PDA

View Full Version : I Shopped At Whole Foods

Dizzy
05-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Receipt: $180

Less than I expected. (Which I thought was going to be $500).

Not bad! Except everything was organic and non-GMO.

Alixsar
05-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I went there on break from the hospital and it's 9 dollars for a salad. It looked pretty good for what it was but...like, nine bucks? For a thing from the deli that is probably only okay at best? I dunno, man.

So I went to go get an apple instead. Doing some math and using the scale nearby, I figured out that it would have cost me just over 4 dollars. For one apple.

So yeah. Whole Foods.

cortbassist89
05-21-2015, 08:22 PM
$4 is a small price to pay for how much better you'll feel than plebeians shopping at regular stores.

jpfriction
05-21-2015, 09:11 PM
I went there on break from the hospital and it's 9 dollars for a salad. It looked pretty good for what it was but...like, nine bucks? For a thing from the deli that is probably only okay at best? I dunno, man.

So I went to go get an apple instead. Doing some math and using the scale nearby, I figured out that it would have cost me just over 4 dollars. For one apple.

So yeah. Whole Foods.

Thems airport prices there. I expense all my meals when I travel, but I still wince every time I spend $10 on the shittiest of sandwiches.

Torzelbaum
05-21-2015, 09:34 PM
And you lived to tell the tale?

$4 is a small price to pay for how much better you'll feel than plebeians shopping at regular stores.Whole Foods : putting a (very high) price on unwarranted feelings of superiority.

Trar
05-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Eh, sometimes they have unique goods. I haven't been to Trader Joe's yet though, so maybe I'm wrong and should shop there instead.

Lakupo
05-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Trader Joe's is the Aldi counterpart to Whole Foods. You can get a bigger bang for your buck! The produce is nice enough here in Philly, but I've heard it can be pretty bad in some regions. But they don't specialize in the really esoteric stuff that Whole Foods gets, like gluten free pasta made out of lentils and flavored with nutritional yeast. They just have the regular gluten free pasta!

Falselogic
05-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Receipt: $180

Less than I expected. (Which I thought was going to be $500).

Not bad! Except everything was organic and non-GMO.

I'm sorry that you make poor life choices.

Red Hedgehog
05-22-2015, 12:54 PM
I think I have a warped perspective because I'm in New York, but here Whole Foods often compares favorably to other grocery stores. Granted this is usually because when faced with poor quality or higher price, I'll pick the higher price. And there are plenty of things I would never consider getting there because they are just simply more expensive without a noticeable increase in quality (flour, sugar, most spices, etc.)

And $9 for a salad is what I'd pay at any of the dedicated salad places here. *shrug*

Adam
05-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Never walking back into a Whole Foods once I noticed their extensively stocked homeopathy section.

Dizzy
05-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Never walking back into a Whole Foods once I noticed their extensively stocked homeopathy section.

!

I have to see if the one I went to has one.

I'm thinking of going to WF for certain items, rather than the whole shebang.

My city is supposed to be getting a grocery store called "Fresh Thyme," soon. My former mayor described it thusly (yes, thusly): "If Whole Foods married Trader Joe’s and had a baby, that baby would be Fresh Thyme." But imagine that said in a kind of gruff Brooklyn accent.

taosterman
05-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Trader Joe's is awesome and not comparable to Whole Foods. It is the Easy Mode of food shopping for when you don't feel like using your brain.

Paul le Fou
05-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Whole Foods is awful forever

They deal a ton in homeopathy, "natural remedy" yoga chakra woo woo bullshit to pander to the rich suburban whites who think gmos and vaccines are evil

Not to mention the owner is a conservative shitwad

Also, overpriced

Don't go to Whole Foods.

Torzelbaum
05-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Never walking back into a Whole Foods once I noticed their extensively stocked homeopathy section."But it's all natural! It's good for you!"

Droewyn
05-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Anthrax is natural! So's arsenic.

Trar
05-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Bees too.

pointzeroeight
05-22-2015, 05:27 PM
I've never gone to Whole Foods and spent more than $70. And that's at least two armloads. Y'all buying the wrong things if you're spending more than that.

Vega
05-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Some customers at the health food store I work ask if we worry if Whole Foods or Trader Joes will open here and and take our business but my boss says there isn't enough business at the mom and pop health food stores here now for the chains to come in. Long ago there was a Wild Oats in this county, but it closed shortly after Whole Foods acquired them. This is Redneckistan. :(

On a more hopeful note, the vegan potluck group I meet with is planning for the first Veg Fest in this county this October, and I'm looking forward to helping them in some way. It'll probably be much smaller than the Central Florida Earth Day held in Orlando last month, but even a tiny festival of that sort in this county would be a step forward.

R^2
05-23-2015, 07:11 AM
Last year Whole Foods had a lawsuit settlement where they had to pay $800k for overcharging their customers. (http://ktla.com/2014/06/24/whole-foods-to-pay-800k-for-overcharging-california-consumers-settlement/)

That's the joke.

Torzelbaum
05-23-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm sure the customers didn't find it very funny. But the suits probably thought it was hilarious. I bet they laughed all the way to the bank.

madhair60
05-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Kind of disgusted to see the homeophobia in this thread.

Mightyblue
05-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Because 90% of homeopathy is bullshit, masking the 10% of the things that may actually have a positive effect when used/applied properly?

q 3
05-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Because 90% of homeopathy is bullshit, masking the 10% of the things that may actually have a positive effect when used/applied properly?

Being so deluded is what makes it effective! sic

Torzelbaum
05-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Kind of disgusted to see the homeophobia in this thread.madhair, do you really care about homeopathy or did you only post so that you could make that "joke"?

Being so deluded is what makes it effective! sicThe placebo (https://xkcd.com/1526/) effect!

madhair60
05-24-2015, 02:53 AM
I should explain. The joke is that a man (me) has mistaken distaste for homeopathy for distaste for homosexuality. That's what I was going for there. It's a bit of wordplay sort of. It's not my best material, and for that, I'm sorry.

Violentvixen
05-24-2015, 01:42 PM
I do like that they really do stock local and fair trade stuff. Whole Foods is the only place to get local produce in town without driving out to the farms, and is the easiest place to get a lot of local beer too.

Adam
05-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Yes, I am derailing the thread.

Please describe the 10% of materials that actually imprint their wavelengths on ordinary water when diluted beyond measurable amounts.

Azzyquemint
05-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I worked for Whole Foods for three and a half years, and it was miserable. More power to the people who can make a career there, but I could not wait to get out.

Beefy Hits
05-25-2015, 09:38 PM
You gotta be ballin' like a mutherfucker and make 6 digits to shop at whole paycheck. I've been in one once, but haven't bought anything.

pointzeroeight
05-26-2015, 09:11 AM
You gotta be ballin' like a mutherfucker and make 6 digits to shop at whole paycheck. I've been in one once, but haven't bought anything.

/s

If you buy the wrong things there then yes, you'll pay out the ass for things. I've seen people leave with a tiny bag of things with a bill of $100+. That's shopping like an idiot. I leave there with several large bags filled to the brim and hardly ever spend more than $100.

R^2
05-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Do... do you guys not have actual farmer's markets where you live?

cortbassist89
05-26-2015, 09:50 AM
We have a couple here, during specific months, for like a Saturday each month.

Dizzy
05-26-2015, 10:22 AM
I do.

Rivers
05-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Northern climate here, so our farmer's markets only run from May to October.

Last year, one of the larger local farms had a subscription kind of service where you paid up front and got a box of produce every week. It was pretty reasonable, I think around ten dollars a week for the smaller portion which was intended for two people. They had a larger one for bigger families. You picked up your box at a designated neighborhood location, and if you didn't want certain vegetables in that week's assortment they had alternatives you could swap out.

I don't know if they're offering it again this year, but I can't participate until I get a new refrigerator. It was a great service and I think more farms should try this. Plus, you get some surprise veggies you might not have tried otherwise, and they had suggested recipes for each week's items. The whole program was really well thought out.

On topic: there is a Whole Foods about a half-hour from here but I've never been in there. A Trader Joe's recently opened in the same town, and I haven't been there either.

Red Hedgehog
05-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Yes, but they only have vegetables for half the year due to being local and all.

Northern climate here, so our farmer's markets only run from May to October.

Last year, one of the larger local farms had a subscription kind of service where you paid up front and got a box of produce every week. It was pretty reasonable, I think around ten dollars a week for the smaller portion which was intended for two people. They had a larger one for bigger families. You picked up your box at a designated neighborhood location, and if you didn't want certain vegetables in that week's assortment they had alternatives you could swap out.

This is typically called a CSA for "community-shared agriculture" and is basically like pre-orders for produce. You pay at the beginning of the season for a season's worth of produce and thus the farm has the capital to get the equipment, supplies, and pay labor to get everything done through planting, growing, and harvesting and then each week you pick up your share. I've been part of one for 3 or 4 years now and it's been really great (even I end up having to throw away lettuce because two people cannot each such amount of lettuce!)

Excitemike
05-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I wonder if the prices at Whole Foods are inflated because they give the farmers a reasonable price for their produce. Because that would be pretty cool.

Falselogic
05-26-2015, 01:43 PM
I wonder if the prices at Whole Foods are inflated because they give the farmers a reasonable price for their produce. Because that would be pretty cool.

You're just adorable Excitemike

Violentvixen
05-26-2015, 01:50 PM

Yes, but the hours are terrible, one weekday from 10am-2pm is not helpful.

This is typically called a CSA for "community-shared agriculture" and is basically like pre-orders for produce. You pay at the beginning of the season for a season's worth of produce and thus the farm has the capital to get the equipment, supplies, and pay labor to get everything done through planting, growing, and harvesting and then each week you pick up your share. I've been part of one for 3 or 4 years now and it's been really great (even I end up having to throw away lettuce because two people cannot each such amount of lettuce!)

We have a similar thing, there's a set box each week that you order (http://www.agriculturalconnections.com/). Since our meal schedule changes constantly committing to the full year one was never an option so it's great to be able to get it when we can. But we're locked into what's in the box so if we need something specific we have to go to a store.

Beefy Hits
05-26-2015, 07:17 PM
/s

If you buy the wrong things there then yes, you'll pay out the ass for things. I've seen people leave with a tiny bag of things with a bill of $100+. That's shopping like an idiot. I leave there with several large bags filled to the brim and hardly ever spend more than $100.

I think you're confusing it with Aldi's.

I've been to Trader Joe's 2X (there's one near me) and was confused and unimpressed. I stick with one of the locals or Aldis.

pointzeroeight
05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
I think you're confusing it with Aldi's.

I've been to Trader Joe's 2X (there's one near me) and was confused and unimpressed. I stick with one of the locals or Aldis.

Aldis isn't a thing in Canada. So no, not confusing it with anything. 75% of my groceries come from Whole Foods, and everything I buy is cheaper there than other grocery stores for the same things. Plus, they have a much wider selection.

Lakupo
05-26-2015, 09:26 PM
I had to stop by a pet supply store that's next to the big Whole Foods in town today, so I took a quick trip through the store for like the or for things that are comparable or cheaper than the regular grocery stores here. Cage-free eggs, Fage, Ak-mak crackers, and organic bananas. Still cost ten bucks, but it was convenient that time.

I was also reminded that it's not exactly easy to compare Trader Joes and Whole Foods 1:1, since WF carries so much specialty stuff, but that's the same with Aldi and other supermarkets. But I'm picky, and kind of bee line for stuff I know is a really good deal at any given place ($2.50 bags of arugula, or fancy cheese at TJs), and ignore the overpriced commodities (the same bag of normal flour is cheaper at Aldi than TJ's or WF... But WF is shifting to non GMO/organic everything, so they may not have it)

Beefy Hits
05-26-2015, 09:32 PM
I like Aldis chocolates, and during the holidays they have special stuff like peppermint pancake batter.

TJ is great for snacks.

Adam
05-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Trader Joe's is blessed EZ mode for shopping. They remove the tyranny of choice for everything but olive oil, for some odd reason.