PDA

View Full Version : Dark Chocolate

Beefy Hits
08-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Hersheys is good, but can be pricey.

It's supposed to be good for you, but I can't remember why.

Wolfgang
08-25-2014, 09:33 PM
good for the heart

hershey's is the worst chocolate though, it has the aftertaste of regurgitation

Matchstick
08-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Relevant reading (http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Chocolate-Inside-Secret-Hershey/dp/0767904575/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409025341&sr=1-1&keywords=emperors+of+chocolate) which includes the description of Hershey's as "barnyard chocolate". Even Mrs. Match who enjoys Hershey's found that humorous.

q 3
08-25-2014, 09:57 PM
If it doesn't prominently say the % cacao on the label then it's not even worth it. And with the stronger, more bitter flavors you'll end up eating less of it overall.

R^2
08-25-2014, 10:24 PM
The magical addition that makes Hershey's chocolate so unique?

Sour milk.

I mean probably artificially cultured processed milk solid foods these days, but originally, that was the secret ingredient.

I liked Dagobah back when I could get it. They had an 87% bar that was awfully bitter.

Dadaph
08-26-2014, 04:48 AM
They sell some chocolate with 70% cacao over here. Those are pretty good, in my opinion, but I do prefer them a little sweeter. Usually buying baking chocolate, as the local brand tastes pretty good, but I have no idea how those are in other places of the world.

Tried a Hersey's once(they don't sell them here, but my GF had some friends in the US who shipped one over).
I usually love all kinds of chocolate, but I found that one to be inedible.

Kirin
08-26-2014, 11:23 AM
If you really wanna get fancy, find some single-source dark chocolate. The different regions produce different flavors and aftertastes on top of the basic chocolate. You can get all wine-snob-level about it if you really want to (and can shell out for pricey chocolate).

I'll take Hersey's dark chocolate over their milk chocolate, but that's really not saying much. It's all pretty bland.

upupdowndown
08-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I'll take Hersey's dark chocolate over their milk chocolate, but that's really not saying much. It's all pretty bland.

QFT

We have a chocolatier in our neighborhood (http://chocolatslatour.com/) who does amazing stuff, like truffles made with dark chocolate, red wine, and rose petals; dark choc filled with strawberry and balsalmic; dark choc with lavender and sea salt; dark chocolate filled with caramel, blood orange, and oregano; and Wild Turkey truffles. she also makes this rosemary almond brittle, holy shit. It's always a pleasure to run into her and find out the new stuff she's cooking up.

Wolfgang
08-26-2014, 12:25 PM
The magical addition that makes Hershey's chocolate so unique?

Sour milk.

so that's why it tastes like puke? It is literally soured

Isrieri
08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
I think the densest dark chocolate I've had was around 92% and that stuff was like biting into pent up feelings of a childhood squandered.

I almost always pick dark over milk chocolate now. Milk chocolate tastes insubstantial in comparison. Unless its that Ritter's Alpine milk chocolate. That is how you do it right.

Sven
08-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm diabetic, so the 90% stuff is how I get my chocolate fix without resorting to sucralose-laden stuff (the brand I buy only has 2g / 3 squares).

Always funny to see someone grab a piece (we have individually-wrapped ones in our candy jar in the living room) and react when they taste it.

madhair60
08-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Can I just say that one thing I took away from my brief visit to America was that the chocolate just sucked a whole bunch? I mean everything else was great but MAN

upupdowndown
08-26-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm fully willing to believe that British candy bars are better than American candy bars, but I'd wager you didn't have any of the good stuff while you were here.

Adam
08-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Ethically grown, producer-owned silky smooth dark chocolate whose 71% bar is like a smooth kiss and actually drew me over from the dark (light) side of milk chocolate. (http://www.grenadachocolate.com/)

Daikaiju
08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Hershey's Special Dark will always hold a place for introducing me to the concept of chocolates other than good ol' milk choco. It's a nice gateway product.

Dadaph
08-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Can I just say that one thing I took away from my brief visit to America was that the chocolate just sucked a whole bunch? I mean everything else was great but MAN

If everything tastes like Hershey's, I'm willing to believe that. Got the feeling I'm being spoiled by eating good chocolate because I live in Europe(Scandinavian Chocolate is pretty damn good at least)

MooMoo
09-06-2014, 04:12 AM
The impression I've gotten from North American chocolate is that it is indeed sucky. However! When I tried Canadian stuff, it was ok, the Cadburys for example seemed largely the same.

I fear if you're looking to Herseys for quality chocolate, you're going to be a little disappointed. I'd like to recommend Bournville, but it't become very sugary to the point of over sweetened I think. As for milk, it's all about Cadburys or Galaxy (which I think Americans know as "Dove").

Teaspoon
09-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Can we all agree that white chocolate is an abomination, at least?

/waits for the world's only white chocolate advocate to come into the thread

Dadaph
09-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I like white chocolate. No idea what's so wrong about it, but perhaps I've just tasted the good brands?
I still PREFER dark chocolate though.

... but again, I've only tasted white chocolate together with regular chocolate.

Rufferto
09-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Can we all agree that white chocolate is an abomination, at least?

/waits for the world's only white chocolate advocate to come into the thread

White chocolate is good and righteous though its name is a misnomer

Teaspoon
09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
This is as good a place as any to mention that I read a Groo comic book today and now know what your avatar's on about.

It's a pretty sweet book.

Torzelbaum
09-06-2014, 03:19 PM
its name is a misnomerWhy!? It irritates me when people say that.

R^2
09-06-2014, 04:02 PM
The thing that makes chocolate chocolate is cocoa. White chocolate has none. Look closely at your labels, in the USA it's a "white chocolate candy confection" or some such nonsense, because it can't legally be called "chocolate".

Torzelbaum
09-06-2014, 06:51 PM
The thing that makes chocolate chocolate is cocoa. White chocolate has none. Look closely at your labels, in the USA it's a "white chocolate candy confection" or some such nonsense, because it can't legally be called "chocolate".Eh... That reasoning seems pretty pedantic to me. Also, I assume that's based on FDA definitions - which are kinda crazy if you take a close look at them.

BŁge
09-06-2014, 11:08 PM
The thing that makes chocolate chocolate is cocoa. White chocolate has none. Look closely at your labels, in the USA it's a "white chocolate candy confection" or some such nonsense, because it can't legally be called "chocolate".

The thing that makes chocolate chocolate and not cocoa solids is cocoa butter, which white chocolate should have in spades. The FDA sets a minimum guideline for the amount of cocoa butter in white chocolate, which is why they can slap a qualifier on the label if their product falls below that standard.

R^2
09-07-2014, 12:05 AM
It does not seem pedantic or counterintuitive to me that chocolate should have ground-up cacao beans in it, rather than just the byproduct of the cocoa grinding process.

Red Hedgehog
09-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I don't get the pedantism earlier. I don't think there's anything wrong with defining chocolate as "containing powdered cocoa beans".

What's pedantic is saying people shouldn't say "White Chocolate". That's like saying we shouldn't call peanut a nut because they are legumes, not nuts.

White chocolate can be tasty. But only with other things. Real chocolate tastes plenty good on its own.

Mo Money
09-14-2014, 08:05 PM
I love that there's a thread for this!!

I love dark chocolate