PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Retronauts of music?

Vega
07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I recently started listening to the bands covered on the Audio Slaughter Podcasts (http://cinemassacre.com/category/music-2/audio-slaughter/): Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Black Sabbath. So far, I like what I'm hearing. I've had enormous trouble getting into music before, and these podcasts are making it work for me. I think it helps that Cinemassacre made a lot of game videos that I felt were amusing and agreeable (albeit kinda dumb), so when they started making music podcasts I felt I could trust their opinions.

Now I'm close to finishing listening to the music they've recommended and I'd like to listen to a lot more music retrospective podcasts in a similar overview format that covers the albums, the concerts, the band members, and the music scene as a whole when the band was most influential. Any music more recent than 1975 is worth a look. A brief search of iTunes didn't turn up anything that seemed like that. Where can I find them?

It may disappoint you that I've enjoyed such mainstream choices, but I think for me a big part of being able to enjoy music is being able to find others who enjoy it and having a good chance of finding a concert within a day's drive. If I lived in a big metro area I'd have far more culture to choose from, but for now I don't.

Zarathustra
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
mebbe dis halp (http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/06/ten-great-music-podcasts.html)

or THUS (http://www.classicrockpodcast.com/)

Googleshng
07-12-2013, 04:34 PM
The glibbest of all answers is: Did you listen to the most recent retronauts?

Because it seriously was just rambling about the history of a particular genre of music and all.

Sanagi
07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
It's extremely difficult to find good music discussion. Music's so dependent on taste that even when you find someone who likes what you like, you find out it's for different reasons and you still have nothing to talk about.

Zarathustra
07-12-2013, 05:10 PM
yeah yeah (http://www.soundopinions.org/)

Parish
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
The glibbest of all answers is: Did you listen to the most recent retronauts?

Because it seriously was just rambling about the history of a particular genre of music and all.

Seriously, yo.

JDS
07-12-2013, 06:44 PM
jim derogatis is terrible

Zarathustra
07-12-2013, 06:52 PM

you take that back sir

Parish
07-12-2013, 08:37 PM

What a derogatisory statement.

Sanagi
07-13-2013, 02:34 AM
I've thought about doing a podcast about music theory using game music as examples, kind of like an audio version of the Cruise Elroy analyses of Ocarina of Time melodies. (http://cruiseelroy.net/2008/04/ocarina-music-1/) But I've never done a podcast and I'd probably have to drop one of my other projects to free up the time and effort.

Vega
07-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Sorry to take a while to get back to you. I'm currently downloading and listening to many of your recommendations, starting with the latest episode of Retronauts, and hearing where they take me. I'll get back to you in a few more days about it.

Vega
07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I just downloaded 45 episodes of the Sound Opinions podcast. I think they'll keep me busy for a while! Not many of their episode summaries sound like the historical retrospectives I was looking for, but they still sound pretty informative. But before I dig into them, I'm going to give the Retronauts episode my full attention.

I've also listened to a bunch of Led Zeppelin albums recently. How the West Was Won was interesting for how sprawly it is. So far their studio stuff sounds like elevator music.

ghosttaster
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
So far their studio stuff sounds like elevator music.

OK, listen, there are three immutable laws of rock, regardless of anyone's personal taste:

1. Hendrix is God
2. Black Sabbath rules
3. Led Zeppelin rules

Learn these.

But in all seriousness, I uh... hope you come around. Zeppelin II, IV, and Houses of the Holy are incredible.

JDS
07-15-2013, 06:13 PM
I've also listened to a bunch of Led Zeppelin albums recently. How the West Was Won was interesting for how sprawly it is. So far their studio stuff sounds like elevator music.

so what are you sayin little man, you don't like zepp?

JDS
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
seriously though that's a bizarre comparison and i kind of wonder if you're just one of those musically deaf people like hitchens and nabokov, no dis

ajr82
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
so what are you sayin little man, you don't like zepp?

I'll say that. I kinda hate electric blues in general. It's probably why I like The Beatles so, so much more than the Stones.

JDS
07-16-2013, 11:03 AM
I'll say that. I kinda hate electric blues in general. It's probably why I like The Beatles so, so much more than the Stones.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7gpdg.jpg

Vega
07-16-2013, 02:14 PM
On my first impression, the Led Zeppelin studio albums have been nice to listen to while doing other things like watching fireworks or reading. Their softness, repetitiveness and sometimes lack of lyrics seldom felt like it was demanding my complete attention. Was this groundbreaking stuff in the early 70s that has suffered the musical equivalent of Citizen Kane syndrome? Or is it still outstanding music that I've been listening to the wrong way? If it's the latter, please inform me how I should appreciate Zeppelin differently.

As for other bands:

I agree that Black Sabbath rules. White/Rob Zombie has been interesting for the couple albums I've heard. From Metallica, I've only heard a few tracks from "Kill 'Em All" but that's had quite a fast, powerful sound so far. Maybe right now I'm musically insensitive so only the louder stuff is engaging me?

JDS
07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Listen to White Zombie's early albums like Soul-Crusher when they were a full-on No Wave band to get yr mind blown.

Parish
07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
On my first impression, the Led Zeppelin studio albums have been nice to listen to while doing other things like watching fireworks or reading. Their softness, repetitiveness and sometimes lack of lyrics seldom felt like it was demanding my complete attention. Was this groundbreaking stuff in the early 70s that has suffered the musical equivalent of Citizen Kane syndrome? Or is it still outstanding music that I've been listening to the wrong way? If it's the latter, please inform me how I should appreciate Zeppelin differently.

Travel back in time to before an era when every band that lifted from Zeppelin had shifted your expectations. The band's hard-edged fusion of rock and blues was like nothing anyone had ever heard.

Also, the fact that you refer to their sound as "soft" tells me you need better speakers, because clearly you're not actually hearing the drums.

Vega
07-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Travel back in time to before an era when every band that lifted from Zeppelin had shifted your expectations. The band's hard-edged fusion of rock and blues was like nothing anyone had ever heard.

Also, the fact that you refer to their sound as "soft" tells me you need better speakers, because clearly you're not actually hearing the drums.

Should I listen to more 50s and 60s rock to get that context?

I've been listening to it all through headphones. As often as possible, I listen through what I think are good sounding Koss UR-40s, but when I'm on the go I'm reduced to using some crappy Sony earbuds.

I think the real reason they came across to me as soft is that my first impression of popular music, outside the cocoon of classical music and 60s rock that was the extent of what my dad played at home, was the metal, alt rock, grunge and gangster rap my friends listened to in the early 90s.

shivam
07-16-2013, 05:57 PM
zepplin are like the beatles- so completely cutting edge that they were copied and imitated by everyone that followed, turning their exotic sound into something generic. See also Lord of the Rings and fantasy. You have to consider the context surrounding zep to get why they were so good.

Meditative_Zebra
07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Their softness, repetitiveness and sometimes lack of lyrics seldom felt like it was demanding my complete attention.

I'm with Parish. If Led Zeppelin seems soft to you I seriously wonder if you're suffering from an inferior sound system. The Koss headphones you mention look passable for low-quality music listening but the Sony earbuds are in all likelihood terrible. If you want to really listen to music in a way where you can enjoy the full sound experience you you should invest in some high quality headphones. I can vouch for either these (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374018996&sr=8-1&keywords=mdr+v6) or these (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374018985&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+ath-m50) in the realm of over-the-ear headphones.

Posaune
07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I don't really see how something like "Black Dog" could not be seen as hard rockin'.

JDS
07-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Dazed and Confused is like right there on the first album and oh man the dynamics

Vega
08-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Everyone, thanks again for recommending Sound Opinions. It's giving me a nice overview of a ton of music that I'm starting to borrow from the library. I'm looking forward to being able to say cool, informed things about music in the music threads. I'm also looking forward to feeling like I belong at concerts and parties with good music. I've never been able to do any of that before. I probably should give Sound Opinions a donation after I've caught up.

Some people have said that I can't really understand music without playing an instrument. Maybe that's true, but one thing at a time.

periodical
08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Some people have said that I can't really understand music without playing an instrument. Maybe that's true, but one thing at a time.

That is a not true thing that people will say to invalidate your opinion. But you do need to maybe put some work into Led Zeppelin, I promise they're amazing. Maybe starting with the later stuff was a misstep for you? The elevator music comment makes me think you should start from I or II and move forward.

Sanagi
08-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Being musically trained gives you a different and deeper perspective on music, but I'd say all you need to understand it on a basic, non-nerdy level is a decent sense of rhythm.

Also, it is possible to just not be into Zeppelin.

Vega
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I've finished listening to all the Sound Opinions episodes that looked interesting to me, about half of them, and taken eight pages of notes. I'll use these notes to borrow lots of CDs, attend some concerts, and converse semi-knowledgeably with new friends about music. In some ways, the past two months have been my happiest in seven years. A new world is opening before me! I owe Sound Opinions a hefty donation for their work.

It wasn't the podcast alone that finally got me into music. I had to be in the right mood, the culmination of decades of resentment during which I noticed that of all the people I've ever known who enjoyed music, almost none of them needed that music to come from a video game or anime soundtrack to be able to enjoy it. I'm one of the very few people I've known who's needed that crutch, and I'm tremendously relieved to not need it anymore. Oh, it's still fine if visual media have great soundtracks, but I no longer need to huddle around them as if they're the only way I can enjoy music. For all of my life until now that's what I did, and thank god that era is over.

A few other observations:

Greg and Jim sound kind of like Jeremy Parish and Chris Kohler. If NPR ever wanted to run a radio show about video games, would you two be interested in hosting it?

Jim and Greg seem to have lost some steam this year. After 400 episodes I don't blame them, but does this mean Sound Opinions' best years are behind it?

I'm going to be listening to a lot of other music before I get back to Led Zeppelin, so be patient with me.

TK Flash
08-26-2013, 09:59 PM
The guys in Zepp were ungodly good at their instruments, so if you have the chance to spend some time with an instrument or someone who plays one, maybe it will give you a frame of reference and help you appreciate it more. Also, the number of tricks their drummer had in his sleeve to make the same rhythm sound completely different was truly amazing.

I personally don't like the blues songs, just like with every other album from that era. I like rock and blues rock, but nothing straight blues.

Also, if they don't sound heavy to you, you might try a few of their live recordings.

Also: Finest tool for finding new music is Tyrant Radio. Hop onto IRC periodically and ask for people to join you

TK Flash
08-26-2013, 10:04 PM
What Black Sabbath songs did you like?

Vega
08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
From Black Sabbath I bought Greatest Hits 1970-1978 and The Dio Years. I generally liked both of them with no particular favorites yet.

TK Flash
08-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Dio Years is missing the excellent Sign of the Southern Cross. He was only around for like two albums so condensing the best of those to one CD is a great deal.

Ozzy was around for six classic albums in a row, plus two crappy ones. My personal favorite is Volume 4. Two and three would be Master of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. You can cover your eyes and throw a dart at their first six and hit a great album no matter what tho

valhalladeath
08-31-2013, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to plug my brother's podcast. It is the companion to his blog, www.bdwps.com. Both are indie music focused. Podcast here (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bdwps-podcast/id505889581).

Vega
08-31-2013, 09:13 AM
I searched this forum for posts about instrumental music and noted a bunch of interesting sounding bands and albums. I'd like to have a bunch of music to listen to while reading that doesn't distract me with lyrics. I know soundtracks usually do the trick, but I'd like to be able to get great instrumental music from anywhere and not rely on games, TV or movies for them. Unfortunately, my local library system doesn't have a lot of what you guys recommended.

I have reserved the following albums at the library from all my different notes:

Further Down the Spiral (Nine Inch Nails), Guns n' Roses greatest hits, Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols, The Slip (NIN), Sound of Silver (LCD Soundsystem), This is Happening (LCDS), With Teeth (NIN), The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place (Explosions in the Sky), Love Sensuality Devotion (Enigma), Pure Moods III and IV (various artists), Small Craft on a Milk Sea (Brian Eno), Take Care Take Care Take Care (EitS), Turn of the Tides (Tangerine Dream), The Archies 20 greatest hits (yes, I'm having a quick taste of bubblegum)

I've also reserved the book "The Nasty Bits" by chef Anthony Bourdain. On Sound Opinions I think he said it has a part about the relationship between music and food.

shramoon
09-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Holy crap, those explosions in the sky albums you've reserved are EXCELLENT. I'm totally a word guy, but take care take care take care and the earth is not a cold dead place are so memorable and beautiful.

(Brb going to listen to eits right now)

Sanagi
06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
To answer an old question, Song Exploder. (http://songexploder.net/episodes)

Falselogic
06-18-2016, 03:25 AM
To answer an old question, Song Exploder. (http://songexploder.net/episodes)

Yes! Song Exploder is great. I a great intro to the podcast is this interview with John Roderick of the Lonely Winters breaking down their song, The Commander Thinks Aloud (http://songexploder.net/the-long-winters).