PDA

View Full Version : Locked in a Battle with a Gang of Radioactive Mutants! Let's Read Blaster Master

Loki
08-03-2013, 12:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wcsO9kr.jpg

A novel based on the best-selling game
by SUNSOFT

Created by F.X. Nine
Written by A. L. Singer
A Seth Godin Production

This book is not authorized, sponsored, or endorsed
by Nintendo of America Inc.

http://i.imgur.com/HaWgjla.jpg

No part of this publication may be reproduced in whole or in part, or stored in a retriveal system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, withough writen permission of the publisher.

ISBN 0-590-43778-X

Copyright 1990 by Seth Godin Productions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Published by Scholastic Inc.

Printed in the U.S.A.

Oh is it this time again is it? It is. This book is notable amongst the Worlds of Power for being adopted as cannon. That's rather surprising, considering how these things go. Anyway, this one's about a boy and his tank, a subject dear to my heart. Shall we get started?

Chapter 1

Wreeeeek! Jason Frontnik stood outside the black door. Grey, steamy clouds whirled around his feet. He felt as if here were floating. Breeeeeeeeeek! There it was again! The sound was driving him crazy. Something was behind that door. All he had to do was reach out and turn the knob. But a voice inside him said, “Run away! Run away or you’ll be sorry!”

Instead, he took a step forward. He couldn’t stop himself. His fingertips stretched towards the knob, but he yanked them away. It was turn back now, or… Wreeeeeek! That did it! He couldn’t stand it any longer. He had to find out what was making that noise.

Plunging forward, he gripped the knob. It stuck to his hand. The frozen slime stuck to his fingers. He turned it. In the night’s stillness, the click of the knob sounded like a gunshot. With a deafening creak, the door opened.
Inside the room it was black. Inky black. The black of the deepest spot of the universe: beyond stars, beyond light. Cold fear shot through Jason. His blood turned to ice. He pealed his hand off of the knob. He wanted to turn and run, but his legs moved him into the room. The darkness swallowed him. He looked around. Nothing there. That noise must have been his imagination.

“Okay, it’s time to-“ Wreeeeeek! Before he could move again, he saw it! It appeared in a blinding flash of light! Jason shielded his eyes, he couldn’t see its shape, but he could tell one thing. It was huge. The size of a house. The size of a Tyrannosaurus back from extinction. Jason felt like an ant, like a crumb. He knew he had to look at it. He had to see the-the-the thing that was about to destroy him. The light was forcing its way into the tightly shut eyes. And he opened them, slowly, into tiny slits. And what he saw made his jaw drop open in shock. He choked back a scream. It-it-it couldn’t be! It, it was… No! He couldn’t even think of it! It was… It was…

What? What?!

We'll find out tomorrow. See ya then!

Octopus Prime
08-03-2013, 04:10 AM
I am already gripped by the narrative presented!

Prinnydood
08-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Are you sure this isn't actually a Goosebumps book?

Büge
08-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Oh is it this time again is it? It is. This book is notable amongst the Worlds of Power for being adopted as cannon. That's rather surprising, considering how these things go.

Not really, considering how the story as presented in the game was

Boy has frog
Boy chases frog
Frog jumps on box
Frog gets big
Frog goes down hole
Boy chases frog down hole
Tank in the hole

Excitemike
08-03-2013, 07:52 AM
That's a fairly complex plot for an NES game.

Loki
08-03-2013, 08:00 AM
And considering that the original plot for the game was

Evil empire invades planet
Scientists escape empire
Scientists build tank
Boy pilots tank in counterattack

It's kinda super strange that Sunsoft would choose an American kid's novel with all that frog nonsense as the offical background for the sequel.

Octopus Prime
08-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Strange and yet beautiful. Like the liquid movements of an octopus, or the light of the aurora, Blaster Master is.

Loki
08-04-2013, 12:13 AM
What could possibly be behind that door? I hope you're as excited as I am to find out.

Chapter 2

Thud! Jason fell to the floor. His bed wasn’t that high, so it didn’t hurt that much. Still, it was enough to wake him. He pulled himself out of the tangled sheets.

“Oh, it was a dream,” he said to himself. “Only a dream.” He felt his heart beating a mile a minute, and he couldn’t help but to smile with relief. “Thank goodness things like that never happen in real life.”

Breeeeeeeeeeek! Jason’s breath caught in his throat. The sound was real. It was coming from the box that Fred lived in. Fred was Jason’s pet frog, but this didn’t sound like Fred. Fred’s “voice” sounded more like a ribbit, most of the time. Sometimes, when it got excited, it went “ribbeet, ribbeet.” But never Breeeeeeeeeeeek!

“Fred?” Jason called out timidly. The morning sun was filtering through his blinds, casting stripes of light on the bed and the floor. It shown through the huge glass box on the table across the room, the home he had made for Fred. In the angle of the sun-rays, Fred’s shadow was a dark, mutant, giant. “Wh-wh-was that you, Fred?” Jason asked. Before he could even finish the question, Fred began to jump. Breeeeeeeeeeeeek! Breeeeeeeeeeeeek! Breeeeeeeeeeeeek! He was frantic. He was trying to leap out. Jason couldn’t believe his eyes. “Fred, what’s the matter? Is there something wrong?” Fred began flinging himself against the glass, away from Jason and towards the window.

“Y-y-you want to go outside, little buddy?” Jason asked. Fred jumped up and down, continuing his strange shriek. It was, it was as if he understood Jason. Jason was flabbergasted. He knew Fred was smart, for a frog, but he had never shown signs of understanding English.

“Feed him, for goodness’ sakes!” came a groggy voice from down the hall. It was Mr. Frontnik, Jason’s father, trying to get his Saturday morning’s sleep.

“Okay, dad,” Jason shouted. But he knew Fred didn’t want to be fed. This was a stronger need, a need that would destroy Fred if it wasn’t fulfilled. Breeeeeeeeeeeeek! Things weren’t going to be too terrific for Jason either if he didn’t stop Fred from making that awful noise. But there was only one way to do that.

“Easy, pal,” Jason said. “I’ll take care of you.” He reached down, into the high glass box. From the bottom, the rich smell of mossy plants wafted upwards. Jason had always been proud of the home he had built and Fred had seemed to love it. That is, until now. Jason cupped his hand around the frog and lifted him out. As soon as he sat him down on the table Fred squirmed away and then jumped across the room. He landed on Jason’s blue carpet and hopped out of the half-opened door.

“Hey! Where you going?” Jason called out, but Fred was already down the hallway. Jason followed him downstairs. Fred hopped across the living room, right to the front door. Breeeeeeeeeeeeek! Jason shivered. What was making Fred act like this? He felt as if he were in his dream again. As if, something terrible would happen if he opened that door. “Wh-what is out there, little pal?” he said in a soft voice. Fred began jumping again, throwing himself against the door. His body made sharp thuds as he bounced back.

“Okay! Okay! I’ll let you out. I don’t want you to hurt yourself.” Jason opened the door. In one bound, Fred leaped over the entire porch. He landed on the front lawn, and in seconds was in the street. Jason had to run at top speed just to keep up, which wasn’t easy in his slippers.

All around them, the small town of Patachria, New York lay asleep. The lawns a little shaggy, Jason knew the mowers would be roaring in a few hours. It was a quiet small town by the ocean, and Jason liked it best on the days when the wind blew from the south. Then, you could smell the gentle, salty breezes. But when it blew from the east, the air had a stale, gassy smell from the near-by swamp. Jason always kept his distance from that swamp. Everybody did. It always seemed creepy and slimy, and some people claimed that part of it glowed at night. It wasn’t the kind of place you would ever really think about visiting. But it was exactly where Fred was headed!

“No! Not there!” Jason called out. “Come back!” Fred was way ahead, at the very end of Archer St. There were no houses there, just a cyclone fence. Beyond it, as far as the eye could see, was that very swamp. By now, Fred was a hopping silhouette in the orange glow of the rising sun. Through squinted eyes, Jason looked on in horror as Fred wriggled his way under the fence. He disappeared into the tall swamp grass, appearing again only at the top of each hop.

Leaping over the fence, Jason landed in the swamp and started to run. Actually, slogging was more like it. Before long, his slippers were stuck in the muck. Barefooted, he followed Fred into the area of bushes and scrawny trees. He pushed aside the spindly branches that whipped against his face. It was no use. Fred had vanished into the bushes. There was no way to find him now. “Fred” Jason was screaming now. This couldn’t have happened, not to Fred. Not his best friend. Not the pet that Jason had raised from a tadpole. Fred couldn’t possible survive in the swamp. “Fred! Where are you?

Jason’s answer came, but it wasn’t a frog sound, it was a low, sinister hum to his left. Jason pushed aside some thick, overgrown vines, and followed the noise. He came to another field. The grass there was plain, almost brown. It looked as if it had been scorched by the sun. There was a dull, sickly green glow in the middle of it. Jason cautiously approached. Soon, he could see where the glow came from: a strange metallic box that jutted out of the ground. On top of it was a small shadow that seemed to be growing. It was in the shape of a… of a… frog?

“There you are!” Jason shouted. “I thought I had lost-“ Jason cut himself off. He was sure he would recognize his pet anywhere. This had to be Fred, but the size was wrong. Fred wasn’t nearly that big. Maybe it was a trick of the rising sun or something. A reaction to the swamp grass. Jason rubbed his eyes again. When he opened them, Fred was the size of a cocker spaniel. His little chest was puffing out furiously as he breathed. And with each breath he grew bigger: the size of a wolf, a panther. Jason backed away. He opened his mouth to scream. No sound came out.

Slowly, the box on which Fred was sitting began to sink. And it was when the top of his swollen frog head that disappeared beneath the ground Jason thought he could see the look of fear and panic in his poor pet’s eyes.

Thrilling, thrilling stuff. For a rather economical opening in the game, Singer sure wasted a lot of words actualizing it. Damn kid is way too devoted to his stupid frog.

Anyway, have a

˙ƃuıllǝɔ ǝɥʇ uo ǝʌıɹp noʎ sʇǝl ㄥ lǝʌǝ˥ ˙sllɐʍ ǝɥʇ uo ʞlɐʍ noʎ sʇǝl 9 lǝʌǝ˥ ˙llǝq ƃuıʌıp ǝɥʇ noʎ suɹɐǝ ϛ lǝʌǝ˥ ˙ϛ lǝʌǝ˥ ɹoɟ ʎǝʞ ǝɥʇ noʎ suɹɐǝ ㄣ lǝʌǝ˥ ˙ɹǝʌoɥ ǝɥʇ noʎ suɹɐǝ Ɛ lǝʌǝ˥ ˙ɹǝɥsnɹɔ ǝɥʇ noʎ suɹɐǝ ᄅ lǝʌǝ˥

Brickroad
08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
God bless you, Loki.

Sanagi
08-04-2013, 12:56 AM
This is the only one I actually read as a kid. I was entertained.

Octopus Prime
08-04-2013, 07:25 AM
...isn't New York kind of far inland to have an ocean within smelling distance? And also a swamp also within smelling distance?

Büge
08-04-2013, 08:08 AM
That's strange. The book I had gave Jason's last name as "Frudnick" and the sounds that Fred made were "R-beeeeeeeeeeek!" Also, mine had a contest offer in it.

Different editions?

Loki
08-04-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm transcribing from audio and making my best guess.

Excitemike
08-04-2013, 08:23 AM
...isn't New York kind of far inland to have an ocean within smelling distance? And also a swamp also within smelling distance?

Could be on Long Island.

Büge
08-04-2013, 12:56 PM
transcribing from audio

:confused:

Loki
08-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Yesir.

Chapter 3

"Nooooooooooo!" Jason's desperate cry sliced through the morning air. The rising sun burned fircely in his eyes. He raced into the field, stumbling blindly in the grass. He had only taken a few frantic steps when he slipped. He stretched out his arm, but it wasn't enough. With a sudden WHOMP! he fell face-first into the mud. Springing to his feet, he brushed off his face enough to where he could see. Then he ran to the hole Fred had sunk into. When he got there, he stopped short. It was much bigger, and deeper than it had looked from a distance. A full-grown person could fit into this opening easily.

He squated by the edge and looked in. "Fred?" he called out. Freeed... Freeed... Freeed... was his answer, the echo of his own voice. Echo? Jason stared into the hole, which was the darkest, blackest thing he had ever seen. Like the black of his dream. How could there have been an echo? Dirt and mud would have absorbed sound, not bounced it back. Unless, there was something else down there besides dirt and mud.

Thoughts jumbled through Jason's mind. Should he call the police? No, they would just laugh. Should he get his parents? No, they would just tell him to get another frog. That left only one choice, and Jason knew it was crazy. But crazy problems needed crazy solutions, and Jason decided to do it. He jumped.

"Yeaaaaaa!" The scream tore from his lungs as he falling, falling, falling picked up speed as if it was a race to the center of the Earth. The darkness gulped him up, and he saw nothing below him. Swishhh! Suddenly, there was something underneith him. Something like the slide on a playground. The cold metal chute guided him on a sloping path downwards. At the end of the slide there was a shaft of dim light. He turned end over end, finally dropping though a hole.

With a painful thump, he landed on a hard, cold floor. As he stood up, his bare feet tingled with the cold. His breath came in small white puffs. A steady drip, drip, drip echoed off the polished granite walls. The glowing metal chest was nowhere to be seen. And neither was Fred.

Jason looked up to see the walls dissapearing high into the darkness. That was strange. The ceiling was pitch black, but the room glowed with the same bizarre greenish color as the chest. The light seemed to be coming from within the walls themselves. He turned around and saw tunnels leading in different directions. Fred must have gone into one of them, but which?

Psst! Jason's heart skipped a beat. The sudden hissing sound made him leap with fright. He spun around. There was something in front of him in that tunnel on the far right. He squinted against the glare of the walls. It was long, and low, and pulsated with a low rumbling sound. A vehicle of some sort.

Jason carefully walked closer. Suddenly, a winged door opened up on the driver's side. Jason froze. Out stepped a person. Actually, humanoid was more like it. It wore a shining bodysuit with a bubble helmet. And in its right hand, pointed straight at Jason, was a gleaming metal gun.

Dun dun dun. Let me ask, if we weren't all familiar with the game's opening, would any of this make sense to anyone?

Octopus Prime
08-05-2013, 04:44 AM
Being familiar with Blaster Masters narrative has never clarified anything.

Loki
08-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Chapter 4

Jason’s hands flew up over his head.

“I-I come in peace!” he blurted. The figure came closer, keeping a tight grip on the gun.

“Who are you? And what are you doing here?” said a voice from inside the helmet. It wasn’t the kind of alien voice that Jason had expected. For one thing, it was defiantly human. For another, it was defiantly female.

“M-My name is Jason Frudnick and I’m looking for my pet frog. I saw him sink into that hole, and…”

“You realize this is no place for humans.” Jason nodded vigorously.

“Yes! Yes, I agree! And I’ll be happy to leave as soon as I find Fred!”

“Fred?” The figure cocked its head to one side. “You do mean frog?”

“Fred is his name,” Jason said. The figure let out a high pitched giggle.

http://i.imgur.com/GfbRm9E.png

“You must forgive me. My mastery of your language is never yet complete.”

“I noticed.” She lowered her gun. With her other hand she pulled out from the vehicle a body suit identical to hers.

“Here, put it on. It will protect you from the cold… and the radiation.” Jason took the suit from her and began slipping it over his pajamas.

“Radiation?”

“Yes. How do you think these walls are eliminated?” Jason furrowed his brow.

“Ah, I think you mean ‘illuminated.’”

“I am apologized. Quickly! Come to Sophia IIIrd , my vehicle. You do not need your helmet inside.”

“Just a second,” Jason said. “I’ve told you who I am, now who are you?”

“My name is Yebsgplndxmkpsanru,” she said. “The closest equivalent name on this planet would be… Eve.”

“On this planet?!” Jason repeated. “Is this some kind of joke?”

“I do not see what the yellow center of an egg has to do with this.” Jason scratched his head.

“Oh! You mean “yolk!”

“Quickly!” Eve interrupted. “There is no time for small talking!” She jumped in. Jason pulled open the passenger door and hopped in after her. Eve took off her helmet, revealing a cascade of long red hair and a freckled face. She looked like a typical American teenager.

http://i.imgur.com/RTUUoPG.png

Jason’s head was brimming with questions. But before he could open his mouth, Eve looked at him sharply and said, “you must wear your shoulder harness.”

Obediently, Jason reached for the strap. His eyes swept across the high-tech control panel in front of him. There were about a dozen levers and buttons on it, each with its own label: gun, crusher, hyper, key, homing missiles, thunder break, multi-warhead missile, hover gage, dive gage, wall-climber, celling transport.

“What are these things?” Jason asked.

“Oh, those are the weapon controls.” Eve responded. “Can you not read the labels?”

“Of course I ca-weapons?! Hey, look, I’m just a normal kid from Long Island.”

“Prepare for acceleration.” Eve thrust her gear-shift downwards and Sophia the IIIrd took off. Not gradually, like a car, but with the force of a rocket. Jason felt his cheeks press backwards with the G-force, barring his teeth. There was a sonic explosion as Sophia the IIIrd shot through the tunnel. As the ship settled into cruising speed, Jason felt normal again. And angry. He glared at Eve.

“Look, you’ve been ordering me around, expecting me to just obey your every command. Now I want you to answer a few questions. Where’s Fred? Where did you come from? Where are you taking me? What kind of place-“ Jason was cut off by a sudden bone-jarring jolt. His stomach flip-flopped as Sophia the IIIrd suddenly dipped downwards, then back up. “What was?” Another jolt wrenched the ship, accompanied by resounding ‘BOOM!’ Eve slammed on the breaks and Sophia the IIIrd screeched to an instantaneous stop. Eve was silent, staring intently out the windshield. Jason tried to see what she was looking at. They were along a long, narrow cliff. In front of them was more cliffs. Each one separated by a deep drop-off. On the second cliff, across from the drop-off, there was a robot the height of a basketball hoop. Looking at the drop-off, Jason breathed a sigh of relief. “Well there’s no way he can step over that,” Jason said. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Incorrect on both counts,” Eve said. Jason’s eyes widened in horror as the robot leapt off the cliff. BOOM! Sophia the IIIrd jolted again as the fearsome creature landed cleanly. It began clomping towards them. Each powerful step made Jason’s teeth chatter.

“He’s going to get us!” he screamed.

“Fire at him!” yelled Eve. Jason stared at the control panel, bewildered. He flicked the lever marked ‘multi-warhead missile.’ Nothing happened. BOOM came the robot step. It was about six feet away. “Fire!” Eve demanded. Jason pulled ‘thunder break.’ Again, nothing.

“I can’t,” Jason looked at Eve, shaking with fear. “Our power is gone!”

“Brace yourself,” Eve shouted. Before her eyes, the robot left the ground. As it came down, its heavy, solid, metal boots were aimed straight at Sophia the IIIrd .

So we have a new character to pair with boring ol' Jason. Unfortunately, she comes with a stupid gimmick. So it goes. Find out next time if they can get past the first enemy of the game!

Adam
08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm going to go home and grab my copy just so I can point out all the places where Loki's ears fail him.

Stiv
08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
For the curious, "Eve" here is the addition from Worlds of Power that became cannon for the (horrible) PSX sequel.

Octopus Prime
08-09-2013, 02:02 PM
It wasn't horrible! Or at least it wasn't horrible when I was Teen-Octo; Attorney At Law. No idea what Octo: The Modern Prometheus would say about it.

Jeanie
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Psst... Loki...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/definite

First paragraph, not defiantly human/female