PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal

shivam
04-05-2013, 11:36 AM
How do i make it not nasty, slimy and gloppy?

Sarcasmorator
04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
YOU CAN'T

Unless you bake it into other things (cookies, muffins, bread, etc.). But for just a plain ol' bowl of oatmeal, I know of no way to fix in this manner.

Dizzy
04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I get slimy and gloppy but nasty? You're not getting your oatmeal from prison, are ya?

shivam
04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
i just need to figure out how to fix the texture =/

Sarcasmorator
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Someone on FB was suggesting steel cut. Give that a shot. I don't like it much better, but it definitely has a different texture.

Büge
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
What don't you like about the texture, exactly?

shivam
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
it's like soggy, slimy cardboard. i don't know why i don't like it, but i have a hard time with slimy textured food.

Wolfgang
04-05-2013, 01:26 PM
If you lower the water a little below the recommendation than a spoonful of microwaved oatmeal supports itself more like a forkful of a piece of cake.

That's what I said on facebook, but I also said that if you just need to get grains into you for heart health, eat Cheerios.

Büge
04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
They all are going to have goopey qualities.

Yeah, this. When I do oatmeal I soak two cups in a jar the night before in a 1:1 ratio with water plus a heaping tablespoonful of flour, all mixed together. When I cook it, I just boil a cup of salted water and mix it in (plus another half-cup of water from rinsing out the jar).

The result is a lot more puddinglike than regular oatmeal, if you want a different texture, but really, you can't have oatmeal that isn't goopy.

Teaspoon
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I've found the best way is to add less water than you think you need, cook on a medium heat, and leave it there until just before you've burned it irrevocably.
(Cooking it in milk can be nice too. Have you tried using a slow cooker to boil it very slowly overnight?)

¡HarlequinPanic!
04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
There's other ways to get oats. They even sell oats without oatmeal stuff!

If you have a blender you can make a bitchin smoothie with it.

shivam
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
yeah, making oatmeal smoother is not going to solve my issue of it being smooth =)

i'm trying to find ways to make it crunchy, i guess.

Sarcasmorator
04-05-2013, 02:32 PM
yeah, making oatmeal smoother is not going to solve my issue of it being smooth =)

i'm trying to find ways to make it crunchy, i guess.

What you're looking for is granola, I think (I don't recall if you consume dairy, but a good granola tastes fine dry). You just cannot add hot water to grain to make it crunchy. You need to get the water out — bake it or otherwise cook it. The only way to put crunch into a bowl of oatmeal is to add something crunchy to it, like nuts.

(My assumption here is that you've been encouraged to eat more oats in general, not bowls of oatmeal in particular.)

Paul le Fou
04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Yeah, crunchy = muesli or granola, not oatmeal. I eat mine with yogurt! That's my breakfast most mornings.

BUT if you lower the amount of water (or milk, use milk instead!) you use, it will be firmer and even hold together.

OTHER OPTIONS:

Baked oatmeal (http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-oatmeal). This is just the first google result, and pretty simple. There are a million recipes out there. It's kinda like a... like a moist soft bread. And you can do awesome flavors!

There's also refrigerator/mason jar/overnight oatmeal which I haven't tried, but since it involves yogurt it's probably no different in texture.

Olli T
04-05-2013, 10:49 PM
You could try eating it raw I guess? Google will tell you recipes.

Alixsar
04-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Oatmeal is just kind of gross. I don't mind it, but even when I'm eating it I'm like "this is sort of weird it's like if cereal pooped and I ate it".

Seth Marati
04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I eat oatmeal by adding one sliced banana and five or six strawberries right after I put the oats into boiling water. Let it all simmer for a few minutes, then turn off the heat and add a few spoonfuls of wheat germ. Preferably refrigerated, so itll help bring the temperature down to where it won't burn off your tongue.

The wheat germ adds a hint of nutty flavor to it, and the banana makes it nice and creamy.

Reinforcements
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Steel cut oats makes better oatmeal, though they take longer to cook. You can also get more flavor out of them by cooking them dry in the pot with a little butter or oil before adding the water, to toast them. Boil the oats for around 20 minutes, then check for doneness. If they need more time or are a little dry, add some milk or more water and cook for a few more minutes. Trust me, it's way easier to make steel cut oats come out with a nice risotto-like consistency than rolled. I pretty much only keep rolled oats around to grind into flour, or for granola or cookies.

taosterman
04-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Oatmeal is just kind of gross. I don't mind it, but even when I'm eating it I'm like "this is sort of weird it's like if cereal pooped and I ate it".

Yup for me it's on the Foods I Don't Mind But Why Bother with This When I Could Be Eating the Hundreds of Other Healthy Foods I Actively Enjoy list.

reibeatall
04-13-2013, 04:58 PM
I've got a great granola recipe if you want it.

Paul le Fou
07-28-2013, 08:20 AM
So I started making refrigerator oatmeal. It's so easy!

In a jar, put 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1/2 cup milk. Shake. Put in fridge. Eat next morning.

That's it! That's the basic recipe!

You can also add yogurt! You can put cashews in there! Honey, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, bananas, fresh fruit, whatever! Throw it all in there and shake it up and let it sit overnight and then eat it.

I think it's important to use the rolled oats because steel-cut wouldn't take all the moisture I think...? And the more processed crap would turn to mush, like it does? I guess? You shouldn't be getting that stuff anyway?

Shivam did you ever figure oatmeal out? if not, this might be worth a shot. The individual oat flakes remain chewy (though still not crunchy or hard, and it's soaking in milk/yogurt/whatever).

SpoonyBardOL
07-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Baked oatmeal (http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-oatmeal). This is just the first google result, and pretty simple. There are a million recipes out there. It's kinda like a... like a moist soft bread. And you can do awesome flavors!

Baked Oatmeal is totally great. There's a lot of different recipes on BudgetBytes in the Oats section (http://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/breakfast/oats/). My personal favorite is 'Funky Monkey' because it's almost like a dessert with all the chocolate and peanut butter. My second favorite is Lemon Raspberry, it's amazing.

Paul le Fou
07-01-2014, 07:28 PM
It's summer which means I just had my first jar of Fridge Oatmeal. Put oatmeal in a jar with milk and stuff, leave it in the fridge overnight, and boom, nice cold nutritious breakfast. I put peanut butter and cinnamon in the one I made for this morning!

Violentvixen
07-01-2014, 09:35 PM
It's summer which means I just had my first jar of Fridge Oatmeal. Put oatmeal in a jar with milk and stuff, leave it in the fridge overnight, and boom, nice cold nutritious breakfast. I put peanut butter and cinnamon in the one I made for this morning!

I make a pumpkin one similar to this (http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/261/Pumpkin+Pie+Refrigerator+Oatmeal). Really tasty.

gahitsu
07-02-2014, 02:48 AM
That looks awful but sounds good, if that makes any sense?

Paul le Fou
07-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Oatmeal ain't there to be pretty

Galadrome
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I've been eating refrigerated oatmeal for breakfast for three years now. Usually I go two cups of oatmeal (Varies with bulking/cutting) with enough milk to top it off. In the morning I'll mix in a scoop or two of chocolate protein powder and slice up a banana and mix it in.

Oatmeal is one of my favourite foods ever.

Jeanie
07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I love oatmeal made with Apple Cider instead of milk or water.

Reinforcements
07-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Can you do fridge oatmeal with scotch oats, or do they have to be rolled?

SpoonyBardOL
07-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Quick question about Fridge Oatmeal, does it need to be stored in glass jars? Every recipe for it I've seen says to use Mason Jars, but is that out of necessity or convenience? I don't have any jars large enough, but I have plenty of plastic, airtight containers. Is there a reason to use glass over plastic?

Violentvixen
07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Quick question about Fridge Oatmeal, does it need to be stored in glass jars? Every recipe for it I've seen says to use Mason Jars, but is that out of necessity or convenience? I don't have any jars large enough, but I have plenty of plastic, airtight containers. Is there a reason to use glass over plastic?

I haven't tried anything but glass but I can't think of a reason plastic would be bad other than differences in how glass and plastic react to cold. But I can't imagine it's enough of a difference to affect the oatmeal.

Maybe these mix better in the more cylindrical shape? No harm in trying plastic that I can see.

SpoonyBardOL
07-04-2014, 08:18 AM
I tried it last night and it seemed to turn out just fine this morning, I'll have to do this more often during the hot summer.

Galadrome
07-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I just make mine in a bowl and don't bother covering it up. I don't really eat most of my food for the flavour though so I don't really care how it turns out.

Paul le Fou
07-04-2014, 09:55 PM
I imagine anything should be fine, but jars tend to be smaller and more fit for single-servings, and the taller shape make it easier to just like, hold and eat. Also mason jars are in now??

Regular hot oatmeal for breakfast today. Walnuts, honey, peanut butter and cinnamon. Also some chia seeds because I had a moment of weakness long ago that I'm still atoning for. (the moment of weakness was buying chia seeds)

I don't really eat most of my food for the flavour though so I don't really care how it turns out.

Liebot, what is the saddest thing?