PDA

View Full Version : The king of Iron Lag Tournament: Tekken DR to go online

djSyndrome
06-13-2007, 08:55 AM
It's coming, erm, soon! (http://www.neogaf.com/forum//showthread.php?t=163158) To Japan, at least.

I don't care so much about this update - I'm enjoying VF5 more than TDR right now - but this means that T6 will likely have online play out-of-the-box.

Kolbe
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Never been a fan of Tekken, so I don't care that much.

JCDenton
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I think Yu Suzuki had the right idea when he said Virtua Fighter would never have online play. Lag totally destroys serious fighting games.

Jakanden
06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Tekken is actually my main fighting franchise so I would love to see this come to us. I play the PSP Tekken with friends all the time.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 07:36 AM
So! I finally got to play this online last night with Jakanden. Other than the annoying microphone cutting out at loading screens, it was lots of fun. Lag was minimal - far less than playing, say, DOA4 online.

Are there any other TT'ers who have this?

Ben1842
11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm a Tekken Hater.

I haven't enjoyed any of them past 3, and looking back, 3 wasn't that great either. lol

I do have a question though.
Why do you like it?
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely interested.
With games like VF5 and Soul Calibur III (or II because it was better) out there. What makes Tekken as good or better?
I personally prefer 2D fighting games, but I have had a lot of fun with the two I mentioned. Tekken always seems like it's got more to do with pushing the buttons fast than it does with skill.
am I missing something? or do you just like to get in there and have some non taxing easy to play fun?

TheSL
11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm with Ben- why? There are so many better options.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm a Tekken Hater.

Okay.

I do have a question though.
Why do you like it?

Because it's accessible. I've really, really tried to enjoy VF - I've purchased every iteration including the god-awful 3TB - but I don't have the time or patience to count frames, and each iteration is just getting needlessly more complicated.

With games like VF5 and Soul Calibur III (or II because it was better) out there. What makes Tekken as good or better?

'Better' is an objective term. I think Final Fantasy V was 'better' than VI. Does that make my opinion valid, even though it's in the obvious popular minority?

I personally prefer 2D fighting games

So do I. I'll probably be flamed to hell for this (again), but SFA3 is the best 2D fighter. Ever. Period.

or do you just like to get in there and have some non taxing easy to play fun?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I'm with Ben- why? There are so many better options.

For online 3D fighting play? On the PS3? Name one. OH WAIT.

For fuck's sake, remind me to never, ever play a game again that doesn't meet with universal Talking Time approval.

Ben1842
11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I was just generally interested in why you liked it.
It wasn't an attack.
I think you took what I was saying the wrong way.

I don't like Tekken, but I'm glad you do.

I wasn't being negative when I said it was less taxing. You said yourself that you don't like VF because it is too complicated.

I'm sorry if I upset you, but it wasn't my intention.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry if I upset you, but it wasn't my intention.

Why would I get upset? It's not like you called my kid ugly or pissed on my porch or anything.

Ben1842
11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
For fuck's sake, remind me to never, ever play a game again that doesn't meet with universal Talking Time approval.

Maybe it's just me but this sounds upset.

usually when I start a sentence with "For Fucks sake" I'm at the bery least upset.

could just be a difference of how we communicate though.

in any event that was beside the point. I was just trying to say that I wasn't trying to be rude to you. I was just interested in why you liked a game.
But I'm over it now. Since you seem more interested in arguing with me.

I apologize for sounding condescending if I did in the first post, it wasn't my intention. All I wanted to do was discuss why Tekken is fun, because I see it getting these great scores and it's really never caught on with me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe it's just me but this sounds upset.

But this is how I talk. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QW-1D1RJhcw)

TheSL
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
For online 3D fighting play? On the PS3? Name one. OH WAIT.

I was just curious what the redeeming qualities of Tekken were these days beyond the same justification Tekken Tag Tournament had on PS2("its the best there is, why not?"). The only reason my friends used to play Tekken 1-3 was the OMG-factor of the 3-D graphics, so I didn't know if they'd "come into their own" in subsequent releases .

Lumber Baron
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Your lack of compliance with groupthink is double unwise.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I was just curious what the redeeming qualities of Tekken were these days beyond the same justification Tekken Tag Tournament had on PS2("its the best there is, why not?"). The only reason my friends used to play Tekken 1-3 was the OMG-factor of the 3-D graphics, so I didn't know if they'd "come into their own" in subsequent releases .

Well, the graphics are definitely a reason not to play it - the game looks like an upscaled PS2 title.

The game is much faster than previous Tekken titles, the variable floors from T4 have been banished, there are very few unbreakable 'infinite' moves, and characters are more balanced overall. There's also a healthy lack of stupid cameos from completely non-related games (Female Spartan in DoA? Link in Soul Calibur? Ugh.)

I still wish for destructible environments and a reshuffling of the character roster (Bryan needs to go), and Jinpachi is a cheap bastard that thankfully isn't playable online.

But in the end, DR is a game I can sit down and play - online, if I prefer - and make characters work without a high amount of effort. There are ten-hit combos, reversals, different recovery methods and counters available for those that want to explore its depths, but it's not as intimidating as VF, where you have to spend time in training mode just to get your character to move properly.

It's good, cheap fun, just without the itching and burning afterwards.

Five0two
11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I've been a fan ever since Tekken 2 on PSOne. Soul Calibur games have
always seemed far too spastic to me. I never really gave Virtua Fighter
a shot until VF4: Evo, and loved it. But I'm a Tekken fan first. (Well, a
SFII fan first, but you get my meaning).
Virtua Fighter and Tekken are pretty much my main sticking point in
deciding whether to buy a 360 or PS3. Not that I'm a great fighter or
anything like that, I just really enjoy them. And being able to play
either one or the other online on either particular system is dragging
out my choice. :great gnashing of teeth:

Kirin
11-30-2007, 05:38 PM
I enjoy me a bit of Tekken from time to time, but as I think I mentioned in another thread, I haven't yet been able to justify dropping $30 (is it $40 with online? I forget.) for what's mostly a game I already own. If that ever changes, though, I'll let you guys know. Otherwise, well, there'll always be Tekken 6 eventually. Or will SC4 also be online? I haven't been keeping track.

Jakanden
11-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I personally think Tekken is the best 3D fighting game out there but I know I am a minority on this board. I like that it is both easily accessible and deep if you want it to be.

Unlike VF5, you can jump in with a character you don't know and have fun. If you are willing to devote the time, you can learn how to do some amazing things with the character so the depth is there if you want it. I also like that there are no weapons or fireballs and stuff like other games (MK and SC).

Overall, I just enjoy the game more. Since I have been playing it since Tekken 1, I know the game pretty well (Although I am a bit rusty from lack of human competition). I never played VF until 4 and I don't feel like devoting a large amount of time to learn how to play it. Perhaps if I grew up with VF instead of Tekken, I would enjoy it more, but I didn't and I prefer Tekken.

Just my 2 cents. Again, I know I am a minority on this particular board and I am cool with that. There are plenty of us out there though that prefer Tekken.