PDA

View Full Version : Alternate selection: Contra III

Parish
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Taking recommendations. Something to offset Halo 3, plz.

reibeatall
09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
How about the Contras? Contra, Super, or Alien Wars?

Parish
09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
A WINNER: It is you.

reibeatall
09-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Sweet! I can finally use that Awesome Super Nintendo Secrets (http://www99.epinions.com/Awesome_Super_Nintendo_Secrets_by_J_Douglas_Arnold ) book I bought a few weeks ago!

Tomm Guycot
09-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Your check is in the mail.

again.

Eusis
09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Now I have an excuse to give this game another go! Especially since I may not be jumping on the Halo 3 bandwagon just yet.

Octopus Prime
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Contra 3 is a game where you shoot aliens.

And aliens who look like robots.

And alien robots.

Parish
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
You can also trying applying the Gradius no-shooting challenge to this game. let me know how it goes.

mr_bungle700
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Not very well!

SlimJimm
09-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow its hard to get past level 4 without saving states like crazy! The three bosses in level 3 always take away so many lives. ><

Also Spread Gun + C Missiles = Happiness

Tomm Guycot
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Spread Gun + Flame is pretty sweet.

(the C stands for Crush, fyi)

Merus
09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Sorry guys, not playing Contra III.

I might use this week to check out this game I found on the VC called 'Super Probotector' instead. It looks pretty goofy.

Kishi
09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
(the C stands for Crush, fyi)

Or possibly Crash.

SlimJimm
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Crush, Crash, still sounds odd but they work wonders as a heavy hitting weapon.

Going through this game again Im still in awe of all the cool bosses. The Skeleton Robot in the wall still rocks, and nothing is cooler than riding missiles into an alien aircraft.

Balrog
09-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Guys, homing missiles and Lasers is the right answer. Spread is soooo Super C. Double Flame also wins.

mr_bungle700
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Always Spread and Flame for me. Spread for regular enemies and Flame for bosses.

Tomm Guycot
09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Or possibly Crash.

::points up::

Also - really, lasers? I've never been able to make them useful.

Eirikr
09-24-2007, 09:06 PM
You can also trying applying the Gradius no-shooting challenge to this game. let me know how it goes.

Yay! Thanks for the sarcastic (?) plug for my challenge, Mr. Parish!

Kishi
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM

What?

Balrog
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Also - really, lasers? I've never been able to make them useful.

Lasers for bosses and top-down stuff. Spinning with the laser kills everything.

mr_bungle700
09-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Laser tears apart the bosses of both top-down stages, if I remember correctly. It's Contrawesome. I do like Flame better though.

JCDenton
09-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Blech top down blech.

Tomm Guycot
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Oh right, we're talking about the game.

The top down stages ruin it for me. There's 6 stages total, and when you remove the top downs you only get 4 real "Contra" levels. That's disappointing.

mr_bungle700
09-25-2007, 12:21 AM
True enough, though I still enjoy the top-down stages in a HEY GUYS IS MODE 7 GREAT OR WHAT kind of way.

Kishi
09-25-2007, 12:25 AM
That's not Mode 7, though.

I think they were an interesting attempt to play to the SNES's strengths (as with the rest of the game) while expanding upon the overheard stages from Super C. Their enthusiasm for the shoulder buttons just turned out to be poorly founded.

Savathun
09-25-2007, 01:26 AM
They're great levels if you ever swallow anything poisonous and need to vomit it up in a hurry. Especially the quicksand parts.

SlimJimm
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one who liked the Top-Down levels better than the old Tunnel levels?

JCDenton
09-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Am I the only one who liked the Top-Down levels better than the old Tunnel levels?

Quite possibly.

Ghost from Spelunker
09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

I don't know what this old Tunnel level is, but I had fun with the overhead levels. Dodging shots and shooting from 360 was pretty easy. And I still get to blast things. If you're still struggling with these two levels, get the homing gun.

I had any musical talent and was going to make the Contra III level 2 music on Mario Paint, I'd get finally get to use the cat instrument!

Tomm Guycot
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
The other flaw in Contra III is there are several stretches of the game where nothing is really happening, you're just doing something repetetive to stay alive (like in lvl 3 when you climb up that building with the huge gray monster around you? it basically amounts to following him to the location of your showdown).

Big sections where no 'action' is happening in Contra are bad, and should be forbidden.

Also, the motorcycle stage (4) is the exact moment the series changed from "platforming + shooting" into "move along a flat plane in search of the next big setpiece encounter."

This continued into Hard Corps, and then Shattered Soldier. If "Jump" is only used to dodge stuff, that's another serious problem with your Contra.

(seriously - replay HC or SS and count the platforms that aren't just places enemies sit)

TheSL
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
The other flaw in Contra III is there are several stretches of the game where nothing is really happening, you're just doing something repetetive to stay alive (like in lvl 3 when you climb up that building with the huge gray monster around you? it basically amounts to following him to the location of your showdown).

Big sections where no 'action' is happening in Contra are bad, and should be forbidden.

Also, the motorcycle stage (4) is the exact moment the series changed from "platforming + shooting" into "move along a flat plane in search of the next big setpiece encounter."

This continued into Hard Corps, and then Shattered Soldier. If "Jump" is only used to dodge stuff, that's another serious problem with your Contra.

(seriously - replay HC or SS and count the platforms that aren't just places enemies sit)

We should compile all the random quotes from you about Contra and make a book titled "Tomm Hulett's Guide to a Well-Balanced Contra Design." Seriously, though, if you fix all of those things in Contra 4 then I'll be happy.

Balrog
09-25-2007, 04:04 PM

I liked 'em better too. Nuts to those tunnels.

Tomm Guycot
09-25-2007, 04:33 PM
On the positive side, Contra III has tons of powerups, and you never go TOO far in a stage without another chance to get them - that's something the later games screwed up.

On PS2 there weren't even ANY powerups. That's just no good.

mr_bungle700
09-25-2007, 04:52 PM
That's not Mode 7, though.

It isn't? I was under the impression that Mode 7 was used for scaling and rotation of sprite based backgrounds. I was working from ancient memories though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was mistaken.

SlimJimm
09-25-2007, 05:24 PM

I actually thought the whole climbing/dodging sequence with the boss was pretty cool, especially when he changes into a crazy drilling monster with spike arms.
In fact thats a good memorable moment in the game.

Tomm Guycot
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I actually thought the whole climbing/dodging sequence with the boss was pretty cool, especially when he changes into a crazy drilling monster with spike arms.
In fact thats a good memorable moment in the game.

Except that's the actual boss fight, once the climbing has stopped.

You have to climb to get there.

Shadax
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
I haven't played this game until today ("heretic!" the masses scream) but I that isn't my big confession.

My heretofore secret shame is that I kind of enjoyed the first overhead stage. It wasn't very Contra, but I enjoyed it in it's own deeply-flawed way.

Kishi
09-25-2007, 05:54 PM

So, how about that jetski level?

It isn't? I was under the impression that Mode 7 was used for scaling and rotation of sprite based backgrounds. I was working from ancient memories though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was mistaken.

No, you're basically right. I don't know what I must have thought you were talking about, there. Nevermind.

Tomm Guycot
09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
So, how about that jetski level?

There's nothing wrong with a vehicle stage. Just when the philosophy of a vehicle stage becomes your motivation behind sidescrolling on-foot stages.

Merus
09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
So it turns out that Super Probotector is Contra III but with robots instead of humans.

YOU GOT ME KONAMI you got me.

MCBanjoMike
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Just fired 'er up for a quick game...

...turns out I SUCK at Contra III. Haven't played it for a while, but man, I don't remember getting reamed like this when I played it as a teenager. And to think I used to actually be really good at Super C.

Tomm Guycot
09-25-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't mean to sound negative. Contra III was my series pick until I went back last year and, you know, studied everything about them : /

There are many things it did PERFECTLY! Such as the fight with the wall-robot boss. That's still the first boss that comes to mind when I think Contra.

Also good was the long section of monkeybars where you fight those mosquito guys. Very classic.

There are few games on the SNES with an action quotient as high as Contra III, and that's saying something considering the game was one of the first on the system.

Ghost from Spelunker
09-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I normally do a C gun and a laser. I can't stay alive that long against the bosses on hard difficulty, so I had to learn the most concentrated guns.

Has anybody dared to wield the power of two C guns? What about a two player game with 4 C guns?

Tomm Guycot
09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Crush! For goodness sake, Crush!

It's in the manual!

Ghost from Spelunker
09-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Crush! For goodness sake, Crush!

It's in the manual!

The same manual that renamed our heroes Jimbo and Sulley?

Nah, C is for Crash Bomber. Better yet, Clash Bomber!

vaterite
09-27-2007, 09:20 AM
The bike scene is awful, because it isn't itself an interesting gaming mechanic, it's just flash, and tired, non-interesting flash. Plus, any level in any game where you jump and your bike follows you is awful. However, what follows that is the hanging off of missiles scene, which is an interesting extension of the games hanging mechanic, experimented with in earlier stages and just made really really hard when the boss keeps blowing up your missiles. Did I say missiles!

Tomm Guycot
09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
If the bike didn't move with you, the game wouldn't work.

In order for it to be fair to the players, you would have to limit what enemies could do, since you could no longer jump forward/backward to avoid them.

This would make a stage you already called uninteresting even less interesting, because the enemies wouldn't be doing anything interesting either.

Or you could do what Hard Corps did and punish the player unfairly. Those motorcycles prohibit sliding. Sliding is necessary in HC boss fights to dodge (you're invincible while you slide).

The bosses you fight on motorcycles still require this.

You just can't do it.

Sporophyte
09-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I generally go with the flamethrower and crush missles whenever possible, although the second boss on stage 6 goes down like a chump when faced with the laser. I also find the Laser does a good job on the boss of stage 5 in hard mode when the spining is so fast all I can do is rush him and pray.

I almost never use spread. Weapons with more punch just always seem more useful.

vaterite
09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
If the bike didn't move with you, the game wouldn't work.

In order for it to be fair to the players, you would have to limit what enemies could do, since you could no longer jump forward/backward to avoid them.

This would make a stage you already called uninteresting even less interesting, because the enemies wouldn't be doing anything interesting either.

I understand that the bike needs to move in this stage in order for you to jump. I just think that it's no fun. You're essentially on one screen the whole time, with the backround moving along behind you, and enemies flying around. The game becomes double dragon, with guns. Which I think is lame.

What did Hard Corps do? I haven't played anything newer than Contra III, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Kishi
09-28-2007, 01:35 PM
You're essentially on one screen the whole time, with the backround moving along behind you, and enemies flying around.

That parallax trick with the sand dunes was awfully pretty, though.

Shadax
09-29-2007, 03:28 PM
So I tried the no-shooting challenge, and managed to make it about a third of the way through the first level on one continue...

After about an hour of trying.

Red Hedgehog
09-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Yay! I needed a good run and gun and this hit the spot. I actually think 75% of my gaming in the month of September has been fun club games.

So my first impressions of this game are that it is good, not great. So far, I'd put it below Contra and Super C (NES versions). The biggest difference in feel is that the screen seem more crowded - I guess because the sprites are bigger? You seem to have less room to maneuver. Also, the overhead stage is not as good as the behind the back stages from the original (It took me awhile to not get dizzy as I was rotating it around).

So I can get to the stage three boss on one credit, but then I get stuck. If I shoot at him long enough to get him to open his eye, it is often too late to get out of the way when he lunges at me. Any hints?

Tomm Guycot
09-30-2007, 02:06 AM
So I can get to the stage three boss on one credit, but then I get stuck. If I shoot at him long enough to get him to open his eye, it is often too late to get out of the way when he lunges at me. Any hints?

You sure you're talking about Stage 3? Cause its boss doesn't involve eye-shooting.

Octopus Prime
09-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Unless you mean the wall-walker boss, where you do shoot its eye. Or at least, it's red eye-like region.

The trick is to shoot it at an angle.

vaterite
09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
So I tried the no-shooting challenge, and managed to make it about a third of the way through the first level on one continue...

After about an hour of trying.

After reading your post, I went back and failed miserably at this. Eventually, when I pumped my lives up to seven, and the difficulty down to easy, I made it to the first wall, and belatedly realized contra's got way too many bosses/mini-bosses which will never die for a no shooting challenge.

Guy
09-30-2007, 11:23 AM

If it's the wall-walker, I think I see what you're doing. You don't need to shoot him at all until he opens his eye. Until then, just spend your time climbing up and down so you'll hopefully be out of his way when he decides to lunge.

Tomm Guycot
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Flame is the best weapon for that midboss. One, it will easily dispatch the missiles he fires on the way up the wall. After that, you don't really have to have a good angle to shoot him, because you can just wave the flame over his face.

Zef
09-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Whee! Contra III was my second download (right after Super Metroid) and I wanted to check the first level or two, you know, for nostalgia's sake? Ended up playing through Normal and Hard without even sitting down, only losing three lives (very, very stupid mistakes, too.) Amazing that my hands still remember the exact same attack patterns I used when I was in seventh grade.

Also: Hunter + Flame. There is no question. My only allowance is to Laser + Crush to take down the Robo Corpse at the end of Level 3, and the carapace from Level 5. And the gauntlet of past Contra bosses in the last level = LOVE.

Merus
10-01-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm really curious to find out what Contra 3 looks like, because all the guys I'm shooting are robots as well. They even went so far as to replace the stage complete images with the Probotectors in what is likely identical poses.

Despite the fact that I kept calling out 'cheap' during the fire platforming section of the first level, I was actually enjoying myself a fair bit.

I did notice that my first run through each level tended to be instant death, but after that it was not particularly tricky. I'm really not sure what this says about Contra's difficulty level in that it mostly seems to rely on you not knowing what's coming, but then perhaps that's just my experience.

I also couldn't put in the Konami Code. This soured me a little bit: finally an opportunity to indulge in some gaming history, all for naught.

I really like the overhead stages, but the boss of the second level is pretty lame. You never quite feel like you've gotten out from under him when he starts his last stage of attacks.