PDA

View Full Version : Danny Boyle's Sunshine

doc_marten_abortion
06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
So, I was browsing Ain't It Cool News just now and came across a poster for the movie Sunshine. That sparked a bit of curiosity, because I had thought it was already released in the States. You see, my girlfriend and I caught a showing in Paris back in April and figured that because it was there, it had to be in our home country. I suppose not. Apparently, it doesn't even come out until July -- and not even, then, until the end of July.

So, the point of this post is: holy crap this movie was boring. Just consider any cliche space drama and add about twenty pounds of suck. It had so much of what made The Core so fantastically awful: plot, characters, contrived relationships... we get it, you're in space, you may not live, yada yada yada...
If only they could have just bumped into the crew of the Firefly and let Wash (pre-Serenity) steer them into a pack of revers. Seriously, total zee-fest.

Savathun
06-13-2007, 05:28 PM
My mom says reavers aren't real.

And yeah, this movie doesn't sound particularly exciting, which is upsetting.

sraymonds
06-13-2007, 05:33 PM
If Reavers aren't real, then why is Wash still dead? Why? WHY???

mr_bungle700
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Wash lives on in our hearts!

A friend of mine saw this movie the other day and said pretty much the same thing, so yeah, I'm just going to stay away from it. And isn't it about restarting the sun with some kind of ultra bomb? I don't mind goofy sci-fi concepts, but seriously.

VsRobot
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I can't believe that a Danny Boyle/Alex Garland movie is not worth seeing. Seriously. Of course, I'm one of the few people who thinks "The Beach" is pretty good.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Death to the unbeliever.

Seriously tho Martin your negative response is literally the first I've heard.

SDMX
06-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Ain't it Cool News hosts poster for crappy movie.

Shocking.

ringworm
07-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I felt that Sunshine was excellent. Danny Boyle's directorial vision applied to what is essentially a slightly tweaked version of 2001: A Space Odyssey combined with some of action-horror beats of Aliens made for a tense experience interrupted by moments of pure cinematographic beauty.

Scanning the reviews for this movie is somewhat odd, it appears to be at a solid 70% on rotten tomatoes, but the words used by the critics couldn't be more dichotomous. One review will use the word "extraordinary" or "intelligent" and the next will say its "nonsense" or "stupid". Based on that kind of critical reception, I guess it has a lot more in common with 2001 than I thought.

Jakanden
07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Death to the unbeliever.

Seriously tho Martin your negative response is literally the first I've heard.

Ditto (when talking about non-critics). I thought the movie was excellent, but I can see where it will be one of those "Love it or hate it" films like the aforementioned 2001.

cortbassist89
08-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Just got back from seeing it (well, I got back a few hours ago, that's beside the point); I felt it was a solid sci-fi film, and even though the plot was silly and the science nearly non-existant, I felt the acting, the score, and particularly the directing and photography made it an excellent film. Certainly will I be getting the DVD. Or as they say in France, le DVD.