PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Part 2: "Refuge" through "Return"

Parish
09-24-2007, 01:30 PM
That's the second half of the game, in other words. It's a pretty short game. Keep spoilers marked, blah blah blah.

reibeatall
09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Overall, I REALLY liked this game. The campaign was excellent and it never felt like a chore to play (unline Halo 2). The levels were varied enough without the cut-and-pasting of Halo 1. Few spoilers ahoy.

Do you get a different ending if you beat it on Legendary? And I LOVED the end of the last level. It was JUST like the Maw, and I just had a huge grin on my face the entire time.

Sarcasmorator
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
So who's up for a couple co-op levels on Legendary tonight? I want to go through this campaign again. And again. That's not something I often say about FPS single-player modes!

Also, folks, when you beat the game, make sure you sit through the credits because there's another movie after. I skipped through them by mistake the first time and had a very different impression of the ending until I found out the truth.

Further thoughts: Destroying 343 Guilty Spark with the Spartan Laser is probably the most satisfying kill I've ever made in a Halo game.

It was a little weird that you never get to meet again in person with more than the Gravemind's tentacles, nor fight it directly. I was expecting a battle in the infested High Charity level.

reibeatall
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I'd probably be up for some co-op tonight. I'm surprised how fulfilling the entire game is, even though it's short. I've already made a video and taken some screenshots, too. Learning Forge's controls are taking me a while, though.

Balrog
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Dear Bungie,

Thanks for letting me walk through sphincters. There, I've said it. I did like the game though, really fun. I'm still not sold on fighting the Flood though. Its like playing dodgeball with retarded kids.

Parish
09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
The only major player you actually get to kill in the game is Guilty Spark, which is disappointing. Truth dies in a cutscene, and Gravemind's destruction is simply implicit. I would have liked a little more in-game resolution.

Figure Four
09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Protip: Don't do marathon gaming sessions when you're recovering from a cold.

Other than the fact that my head is killing me I loved this game. Though I did get a really weird glitch near the end of Rampancy where I wasn't getting any of the checkpoints. I was starting to get super frustrated with having to play over these really long parts of the level when all of a sudden the checkpoints started up again.

I do wish you got to use the hornet more. Though taking out those two scarabs was immensely satisfying.

Kolbe
09-26-2007, 01:48 AM
So, humans are the forerunners? The Coventant worshiped humans without knowing it all this time?

Savathun
09-26-2007, 02:06 AM
Hum, I do kind of wish there had been some view of the Gravemind at some point, even if it was just him blowing up. It was kind of odd and anti-climactic. Really liked the game, though, otherwise.

Balrog
09-26-2007, 08:02 AM
The last section where you're escaping in the Warthog is really fun. Also, that was the one of the weakest "Boss" fights I have ever seen. I guess it makes sense in terms of story but I mean you're basically fighting a brain inside a case....hold on a second.

Nevermind.

Forget I said anything.

Sarcasmorator
09-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I did get a really weird glitch near the end of Rampancy where I wasn't getting any of the checkpoints. I was starting to get super frustrated with having to play over these really long parts of the level when all of a sudden the checkpoints started up again.

Were you trying to rush through? I've noticed the game locks down checkpoints until you get to a quiet area or recharge your shields or something, so if you try to run past a bunch of enemies who are attacking you without taking them out you won't trigger a checkpoint nearly as often.

Parish
09-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Kolbe: Pretty much. That particular twist seemed pretty much inevitable from the first game, since only humans could activate Forerunner artifacts. The terminals seem to give a hint at the timeline and the connection of how humanity survived the Halos' detonation and how Forerunners first discovered Earth. I still need to find a bunch of the other terminals, though, to figure out the missing gaps.

Savathun
09-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I was only able to find two terminals and they just led to more questions. How many are there, anyway?

Kolbe
09-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I found 3 and I'm wondering the same thing.

Parish
09-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Seven, of course.

Violentvixen
09-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Completely stuck on the tower where you have to walk between the sides to the ramps and The Flood are coming in FROM THE FREAKING SKY. Three of my friends and I are just switching the controllers between each other and dying. It's been half a bloody hour! Why the hell are there no checkpoints on this tower?

*cries*

Savathun
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
If you can get your hands on a couple of plasma rifles, they cut through them like tissue paper.

Parish
09-26-2007, 10:19 PM
The tower has checkpoints, one on every level. You must not be triggering them. Take it more slowly... sometimes if you rush ahead the game doesn't give you checkpoints, because there are too many active enemies.

Excitemike
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
There's an extra level on legendary? Anyone get to it yet?

reibeatall
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
There's an extra level on legendary? Anyone get to it yet?

Citation needed.

Excitemike
09-26-2007, 11:56 PM
I read it on "Halopedia."

Not a hoax. Not an imaginary story.

Kolbe
09-27-2007, 12:41 AM
This has almost nothing to do with anything, but some years ago I had a dream where, right outside of my house, the nocturne sky was filled with galaxies and stars and nebulas (which are also galaxies, but you get the idea) just like the way you see them in those amazing Hubble photographs (http://images.google.com/images?q=Hubble&imgsz=xxlarge&ndsp=20&svnum=10&um=1&hl=es&lr=&start=0&sa=N). I had the same dream about a year ago or so again. I remember how in awe I was when seeing that amazing sky.

So, seeing something similar in Halo 3 (when you get to the Ark and you can see the Milky Way in the sky) was pretty significant to me. Just because of that, I like the game even more.

Excitemike
09-27-2007, 12:49 AM
The art direction is stunning. I want to just ride out into the backgrounds.

Parish
09-27-2007, 01:39 AM
I love the one level that opens with a panoramic view of the Ark and you think, "That's weird, a painting?" Then you notice the smoke in the distance is subtly swirling and a ship flies into the scene.

People are complaining about how the game's graphics aren't very good, and I'm pretty sure that's nature's way of saying "This person is dumb."

Savathun
09-27-2007, 01:44 AM
I like Floodgate, because you're just so overwhelmed already and now you're thinking "Great, these guys, too?" and there's ash falling from the sky and it sort of looks and feels like you just stepped into a portal to hell.

Schmidt
09-27-2007, 04:56 AM
I guess the only thing I didn't like was the final sequence.

The escape on a warthog was cool in the first one because it was like nothing else. Ending a game with a chase/run away sequence? Unexpected and thrilling, giving you something other than a big bad boss fight but still giving you an exciting thing to do as you finish, rather than forgoing the boss fight for artistic reasons but at the expense of gameplay by wrapping up with a cut scene or a cliffhanger.

But that was a lot of the point, it was new, it hadn't been done before. I know some people are going to look at all the other repetition in the game and wonder why I'm only bugged about the warthog run, but by now they should have come to terms with the fact that the combat has always been repetitive. In a good way. The strength was always in the combat and AI, so making you do more combat against impressive AI is like complaining because people keep bringing you more desserts. The warthog run was a little more of a gimmick. Brilliant once, certainly, but a lot of its brilliance came from the end run around your expectations.

Couple that with the least exciting visuals in the entire game, and This Is How The World Ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. A whimper that looks like a Marbleblast Ultra level built in the Halo 1 engine. Like five times in a row, with no improvement or increased tension or challenge past the first "Oh, I have to go right even though the waypoint is to the left because it's farther away!"

Ugh. So that left a bad taste in my mouth.

The rest of the game was phenomenal.

Kolbe
09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
People are complaining about how the game's graphics aren't very good, and I'm pretty sure that's nature's way of saying "This person is dumb."

Graphics are not as detailed and über-realistic as other games, that's true, but Halo 3 is beautiful, and not many games are beautiful these days. Is 'beautiful' an ambiguous word? Yes it is, but that's how Halo 3 is.

Excitemike
09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I love the one level that opens with a panoramic view of the Ark and you think, "That's weird, a painting?" Then you notice the smoke in the distance is subtly swirling and a ship flies into the scene.

I think it is a painting and they added the smoke and ship on top of it. But I only saw it once, and was stunned by how it looked and didn't examine it too carefully. It reminded me of the paintings from the XBLA version of Marathon.

And has Guilty Sparks's eye always been the Marathon logo? That logo pops up all over the place.

Schmidt
09-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Graphics are not as detailed and über-realistic as other games, that's true, but Halo 3 is beautiful, and not many games are beautiful these days. Is 'beautiful' an ambiguous word? Yes it is, but that's how Halo 3 is.

They said in an EDGE article they weren't going for photorealism exactly, more a painted look, and they're pretty happy with how it turned out. If it looks a bit like concept art paintings, it should.

And has Guilty Sparks's eye always been the Marathon logo?

Yes.

Octopus Prime
09-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Would someone be so kind as to spoil the after-credit ending for me? I accidentally skipped past it and I think it will be a while before I finish the game again on Heroic/Legendary.

Excitemike
09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Would someone be so kind as to spoil the after-credit ending for me? I accidentally skipped past it and I think it will be a while before I finish the game again on Heroic/Legendary.

A common malady. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=1478)

Schmidt
09-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Youtube. Search for "Halo 3 legendary ending". Last night there were a couple cameras-pointed-at-screens versions, but at least one high quality (in the Youtube sense of the word) capture.

ringworm
09-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Well either I got used to the difficulty level or weapons placement got better (or some combination of the two) because I think I'm almost done. I just picked up Cortana in that really fucking annoying Flood ship, before calling it a night. In the first handful of missions there were at least two or three encounters that took me at least an hour to beat. Nothing like that since then, with the exception of the Scarab x2 fight.

Parish
09-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, on the higher levels some of the skirmishes in the first couple of levels are crazy -- the base at the end of Sierra 117 and the narrow Brute shooting gallery in Crow's Nest seem to be sticking points for everyone.

ringworm
09-28-2007, 06:27 PM
So yeah, done. I really enjoyed it overall, it was a good bookend on the entire series. I'm so glad that post-credits scene was there though. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the entire Halo story would have been ruined had they left it like it at the point it was pre-credits.

Was I the only one expecting a giant battlefield fight at the end? I guess I got that impression from the commercials. What was that a diorama of?

The art direction was really pretty excellent throughout the entire thing. I personally think Prime 3's art was better, but Halo 3's made a larger impact due to the graphics simply being stronger.

Also Luke Smith actually is a writer for them? Is that what he was hired for? I guess I always assumed it was some community management role. While I thought the story of Halo was above average, and probably excellent relative to most video games, I still feel like the dialogue was mostly amateurish.

It is totally awesome that when beating it on Heroic I also got the Achievement for Normal.

Excitemike
09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Was I the only one expecting a giant battlefield fight at the end? I guess I got that impression from the commercials. What was that a diorama of?

It's not a scene from the game. The scenerio was created from whole cloth by the advertising agency, who had no knowledge of how the game ended.

Anyone watch the limited edition disc yet? The feature program is one of the better documetaries I've seen all year. And there's just a little taste of John DiMaggio.

That warthog game is pretty addicting, as well.

Schmidt
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I started watching the Jen Taylor feature. I can't remember which disk that's on, do you guys without the cat helmet have that?

openedsource
09-28-2007, 11:43 PM
You know what I always felt Halo needed? More first-person platforming. And what would be really awesome would be if it were on a monochromatic stage with flood that can peg you with stingers repeatedly from across the map.

ringworm
09-28-2007, 11:45 PM
You know what I always felt Halo needed? More first-person platforming. And what would be really awesome would be if it were on a monochromatic stage with flood that can peg you with stingers repeatedly from across the map.
Oh god, seriously. That shit was fucking the worst.

Stiv
10-01-2007, 03:12 AM
This is the first time I've wished a Halo game had a longer campaign. The story's pretty boring and the big plot twists are predictable thanks to the setup from the other two games, but whatever. The only one that really disappointed was Cortana isn't really rampant. LAME. Otherwise the game is extremely solid and finally, dare I say, has better mechanics than Marathon. There, I said it. Bungie finally made a game that plays better than Marathon.

Did anyone else have a bitch of a time fighting the two scarabs? I eventually had to crash a pelican into one and take it down that way because trying to use the warthogs/mongoose to take down both of them is suicide, even on Normal.

Fortunately there's always co-op. I have to beat it on Legendary and find all the terminals somehow, right?

openedsource
10-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Did anyone else have a bitch of a time fighting the two scarabs? I eventually had to crash a pelican into one and take it down that way because trying to use the warthogs/mongoose to take down both of them is suicide, even on Normal.

I learned after a couple of tries that you don't actually need to board the scarabs to kill them - it is possible to blow off the ass-hatch and shoot it dead from the pelican.

reibeatall
10-01-2007, 07:58 AM
You guys got in the pelicans? Man, I just drove my warthog under that little ramp thing in the middle, shot the legs out from there, and jumped on.

Kolbe
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I used the ramps to jump (with the warthog) near the scarabs and then, in mid-air, I just jumped onto the thing! My comrade died during my deed, but it's not my fault. I said "Get off, I'm gonna jump" repeatedly, but he didn't listen.

Sarcasmorator
10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Hornets, not Pelicans. Hornets.

Balrog
10-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I didn't know you could take out the legs until I played coop with Rei. In my solo run I landed the hornet on one and made a crazy jump from that platform on the other.

Zef
10-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I haven't tried the double-Scarab battle solo yet, but last night I played it co-op with a friend and we had a pretty good team going. I drew fire from the Scarabs (and the Brutes on top of them) by flying in zig-zags between them, occasionally blasting their legs off with missiles, while he slipped in through the back and blew their generators with virtually no opposition.

Has anyone tried taking a Scorpion into that battle? I can't imagine it surviving for long, not with the Scarabs' main cannon and its anti-aircraft turret targeting a large, slow-moving vehicle.

John
10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
At least on Normal, the Scorpion worked fine. I edged it around the little valley, and was able to take out the first one's kneecap. After it fell, I made the long long run over to it, jumped up the side and took out the panel.

It did take me a half dozen trys to get number two down, though. Sometimes the Scorpion would have a mind of its own, and come out into the battle after I jump out, only to get blown up nicely. Once the Hornets are up in the air, they don't want to come back and give a guy a lift, so I was stuck trying to take down the knee with sticky grenades and a plasma rifle. Didn't work so well.

Octopus Prime
10-01-2007, 08:12 PM
The trick to fighting the two Scarabs is to use the Hornet to blow off the rear-armor, which gives you a clear and easy shot at the reactor.

Only took me, like, 2 dozen tries to bring them down that way.

Parish
10-01-2007, 09:31 PM
The two scarabs weren't tough at all on Normal, but I'm dreading them on Heroic.

Schmidt
10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
So, all you guys that finished, my gripes about the end (spoilerized upthread) didn't resonate with anyone else? I'm really on my own there?

Sarcasmorator
10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Nah, I see your point. It was a kind of lackluster (and obligatory) ending sequence in some ways. I've seen a few reviews heaping praise on it, but really it's nothing spectacular.

Savathun
10-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Ending spoilers.

I was dissapointed with the end, but I guess it wouldn't have really worked if it had played out the way I expected it would (a big boss fight against the Gravemind). Halo always sort of set these rules in the first game for what would be "realistic" in the boundaries of that world, and boss fights always stretch the realism, so something like that would completely destroy it. But I was at the very least hoping that there would be a few Gravemind tentacles shooting out to stop you as you sped away in the jeep. That would have been enough to satisfy me. Or just the sight of it being vaporized as the explosion took it. Was that too much to ask?

And also, about Terrence Stamp replacing Wincott... I had a similar complaint about BioShock, but when the villain's voice is suddenly changed, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the same guy. Truth in Halo 2 was an evil, conniving, bastard who was curiously likable. And that likability made him even WORSE, which... as a villain, made him better. But Stamp plays him kind of as an overzealous dullard. The Truth I wanted to kill at the end of Halo 2 got away when his voice actor was changed.

I'm sure i'm the only one who felt that way.

Sarcasmorator
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Re: Wincott -- No, you're not the only one.

Octopus Prime
10-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Firstly, I consider Stamp to be an improvement. I base this soley on the fact that it means that the Covenant were led by General Zod, which also paves the way for a lot of undoubtably awful fan-fiction.

Secondly (spoilers)
I think Gravemind was destroyed alongside High Charity. That IS where he did most of his talking, he had completely infected it and after the city was destroyed, but after the Flood start attacking again, Cortana said something to the effect of "[The Gravemind] is trying to rebuild itself!". So yeah, High Charity's massive explodey end was also Graveminds massive explodey end.

We just didn't see him go up in flames.

Gredlen
10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I think my biggest disappointment was (spoilers) what happened (or didn't) when you found Cortana. All that dramatic buildup with her random appearances and cryptic quotes, Gravemind's disorienting taunts, the apparent merging of Gravemind and Cortana, all lead up to... nothing. No climax at all. You find her and get on with what you were doing.
Although I think the flow of the story worked better that way, it seemed like the entire subplot was a pointless diversion as a result.

Savathun
10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I agree. She seems to be perfectly fine afterwards. No concern that maybe parts of her have been overrun by parts of him, which wouldn't bode well for anyone.

Figure Four
10-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Well I just finished up my Heroic playthrough and I can definitely say that I enjoyed it more than the first time. The A.I., the weapons, the level design everything just came into a sharper focus on the higher difficulty. The part that I found odd was that the sequences that gave me trouble on normal (the fight with the brute pack on top of the first tower in The Covenant and almost the entirety of Cortana) weren't that bad on Heroic. Instead I got really caught up on bits that I just breezed through before.

Now I just got to play enough multiplayer games to get that saved film of the time I died 49 times on Tsavo Highway off my hard drive.

Parish
10-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm sad that XBLA has been so overloaded. I played missions four through six on Heroic and did a damn good job of it, but the proof never updated on my bungie.net record because the network crapped out.