PDA

View Full Version : Naming your personal electronics

Lumber Baron
06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Don't post and we'll all assume yours are named after robots that look like 14 year old girls.

My computer of three years was named T-Minus, after a fictional Malaysian gun in a story I was writing at the time. It's since been replaced whithin the last month by a laptop Abeno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abeno-ku,_Osaka), named so because when it malfunctions I can yell "Fuckin' Abeno!" which sounds fairly euphonic I think.

I haven't had a mp3 player for quite some time, but my iPod was named The Hermitage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitage_Museum). When I set up my mothers' iPod for her I got stuck at the naming portion, until I imagined the iPod pleading with me like the Ivory Tower chick from Neverending Story. So I named it Mondenkind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childlike_Empress#Nameless).

alexb
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I call mine by the names their parents gave them.

poetfox
06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
My PC is named Tomoyo-chan. My Hard Drives are called Sir Savesalot and Voluminous... I never did think to name my MP3 player, though... so it's still iAudio... maybe I should change the name...

Sheana
06-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I am very bad about naming my stuff. It's a terrible habit.

My computer is Deep Thought (seriously this thing and its monitor are huge), and my ancient laptop is Roger 2.0. My old iPod what I gave to my brother was iHawk, my current iPod is Jim 2.0. My GBA (Nintento patterned!) is George, and my shiny white DS is Wernstrom.

Excitemike
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I named my PSP "mother box", after the PDA of the Gods. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Box)
I don't have a name for my DS, but I usually call it a "Game Boy".

Parish
06-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Every computer is a variant on Servbot (the latest is Servbot Prime). Every iPod is a variant on ToastyPod (the latest is ToastyPod Jr.).

I am not especially creative.

openedsource
06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
My old Mac laptop was named Doraemon, the new(er) one (12inch) was named Ono Sendai. The household iMac is named Nostromo.

I don't think any of the PCs I've worked with have ever had names. None I'd share in polite company, anyway.

Vahn16
06-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I named my PS3 "disappointment." Yes, I went there.

I think my other electronics are just named after me. I never really took the time to think of names for PCs when I first got them.

Caithness
06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
My computer is named PowerBook G4.

My DS is named BonkeyMong. I'm considering changing it back to Caithness, though, since that's the name that's used for Tetris DS online matches.

Squall
06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I pretty much stick to naming my cars and nerf guns.
cars are Angel and Devil, a la Ridge Racer Revolution.

In an embarassing FF8 fit to follow my screen name, my home network is 'Garden,' with computers Balamb and Trabia.

blitzchamp
06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I refrain from naming my electronics since I lack the creativity to create any names for them. I usually just put the default stuff.

mr_bungle700
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
The only electronics I name are the computers I build/buy. The current one is Sachiko, and the character it's named after is neither a robot nor a 14 year old girl. Seriously!

Mazian
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
My iPod is named Euterpe. Computers don't get much in the way of creative naming (such as "fileserver").

Squall
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
The only electronics I name are the computers I build/buy. The current one is Sachiko, and the character it's named after is neither a robot nor a 14 year old girl. Seriously!

The first thing that comes to my mind is from "Nana."

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
My computers have generally been named some variant on Topeka (long story - see the "Explain your name" thread if you care), the latest being Topeka^Nth.

My other electronics usually get uncreative names like Goldberg's Z525.

Makkara
06-12-2007, 12:25 AM
If I feel compelled to refer to any of my possessions by name, I'll call them all Old Bessie-Lou.

shivam
06-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Naming is a very important thing for me, especially in my culture.

my old computer was named Synth (and the accompanying laptop Absinthe), and my current box is Shadow. My current lappy is Wanderer, because it came with me to japan.

mr_bungle700
06-12-2007, 12:33 AM
The first thing that comes to my mind is from "Nana."

Nope, this Sachiko is a few years younger and much more likely to end up in a lesbian relationship.

Balrog
06-12-2007, 07:01 AM
My old laptop was HAL. My new one is MPU.

Excitemike
06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
My new one is MPU.
It's like CPU, only cooler!

R^2
06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
You want a dearth of creativity? My computer is called "the computer". Not in a cool Star Trek it-responds-to-voice-commands way, just I never named the gol-durn thing.

My car is Mr. Saturn. Guess what make it is!

Sanagi
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
My ipod is called "utahime." That's not a reference to anything, it's just a word I like that seemed relevant.

djSyndrome
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
iPod: DaniPod
iPod Shuffle: PinkyPod
iMac: setsugekka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfL6QsswJGE)
PS3: inori (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_x0uxzLFRdU)

locit
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
My PSP: Dusty.
My computer: Compy, or リンゴ (ringo), referencing both Apple and the Beatles.
My ipod: 音楽の道具 ("ongaku"=music, "dogu"=gadget), which is sort of a Doraemon reference more than it is a proper name.

Healy
06-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't name any of my eletronics. And why do you people name your stuff anyway?

JCDenton
06-12-2007, 09:22 PM
My computer is Deep Thought (seriously this thing and its monitor are huge), and my ancient laptop is Roger 2.0. My old iPod what I gave to my brother was iHawk, my current iPod is Jim 2.0. My GBA (Nintento patterned!) is George, and my shiny white DS is Wernstrom.

My computer is Deep Thought as well. Crazy!

Lumber Baron
06-13-2007, 03:24 AM
I don't name any of my eletronics. And why do you people name your stuff anyway?
Because we're asked to name them when we set them up.

R^2
06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Oh, that? In that case, my computer is "Computer, lol"

openedsource
06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Oh, that? In that case, my computer is "Computer, lol"
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/2001859367033693065_rs.jpg

Zef
06-13-2007, 08:09 PM
My PCs always end up named "FATE." The laptops, "Lynx." Home network is "El Nido," and the file server is "Records of Fate."

My iPod is "Prometheus."

If I'm not one of the biggest Chrono nerds ever, I'm hella close to it.

Torgo
06-13-2007, 09:12 PM
My car is Mr. Saturn. Guess what make it is!
Suzuki.

...right?

Lumber Baron
06-13-2007, 10:35 PM
No, you idiot, the one named after a planet. Y'know, Mercury.

Calorie Mate
06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
When we first set up our wireless router three years ago, I kept getting kicked off the network. After spending hours finally trying to figure out what was wrong, my friend finally noticed that I'd named my computer "Megatron" but so had my other friend on the network, so that the router was kicking me off since it was a duplicate name.

Naturally, I renamed my computer Starscream.

Schmidt
06-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Workgroup: TAU CETI
Computer: Marathon
C drive is Durandal, E drive is Leela (I had a Tycho at one point, but never managed three drives in the same configuration)
3rd gen iPod was Cortana (back before color screens, they lit up blue, and you plugged them into your head. It fit.), but it got dropped a few too many times. I mean, uh, it went rampant. Yeah.
iPod Shuffle is GuiltySpark. It's also almost dead, but it's not my fault this time.

upupdowndown
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
My Macs are always named Henry David Thoreau, and my network is always named Walden.

Falselogic
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
My Macs are always named Henry David Thoreau, and my network is always named Walden.

Really? That's much more literary than me.

I bought an Alienware computer once and in keeping with that theme all my harddrives and USB devices were named things like "Dreadnought", "UFO", and "Monolith." I don;t have that computer anymore yet the nomenclature remains...

kaisel
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Right now, iPod aside, I have a Norse Mythology thing going. My laptop and desktop are named after valkyries (currently Eir and Sigrun), and my Kindle, having access to a bunch of knowledge is Mimir's Head.

upupdowndown
12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Really? That's much more literary than me.

I bought an Alienware computer once and in keeping with that theme all my harddrives and USB devices were named things like "Dreadnought", "UFO", and "Monolith." I don;t have that computer anymore yet the nomenclature remains...

We were reading Walden for a philosophy class my first month in college, when I got my first computer of my own, and the irony appealed.

Wolfgang
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
My first Mac since I switched back to them was called Goatface Killah, because I was really into Homestar (http://www.homestarrunner.com/answer12.html) at the time. So my iPod was named Goatface Jr. Then my next iPod was called Goatface 2, and my first iPhone was called Goatphone. Now my iPhone 4 is called Goatphone HD, and my Mac doesn't have a name, because you can't rename your Mac's hard drive under Lion :C (they're still the best computers, don't even start in on that)

Although right now my iPad is named iPaDOS, because all of my electronics have Aperture Laboratories wallpaper.

Belmont
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Macbook Pro (500GB) - Macdaddy Pro
White iPhone 4S (16GB) - Gestalt
Silver iPod Shuffle (1GB) - Replicant

*clap clap* I'm out!

Rookzero
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I've taken to calling my pc Promethieus, because I used to joke that it's been cursed by the gods so now every day something eats its processing power.

Droewyn
12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
My current desktop is The Monolith, because it looks like one.

The laptop is Farli, because at the time I got it I was naming all of my things after literary dragons.

The PVR-computer is Kero-chan, and my iPod is Euterpe. Video game consoles and handhelds are all nameless, for some unknown reason. My car is named Evangeline (Evie).

Balrog
12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm going to continue my tradition of naming my Apple products after colossi from Shadow of the Colossus. I haven't decided on what to call the new macbook.

ozacrot
12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't name things after things, but read the thread and remembered that all my laptops asked me for a name.

2006: Grimace
2010: Grimace 2.0
2011: Grimace 3K I am so sorry about what happened to you Grimace 2.0, I will always love you

mike
12-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Somewhere around 2004 I named my desktop PC "vicviper", after playing a lot of Gradius V. I'm terrible at coming up with creative names for devices on the spot, so over time that expanded into my system:

Windows Desktops: playable Gradius series ships (vicviper, lordbritish, falchionbeta, metalion, etc)
Linux boxes/VMs: Parodius characters, mostly so I could name one after Pentaro
Apple laptop and iDevices: Twinbee characters
Other devices: Various minor enemies, bosses, options, etc., as appropriate

The original post in this topic made me realize I need to come up with another naming scheme soon, though, before I'm faced with the prospect of learning Otomedius names.

Alixsar
12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
My Wii is RX-78 Gundam. My hard drive is Big O. My old wifi network was NERV HQ. My current one is SSV Normandy. That's about it. Everything else I either haven't bothered or don't care.

My Xbox is Space Heater, which is accurate.

Adrenaline
12-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Fucking epic necromancy.

I decided recently to name my computers after houses from A Song of Ice and Fire. Stark is dead, Baratheon lives.

Falselogic
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Fucking epic necromancy.

I decided recently to name my computers after houses from A Song of Ice and Fire. Stark is dead, Baratheon lives.

That is actually really cool...

fugu13
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I name mine after characters in works by Samuel Beckett.

Red Hedgehog
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
I name mine after characters in works by Star Trek.

Fixed.

Actually, that's what I name my cities in Civilization.

My iPhone is named "Bronsky" after the character in the animated series Exo-Squad

namelessentity
12-14-2011, 02:45 PM
My desktop computer has always been named Jeffery.

Why? Because I find it hilarious whenever someone looks who is connected to the network and they call out "Who the hell is Jeffery?!?"

No one in my family, friends, co-workers, or school have ever been named Jeffery. It confuses the hell out of them and makes me giggle.

Serephine
12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I name my computer Valhalla because I used to be a huge Norse myth nerd and my computer is the pinnacle of electronic entertainment in my house just like Valhalla is the pinnacle of said Norse myth ideals.

Mara
12-14-2011, 03:04 PM
I name everything. A couple examples:

My computer, because it has an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU, I named Ancalagon. (A nod to the dragon "Ancalagon the Black" from Tolkien's works.) My network is named "Arda"--another nod to Tolkien.

My PS3 is named Tarrant, after Gerald Tarrant from C.S. Friedman's Coldfire series.

My car (what? It has electronics in it!) is named Lenneth Valkyrie, after the main character from Valkyrie Profile (one of my favorite characters, and games, ever). It helps that the car is the same color as her armor. :D

Alixsar
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Fucking epic necromancy.

Spoilers! maybe I don't know

In response to this thread, I've decided to name my PS3 Lil' Brudder. Because he can play games too, just like the big guys! He's got the heart of a champion

Falselogic
12-14-2011, 03:11 PM

In response to this thread, I've decided to name my PS3 Lil' Brudder. Because he can play games too, just like the big guys! He's got the heart of a champion

The book came out in 1996... spoiler tags expired a long time ago...

Wolfgang
12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Because he can play games too, just like the big guys!

But PS3 is the biggest one. It is hueg. Maybe name it Tendafoot?

nadia
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Slide to Play sent me a new iPod Touch around the same time we got Skyward Sword, so I named the iPod "Fi."

I had no idea how reviled Fi would become within days. In retrospect...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/wtpkitten/bendrowned.jpg

Alixsar
12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
The book came out in 1996... spoiler tags expired a long time ago...

Hence the I don't know part.

But PS3 is the biggest one. It is hueg. Maybe name it Tendafoot?

No. Strong Sad is the biggest compromise I'm willing to make. Maybe Homestar since he sounds like he's mentally handicapped and that's an apt metaphor for most of Sony's decisions this console generation.

Wait, actually yeah that's perfect. Homestar Runner it is.

John
12-14-2011, 04:29 PM
My iPods have all been Nine Inch Nails songs.

3rd Gen 30GB: Ruiner (cuz windows iTunes borked up my mp3's)
2nd Gen Shuffle: Eraser (cuz it's tiny)
Touch 64GB: The Great Destroyer (cuz it was big and flashy)
iPhone 4S: The Fragile (cuz it is)

My desktops have all been called My Computer.

Ted
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
My stuff has practical names like "HD500GB". Although, I've been kicking around the idea of getting internet at home. If so, I'll try to name my router something like "Nightmare On Cedar St" or maybe just HARDAC.

Once upon a time I set my car stereo to display my initials when it's set to aux input. I'm thinking of changing it to "SHO' NUFF!" because that would delight both myself and my passengers.

Brickroad
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
My home network is called Batman.

teg
12-14-2011, 06:50 PM
My wireless network is called "Bill Wi the Science Fi"
no it isn't. ;__;

Epithet
12-14-2011, 07:19 PM
My mac hard drive is named Calcifer.

My iPod is Howl.

shaddup

Wolfgang
12-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Oh, right - my Mac's external hard drive is Trogdor.

Paul le Fou
12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I've only named my storage drives. My first External HD was Bacon, and my Flash drive was Taco. (These are named after hedgehogs. Long story. Actually it's not, I just don't want to tell you.) When Bacon died, he came back bigger, stronger, meaner. Venganza de la Bacon. Flash drives don't allow very long names though, so Taco's replacement/backup/brother just became Taco Dos.

I don't have any other devices that can be named, I think.

Lady
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I started with a life and death theme
old desktop: DIE
dad's old computer: LIVE
old network: deader than a dying frog
external hdd: ZOMBI
little camera: St. Peter
dslr camera: CHARON
mbp: Salvation
iPod: Murmur
iPod Touch: Grace
old phone: Evangeline
new phone: Lakshmi

(I had to rename my mbp's harddrive to "Cee Colon Slash" so I could keep track of how macs worked)

ringworm
12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
My home network gives away how big of a ASoIaF nerd I am...and probably how big of a nerd I am in general:

Windows 7: stark (Desktop)

Ubuntu Virtualbox VM: arya
WinXP Virtualbox VM: sansa

FreeNAS: lannister

ESXi Whitebox: martell

Ubuntu: nymeria (SSH gateway/IRC client)
OpenSolaris: dorea
Win2k8 R2: elia
Ubuntu: obara (SABnzbd/Sickbeard/Couchpotato)
Mythbuntu: sarella (MythTV backend)
Ubuntu: loreza (work VPN tunnel)
Ubuntu: obella (code repository server)

Mythbuntu: tyrell (living room HTPC)

AppleTV: arryn (bedroom HTPC)

iPad: greyjoy

Android phone: baelish

I used to have a standalone linux box named baratheon and a Hackintosh named targaryen, but I have since decommissioned both of those as I've moved steadily toward virtualization.

Mewd
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Laptop used for creative writing: Gilgemesh

External Hard Drive: Athena

Flash Drive 1 (dead now): Gulliver

Flash Drive 2: Thoth

Old PC: Grendel

Gaming Desktop: THOR

BŁge
12-14-2011, 09:53 PM
My first computer I named HAL-9000, with the hard drive named Mainframe. yes I'm a nerd shuddup

My second, and current machine's HDs are named Sunder and Keening.

KCar
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
My old network was called "Plato's Cave," and the password was "ShadowPuppets." I was always pretty proud of that, in a very pretentious way.

Ethan
12-15-2011, 12:43 AM
The internal drive on my laptop is Get Psyched. My lossless music archive drive is Slabcore. My external boot drive with utilities is Miss Elizabeth. My backup hard drive is Brotherhood Of Steel. My iPod is Super Mutant. My USB flash drive is Black Stick.

You can totally rename your hard drive under Lion, by the way.

Bongo Bill
12-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Most of my computers, game consoles, etc. are named after Superman villains. Currently got Lex, Brainiac, Bizarro, Zod, and Metallo. One thing I like about this scheme is that there are just so many to choose from and there's bound to be one that's appropriate to any sort of device: Toyman, Doomsday, Darkseid, Mxyzptlk, Lobo, Mongul... the list goes on and on.

Al Baron
12-15-2011, 12:54 AM
I think my go-to name for inanimate crap (real and in games) has been ACROSS.

Destil
12-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Computers are traditionally named after female RPG characters, with the a rough lineage of Lulu, Riku, Elhaym, Shion, Rydia, Lennith, Agrias, Isara. Okay that last one's a strategy game, it's also the only laptop so maybe I'll go with that from now on for them. But the next desktop is Lightning or Fang for sure.

Networks are named after airships. Enterprise, Invincible and Faust (from my pen and paper Ivalice campaign I spent months hacking Star-Wars Saga Edition rules to run. Shut up, that counts).

Wolfgang
12-15-2011, 05:06 AM
You can totally rename your hard drive under Lion, by the way.

prove it

i bet you cant prove it

StriderDL
12-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Well, this is strangely coincidental as MEGAMAN, the nearly 7 year old Dell Inspiron laptop, passed away last night. His memories will live on in, er, SEAGATE. And then be transferred to whatever I get next.

Adrenaline
12-15-2011, 08:49 AM

What spoilers? The computer I named Stark is no longer in use.

Karzac
12-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I named my laptop Natalie, because it's an HP Envy laptop. Scott Pilgrim references hooray!

Comb Stranger
12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
My computer is named ARSENAL, after the gear. I guess my flash drive is Osiris, going by the Hecatomb card I use as a fob. I don't really name anything else.

Back when I actually played 40k, my twin hammerhead tanks (the bane of my friends' existence) were named Malebolge and Cocytus.

Zef
12-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm now using a Megaten scheme: my PC is NYX, the drives are Arthur and Verne, the phone is COMP, and they're on the Amala Network.

Sir Sly Ry
12-15-2011, 11:05 AM
My ipod is named POS because it was acting like a piece of shit, it was fucking up terribly for a while. Now it's working fine but you can't rename it while it's working, only when it breaks and you have to re-format it basically. Ugh. Before that it was called Sly Ry's Metal Menagerie.

Kirin
12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Right now, iPod aside, I have a Norse Mythology thing going.

I was doing that scheme with hard drives for a while; I think Fafnir is still running, and Gungnir lives on as an archive folder. My backup partition is Aegis, for obvious reasons.

My old lampshade-style iMac was Banpei due to the visual similarities; the name has now been passed on to my iPhone. My Mac before that was Mokona, and before that was Arcturus.

Sir Sly Ry
12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
My profile on my computer is named Jargon Scott.

If anyone knows what that is, I'm going to fucking marry you, with violent love.

Adam
12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Hence the I don't know part.

No. Strong Sad is the biggest compromise I'm willing to make. Maybe Homestar since he sounds like he's mentally handicapped and that's an apt metaphor for most of Sony's decisions this console generation.

Wait, actually yeah that's perfect. Homestar Runner it is.

poor homsar...

Nodal
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I named this AI I'm working on Dizzy.

pence
12-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Oldest machine: GILLANDERS
Next oldest machine: MANDERS
Parents' machine: SAUNDERS
Previous machine: CHUNDERS
Newest machine: ENDER

Phone: KINDER
USB storage: KINDERSTICK

"MANDERS" was the name randomly assigned to the one machine by a linux distro, and I stuck with .*NDERS? ever since.