PDA

View Full Version : Revive Retronauts!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nobuyuki
03-22-2013, 06:04 PM
It looks like there's hope for more Retronauts (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2005831476/revive-retronauts-your-favorite-classic-gaming-pod)! A Kickstarter just went up with the goal of funding another season of the show. Fancy physical rewards include buttons, t-shirts and a DVD. If you're feeling particularly generous you can pick a topic or appear on the show yourself. Go now, back this project and help the dream live on!

Sprite
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Oh cool! I'm totally in for this.

Sporophyte
03-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Yup, donated for that.

ajr82
03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm down if and only if there's an option to get the rewards shipped to Canada, even if it costs me a little more.

I'm also curious about what the legal situation would be for the name and logo/branding, since presumably that forms part of the assets Ziff Davis purchased with 1up.

teg
03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Parish, if you guys weren't doing this during the one month when I'm going to be absolutely broke, I would be plunking down the $150 to finally get a Metroid episode like that.

Kazin
03-22-2013, 07:23 PM
In for $30.

It was a great surprise to see the Kickstarter page at the end of the panel at PAX East!

sfried
03-22-2013, 07:32 PM
DVD is mine! I hope you guys have more Bonus Stage eps in that warehouse somewhere.

Son of Sinistar
03-22-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm in for this!

jpfriction
03-22-2013, 08:16 PM
In for $50. Shirt will go good with my idle thumbs and zombicide ones.

Falselogic
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
All the higher tier rewards are already taken?!

Nobuyuki
03-22-2013, 08:23 PM
All the higher tier rewards are already taken?!

So it seems. It looks like the physical rewards will fill up soon too. I'm kinda glad the choose the topic reward tier is gone though, because I was awfully close to pledging an amount of money I really shouldn't.

ASandoval
03-22-2013, 08:30 PM
It looks like this is going to happen today.

I am positively stoked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgXObaM9i2Q).

Googleshng
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
So this is looking like it's going to hit the goal within the first day here. Suppose I'd better quit dragging my feet catching up with archives.

R.R. Bigman
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't know the first thing about Kickstarter but if Jer Bear needs money to keep Retronauts going, I will give him some.

Do I need a credit card? If so, can I use a pre-paid one from stores?

fanboymaster
03-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Backed for $30, I need the moon disc with the video files on it or I shan't survive.

Falselogic
03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't know the first thing about Kickstarter but if Jer Bear needs money to keep Retronauts going, I will give him some.

Do I need a credit card? If so, can I use a pre-paid one from stores?

It uses Amazon Payments which work with CCs

R.R. Bigman
03-22-2013, 09:06 PM
It uses Amazon Payments which work with CCs

I have Amazon monies, can I use that?

Karzac
03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
I stopped listening to Retronauts a while ago, but I will be backing this.

Nobuyuki
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
That was what, two hours for the goal to be met?

sfried
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Hallelujah!!! Retronauts live!

Falselogic
03-22-2013, 09:42 PM
I have Amazon monies, can I use that?

I don't know; wouldn't hurt to try?

sfried
03-22-2013, 11:15 PM
I think it would be a good idea to give more pledge prize options for those who missed out on the DVD.

Pombar
03-22-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm just here for the T-Shirt and the delicious new episodes. Awesome how well it's filling up!

Psyael
03-22-2013, 11:27 PM
All those items sold out fast.

I hope this Retronauts decides to go ahead and add the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation as "retro" topics. I know it will make everyone involved feel really old because they were New Games Journalists when those systems were new, but it's time.

Matchstick
03-22-2013, 11:28 PM
I was at PAX all day, so I didn't find out about this until it was already funded. I'd have loved to jump on the co-hosting tier, but I took solace in contributing at all.

Parish
03-23-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm down if and only if there's an option to get the rewards shipped to Canada, even if it costs me a little more.

I'm also curious about what the legal situation would be for the name and logo/branding, since presumably that forms part of the assets Ziff Davis purchased with 1up.

We're not actually going to use the original logo beyond that one icon reference in the KS page. We're making a clean break from the old content and imagery.

But the name? I don't know. I started Retronauts as a series on this site, then occasionally on my 1UP blog, and it was kind of co-opted by the ZD magazines once I reused the name for a podcast. But I registered retronauts.com before it was ever a thing on 1UP and later offered the domain to the company at cost; they shrugged and said, "No thanks." Meanwhile, IGN isn't interested in starting up any new podcasts, and when I broached the topic of bringing Retronauts to the site in some form I was told, "OK, but you know we also own the domain classicgaming.com, right? Why not do something with that?"

So, at this point, the only conflict I can foresee would come from a corporation being dickish about a property it doesn't care about and did nothing to foster simply for the sake of making a couple of people it laid off even more miserable. Which is to say, it could happen, but I don't see any benefit for anyone in it.

Googleshng
03-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Pretty sure you're in the clear as far as copyright goes (unless there's some really bad blood somewhere and someone felt like trying for a nuisance suit). But then I'm not exactly an expert on these things.

Also, is the plan to just kinda rent someone else's recording studio on the weekends, or are you full on setting something up from scratch?

Also mildly curious what you're going to end up doing if that number keeps on climbing up like this all month long. Because seriously, that hit the Funded point damn quick all things considered.

Pombar
03-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Also mildly curious what you're going to end up doing if that number keeps on climbing up like this all month long. Because seriously, that hit the Funded point damn quick all things considered.More than 26 episodes is my guess.

shivam
03-23-2013, 02:28 AM
man, in the time it took for me to decide what topic i wanted, all the top tiers were gone. alas, my dream civilization/star control podcast will have to live in my head.

Positronic Brain
03-23-2013, 04:24 AM
man, in the time it took for me to decide what topic i wanted, all the top tiers were gone. alas, my dream civilization/star control podcast will have to live in my head.

I know! I *so* wanted the DVD, and I would have considered higher pledges if they hadn't been all gone by the time I found out about this. On the other hand, I guess Parish will take solace in the fact that, hadn't this kickstarter been launched in the middle of the European night, one of the topics for the Retronauts revival would have been an entire hour of "Xeno-" games ;)

Anyway, brb, making a pledge.

teg
03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I hope somebody who got the "choose your own topic" tier decides to use it to troll the 'nauts and make them do a whole episode about No One Can Stop Mr. Domino! or something.

R.R. Bigman
03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm going to the store to get a pre-paid credit card in a bit so I can (hopefully) pledge some money. I would like that radical T-shirt...

Alex
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Wow, congratulations on hitting your goal basically immediately. I chipped in ten bucks, I was pretty upset at the prospect of no more new episodes.

Balrog
03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Let's set the bar a little higher next time.

Vaeran
03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Looks like they've added more DVDs, shirts, etc. for those who missed out yesterday.

EDIT: And more of the high-end prizes as well. Maybe now Shane Bettenhausen can just BUY his long-awaited Nihon Telenet episode.

Excitemike
03-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I totally want a No One Can Stop Mr. Domino episode, but not that badly.

Phat
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
All those items sold out fast.

I hope this Retronauts decides to go ahead and add the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation as "retro" topics. I know it will make everyone involved feel really old because they were New Games Journalists when those systems were new, but it's time.

Haha, when retronauts started "10 years ago" was 1996. Now 10 years ago is 2003, and in a couple years 10 years ago will involve the launch of the 360.

And then after that we'll be dead I guess

R.R. Bigman
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I pledged $30! I'm helping!

UnderHandedNM
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for adding more goodies, I upped from $50 to $80!

A small price to pay for all the laughs you guys have given me. Thanks for bringing it back!

Jeanie
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
EDIT: And more of the high-end prizes as well. Maybe now Shane Bettenhausen can just BUY his long-awaited Nihon Telenet episode.

I will throw $10 in to make this happen!

bobbywatson
03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm sick and tired of hearing about Kickstarter... so here's 10$, Retronauts.

Looking forward to more episodes, and thank you for the hours of entertainment that you've provided over the years!

Wolfgang
03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
I would totally get a shirt if it's the old astronaut design.

E: Or $150 for a Klax episode

E2: legit serious about a Klax episode, I have $150 I could put towards it. It would have to be ENTIRELY about Klax, no tangents, no mention of any other games (except as a brief comparison to Klax). And no cheaping out with a ten minute installment, it would have to be an hour at least.

E3 Electronic Entertainment Exposition: again, very legitimately serious about funding an episode based around Klax for $150

Parish
03-23-2013, 06:18 PM
We're gonna do at least two shirt designs to choose from. I don't see why one of them couldn't be the astronaut? It started out as a T-shirt design to begin with.

sfried
03-23-2013, 06:22 PM
We're gonna do at least two shirt designs to choose from. I don't see why one of them couldn't be the astronaut? It started out as a T-shirt design to begin with.

The Astronaut is iconic at this point so I can't think of any alternative design other than...Toastyfrog?

Wolfgang
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM

SOLD

(Still completely serious about Klax)

Excitemike
03-23-2013, 07:29 PM
SOLD

(Still completely serious about Klax)

So put your money where your mouth is. And do it before I decide how badly I want a Jumping Flash episode.

Falselogic
03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Never before have I wished that I had more disposable income than now.

Nobuyuki
03-23-2013, 07:50 PM
So put your money where your mouth is. And do it before I decide how badly I want a Jumping Flash episode.

That's if more of the $150 tier open up. If that happens I'm jumping on it so we can get a Parappa episode.

Wolfgang
03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
That's if more of the $150 tier open up. If that happens I'm jumping on it so we can get a Parappa episode.

Exactly - if it were still open I would have already bought the most uninteresting, dull, hilarious episode of Retronauts ever, and I remember the Dreamcast retrospective. Jumping Flash episode would be the Algonquin round table in comparison.

Sprite
03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Hmmm, that's funny, the $150 tier is showing 1 or 12 left.

So, you know...

sfried
03-23-2013, 09:10 PM
The only thing left are the DVD pledges and T-Shirt ones (but not both).

Wolfgang
03-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Yeah, as of right now it has 13, with none left.

TK Flash
03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
$125 mini episode tier is open Wolfie. Go get it!

Wolfgang
03-23-2013, 09:42 PM

...don't insult me.

Don't insult Klax!

Pombar
03-23-2013, 10:04 PM
It says 8/13 for me. So, 5 topics up for grabs! If I had the disposable cash I'd go for something 90s Macintosh-ey. Like Escape Velocity, or Spectre, or Myth, or Robosport, or something. Or Uncharted Waters because damn is that series cool.

But knowing for a fact that there's a whole slab of Retronauts I haven't heard, I'd have to check back to make sure those haven't been done. An excuse to go grab 'em all, I suppose!

The Raider Dr. Jones
03-23-2013, 10:07 PM
It says 8/13 for me. So, 5 topics up for grabs! If I had the disposable cash I'd go for something 90s Macintosh-ey. Like Escape Velocity, or Spectre, or Myth, or Robosport, or something. Or Uncharted Waters because damn is that series cool.

there is only Dark Castle, Dark Castle, or Dark Castle.

Adam
03-23-2013, 10:16 PM
there is only Dark Castle, Dark Castle, or Dark Castle.

Beyond Dark Castle?

Pombar
03-23-2013, 10:26 PM
there is only Dark Castle, Dark Castle, or Dark Castle.90s, not 80s! I wasn't alive when that came out, haha. 90s Mac games were a weird bunch anyhow. Weird Shareware games were pretty much all I played as a kid - Monkey Shines, System's Twilight, Quest of Yipe! III, Realmz, etc etc. Demo discs that came with MacFormat were all we had! I think Deadlock: Planetary Conquest was the first game we ever actually bought...

DANoWAR
03-24-2013, 02:36 AM
If I had the means to support, I would totally be up for an episode about Interactive Fiction.

"Welcome to Retronauts. It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Daikaiju
03-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Backing!

Wolfgang
03-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Oh, what the fuck. I thought he was joking, then I went to bed, and when I get up they're already gone. I thought you guys were all poor?

I'll still get an astronaut shirt, that logo is rad.

rkdn42
03-24-2013, 12:39 PM
In for the DVD!

Per Kicktraq (http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/2005831476/revive-retronauts-your-favorite-classic-gaming-pod/), currently trending toward:

http://i.imgur.com/q2NEnMD.jpg

Of course the trend will continue trending downward since most of the rewards have been claimed.

Pombar
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Every successful Kickstarter I've ever seen (and I've backed 30 at last count) has a surge up front, a period of flat demand for most of its span (that can spike if particularly enticing new reward tiers are added), and then another surge at the end. So watching a "trending toward" meter here in day 3 isn't going to produce any useful data.

I think some of these trendometres take that into account, though. They predict it based on trends in previous Kickstarters. Of course, sometimes you just get the big surge at the beginning when all the loyal fans find out about it, and then it kinda just drips more in slowly with a slight peak at the very end. Appeal outside the extant fanbase, stretch goals and rewards determine the life of a Kickstarter after that initial surge, I guess.

Parish
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Realistically, we're not even going to hit a quarter of that very optimistic projection. We have some (I think) cool new reward tiers that we're sorting out that could get us to double where we are now, but I imagine that's where we'll top out. Still, we initially shot for 12K because we figured that was a realistic goal for a month, with the most optimistic of us predicting maybe 25K if we were lucky, so we're doing pretty OK!

Voncaster
03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Retronauts is the first time I've used kicked starter. Happy to support Retronauts.

TK Flash
03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Oh, what the fuck. I thought he was joking, then I went to bed, and when I get up they're already gone.

Why the hell did you think I was joking? I swear I made that post within a minute that the update went up. There were 12 left!

Nobuyuki
03-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I got in for one of the mini-episodes. Keep watching, maybe someone will back out and free a slot. On a related note, there's a new reward tier!

OWN A PIECE OF CUSTOM RETRONAUTS ART. You pick a classic game, and we'll draw it for you! We've tapped some of our favorite artists to create fancy fan art at your command. You'll receive either the original piece or a digital print all neatly mounted and framed, and the best part is that the art belongs to you and you alone. So far, Bill Mudron, Rusty Shackles, Nick Daniels, and Jeremy Parish are on board with their paintbrushes ready, and we'll raise the number of images available if we can sweet talk more artists into joining.

If it hits 300k I recommend they buy a Ferrari and do an Outrun episode.

rkdn42
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Every successful Kickstarter I've ever seen (and I've backed 30 at last count) has a surge up front, a period of flat demand for most of its span (that can spike if particularly enticing new reward tiers are added), and then another surge at the end. So watching a "trending toward" meter here in day 3 isn't going to produce any useful data.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It is fun to watch it, though, and Kicktraq provides a chart with pledges and backers by day.

DANoWAR
03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
If I had the means to support, I would totally be up for an episode about Interactive Fiction.

"Welcome to Retronauts. It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Or an episode about 80's or 90's RPGs. Or an episode about the Ultima series. Or an episode about Legend adventures. Or an episode about Sierra games (invite Ryan Scott). Or a (well-prepared) episode about the C64. Or Or Or Or...

*g*

ajr82
03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
C'mon Wolfgang, you and I both no there is no longer time for Klax.

sfried
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I have upgraded my pledge to the full pack!

John
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
With those new tiers, I jumped up to the "Decide a game for the livestream marathon" level. I'm thinking... one of the Marathon games, or Pathways Into Darkness if they can either find an old mac or a proper emulator. I know that an hour isn't enough time to really delve into a FPS, and you can spend way more than an hour getting lost in the first level of Infinity. Still, I think Jeremy still has the chops for it, and Aleph One makes it easy.

breakman
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
we're also hashing out new stretch goal milestones. Solid details are forthcoming, but we know that we're going with a $78,000 goal, with which we'll produce a retronauts-exclusive let's play series, likely from an established pro in the lp community. Other goals still being nailed down include additional marathon streams that may take after a certain japanese tv show, and in time, we'll figure out how much it'll cost to bring in scott sharkey.

Ray in the Kacho uniform!!!

TheSL
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Ray in the Kacho uniform!!!

Ray Center CX

shivam
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
oh man, i should make them play civ for an hour...which will become two, then three, then fourty....

The Raider Dr. Jones
03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
proposed reward tier: the hosts get pixel art tattoos of your choice.

Ample Vigour
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Seriously why are you not charging $10,000 for a drinking contest with scott sharkey

you are leaving money on the table

Ample Vigour
03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
for $150,000 you track down thor antrim and do an entire episode on the last decade or so of his life

for $200,000 a coquettish jeremy parish will don a gothic lolita outfit complete with spats and parasol and debate the shortcomings of legend of grimrock with brickroad Pardon the Interruption style until the buyer is sated

sfried
03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I wonder, will it be possible to sustain Retronauts for more than just a year given how far the stretch goals have reached?

Wheels
03-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Damn it the $150 tier went already?

Dreams of a SaGa focused episode crushed

Googleshng
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
for $150,000 you track down thor antrim and do an entire episode on the last decade or so of his life

I actually talk to Thor darn near every day. A while ago the two of us had an RPG podcast (http://leveluppodcast.wordpress.com/) going.

Nobuyuki
03-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Damn it the $150 tier went already?

Dreams of a SaGa focused episode crushed

An entire Kawazu is Kawazy would be amazing.

Al Baron
03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
for $150,000 you track down thor antrim and do an entire episode on the last decade or so of his lifeThis except with Fritz Fraundorf.

Also, bring back the Gauntlet of Pain for the livestream.

Ample Vigour
03-26-2013, 09:24 PM
for $35,000 parish has to sit in silence for one hour as you make jokes about him not liking xenogears

Zef
03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
I hear the Chrono Compendium fanboys have pooled together 40 grand to get several episodes devoted to the glory and perfection of Chrono Cross.

sfried
03-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Woo! 2k more till we hit charitable Livestreams!

DANoWAR
03-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Woo! 2k more till we hit charitable Livestreams!

If I could PayPal...

madhair60
03-28-2013, 05:37 AM
I want an episode about Gex

Jeanie
03-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I want an episode about Bubsy!

What could possibly go wrong?!

shivam
03-28-2013, 01:34 PM

only if it comes along with a segment about the ouvre of Will Wright.

we can call it ... Gex and the City

sfried
03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I keep thinking Jake Kaufman is the only one qualified to make the new Retronauts theme. Him, and perhaps Yasunori Mitsuda....

Just 1k more to go...

Umby
03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Just backed for $50. I have been listening to Retronauts the past five years, and it jus felt about time to give back. And besides, that shirt looks rad! I hope Mackey and Jeremy continue making Retronauts the amazing show it is.

sfried
03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Just a few hundred dollars more...

Zef
03-31-2013, 03:58 PM

I want an episode about Bubsy

Weren't they covered in the Mascot Characters special a few--

*checks*

...six years ago?

DANoWAR
03-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Is it by chance or did someone do that on purpose that the Kickstarter is at the wonderful number of 42,000$ right now?

I don't know, and I don't care, because I rub my hands with glee as I eagerly await the 2 Livestreams that have just entered the fray. :-)

Parish
03-31-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm more excited that we can kick off the charity livestreams by making ~$2000 donations for each right up front. I think that sets a good precedent.

Kazin
04-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Is it weird that I want this to succeed like crazy, so Bob Mackey's job is Retronauts?

Because, I do.

R.R. Bigman
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I had a few reasons for donating to the kickstarter, though one of the main ones was that I wanted Ray to perk up.

Parish
04-02-2013, 09:27 PM
No kidding? Thanks for the notice. None of us realized that.

But whatever; we can edit the text, but that won't change the nature of what we're doing.

Lakupo
04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I want an episode about Bubsy

Only if they get Ulillillia as guest host (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bjSoyXlw0).

sfried
04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
No kidding? Thanks for the notice. None of us realized that.

But whatever; we can edit the text, but that won't change the nature of what we're doing.That's good to hear! Better revise that Stretch Goal quick.

breakman
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Man, I sure wish I had $140...oh wait, that new tier sold out hours ago (probably immediately). Never mind.

I have been thinking about something, with regard to the "Decide the topic of article/video segment" and "Decide game for livestreams" tiers...I bet there are quite a few games for which any number of people on this board might be willing to chip in toward one of those goals. Is that a workable idea?

Umby
04-08-2013, 03:11 PM
You need to add more slots for the $140 Fangamer tier! I WANT IN, JEREMY!

Parish
04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I guess we underpriced that tier. Story of this entire venture. This thing wasn't supposed to be so successful :(

Googleshng
04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
I guess we underpriced that tier. Story of this entire venture. This thing wasn't supposed to be so successful :(

Just feeling guilty about the extra money you don't need? Easy enough to just quietly dump it into some charity/other kickstarter/whatnot when you're done.

Or if you get curious about just how high it'll go, just toss in: "$1,000,000: Jetpack Goonies"

Loki
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Now there's an idea!

Parish
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
No guilt. We're putting the money to good use. We just calibrated our reward tiers to the initial goal so everything we've added since has been all out of whack.

Rascally Badger
04-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Someone talk me into or out of the T-shirt level on this kickstarter. I've been waffling for a week unable to decide.

shivam
04-14-2013, 03:01 PM
i'm thinking of upping my bid into the video tier and having them do a segment on civ or star control.

McClain
04-24-2013, 06:16 PM
On a whim I started a retronauts wikia. (http://retronauts.wikia.com/) Nich was asking on twitter if there was a list of episodes and I was kind of surprised that a fan hadn't already made one, and 1up will go away eventually. So if you are board, head on over and fill this sucker out. Or not. Whatever.

EDIT: Man, so while I was looking at the archives I started listening to the very first episode, and other than a few references to upcoming releases, it's still pretty much something I could listen to at any time.

Adrenaline
04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Wasn't there a thread for discussing the Retronauts Live podcast? I don't see it around here...

Jeanie
04-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Wasn't there a thread for discussing the Retronauts Live podcast? I don't see it around here...

There was, but it got closed because people were acting like dicks.

McClain
04-30-2013, 10:09 AM
There was, but it got closed because people were acting like dicks.

Mostly one person was being a dick, but I don't see him posting much any more so we should be safe ;)

Positronic Brain
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
And it's live (http://www.retronauts.com/?p=170). Funnily enough, of all the kickstarters I've backed, this is the first one that has delivered. :p

bobbywatson
07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
My day off just got even more awesome!

TheSL
07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I hope there's some kinds of iTunes feed coming, because I'd rather have them segregated to the "podcasts" section of my iPod instead of iTunes throwing it in with all my music. Edit: And then they address that in the first 10 minutes, so I guess that's something.

shivam
07-01-2013, 09:18 AM
You can manually set it to be a podcast in the settings of the specific file.

Positronic Brain
07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Or you can subscribe to the libsyn feed by going to "File" or "Advanced" (depending on your version of iTunes, IIRC), clicking the "Subscribe to podcast..." option and typing in http://retronauts.libsyn.com/rss

JDS
07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
ahahaha of all places they rented space next to a yoga screaming group

welcome back retronauts. welcome back.

fanboymaster
07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Listening to a new Retronauts is making me so happy.

Falselogic
07-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Love how the first episode is paralleling Jeremy's latest series over at USGAMER!

jpfriction
07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Or you can subscribe to the libsyn feed by going to "File" or "Advanced" (depending on your version of iTunes, IIRC), clicking the "Subscribe to podcast..." option and typing in http://retronauts.libsyn.com/rss

Also, if you just do all of your subscribing directly on your iPhone like I do and are actually using the horrible built-in podcasts app, just enter that url into the search bar at the top of your list of podcasts in the app and it will ask you if you want to subscribe.

Rosencrantz
07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Also, if you just do all of your subscribing directly on your iPhone like I do and are actually using the horrible built-in podcasts app, just enter that url into the search bar at the top of your list of podcasts in the app and it will ask you if you want to subscribe.

Do yourself a favor and download the "Casts" app.

Austintatious
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know of a good Android app to get this to work? I'm currently using Pocket Casts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to download anything not already in the library.

JDS
07-01-2013, 01:58 PM
it is a heck of a good episode

Falselogic
07-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know of a good Android app to get this to work? I'm currently using Pocket Casts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to download anything not already in the library.

I here lots of people like Stitcher.

McClain
07-01-2013, 03:46 PM
YAY! It's back.

I want one of the bonus videos to be the Retronauts taking a singing yoga class now.

shivam
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
why did bob sound strange? was he not on a mic?

Parish
07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
There seems to be something weird about the mic he was on, or maybe it's the acoustics of that end of the room? On this most recent session, Kat sat there, and then I did, and we were constantly being told to get closer to the mic and speak up despite being close and speaking up.

teekun
07-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks for that, I haven't synced my iphone to iTunes in ages and have been using the podcasts app for everything. Can't wait!

R.R. Bigman
07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Kat.

:) I'm happy Kat is back podcasting. I loved the heck out of Active Time Babble and Roleplayers Realm.

Will we see more old faces on future episodes?

Parish
07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Familiar, not old. God I'm not even 40 years old yet.

Matchstick
07-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Familiar, not old.

Well, there goes my shot of being on the show.

Adam
07-02-2013, 01:56 AM
[CLEAN]

Well, there goes my shot of being on the show.

Parish
07-02-2013, 08:24 AM
That's just this episode. In episode two, I call Wario an asshole.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2013, 09:13 AM
That's just this episode. In episode two, I call Wario an asshole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R4zss6s1PMk#t=74s

estragon
07-02-2013, 09:58 AM
R4zss6s1PMk#t=74s

b/c welcome to the future

McClain
07-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Embeds don't do time stamps. :)

estragon
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
awwwwwwwww

Calorie Mate
07-02-2013, 10:45 AM
b/c welcome to the future

awwwwwwwww

:rolleyes:

Nobuyuki
07-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I couldn't be happier to have more Retronauts in my life! Great first episode. The random yoga shouting gave everything a nice sort of intensity.

Loki
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
It's super cool you got Dr. Sparkle on. I don't think he's a real doctor though.

Parish
07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I dunno, those free rectal exams seemed legit.

Sanagi
07-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Just when I gave up waiting for Apple to make their podcast app not terrible. Um, but yay, Retronauts is back! I've been relistening to the old ones and it was kind of a funny shift to hear them not talking about 2007 anymore.

Excitemike
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey, that was great! Money well spent.

ikb
07-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I do like how the yoga singing in the background gives it a post-1up afterlife feel

Nobuyuki
07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
First episode of Mini-nauts is up (http://www.retronauts.com/?p=199). Really interesting episode. I know Parish has talked about the connection between game music and prog rock a lot in the past, but that's an area that I have zero knowledge of, so I like seeing it all laid out like this.

Parish
07-08-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm really surprised only one person has expressed dislike for this episode. I expected an outcry.

Excitemike
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Whoever made that logo deserves a raise.

Rosencrantz
07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I think that when something is declared a "mini-episode" and the listeners are given plenty of warning (both in this episode and last week's) that the mini-episode format is going to be different and experimental, it gives people a basic idea of what to expect.

I know nothing of prog rock, but I thought the episode was interesting. Hell, I'm just glad to get something every week to fill in the gaps of my commute.

Nobuyuki
07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Maybe everyone who was going to whine got mesmerized by that Can sample and forgot what they were going to do?

breakman
07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
First episode of Mini-nauts is up (http://www.retronauts.com/?p=199). Really interesting episode. I know Parish has talked about the connection between game music and prog rock a lot in the past, but that's an area that I have zero knowledge of, so I like seeing it all laid out like this.

Same here.

Also, the name Retronauts Pocket reminds me of the magazine Pocket Gamer.

christoffing
07-09-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm going to put my intense dislike of prog rock aside and listen to that with an open mind.

aubergine
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm really surprised only one person has expressed dislike for this episode. I expected an outcry.

It is very reassuring (needed, even!) for video game stuff to be about things other than video games.

Loved the mini episode :)

Adrenaline
07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Could have used a few more clips of actual game music to make the comparison, but still an interesting discussion.

McClain
07-09-2013, 03:34 PM

I actually really enjoyed it, even if prog rock isn't my bag. I always enjoy hearing about connections and inspirations like that. And I could even see my love of game music leading me to trying more prog rock.

I was curious what you thought about Zappa. Where does he fall on the prog-rock spectrum?

Jeanie
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
I was curious what you thought about Zappa. Where does he fall on the prog-rock spectrum?

School of Rock described it best:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/spindaddydad/sofr-chalkboard.jpg

McClain
07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and call it "post-prog."

Mightyblue
07-09-2013, 05:15 PM
For some reason not seeing Meatloaf on there deeply amuses me.

Parish
07-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Meatloaf? Are you freaking kidding? He makes Styx look like artistes.

JDS
07-09-2013, 05:48 PM
in what universe are the residents prog rock

also i expected "back in NYC" to be played at one point but thats the closest i can get to a complaint because it was a great pocket episode

Mightyblue
07-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Meatloaf? Are you freaking kidding? He makes Styx look like artistes.

And while I'm pretty sure you're kidding, he's still better than Van Halen.

Unimpressive
07-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I listened to the mini-episode along with my partner. He's not any kind of gamer, but he is a big prog rock nut. We both really enjoyed the retrospective, and I think hearing Dancing Mad right next to The Three Fates kind of blew his mind. Maybe some day I'll convince him to quit hitting 'next' when Final Fantasy comes up on my playlists.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the show regardless, but if the mini-episodes keep up this focus on the more ancillary influences on games, I can easily see them being my favourite part.

Double Dracula
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the show regardless, but if the mini-episodes keep up this focus on the more ancillary influences on games, I can easily see them being my favourite part.

I'll second this. One of the best things about Retronauts is the role it plays in helping to curate and preserve older videogame culture. I think an important part in continuing these processes will be drawing connections between games and the larger culture.

ikb
07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
I think that part of prog rock image problem, in the UK at least, is a bit of reverse class snobbery. As touched on in the podcast, it's music for public schoolboys by public schoolboys.

I suppose Radiohead links in as a modern band with the same background.

shivam
07-11-2013, 04:13 PM
This was a really great episode. Surprised you didn't mention Procul Haram, who were the first prog rockers, or Tool, the heirs to the lineage.

I would have liked more samples or direct sonic comparisons, but it was an enjoyable ep as is. More like these, please!

Balrog
07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I would have liked more samples or direct sonic comparisons, but it was an enjoyable ep as is. More like these, please!

Yeah, this.

dosboot
07-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Retronauts ep3 - Wario Land (http://www.retronauts.com/?p=217). Haven't finished listening to this one yet but its terrific. The show's topic covers much more broad territory than just Wario Land itself. Look forward to how Wario riffs on Mario mechanics (and vice versa) plus some backstory on R&D 1 and which Nintendo designers are depicted as in game characters. Here's the image Bob must be referring to when he compares Hiroji Kiyotake (http://www.metroid-database.com/m1/fdsinterview2/Kiyotake%20pic.jpg), one of Wario's creators, with Wario himself.

Umby
07-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh man, I love me some Wario Land. They are some of my favorite handheld games by far! Can't wait to listen to this.

Nobuyuki
07-15-2013, 10:34 AM
They are really killing it with the album art.

Daikaiju
07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I will fully admit the prog rock thing was Not My Bag. I enjoy music and all but never been that much of an audiophile. No major big deal though.

ghosttaster
07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
School of Rock described it best:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/spindaddydad/sofr-chalkboard.jpg

This is one iffy infographic.

Also, I'd listen to Dr. Sparkle read the ingredients off of food packages. He rules.

Kazin
07-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Loved the Wario Land episode, and I'm glad Bob's got my back on Wario Land 3.

I really, really need to finish Wario Land 4 one of these days... sad that I've gotten farther on Virtual Boy Wario Land. On an actual Virtual Boy, no less!

Psyael
07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I played the first Wario Land. It was cute, I suppose, but it didn't connect with me because I didn't like the shoulderblock tackle replacing jumping on heads. I never played the others because I didn't want any more of that after I finished it.

Double Dracula
07-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Loved the Wario episode, as I've been a fan of the Game Boy games for years and years. I thought the episode did a great job of contextualizing the series historically and in relation to other platformers, and I'm inspired to go back and play the first Wario game, as I started the series with 2.

As always, Retronauts helps me to understand better why I like the games I do, and where those games fit in the history of the medium.

Sanagi
07-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Okay, I really need to play Wario Land 2 and 3.

Karzac
07-18-2013, 09:36 AM
I bought Wario Land 2 last night after listening to this episode. It's pretty good so far.

Excitemike
07-19-2013, 08:09 AM
I love WarioLand 4. It's my perfect 2D platformer, oozing with creativity and style. Sadly, I also think it is the apex for the genre as it's been a slow, backwards slide ever since. The transition to the WarioWare games is foreshadowed not only by the mini-games, but the vaguely Mr. Game and Watch character who runs the item shop (and turns into a princess or something?). It's really something special.

bobbywatson
07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Did I mention that the new theme is awesome? No? Well, it is! I kinda wish it was longer though...

Kazin
07-19-2013, 12:06 PM
I love the new theme, and am happy about the length. I liked the old theme but 45 seconds was a bit long. Now I don't have to fast forward every time I listen to Retronauts!

Excitemike
07-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Not WarioLand, but by coincidence I did remember this today:

D4c2bshZfao

First Nintendo crossover game?

Tanto
07-20-2013, 05:35 AM
I couldn't disagree more with Bob and Kat re: New Super Mario Bros. The console versions especially may not be especially innovative (although it's not really my thing; the Wii version pretty much kicked off true multiplayer platforming in one go, which has to count for something), but are exceptionally polished, with clever level design that's frequently more varied and interesting than the old games.

I'm with Parish in that they only seem oversaturated because of the weird decision to release NSMB2 within six months of NSMBU. But my guess is that Nintendo has elevated NSMB to the status of Mario Kart -- they release one version of the game per platform, early in the system's life, then let it sit there and rack up long-tail sales figures for as long as the system is in circulation. I doubt you see another one until the next system comes along, and in the meantime they can try out weirder things.

I really wish the mainline Mario series would try out a new art style, because I kind of hate the plasticky post-Sunshine style, but the actual gameplay -- seen objectively and not through the lens of nostalgia -- is still superb.

Of course, I'd like to see more spin-offs and experiments as well, but there's a reason NSMB was such a huge hit. People liked more traditional Mario, and they missed it after it wandered off into the woods for more than a decade.

Psyael
07-22-2013, 01:13 AM
From what I've heard, NSMB2 was also just kind of bad, no matter when it was released.

Given that I haven't had to worry about a game over ever happening in these games, when NSMB2's gimmick was revealed to be "you are going to get so many coins (and a 1UP for every 100x!)" I groaned.

Parish
07-22-2013, 08:34 AM
NSMB2 was actually really good. Ignoring the coin-collecting metagame, it had some interesting level designs, and the Coin Rush DLC was a lot of fun. (And I generally hate speed attack-style play.)

McClain
07-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I liked NSMB2 better than NSMB, but I played it after NSMBU, which is much a much better game and pretty much the last thing I want from the NSMB line. I also had a bit of Mario Burnout by then.

I would rather see them try to do something new in the 2D space than just try to make another SMB1/3/World crossover. I would love to see something with SMB2 mechanics, or a focus on suits like the later portions of SMB3 they keep ignoring, or a more connected, organic world like SMW. Basically, I feel like they keep riffing on the first half of the most popular Mario games instead of digging deeper or daring to do something brand new.

Incidentally, I kind of miss the creepy Wario from the Gameboy commercials.

R.R. Bigman
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
The album art for the new mini episode is perfect. All of the album art has been perfect! Way to go!

SpoonyBardOL
07-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Totally digging the New 'nauts so far.

I still have an odd fondness for Captain N, despite how undeniably bad it is. It's probably mainly due to the fact that it came on the air at the same time I really, really got into Nintendo. There's no defending the show, of course, but I just can't look at it in disgust.

Except for maybe King Hippo. Because goddamn seriously what even the hell.

shivam
07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
NSMB2 had the golden fireflower, which masks all sins.

Parish
07-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I liked NSMB2 better than NSMB, but I played it after NSMBU, which is much a much better game and pretty much the last thing I want from the NSMB line. I also had a bit of Mario Burnout by then.

Which was the exact point I made in this episode!

Balrog
07-24-2013, 08:27 PM
When I was a kid I thought Wario didn't get hurt by the enemies because he was a bad guy and they don't hurt each other.

McClain
07-24-2013, 09:28 PM
So having worked on the STTB games and played a LOT of fan games recently, I was wondering if there's a way to do a Fangame episode of Retronauts. It could be an interesting topic for a mini, at least.

Which was the exact point I made in this episode!

Oh wow, I just checked and I had forgotten that NSMB2 only came out a couple months before NSMBU! I was LTTP on NSMB2 and played it right after I finished NSMBU. That order hurt 2 a bit more for me, I think, but dang, that is a lot of Mario at once!

When I was a kid I thought Wario didn't get hurt by the enemies because he was a bad guy and they don't hurt each other.

That actually makes a lot of sense!

Nobuyuki
07-29-2013, 06:00 PM
It's Retronauts with a touch of No More Whoppers! Fits very well.

SilentSnake
07-29-2013, 06:20 PM
so many sunglasses

Positronic Brain
08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Are there any news on the estimated schedule for the physical rewards from the Kickstarter? I'm asking because I am very likely to fall off the Internet for the next three weeks, and I'd hate to miss any news.

Excitemike
08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
The Power Glove.
It's so rad. (http://www.retronauts.com/?p=291)

Jeanie
08-05-2013, 01:09 PM
(The NES Advantage)is not really something you'd play Zelda 2 with.

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/george-michael-snoopy-walk.gif

I did.

Parish
08-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Are there any news on the estimated schedule for the physical rewards from the Kickstarter? I'm asking because I am very likely to fall off the Internet for the next three weeks, and I'd hate to miss any news.

We're hashing them out one by one, and we will be contacting everyone once everything is ready. It'll be a while yet. Probably closer to the end of the year. We're more concerned with keeping the main attraction (the podcast) on track than sending out the extras.

Positronic Brain
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
We're hashing them out one by one, and we will be contact everyone once everything is ready. It'll be a while yet. Probably closer to the end of the year. We're more concerned with keeping the main attraction (the podcast) on track than sending out the extras.

Cool, and quite understandable. Thanks for the info!

ajr82
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
I liked the NES Accessories episode, but man, Ray really needs to slow down a bit.

j00ey
08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
That's mostly because I was a little too zealous in cutting those eps. Just call me Jeff Rubin.

Parish
08-08-2013, 05:43 PM
That's mostly I was a little too zealous in cutting those eps. Just call me Jeff Rubin.

I wouldn't sweat it, Ray. ajr82 exists for the sole purpose of being a wet blanket.

Falselogic
08-08-2013, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't sweat it, Ray. ajr82 exists for the sole purpose of being a wet blanket.

http://i.minus.com/ib2rEAOV74lfMX.gif

ajr82
08-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Oh yeah? Well I, um, huh, yeah.....

j00ey
08-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Well, it's the truth anyway.

shivam
08-09-2013, 04:27 PM
the bit about the nes MAX was really interesting. I had no idea that the disc in the center didn't actually work analog style. Looking forward to seeing where this sub-series goes =)

Excitemike
08-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Have I mentioned that these basically make my Mondays bearable? Thanks for bringing the show back :)

Nobuyuki
08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Listening to the latest episode makes me think I would love to see a real look at what's holding back a rerelease for MML. I've heard unsavory things about Tiesel's voice actor too, but I've never seen a proper source for it. It'd be nice to know what actually happened there.

Also, so happy for more Sharkey.

Excitemike
08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Listening to the latest episode makes me think I would love to see a real look at what's holding back a rerelease for MML.

It's money.

Googleshng
09-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Regarding the end of Shadow of the Colossus: "The main character is tricked and doesn't get what he wants."

I am astounded that someone's take on that game's plot can be that far off base.

What's actual interesting about SotC with regards to stuff like the ending of Bioshock is:

A- The whole story is basically told without dialog, with 95% of it just expressed through what actions you must perform to win, expressive body language, and gradual changes in the protagonist's appearance, and...

B- While the audience is kept a bit in the dark initially by the show-don't-tell approach, it becomes clear over the course of the game that the protagonist knows exactly what he's doing, what the consequences are, and how no one in their right mind would even consider doing any of this stuff. There's kind of a metacontextual message in there about single-minded determination and seeing things through to the end no matter what, as is the case in every videogame where it's clear to the player that the world would be better off if the protagonist just stopped and went home. The clear self-awareness of the fact here is what's so refreshing.

Plus seriously Parish, how have you still not played this?

Adrenaline
09-09-2013, 07:26 AM
His quest was to bring Mono back to life, and at the end of the game she's alive.

That's pretty much exactly what he wanted, regardless of whatever metaphysical questions the game asks about his actions or motivations or what happens to him.

bobservo
09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
I haven't finished SotC since 2005, but I remember there being some degree of dramatic irony in that you, the player, could clearly see the hero becoming increasingly corrupted with each slain colossus, but he was so driven by his single-minded mission that this fact escaped him. But really, my main point was that the game tried to throw the most traditional video game act -- killing -- into an entirely new light.

Googleshng
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
But really, my main point was that the game tried to throw the most traditional video game act -- killing -- into an entirely new light.

Which is absolutely true, and why it's a really relevant game to bring up in that conversation. I'm just making the correction that by the end of the game, it's quite clear that what's been going on here is that our protagonist, really not dealing well with his love interest being dead stole a magic sword, traveled to the forbidden valley where basically-Satan was sealed away with all these colossi, that his end of the deal here is to release him, probably dying in the process and generally dooming the whole world, but... he's single-minded enough about the love interest revival thing that literally nothing else matters.

And what's really fun about it is, since we start out all in media res here, as a player, you initially might get the vibe that there might be something shady about all this, but about a third of the way in, I don't know anyone who didn't get a strong feeling of "What I am doing here is clearly wrong," but at that point, your options are just to keep going and see it through no matter what, or just stop. Quit killing collossi, quit playing the game, don't have a hand in bringing about an ending you know is ging to leave the world a worse place.

Which, really, is a great way of using the fundamental psychology of playing a videogame to get you into the same mindset as the protagonist.

bobservo
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Like I said, it's been eight years. I plan on replaying it via the HD collection soon, though.

Kairu
10-03-2013, 08:51 AM
This most recent episode about game music was great (and informative too!).

The special guest was very knowledgeable and I can only hope that any future KickStarter backer guests work at as well.

Adam
10-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I was really happy with how much Special Guest Guy brought to the table. I'm also glad he was in the studio, because special guests Skyped in in the past (yeah, it was years ago, but it still sticks with me) have had problems getting into the conversation.

McClain
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM
This latest episode made me miss Sound Test even more. I would love it if Ray would make some more of those. I feel like they could be a monthly "mini" episode, though maybe have its own feed since it would (hopefully) have modern music, too.

Balrog
10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm still waiting for the Sound Test kickstarter :toastybert:

Kazin
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
So long as nothing fucks with No More Whoppers, I'm always up for more Ray.

MCBanjoMike
10-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Ray, did you accidentally call Kraftwerk "Krautwerk" on the music show? Because it sure sounds like you did!

Parish
10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
He pronounced the band's name properly, like "Croft"-work.

DANoWAR
10-05-2013, 03:25 AM
But it would be "Cruft". And "werk" with an e that is pronounced like the e from Enya.

(Haven't listened to the music episode yet, so...)

Daikaiju
10-05-2013, 05:15 AM
A couple notes about the latest episode...

I didn't know there was a Full Throttle soundtrack. I sought out Bone To Pick by The Gone Jackals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gone_Jackals). The game uses every song on that album. It was also my first intentional purchase of game music. My second was the original soundtrack for Bust a Move/Groove 1.
I'm also surprised the Grim Fandango soundtrack didn't get a mention.

Kairu
10-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I really enjoyed the Quintet podcast, though I was somewhat disappointed to learn none of the hosts had played much further than the opening sequence of Terranigma.

It's been a while since I played Terranigma but I remember it falling somewhere between Soulblazer's openness and Illusion of Gaia's linearity. You progress through different era's of evolution: plants, animals, and different stages of human history. Within each era there is some non-linearity and optional side missions but once you change eras there is no going back.

I do hope the Retronauts get around to playing it at some point; the whole Quintet "trilogy" still stands out among RPGs for their unique ambivalent tone about Good and Evil as well as unusual themes regarding creation and destruction that isn't tied to Biblical (Christian) lore.

I actually played all the way through Robotrek when it came out, though I do remember hitting a few roadblocks in the game that really required you to grind certain weapons to stand a chance. I don't remember the localization being that bad compared to some of its contemporaries, but it has been more than a decade since I played it.

shivam
10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
The music episode was both insightful and frustrating in equal measure. I wish you guys had had a pc voice in there, because the evolution of music in computer gaming is also incredibly important.

Redbook audio, for instance, meant that when you were playing Quake, you could take the cd out and replace it with any other music cd, and play through levels to the sounds of Pure Moods and Engima instead of NIN if you wanted.

and we also got gems like this, from the warcraft 2 cd.
RwWh1xy6gvU

but we also had to put up with stuff like this, from civ.
NgaB6z_fnO4
ha2ZPvUhGLI

Ted
10-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I tuned in to the Quintet episode while getting ready for work this morning and was delighted that Soulblazer got it's due attention. The rest of the show was great, too. Thanks guys!

dosboot
10-15-2013, 09:41 AM
I liked the Quintet episode. The Quintet games are standouts in the SNES's action RPG library, and remarkably varied to each other. It's interesting that none of them are really close to perfect, but they make up for it with other redeeming qualities. I also can't help but comment about this episode that the group clearly hasn't played the games very recently which is a little bit of a shame :)

Parish
10-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm working on it (https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/389597681133162496).

Qu_Marsh
10-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I liked the Quintet episode. The Quintet games are standouts in the SNES's action RPG library, and remarkably varied to each other.

It's impressive that they're all distinct, different games, but also succeed at sharing a consistent theme.

Mr. Sensible
10-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Redbook audio, for instance, meant that when you were playing Quake, you could take the cd out and replace it with any other music cd, and play through levels to the sounds of Pure Moods and Engima instead of NIN if you wanted.

I always stuck the first Van Halen album in while I played Quake. It's oddly appropriate!

McClain
10-16-2013, 08:34 AM
I remember one time playing Doom (2?) and listening to The Sound of Silence (http://youtu.be/4zLfCnGVeL4). It was pretty damn creepy!

pence
10-16-2013, 09:10 AM
In college I played about two hours of NPRQuake (http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/sketchyNPR.html) while listening to Take on Me on repeat, because what else are you going to do in college?

Adam
10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
In college I played about two hours of NPRQuake (http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/sketchyNPR.html) while listening to Take on Me on repeat, because what else are you going to do in college?

Play NPRQuake while listening to All Things Considered?

rkdn42
10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Listened to the arcade racers episode yesterday and I don't think one of my favorites from the 80s was mentioned: Hot Rod (http://gamesdbase.com/game/arcade/hot-rod.aspx).

I remember playing that all the time at the local arcades.

John
10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I remember a sit-down offroad racer with a force feedback gimmick that would stacatto thump you in the back whenever you went over bumps. The thumps were loud enough that you would notice it over the din of all the other games, like when someone gets an extra ball in pinball. The game itself was pretty standard, but I always went back to it for the novelty.

I think it got a sequel that wasn't as popular. Anyone know what games I'm thinking of?

Ted
10-16-2013, 11:50 AM
I know what you're talking about, but I can't think of it either. Hazy whispers of Jaleco and Rally are all I can conjure.

What I do clearly remember was that the chair knocking was LOUD! It was like a slow machine gun mounted on a helicopter or something.

E: I bet you're thinking of the deluxe version of Sega OutRun, in which the whole cab rolls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhSW474pYM) (check out 5:30 and 5:40 in the vid for some rattling).

John
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
No, it was more like off-road rally racing, but with the same perspective and sprite scaling. Maybe the cabinet was shaped like a jeep? I think it also had haptic feedback in the steering wheel, but there was tons of mud, jumps and ruts in the course. It wasn't as fast or smooth as Outrun though.

Found it! Road Riot 4WD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Riot_4WD). I knew I was thinking Atari, but I forgot about the shooting aspects. I think the bikini girl that starts the race may have also been a factor in getting my quarters.

Ted
10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Haha, I don't think I've ever seen that one! That seat doesn't look very comfy.

John
10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I've never seen that setup in the flyer, this cabinet's (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Road-Riot-4WD-Sit-Down-Cabinet-2-Player-/360685498072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fa87eed8) the one I remember.

TheSL
10-16-2013, 02:37 PM
The one the bowling alley I went to growing up was the upright cabinet but without the seat. It was really awkward to use the pedals.

Excitemike
11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Regarding the X-Men arcade game, the designs are specifically the ones used by Marvel Animation in the early 80s' as seen on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and the X-Men pilot called "Pryde of the X-Men" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvVgjwGzNU). It's been a while but I believe the cutscenes used in the game were based on the latter.

Parish
11-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Regarding the X-Men arcade game, the designs are specifically the ones used by Marvel Animation in the early 80s' as seen on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and the X-Men pilot called "Pryde of the X-Men" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvVgjwGzNU). It's been a while but I believe the cutscenes used in the game were based on the latter.

As mentioned several times in the comments!

Daikaiju
11-16-2013, 04:35 AM
Was just coming here to mention that. Also, no Cadillacs & Dinosaurs? SHAME!

j00ey
11-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Was just coming here to mention that. Also, no Cadillacs & Dinosaurs? SHAME!

that's, um, not Konami?

The Raider Dr. Jones
11-17-2013, 08:22 PM
true story I learned the other day: the C&D FMV game for the Sega CD was largely directed by Stephen de Souza, of Street Fighter (and many actually good movies) fame.

Double Dracula
11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
The Japan's Golden Age episode of Retronauts could have been three hours long and I would listened to the whole thing, happily. I loved the all-star panel and the unusually loose, gushy approach.

Mr. Sensible
11-20-2013, 07:47 PM
The Japan's Golden Age episode of Retronauts could have been three hours long and I would listened to the whole thing, happily. I loved the all-star panel and the unusually loose, gushy approach.

I really enjoy the episodes where the whole panel is enthusiastic about the subject. It hearkened back to the old NES Super Mario episode of Retronauts where everyone was just busting at the seams to talk about how great Mario is.

Both episodes also feature Shane Bettenhausen. Coincidence? :smirk:

Sanagi
11-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Yeah, what a great topic. Everyone had their own angle on it and was passionate about their choice. And I found myself agreeing with everyone.

Double Dracula
11-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Both episodes also feature Shane Bettenhausen. Coincidence? :smirk:

That dude is the reason I got into podcasts.

And oh boy did I get into podcasts.

He has some weird power that I feel is well documented by this point.

Falselogic
11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Does Shane talk about Secret Best games?

Double Dracula
11-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Does Shane talk about Secret Best games?

Not explicitly, but he does reference a few that I think he's qualified before as Secret Best.