it sometimes reading like the author's going "Remember this funny part? Yeah, me too!" But I've read worse books, and it does tie off the series.

dhawks
12-17-2012, 03:45 PM
A Dance with Dragons!

Hi-o!

I was just getting ready to make this joke!

Dizzy
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Infinite Jest 2: Infinite Justice

The Crying of Lot 50

House of Leaves 2: The Presequel

Now with directories of character's phone numbers*, maps, dictionaries and appendixes
Includes a magnifying glass to see small print
3-D glasses to read the indexes
Learn Swedish braille to decipher the true ending
*Call the phone numbers to collect all the clues. Say the wrong thing and you get nothing.
**Fill-out form to hire a blind Swede to help you decipher the ending, which is all in Swedish braille

A Void 2: Rvng of th lttr ''

Parish
12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Bridge to Terabithia 2: A Bridge 2 Far

Flatland 3D

Ol' Yeller Z: Revengeance

Karzac
12-17-2012, 06:40 PM
The Greater Gatsby

The Greatest Gatsby.

Evil Dead Junkie
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
The Wise Man's Fear!

Hi-o!

Fixed.

Also

Better Omens
The Man Who Was October
Brideshead Rerevisted
The Yiddish Policemen's Pension
Ashes Of The Vanities
The Haunting Of Hill House 2: Eleanor's Revenge

Büge
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
A Handmaid's Revenge: Gilead Must Die!

Rascally Badger
12-17-2012, 09:13 PM
One of the great strengths of Elantris is that it was a stand alone novel, but you know ... I wouldn't say no to a sequel.

Sanderson had a novella published earlier this year that is set in the same world as Elantris. Maybe it has been too long since I read Elantris, though, since I did not note any connections between it and The Emperor's Soul.

The Greater Gatsby

The Greatest Gatsby.

I'd be fine with The Mediocre Gatsby.

fanboymaster
12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I had this same thought as soon as I saw the thread title. Too bad David Eddings is dead (and he had a tough last couple years as I recall).

Still have never quite figured out how old Sparhawk is supposed to be at the outset and thus exactly how creepy his relationship with the queen is. I think like 35-40.

I would really like to read a sequel to Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman. Direct or otherwise. And another book in Neil Gaiman's American Gods setting.

Gaiman is actually making another American Gods related book, along with an HBO series.

Mightyblue
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Yeah, Eddings' last series, the Dreamers didn't turn out all that well. Just, breezy pacing and writing even by his standards and narrative turns that didn't make a whole lot of sense with things established in previous books.

What I'd have really killed for is another book set in the Losers/Regina's Song setting though.

Jeanie
12-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm still waiting for Elizabeth Haydon to put out the next book in the Symphony of Ages series. It's been almost 6 years now since book 6 came out.

Mightyblue
12-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Ho ho ho, that series. For all that it's written by a lady, it has some problems vis a vis women and the men who love them.

Jeanie
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Ho ho ho, that series. For all that it's written by a lady, it has some problems vis a vis women and the men who love them.

Oh trust me, I've noticed the problems with it, but I just want some damn closure. True Fact: I cut an hour off my already fast reading time of the last book when I just started skipping every thing that was copy and pasted from the other books. That's about 60-75 pages worth!

Mightyblue
12-17-2012, 11:28 PM
If we're talking about that wave of Australian high fantasy that made it's way over here in the early 00's, whatever happened to the Wayfarer Redemption series? I remember reading the first trilogy and the first book of the second set, but did that ever get finished?

Evil Dead Junkie
12-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Well if we're just talking about books that never come out now, Godamnit Scott Lynch!

Also to import from comics What. The. Fuck. Ever happened to The Umbrella Academy?

Karzac
12-18-2012, 05:22 AM
I'd be fine with The Mediocre Gatsby.

That's the prequel.

Büge
12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
What about The Worst Gatsby?

teg
12-18-2012, 11:58 AM
The Great Gatling Gunsby.

Not prose, but I wish someone had the guts to finish Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix. Due to the way Phoenix's story jumps around in time, it's a rare case of a story where everything except the climax was finished before the author's death, and nobody can definitively say what the narrative turning point was supposed to be (though I have what I feel to be a pretty solid guess).

Jeanie
12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
If we're talking about that wave of Australian high fantasy that made it's way over here in the early 00's, whatever happened to the Wayfarer Redemption series? I remember reading the first trilogy and the first book of the second set, but did that ever get finished?

Yeah, it got Terrible, basically it ended with "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies". Then Sara Douglass did a THIRD trilogy that tied in a bunch of the stand alone novels she did and it ended badly too.

taosterman
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM

It says a lot about fantasy that "this series really could have used a third pentalogy" is an adequate answer to the question. :)

Torzelbaum
12-18-2012, 07:13 PM
The Greater Gatsby

The Greatest Gatsby.Maybe the sequel should skip a few generations: The Great-grandson Gatsby.

Googleshng
12-19-2012, 02:30 PM
It says a lot about fantasy that "this series really could have used a third pentalogy" is an adequate answer to the question. :)

Not so much as it says something about Roger Zelazny's phobia of massive page counts. He wrote, essentially, 2 novels... and then broke each up into 5 little bite-sized mini-books. The word count is low enough that you can get the whole 10 book series as a single paperback these days (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380809060/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=12813018467&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6740273332098331081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_5h0rwzw5l3_e), not really any more unwieldly than, say, A Dance With Dragons all by itself.

Also huh. The little preview button on that page accidentally gives you the entire freaking book.

Mightyblue
12-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, it got Terrible, basically it ended with "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies". Then Sara Douglass did a THIRD trilogy that tied in a bunch of the stand alone novels she did and it ended badly too.

Huh, I would've pegged it with Cthuloid space horrors eating everyone, but eh.

ETA: Now that I think about it, that series would make a good Warhammer (OG...and maybe even 40k) fanfic.

Paul le Fou
12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
101 Years of Solitude
3 AM's Children
The Sun Also Sets
Gatsby.

Olli T
12-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Not so much as it says something about Roger Zelazny's phobia of massive page counts. He wrote, essentially, 2 novels... and then broke each up into 5 little bite-sized mini-books. The word count is low enough that you can get the whole 10 book series as a single paperback these days (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380809060/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=12813018467&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6740273332098331081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_5h0rwzw5l3_e), not really any more unwieldly than, say, A Dance With Dragons all by itself.

Also huh. The little preview button on that page accidentally gives you the entire freaking book.

Yeah. I have the omnibus paperback edition and while it's pretty large for a single book, it's not like a freakishly big uberbook or anything.

Rascally Badger
12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I know I was joking about it earlier, but why does anyone actually want a sequel to The Great Gatsby? Is there anything more that needs to be said about the characters in it?