PDA

View Full Version : October Fun Club RPG: Final Fantasy Tactics, apparently

Pages : [1] 2 3

Merus
10-02-2007, 01:20 AM
In before the Parish, who put this on the front page but didn't make the thread:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Square | PlayStation, 1997 | PlayStation Portable, 2007

I always thought that the line "Blame yourself, or God" in the original was extraordinarily flippant, as if the kidnapper was just holding back from listing Santa Claus and that bunny outside as potential targets for revenge as well. I'm kind of diappointed that it makes sense now in the remake.

Will people be playing the original, incomprehensible version, or the brand spankin' new version on the handheld answer to the N64?

Or have I derailed the thread already? It's not my fault. Blame yourself, or God.

Shadax
10-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I will be playing the "I beat this once, and I must say, never again" version in my pleasant memories of this game, which I don't want to sully by actually picking it up again.

Ben1842
10-02-2007, 01:36 AM
I will be playing the new version as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm not going to know until probably a day or two before it comes out. Money's tight and I still need the hardware. However, since I'm not getting the screw job on my bills that I had last month, I might be able to grab a PSP.

ringworm
10-02-2007, 02:19 AM
I bought my PSP specifically for this game. I'm glad its the Fun Club RPG selection.

Red Hedgehog
10-02-2007, 02:20 AM
As much as I would probably enjoy this game and even though I picked up the PlayStation version four years ago and haven't touched it since, I think when I do play the game I'd much rather have a comprehensible translation and any other goodies they may have added. Since I don't have a PSP and am moving this month making getting one an expense I can't justify now, my life will continue not having played FFT.

tungwene
10-02-2007, 03:01 AM
I bought my PSP specifically for this game. I'm glad its the Fun Club RPG selection.Yar, same here. The PSP version, when it comes out, will be the third version of this game I have owned. First one got lent to a friend and was never seen again. Second was the Greatest Hits rerelease version to replace the lost copy. I don't think I've ever owned/will own so many copies of the same game before.

Ben1842
10-02-2007, 03:08 AM
I don't think I've ever owned/will own so many copies of the same game before.

Do you not own any final fantasy games?

Or how about Sonic the Hedgehog.

or better still Pacman.

some games just keep coming.

tungwene
10-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Do you not own any final fantasy games?

Or how about Sonic the Hedgehog.

or better still Pacman.

some games just keep coming.Yes, and I feel no compulsion to buy every newest released remake/port that gets pushed out when I already own still perfectly playable earlier versions. This may be an earth shattering revelation to you but not everyone wants to Final Fantasy I & II for the PS1, GBA, and PSP or the Sonic games on VC when they're also in the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection. I don't know how you like to spend your money but I like to save mine for buying games I've never played before.

My point was for FFT I am making an E-X-C-E-P-T-I-O-N.

Octopus Prime
10-02-2007, 03:47 AM
I shall acquire yon game 'pon the morrow.

Morrow meaning next week when it comes out.

I like me some FFT

Jakanden
10-02-2007, 04:39 AM
I will be picking this up for sure as well.

sraymonds
10-02-2007, 05:09 AM
I've played it twice so far. My first run-through was me basically just trying to beat the game, and the second time I had Ramza learn every skill. EVERY.

I hope to do the same with the PSP version.

I decided to play Final Fantasy Tactics...ADVANCE.

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 08:03 AM
I've played this game so many times that I could talk about it without actually playing it.

That said, I'm getting the PSP version day one.

djSyndrome
10-02-2007, 08:09 AM
For some reason as much as I love FFT, I have zero desire to play it again right now. Maybe it's because I still have a half-dozen other RPGs that I haven't even touched yet.

Brickroad
10-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I played FFT over the course of a year back when it first came out. I understand it's a great game, but I don't like it all that much. So I guess I won't contribute to this thread! Booooo.

Zef
10-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I bought my PSP specifically for this game. I'm glad its the Fun Club RPG selection.

Ditto, but I'll probably wait a couple of months to play it. Not only did I spend far too much in last week's NYC escapades, but FFT isn't a game I could rush through in just a month. Additionally, I'm still playing FF12 and Halo 3 on the consoles, and the portables have Pokemon and Jeanne d'Arc right now; I'd like a break between tactical games once I'm done with that last one.

I'll play FFT vicariously through the thread, though.

Aeonus
10-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh thank god. I've been getting serious cravings to play this game again, but was holding off until Fun Club. Then the cravings started turning into withdrawal yesterday, because apparently I'm an addict and need a fix every 1-2 years.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this discussion. Now... to make a team or just use story characters? Been forever since I've done the latter.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
So yeah, I'm looking forward to this discussion. Now... to make a team or just use story characters? Been forever since I've done the latter.
With the extra character slots, both options are now totally possible!

Option three: Use a monster group. Good luck to you guys.

I'm not normally the strategy guide type, but am I the only one who's probably going to pick up the guide as well?

sraymonds
10-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I'll be picking up the strategy guide, just to have really. So don't feel alone Torgo!

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I've got a strategy guide... IN MY BRAIN.

sraymonds
10-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Then I guess you won't mind if we pick your brain...with surgical instruments?

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Nope, not at all.

P.S. I was watching the trailer for FFT:TLW at work (GameStop), and they totally screwed up the intro. By screwed up, I mean "made sense of." I don't know how I'm going to be able to play this game, but it's gone from "Spoken from the Sword, handed down from the stone. Now the story can be told" to "By sword attested, by stone revealed, their tale can now be told." Guys, I'm afraid that I'm going to let my nostalgia get in the way of enjoying one of my favorite games.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Incidentally, if you don't mind my asking, what are the preorder numbers for it like? While it's not exactly high profile, I do wonder if I'd just be able to walk in and get a copy somewhere on the ninth. (Well, the tenth more likely).

For sure, the disconnect in the new localization is going to be tough at first. Not so much the plot, but the classes and abilities.

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I've been pushing this game pretty hard, but the only people who are getting it are the people who have already played it. My store's fairly small, and we've got about 10 preorders, which is a lot for a PSP RPG. Odds of you finding it are pretty good, just as long as your store acutally has a few preorders. If nobody at your store preorders it, they'll probably only get two copies.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
... I think I might preorder just to be safe.

ringworm
10-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I was watching the trailer for FFT:TLW at work (GameStop), and they totally screwed up the intro. By screwed up, I mean "made sense of." I don't know how I'm going to be able to play this game, but it's gone from "Spoken from the Sword, handed down from the stone. Now the story can be told" to "By sword attested, by stone revealed, their tale can now be told." Guys, I'm afraid that I'm going to let my nostalgia get in the way of enjoying one of my favorite games.
I honestly don't get this. I have the exact opposite reaction and I loved the original FFT as much as the next super-nerd. I am plunking down ~$200 to play this game just for the translation. Every new line that someone quotes me only cements my belief that I made the right call.

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 11:29 AM
The new translation (what I've seen, anyway) seems to be like "I'm totally better than you and my Elizabethan dialoge will confuse you with it's Yoda-type correctness", whereas the old one was "This is how we talk" (for the most part. Ice/Fire/Lighting Bracelet was dumb.)
It seems extravagant for the sake of extravagance instead of in terms of story.

Again, I've only seen screens on this, and have not yet played the game. Again as well, I LOVED the original, and the dialoge/text is part of the whole package. To me, this would be like them rewriting the Lord of the Rings to make it sound more exotic, while keeping the plot points the same.

shivam
10-02-2007, 11:37 AM
speaking of, when does the psp version come out? i preordered it, but forgot release date.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Next week.

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Next Wednesday, the 10th.

Parish
10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
whereas the old one was "This is how we talk"
No, the old one was "The persons talk. How?!?"

Torgo
10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
This is the way.

shivam
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm actually really sad that they didn't keep "I had a good feeling". it is the spoony bard of fft.

Kishi
10-02-2007, 12:56 PM
It never occurred to me that "I got a good feeling!" would be regarded as particularly comedic until I got onto the Internet and observed so firsthand. To this day, I still feel like I'm missing out on the joke.

shivam
10-02-2007, 01:03 PM
it's a direct translation of a phrase i heard on an hourly basis when i lived in japan, so i'm kinda attached to it.

ringworm
10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
What is a non-literal translation of the phrase and in what context is it used?

Excitemike
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm not normally the strategy guide type, but am I the only one who's probably going to pick up the guide as well?

I have the Japanese guide. It didn't help me very much.

reibeatall
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
No, the old one was "The persons talk. How?!?"

The point is good!

shivam
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
The phrase doesn't really translate into english, but people would use it in context to mean, This gave me a good feeling, i'm doing the right thing, it made me feel good, etc etc. the opposite was kimochii warui, meaning 'it gave me a bad feeling', or dude, that's lame/dirty/retarded/bad in multiple ways.

Octopus Prime
10-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm guessing "Surrender, or die in obscurity" was taken out.

Which is too bad, because I like how that sounded.

Parish
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
That line is now, "Lay down your swords or die clutching them," which is less charmingly obtuse and more creatively threatening.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Why did this topic have to be made this early? Now I'm itching to play it, and the only thing I have to scratch it with is first-person shooters.

Awesome shooters, to be sure, but it's like craving a candy bar and the only thing in the house is a can of Spam.

ringworm
10-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Why did this topic have to be made this early?
Blame Merus, or God.

Merus
10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I gotta be honest: I wanted the trifecta. All three Fun Club threads. The Triple Triad. The black gold. The texas tea.

Wait, normally you're supposed to segue into Prince of Bel-Air, aren't you? Dammit. I can't even get internet retard right. I didn't even start the thread with 'first post!!!1!'.

Parish
10-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I hear that Tactics was already released on some platform or another and that we could maybe discuss knowledge gleaned from that version? Or something?

Eusis
10-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Not to mention that PSP players will get to have it portable, ergo more possible time to play it. Players of the console version are kinda stuck with playing it at home, so it could be considered a headstart to make up for that.

Torgo
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh fine.

So someone brought up using plot characters vs. generics. How does everyone lean? I personally tend to lean toward generic characters since I feel a lot more satisfaction and attachment to the guys I built from the ground up at the outset. I feel like they're more flexible as well; With plot characters, I feel compelled to make use of their special abilities at all times.

That said, I generally introduce Agrias as at least a semi-regular into my group, because Holy Knight skills are just awesome.

Daremo
10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I have to admit that I got super confused by the PS1 FFT. Having never finished the original, I cannot wait to pick up the PSP version next week. I am happy I have the slim now too so that I can play on the TV.

shivam
10-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I used a few story folks, like agrias and tg cid, but i loved being able to use generics without being shackled to the core class features like i'd be with storied dudes.

SkywardShadow
10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I've pre-ordered the game, and I believe the the Vader PSP comes out on the same day (The 9th), so my plan includes buying both. I've taken this opportunity to start stocking up on some of the interesting PSP games that I've been missing out on.

I can't wait to experience this translation, and despite how highly I regard it, it's been a rather long time since I actually played through the PSX game, so I'm thinking a lot of it's going to feel really new to me.

spineshark
10-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok wow, this settles it. I'm going home this weekend, and definitely remembering to bring my copy of FFT to school with me. I've had it for a few months, but all I've done is play the first battle...which I royally screwed up because I didn't understand the death mechanic, although that is probably not a problem anymore. I'm actually not very good at sticking to one game unless it totally grabs me (Persona 3) or is quite short and not terribly frustrating (Eternal Sonata, which I beat pretty much over the weekend).

But, I'll see how it goes. I'm pretty sure this is going to be my favorite FF game...but that doesn't really say much either.

Savathun
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I've played it twice so far. My first run-through was me basically just trying to eat the game, and the second time I had Ramza learn every skill. EVERY.

So I guess you didn't succeed with the first run-through?

sraymonds
10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
No, I'm still hungry.

Wil Defoe
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey I don't want to go off on a Tolkien tangent here, but the Lord of the Rings is written in an old enough style it reads exotic. Let's not even get into the older stuff from the Simarillion and the stuff before that -- the Book of Lost Tales -- let' s just say that Tolkien is written in anything but the "This is how we talk." Now the good intended hack job they did squeezing in the dialect and lines in the movies...well....

Octopus Prime
10-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I like using Agrias, but besides Ramza, she's the only Story Character I ever use.

Maybe sometimes Beowulf.

switchbeat
10-02-2007, 07:52 PM

Likewise. Money is tight for me as well, so luckily I was able to find a used PSP for $100. I was planning on buying the game on the 9th, but I'm thinking I'll preorder now just in case.

Rosencrantz
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
The only plot character I've ever used is Mustadio. I liked to turn him into a Chemist so he could keep using guns and use his special skills with a good range, while also being able to offer some kind of support as backup.

Also, now I need to go back and reread through the older FFT thread to remind myself of some of the neat tips I saw in there.

Jakanden
10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I hear that Tactics was already released on some platform or another and that we could maybe discuss knowledge gleaned from that version? Or something?

Like this (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=22189)?

I saved that thread as I plan to read through it as I am playing. I have started and stopped FFT about 5 times never making it more than 20 hours. I hope to finish the PSP version.

Coinspinner
10-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I didn't use the story characters much. If I play along it'll be the PS1 version via emulator for screenshot ability. Someone give me a theme party to use.

tungwene
10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Only story character I still use is Agrias and even so not often anymore. I just feel so BAD for the poor smucks I'm fighting when I use TG Cid.

Ok wow, this settles it. I'm going home this weekend, and definitely remembering to bring my copy of FFT to school with me. I've had it for a few months, but all I've done is play the first battle...which I royally screwed up because I didn't understand the death mechanic, although that is probably not a problem anymore.Was that the first first battle in Orbonne or the first battle of Chapter one the flashback? I don't think I've ever lost anyone in Orbonne but the generics that fight alongside you in that battle join your party at the end of the flashback. If it was the other one, chances are you would've wanted to kick out all the generics you started out with after that battle anyway. Most likely the generics you started out with sucked and you would've wanted to go pick out some generics with better Brave/Faith from the Soldier Office random generator.

Parish
10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, Agrias is great, although taking her down the obvious path of Knight compromises her innate skill with magic, so she's kind of tough to train properly. And actually, I fully used Rafa this time through. She's shockingly effective in this version of the game.

Issun
10-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Proven fact: If you don't like FFT's gameplay, you will have a tendency to torture puppies at some point in your sad little life.

Torgo
10-03-2007, 02:24 PM
So, the seemingly natural fit of Holy Knight/Knight isn't all that good? Curious. Trouble is, doesn't Holy Knight get gimped MP? That would make it tough to make effective use of any magic classes... unless perhaps you gave her Move MP Up. (And wow, an ability that I wrote off years ago as completely worthless actually might have a worthwhile utilization).

As for Rafa... not that I don't doubt you, but at the same time I can't help but say that I'll believe it when I see it. Malak is still crap though due to his low faith, right?

Jakanden
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Reading this and the other thread makes me realize how little attention I paid to the in-depth mechanics of FFT. I just kinda shot from the hip as I played and didn't have too much trouble.

Torgo
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm far from a stat whore myself. I don't grind faith and brave, I don't really pay attention to the zodiac affinities, and in a lot of ways I just kind of play it how I like. That said, to this day I'm amazed that there are still things I'm finding out about the game.

Kishi
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I relish using the special characters, but I've never felt the need to train them outside their special classes. They're perfectly competent "out of the box," so to speak.

Rafa and Malak are the natural exceptions, of course. Their default skills are so bad that it would seem like a waste to bother training them over a generic I've been building since the beginning of the game.

Torgo
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
In honesty, I usually just paired plot characters with a lower-tier class that suited their innate abilities well. Mustadio as a Chemist with Engineer skills subbed makes perfect sense, for example. If you're me and not anyone else, Mediator is also not too bad a choice.

shivam
10-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I got musty high enough to get 'equip gun' and then slotted him as a thief or ninja, with engineer secondary. I got the rest of the folks high enough to dual wield, if not out right mastery of most classes. I just enjoyed having things like ninja/bard orlandu =)

reibeatall
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
In honesty, I usually just paired plot characters with a lower-tier class that suited their innate abilities well. Mustadio as a Chemist with Engineer skills subbed makes perfect sense, for example. If you're me and not anyone else, Mediator is also not too bad a choice.

This is exactly how I play, even with the Mediator/Mustadio combo.

Torgo
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I love Mediator dearly, despite the class being not all that fantastic. I mean, yeah, he's got decent buffing ability, but all his moves sport relatively low success rates, making him pretty ho-hum overall.

What's the GameShark equivalent on the market these days? I just realized I'm probably going to have to buy one sooner or later. It's the only way to actually enjoy using Cloud, who is actually frighteningly awesome.

Then there's all the other classes and such that the player never gets to use.

Coinspinner
10-03-2007, 03:48 PM
It's pretty hard to mess up with stat growth in FFT. The only no-no is making a long-time spell caster into a fighter. That's the US PS1 version though, I'm pretty sure they changed some things in the PSP update.

mazoboom
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
What's the GameShark equivalent on the market these days?

Is there one? How would that even work on a PSP? I could only see it working like homebrew works, but what do I know about hacking.

I never used a Mediator, maybe I'll try it on the new one, but as Jakanden said, it's too easy a game to have to worry about max/min-ing.

Blame Calorie Mate, or God.

gamin
10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Something I had not realized until recently was how much more JP was required in the Japanese FFT for certain abilities. Unless Parish can say for sure, I wonder if the JP requirements are staying at the Japanese amounts for the US release. Also, I guess stealing Genji equipment is now impossible. Hope there's a new way to get it.

Sanagi
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Even in the U.S. version, I eventually got tired of wasting my life on the Mandalia plains and just started speeding things up with a gameshark. I felt like after playing through the game a million times I had earned the right.

Mightyblue
10-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I love Mediator dearly, despite the class being not all that fantastic. I mean, yeah, he's got decent buffing ability, but all his moves sport relatively low success rates, making him pretty ho-hum overall.

What's the GameShark equivalent on the market these days? I just realized I'm probably going to have to buy one sooner or later. It's the only way to actually enjoy using Cloud, who is actually frighteningly awesome.

Then there's all the other classes and such that the player never gets to use.
Yeah, once you master the Soldier class, you can stick him in Summoner long enough to get the Half CT support skill and then the Limit skills don't take nearly as long to pull off.

Parish
10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, the US version uses the original Japanese JP values. Better invest 250 JP in the Squire's "Earned JP Up" skill right off!

Alastor
10-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm one of those unfortunate people who muscled through chapter 3 only to get incinerated by Velius, so now I have to start the game over. Nobody warned me about that fight!

gamin
10-04-2007, 11:21 PM
The game unfortunately never points this out to you when you're inbetween a series of battles in a stage, but you always have to keep a save on the World Map so you can't get backed into a corner with an unbeatable fight.

Issun
10-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Can someone explain to me how T.G. Cid's a gamebraker, ala KOTR?
I mean, he shifts the game in your favor, but certain battles are still a bitch, even with him and a Summoner w/ Math Skill & all relevant abilites.
Maybe I just suck at Tactical RPGs, but it seems that listing Orlandu as a gamebraker is a bit of an exaggeration.

Torgo
10-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Also, I guess stealing Genji equipment is now impossible. Hope there's a new way to get it.
What? Is this true? Am I actually free from having to follow my nasty compulsion to subject myself to acquiring it from Elmdor? That in and of itself would almost justify a purchase.

Yes, the US version uses the original Japanese JP values. Better invest 250 JP in the Squire's "Earned JP Up" skill right off!
... I almost hate to ask, but isn't this pretty much a given either way? I mean, I've never heard of anyone not beelining for this first thing... well, maybe first thing after Accumulate.

Octopus Prime
10-05-2007, 09:35 AM
What? Is this true? Am I actually free from having to follow my nasty compulsion to subject myself to acquiring it from Elmdor? That in and of itself would almost justify a purchase.

Supposedly, he has Maintenence now, which means he's unstealfromable.

Falselogic
10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
So there. I'm perfectly content talking about a completely different game than the rest of you here. I could play the original PSX version, but I spend a lot of time not in front of a television so it's the GBA one on my DS. I'm looking forward to perhaps beating it this time (2nd attempt).

ringworm
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm perfectly content talking about a completely different game than the rest of you here.
Please don't.

Falselogic
10-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Please don't.

It's FFT though, so why can't I?

shivam
10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
FFTA is different than FFT. in many fundamental ways. Not the least in the fact that it's a completely different game with a different story and a different system. Feel free to open a new thread about it in the main gaming forum though.

Falselogic
10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Feel free to open a new thread about it in the main gaming forum though.

I did just that that, it's here http://www.toastyfrog.com/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=1588

Coinspinner
10-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, once you master the Soldier class, you can stick him in Summoner long enough to get the Half CT support skill and then the Limit skills don't take nearly as long to pull off.

Time Mage.

I mean, he shifts the game in your favor, but certain battles are still a bitch, even with him and a Summoner w/ Math Skill & all relevant abilites.
Maybe I just suck at Tactical RPGs, but it seems that listing Orlandu as a gamebraker is a bit of an exaggeration.

Mainly because we (the most obsessive fans) wish the game were still a challenge for people who know and understand the systems. I think you're exagerating. Which battle is "still a bitch" with Orlandu and a Math Skiller? O_o

That's like... Auto-Battle, take a wiz, come back and you've won.

Zen
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM

There are four or five battles in the game that he can win in one hit. Since Excalibur gives him auto-haste, and he's pretty fast besides, he usually gets first turn. I've won a lot of fights on the first move of the battle that way.

He's got versatility combined with overpowering, incomprehensible attack power.

shivam
10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
i had a nightmare battle once where i calculated level 5 or something with death, and all my people died, and all the enemies lived. i just watched each person plotz over with this growing sense of dread and oh-shit-itude.

Torgo
10-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I've... never used a calculator. I never had the patience for their plodding, mind-numbingly slow movement speed.

tungwene
10-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I've... never used a calculator. I never had the patience for their plodding, mind-numbingly slow movement speed.That's why you give someone in another job Math Skills as their second set of skills. But I agree, Calculator the actual job is a pain to play as.

reibeatall
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I've... never used a calculator. I never had the patience for their plodding, mind-numbingly slow movement speed.

I've HAD a calculator, but I didn't care for actually using it. I usually have a few ranged attackers and the rest are up close. I don't think I every really use magic. It just takes too long.

Torgo
10-05-2007, 02:27 PM
That's why you give someone in another job Math Skills as their second set of skills. But I agree, Calculator the actual job is a pain to play as.
Point in fact, the latter is why I've never done the former.

tungwene
10-05-2007, 02:32 PM
You guys have no idea how much fun you're missing out on.

Rosencrantz
10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
It's a bit of a pain, but every time I play the game I do this: I make sure my Calculator is male, and I train him up to be that and a Bard. Then I teach him one or two Bard songs and switch back to the Calculator class, and bam, he gets JP faster since he just keeps singing and you don't have to worry about his awful speed at all. Once I've learned all the necessary Math Skills, I switch him over to Black Mage and rock out.

DrSenbei
10-05-2007, 09:06 PM
There's one battle shortly after you get Rafa and Malak where you are squaring off a bunch of chumps inside a bombed out building or sorts. It might have been a "PROTECT MALAK!" kind of mission now that I think about it. Anyway, normally you are bombarded with Summon Magic while the enemy hides behind their stupid ramparts but with the Math Skill and Height 3 Holy (or something like that) you can nuke the whole field in one blow. Very satisfying.

Calculators are fun fun fun. I highly recommend them for anyone playing through for the umptenth time. Just bring a Time Mage with you when you're JP grinding so you can haste the pokey bastards.

Aeonus
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Calculators are fun fun fun. I highly recommend them for anyone playing through for the umptenth time. Just bring a Time Mage with you when you're JP grinding so you can haste the pokey bastards.
Don't forget to Yell at them whenever Ramza's turn comes up, too.

So has anyone else started playing yet? I know most are waiting for the PSP version to drop... Either way, I'm already well into chapter two (just got Agrias). and decided to base my squad on my and my friends' FFXI characters. Of course, afterwards I got to thinking and realized story characters make better approximations of the jobs we play than the classes available to generics. Oh well. So my final team is probably going to be Ramza, Beowulf, Meliadoul, Agrias, and a Monk. Man, it's been a long time since I've used story characters.

Things I've been reminded of:
1. Damn, some of those early fights are really brutal. Nearly lost (permanently) my monk in Dorter because those guys can two-shot anyone not wearing a Linen Cuirass.
2. Wiegraf's Chocobo is the same one that joins you in chapter two. At least, I guess it's Wiegraf's. Dunno why else it'd be hanging out with the Death Corps at Fovoham.
3. Kinda sucks to swipe the equipment off Gafgarion and Agrias at the start of chapter 2 only get it stolen in the next fight.
4. It's so awesome that you get some of the JP that your allies earn. Unlock advanced jobs without ever switching to the prerequisites! Nab a sweet Support/Reaction/Movement ability from a job on the other side of the melee/mage divide!
5. "Best Fit" is dumb. Yeah, my Priest really wants to wear an Adaman Vest rather than his Wizard Robe... just because it has 6 more HP (nevermind the 22MP and 2 MAtk he'll lose.)

Coinspinner
10-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm waiting for someone to suggest a party for me to use.

Aeonus
10-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm waiting for someone to suggest a party for me to use.
How about FF4 characters? Or 10, if you like that better.

shivam
10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
i personally favor parties heavy on monks with magic support. i just like the sprites alot, and i love the idea of walking through places and fucking them up with my fists.

Torgo
10-06-2007, 03:19 AM
...and decided to base my squad on my and my friends' FFXI characters.
That's a solid idea. I might have to try that out.

Octopus Prime
10-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I've always been quite fond of Geomancers.

Which is weird since FF3 is the only game they haven't been utterly worthless in.

Posaune
10-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Shivam pretty much pointed out why I like to use monks in about any RPG when I have the option.

Mightyblue
10-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I think I've mentioned this before, but has anyone else run into that nigh-invincible army of nine or ten monks in Chapter 4 (random battle)? That was one of the few fights I had any trouble with (and I had a whole lot with that one).

reibeatall
10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I think I've mentioned this before, but has anyone else run into that nigh-invincible army of nine or ten monks in Chapter 4 (random battle)? That was one of the few fights I had any trouble with (and I had a whole lot with that one).

I tried to block it out of my memory, but yeah, I've found them a couple times. It's a good thing I had my dual-wielding samurai Ramza, though. He made short work of them.

Octopus Prime
10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
I think I fought them once.

I didn't survive to tell the tale.

Torgo
10-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes I have.

It didn't go so well.

Aeonus
10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
If I have, it was many playthroughs ago and I've repressed the emotional trauma. Though it would explain why I wake up in the middle of the night screaming "No Earth Slash! Earth Slash bad!"

Zef
10-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Oh, I remember them. It was easily one of the hardest battles in the game, but I just though of them as a fluke. As in, "Oh, the game rustled up a whole bunch of monks for me to fight in this random battle. Weird." I just did my best to keep everyone spread out and well away from the monks' range, and peppered them with spells/skills, ranged weaponry, and the occasional Jump to finish them off.

Now, the flocks of varicolored chocobos, those are the stuff nightmares are made of. Multiple castings of Choco Ball and Choco Meteor in the same turn? Aiyeeee!

Coinspinner
10-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Instead of doing a team theme I'm gonna do another Single Class Challenge or some other challenge. I haven't done Squire, Time Mage, Thief, Mediator, Calculator, Bard, or Mime... the hard boring ones. I started Chemist and Priest but found them too boring to finish. I actually got Archer past Riovanes castle but got stuck again at Murond Death City.

I've always been quite fond of Geomancers.

Which is weird since FF3 is the only game they haven't been utterly worthless in.

...no. ;_;

I ran into them twice. Or more than that maybe, but I only remember two encounters. Once I had a super team that stomped those guys flat. The next time I sent out Dragoner Reis, Archer Rafa, and Bard Orlandu for training and found myself confronting impossible odds.

Jeanie
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Now, the flocks of varicolored chocobos, those are the stuff nightmares are made of. Multiple castings of Choco Ball and Choco Meteor in the same turn? Aiyeeee!

I ran into that group during the Prologue or first chapter or whatever it is at the beginning of the game shortly after they send you to defend the town. Been a while since I played last, but I think those Chocobos(es? Like Tomatoes?) scared me away.

*Kweh?*

GAHHHHH!!!!!

Torgo
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I remember that one as well.

FFT could really benefit from a random battle generator: Pick a battlefield, some variables that determine difficulty, and go to town.

gamin
10-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Chocobo parties are the worst. Choco Meteor and Choco Ball hit hard and the Yellows are around to heal once you start chipping away at them. Unless you can take the Yellows out quickly, you won't last very long.

Torgo
10-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Trying using those same chocobos yourself though and you'll be in for a life of tears.

Son of Sinistar
10-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I remember the Bariaus Hill Super Monster Battle, never could beat that fight. Didn't help that Overly Powerful Character's attacks (Don't remember if this character is a plot point) would heal certain hydras instead of hurting them. The chocobo they give you is only good for a brief distraction. Someday, I will have my revenge...Someday.

Sprite
10-07-2007, 04:33 PM
I have heard horror stories about the slowdown in this game. Mostly from a friend who pirated the game, so I'm wondering if his knavery had something to do with it. Any truth to these claims?

Also, hooray! I will be able to buy this game because I was commissioned to play at a couple of 8 a.m. church services. If only there was some way to play online with Talking Time people...

Double also, is it weird that the main reason I like Cloud is because of this game?

gamin
10-07-2007, 09:32 PM
If only there was some way to play online with Talking Time people...

I've been reading information on XLink (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/), a tunneling service that pipes ad-hoc wireless online. When I get Final Fantasy Tactics I'm going to be spending some time trying to get it up and running on my computer, if I succeed, I'll post details about it. I have a Mac that doubles as a PC, and will try it on both sides.

mazoboom
10-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I have heard horror stories about the slowdown in this game. Mostly from a friend who pirated the game, so I'm wondering if his knavery had something to do with it. Any truth to these claims?

I'm guessing he pirated the Japanese version which gained a little notoriety for its slowdown that was supposedly fixed in the American version.

Sprite
10-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm guessing he pirated the Japanese version which gained a little notoriety for its slowdown that was supposedly fixed in the American version.

Nope, the European version, which gained notoriety for its presumed inability to interface with the American version I plan on buying. I'm guessing he's over exaggerating the issue, since no reviews really seem all that perturbed by it.

Balrog
10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
You know you played this game too much when you quit using Counter and Hamedo because you don't receive JP when you counter-attack.

Also, Calculators.

shivam
10-08-2007, 09:42 AM
counter is my favorite ability ever. I feel naked without it.

Mightyblue
10-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Blade Grasp was always my favorite, just because it was so broken. Grab bullets? Don't mind if I do...

Torgo
10-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Always more of a Auto-Potion or Damage Split man, myself... well, I would be a Damage Split man if I used a Calculator long enough to get it.

Also a fan of Dragon Spirit. (Wait, is that a countering ability? I can't recall...)

Coinspinner
10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes, it is.

I love Counter Flood because it tends to petrify my own party members and leave the enemy mostly unharmed.

Sanagi
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
The weirdly named "Abandon" was also good - it doubled your evade scores. Combined with something like the gold Escutcheon, it was stupid... It also worked no matter what your brave stat was, so hello Rafa.

Torgo
10-09-2007, 12:16 AM
I've always found it a little disappointing that the player needs to waste the support ability slot to use Talk Skill outside of the Mediator class. Can anyone even think of a reasonable excuse as to why? They're hardly gamebreaking. Heck, the only time I could get Mimic Daravon to work was when one of the people I was using it on was myself, and one of the people it always worked on was me.

Sanagi
10-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I've always found it a little disappointing that the player needs to waste the support ability slot to use Talk Skill outside of the Mediator class. Can anyone even think of a reasonable excuse as to why? They're hardly gamebreaking. Heck, the only time I could get Mimic Daravon to work was when one of the people I was using it on was myself, and one of the people it always worked on was me.
I thought they only needed a support ability to talk to monsters.

Fer
10-09-2007, 03:15 AM
I haven't read a single post of this thread (even though I have played and finished the ps1 version, I still fear spoilers regarding the parts that I didn't understand), and I just want to know how bad the load times are. Thank you.

Torgo
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I would let you know, but I have to wait until Thursday when I get paid to pick it up. (NO! I'll be a whole three or four hours behind you all!)

Coinspinner
10-09-2007, 11:59 AM

To make the Job itself even remotely useful maybe? Dunno. But you can still talk to humans, which is all I use that for. Chemist and Item Throw is the same deal.

Jakanden
10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I haven't read a single post of this thread (even though I have played and finished the ps1 version, I still fear spoilers regarding the parts that I didn't understand), and I just want to know how bad the load times are. Thank you.

Perhaps Jeremy could shed light on this one since he was on the review crew. I won't know until it gets delivered to me later this week (I did 2 day delivery this time)

Eddie
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
As much as I've been dying to jump into one of these Fun Club events, FFT probably won't be one of them. I was playing the game not too too long ago, so my desire to replay it hasn't quite resurfaced.

I played it under a special rule: My levels couldn't be higher than the enemies. Let me tell you, that is absolute hell in some of the early battles. Still, if you allow yourself to use Calculators, the game becomes pretty simple after you manage to acquire them.

- Eddie

Ben1842
10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I just got the PSP game. So I'm off to play it. Sure wish I had the PSP with video out though.

Can't wait to see how changed it is.

Shadax
10-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Yar, same here. The PSP version, when it comes out, will be the third version of this game I have owned. First one got lent to a friend and was never seen again. Second was the Greatest Hits rerelease version to replace the lost copy. I don't think I've ever owned/will own so many copies of the same game before.

I bought Street Fighter Alpha 3 no less than five times.
The PS1 version when it went to Greatest Hits (ouch)
The Dreamcast version at launch
Another Dreamcast version when my original dissapeared, this time for like six dollars
the GBA "port" (OUCH)
and Street Fighter Alpha Collection for the PS2 (Which got traded in for Soul Nomad 12 hours ago)

I'm so lucky that I don't have a PSP, or else we'd be looking at an even half-dozen.

Jakanden
10-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Hopefully mine will be here today or tomorrow.

djSyndrome
10-10-2007, 07:40 AM
and Street Fighter Alpha Collection for the PS2 (Which got traded in for Soul Nomad 12 hours ago)

You too? I appreciated what they were trying to do, but after being spoiled by the DC version's extra options, I just can't be bothered to play 'only' the arcade game any longer. Plus, I have 2 Green Goblins and zero PS2 joysticks, making the choice easy.

That said, I've bought it about as many times as you have:

SFZ3 (PS1) - sold
SFZ3 (Saturn) - sold, wish I didn't :(
SFA3 (PS1, to have in English) - still have
SFZ3 (DC) - still have
SFZ Double Upper (PSP) - sold
SFA Collection (PS2) - sold

So I started a new game of FFT (PS1) last night. And I put it down after about 20 minutes to play more DDS1. For some reason, I just can't bear reading the 'old' translation knowing that a new, much improved one is sitting on a UPS truck in town somewhere.

gamin
10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Got my copy during lunch break at work, and have been playing it every free moment since. Currently mulling over what to do with my initial generics. I like their names well enough, especially Bruce, who's sure to become my right hand man. I'm wondering though if I should dump some of them or make new ones.

SkywardShadow
10-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I have it, and I am in love with this translation.

Sapper Gopher
10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
They got rid of the attract modes! Heresy! It is possible now to understand the events of the 50-year war, thanks to the new translation and the bartender who must be reading from a textbook.

Octopus Prime
10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I kept most of my Generics, but I created a new one simply to rename him... Snapper: The King of Thieves!

On that note: Does Concentration work with Thief abilities? Because if so, that would be VERY useful.

Torgo
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
If only it could be so simple. However, it is not to be. You're stuck with statuses like Sleep and Stop to raise your chances.

Eirikr
10-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Is this sound test in this version?

reibeatall
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I picked it up the same time I got Orange Box today, and I've only opened this one up. I'm about to lay down in bed and play some FFT. I hope I don't get sucked in, but I'm sure I will.

shivam
10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
I just started, and already i mourn the loss of Rad.

Jakanden
10-11-2007, 06:10 AM
I got it last night and already put in over 5 hours. I kept all my starting characters and have just been leveling like crazy. I was never one to min/max or plan stuff out and I just take things as they come which usually works well.

The new translation is indeed awesome. Perhaps I will actually finish the game this time. I have never gotten past the 20 hour mark before since I tend to get bored around then.

Octopus Prime
10-11-2007, 06:15 AM
If only it could be so simple. However, it is not to be. You're stuck with statuses like Sleep and Stop to raise your chances.

Well crap. Looks like Snapper... KING OF THIEVES will just be a regular ol' Thief.

But king to me.

TheSL
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
I started last night and have blown through 3/4 of the first chapter just using Squires and Chemists. I don't know if its just because I played all the way to chapter 4 in the Japanese version of this(thus having everything fresh in my mind) but everything seems pretty easy even without variety. I eventually plan on switching to my Monk, 2x Black Mage, Oracle(or whatever they're called now), and random story character(was Mustadio/Luso when I played in JP).

Savathun
10-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I've had similar experiences with Tactics. Like when I got stuck on that one boss (guess which one. Three guesses, but you'll only need one) and had to restart, everything was much easier. So it's probably just the familiarity and stuff.

But hopefully, since it's been so long since I've played the game, it'll still be a bit tricky for me.

TheSL
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh, two more things:

-Oh god, why switch the O button to the X button after I've logged probably 1000 hours in the old control scheme? Annoying, but hardly game-breaking.

-The new translation really does make it like a new game. Its really weird to watch the same animations that you know and love and basically re-mold your impressions of the characters though the enhanced dialog. Algus (Argath? Is that right?) is still a dick, though.

Jakanden
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I started last night and have blown through 3/4 of the first chapter just using Squires and Chemists.

I am on Lenalia Plataeu and already have a Dragoon. I am just in the mood to level right so I figure I will do that until I get tired of it and then move on with the story.

Excitemike
10-11-2007, 09:23 AM
-Oh god, why switch the O button to the X button after I've logged probably 1000 hours in the old control scheme? Annoying, but hardly game-breaking.

This is driving me nuts. We need a universal button standard.

VsRobot
10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Do you guys have any protips for a first time player? I don't want any spoilers, but if there is something I absolutely have to do to get something awesome in the game (similar to the item in FF12 that disappears if you open a chest early in the game) please LMK. I've read references to unlockable characters. Do they unlock based on playtime or story events, or are they optional quests that I have to do? I don't want to miss out on something awesome if I don't have to.

I've only played the first two encounters so far, but I'm about to dive in for some extended playtime this evening.

ringworm
10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Started last night, spent more time than any sane person should have naming new characters after real life friends and making sure they had correct zodiac signs to their real life counterparts (I actually had to call a couple of people for their birthdays, one of my female friends almost hung up on me when I finally admitted why).

I literally haven't played this game in something like 8 years so that combined with the new translation makes it seem like new again. I'm about halfway through the first chapter I think, and in love all over again.

TheSL
10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
I've read references to unlockable characters. Do they unlock based on playtime or story events, or are they optional quests that I have to do? I don't want to miss out on something awesome if I don't have to.

I think the first character that doesn't just walk right into your party doesn't show up until chapter 4, so you don't have to worry for a bit.

As far as tips for playing goes, just go with the flow and experiment. This, much like FFXII, benefits from having deep customization where each person's play through the game could be entirely different depending on what abilities and strategies they focus on.

Jakanden
10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Since I have never actually finished the game, I don't know the answer to this question and I know someone here does. Does the date have any effect other than zodiacs? Like, do I have to have the game done via a certain date, or can it roll over into a new year with no problems?

shivam
10-11-2007, 09:51 AM
changing some of the names feels really arbitrary. there was no reason not to leave him algus, for instance.

Zef
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Do you guys have any protips for a first time player?
It was mentioned earlier, but always, always keep at least two save files, and one of them must be on the World Map. There are many consecutive battles in the game that won't let you go back to the map to level up or regroup, and there's a particular one (at Riovanes Castle, though the new translation might have altered the name) which is the main sticking point for almost all players.

That said, I suggest you have Ramza learn Auto-Potion ASAP, but, really, as long as you do the Backup Save File thing, you should feel free to do your own thing. Also, someone remind me... the original (crossover) hidden character and the optional couple could be unlocked at any time in Chapter 4, right? IIRC, I always started their sequences as soon as they were available, but I don't remember any arbitrary limits that screwed you out of getting the characters (short of initiating the endgame battle sequence, that is.)

shivam
10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
i remember (crossover) requiring some exact timing or you miss the start of it, iirc.

also, JP Boost for everyone. trust me.

Balrog
10-11-2007, 12:37 PM
This is driving me nuts. We need a universal button standard.

I would be happy if they got the movement thing the same on TRPG's. I have to turn my controller sideways to get used to playing Disgaea after playing FFT for so long :(

Jakanden
10-11-2007, 12:40 PM
changing some of the names feels really arbitrary. there was no reason not to leave him algus, for instance.

Yeah, some of the skill name changes have thrown me for a loop.

Seconded.

TheSL
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM

I'm a big advocate of equip armor or throw item for mages.

Octopus Prime
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
JP Boost cannot be recommended strongly enough. It's easily one of the most useful abilities in the game.

And it's easy to get too.

MCBanjoMike
10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I would be happy if they got the movement thing the same on TRPG's. I have to turn my controller sideways to get used to playing Disgaea after playing FFT for so long :(

No kidding! And I really prefer the left=up-left school of thought from FFT, so I'm finding that pretty annoying. At least you can use the analog sticks for most operations, which works pretty well when the characters are a bit spread out.

Um, I'm talking about Disgaea, if that's not clear.

Eddie
10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Here's my "pro-tips" for new players (note I might get some of the ability named wrong):

1. Squires: Get Move +1 and Gained JP Up (which is pretty much your mainstay until you no longer need to gain JP); you can ignore the rest of their abilities.

2. Chemist: The only abilities you really need are Potion and Pheonix Downs. The rest are just gravy; I wouldn't worry about this class too much until you can purchase guns. Remember: Throwing a potion at someone who's only 1hp from max HP is still useful. Auto Potion can be really good early.

3. Knights: Speed Break is really the only good ability they have (useful for whittling a single enemy's speed away so you can spend time gaining JP by smacking yourselves). Can equip Knight Swords, which is useful later with the Ninja's Two Swords ability. Their reaction ability (Weapon Guard) is cheap, and it's better than nothing for some characters.

4. Archers: Speed Save (their reaction ability) is really their only good ability. You can use it to turn anyone into a speed machine, simply by tossing enough rocks at them. Concentrate can be useful in some instances.

5. Monk: Great class. Abilities to get are Earth Slash, Wave Fist, and Chakra. Everything else is just gravy.

6. Thief: Having someone mastered in all thier Job abilities is a good thing. All the steal abilities are useful, especially "Steal Heart" early. Move +2 is one of the best movement abilities in the game, especially for women. Note: You can use Catch to get rare items VERY VERY late in the game!

7. Geomancer: Not a terrific class, but easy to master and their zero-mana ability makes them a lot better than most classes, and they can use swords. Get the terrain abilities you know you'll use most, Water Ball and Hell Ivy being pretty common.

8. Lancer: I love the class, but honestly, they're a little weak aside from the ability to equip spears and heavy armor. Still, can dish massive damage with a little preparation. Ignore Height and the Time Mage's "Teleport" can be mostly interchangeable, but the nod goes to Teleport.

9. Dancer/Bard: Both aren't very strong classes, but their respective speed up/speed down abilities can be useful if you're looking to prolong a fight. The Bard's "Move +3" ability is obviously awesome, but restricted to male characters.

10. Priest/White Mage: The Cure spells, Raise, and Holy are your bread and butter here. Don't ignore Protect and Shell however, as they're useful for eeking out a few more JP here and there.

11. Wizard/Black Mage: You can get away with just "Fire, Ice 2, Bolt 3," with Flare for later. Given the choice, Ice or Bolt is probably better bets. Magic Attack Up can make your spells brutal.

12. Oracle: Much maligned, they're still useful if not dominating. Blind, Silence Song, and Paralyze are your top picks here, with Pray Faith/Doubt Faith being useful in the long run.

13. Time Mage: Haste! Don't Move and Slow are good picks too; Mp Switch (excellent with Calculators), Short Charge (excellent with um, magic), and Teleport are all great abilities too. One thing about Teleport: your successrate of teleporting anywhere is determined by your characters 'max move' rating. If you can move 5 squares (ignoring height) then you can teleport anywhere within 5 squares with a 100% probability. Each square after that reduces your chance by 10% (100% -> 90% -> 81% -> 73% -> 64%....) so equip footwear that increases your Move stat (also: Teleporting NINJAs)

14. Mediator: Only good for two things, which are recruiting Monsters and raising/lowering your Brave and Faith. Wait until you can use guns so at least you can shoot people.

15. Summoner: You can get by with only Moogle and the Elemental Trio (Shiva, Ramuh and Ifrit). With the Time Mage's Short Charge you can more reliably use the other summons. Their Half MP ability is alright, but you can do better.

16. Samurai: An incredibly useful class; Blade Grasp is one of the best (if not best) Reaction Abilities, they can equip heavy armor, and their Class abilities are a lot more diverse than they look.

17. Ninja: "Two Swords" is the real payoff here. The only throw abilities you need are "Throw Shuriken" and 'Throw Ball."

18. Calculator: The most broken class in the game. Have fun!

19. Mime: Can be fun, but other classes are more reliable.

Tactics:

Get Ramza with the following abilities to make him a killing machine: Two Swords, Blade Grasp, and Move +2/+3. Turn him into a Squire, and give him two Knight Swords and have him be awesome. I like the Samurai "Draw Out" ability with him, but you can suit to your own flavor here. A Thief's abilities works wonderfully well also.

Have another character be your "Medic." Mustadio makes an excellent Chemist, with his Snipe ability. As for a generic character, A Summoner with the White Mage ability isn't too bad, with Short Charge, Teleport, and Blade Grasp/Auto Potion. Alternatively a Time Mage with White Mage abilities can work too.

A second 'tank' like character. Basically, someone else to mix it up in melee. Ninjas with the Blade Grasp ability excel here. Barring Blade Grasp, Samurai and Dragoons make decent substitutes, as do anyone with Heavy Armor and some form of 'ranged attack.'

A Thief. Either as a "thief" or someone with the Steal ability as their second ability. It doesn't matter if you've already got someone with the steal ability, because two can do it twice as fast!

Um, okay I'm done.

- Eddie

Sapper Gopher
10-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't bother with anything but time mages as far as magic goes. There's a delay when casting, there are other ways of healing and doing damage, and they're fragile. You can equip armor, but that cuts into your MP. I took old Rad down the summoner route in the original before finally ditching him in chapter 4. Occasions when the enemy was clumped up enough to make a summon monster worth it were rare.

Daydreamer
10-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't bother with anything but time mages as far as magic goes. There's a delay when casting, there are other ways of healing and doing damage, and they're fragile. You can equip armor, but that cuts into your MP. I took old Rad down the summoner route in the original before finally ditching him in chapter 4. Occasions when the enemy was clumped up enough to make a summon monster worth it were rare.

See, there in lies your problem - you don't bring summoners and black mages because they are useful, you bring them because they are COOL. You can't measure the awesomeness value of the first time you take cast a Target-Character Bahamut on your own tank, and run him right into the middle of the enemy's ranks.

Octopus Prime
10-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Blade Grasp works really well with jobs that have crappy defense.

I kind of wish I didn't play FFTA so much now, as the abilities in that worked slightly differently then they do here (Concentrate works on all abilities instead of just attacks, for example)

Nicholai
10-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm just a few hours into the PSP game, but as for tips and classes and such I, for the most part, agree with Eddie.

Personally I quickly try to get anyone who will be in melee often to the Monk class so they can learn counter. Also, I do quite enjoy a Geomancer as they are actually rather useful once you know a decent amount of their abilities and their attacks are actually pretty strong, especially relatively early on in the game. Although I tend to start the game with several people in magic-based classes I find that as soon as a few decent characters join you, Mustadio etc., that I tend to have one character that is the black mage/white mage and time mage/oracle.

Coinspinner
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't bother with anything but mages until Chapter 4. Fighters are just too weak and slow and melee attacks leave you too exposed. My teams are all "OMG LIGHTNING BOLTZ PEW PEW PEW".

As I recall FFT let's you change this. Check the options.

Since I have never actually finished the game, I don't know the answer to this question and I know someone here does. Does the date have any effect other than zodiacs? Like, do I have to have the game done via a certain date, or can it roll over into a new year with no problems?

Certain minor events occur on specific months, seasons, or dates. Mainly propositions, or whatever they are called now. I believe there's also a new event between Mustadio and Agrias on her birthday.

shivam
10-11-2007, 11:24 PM
fuck the dorter slums. seriously. fucking rat bastard archers.

gamin
10-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Dorter's always the first hard fight for me, usually I'm rushing through those first battles, and suddenly my Squires and Chemists are up against Black Mages and Archers and die swiftly.

shivam
10-12-2007, 12:12 AM
yeah, so i'm just running back and forth between mandalia and sweegy woods (stupid name changes!) leveling up my guys. I find that having a mage or two myself is great for leveling the odds on that playing field.

Rosencrantz
10-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Okay, a couple of things.

Summoning is good (at least as a secondary skill) just for GOLEM. Anytime you're fighting mostly human enemies - non-magical human enemies - Golem will save your ass, especially for the first half of the game.

For the brand-new players, when you use the Dragoon class, skip straight to the final Jump skills in Horizontal and Vertical (in that order, too). The other ones are 100% useless once you learn those.

sraymonds
10-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Ug, I'm having trouble with the second battle in the game, the one where you first meet Argath. His favorite tactic seems to be dying inbetween two rocks and making it harder for my team to get to the enemies.

gamin
10-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Ug, I'm having trouble with the second battle in the game, the one where you first meet Argath. His favorite tactic seems to be dying inbetween two rocks and making it harder for my team to get to the enemies.

If you're not already, say that your priority is to destroy the Brigade instead of protecting Argath. Otherwise, your objective becomes saving him from death, which can be hard given his AI.

Jakanden
10-12-2007, 06:26 AM
yeah, so i'm just running back and forth between mandalia and sweegy woods (stupid name changes!) leveling up my guys. I find that having a mage or two myself is great for leveling the odds on that playing field.

I am so over-leveled right now. I have two mages with Flare and I am still halfway through chapter 1.

Octopus Prime
10-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Not only is Argath a huge prick, but he also soaks up a character spot in battle that would better go towards someone who doesn't suck and die constantly.

Screw you, Argath.

TheSL
10-12-2007, 07:03 AM
I am so over-leveled right now. I have two mages with Flare and I am still halfway through chapter 1.

Conversely, I'm done with chapter one and the my classes are 2x Monk, Knight, Chemist, and White Mage. One of the monks is on the path to dancer(just for the hell of it), the White Mage is destined to be an Oracle, and beyond that I'm not sure what I want to do, maybe Chemist->Black Mage once he learns throw item.

shivam
10-12-2007, 10:29 AM

what the fuck.

mr_bungle700
10-12-2007, 10:23 PM

I understand this malady. I'm at the beginning of chapter 1 and the characters in my main party already have several Jobs mastered.

Someone needs to stop me.

gamin
10-12-2007, 10:40 PM
One thing I've always had trouble with is keeping characters outside my main 4 favorites in line with the rest of the party, so they'll be useful in Propositions later on. What are some good methods to raise low level characters up to the general party average?

TheSL
10-12-2007, 11:39 PM
One thing I've always had trouble with is keeping characters outside my main 4 favorites in line with the rest of the party, so they'll be useful in Propositions later on. What are some good methods to raise low level characters up to the general party average?

Well, if you get in a fight and kill every enemy but one you can then have 4x low level characters gang up on your one higher level one and beat him/her up. As long as they actually hit, they'll get a good amount of exp for it. Oh, and for the love of god take off any counter moves that high level character might have equipped.

Aeonus
10-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Wow, I'd forgotten how much "fun" Riovanes can be. Fight two can be cheesed like mad with Auto-potion and 30-40 Yells (it carries over to the second part!), and (at least in the PSX version) there's a rather difficult-to-setup AI exploit where if you're at the far end of the stage from him, you can run back and forth, and he'll copy you-- without moving closer-- giving you all the time in the world to boost your speed and attack into the stratosphere.
And then fight three, which you can easily lose before getting a chance to move because Guest AI sometimes lacks any self-preservation instinct. Also, the even-more-broken-than-Math-Skill Assassin ability set.

Sanagi
10-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Also, the even-more-broken-than-Math-Skill Assassin ability set.
Assassins are ridiculously good, but they can't kill everybody on the screen in one move.

Mightyblue
10-13-2007, 09:02 AM
All they have to kill is the person you're trying to protect, y'know.

shivam
10-13-2007, 11:09 AM
man, this game is as fun as i remember. i'm so glad for this fact.

my generics have super shit brave and faith though. i'm pondering rerolling, but i dont want to have to relevel the new guys.

colinp
10-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I picked this game up yesterday and am having the hardest time with the bloody random battles at the very beginning of the game. I can't even make it to Siege Weld without getting slaughtered! I miraculously just survived my first random battle, but only after dying three-four times, and I had to use all of my potions.

Am I doing something wrong? How the hell do I get a good start in this game??

Mightyblue
10-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't fight one on one. Stack your teammates on a single opponent until you beat them. Attacking from the sides or back will give you a higher damage and hit rate. Attacking from higher spaces will also do the same, but attacking from lower spaces will reduce your damage/hit rates.

Several key abilities early on are JP Up and Throw Stone (both Squire abilities). This gives your team an easy distance attack and the JP command cuts down on the training you need to do to master abilities/classes.

reibeatall
10-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I really want to try Rendezvous, but I don't know anybody else near me that has the game.

colinp
10-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Don't fight one on one. Stack your teammates on a single opponent until you beat them. Attacking from the sides or back will give you a higher damage and hit rate. Attacking from higher spaces will also do the same, but attacking from lower spaces will reduce your damage/hit rates.

Several key abilities early on are JP Up and Throw Stone (both Squire abilities). This gives your team an easy distance attack and the JP command cuts down on the training you need to do to master abilities/classes.

Thanks Mightyblue! I just got everyone who could to learn JP Up, and I started to play a bit more defensively and managed to survive through Siedge Weald. Finally! I know only a few of my units can do Throw Stone right now, so I'll focus on that after they have JP Up... Hmm, might be a better idea to get Stone out of the way first eh?

Mightyblue
10-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Some other tips:

Check out the AT listing (or whatever the PSP ver. calls it). It should be in the system menu you get from backing out of a character's command screen. This will tell you which character is going to act first, when spells/abilities finish charging, etc.

If you hit the cancel button on a character on the map, it will bring up their movement radius. You can use that knowledge to figure out which of your characters might be threatened on that char's next turn, and get them out of the way.

You can pull up status and ability screens for enemy characters in battle. Just back out of the command menu and put the cursor over an enemy and hit accept. It will bring up a mini menu with the Status command. With human characters you even check what abilities they have mastered by hitting accept once more while in the status screen. Monsters don't have a job screen, but their attack abilities will be listed where a human character's action/reaction/support/move abilities are on the main status screen.

Hitting select on a menu will allow you to move a mini cursor around the various terms and abilities, and if you hit accept it will pop up a help message telling you what's what. This applies to practically everything, including map tiles on the battle screen and even on character's names on the status screen. If you're unsure about anything, just hit select. Odds are you'll get a help message.

Savathun
10-13-2007, 12:54 PM
So I just bought the game today (and stupid Gamestop has to have the case for Dracula X sitting next to it, even though I know it's not out yet. *Sigh*), and I'm wondering, is it easy to get Balthier and whatever other secret characters? Am I likely to miss them or need a guide to get them or what?

And I sure hope there are hidden super bosses in this one. I guess there probably aren't, but I'll be thrilled if I run into Famfrit or Belial or something. Even though, I guess.. Well, nevermind, spoiler territory, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

shivam
10-13-2007, 02:45 PM
dude, charm heart + female thief = even better than before =)

Octopus Prime
10-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm wondering, is it easy to get Balthier and whatever other secret characters? Am I likely to miss them or need a guide to get them or what?

Looks pretty well the same as it was to get the secret charcters in the original. Wait until Chapter 4, go to a certain town, listen to a certain rumor, fight a battle and BAM!

DudePal
10-13-2007, 03:56 PM
hmm, talking time confessional here: I have the original FFT just never played through it, but really would like to get WoL to play on my PsP. However Disgaea is coming out on PsP soon too.....hmmm is it totally worth it to get the psp over the original? Or should i just get all the SRPG'S and have a very sad wallet?

shivam
10-13-2007, 04:00 PM
honestly? the original is just as good as the remake. You really can't go wrong.

How many generics do you folks keep around?

Swordian
10-13-2007, 04:28 PM
honestly? the original is just as good as the remake. You really can't go wrong.

I keep 4 around and I tend to hire new ones at the start of each playthrough and give them the names of my original generics. Screw the story characters.

colinp
10-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Things have started to click and I am doing much better now. It is kind of amazing the night and day difference between this game and Jeanne (which only comes to mind since I have been playing that recently). What is even more amazing is the phenomenal sprite work during the cutscenes in FFT. They did a lot of really neat stuff (ie unique animations for certain scenes) that just makes the characters in Jeanne stiff.

Thanks again for your help MightyBlue!

Octopus Prime
10-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Honestly, with the changes made to the PSP version, I now look at the PS1 version and LAUGH! Really, the genuinely exceptional translation alone makes it worthwhile.

As I understand, Afternoon of Darkness is pretty well unchanged from Hour of Darkness (except with a new Etna mode, or some such). So if it's a matter of you having naught played Disgaea originally versus playing FFT again:

...well, as much as I liked Disgaea, it didn't have anything over FFT gameplay wise. Storyline is another matter altogether.

gamin
10-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm loving this new translation. I'm learning things in this story that I had no idea about in the original version. Like the Corpse Brigade bandits--in this version, it's made clear that they were once a civilian militia that fought in the previous war and received no compensation from the nobles for their duty in the war, and so now they'll take it by force. That stuff went completely over my head in the previous version's text, it had just seemed like a generic class struggle before.

Paul le Fou
10-13-2007, 06:03 PM
...well, as much as I liked Disgaea, it didn't have anything over FFT gameplay wise. Storyline is another matter altogether.

Wait. Are you saying that FFT had the better gameplay and the worse story Between it and Disgaea? Because that's just... I don't see how that can even be considered possible. It should be the exact opposite.

gamin
10-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Wait. Are you saying that FFT had the better gameplay and the worse story Between it and Disgaea? Because that's just... I don't see how that can even be considered possible. It should be the exact opposite.

Nah, I get it. As far as gameplay goes, FFT has Disgaea totally beat because it's not divided into enemy and player phases. Everything is continuous and time matters a lot when casting spells and using abilities. It's also less of a grind fest, with more noticeable rewards for fewer hours of play, which IMO is a good thing.

Story is a different matter--they both accomplish what they set out to do, which are rather opposite things, FFT's serious Middle Age European story as opposed to Disgaea's jrpg parody and comedy.

Octopus Prime
10-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Nah, I get it. As far as gameplay goes, FFT has Disgaea totally beat because it's not divided into enemy and player phases. Everything is continuous and time matters a lot when casting spells and using abilities. It's also less of a grind fest, with more noticeable rewards for fewer hours of play, which IMO is a good thing.

Story is a different matter--they both accomplish what they set out to do, which are rather opposite things, FFT's serious Middle Age European story as opposed to Disgaea's jrpg parody and comedy.

Precisely. The storyline is a total matter of preference.

Also, I much prefer how FFT's skill and job system is handled over Disgaea's. But again, matter of preference.

Jakanden
10-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I am finally getting along with the story after spending far too long leveling up and when I read "Spoony bard" in Weigraf's rant, I lol'ed.

Savathun
10-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm loving this new translation. I'm learning things in this story that I had no idea about in the original version. Like the Corpse Brigade bandits--in this version, it's made clear that they were once a civilian militia that fought in the previous war and received no compensation from the nobles for their duty in the war, and so now they'll take it by force. That stuff went completely over my head in the previous version's text, it had just seemed like a generic class struggle before.

Same here. I never sympathized with them in the original, but I find myself doing so quite a bit now.

Torgo
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I usually keep four of them myself. Between them and Ramza I can usually cover the bases I want to.

I'm at the first battle of Chapter 3, with characters ranging from 14 (Mustadio) to 27 (Ramza and my Super Awesome Monk). I kind of feel bad for the for my generic I was training as a Thief since I've more or less cashiered him out for Agrias (which deep down I knew was going to happen anyway) and am going to train either her or my Monk in the fine art of lifting items. I'm pretty much just playing it on the seat of my pants. I'm not following any set strategy or party build.

New localization is, as is already pretty well covered, fantastic, if a little superfluous at times. (Does Gafgarion really need two 'f's? Did Bethla Garrison really need to be changed to WhateverTheCrap it is now?) I'm kind of 'eh' on Ramza's voice actor; He's kinda whiny. That said, I love the dialouge itself and the new scenes I've come across.

Why do all the spell and attack animaitons chug when the Zodiac Brave transformation animation is perfectly fine?

Anyway, playing it, loving it. Gonna go play some more in a few minutes.

Octopus Prime
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I just reached the point where I can first send people on missions.

And I have to admit "The stars were with us from the outset" is a poor replacement for "I have a good feeling!"

Also, Ramza is an unstoppable juggernaut of death since making him a Monk capable of wearing heavy armor

Paul le Fou
10-13-2007, 07:16 PM
I always preferred Disgaea's gameplay, in that it had a lot of fun additions - throwing characters, geo squares (especially the combos), combos and team attacks, more characters and more opponents per map, more pronounced strengths/weaknesses, etc. I also liked the class system there a little more than the job system (although it's really close), the unlockables, the different versions of each class, transmigrations, etc. It is sort of a grindfest, though personally I always liked the battles in Disgaea enough that it didn't really get to be a problem for me.

I can see what you're saying about the continuous AT meter and casting times, but I felt that Disgaea's other strengths overcame that.

On the other hand, I didn't really like Disgaea's story too much - only vaguely amusing at best, rather clichéd once you got past the demon/angel/human setup. Tactics, on the other hand, has a story of the highest caliber (especially now with a real translation).

One of my favorite things about Disgaea over Tactics was that the generic characters were just as good as (or better than) the story characters - I like using the generics in Tactics but at even levels and with similar skills the story characters are just better than the generics. Using a team of regular characters was an equally viable option instead of something you did because Orlandu made the game too easy the last time you played through it.

But again, like you said, it's all preference. And we're comparing what are, in my eyes, probably two of the best TRPGs ever, so it's gonna be back and forth either way. :P

gamin
10-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Anyway, playing it, loving it. Gonna go play some more in a few minutes.

This is why portable form is absolutely perfect for this game--my PSP is always ready on sleep mode, and I'll do a bit of work on the computer and then take a ten minute (spilling over longer oftentimes) session on the game, put it back to sleep and go back to whatever I was doing.

DudePal
10-13-2007, 07:42 PM
This is why portable form is absolutely perfect for this game--my PSP is always ready on sleep mode, and I'll do a bit of work on the computer and then take a ten minute (spilling over longer oftentimes) session on the game, put it back to sleep and go back to whatever I was doing.

That is the exact reason why i was thinking of purchasing, b/c with console versions you have to boot up and load, where as psp just sleep it. Although since pockets are a little tight i might just get castlevania in 2 weeks and then either play my console versions or wait until i have tons of extra money, like that will ever happen. It makes me a sad panda though especially with TRU have the buy 2 get 1 sale this week. Thanks for all the advice though!

Paul le Fou
10-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Has anyone actually gotten any of the new classes or secret characters yet? Those are the parts I'm actually most interested in from the remake.

Eirikr
10-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I also have a small request to those of you playing the game: to identify when a piece of music plays. Perhaps some of you already know.

The name of the piece is Requiem, a sample of it is here (http://home.comcast.net/~ericjonathansmith/requiemcast.mp3).

It is track 17 on disc 2 of the OST. It must play later on in the game judging by its placement on the tracklisting. I played through Tactics again a few months ago, but from that play and others, I can't for the life of me place where this track plays in game. I kinda stumbled onto it while listening to the OST. It was like finding an old $20 bill in your jacket!

Mightyblue
10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
That's one of the Chapter end/start themes. I'm thinking it's either the end of Ch. 3 or the start of 4.

Savathun
10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
What Gamin described is how I went about playing Tactics Advance. Good times, there. Or, if I couldn't sleep and was having a bad night, I could turn the game on and do a few quick battles to cool down.

Speaking of music, I think A Change of Pace is my favorite in FFT. It's the song that usually plays in battles where it's raining. Very heroic and adventurous.

Oh, and I've never played Disgaea and I'm thinking of getting it next, along with Jeanne D'arc (the gameplay, the graphics, and Kari Wahlgren as Jeanne are pretty good selling points) and I'm hoping I won't be too dissapointed.

EDIT: Then again, all they have to be is better than PoPoLoCrois and I'll be satisfied.

gamin
10-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Requiem plays at the end of Chapter 3--when Malak dies and is revived by Rafa.

DudePal
10-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm playing Jeanne right now and enjoying it a lot. Disgaea is amazing, i've clocked waayy too many hrs into Disgaea 1 and 2

Mightyblue
10-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Requiem plays at the end of Chapter 3--when Malak dies and is revived by Rafa.Haha, I was right! God, I've played that game too many times...

gamin
10-13-2007, 09:30 PM
One thing to make note of that I never noticed myself until a more recent playthrough is you can "talk" to the various members of your party in the Roster screen. Just press Select and go to a character's name. They'll all say something, even generics in the PSP version.

Torgo
10-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Has anyone actually gotten any of the new classes or secret characters yet? Those are the parts I'm actually most interested in from the remake.

One of my characters can become an Onion Knight, but since that character has mastered only two classes* and is about to be pushed out of my main group for Mustadio, I see no reason in bothering.

Dark Knight I would, but eh, maybe later.

*Actually, the most classes any of my characters has mastered at this point is three.

VsRobot
10-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Quick question:

Does MP regenerate? If now, what is the best way to refill MP - crystals/potions/an ability?

Torgo
10-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Nope, sure doesn't. Ethers are pretty scare until you can buy them... sometime in Chapter 2, I think. What I do is keep a Monk around and use Chakra, which heals hp and mp instantly at no cost to the user.

Alternatively, you could invest in the Mystic's 'Manafoot', which allows a character to recover a small amount of mp every time they move. That's sort of like regenerating it.

Savathun
10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
So... how often do you guys let your weaker characters attack your stronger ones to level up? I feel dirty doing it, but... I get over it.

Torgo
10-13-2007, 10:06 PM
I just had Mustadio shoot my ninja right in the gut a few minutes ago.

Suffice it to say I'm going to sleep comfortably this evening. It's not my fault they don't give special classes Focus/Accumulate.

Eirikr
10-13-2007, 10:42 PM
That's one of the Chapter end/start themes. I'm thinking it's either the end of Ch. 3 or the start of 4.

Requiem plays at the end of Chapter 3--.

Awesome! Thanks guys! No wonder I didn't remember it, given the characters you named there, gamin.

Torgo
10-14-2007, 03:07 AM
So, uh, does anyone else have Luso yet? I only ask because I'm wondering if it's a set encounter for the point I'm at or if it just has a random chance of happening.

I haven't used him yet, and I'm not entirely sure I'm going to bother. I mean, there really isn't a lot to him. He is as has been described: Ramza Squire with an innate, no-need-to-equip Poaching skill. This will come in handy later on down the line, but I don't see anything worth pushing anyone out of my main party for.

On the plus side, yay for one more character with Yell/Tailwind.

Jakanden
10-14-2007, 05:54 AM
So... how often do you guys let your weaker characters attack your stronger ones to level up? I feel dirty doing it, but... I get over it.

Pretty much every battle.

ohGr
10-14-2007, 11:18 AM
If now, what is the best way to refill MP - crystals/potions/an ability?
The monk's Chakra ability refills a good chunk of MP.

shivam
10-14-2007, 11:41 AM
i've totally forgotten which classes to send on which missions. i'm a failure in life.

TheSL
10-14-2007, 12:49 PM
So, uh, does anyone else have Luso yet? I only ask because I'm wondering if it's a set encounter for the point I'm at or if it just has a random chance of happening.

I haven't used him yet, and I'm not entirely sure I'm going to bother. I mean, there really isn't a lot to him. He is as has been described: Ramza Squire with an innate, no-need-to-equip Poaching skill. This will come in handy later on down the line, but I don't see anything worth pushing anyone out of my main party for.

On the plus side, yay for one more character with Yell/Tailwind.

His event always happens in chapter 3 no matter what. Balthier, on the other hand, takes some work like Beowulf, Cloud, etc did on the original(checking rumors and such).

Torgo
10-14-2007, 12:51 PM
It doesn't help that everything has been renamed. Then again, I honestly never really paid propositions/errands much heed outside of 'Hey free JP!'

Which brings me to something that's always bothered me a little bit about the game, and that's the fact that it keeps an in-game calender. The 'We must hurry! Time is of the essence' events prevalent in the game are killed a little bit when your party can then spend three months cruising it fighting random battles.

Yeah, yeah, it's just a game, I know, but still, it kind of kills the sense of urgency in the plot just a tiny bit.

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
I had a 30 year old Ramza one game. That was the playthrough I decided to max out every story character's levels and master every job for them too.

Jakanden
10-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I had a 30 year old Ramza one game. That was the playthrough I decided to max out every story character's levels and master every job for them too.

I don't think I have ever done one of those "Max levels" or "100% completion" on anything. I just get bored too quick even of games I love.

I did try to do it for FF IV back in the day, but only got my characters in the 70's before I just went and beat it.

Savathun
10-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Jeez, this new translation's great.

I'm still on Chapter One, so it's the whole nobility vs. commoners thing. I love how Ramza tries every damn time to negotiate and, for pretty legitimate reasons, the Corpse Brigade can't or won't settle things in this way.

It reminds me of this acting exercise you do with a partner where you each have a goal in the improv scene and your goal conflicts with the other persons. You want to achieve yours and stop the other person from achieving theirs, but since they want the same thing, you're just stuck in a hard place until something finally gives, and it can get really ugly when it does.

shivam
10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I was so happy to run my fist through algus's face. this version really makes him into the hardcore asshole that he is.

Savathun
10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, definitely, asshole's the word I had in mind, too. I hope there's some cinematic of him getting run through, but hey, either way. I'm currently stuck on that fight because I somehow thought a white mage would be useful.

Sanagi
10-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Quick question:

Does MP regenerate? If now, what is the best way to refill MP - crystals/potions/an ability?
The monk's Chakra ability refills a good chunk of MP.
Yes.

Standard tactic for early game: Everyone stand around the monk. On level ground, though, or it doesn't work.

VsRobot
10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
That Chakra ability is a lifesaver, thanks guys.

Another question:

how does it divide up JP? If I'm a Monk, how am I getting JP for Black Mage, for example, and does taking a job up to level 8 have any benefit? Should I change jobs once I can't level up the job I'm in or can I "master" another job without doing that?

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Your job level determines job unlocks. The more advanced jobs sometimes require high job levels in several classes.

Octopus Prime
10-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Speaking of, what does it take to level up a job? Is it based on EXP or JP? Of all the many times I've played this game, I've never once understood it. And, If there's anything that'll be more unstoppable then Monk/Knight Ramza, it'll be unstoppable Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad Ramza.

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Once you hit a certain JP total for the class you'll level up. It was kinda odd in the original PS1 ver, since they reduced the JP costs for abilities so much that you tended to master jobs a lot sooner than you hit level 8.

Savathun
10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I didn't know you could mount Chocobos before now. I may have to let one of my generics sit out fights most of the time now just for that.

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 05:04 PM
The black chocos are the only ones worth it though, since they can fly.

shivam
10-14-2007, 06:59 PM
so what do onion knights do?

switchbeat
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Are the "guest" characters always uncontrollable? Delita is a dunce. He invariably kills himself within three or four moves, so I'd really like to reign him in a bit. I currently have him classed as a knight, so he isn't terribly weak, just stupid (or maybe the AI really believes he is really passionate to get his sister back?).

Sanagi
10-14-2007, 10:23 PM
The black chocos are the only ones worth it though, since they can fly.
And even that isn't good because you can just learn "Fly" and not give up a spot in your team. But you have to try it once just for the awesomeness.

Also, take a flying character to the Sweegy Woods and fly over the trees.

Also also, the not quite one-on-one battle with Gafgarion.

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it is kinda fun once in a while. Also, I think the red ones have Ignore Height too.

Coinspinner
10-14-2007, 10:56 PM
so what do onion knights do?

Move slowly and invincibly towards an enemy they will not reach.

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 10:59 PM
They apparently gain abilities as you master jobs too. So the more jobs you level and master, the more abilities your Onion Knights will have.

Or so I've been given to understand.

shivam
10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Are the "guest" characters always uncontrollable? Delita is a dunce. He invariably kills himself within three or four moves, so I'd really like to reign him in a bit. I currently have him classed as a knight, so he isn't terribly weak, just stupid (or maybe the AI really believes he is really passionate to get his sister back?).

if they're computer NPCs, yes you can't control them. and it doesn't matter anyway. let them do their silly shit and die, so that the real people in your party can earn the jps and stuff.

Torgo
10-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm currently stuck on that fight because I somehow thought a white mage would be useful.
Mine was totally useful.

if they're computer NPCs, yes you can't control them. and it doesn't matter anyway. let them do their silly shit and die, so that the real people in your party can earn the jps and stuff.
Alternatively, you can just kill them yourself and get some extra JP and exp out of the deal.

I'm currently in the pre-Riovaines grind, probably going to stop around 35; As each character hits it, I'll swap them out for another one that's been getting the shaft lately. Not exactly sure how I'm going to approach it yet though.