PDA

View Full Version : The Final Battle: MILK

Alixsar
07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Milk is good. Everyone likes it except lactose intolerant people, and even then, they make pills just so those people can be like AWW YEAH MILK. Milk's the best.

But there's different milks. There's disgusting milk, 2%, 1%, and Best Milk. There's also soy/almond/rice/whatever milk, which isn't really milk now is it...but it's good.

So what's your favorite milk? We need to settle this now, immediately. Answers, as always, will be public so we know which of you fuckers drink actual milk and which of you buy whole milk and are the worst people imaginable. Seriously, just buy cheese; you won't notice the difference.

Falselogic
07-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Raised on Best Milk, and I still thought it had too much flavor. 2% is too much milk for me.

I drink soy milk now anyway...

Torgo
07-26-2013, 05:19 PM
True fact: Grind up white chalk and pour it in water. Tell the dupes that it's skim milk and they won't know the difference.

Alixsar
07-26-2013, 05:20 PM
I was raised on 2%, and then I went through a phase where I didn't drink a lot of milk. When I went back to it I...I mean, there just was no going back to it. It tastes like fat. I can handle it in coffee (I mostly just drink it black though) but that's it. Drinking 2% straight is just kind of gross. I can't deal with it; it just tastes off. Whole milk is right out; it literally tastes like cheese to me, though I concede it's necessity for baking. 1% is okay but come on just commit and go skim. Soy etc. are good too but it's so different that my brain doesn't file it in the same category, you know?

Adam
07-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I like the spanish word for milk, because "leche" is a good description of how it tastes.

Octopus Prime
07-26-2013, 05:24 PM
You know what we used to call people who drink Skim Milk?

Nothing. I do not associate with that kind of degenerate!

Guild
07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
2% ALL DAY
~~and tha haters gonna hate~~

Torgo
07-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Whole milk is right out... though I concede it's necessity for baking.
If we can at least find the middle ground here, we're cool.

I'm pretty much the opposite: I was raised mostly on 2% and graduated to whole later on. Now anything less tastes like so much white water. It's tepid and flavorless and I really just don't get the point.

Guesty
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
I try to drink whole milk or 2% if I can because I'm trying to bulk up and gain weight. Anything less won't be optimal for my weight gain goals, so there's not much of a point of drinking skim (also skim basically tastes like weird water to me).

Pajaro Pete
alixsar i love you but dawg skim milk is Not Ok.

Falselogic
If we can at least find the middle ground here, we're cool.

I'm pretty much the opposite: I was raised mostly on 2% and graduated to whole later on. Now anything less tastes like so much white water. It's tepid and flavorless and I really just don't get the point.

Whole milk is great for baking and such and my love of cheese has no end... I just can't drink whole milk without gagging...

TOO MUCH MILKINESS

R^2
07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
The two things I hate the most in the world are liars and skim milk, the latter because it is water that is lying about being milk.

mopinks
07-26-2013, 05:35 PM
I can't believe there are people who don't like whole milk

you are hollow and empty, just like the milk you drink

shivam
07-26-2013, 05:36 PM
the survey is broken, it seems to be in reverse order.

Dawnswalker
07-26-2013, 05:44 PM
You concede that whole milk is the best milk for baking, but then you say that you only drink skim? If you cut skim milk out of your life, you'd have more room in your fridge for cake, that's all I'm saying.

Wolfgang
07-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Whole milk is pretty good on cereal and in coffee, but if I want a Glass of Milk, then skim is best. Sorry!

Mogri
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
I drink way too much milk to drink whole milk.

Droewyn
07-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Whole milk is the only milk.

When I was a kid and got sent to day care the first time I couldn't understand what this white water they were serving us was. I knew it wasn't milk. I managed to convince five or six of the other kids that they were attempting to poison us before someone got around to explaining the difference.

SpoonyBardOL
I was raised on 2%, then during my undergrad I got Skim all the time at the dining hall.

Now I honestly don't like either. 2% is too fatty, while Skim is just... nothing. So I stick with 1%.

Though the only milk I use now is for my morning cereal, and whatever I need for cooking. Otherwise I don't really drink 'a glass of milk' anymore.

krelbel
I drink 2% and I'm not sure what that says about me. I was raised on it and when I'm just drinking a glass of milk it's the only thing that will do. I'm much more forgiving when it comes to oatmeal or cereal, though, for which anything from whole to skim will work just fine.

Also: I've eaten a lot of exotic things in my life so far, and consider myself quite the adventurous eater indeed, but I have never and will never try almond/soy/rice/other assorted hippie milks.

Or kombucha.

shivam
07-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Our whole milk here in cali is only 6% milkfat. at lunch in the schools i taught in in Japan, their standard bottle of milk was 8%. it was fucking GLORIOUS. Like drinking cream.

To be honest, i prefer water buffalo milk over cow's milk anyway, but that's hard to come by in the states.

Dawnswalker
07-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Almond milk is actually not half bad. I would still pick cow milk each and every time if given the choice, but if it were down to almond milk or crab juice, I know what I'm picking.

Mogri
07-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Chocolate almond milk is delicious.

Umby
07-26-2013, 06:05 PM
True fact: Grind up white chalk and pour it in water. Tell the dupes that it's skim milk and they won't know the difference.

Torgo, I don't know if we can be friends anymore.

Behemoth
07-26-2013, 06:17 PM
alixsar i like you as a friend you but dawg skim milk is Not Ok.

Elements
07-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Whole milk all the way. Anything else tastes watered down. I've had soy quite a few times, and actually like the flavor okay, but I'll stick with the real deal, thank you. Milk regularly serves as my go-to stomach settler.

Eirikr
07-26-2013, 06:27 PM
This Japanese milk I'm drinking right this second is totally beyond regular whole milk and it tastes like heaven. scru u alix

Alixsar
07-26-2013, 06:34 PM
You concede that whole milk is the best milk for baking, but then you say that you only drink skim? If you cut skim milk out of your life, you'd have more room in your fridge for cake, that's all I'm saying.

I also don't bake so there's that.

Whole milk is pretty good on cereal and in coffee, but if I want a Glass of Milk, then skim is best. Sorry!

I knew I could count on you, buddy.

I'm surprised by how many people actually drink whole milk. Growing up I thought it was like heavy cream or buttermilk; a dairy product that exists for just for baking. But people actually drink it!? How?! It's so thick and gross.

Eirikr
07-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Growing up I thought it was like heavy cream or buttermilk; a dairy product that exists for just for baking. But people actually drink it!? How?! It's so thick and gross.

Since I was little and to this day, I will drink the little packs of half and half that you get at restaurants. It's like sweet ambrosia!

RoyalApe
07-26-2013, 06:55 PM
the survey is broken, it seems to be in reverse order.

You are correct sir.

RoyalApe
07-26-2013, 06:56 PM

And you would be ruining the cake by putting it in he fridge.

Rascally Badger
07-26-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't understand. People drink skim milk by choice? Not because that is all you terrible aunt has in her fridge besides cottage cheese?

gahitsu
07-26-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't understand. People drink skim milk by choice? Not because that is all you terrible aunt has in her fridge besides cottage cheese?

For reals, yo.

Isrieri
07-26-2013, 08:26 PM
2% builds strong bones and teeth and is clearly the best.

Skim Milk is second best. It only truly tastes good while in humid climates.

Zef
07-26-2013, 08:51 PM
I drink way too much milk to drink whole milk.

ajr82
07-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Alixsar is in the right on this.

Also, milk is the official state beverage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_beverages) of Arkansas, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming.

My favourite thing on that page is that the Official State Beverage of Indiana is Water.

Pajaro Pete
07-26-2013, 09:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/V3YY16O.jpg

reminder that the swanson pyramid of greatness says to avoid skim milk twice, because avoiding skim milk is that important

Heron
07-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I'd drink whole more often if I could, and I'd love it if there was pasteurized milk instead of all of it being flash-pasteurized, since flash gets rid of most of the flavor. I'm with Shivam on this. I had an ice cold glass of milk with curry rice in Japan once and it was the best tasting milk I ever had.

What I'm saying is, skim milk is like lite beer, just ain't right.

Isrieri
07-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Also, milk is the official state beverage of Arkansas, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming.

Ohio = Tomato Juice

that's a lie

no one here drinks tomato juice

we drink our own manly tears

Wolfgang
07-26-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm surprised by how many people actually drink whole milk. Growing up I thought it was like heavy cream or buttermilk; a dairy product that exists for just for baking. But people actually drink it!? How?! It's so thick and gross.

Whole milk warms to room temperature faster than skim milk. I don't know if it's the fat content or what, and it can never get as cold and crisp as skim. So it's always in a state of semi- or total grossness.

Rufferto
07-26-2013, 10:04 PM
There's nothing inherently wrong with whole milk. The real problem is you've all been drinking fundamentally altered milk. Drink a glass of raw milk from grass fed Jersey cows with the cream floating on top and you'll understand just how good whole milk can be.

good enough to make the oncoming case of brucellosis almost worth it

taosterman
07-27-2013, 01:29 AM
The dissonance between someone being passionate enough about milk to make a milk poll but also being a champion of skim milk is just too much.

Rascally Badger
07-27-2013, 01:41 AM
I like milk, I just don't like the flavor or milkiness of it.

Paul le Fou
07-27-2013, 03:06 AM
I'm lactose intolerant, so I only drink milk in America where I have lactaid. If I can I go for 2%. Although I think I've lost the taste - and the space in my diet - for milk. I don't miss it.

I drink soymilk here, but actually I drink this coffee-flavored malted soymilk... thing. It's delicious, and goes well in all the other contexts I'd use it in as well - oatmeal, protein shakes, that's it really.

but yeah, try milk in Japan. The lowest you find unless it's like special low-fat milk is like 3-4%. Skim is for people who drink too much milk.

Also: I've eaten a lot of exotic things in my life so far, and consider myself quite the adventurous eater indeed, but I have never and will never try almond/soy/rice/other assorted hippie milks.

...what? that's dumb. it's fucking nonsense, is what it is.

krelbel
07-27-2013, 03:18 AM
And yet.

Oh, and drinking milk must be as cold as possible. After it's been out of the fridge for even just 5 minutes, it becomes utterly repulsive & gag-inducing.

madhair60
07-27-2013, 04:06 AM
I think he was a great man who did a huge amount for civil rights.

Pombar
07-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Semi-skimmed in the UK is like... 1.5% or so. The best milk of all. Perfect balance of not being water like skimmed and not being liquid lard like whole.

R^2
07-27-2013, 08:16 AM
the dissonance between someone being passionate enough about milk to make a milk poll but also being a champion of skim milk is just too much.

qft.

Wolfgang
07-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Quick question: when are people going to get mad and pedantic over some inconsequential thing and make this thread flare up into a giant hateful argument where people's feelings get hurt, I know we as a group are more than capable

Octopus Prime
07-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Of course you'd want to destroy everything. You enjoy Skim Milk, for Gods sake!

Falselogic
07-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Quick question: when are people going to get mad and pedantic over some inconsequential thing and make this thread flare up into a giant hateful argument where people's feelings get hurt, I know we as a group are more than capable

Never Wolfgang. Because we love each other here and want to support each other

Falselogic
07-27-2013, 09:15 AM
And yet.

Oh, and drinking milk must be as cold as possible. After it's been out of the fridge for even just 5 minutes, it becomes utterly repulsive & gag-inducing.

Regardless of the type of milk too! The colder the milk is the less you can taste it! Which is why if the milk is frozen I can eat it (also full of sugar...)

Büge
07-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Another reason not to drink it at all.

Personally, I've often wondered what yak butter is like.

taosterman
07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
This thread needs options for Malk and authentic Bulgarian Miak.

http://i.imgur.com/hiLdD50.png

juanfrugalj
07-27-2013, 02:45 PM
A glance at our milk cartons reveals this is an almost-2% household. Skim tastes just so watery to me.

I've drank whole milk, delivered by farmers riding horses straight to my grandmother's doorstep, so I'm qualified say that stuff packs a punch.

Kfroog
07-27-2013, 04:28 PM
at lunch in the schools i taught in in Japan, their standard bottle of milk was 8%. it was fucking GLORIOUS. Like drinking cream.

I would literally vomit.

Alixsar
07-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Whole milk warms to room temperature faster than skim milk. I don't know if it's the fat content or what, and it can never get as cold and crisp as skim. So it's always in a state of semi- or total grossness.

Correct. I love you Shawn let's run away together

The dissonance between someone being passionate enough about milk to make a milk poll but also being a champion of skim milk is just too much.

But...but it's the best milk! :(

Also, I drank some milk just now, and the date was fine and it tasted fine but then there were chunky bits at the bottom and I spit it all out and now I feel kind of weird. Not because I actually feel weird but because I'm like WTF MAN UGHHHH. So I think we can all agree that bad milk is bad, right?

Psyael
07-27-2013, 08:29 PM
You guys must be short and brittle to hate milk so much.

Daikaiju
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I mainly drink 2% but I do like a glass of whole on occasion.

Healy
07-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Whole milk is okay, and it's what we have at home so it's what I drink most of the time, but sometimes it's rather hard for me to choke down, which is when I spring for skim.

Issun
07-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Buttermilk is best milk you pansies.

Heron
07-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Just drink it straight out of the carton at the fridge.

shivam
07-28-2013, 12:01 AM
the best milk is steaming hot straight from the animal. Second best is steaming hot from a microwave.

Mogri
07-28-2013, 01:04 AM
the best milk is steaming hot straight from the animal. Second best is steaming hot from a microwave.

Now shivam has stopped being subtle with his trolling.

juanfrugalj
07-28-2013, 02:25 AM
Now shivam has stopped being subtle with his trolling.

Well, it does have certain charm to it, like I said earlier.

EDIT: Wait, straight from the animal? That's just hazardous.

shivam
07-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Well, it does have certain charm to it, like I said earlier.

EDIT: Wait, straight from the animal? That's just hazardous.

i have spent a lot of time in india. milk there comes in bags, delivered to your door by the farmer who milked it himself that hour. Again, its more often buffalo milk, but yeah.

i really don't get you guys needing frozen milk. if you want it so fucking cold, eat ice cream or something.

Büge
07-28-2013, 07:21 AM
i really don't get you guys needing frozen milk. if you want it so fucking cold, eat ice cream or something.

It's because they know milk is bad for them, but they try to convince themselves otherwise.

juanfrugalj
07-28-2013, 08:31 AM
i have spent a lot of time in india. milk there comes in bags, delivered to your door by the farmer who milked it himself that hour. Again, its more often buffalo milk, but yeah.

Ah, and then you boil it and what have you. Yeah, same thing here. They use cans, though.

Alixsar
07-28-2013, 11:19 AM

You boil it after, right? Because drinking milk straight from a cow is dangerous, unless if you know the farmer and are intimately familiar with how they run their farm/milk their cows...and even then it's a gamble.

taosterman
07-28-2013, 11:39 AM
But...but it's the best milk! :(

I'm a member of the 1% team, so apparently the numbers show I'm even more of a freak. I just need that little teensy percent of fat in my milk. GIMME THAT FAT

Mightyblue
07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
No mention of lactose-free milk (or also with added lactase, most times) for us lactose intolerant people who are also allergic to tree nuts and think soy is for dirty hippies?

Octopus Prime
07-28-2013, 12:32 PM
My store doesn't even carry wee bottles of 1% milk for me to enjoy on my breaks. I have to buy two percent and I'm all "Who do you think I am, Fatty Arbuckle?"

And nobody understands because he wasn't a particularly well known actor in the early parts of the twenty-first century. Some think I'm talking about Garfield, and I get a bit confused by the leaps involved there.

Lady
07-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Did you know you can just buy whole milk and mix in some water and then you basically made your own skim milk?

so whole milk is more versatile!

I like almond milk with my cereal, but I keep a small carton of cow's milk on hand for drinking and cooking. usually 2% to balance taste with caloric content.

Wolfgang
07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Soy milk in cereal isn't bad. That is all. Pretty much every milk or milklike product is good on cereal. Ever have half and half on cereal? Amazing.

Though I found out a tip this weekend. When you put milk in your cereal... Mix a little coffee in it. Your mind will be blown.

TheSL
07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
I always gag when I try to drink milk. I mostly just use it in cooking.

taosterman
07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Soy milk in cereal isn't bad. That is all. Pretty much every milk or milklike product is good on cereal. Ever have half and half on cereal? Amazing.

Once at the office I didn't have milk for my cereal so I figured, what the hell, I'll pour in my cup of coffee with artificial creamer.

This may seem obvious, but don't do what I did.

Mogri
07-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Did you know you can just buy whole milk and mix in some water and then you basically made your own skim milk?

I found the problem, guys. People don't even know what skim milk is.

Red Hedgehog
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Ah ha! I've finally found a food opinion about which you are wrong!

(Soy and Almond milks are good, Rice milk is okay, hemp milk is disgusting)

Wolfgang
07-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Once at the office I didn't have milk for my cereal so I figured, what the hell, I'll pour in my cup of coffee with artificial creamer.

This is the exception to the rule.

Alixsar
07-29-2013, 01:12 PM
So so so so so sooooooo many people buy Coffeemate and shit like that at work. It's ridiculous. It's not coffee anymore if you put TUTTI FRUTTI VANILLA BANANMANA ESPRESSO BATTLE flavor into it. Why don't you just sprink some jelly beans in there instead?

Also, milk is amazing in black tea. SKIM milk. Otherwise it makes the tea taste like fat because there's fat in it and you're all like EWW WHATS THIS IS THIS FAT IN THIS. It's milk, is what it is. GROSS milk full of bad.

Wolfgang
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
I know this isn't Coffeedome, but flavored coffee is pretty rad. IT IS SPOKEN

Isrieri
07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Also, milk is amazing in black tea. SKIM milk. Otherwise it makes the tea taste like fat because there's fat in it and you're all like EWW WHATS THIS IS THIS FAT IN THIS. It's milk, is what it is. GROSS milk full of bad.

This is nonsense. Black Tea with whole milk is delicious. If you pour more than a tablespoon into the tea that's your own misfortune.

mopinks
07-29-2013, 01:53 PM
flavored coffee is fantastic

coffee mate is oily vomit

Lady
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM

I don't get it

Teaspoon
07-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Has anyone ever tried coffee milk? Far less cloying than chocolate milk, but still pleasantly flavoured.

Wolfgang
07-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Has anyone ever tried coffee milk?

That's a New England tradition boy

if you ever find yourself in Rhode Island, and every person ISN'T trying to push a glass onto you, THAT'S how you know there's a problem. That or the cthulhus*.

These are the ingredients for making coffee milk: a glass of milk, a bottle of coffee milk syrup, and a small measuring cup filled with coffee milk syrup.

One well-known brand of coffee syrup is "Autocrat"

which is only allowed to be drank by Rhode Island's most powerful emperors, who refuse RI's other famous brand, "Ogliarch"

Nodal
07-30-2013, 03:17 AM
You can actually only repel the cthulhus with coffee milk. This is learned by every schoolkid here.

R^2
07-30-2013, 06:50 AM

Holstein milk is about 3.5% milkfat by volume. In processing, all of it is removed and homogenized. For whole milk, enough is put back to bring the percentage up to around 3.5 again. For 2% and 1%, duh. For skim, none is put back.

While researching this I found that skim milk was originally manufactured for hog feed. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, skim milk fans.

Wolfgang
07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Skim is neck and neck for first place, which is surprising. I would have thought that it would be the clear loser, as it's not "genuine" or "legitimate" enough for Internet People, but I guess the flipside to that is a lot of internet people are overweight and like having an easy way of avoiding fat and calories

I AM SAYING TERRIBLE THINGS TO GET A REACTION, AND WOULD APPRECIATE ONE OR TWO TOKEN OFFENDED GASPS PLEASE

Teaspoon
07-30-2013, 09:29 AM
*gasp*

(I'm just amused that we've apparently confirmed the milk distributors are correct to have several different kinds, because people like different things.

Though if anyone would like to explain why people do drink 1% instead of either skim or 2, I'd be interested to hear it.)

Falselogic
07-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Skim is neck and neck for first place, which is surprising. I would have thought that it would be the clear loser, as it's not "genuine" or "legitimate" enough for Internet People, but I guess the flipside to that is a lot of internet people are overweight and like having an easy way of avoiding fat and calories

I AM SAYING TERRIBLE THINGS TO GET A REACTION, AND WOULD APPRECIATE ONE OR TWO TOKEN OFFENDED GASPS PLEASE

*faints*

cortbassist89
07-30-2013, 09:43 AM
I prefer whole milk, but my body hates it, so soy milk got my vote.

Derra
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Our whole milk here in cali is only 6% milkfat. at lunch in the schools i taught in in Japan, their standard bottle of milk was 8%. it was fucking GLORIOUS. Like drinking cream.

Chill it in the freezer so it is just starting to freeze.

DELICIOUS

Lakupo
07-30-2013, 11:25 AM
You boil it after, right? Because drinking milk straight from a cow is dangerous, unless if you know the farmer and are intimately familiar with how they run their farm/milk their cows...and even then it's a gamble.
I feel like raw milk proponents would disagree with part of that. Not that I'm not one of them, but they would!

I'm one of those few people that can eat cereal with way off the mark alternatives like apple juice, but that just sounds wrooooong.

The other way around can be fun though, sometimes in the morning I'll pour leftover milk from my cereal (usually cheerios these days) into my tea. Extra flavor!

Mogri
07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't get it

Skim milk is not watered-down whole milk. Skim milk is whole milk minus the fat.

It would actually be more accurate to say, "Did you know you can just buy skim milk and mix in some butter and then you basically made your own whole milk?"

Wolfgang
07-30-2013, 12:05 PM
I feel like raw milk proponents would disagree with part of that. Not that I'm not one of them, but they would!

Raw milk advocates can go eff themselves (http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2012/09/is-raw-milk-safe-e-coli)

Lakupo
07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Fans of raw milk—who tend to defend the stuff with near-religious fervor—often claim people get sick because they're not used to the "good" bacteria it contains.
It's like "detoxing"!

'course, I'm paranoid enough about the freshness of pasteurized milk, I'd probably freak about raw milk. I once inadvertently took a swig of sour chocolate milk from the fridge once. I sometimes still have flashbacks about that flavor.

mopinks
07-30-2013, 02:24 PM
how good is BUTTERMILK, though

mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lady
07-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Skim milk is not watered-down whole milk. Skim milk is whole milk minus the fat.

It would actually be more accurate to say, "Did you know you can just buy skim milk and mix in some butter and then you basically made your own whole milk?"

by adding water you're reducing the relative percentage of fat and protein and sugar etc etc shaddap

Wolfgang
07-30-2013, 08:24 PM
CRUEL IRONY! On the way back from picking up dinner we stopped at the convenience store to get milk and they ONLY HAD WHOLE!!!!! But it's still good on cereal and coffee, so.

Shagohod
07-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I prefer whole milk, but my body hates it, so soy milk got my vote.

Lactase pills, mang. They work wonders.

cortbassist89
07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Lactase pills, mang. They work wonders.
Eventually I need to consult my doctor about if there's any easy way to see if I'm lactose-intolerant or if it's just another part of my IBS. I know dairy can be an ibs trigger too. Laziness I guess on my part for not having checked so far.

I'd be all over some magic pills that let me eat cereal without consequence.

Mogri
08-01-2013, 02:51 PM
by adding water you're reducing the relative percentage of fat and protein and sugar etc etc shaddap

You're also reducing the relative percentage of milk...

Lady
08-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, that is what fats, proteins, sugars et al are.

Paul le Fou
08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
What IS milk? A miserable little pile of fats, proteins, and sugars! But enough yogurt, have at you!

Alixsar
08-04-2013, 11:57 PM

You're right that they probably would, but they're wrong and are going to get brucellosis someday and be somehow surprised about it and rationalize it with some horseshit.

juanfrugalj
08-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah, you have to boil it.

Ryonin
08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
What gets me is when I'm looking at websites selling yogurt cultures, where all the recipes state that you have to heat it to kill the competitive microbes, people ask if you can do it with raw milk.

People do not know what pasteurization is, I guess. :toastybert:

I like whole milk with cookies. But for straight drinking I prefer 1% or 2%.

WisteriaHysteria
08-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I do whole milk. I will drink other types of milk when presented with them, but I will NOT enjoy it. Whole milk just tastes so good. If you're on a diet or something, I get it. But I'm not. In fact, I could stand to gain weight. Whole milk is my best friend.

Alixsar
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
People do not know what pasteurization is, I guess. :toastybert:

I think that's part of it, yeah. WHAT IS BACETRIAA?!

Grignr
08-07-2013, 06:29 AM
This is one of those early marriage things where it turns out she was raised on skim and he was raised on 2% so they compromise and drink skim. Also mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip, but she doesn't even eat mayonnaise that much anyway so what was the point. Granted it's what they have in all the sub shops so might as well get used to it.

That aside, like changing your toothpaste flavor, it's not that hard to adapt after a few weeks and less fat is obviously healthier and if you're just putting it in tea or something you don't really notice anyway.

I do buy a Whole Milk chug when I'm making clam chowder or hot chocolate or something.

I only use buttermilk to activate my baking soda but it looks chunky and must be acidic to work, so I haven't actually drank it straight.

Lady
08-07-2013, 08:21 AM
You can just buy two tubes of toothpaste, or do you share deodorant, too? ;)

Heron
08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Girls don't sweat and don't use deodorant.

Daikaiju
08-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I grew up drinking powdered aka D-I-Y Skim. I would drink whole milk at any chance I got. Still do. I'm NEVER going back to skim.

Scypho
08-07-2013, 11:52 PM
2% ALL DAY
~~and tha haters gonna hate~~

Honestly I feel like this was all that needed to be said

I do actually like the taste of almond milk a lot more than cow milk, but every time I've attempted to ingest it I've gotten a wicked stomach ache.

edit:
that's a lie

no one here drinks tomato juice

we drink our own manly tears

Willing to testify.

RoyalApe
08-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I do actually like the taste of almond milk a lot more than cow milk....

How do you milk an almond? I don't see a teet anywhere.

Inactive Blacksmith
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
One time most of the milk in jug was frozen into a solid block and I poured a glass of the remaining unfrozen milk. It was sweet, cold and the best milk I ever had.

Not sure what it was exactly, but it was definitely most of the good stuff. Because when the milk unfroze, it was bland and watery.

Teaspoon
08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Well, that would be because the water component of the milk would have frozen into an ice cube, leaving behind the sweet cream. Much like the old practice of leaving a bowl of milk out overnight so that you could skim off the cream in the morning.

So basically, you drank a cup of cream and then a cup of water.

Ryonin
08-14-2013, 10:38 PM
This is one of those things. The human body craves high energy foods. Some people more than others. I love whole milk, but I've stopped drinking it straight. Great for making yogurt.

Almond (or any other nut milk) is usually made by soaking the nut in question in water then blending and straining it. I'm quite curious to try cashew milk. Almond milk is great. especially in baking. It was supposedly used more in medieval times since almonds kept for much longer than milk. Much like olive oil was used where we now think of butter being used in a lot of baking.