PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cooking Jamboree

MooMoo
12-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Share your tips and strategies!

I'd love to know anyone's recipes for honeyed parsnips, or sprout ideas (I guess you guys dont really eat em, but in the offchance...).

We've got a beef to do, should I slow cook it? I dont want to potentially ruin £15 of meat, so ideas welcome. :)

GO!

Paul le Fou
12-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Sprout as in brussels sprouts? I do them pretty simply, with garlic and sometimes bacon! oil salt and pepper, oven-roasted to golden brown. I think we're gonna do sprouts and squash for a side here soon!

MooMoo
12-23-2015, 02:29 PM
...roast sprouts?! That's a new one. I think we just boil them. Good shout on squash though, I think one year we had sweet potato and it was num nums.

Red Hedgehog
12-23-2015, 02:44 PM
...roast sprouts?! That's a new one. I think we just boil them.

This is why British cuisine is regarded so poorly.

Seriously, they taste so much better roasted or fried.

MooMoo
12-23-2015, 02:47 PM
fried.

well you would say that you you AMERICAN >:I

Nah I believe you, I just feel like a leafy veg like sprout would wither really badly? Don't know if I can convince the fam on it this christmas, but I'll mention it.

Ample Vigour
12-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Sprouts are sturdy enough to stand up to roasting or frying. It's not like chard or spinach.

I chop up pork belly and garlic and fry them together, then toss the sprouts in and get them coated in the fat before sliding the pan into the oven. The whole production takes like five minutes.

Teaspoon
12-23-2015, 03:12 PM
roast sprouts + chestnuts

use lots of oil

Paul le Fou
12-23-2015, 03:56 PM
...roast sprouts?! That's a new one. I think we just boil them.

GROSS

boiled sprouts are mushy and gross. Roasted sprouts are crisp and delicious. They get a little smaller and lose a little shape, but they hold up quite well to the heat unless you overdo it.

Cut stems off and cut each sprout in half. Toss in oil (a good high-temp one, so not like EVOO) with diced up garlic and, if you want, diced up bacon. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast at 425 (F) for ~20 minutes then check until they're at desired crispiness/tenderness.

splash a little lemon juice or red wine vinegar on there when you pull them out, if that sounds like something you'd like. If not, they're totally fine just as is.

Fancy-pants AV there like pork belly (that sounds so good) but bacon works too - crisp up some bacon in your cast iron pan, remove and toss sprouts in, throw in oven. Although honestly at that point I usually just fry them in the pan with the grease and it takes less time and doesn't overdo them. Crumble the bacon back onto them when you pull them out to serve!

Roasting squash follows pretty much the exact same recipe, as it turns out! Same for cauliflower and broccoli and many others I'm sure. Maybe just an adjustment to temps and times.

MooMoo
12-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Hm, I wouldn't want to overseason since it needs to go with the rest of the food, but I'll try and push my fam into roasting the sprouts. Or at least roasting a few to see how they go.

Still need a parsnip recipe though! I'm guessing it'll be similar to the squash. Want that sexy honey roast goodness, mm-mmmm.

Ample Vigour
12-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Mash them parsnips!

MooMoo
12-23-2015, 04:15 PM
nooo I want honey roast num nums! D:

We sort of always do the mashy mashy thing and end up with some carrot and parsnip type situation. Which is fine, I like it, but I want to have something a little fancy this time.

BŁge
12-23-2015, 07:57 PM
lqallz5Ypog

upupdowndown
12-24-2015, 01:01 PM
having my parents over for dinner tonight as well as a close friend. here's the menu:

- Pork Rib Roast with Port-Balsamic-Cherry Reduction
- Dinner Rolls (I made them yesterday and they are FABULOUS)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Thyme
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Shallots
- Spice Wine-Poached Pears with Orange-Cranberry Relish (my folks are bringing the relish which is quite fresh-tasting and great - miles away from that weird jellied stuff.)

For dessert, we bought some Springerle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springerle) and my parents are bringing their normal almond-cranberry cake, which is cut up into tiny little squares. really good.

And I'm making a gateau de crepes (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/06/having-my-cake/), which is a "cake" made from stacked crepes with pastry cream between the layers and caramelized sugar on top. This will be a gingerbread gateau de crepes; I've folded in ginger, cinnamon, and molasses into the pastry cream to get the flavor right. Serving with orange zest whipped cream and cranberry coulis.

I'm also busy making food for tomorrow's breakfast, when it's just mr and Mr. LRLR. I want to be lazy on xmas morning, so I'm making do-ahead cranberry-orange buns (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/11/cranberry-orange-breakfast-buns/) where all I'll have to do in the morning is pop them in the oven and then later ice them, and a corn, cheddar, and scallion strata (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/09/corn-cheddar-and-scallion-strata/) where again I just have to pop in the oven in the am. (I add bacon to that one. BECAUSE BACON.)

MooMoo
12-24-2015, 01:22 PM
You're killing me, UUDD. ;___;

upupdowndown
12-24-2015, 01:28 PM
well, I had today and yesterday off, which makes it easier.

Dadgum Roi
12-24-2015, 01:37 PM
We've got a beef to do, should I slow cook it? I dont want to potentially ruin £15 of meat, so ideas welcome. :)

Depends on the cut. The more fat and connective tissue it has, the more suitable for slow cooking it will be. If you have a brisket, cook it until sometime in 2016. If you've got something lean like a London broil, you want high heat for a short amount of time, serve rare. Lean cuts will dry out and taste like shit if you cook them too long.

MooMoo
12-24-2015, 01:57 PM
The problem with my family after suggesting all these roast sprouts and rare beefs is that my mum tends to go "but I like boiled carrots" or whatever. They aren't the most sophisticated bunch. :T I'll wangle my honeyed whatevers in there somewhere though. I'm determined to roast at least 3 sprouts.

Grignr
12-25-2015, 04:08 PM
This happened with my parents when my wife & I prepared the holiday dinner.
"We like the little square reheat rolls you buy in the aluminum pan, not fresh yeast rolls you made from scratch! Those are traditional!" They even brought their own some years or had us find them in our grocery store if they couldn't.

They didn't go for the cooked-on-the-smoker brined turkey, either.

I sure am posting a lot today, with it being Christmas and all...

MooMoo
12-25-2015, 05:37 PM
So I did my honeyed parsnips and carrots and they were sexy. B) Sherry and honey, shove in a tin with olive oil and BAM sex-veg.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Ham + Coca-Cola = yum.

Violentvixen
12-26-2015, 10:31 AM
GROSS

boiled sprouts are mushy and gross. Roasted sprouts are crisp and delicious.

My family did some sort of horrifying boiled sprouts with cream of mushroom this year. Bleah.

Dadgum Roi
12-26-2015, 12:50 PM
...some sort of horrifying boiled sprouts with cream of mushroom...

This sounds like it belongs in the Demon's/Dark Souls thread. Valley of Defilement 3, IIRC.

Paul le Fou
12-26-2015, 02:56 PM
My family did some sort of horrifying boiled sprouts with cream of mushroom this year. Bleah.

Sounds like it would go great with a tomato jello salad

Violentvixen
12-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Sounds like it would go great with a tomato jello salad

There was a liverball so it wouldn't have been out of place.

In seriousness, the meal was fine and they hosted a nice Christmas, but a couple dishes were things I just never even consider eating or making and don't see made by anyone in my generation.