PDA

View Full Version : PSA: use ghee

Bongo Bill
05-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Ghee is like butter, but more so. Although it is made by removing some of the parts of butter that make it butter, the result has, paradoxically, more butterness. You can also use it as a cooking oil, which you should, because it has a pleasing and subtle flavor.

Red Hedgehog
05-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Could you clarify that?

Rufferto
05-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Great - now this thread's gonna be saturated in puns.

Solitayre
05-24-2015, 08:50 PM
I can't believe it.

Guild
05-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for spreading the word, Bongo.

Torzelbaum
05-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks for spreading the word, Bongo.He's on a roll!

Sanagi
05-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Let's all give Bongo a pat on the back.

Googleshng
05-24-2015, 10:02 PM
It's alarming how easily TT slides into making puns. You wouldn't think so many of these would stick.

Lady
05-24-2015, 10:24 PM
ghee, I don't know, Bongo. . . I don't see the benefats

shivam
05-24-2015, 10:30 PM
that pun would work, if ghee was pronounced like that Lady. it's pronounced ghee like girl or gravy or gif, not like gerald or gif.

Lady
05-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Yes, shivam, I know that. Thank you. Fortunately, this is a textual forum, where I can bend the rules of pronunciation for the sake of humor. The word "Benefits" is also not pronounced with an "ah" sound!

shivam
05-24-2015, 10:37 PM
aww, i was totally making a joke about how gif is ambiguously pronounced. guess i should have clarified.

Rufferto
05-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Realtalk: ghee is a great all purpose cooking oil, especially if you like the taste. It has a high smoke point, unlike butter, which burns at low temps because of the milk solids contained within. The process of turning butter to ghee removes those milk solids, which means it's very conducive to stir frys.

I'd also recommend making your own instead of buying it at stores. I can't speak for Indian imported ghee, because I've never shopped at markets that cater to them, but most of the ghee I've seen caters to hippy dippy fair trade non GMO types, with a price tag to match. It's commonly labeled as grass fed, organic, etc. It's the type of item you're more likely to find at Whole Foods than at somewhere like Safeway. Just buy a four pound pack (or more) of butter at Costco and make a bulk batch. It'll keep for weeks to months on the shelf. Use it in place of your normal cooking oil. That's pretty much it.

shivam
05-24-2015, 11:17 PM
ghee is super easy to make, yeah. just make sure to use unsalted butter.

Lady
05-24-2015, 11:25 PM
aww, i was totally making a joke about how gif is ambiguously pronounced. guess i should have clarified.

I'm sorry, I was just annoyed that you called me on my fake pun. I appreciate the gif joke now!

Bongo Bill
05-24-2015, 11:46 PM
Realtalk: ghee is a great all purpose cooking oil, especially if you like the taste. It has a high smoke point, unlike butter, which burns at low temps because of the milk solids contained within. The process of turning butter to ghee removes those milk solids, which means it's very conducive to stir frys.

I'd also recommend making your own instead of buying it at stores. I can't speak for Indian imported ghee, because I've never shopped at markets that cater to them, but most of the ghee I've seen caters to hippy dippy fair trade non GMO types, with a price tag to match. It's commonly labeled as grass fed, organic, etc. It's the type of item you're more likely to find at Whole Foods than at somewhere like Safeway. Just buy a four pound pack (or more) of butter at Costco and make a bulk batch. It'll keep for weeks to months on the shelf. Use it in place of your normal cooking oil. That's pretty much it.

I'm totally gonna do this, but I got a jar of the stuff here so now I know what to expect it to be like.

R^2
05-25-2015, 09:01 AM
When I saw the thread started out just making puns, I was like, "How dairy do that!"

Made my stomach churn. I'm glad to see the thread managed to move pasture garden-variety punderstorm and into some real discussion.

taosterman
05-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Ghee takes less than an hour to make (like kale chips, if you buy it, you're a sucker) and is a better-tasting butter that will neither burn nor offend the stomachs of your lactose-intolerant friends. I guess you can't use it in pastries but my cooking is pretty much savory-monogamous anyway.

taosterman
05-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Here's a handy pictorial I made a while back (though cheesecloth is a more convenient way to skim off the solids):

Why settle for mere butter when you can have ...

http://i.imgur.com/c6hvBPB.png

GHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

http://i.imgur.com/3vpV5UB.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

http://i.imgur.com/42X8gjg.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

http://i.imgur.com/DhH7T5c.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

http://i.imgur.com/uZeeQ5x.png

(leftover burned milk solids, seeped of delicious, nutty flavor)

SpoonyBardOL
05-25-2015, 09:54 AM
How tricky/unreliable is it to make Ghee without cheesecloth? I'd like to give it a shot as I have one recipe that I make fairly regularly that calls for it. I usually just use straight-up butter, but last time it burned on me and I figured it was high time I used the real thing, especially if it keeps for a long period of time.

taosterman
05-25-2015, 11:01 AM
If you skim the residue off the top, the remaining milk solids should brown and settle at the bottom of the pan and stay there pretty easily during pouring. Cheesecloth is about as cheap and readily available as coffee filters, though, so I recommend just going that route.

Lady
05-25-2015, 12:14 PM
cheesecloth is one of those things you never think 'oh, I really need to have that', but when you finally break down and get some, you use it pretty often! It's an enabler!

Paul le Fou
05-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Cheesecloth is also excellent for making paneer!

I really need to make a new batch of ghee. It's so easy, and so good. And also I'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper to buy lots of butter and make ghee than buying pretty much any good cooking oil? and your apartment smells fucking amazing for like a week.

taosterman
05-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Cheesecloth is also excellent for making paneer!

Well it is, after all, cheese.

Fun fact: Tofu is made with cheesecloth too! Curdling things is awesome.

Droewyn
05-25-2015, 01:46 PM
I just made a batch of garlic parm popcorn using 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 ghee and it came out SO GOOD YOU GUYS.

Sarcasmorator
05-25-2015, 01:53 PM
ghee is super easy to make, yeah. just make sure to use unsalted butter.

Do this regardless.