PDA

View Full Version : New Kanye is out

Kishi
06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
My initial impression is that it's better than his last album but not as good as 808s or Graduation (but then, few things are). There are only a few tracks I wholeheartedly like, but I like at least part of all of themówhich is still good compared to Fantasy, which had two or three good tracks and ten unlistenable ones.

Little Sampson
06-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Fascinating. I consider MBDTF his masterpiece, with 808s and Graduation being the lowest points in his discography (not bad, but less good than the others).

Yeezus seems really good so far. I'm waiting to see what happens when the veneer of newness wears off before making my final judgement.

Adrenaline
06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
which is still good compared to Fantasy, which had two or three good tracks and ten unlistenable ones.

ppppppppppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttt

BEAT
06-18-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll have to check this out.

Zodar
06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
My least favorite Kanye album was 808s, and I still played the shit out of 808s. Yeezus slays; the production is incredible, the beats are incredible, and when Ye uses one of those goofy on-the-nose Ye rhymes he rubs your fuckin nose in it. Gat damn

Kishi
06-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I listened to Fantasy again after this, and it wasn't as bad as I'd remembered. Now it's more like seven good tracks, six lousy ones. Some of the bad ones are really bad, but that's what you get for letting Nicki Minaj talk on your track.

It does seem that if you like Fantasy, you'll like Yeezus. They both have that meandering experimental sound, never settling down on any one thing too long (except Kanye's beloved auto-tuning).

madhair60
06-18-2013, 12:04 PM
In this french-ass restaurant

hurry up with my damn croissants

Pajaro Pete
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
praise yeezus!

Zodar
06-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Some of the bad ones are really bad, but that's what you get for letting Nicki Minaj talk on your track.

Woah woah hold up

Are you referring to Dark Fantasy or Monster? Because if you're talking about Monster-- more specifically, Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster-- we're gonna have trouble.

Adrenaline
06-18-2013, 01:13 PM
For real.

First things first I'ma eat your brains

Kishi
06-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh look I'm suddenly doing a cartoon voice isn't that nice

The sound of Jay-Z's voice also elicits an immediate sigh.

BŁge
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Technically, it's Kim and Kanye's.

And it's a girl.

Alixsar
06-19-2013, 12:47 AM
The first song has "Don't judge 'em Joe Brown" and "DICK IN THEIR MOUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTHHHHHH" as lyrics.

So yeah, it is a Kayne West album, for sure.

Also I find it hilarious that Kayne has a feverent white nerd following.

Kishi
06-19-2013, 12:51 AM
It's just music. It's not "for" any particular race. Don't be a jerk.

Alixsar
06-19-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm not even halfway through it yet. It's fine so far. As usually, I find the lyrics eye rolling at worst and hilarious at best. DICK IN THE MOUUUUUUTHHH is probably the highlight so far, if only for the delivery. The rest of it is well produced and well put together, so hey. I don't listen to music for lyrics so it's fine. The latter is infinitely more important than the former, and it's there.

And no, I reserve the right to think that it's funny that a bunch of nerds (myself included, naturally) who debate minutiae about Mega Man level design and endlessly rage over whether or not the ME3 ending was worse than Pol Pot or Hitler or both, are all like AWW SHIT KAYNE'S THE JAM. I mean, talk about worlds colliding, you know?

I concede that musical taste and video game taste are not things that are mutually exclusive, and thus it makes perfect sense. It's not a value judgment about you or me or anyone. It's just...I mean, of all the things for TT to latch on to, I am shocked that this has thus far been so well received by everyone who's listened to it.

madhair60
06-19-2013, 02:26 AM
no, no, the best part is french-ass restaurant/damn croissants, this is not up for debate

woofbro
06-19-2013, 04:27 AM
I can't handle no liquor...

but these bitches can't handle me!

Adrenaline
06-19-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm not even halfway through it yet. It's fine so far. As usually, I find the lyrics eye rolling at worst and hilarious at best. DICK IN THE MOUUUUUUTHHH is probably the highlight so far, if only for the delivery. The rest of it is well produced and well put together, so hey. I don't listen to music for lyrics so it's fine. The latter is infinitely more important than the former, and it's there.

And no, I reserve the right to think that it's funny that a bunch of nerds (myself included, naturally) who debate minutiae about Mega Man level design and endlessly rage over whether or not the ME3 ending was worse than Pol Pot or Hitler or both, are all like AWW SHIT KAYNE'S THE JAM. I mean, talk about worlds colliding, you know?

I concede that musical taste and video game taste are not things that are mutually exclusive, and thus it makes perfect sense. It's not a value judgment about you or me or anyone. It's just...I mean, of all the things for TT to latch on to, I am shocked that this has thus far been so well received by everyone who's listened to it.

Kanye has to be among the most nerd-friendly rappers who's not a nerd-rapper ever.

upupdowndown
06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Kanye has to be among the most nerd-friendly rappers who's not a nerd-rapper ever.

Truth.

also:

NEWSFLASH white people are the majority of rap fans and have been since the early 90s

Ample Vigour
06-19-2013, 09:52 AM
NEWSFLASH white people are the majority of rap fans and have been since the early 90s

it was all downhill after de la soul

Ample Vigour
06-19-2013, 09:53 AM
*fastens top button on polo shirt, gets into a Scion with a TRBCDQST vanity plate*

Zodar
06-19-2013, 10:28 AM

In that case he'd be the most nerd-friendly rapper period, since nerd-rappers are hostile to anything with ears

ajr82
06-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Graduation is Kanye's worst album by far. "Drunk and Hot Girls"? "Barry Bonds"? Ugh.

BEAT
06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
In that case he'd be the most nerd-friendly rapper period, since nerd-rappers are hostile to anything with ears

*SNRK*

http://edge-img.datpiff.com/mbaf612b/Chamillionaire_King_Koopa_Southern_Royalty-front-large.jpg

Kishi
06-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Graduation is Kanye's worst album by far. "Drunk and Hot Girls"? "Barry Bonds"? Ugh.

Almost every track you didn't name is gold, though. And while "Drunk and Hot Girls" is easily the low point, and I hold a base respect for phonetic translations of Can songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VmM8qRRLwU#t=47s).

Adrenaline
06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
A bad Kanye album is like a bad... uh... burger. It's probably still pretty good.

Halfway through my first listen of Yeezus. It's good.

Evil Dead Junkie
07-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Lou Reed loses his shit over Yeezus. (http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/lou-reed)
This is not a joke.

chud_666
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
it was all downhill after de la soul

This is a daisy age.

reibeatall
07-04-2013, 09:24 PM
no sports bra let's keep it bouncin

edit - also how the fuck can anybody hate the first half of graduation

JDS
07-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Man I love the production on The Blueprint but Kanye's reign of supremacy and everyone's personal interest in him makes me feel really confused and out of touch.

ajr82
07-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Having finally listened to it, the first half of Yeezus is really good but it falls off hard in the second half.

Zodar
07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Having finally listened to it, the first half of Yeezus is really good but it falls off hard in the second half.
[nuh uh, honey]

Double Dracula
07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
[nuh uh, honey]

This was the most perfect response in message board history. Thank you.

Yeezus is a really incredible listen, and I'm generally a huge fan of Kanye. But does anyone else feel really bummed out - just really emotionally drained - after hearing Yeezus from start to finish? I've come to dread it, a bit.

Which is exactly the opposite of my reaction to MBDTF, which I listened to in its entirety on a daily basis for like three months.

Anyway, Kanye is now officially an Incredible Artist.

reibeatall
07-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I am at the point where I listen to it at least once a day. I fucking love it, one of my favorite albums. New Slaves is Just. So. Good.

Kishi
02-15-2016, 05:59 PM
The Life of Pablo just kind of went in one ear and out the other, at least on the first listen. Recycled concepts, few surprises, a Kendrick collaboration that just reminded me how much fresher he is than Kanye at this pointónothing that wormed into my head to stay. My favorite thing about it is this brief joke track, which actually put a smile on my face:

_1D6fJ0r16k

At least we're on the same page of missing the old Kanye.

Double Dracula
02-15-2016, 06:37 PM
I still haven't listened to TLOP, because I'm waiting for Kanye to finish tinkering with it, but I'm prepared to be a bit disappointed. He set an impossibly high precedent with his last two albums.

Little Sampson
02-15-2016, 08:06 PM
In contrast, while its not one of my favorite albums of his, there's not a single track I dislike and I have had a lot of fun listening to it in spite of its problems.

Kishi
02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
"I'm almost done with this album, guys."

"But Mr. West...you already released it. It's out."

http://i.imgur.com/STv6R6X.png

Moon Orbit
02-16-2016, 03:23 AM
Wait, he's still working on it? o_O

Double Dracula
02-16-2016, 04:14 AM
Kanye, I'ma let you finish.

Behemoth
02-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Wait, he's still working on it? o_O

He released it, then pulled it back to "fix" the song "Wolves." Which means we're at a point where artists are patching albums. What a time to be alive.

estragon
02-17-2016, 01:19 AM
He released it, then pulled it back to "fix" the song "Wolves." Which means we're at a point where artists are patching albums.

I . . . like this?

I think the old song should remain officially available in perpetuity though. I doubt that's happening. Is it? I am never going to subscribe to Tidal.

Cyrael
02-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Still hoping that the recent exclamation from Kanye about Tidal exclusivity in perpetuity gets pulled back soon. I really want to hear this album, and probably own it, but I already have too many subscriptions.

MikeDinosaur
02-17-2016, 04:11 PM
My biggest financial hero is the guy who gets paid to help Kanye rhyme asshole with asshole.

Ample Vigour
02-17-2016, 04:49 PM
My biggest financial hero is the guy who gets paid to help Kanye rhyme asshole with asshole.

He is a big-type hero in my book *pulls out a book marked DUDES GETTIN PAID FOR NOT MUCH AT ALL*

Moon Orbit
02-18-2016, 10:34 AM
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/02/kanye-west-53-million-dollar-debt-explained Saw this on the front page of yahoo. Explains a lot.

pudik
02-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Anyway, the album (or what it exists as now) is good

conchobhar
02-19-2016, 02:36 PM
I've listened to The Life of Pablo three times now but I couldn't tell you anything about it. It's rough, scattershot, undeveloped, and completely forgettable, akin to a collection of demos.

I get a kick out of "I Love Kanye", a short bit where Kanye playfully hits back at his critics (and claims "I love you like Kanye loves Kanye" in the process). Which kind of says it all.

ajr82
02-19-2016, 04:43 PM
I can't say it much better than that, it's the first Kanye album I'd describe as "forgettable". Still, there are a couple of songs I like here ("Feedback" and "30 Hours", particularly).

Kishi
02-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Meanwhile, I went back and listened to 808s and Heartbreak for the first time in a long time and was amazed all over again at how good it is. Comparing it to Life of Pablo is like daylight and dark. I really do miss the old Kanye.

I wonder how much of his decline can be blamed on dividing his attention with side projects like fashion design. Would he do great things again if he just focused on music full-time?

Little Sampson
02-19-2016, 07:21 PM
I still like TLOP.

Dizzy
02-20-2016, 08:34 AM
Is Kanye losing his mind? See: SNL backroom talk

pudik
02-21-2016, 12:27 PM
I've listened to The Life of Pablo three times now but I couldn't tell you anything about it. It's rough, scattershot, undeveloped, and completely forgettable, akin to a collection of demos.

I get a kick out of "I Love Kanye", a short bit where Kanye playfully hits back at his critics (and claims "I love you like Kanye loves Kanye" in the process). Which kind of says it all.

In the same, this is pretty much the exact reason people like something like Beatles' White Album, and both work because of a high volume of really great songs. It's scattershot, but Kanye's work in general is pretty wide branching, and this, at a time we Kanye's at his most ambitious and polarizing, works as a pretty suitable zenith.

And there's plenty of reoccurring themes coming around. It doesn't really matter though. As a collection of songs it's probably his second best album for me.

Dizzy
02-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Meanwhile, I went back and listened to 808s and Heartbreak for the first time in a long time and was amazed all over again at how good it is. Comparing it to Life of Pablo is like daylight and dark. I really do miss the old Kanye.

I wonder how much of his decline can be blamed on dividing his attention with side projects like fashion design. Would he do great things again if he just focused on music full-time?

Goddamn listening to Paranoid is awesome. This was like a precursor to the retro synth revival that would happen over the next 2-3 years this album was released.

I had no idea at the time I listened to this back in 08/09 how impactful the whole album would be on music.

Zodar
02-21-2016, 12:51 PM
I think people remember 808s as worse than it was because of Robocop and Lil Wayne's execrable verse on that one song, you know the one

Paranoid is fantastic, yeah

Emcee Escher
02-21-2016, 02:25 PM
It's funny, because I agree with more or less all of the criticisms of The Life of Pablo that I've heard (it's very rough and scattered, lyrically it's not his best, douchebag Kanye can be overpowering sometimes), but I still really like it. I think a lot of the negative reaction is because it came after probably the best two albums of his career, and it's not quite up to the level of those, but even when Kanye's not at his best, he's still pretty damn good. The comparison to the White Album is really apt; I'm not sure if TLOP is that good, but it's very similar in spirit.

I think people remember 808s as worse than it was because of Robocop and Lil Wayne's execrable verse on that one song, you know the one

Paranoid is fantastic, yeah

I remember it got kind of a lukewarm reaction when it came out because nobody had really done the autotuned rap thing before and nobody knew what to think of it, but it's definitely a killer album. I feel like popular opinion of it has softened recently, after everyone realized that it basically defined such a huge part of popular music that came after it. Drake basically doesn't exist (at least in his current form) without 808s.

taosterman
02-21-2016, 02:59 PM
I thought auto-tune was popularized by T-Pain? Or did 808s and Heartbreak add another layer to it? I haven't heard it in forever.

Dizzy
02-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Cher might be to blame for popularizing auto-tuning but yeah I think T-Pain was doing it before anyone. Man... is auto-tuning now an old thing? A dated thing?

I think I might go buy 808s and Heartbreak since I can't find it anywhere and I'm jonesin' for it.

Emcee Escher
02-21-2016, 03:47 PM
From what I remember, T-Pain was more just doing pop music with autotune, and 808s was the first example of using it with rap. I haven't listened to anything by T-Pain in like a decade though, so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit. I still think Kanye was the one to really kickstart the trend of autotune in popular rap though.

taosterman
02-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Cher might be to blame for popularizing auto-tuning but yeah I think T-Pain was doing it before anyone.

There was actually an interesting Stuff You Should Know about the Cher auto-tune. Apparently her producer intentionally claimed that the effect was done via vocoder (a completely different effect) in order to stake a claim on it and keep imitators off the market. It wasn't until a lot later that people realized how the effect was actually done and it (briefly) took off as a whole subgenre of sorts.

Zodar
02-21-2016, 05:09 PM
This album is basically a mixtape that new songs are being added to well after its release. I hope eventually they're all collected in one place that isn't Tidal

conchobhar
02-22-2016, 01:51 AM
In the same, this is pretty much the exact reason people like something like Beatles' White Album, and both work because of a high volume of really great songs. It's scattershot, but Kanye's work in general is pretty wide branching, and this, at a time we Kanye's at his most ambitious and polarizing, works as a pretty suitable zenith.

Right, and there are albums I enjoy precisely because of those qualities, too. But I don't get that from TLOP at all.

To me, the key point that makes White Album (or any other long, ambitious and diverse album) work is that the individual songs are all pretty great; all well-developed, great music. That they don't fit together into a cohesive album is the charm, because it's like the artist was so bursting with creativity they just did everything they thought of, and did it all right. But... I don't think TLOP's songs have that much care an attention. "30 Hours" is fantastic for the first half, but then the 'outro' takes up the second half, which is mostly Kanye just mumbling and saying a lot of nothing.

"Like a collection of demos" is really the best way I can describe this album. There's kernels of great ideas all over the album, but they're just that: kernels. It doesn't feel anywhere near as explored or developed as it should be, and instead it comes across as meandering and lacklustre.

If nothing else it could do with fewer tracks.

Adrenaline
02-26-2016, 02:19 PM
I think 808's impact isn't just all the auto-tune but the change in tone. The whole album, as the title implies, is about pain and loss. It made it okay for rappers to have feelings.

And also I didn't get to it until after it was a few years old but when I did I was surprised people didn't like it more. The first half especially. It's amazing. So amazing. So amazing. So amazing. It's amazing.

ajr82
02-26-2016, 02:30 PM
It deserves an applause.