PDA

View Full Version : Zaphod's just this guy, you know? The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Thread

chud_666
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Rereading these on my new kindle and lovin it.

On Restaurant now - Zaphod is hilarious, but I kinda hate when these get too far from Arthur's point of view. His misanthropic bewilderment is awesome.

So come: discuss.

Parish
01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
These books and Larry Hama's G.I. Joe comics pretty much shaped my worldview circa 1986, which probably explains all the bad things ever.

I'm sad Adams didn't live long enough to complete his intended redaction of "Mostly Harmless," which he admitted was terrible because he wrote it while in a very angry place in life.

The Raider Dr. Jones
01-29-2013, 02:00 PM
These books and Larry Hama's G.I. Joe comics pretty much shaped my worldview circa 1986, which probably explains all the bad things ever.
I too took a great deal of influence from these at an early age. If I had been vigorously beaten every time I attempted to quote or reference them in civilized conversation, it probably would have had a strong positive effect on the development of my personality. Whaddaya gonna do.

I'm sad Adams didn't live long enough to complete his intended redaction of "Mostly Harmless," which he admitted was terrible because he wrote it while in a very angry place in life.
I never heard it explained that way, but that makes a lot of sense. There are still a few parts of the book I'm fond of, though. At least it finds a happy ending for Elvis Presley.

Wolfgang
01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

I always thought it made sense - the cynicism that permeated the books and Adams' general worldview building to a head in the final book means that universe would pretty much have to go out with a *drawn-out farting noise*. Arthur Dent's fate is to be a complete loser, and it's appropriate that he basically drags the rest of reality down with him. It's not a feel-good ending but it works in the context of the series.

Has anyone read the most recent book by that other guy? I did, but it's mostly escaped my memory for lack of anything terribly substantial. What I remember is that it felt like fanfiction, namedropping things from the "real" series just for the sake of it.

ThricebornPhoenix
01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Arthur Dent's fate is to be a complete loser, and it's appropriate that he basically drags the rest of reality down with him. It's not a feel-good ending but it works in the context of the series.
The fourth and fifth books in the series trilogy are noticeably more bleak than the first three. To me, it did not feel the way the end of the series should have felt.

What I remember is that it felt like fanfiction, namedropping things from the "real" series just for the sake of it.
As I recall, it completely changed the main premise of the original series from "Arthur Dent is as unlucky as everyone sometimes feels" to "The multiverse is sentient and actively trying to kill Arthur Dent, every last one of him", for some reason, which strikes me as both unnecessary and pretty much the opposite of what Adams said he wanted to do with the sixth book.

chud_666
01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
I like MH - a lot. It is a downer, but still kinda great. The 6th book is a little under appreciated, but has same issues as rest and Life... Which is - its the Zaphod hour. Which is cool and all- but i like hapless Dent.

Parish
01-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Mostly Harmless had a Fat-Elvis-in-space bit. Even when the book was first released, that felt uninspired and trite to me. I confess I haven't read it since then, but the whole book (not just the ending) felt really off to me. Not wry and witty, just bitter and hopeless with the occasional effort to make a half-hearted joke thrown in out of a sense of duty.

I don't know. I recently reread Dirk Gently for the first time since 7th grade and realized it was absolutely brilliant, because I was too young and too ignorant of science and history to appreciate it as a junior high kid. I don't think I'd have the same revelation with Mostly Harmless. Am I wrong?

Octopus Prime
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
The interesting thing about Mostly Harmless is that if you know it's coming, you can pinpoint the exact sentence that Adams said "Oh the HELL with it all!"

Sarcasmorator
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Has anyone read the most recent book by that other guy? I did, but it's mostly escaped my memory for lack of anything terribly substantial. What I remember is that it felt like fanfiction, namedropping things from the "real" series just for the sake of it.

Yeah, pretty much. "And Another Thing ..." wasn't terrible, but it was less "Here is something funny!" and more "Here is a direct callback to something funny from a previous book!" Kinda unremarkable. You could even call it ... mostly harmless.

chud_666
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Mostly Harmless had a Fat-Elvis-in-space bit. Even when the book was first released, that felt uninspired and trite to me. I confess I haven't read it since then, but the whole book (not just the ending) felt really off to me. Not wry and witty, just bitter and hopeless with the occasional effort to make a half-hearted joke thrown in out of a sense of duty.

I don't know. I recently reread Dirk Gently for the first time since 7th grade and realized it was absolutely brilliant, because I was too young and too ignorant of science and history to appreciate it as a junior high kid. I don't think I'd have the same revelation with Mostly Harmless. Am I wrong?

I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Wolfgang
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
"And Another Thing ..." wasn't terrible

Nope. But it didn't feel like a book Douglas Adams wrote, for the above-mentioned reasons. Pretty much the only time Adams brought things back from previous books were in the service of plot points; otherwise he just made up some new ridiculous thing. Even if Eoin Colfer had just made up more new stuff it would have been much more in the spirit of the older series.

Somewhat off-topic: I'd read that Terry Pratchett's daughter is slated to take over the Discworld series going forth. I'm wondering how all that'll turn out.

Adam
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Somewhat off-topic: I'd read that Terry Pratchett's daughter is slated to take over the Discworld series going forth. I'm wondering how all that'll turn out.

<new tomb raider snark>

The Raider Dr. Jones
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Mostly Harmless had a Fat-Elvis-in-space bit.

Aw, I liked the Elvis in space bit. Possibly this shows the magnitude of my weakness for easy sentimentality, which is vast and terrible.

SpoonyBardOL
01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I enjoyed 'And another Thing...' for what it was, though as the release of the book approached I found myself having to intentionally temper my expectations. I was initially really excited for a new H2G2 book, but I knew if I got my hopes up they would only be dashed. I didn't lower them sufficiently so that the book blew me away (because let's face it, it was still a new H2G2 book and I couldn't not anticipate it) but I succeeded in keeping the book from disappointing me.

I found that after the half-way point, or so, Colfer stopped relying so heavily on 'hey remember THIS from the original books?!', it was like he gradually built up the confidence to do his own thing in the second half. There were still callbacks, but they weren't as frequent or blatant. I remember finishing the book and thinking 'Yeah, that could've been better... but I'd still be interested in reading another sequel by Colfer'. I think a second Eoin Colfer H2G2 book would be a lot more polished after testing the waters with And Another Thing. Dunno if it'll ever happen with the lukewarm reception it received though.

Also is this a thread to talk about the old TV series and/or movie? At least mention in passing? Because I gotta be honest, despite its flaws I still enjoyed the movie. I thought Arthur, Ford, and even Zaphod were all cast very well, weirdness with Zaphod's second head aside, and I think Bill Nighy played a great Slartibartfast. (Plus Alan Rickman as Marvin was just delightful) The only casting choice I really didn't like was Trillian, though there I guess it was less how she was casted and more how she was written. The 'one true love' nonsense between Arthur and Trillian felt so obviously forced by executive meddling as well and was easily the lowest part of the movie, well that and the mostly ignored filler plot with Humma Kavula. At least he had an interesting design.

I think the movie could've been a lot better if it were more bold and didn't play things so safe. At least I appreciate the muppetry of the Vogons since they could've easily just been CG monstrosities.

Meditative_Zebra
01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
I've recently been listening to the radio version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Particularly, I've been listening to the Tertiary Phase through Quintessential Phase (which roughly correspond to books 3-5). I was a bit surprised by how much I enjoyed these!

MikeDinosaur
01-30-2013, 08:14 AM
I could never get into the books; they always read like script transcriptions to me. When I found out they were radio shows first it made a lot more sense. I really enjoyed the radio shows; I definitely think they're the way to go. I also generally envy the awesome radio stuff the British get.

Rosencrantz
01-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Am I weird for liking So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish more than Restaurant and Life/Universe/Everything? I enjoyed all the scenes with Arthur and Fenchurch getting to know each other and, in general, I liked the more relaxed tone. When rereading the books, I could never finish the third one because I always felt that it got really weird and less interesting in the last quarter or so, but it's been over ten years since the last time I read it, so I don't really remember.

Nodal
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM

No way, because I actually did the exact same thing recently.

Joe McGuffin
01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I could never get into the books; they always read like script transcriptions to me. When I found out they were radio shows first it made a lot more sense.

Interesting. My first exposure to the books was my best friend's mom reading the books aloud to us, which I recall very fondly.

And (too?)-early exposure to 2000AD, Douglas Adams, Larry Hama, and Stan Sakai basically gave me the fatalistic and ironic viewpoint from which I navigate life. It seems to have worked out OK on the whole, and at least I knew from a very young age that Faust doesn't rhyme with Proust.

namelessentity
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM

No way, because I actually did the exact same thing recently.

Which reminds me that the last time I read Dirk Gently was in 8th grade, so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Kirin
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM

I don't know. I recently reread Dirk Gently for the first time since 7th grade and realized it was absolutely brilliant, because I was too young and too ignorant of science and history to appreciate it as a junior high kid. I don't think I'd have the same revelation with Mostly Harmless.

Yeah, as much as I adore HHGTTG and would eagerly consume more from DNA playing in that universe when he was a bit less depressed and angry, if you had to press me I'd probably be even more interested in the next Dirk Gently novel. Though I forget whether Salmon of Doubt was in a DG-novel or non-DG-novel revision at its latest point. (I do have the published postmortem collection, but the isolated chapters there aren't terribly conclusive.)

And on the subject of the Colfer addition, like several other people here I remember it as being "okay"... but I can't for the life of me recall a single actual plot point from it now. Granted, my memory is crap, and I've read all the other books multiple times.

Also, as long as we're ranging a bit afield, if anyone in this thread hasn't read Last Chance to See, you should track it down stat.

Adam
01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
The 'one true love' nonsense between Arthur and Trillian felt so obviously forced by executive meddling as well and was easily the lowest part of the movie

That was Adams' doing. (http://slashdot.org/story/05/04/26/1952248/hhg2g-exec-producer-robbie-stamp-answers)

Pombar
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
How did it take 15 replies to mention the original Radio show? Madness. The book series didn't ever feel like anything besides a second class citizen next to the excellence of the radio show.

Heck, even the post-Adams series of the radio show are miles better than the post-Adams (and arguably later Adams) novels.

SpoonyBardOL
01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
That was Adams' doing. (http://slashdot.org/story/05/04/26/1952248/hhg2g-exec-producer-robbie-stamp-answers)

Wow, really? Huh. I honestly would not have expected that at all, it just feels so poorly done.

Though the article doesn't say how much of the way it was executed was Adams' idea, though. I have a hard time swallowing the 'is she the one' bit was something he wrote.

Sanagi
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
The best thing I ever found at a garage sale was the original radio show on vinyl.

I also like the BBC TV version, even if the costumes and effects are often laughable. David Dixon as Ford makes up for everything.

Adam
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I have a hard time swallowing the 'is she the one' bit was something he wrote.

I am inclined to agree with you on that part, yes.

shivam
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
i have to say, for all that i love the first three, my favorite scene is the chapter where Dent is a sandwich maker in book 5. I don't know why, but i just love reading that part.

The Raider Dr. Jones
01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
i have to say, for all that i love the first three, my favorite scene is the chapter where Dent is a sandwich maker in book 5. I don't know why, but i just love reading that part.

I feel the same way, but I know exactly why -- it's pretty much the one time in the entire series where Arthur Dent gets to be entirely at peace. Even the bits of So Long... where he's in love and all that have a few bits of uncertainty roiling about in the background. Not the case when he's just making sandwiches. I like it a lot. This is I think again that sentimentality thing of mine at work.

shivam
01-30-2013, 04:55 PM
yeah, yeah, i think that's it exactly. it's practically zen compared to the insanity of the rest of his life.

chud_666
01-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Wow, really? Huh. I honestly would not have expected that at all, it just feels so poorly done.

Though the article doesn't say how much of the way it was executed was Adams' idea, though. I have a hard time swallowing the 'is she the one' bit was something he wrote.

Yeah - one of my fave things is how she is completely uninterested in him.

Octopus Prime
01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Dirk Gently is one of those books that gets exponentially better each time I read it.

Adam
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
yeah, yeah, i think that's it exactly. it's practically zen compared to the insanity of the rest of his life.

I actually zone out a little every time I read the bit about the knife.

The Raider Dr. Jones
01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Knives. There were three of them as I recall. Maybe four? It was many years ago.

The profound cruelty of Mostly Harmless really has nothing to do with the whole cast getting croaked at the end, it's in the fact that Arthur Dent gets to be perfectly happy for just a little while, so he can remember more clearly what it's like when the universe/Adams starts kicking him in the nuts again.

Adam
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah. Knives. kniiiiiiiiiiivessssssssss

Lumber Baron
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
I was introduced to the series through the radio play, so that's always the definitive version in my mind. I'm not even sure I've read all the books.

It's just not HGttG without obscure Eagles songs!

Sheana
01-30-2013, 09:03 PM
I think I've read Mostly Harmless a total of...once? Maaaybe twice? It just upset me so much as a kid, and upon hearing that Adams wrote it when in a dark place and meant to 'undo' it eventually, I just sort of went Full Angry Nerd and struck the thing from my mental canon of all things H2G2. I'm even sort of ambivalent about So Long, even though it's a nice little meandering slice-of-life kind of novel, just because it's so random and out there. But, it and Meaning Of Life bring a nice closure to the series in every respect: Arthur gets to actually be kind of happy, Ford's wandering around doing his thing, Zaphod and Trillian 'settle down', Marvin finally achieves peace. Hell, they'd even saved the universe from horrible war. There was literally nothing else to be said or done, but I suppose that's 'we want a sequel!!' for you.

But oh yes, I adored everything Hitchhiker's as a kid. Got all the books in one nice volume, stole my dad's original hardcovers of Guide and Restaurant for myself, watched the shitty TV miniseries. Went and saw the movie carrying a towel, even. That movie holds up slightly less and less the more I watch & think about it, but it's still got some nice things going for it. Definitely not Arthur & Trillian as one true loves and moronic 'we need to make fun of Dubya for the millionth time' Zaphod. Trillian is kind of a jerk! She and Zaphod more or less deserve each other, haha.

I only ever heard the original radioplays for the first time like last year or so, I'd just never managed to get my hands on 'em before. They're pretty nice for the most part, but jarring to my book-fed tastes! And gosh darn it, Journey Of The Sorceror is just such a great theme song to have, especially the cheesey synth-y versions made especially for H2G2 stuff.

Also read Dirk Gently growing up, but it's the weirdest thing - I can only ever seem to find copies of Long Dark Tea-Time when I go looking for Adams stuff? Holistic Detective Agency is pretty much never to be found, which means I haven't read the first book since I found it in the school library back in the day. I need to try finding it again.

shivam
01-30-2013, 09:13 PM
the radio drama is one of my favorite things ever.

ThricebornPhoenix
01-31-2013, 03:19 AM
I feel the same way, but I know exactly why -- it's pretty much the one time in the entire series where Arthur Dent gets to be entirely at peace.
Also, by that point, the idea of Arthur leading a 'normal' life has accrued the innate fascination of all things surreal.

Meditative_Zebra
01-31-2013, 04:11 AM
I only ever heard the original radioplays for the first time like last year or so, I'd just never managed to get my hands on 'em before. They're pretty nice for the most part, but jarring to my book-fed tastes! And gosh darn it, Journey Of The Sorceror is just such a great theme song to have, especially the cheesey synth-y versions made especially for H2G2 stuff.

So that's what the theme song is called. I've always quite liked it...and I just looked it up on youtube and discovered it was written by The Eagles. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.

And though I like the theme song a lot and am enjoying the radio series I'm also someone who was brought up on the books and it's a bit jarring to listen to the radio version just because it doesn't always fit in with my mental preconceptions about the way the characters should sound. But it is steadily growing on me.

And another thing! The more recently produced parts of the radio version of the Hitchhiker's Guide have cast William Franklyn as the voice of The Book. And I fondly remember Franklyn for the voice-over work he did as the narrator in Startopia, a vaguely SimCity style of a PC game I fondly remember but can't get running on my modern computer.

The Raider Dr. Jones
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
the radio drama is one of my favorite things ever.
My folks bought me the series on tape for Christmas when I was a kid, and I am sure regretted their decision terribly over the next several years when I insisted on listening to it repeatedly on long car trips.

I never knew, for some reason, that the theme song was actually a popular song and not something written for the purpose. Nifty

That movie holds up slightly less and less the more I watch & think about it
Aside from the Guide entry bits with Stephen Fry I see no value in it, but the Stephen Fry bits are pretty great.

chud_666
01-31-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with that - the casting is uniformly excellent. Freeman, despite being short is great, Mos Def totally comes off as an alien pretending to be human and Rockwell is a revelation as Zaphod. Like all this sleazy bluster, an amalgam of the worst traits of Clinton, W and like the biggest blowhard you've ever met. It's wild. Zoey D is less successful, but I'd say its because of now being into Arthur.

shivam
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I actually own that eagles record! I was stunned the first time I turned it on and heard the theme.

SpoonyBardOL
01-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Fun fact: By the time The Hobbit rolled around I never really paid attention to who they got to play Bilbo, and the entire movie I was convinced I knew the actor from some other similar role but couldn't quite place it thanks to the make-up and suddenly HOLY CRAP IT'S ARTHUR DENT.

So I guess Freeman is well versed in playing the 'put-upon everyman thrust into the wider world/universe by a collection of fantastic and absurd individuals' sort of character.

Sheana
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Rockwell is a revelation as Zaphod. Like all this sleazy bluster, an amalgam of the worst traits of Clinton, W and like the biggest blowhard you've ever met.

Yeah, that's exactly what I don't like. Years and years of people making horny Clinton and stupid Dubya jokes everywhere really annoyed the hell out of me, I don't need to have every single movie that comes out have some sort of thinly-veiled metaphor for Bush ruining everything. Zaphod's a jerk with varying amount of sleazy and stupid, but it's a pretty different sort of jerk, and it just felt off as hell.

But yeah, the movie did have some good things going for it. Good casting, amazing Vogons, a great narrator in Stephen Fry. If only it weren't a Disney-fied Happy Ending cornball edition.

Joe McGuffin
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what I don't like. Years and years of people making horny Clinton and stupid Dubya jokes everywhere really annoyed the hell out of me, I don't need to have every single movie that comes out have some sort of thinly-veiled metaphor for Bush ruining everything. Zaphod's a jerk with varying amount of sleazy and stupid, but it's a pretty different sort of jerk, and it just felt off as hell.

I agree, but Zaphod was always a joke about terrible Presidents, so it's hardly inappropriate. Frankly, I could never understand how anyone could possibly stand to be around Zaphod at all in the novels or TV, the movie version at least seems like a fun guy to be around if he's not busting your balls at the moment. I kind of had the same thought about Ford, in the novels he always came off as just barely tolerating Arthur at best, and at worst actively trolling him, Mos Def makes him just seem like such a weirdo that the horrible mind games he plays aren't intentional.

I'm still amazed that the movie was pretty much perfectly cast but then not funny or interesting at all.

Sanagi
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Mostly Harmless is the only book where I liked Trillian. So there's that.

BŁge
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
I liked the 2005 movie better than the book and I hope they make a sequel.

Octopus Prime
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM

You and me, Buge.

We know what's-what.

Sheana
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
I just prefer ex-trickster ex-hippie coolcat Mark Wing-Davey Zaphod to 'gee whiz I'm a dumb Texan president do you GET IT' Zaphod.

Mostly Harmless is the only book where I liked Trillian. So there's that.

Yeah, it's a shame it was mostly negated by Other Trillian continuing to be an increasingly terrible person, not paying attention to Random and then dumping her on Arthur, claiming he needed to take responsibility when she was the one who'd decided to use his donated genetic material to have a kid.

Movie Marvin was so weirdly neutered, too. Just a cute, generically sleek bobblehead with corny joke lines and a ton of his dark humor cut out to fit Disney better. I mean, they got friggin' Alan Rickman to voice him. There is nothing sadder than great casting in a wasted opportunity of a movie, nnnghhhh.

Also: when they say the restaurant's at the end of the universe they don't mean THAT sort of end NNGGHHHHH

Meditative_Zebra
01-31-2013, 11:16 PM

Wait what how I don't even this is so inconceivable

I just prefer ex-trickster ex-hippie coolcat Mark Wing-Davey Zaphod to 'gee whiz I'm a dumb Texan president do you GET IT' Zaphod.

Mark Wing-Davey is a pretty damn groovy Zaphod Beeblebrox.

chud_666
01-31-2013, 11:56 PM
You mean froody.

Meditative_Zebra
02-01-2013, 01:37 AM
In hindsight it's obvious that I should have used that word. What a juju-flop on my part.

chud_666
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Belgium!

Adrenaline
02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
I read the original trilogy in high school I think and really liked it, though I did find Mostly Harmless to be less enjoyable and not in the spirit of the series. I read And Another Thing... too, and I thought it wasn't bad but I was sort of confused because it kind of felt like it wasn't even trying to be funny. Anyone who enjoys Hitchhiker's Guide and hasn't read the two Dirk Gently books really should. They're similar in tone but different enough to feel distinct, and the first one in particular is genius. It's probably Adams' best book.

The Raider Dr. Jones
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Today's Google doodle (https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww) is worth a few minutes' fiddling around.

Sanagi
03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Today's Google doodle (https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww) is worth a few minutes' fiddling around.
I think this is my second favorite one after playable Pac-Man.

Edit: Marvin is behind the door!

Here's a permanent link. (http://www.google.com/doodles/douglas-adams-61st-birthday)

Pombar
03-14-2013, 05:10 AM
You mean hoopy.

chud_666
04-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Ok just finished Mostly Harmless. Its pretty great. My only issues with it is that Random is undeveloped, and while important to the story its lame Fenchurch was erased from existence. Plus:

He seemed to have tears in his eyes, which Arthur found disturbing. He'd never seen Ford moved by anything other than very, very strong drink.

And

"I always feel a bit bad about foie gras. Bit cruel to the geese isn't it?"

"Fuck 'em,' said Ford "you can't care about every damned thing."

Also So Long was also excellent - with Dent and Fenchurch feeling out of time. Plus this:

Does he not, to put it in a nutshell, fuck?

I'd read And Another Thing - alas its 17$ on kindle... 17$!!!!

The Raider Dr. Jones
04-17-2013, 10:26 AM
The bit about geese is a callback to some throwaway line like three books previous where it's noted that Ford Prefect is opposed to cruelty to all animals except geese. Not sure what the joke was meant to be at the time.

BŁge
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
You ever been around geese? They're vicious, feathery assholes with a gang mentality and beaks like giant wooden clothespins.

Teaspoon
04-17-2013, 08:21 PM
The bit about geese is a callback to some throwaway line like three books previous where it's noted that Ford Prefect is opposed to cruelty to all animals except geese. Not sure what the joke was meant to be at the time.

The joke in "Life, the Universe, and Everything", as I recall, is that the reason Ford makes an exception for geese is specifically so that he can continue to enjoy foie gras, because it's too delicious for him to think of giving up.

I seem to recall hearing a joke about how Adams wrote more about taxes and expense accounts in later Hitchhikers material as a direct result of how much money the first book had made him, but I can't seem to place it just now.

chud_666
04-18-2013, 06:12 AM
You ever been around geese? They're vicious, feathery assholes with a gang mentality and beaks like giant wooden clothespins.

Yeah I'm with Ford and Buge on this one.