PDA

View Full Version : Help I discovered hummus and now I can't stop eating it

Solitayre
07-28-2015, 12:38 PM
The problem I'm having now is that I'm running out of things to put the hummus on.

Falselogic
07-28-2015, 12:43 PM
just eat it straight you disgusting pig monster

Solitayre
07-28-2015, 01:36 PM
But it's so good on crackers! And bread! and pitas! and tortillas...

Violentvixen
07-28-2015, 01:45 PM

Carrots, red pepper slices and celery sticks are great as well!

I've heard it's really good on chicken and avocado but haven't tried it.

Red Hedgehog
07-28-2015, 01:47 PM
I was flabbergasted that 3 of my fellow tyrants at PAX East had never tried hummus before. I won't name any names, though.

will
07-28-2015, 01:47 PM
doritos

Kate or Die!
07-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Eat em with green beans, or use instead of mayo on a sammich.

Falselogic
07-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Id say pita chips but then youd just be addicted to those as well...

Dadgum Roi
07-28-2015, 01:59 PM
What kinds do people like? I usually go for plain (with a squirt of lemon), or plain with caramelized onions on top. Sabra or the store brand are about the same, I buy whatever is cheaper. I tried smoked paprika flavor once, it tasted like ass.

There used to be a Palestinian restaurant here that made their own hummus, and it was so much better than any of the store bought stuff. I've tried making my own but it doesn't turn out that great.

Dadgum Roi
07-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Burgers. Put it on burgers. So good.

Rufferto
07-28-2015, 02:05 PM
What kinds do people like? I usually go for plain (with a squirt of lemon), or plain with caramelized onions on top. Sabra or the store brand are about the same, I buy whatever is cheaper. I tried smoked paprika flavor once, it tasted like ass.

There used to be a Palestinian restaurant here that made their own hummus, and it was so much better than any of the store bought stuff. I've tried making my own but it doesn't turn out that great.

In my experience, home made foods usually only turn out better than store bought when I'm not the one making it.

Violentvixen
07-28-2015, 02:06 PM
What kinds do people like?

The store-bought spinach artichoke one is really good! Any version of red pepper hummus is great too, I see that at restaurants a lot lately.

Dadgum Roi
07-28-2015, 02:18 PM
I just had an idea: what if I put a bunch of TajŪn in hummus? Daaaaaaayum. I bet that would be kick-ass.

Red Hedgehog
07-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Yeah, Sabra is no great shakes. Tribe is marginally. There are some brands that are noticeably better though I'd have to ask my wife since she's the real hummus connoisseur.

Regardless, stuff from restaurants / homemade is still going to be best.

I like traditional (lemon, tahini and some garlic), maybe topped with some sauteed mushrooms or hot peppers.

mopinks
07-28-2015, 02:37 PM
homemade hummus is really great and super easy but my food processor is annoying to clean so I give up before I even start

I wish I could be eating hummus all the time

pointzeroeight
07-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Pizza. Sub hummus for the sauce.

Solitayre
07-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Carrots, red pepper slices and celery sticks are great as well!

I've been putting it on baby carrots! I have never in my entire life liked raw carrots before, but now I love them. Such is the power of hummus.

Apparently it's actually really good for you too? Is this real? Is the universe trying to trick me?!

pointzeroeight
07-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Hummus is the gateway food to the rest of your fridge.

Kairu
07-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Someone passed along a recipe for peanut butter hummus which was really easy to make and and went great with the recommended cucumber slices to dip with.

Falselogic
07-28-2015, 03:26 PM
The store-bought spinach artichoke one is really good! Any version of red pepper hummus is great too, I see that at restaurants a lot lately.

I love spicy hummus!

Teaspoon
07-28-2015, 04:51 PM
garlic

garlic hummus

MagFlare
07-28-2015, 09:27 PM
My go-to hummus conveyance is the pretzel.

Also, the grocery store where I work has pickled beet hummus? And I tried it? And it was weird. But not bad!

Rivers
07-28-2015, 09:53 PM
I have no idea what hummus is, but this thread is making me want to try it. Can I buy it at the Giant Eagle, or is it some kind of specialty dish for fancy people?

Falselogic
07-28-2015, 09:59 PM
I have no idea what hummus is, but this thread is making me want to try it. Can I buy it at the Giant Eagle, or is it some kind of specialty dish for fancy people?

Basic hummus is blended chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), tahini sauce, and lemon juice. Seasoned with salt.

Solitayre
07-28-2015, 10:06 PM

It's definitely not a fancy dish. Any large market probably has a variety. At mine it's at the refrigerated section near the deli. I decent sized tub is $2.50 - $3.00 here.

That Old Chestnut
07-28-2015, 10:53 PM
It's definitely not a fancy dish. Any large market probably has a variety.

Seriously. Even Wal-Mart carries it!

Lady
07-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Hummus is one of the things I had to train myself to like*, as I did with beer and carbonated water.

Dadgum Roi
07-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Yeah, Sabra is no great shakes. Tribe is marginally. There are some brands that are noticeably better though I'd have to ask my wife since she's the real hummus connoisseur.

I haven't seen Tribe around here in maybe 15 years. I used to really like one of theirs-I think it was called "40 Spices" or something like that.

SpoonyBardOL
07-29-2015, 07:21 AM
My favorite home made hummus is this Sriracha Hummus, (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/sriracha-hummus/) but just about anything with a Sriracha flavor is bound to win me over.

Don't like spicy? It still makes a good base hummus recipe if you remove the Sriracha, and you can replace it with any dang thing you want to use to flavor it.

Solitayre
07-29-2015, 07:55 AM
You mean...I can make my own?

I don't have a food processor. Would a blender work?

Red Hedgehog
07-29-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't have a food processor. Would a blender work?

No, if you don't have a food processor, I would not recommend making hummus on your own.

If you do, well my friend, welcome to flavor town!

Solitayre
07-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Okay, next question.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive food processor?

pointzeroeight
07-29-2015, 09:37 AM
You can easily get a decent one for around $20. Quick search on Amazon brings up several.

You can even get one that's basically handheld for ~$15.

Down the line, it's worth getting a nice big one. I have a really nice Kitchenaid one that is great for so many things. All the different blades are really nice to have. Shredding, grating, mixing, whatever.

Vega
07-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Hummus on brown bread (pumpernickle, rye or whole wheat) is always a good snack. I wonder if hummus is healthier than natural peanut butter.

Red Hedgehog
07-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Basic hummus is blended chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), tahini sauce, and lemon juice. Seasoned with salt.

And garlic! Don't forget the garlic.

SpoonyBardOL
07-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Okay, next question.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive food processor?

I have this one (http://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-70730C-Processor-Scraping-Feature/dp/B008J8MJIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438193627&sr=8-2&keywords=food+processor), though it depends on what you mean by inexpensive. I did get it for half off last year, though, so keep an eye out for sales?

A Food Processor is an invaluably handy thing to have though. Sometimes a Blender just won't cut it. It does what Blendon't!

Violentvixen
07-29-2015, 01:48 PM
You can easily get a decent one for around $20. Quick search on Amazon brings up several.

You can even get one that's basically handheld for ~$15.

Down the line, it's worth getting a nice big one. I have a really nice Kitchenaid one that is great for so many things. All the different blades are really nice to have. Shredding, grating, mixing, whatever.

The handheld/immersion blenders are amazing and a wonderful thing to have for making soup, but I don't know if they're usually that much cheaper than a food processor and I'm not sure making hummus in one would work that well. Haven't tried though. We have this one (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76BC-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGA6QI), we got it for $25 when a kitchen store was having a clearance.

We have this food processor (https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinued/food_processors/dfp-7bc.html) and it's fantastic.

Grating cheese with the food processor is so damned satisfying.

A Food Processor is an invaluably handy thing to have though. Sometimes a Blender just won't cut it. It does what Blendon't!

The blender is more convenient to pour stuff out of, but that's about it. I still find the fact that we own both silly, but Lumber prefers the blender for a lot of things.

pointzeroeight
07-29-2015, 01:49 PM
I didn't mean an immersion blender. There are some food processors that are so small they might as well be handheld.

Paul le Fou
07-29-2015, 02:13 PM
I have an immersion blender with a chopper attachment that Kinda Works but isn't great. I made a roasted beet/yogurt/tahini dip with it that got the job done but only after a pain in the butt. Also makes shakes Decently at best. Haven't tried hummus but I doubt it would be that great. BUT I don't have to buy another thing just yet, so there's that.

Red Hedgehog
07-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Just got word from on high (the wife) that these are the best brands of hummus (not necessarily in this order):

Trader Joe's
Abraham's
Cedar's
Hope's
Good Neighbors

mopinks
07-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm big on Trader Joe's edamame hummus, if you're in the market for a weird hummus

the Eat Well Embrace Life spicy yellow lentil hummus (http://eatwellembracelife.com/spicy-yellow-lentil-hummus/) is probably my favorite store-bought hummus, but I can't find a store to bought it from around here anymore...

also, I just realized I have everything I need to make hummus, plus a jar of harissa?? I like where this is going

Daikaiju
07-29-2015, 05:05 PM
I've always enjoyed Sabra's.

Red Hedgehog
07-29-2015, 06:32 PM
I've always enjoyed Sabra's.

There is a whole world of better hummus waiting for you. Just waiting.

Daikaiju
07-29-2015, 08:44 PM
I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, Daikaiju, now when did
You last let your tongue decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic hummus ride

Posaune
07-29-2015, 10:14 PM
I made some hummus last week and some babaganoushshshzhshh this week!

Ya gotta do homemade hummus. Store bought stinks!

Kate or Die!
07-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Seconding VV's hand blender recommendation. My mom also removes the skins from the beans to get a really smooth hummus.

Rivers
08-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Finally tried this stuff. I sliced up a cucumber and ate it with roasted red pepper hummus. It was kinda bland and uninteresting. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it in the future. I ended up eating the other half of the cucumber plain.

mopinks
08-02-2015, 11:22 PM
personally, I'm not crazy about red pepper hummus

I think the pepper flavor robs hummus of a lot of its distinct hummusness

Diplo
08-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Just got word from on high (the wife) that these are the best brands of hummus (not necessarily in this order):

Trader Joe's
Abraham's
Cedar's
Hope's
Good Neighbors

Can confirm that Trader Joe's has good hummus (https://allergicfoodieinsuburbia.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/image7.jpg).

Sabra's hummus, like a lot of other brands, has this mayonnaise-y taste and smell that grosses me out. Some of that comes from the tahini, the exclusion of which I look for when buying hummus, but it also comes from however they've made it.

Red Hedgehog
08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Sabra's hummus, like a lot of other brands, has this mayonnaise-y taste and smell that grosses me out. Some of that comes from the tahini, the exclusion of which I look for when buying hummus, but it also comes from however they've made it.

Hummus without tahini is not hummus.

But too much tahini definitely ruins hummus.

It's a delicate balance.

Diplo
08-03-2015, 12:35 PM
The kind in that image is tahini-free and it's so dang good ( ˊᵕˋ )♡

Dadgum Roi
08-06-2015, 10:57 AM

Trader Joe's
Abraham's
Cedar's
Hope's
Good Neighbors

I can't get any of these. :(

Daikaiju
08-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Where abouts are you?

Dadgum Roi
08-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Where abouts are you?

Greenville, NC-about 100,000 people. The main grocery store I shop at has Sabra (good), their store brand (better), and some stuff that's just called "Organic Hummus", which I think is also a dealer brand.

I should probably try Fresh Market some time-that's our version of TJ's and Whole Foods.

Daikaiju
08-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Also Amazon sells hummus kits (http://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Palouse-Brand-Organic-Seasonings/dp/B00NP7RDFA/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1438972417&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=hummus).

Paul le Fou
08-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Or just, like, just get chickpeas and tahini

and garlic and olive oil and salt

maybe some lemon juice

~and blend them together~

mopinks
08-09-2015, 12:25 AM
one thing I like to do is put A Lot Of Cumin And Coriander in my hummus

do YOU put A Lot Of Cumin And Coriander in YOUR hummus??

you should

Sven
08-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Also Amazon sells hummus kits (http://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Palouse-Brand-Organic-Seasonings/dp/B00NP7RDFA/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1438972417&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=hummus).

... $20 for hummus? And, like, only that much hummus?

I'm tempted to re-buy those Whole Foods shares I sold at the end of last year.

We tend to top ours with Coriander, but only a little bit. I like mine more neutral because I tend to use it as more than a straight dip.

pointzeroeight
08-12-2015, 04:07 PM
one thing I like to do is put A Lot Of Cumin And Coriander in my hummus

you should

Uh hell yes.

Also, when pumpkin time starts, rosemary pumpkin hummus. So good.

Mara
08-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Trader Joe's hummus is THE BOMB. They have a 3-flavor hummus (three flavors in one container, you read that right) that is incredible.

I used to eat it, with pita chips, for dinner some nights (because I am a grownup).

Anyway, yeah. Hummus is awesome.

pointzeroeight
08-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Trader Joe's hummus is THE BOMB. They have a 3-flavor hummus (three flavors in one container, you read that right) that is incredible.

I used to eat it, with pita chips, for dinner some nights (because I am a grownup).

Anyway, yeah. Hummus is awesome.

Toast. Hummus. Mashed avocado. S&P. Any meal of the day.

Violentvixen
08-15-2015, 09:31 AM
TI used to eat it, with pita chips, for dinner some nights (because I am a grownup).

I do this all the time in the summer. Some days it's just too hot to eat an actual meal and hummus and veggies is more than enough.

Dadgum Roi
08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Or just, like, just get chickpeas and tahini

and garlic and olive oil and salt

maybe some lemon juice

~and blend them together~

I've done this, and it sucks. Any insight as to why my hummus sucks would be welcome.

BŁge
08-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Don't use dried chickpeas.

Dadgum Roi
08-15-2015, 11:05 AM

I used canned. :(

mopinks
08-15-2015, 11:47 AM
did you wash off the bean can slime

pointzeroeight
08-17-2015, 09:45 AM

My hummus always turns out better when I cook my own chickpeas. Plus you don't get the gross canned chickpea smell when you open the can.

Red Hedgehog
08-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Yeah, dried chickpeas work fine. But you do need to cook them plenty long to be sure they are soft enough.

I find I usually need to add more olive oil than the recipe says and some water.

Also, definitely for the lemon juice. Isn't nearly as good without it.

BŁge
08-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah, I made hummus using this recipe (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/08/roasted-red-pepper-hummus-wraps/), but I replaced the garlic powder with minced garlic. Worked great.

Sven
08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Red's right: first issue with hummus is that you didn't use enough lemon juice. Most recipies are really conservative about it for some reason, but just fucking nuke the food processor and you'll have a good result.

Dried chickpeas are in NO WAY worth the effort it takes. The flavour might be a little bit better, but the time lost makes it impractical. Plus, boiled chickpea smell is probably even worse than canned chickpea smell.

I roast off a bunch of garlic at the start of the summer and pack it all in olive oil, then haul it out when needed. Better than raw garlic hummius, for obvious reasons (EG, roasted garlic is amazing and goes in everything).

Red Hedgehog
08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Dried chickpeas are in NO WAY worth the effort it takes. The flavour might be a little bit better, but the time lost makes it impractical. Plus, boiled chickpea smell is probably even worse than canned chickpea smell.

I think this generally just depends on your philosophy on beans. After a friend made a face when we told him we used canned beans, we switched to dried and they are noticeably tastier (plus you can make them al dente for when that is better for a recipe).

They take more time, but no more effort since most of the time is them soaking / simmering so you just do other things while that happens.

I really don't think the smell of chickpeas cooking is bad (now fava beans...).

Posaune
08-17-2015, 06:39 PM
I've done this, and it sucks. Any insight as to why my hummus sucks would be welcome.

Throw some cumin in there, bro!

Also your blender might not be blending it as well as a food processor could?