PDA

View Full Version : The "Let's Play" Threads Discussion Thread!

Healy
06-12-2007, 10:44 PM
For those of you who don't know, "Let's Play" is a phonomenon on the Something Awful boards in which someone plays a game while simultaneously posting his/her progress on a thread for all to see. There's usually some sort of audience interactivity element as well. It's all very fun to read, and even the worst LPs are good for a read or two. And you can find them all here (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/), in a convenient location.

"But Healy," you ask, "there are so many of these Let's Play things; which ones should we read first?"
Never fear, dear reader, for I have recomemdations for nearly every taste and season.

First, the Robinson's Requiem Let's Play is worth a go, simply due to its sheer awful butt-managing.

Secondly, the FFV Let's Play is worth reading for anyone who wants an idea of how to kick ass at that game.

The Fallout one is great for the little story the "Let's Play-er" tells, as is Master of Orion 2 for the same reason.

Dwarf Fortress: Boatmurdered has to be read as what may be the most derailed sucession game ever.

The Prince of Persia LP is fun, if you can get past the guy's annoying accent.

The Bureaucracy LP is good for some old-timey text adventure fun.

And that's about it for recomendations. This is pretty massive as far as bored-on-the-intertrons sites go; there are about 43 Let's Play thingies, and one of them (Arcanum) goes on for about 71(!) chapters. So! For those of you who are familiar with Let's Play, got any favorites? And for those of you who are new to Let's Play, what do you think of it?

reibeatall
06-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Just started reading FFVIII.

Loving just about every minute of it.

philliam
06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
The Castlevania III and Bubble Bobble Video LPs.

shivam
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
man, Flashback! i fucking love that game so hard.
i would totally do a Let's Play, but it involves screen caps and crap.

bobservo
06-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm a forum member there (duh) and I enjoy the LPs for games that I am too much of a gigantic wuss to play, like the Silent Hill series.

philliam
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
There seem to be a good number of goons in this forum.

Torgo
06-13-2007, 12:23 AM
man, Flashback! i fucking love that game so hard.
Rock on, shivam. Rock on.

Been reading the FFVIII one today. Even though they eventually stopped, the superimposing of Robin Williams' head onto Cid was hilarious. (And also makes me wonder just how much of the planet simultaneously came to the conclusion back in the day.)

SDMX
06-13-2007, 12:59 AM
STOP.

No seriously, you're probably reading the wrong Let's Play right now. No really. No, No, I understand. They're all pretty good. Goons are pretty good writers and it takes dedication to write out an LP thread and not have it get wiped away.

But this (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2418041) is the one you're looking for.

Broken Loose's take on Megaman Battle Network 1 is legend. This thread has had a long running internal ad promoting it, and for damn good reason: The amount of work pushed into this motherfucker is beyond comparison. And it's still going. BL is going through the entire MMBN series, one by one, which is why it hasn't been goldmined yet.

Read it. No, I don't care that it's midnight. You do not have better things to be doing. I checked.

Also: Skip down from "Lets keep this Jihaad Jeep rolling" to "Progress:" If you're worried about spoilers.

Healy, you're a great, great person for letting the people know. o7

shivam
06-13-2007, 01:12 AM
man, fuck you. the star control one is bringing tears to my eyes as i remember my own playthrough of one of the greatest games of all time.

Parish
06-13-2007, 01:16 AM
It's so marvelous how Something Awful's forum have slowly evolved over the years from a vile cesspit into a thing of genuine wonder. And of people with so very much free time.

djSyndrome
06-13-2007, 01:17 AM
STOP.

You forgot:

1) Collaborate
2) Listen

Boo, hiss, etc.

SDMX
06-13-2007, 01:51 AM
You forgot:

1) Collaborate
2) Listen

Don't be silly. It's because in the Battle Network LP, it's always Hammer Time. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/somniamagus/SA-emotes/emot-downsrim.gif

Healy
06-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Man, I just got through reading Darkseed 1&2 LPs, and let me tell you, they're both really creepy. Although, they don't seem like they'd be fun to play through to completion. Darkseed 1 in particular had a lot of annoying (and game-breaking!) elements. Never before have two media been converted to a more suitable format.

Psyael
06-13-2007, 02:07 AM
The Kirby Super Star one made me laugh because the guy posted the videos of his attempts to play that failed miserably, like this (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8390068603182492762&hl=en-CA).

"HOW IS HE DEAD ALREADY?!" My favorite part is when the AI helper beats King Dedede all on it's own.

Kishi
06-13-2007, 02:47 AM
I'd just like to direct everyone to Slowbeef's "strategy guide" for Metal Gear 2 (http://www.slowbeef.com/MG2/), which is basically a Let's Play before such a thing existed.

shivam
06-13-2007, 07:20 PM
STOP.

No seriously, you're probably reading the wrong Let's Play right now. No really. No, No, I understand. They're all pretty good. Goons are pretty good writers and it takes dedication to write out an LP thread and not have it get wiped away.

But this (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2418041) is the one you're looking for.

Broken Loose's take on Megaman Battle Network 1 is legend. This thread has had a long running internal ad promoting it, and for damn good reason: The amount of work pushed into this motherfucker is beyond comparison. And it's still going. BL is going through the entire MMBN series, one by one, which is why it hasn't been goldmined yet.

Read it. No, I don't care that it's midnight. You do not have better things to be doing. I checked.

Also: Skip down from "Lets keep this Jihaad Jeep rolling" to "Progress:" If you're worried about spoilers.

Healy, you're a great, great person for letting the people know. o7

You jerk, this one's not even finished yet! damn good though. not as tear jerking as starcon, but yeah.

a let's play about civilization could be fun.

Zef
06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Loved the FFVIII Let's Play --it was the very first time I ran into the concept, as a friend linked me to it-- and I really like how the same guy is bringing his sardonic and sadistic wit to the more recent FFVII thread.

The three Silent Hill LPs are genius.

However, the Pokemon Emerald thread is my current favorite. I blame it for my brand new interest in the franchise, as it made me go and buy the game to get me a Shoryugget (Blaziken) I can call my own.

Reading these threads, I'd really like to do an Okami LP. I'd just need to finish a few games first, and figure out how to export DScaler's output to VirtualDub.

Mazian
06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Over on the PC side of the fence*, Sunglasses At Night (http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm) is a glorious depiction of how to play Deus Ex while breaking it at every possible opportunity.

(* The PS2 port never happened. Bleaugh!)