PDA

View Full Version : Persona 3

Pages : [1] 2 3

djSyndrome
06-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I'd like to pay the balance off on one of my pre-orders.
Okay, what do you have pre-ordered?
Persona 3. It's in your system under 'Shin Megami Tensei'. If you search for 'Persona 3' it won't come up, because your corporate office doesn't believe in wildcard searches.
Here it is. Hey, is this the game where you shoot yourself in the head?
Yes. You should ignore the M rating and sell as many copies of it as possible to impressionable children. How much do I owe you again?

(true conversation with GameStop Counter Jockey, 6/12/07)

So it's just about here. I've read mixed things about it from the retards at GameFaqs, including bitching that we're not getting FES (be thankful we're getting P3 at all), moaning about Atlus shitting up the boxart (http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ADLGypT9L._SS500_.jpg) (it will likely have a reversible cover), and carping about the high-school sim elements (because stifling creativity is good, and we should only get rigid FF-style RPGs here in the states). I'm expecting it to get solid 7.5's from critics, praising it's battle system but chiding its randomly generated dungeon and lengthy dialogue. I'm also expecting it to sell out in about six minutes, since Atlus apparently has a habit of printing (preorders * 1.035) copies of each of their titles. It doesn't matter, because this game is going to be unmitigated awesome.

To say I'm excited about this game would be an understatement.

To say I'm excited about this game would be a colossal understatement.

Have I mentioned that it's available for pre-order?

spineshark
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
So uhh, I guess you really did lose your job in that other thread. >_<

I'm excited about this game. A lot. Probably not as much as you. I'd preorder but there aren't actually any Gamestops that are convenient from my house...because I don't have a driver's license. Oh well, maybe I'll bother one of these days.

The new box art is super-cool. I don't know if I can adequately express how much I love it.

Jakanden
06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm excited about this game. A lot. Probably not as much as you.

That about sums it up for me. I will be ordering mine through NCSX as I can wait for the delivery so I don't need to go to EB/GS.

shivam
06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
i stayed at work late practically every night because i couldnt tear myself away from the preview build of persona. day 1, for sure.

Daydreamer
06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm all for creativity, but Atlus? You think you can maybe find a chance to bring updated versions of SMT1 and 2 over here? True 3d DS versions would be awesome, but I'd settle for the GBA port if need be.

djSyndrome
06-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm all for creativity, but Atlus? You think you can maybe find a chance to bring updated versions of SMT1 and 2 over here? True 3d DS versions would be awesome, but I'd settle for the GBA port if need be.

It would take little work for Atlus to port SMT I and II to the DS. Translating them, on the other hand, would be another matter entirely.

Still, we got Etrian Odyssey, didn't we?

gamin
06-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Is the soundtrack included with the game, or is it only a preorder bonus from GameStop? It'd be easier for me just to get it from Amazon.

sraymonds
06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Thinking about Persona 3 makes me want to play my other Shin Megami Tensai games, but I don't have the time :(

Deadguy2322
06-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I haven't decided yet whether I am boycotting Atlus for their abusive publishing policies, or I am just never able to find their stuff unless I luck out.

tungwene
06-14-2007, 03:34 PM
This is the first time I've seen the NA boxart and I'd have to say it looks pretty awesome. I'm of two minds about this game at this point. On the one hand I'm all OMG IT'S MORE PERSONA!!!11 but on the other I'm worried about stuff like the rest of your party being controlled by AI which just feels weird in a turn based battle system. The high school simulation aspect sounds really fascinating to me. My boyfriend and I were having a conversation just the other day about how there really aren't many RPGs where the choices you make create tiny changes in the way you experience the game aside from alternate endings and such and I brought up this game as an a possible example. Okay, I don't know for certain not having had the chance to play it yet but I think P3 has that potential.

djSyndrome
06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
My boyfriend and I were having a conversation just the other day about how there really aren't many RPGs where the choices you make create tiny changes in the way you experience the game aside from alternate endings and such and I brought up this game as an a possible example.

SMT: Nocturne does this in a big way.

Or at least that's what I've been told. I'm nowhere near finishing the game yet.

Jakanden
06-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Most of the SMT games have that effect.

Calorie Mate
06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
The last Harry Potter and this in the same week?

Best summer ever.

sraymonds
06-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, if you don't want to get technical, yeah, they are released within less than a week of each other.

tungwene
06-14-2007, 10:43 PM
SMT: Nocturne does this in a big way.

Or at least that's what I've been told. I'm nowhere near finishing the game yet.I find that if an RPG's too open-ended I tend to lose interest very quickly. I haven't played Nocturne myself so I don't know if that's the case. My introduction to the series was Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and beyond that I've only played the DDS games which are pretty linear themselves. I already know this one's going to be a departure from the regular Persona spin-off series but I'm hoping there's still going to be a good overarching driving plot to it.

tungwene
06-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Persona 3's overall structure is most similar to the original Valkyrie Profile's. (And maybe VP2's; I dunno, I haven't played that one.) There's a ton of options open to you, but there's also a ticking clock, and you have to manage your time wisely. So it's kind of the best of both linearity and open-ended stuff.That's cool then. As I was going down my mental list of open-ended RPGs I liked the only two that I could think of were VP and Chrono Trigger. VP2, I felt, was very linear with an optional dungeon thrown in here or there but then again I never got very far into it.

MechaX
06-14-2007, 11:56 PM
I've read mixed things about it from the retards at GameFaqs, including bitching that we're not getting FES (be thankful we're getting P3 at all), moaning about Atlus shitting up the boxart (http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ADLGypT9L._SS500_.jpg) (it will likely have a reversible cover), and carping about the high-school sim elements (because stifling creativity is good, and we should only get rigid FF-style RPGs here in the states).

Don't worry, GameFaqs has stepped up their game.

Now some are complaining about the dubs, and some are still in a hysteria that P3 will be the Dawn of Mana of the MegaTen series because one guy didn't like it that much.

Sure, I'll still love it unconditionally, but this does arouse fear in my heart. Or.. something like that.

djSyndrome
06-14-2007, 11:56 PM
i stayed at work late practically every night because i couldnt tear myself away from the preview build of persona. day 1, for sure.

You're not allowed to play it until you beat Dragon Quest VIII.

tungwene
06-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Don't worry, GameFaqs has stepped up their game.

Now some are complaining about the dubs, and some are still in a hysteria that P3 will be the Dawn of Mana of the MegaTen series because one guy didn't like it that much.

Sure, I'll still love it unconditionally, but this does arouse fear in my heart. Or.. something like that.I'm glad I don't pay regular attention to gamefaqs. I think I'd have to check myself into a mental institution if I did. I think I stopped paying attention once the "Wah, wah, where'd Kaneko go? OMG this is gonna suck!" started.

spineshark
06-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Persona 3's overall structure is most similar to the original Valkyrie Profile's. (And maybe VP2's; I dunno, I haven't played that one.) There's a ton of options open to you, but there's also a ticking clock, and you have to manage your time wisely. So it's kind of the best of both linearity and open-ended stuff.
That's cool. Can you also blow off your time like in VP? I mean, you practically had to in that one because the game gives you so much, but...

discoalucard
06-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm expecting it to get solid 7.5's from critics, praising it's battle system but chiding its randomly generated dungeon and lengthy dialogue.

Actually I wouldn't expect people to praise it because of the battle system. You only control one character and the rest are taken over by the AI. Heck, for the most part, you can technically only equip yourself. IIRC correctly you can give items to your teammates but you can't change their Personae.

I actually went into this one expecting to hate it, because I loathe random dungeon crawling and dating/life sim elements, but it does somehow balance them really well, and I ended up having a lot of fun when I played it. Definitely looking forward to the English release.

shivam
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
that reminds me, i need to get in on the review.

djSyndrome
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
The first seven minutes of the game can be seen right here (http://high-scoreonline.com/2007/06/20/persona-3-footage/).

shivam
06-25-2007, 12:17 PM
bah. i was at the first 35th hour of the game when i was unceremoniously relieved of my post =)

djSyndrome
06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Shivam, speaking of Atlus, did you ever buy DDS 1 and 2? I just finished 1 on Saturday and it was absolutely incredible. I'm going back through it a second time before playing 2, since lots of things transfer over to the second game.

shivam
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
i'm still borrowing bettenhausen's, but i've been so busy with finishing up my book and other projects that i havent had the chance to get back to it.

djSyndrome
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
It's not terribly long. I finished it in about 32 hours and fought two optional bosses in the process.

Of course, it's going to take a lot longer than that to make it to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcmudGWwMQ&mode=related&search=) point.

Jakanden
06-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Shivam, speaking of Atlus, did you ever buy DDS 1 and 2? I just finished 1 on Saturday and it was absolutely incredible. I'm going back through it a second time before playing 2, since lots of things transfer over to the second game.

I thought the overall ending of the game (at the end of 2) was totally weak and I was pretty pissed at it.

djSyndrome
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I thought the overall ending of the game (at the end of 2) was totally weak and I was pretty pissed at it.

That's disappointing - I thought the ending of 1 and the lead-in to 2 was pretty good (haven't played much of 2 yet).

DarkBlueFlannel
06-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I preordered this game for two reasons: 1. I really enjoy Persona 2, even though it's a masochistic enjoyment. and 2. I'm enamored of the visual style, most of all the menus whose beauty I wish to reveal to my graphic design instructor. This man being one who told me in veiled terms that video games and anime are no source for stylistic inspiration and ideas.

Jakanden
06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
That's disappointing - I thought the ending of 1 and the lead-in to 2 was pretty good (haven't played much of 2 yet).

The ending of 1 was awesome and really psyched me up for 2.

Don't get me wrong though, part 2 is still an awesome game, it just has a really crappy ending.

djSyndrome
07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Apparently the Fes expansion disc might be coming after all (http://www.siliconera.com/2007/07/02/atlus-at-anime-expo/).

**does happy dance**

TheSL
07-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Not exactly Persona related, but did anyone else get a Working Designs vibe out of this part of the article?

Growlanser: Heritage of War is Growlanser V, but it uses an enhanced game engine that makes it run smoother. The engine change also means the version localized by Atlus USA has smarter enemies than the original Japanese release. Instead of toning the difficulty down Atlus USA opted for the tougher difficulty.

Calorie Mate
07-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Apparently the Fes expansion disc might be coming after all (http://www.siliconera.com/2007/07/02/atlus-at-anime-expo/).

**does happy dance**

I'm already doubting I'll have the time Persona 3 will require me to sacrifice in just a few short weeks, but 70% more content? That's just insane.

djSyndrome
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Official website (http://www.atlus.com/persona3/) is up. Looks surprisingly like the Japanese one.

And it looks like Aegis got a name change (?!)

Jakanden
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I also doubt I will have the time to complete Persona 3, but I am damn sure gonna check it out.

tungwene
07-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I believe this is the first game I will ever play that has left the Japanese honorifics intact.

spineshark
07-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I preordered this game when I bought GrimGrimoire which was a while ago now, although I sort of forgot for a while. I'm actually going to be out of town that week until Saturday probably so I really hope my reservation isn't off by that time.

After checking out the English website, I'm really excited about this game now, more than even before even though I haven't found out much new. Also I have to say I find "Aigis" really funny.

djSyndrome
07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
The P3 website has been slightly updated with a picture of the package. Also, the entire Atlus site was redesigned, including the forums, and looks quite nice. The online shop's still closed, though :\

Cyrael
07-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I've been really excited for this game since I saw the first screenshots/videos, and I've never actually been sure why. But hey, I guess I'll find out if my anticipation will pay off come Wednesday.

Calorie Mate
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I have to wait for stupid Amazon to ship mine. Should hopefully get it by Friday, though.

j00ey
07-23-2007, 01:25 PM
I have to wait for stupid Amazon to ship mine. Should hopefully get it by Friday, though.

you won't!
(http://atlus.com/atlus_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116&sid=9d80399886f42e8c48b65304db295077)

Parish
07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
My advice would be not to hold out for Fes. Sure, it might come, but probably only if Persona 3 sells well... which it won't do if everyone holds out for Fes. Another bitter irony of niche gaming.

tungwene
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM
you won't!
(http://atlus.com/atlus_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116&sid=9d80399886f42e8c48b65304db295077)Damn! This has been the only thing I've been looking forward to this week. So how long of a delay will it take?

sraymonds
07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
you won't!
(http://atlus.com/atlus_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116&sid=9d80399886f42e8c48b65304db295077)

wha...in...god....damn....how...shit...oh hell. I guess I don't have to go to EBGamestop this Wednesday.

Maybe I should just hold out for Fes...

djSyndrome
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Guess I'll go play Final Fantasy II instead [/emoslashwrist]

No, seriously, it's awesome that they're delaying the game instead of just dumping the artbook or sending out a bad product. Respect++

Parish
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
PUNCHING YOU TO DEATH

marcalan
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
wha...in...god....damn....how...shit...oh hell. I guess I don't have to go to EBGamestop this Wednesday.

But, don't you need Persona 3 to play Fes in the first place? Besides if you don't buy it I WILL PERSONALLY BLAME YOU FOR FES NOT COMING OUT AND I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND USE A BASEBALL BAT ON YOUR NUTS!

So you see? You have nothing to lose.

djSyndrome
07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
But, don't you need Persona 3 to play Fes in the first place?

Yes. Which makes the rampant stupidity all the more puzzling.

Eusis
07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, Fes is more or less an expansion pack, right? It sounds meaty enough that they can just sell it alone for $30 or $40, so I'd figure everyone who wants it kinda needs to get Persona 3 to play it anyway. Ergo, no point in holding out.

Edit: Beaten in the whole 'needs Persona 3 to play it' regard, heh.

sraymonds
07-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I've already got a reserve for my copy. I also don't want to disappoint Tomm and Nich by not getting this game. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=10530&postcount=10)

djSyndrome
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
New date from GameStop is July 31st.

Now I have another week to try and finish Nocturne *.*

Jakanden
07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Damnit! My 360 will be back by then and this will likely get put on the back burner never to be finished. I wanted to play it while I was not distracted by the 360.

ringworm
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Historically I have loved Atlus, so I'm all for supporting them, however I have not played any of the prior Persona games. Will I be missing a lot if I pick up Persona 3 as my first stab at the series?

shivam
07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
you wont be missing anything. i'd never played an SMT game before persona 3, and i fell instantly in love with the game.

tungwene
07-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Historically I have loved Atlus, so I'm all for supporting them, however I have not played any of the prior Persona games. Will I be missing a lot if I pick up Persona 3 as my first stab at the series?No you will not be. Persona 3 has very little connection to the prior games. Also, I think this is going to be the first Persona game for most people on this forum.

marcalan
07-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Historically I have loved Atlus, so I'm all for supporting them, however I have not played any of the prior Persona games. Will I be missing a lot if I pick up Persona 3 as my first stab at the series?

Historically, my ass is owned by Atlus. MegaTen games are a sweet, sweet crack.

Calorie Mate
07-23-2007, 03:39 PM
No you will not be. Persona 3 has very little connection to the prior games. Also, I think this is going to be the first Persona game for most people on this forum.

I just hope I enjoy this one!

THAT LINK TO ATLUS DOESN'T WORK ON MY WORK COMPUTER! AM I TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE GAME'S BEEN DELAYED?! I NEED DETAILS, PEOPLE!

Eusis
07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
THAT LINK TO ATLUS DOESN'T WORK ON MY WORK COMPUTER! AM I TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE GAME'S BEEN DELAYED?! I NEED DETAILS, PEOPLE!

Yes. The artbook binding is ass so they're going to give them a stronger one. I've already seen bitching elsewhere about waiting too long as it is!

djSyndrome
07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Due to a manufacturing error with regard to the Persona 3 Art Book, the title will regretfully narrowly miss its scheduled ship date of July 24th, 2007. This was an unforeseen scenario, and one regretfully out of our control.

Presented with the choice of compromising on the quality of the art book, or shipping the game without said extra, we decided to have the art book redone with a higher quality binding, which will cause a very short delay in the ship date of the title.

While all other materials and packaging related to the game are complete, we were unwilling to sacrifice the art book, and as such will expedite the manufacturing process to the best of our ability in order to release the title as soon as is possible.

We appreciate your understanding and will release a formal announcement when Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 ships.

Calorie Mate
07-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Curses!

I blame Nich. It's his job to personally bind each art book, isn't it?

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 06:35 AM
I feel sorry for Nich. The Atlus boards are just really, really going to shit right now. Some dude asked for nude wallpapers as penance for the delay.

Mightyblue
07-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Why would you...., gah that's just weird and wholly inappropriate no matter how you think of it. Feel sorry for Nich and crew at Atlus though.

Jakanden
07-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Sheesh - it is only a week delay. The people on that forum need to freaking relax.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Sheesh - it is only a week delay. The people on that forum need to freaking relax.

Technically, we don't know how long the delay is - one of the Atlus staff posted that the 7/31 date was their 'best guess' and is subject to change. Regardless, they've given the impression that it won't be too long of a wait.

I haven't even bothered to venture over to the GameFaqs boards yet, mostly out of utter fear.

reibeatall
07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm glad it got delayed. I don't have the money to pick it up right now.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Do you get a discount on new games? I've always wondered about that.

reibeatall
07-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I get 15% off everything except NEW systems. I can also use the Gamestop card on used and get the extra 10% on top of the 15%. It's not really THAT much, but hey, every little bit counts.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
That's not too bad.

I was thinking of working there over the holidays for a little extra cash for Christmas presents for the kids (the discount wouldn't hurt much either). Is it something you'd recommend?

Jakanden
07-24-2007, 09:07 AM
I worked there as a side job over the 2006 holiday and enjoyed it quite a bit. There are the obvious retail things that universally, but since I was seasonal help, I didn't have to deal with a lot of it.

reibeatall
07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
As long as it's not management, I'd say go for it. Corporate really treats their managers (and assistant managers) like shit. The part time employees don't really see or get it, so it's good for them. They don't pay much, at least here in Texas.

However, I still love my job. I like telling people to buy games OTHER than Madden. I've sold so many copies of Etrian Odyssey to people that would have otherwise passed it up. And when those people come in and say that I recommended an excellent game, that's just awesome.

Daydreamer
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Praise the Lord and spread the Gospel, my brother.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Persona 3 is apparently PSM's game of the month.

Shivam, you didn't have anything to do with this, did you?

shivam
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
it is? i wish i did, and i entirely agree with the sentiment.

Cyrael
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
As long as it's not management, I'd say go for it. Corporate really treats their managers (and assistant managers) like shit.

As a former Gamestop Assistant Manager, I must wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

tungwene
07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
As long as it's not management, I'd say go for it. Corporate really treats their managers (and assistant managers) like shit. The part time employees don't really see or get it, so it's good for them. They don't pay much, at least here in Texas.

However, I still love my job. I like telling people to buy games OTHER than Madden. I've sold so many copies of Etrian Odyssey to people that would have otherwise passed it up. And when those people come in and say that I recommended an excellent game, that's just awesome.I wish my local Game Stop employees recommended good/interesting games to me. Every time I go in they ask me whether or not I want to reserve Phantom Hourglass (which started back in JANUARY) or Final Fantasy I & II.

ringworm
07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
You might just need get to know them. I found that once I started coming in and reserving games more-or-less regularly they stopped treating me like a faceless customer.

tungwene
07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
You might just need get to know them. I found that once I started coming in and reserving games more-or-less regularly they stopped treating me like a faceless customer.How often would you say more-or-less regularly is? Because I have been going to both stores for nearly four years and pop in at least every month or two and usually pre-order 2-5 games and I usually know exactly what want, which is often some obscure title the register guy's never heard of.

ringworm
07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Heh, well then you probably just have idiot register biscuits at yours. My local gamestop is relatively new and I've only been going in for about a year.

sraymonds
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Y'know, it helps if the employees aren't fucking douchebags. From a customer POV.

Eusis
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
So, umm, a new date's set (http://www.atlus.com/newsdetail.php?newsID=135). August 14th, ouch. I don't mind waiting longer, but I am bummed that the delay basically makes it into an early Holiday Rush title rather than a mid summer treat. Now there's only a week separating it and Bioshock.

tungwene
07-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh crap, I'm out of town on the 15th, which is the date it's going show up in stores. Time to leave the boyfriend a list of instructions.

MechaX
07-24-2007, 02:53 PM
A mere week or two apart from Metroid Prime 3 and BioShock... Damn, damn damn. Over an art book at that. Sorry to rant, but why can't they just ship the soundtrack with the game like they did with Digital Devil Saga 2, and have the art book as a second shipment inclusion or something for the people that want it?

... Anyway, the summer release was perfect, because it wasn't like we were buying anything else.

An August release is way too close for comfort for both me, and potential game sales. Getting dorm supplies, moving into the dorm, and paying outrageous fees for college books that will be useless in 5 months will pretty much drain my finances for a few weeks. And by the time I'd get my money back up, I'd be swamped in games like MP3, BioShock, Halo 3, Phoenix Wright 3, etc.

.. In other words, unless the amount of people that are still getting P3 are quite high, FES is almost completely out of the question at this point.

TheSL
07-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Sorry to rant, but why can't they just ship the soundtrack with the game like they did with Digital Devil Saga 2, and have the art book as a second shipment inclusion or something for the people that want it?

Did you even read the post on Atlus' site? They explained it.

Eusis
07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't really think it'll affect sales that much. Most people that want it have it preordered I figure and are set on getting this. I think non-preorder sales could be screwed though. It's worth waiting longer for the artbook, it's just unfortunate that the timing is so close to so many heavy hitters. I kinda suspected the artbook issue couldn't be resolved in a mere week anyway.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 02:59 PM
A mere week or two apart from Metroid Prime 3 and BioShock... Damn, damn damn. Over an art book at that. Sorry to rant, but why can't they just ship the soundtrack with the game like they did with Digital Devil Saga 2, and have the art book as a second shipment inclusion or something for the people that want it?

Are you going to pay for shipping the art book separately? Because UPS isn't cheap, son.

An August release is way too close for comfort for both me, and potential game sales. Getting dorm supplies, moving into the dorm, and paying outrageous fees for college books that will be useless in 5 months will pretty much drain my finances for a few weeks. And by the time I'd get my money back up, I'd be swamped in games like MP3, BioShock, Halo 3, Phoenix Wright 3, etc.

You can, of course, solve this by a) budgeting your money (gasp!), or b) pre-paying for the game - if the money's not in your pocket, you can't spend it on something else, right?

In other words, unless the amount of people that are still getting P3 are quite high, FES is almost completely out of the question at this point.

I'm so glad you work for Atlus and can tell us exactly what they're thinking!

Jakanden
So, umm, a new date's set (http://www.atlus.com/newsdetail.php?newsID=135). August 14th, ouch. I don't mind waiting longer, but I am bummed that the delay basically makes it into an early Holiday Rush title rather than a mid summer treat. Now there's only a week separating it and Bioshock.

Damn - that gives me two weeks or so before Bioshock

MechaX
Did you even read the post on Atlus' site? They explained it.

Yeah, I did. But the situation with the damaged overall box is not what I'm referring to.

It ships with the game box (One like the box that DDS1 came with), not the actual game case (like how DDS2 was shipped, with the soundtrack packaged on the back of it, or similar to Nocturne, with the soundtrack in the actual game case).

Eusis
07-24-2007, 03:02 PM
DDS2's music CD was a preorder bonus they handed you when you picked up the game. Wasn't part of the packaging at all. As I recall, that was done because of SMT:N doing it.

MechaX
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
You can, of course, solve this by a) budgeting your money (gasp!), or b) pre-paying for the game - if the money's not in your pocket, you can't spend it on something else, right?

You seem quite testy about me actually voicing something contrary, especially since I'm not even at the point where I'm spouting "Down with Atlus! I'm not buying the game!", but more so slightly disappointed in the delay. If anything, college constraints pose more of a primary problem or irritance.

As for pre-paying, it's not as if I can pre-pay at a Gamestop that I won't even be remotely near when school starts. And transferring pre-orders from store to store doesn't work. Roommate who works at Gamestop already attempted that.

I'm so glad you work for Atlus and can tell us exactly what they're thinking!

And I'm glad that you didn't notice that I said it's nearly out of the question, as in, it still remains a possibility (Well, insofar as what 1Up/EGM's Shane alludes to when FES's sales-related hypothetical release is concerned).

DDS2's music CD was a preorder bonus they handed you when you picked up the game. Wasn't part of the packaging at all. As I recall, that was done because of SMT:N doing it.

I was never handed the soundtrack separately nor did I ever preorder DDS2. But I could see this matter resolved simply by a re-shrink-wrapping by the local Gamestop, and it wouldn't be the first time they gave away preorder items at the time of purchase (Hell, one of the clerks even allowed me to get Kingdom Hearts II out of the shipping box, despite how they neither had enough copies left over for a non-reserver nor did their policies allow it, if that hints to that particular store's 'ethics').

Tomm Guycot
07-24-2007, 03:09 PM

... Anyway, the summer release was perfect, because it wasn't like we were buying anything else.

.. In other words, unless the amount of people that are still getting P3 are quite high, FES is almost completely out of the question at this point.

They can't send them separately cause this isn't an amazon.com problem - it's a production issue. What, do you expect retail locations to issue everyone a special "artbook ticket" so they can return in a month to get their pack in? Geez.

And the reason soundtrack CD's don't ship in the case is because then you have to cut down the size of the manual to allow for space (Sony regulation) and in an RPG, you kind of want that manual.

Eusis
07-24-2007, 03:13 PM
(Hell, one of the clerks even allowed me to get Kingdom Hearts II out of the shipping box, despite how they neither had enough copies left over for a non-reserver nor did their policies allow it, if that hints to that particular store's 'ethics').

Ok, completely off topic, but what the hell? It's Square, it's Disney, ordering only enough to fill pre-orders on that huge of a game seems like one of the stupidest things to possibly do.

Edit: And I'm afraid this might be prying, so if it's not OK to answer then whatever, but was that regulation some post-2004 thing? Aside from SMT:N, there was Growlanser, and that case feels like it could explode. I could definitely see those two cases (moreso Growlanser) making Sony implant such a policy.

MechaX
07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Ok, completely off topic, but what the hell? It's Square, it's Disney, ordering only enough to fill pre-orders on that huge of a game seems like one of the stupidest things to possibly do.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that the Gamestop clerk was exaggerating or just plain wrong, but I can only account with what both of the clerks mentioned; They had a lot of preorders, and they only got the shipment with an amount to supply only those that preordered.

Calorie Mate
07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm disappointed by the timing too. This is basically forcing me to choose between it and Metroid Prime 3, with whatever I end up passing on not getting played until February of next year or so.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 03:21 PM
You seem quite testy about me actually voicing something contrary, especially since I'm not even at the point where I'm spouting "Down with Atlus! I'm not buying the game!", but more so slightly disappointed in the delay. If anything, college constraints pose more of a primary problem or irritance.

I'm testy because I've spent the last two days reading every sort of stupid excuse and whiny complaint imaginable regarding the delay. Someone on the Atlus board is moving to Europe in the interim, and he somehow managed to figure out a solution. I highly doubt you're going that far.

And I'm glad that you didn't notice that I said it's nearly out of the question, as in, it still remains a possibility (Well, insofar as what 1Up/EGM's Shane alludes to when FES's sales-related hypothetical release is concerned).

Seriously, why the emphasis on FES? Why are people talking about it now? Is the decision regarding FES going to impact whether or not you purchase P3? That's kind of like saying you won't buy a new car unless they promise to install a new engine for you in two years. Buy the game, support Atlus in the process, and maybe they'll bring FES over if it makes economic sense. They are a business, after all.

MechaX
07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm testy because I've spent the last two days reading every sort of stupid excuse and whiny complaint imaginable regarding the delay. Someone on the Atlus board is moving to Europe in the interim, and he somehow managed to figure out a solution. I highly doubt you're going that far.

Unfortunately, you're going to be testy for a while if you continue to let a minor thing like somebody complaining about a delay that fails to affect your purchase drive you to even the slightest fervor.

Additionally, I don't see how a "situation" really applies in this situation, as nothing pertenant absolutely needs to be solved. School priority is a given, whether I like it or not. And the listing of other heavy hitters or games of interest is not there to propose a dilemma, but rather as a concrete way of proposing disappointment with the release.

EDIT: Also, interesting input on the SEP Field. While the use was rather daunting (and definitely subtlety insulting), it still gives me another reason to put of my procrastination in actually reading the books. I have to humbly thank you for that.

Seriously, why the emphasis on FES? Why are people talking about it now? Is the decision regarding FES going to impact whether or not you purchase P3? That's kind of like saying you won't buy a new car unless they promise to install a new engine for you in two years. Buy the game, support Atlus in the process, and maybe they'll bring FES over if it makes economic sense. They are a business, after all.

I don't know about other buyers, but I was not intending to allude to FES overshadowing the initial purchase. If FES comes out, that's fine. If it doesn't, it's apparent that P3 still holds it's own weight as it was intended to do (Especially if FES was a bonus or 'reward'). Over, as an RPG enthusiast, it's a good addition as it manages to add 30 hours worth of content to an already beefy game.

If it doesn't make it over, I won't consider it a deathly loss, but merely a minor wound that I'll get over in 30 minutes.

djSyndrome
07-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I removed the SEP reference because I need to save it for a much, much more suitable time and recipient. Like for, say, Philliam.

And as far as the internet douchery goes, no, it doesn't affect me personally. Nothing on the internet does.

MechaX
07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Who said it was affecting you on a personal level? Things can affect people in more ways than just on a personal basis (If even on a temporary basis). The very response you gave already confirms that.

But eh. *Shrug*. You have your reason.

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
The first 42 minutes of the game can be found here (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/86990.html).

I'm not watching it myself, but I'd assume spoilers may be involved.

ringworm
07-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I went in and pre-ordered P3 the other day. It is weird that I'm getting this excited for a game I barely knew existed 2 weeks ago.

I consider myself and RPG fan and moderately knowledgeable about video games in general, so it was really odd to me to start looking into these MegaTen games and seeing how many there are. I don't know how this stuff completely slipped under my radar for all these years.

MechaX
07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I love GameFAQs.

I put aside my urge to watch the 40 minute video on GT so I could keep the suspense and surprise to myself.

And naturally, some smuck decides to spoil the ending of the game in a topic on the front page. And believe me, it was a major detail that was spoiled. To anybody here who has beaten the game or to future players, you'll understand in time.

With the amount of buzz that P3 has been getting as of late (Extremely favorable reviews juxtaposed to heavily negative impressions from importers), P3 will never be safe from surprise spoilers.

... Or maybe that's just the GFaqs message boards talking... But I do have to say, that one detail dealt a major blow for my anticipation for the game. Sure, I'll still get it on day one and love it, but...

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
And naturally, some smuck decides to spoil the ending of the game in a topic on the front page. And believe me, it was a major detail that was spoiled. To anybody here who has beaten the game or to future players, you'll understand in time.

That really, really sucks :(

Jakanden
07-26-2007, 11:32 AM
That really, really sucks :(

Agreed, I am glad I didn't check the link.

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Agreed, I am glad I didn't check the link.

The spoilers that MechaX ran across were on the GameFaqs boards. I linked to the GameTrailers video which, so far, doesn't have any spoilers in the comments, although I can't say the same for the video (I haven't watched it yet).

edit: from Tony of DDDB on the Atlus (http://www.atlus.com/atlus_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=242&sid=6db12639e3362536210bc12b5676e36b&start=15)boards (the guy who uploaded the vid):

Anyway, clearly, if you want to be completely fresh going into this do not watch it. I can't be more direct about that... at the same time, there's surprisingly little revealed during this portion of the game compared to what comes later. If you've at all kept up with previous trailers -- from either Japan or elsewhere -- you've probably seen many of the things that happen in this video before. The game just gets better, more complex and more interesting. It doesn't even get into the battle mechanics really, the Persona system, the meat of the story, the ability to basically do what you want each day, the more interesting aspects of the characters (all of which I personally feel, so far, are very well realized here - the localization and voices are generally fitting and solid) or anything else. It's the most linear portion of the game. To some people, that might be all the more reason to wait and avoid this like the plague.

Makkara
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I watched the video for a bit. The game seems pretty cool, (although you don't really learn anything about the gameplay) but please tell me you can choose Japanese voices! I don't think I could stand hearing Yukari being pronounced Youcaree and Junpei Junepay for very long. It would have been better if they had changed the names to something that sounds good in an American accent.

shivam
07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
nope, it was all american voices, and i rather enjoyed it. the music is so good that the voices become tolerable, and frankly, i love that the pronounciations are going to tweak the hell out of all the purists out there.

alexb
07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Except that the setting is still clearly a Japanese school. It wasn't bad on Atlus's part to keep the original names. I think this is really more a reflection on the professionalism of the voice actors. As far as I'm concerned, if you're making your living dubbing Japanese games and movies, you really should at least learn authentic Japanese pronunciation if not the language itself. And shivam, you're just speaking out of schadenfreude at those who still like the Japanese.

Parish
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Seriously, why the emphasis on FES? Why are people talking about it now?
What do you mean, "now"? People freaked out about FES the minute it was announced for Japan and not for America.

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
What do you mean, "now"? People freaked out about FES the minute it was announced for Japan and not for America.

Precisely. I would have figured that the furor would have died down by now, but I guess that's just putting too much faith in people.

Makkara
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
nope, it was all american voices, and i rather enjoyed it. the music is so good that the voices become tolerable, and frankly, i love that the pronounciations are going to tweak the hell out of all the purists out there.

But changing the names would have tweaked the purists even more, while leaving those of us who care about aural aesthetics happy.

Oh, and Alex, who is to say that all schools won't be like that in the futuristic world of 2009?

shivam
07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
And shivam, you're just speaking out of schadenfreude at those who still like the Japanese.

that's the truth, right there. its very petty of me, i know.

and i'll admit that the first thing i looked for was a switch to flip on the japanese voices, since their battle phrases got old fast.

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
and i'll admit that the first thing i looked for was a switch to flip on the japanese voices, since their battle phrases got old fast.

I'd assume the Japanese feel the same way about hearing the battle phrases in their native tongue.

alexb
07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm telling you, we need a "Seal" option for voices.

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm telling you, we need a "Seal" option for voices.

http://emol.org/music/images/seal.gif

MechaX
07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
But changing the names would have tweaked the purists even more

The factor of mispronunciation mishaps, even at the expense of bickering from the purists, should be a backseat concern when compared to changing names and entire ethnicities, like the first Persona did.

But hey, can't satisfy everyone. You'll always find purists that want the game to be released, but will be the first to complain if it isn't entirely in Japanese or if there are some minor mispronunciations or mistranslations here and there.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're making your living dubbing Japanese games and movies, you really should at least learn authentic Japanese pronunciation if not the language itself.

Given how year-long time consuming it is to learn Japanese, the latter is out by default. And given how they're not native, the voice actors are doing the best they can to not completely mangle the pronunciations. And I'd slightly prefer to not hear the English equivalent of "Engrish", so to speak.

I'd assume the Japanese feel the same way about hearing the battle phrases in their native tongue.

I'd bet that's the case. They also have a similar case of prefering an exotic/not-something-they-understand language to go with their video games. Or at least, Square-Enix thinks so. (FFX-International, FFX-2 International, Kingdom Hearts I and II Final Mix, FFXII-International).

Eusis
07-26-2007, 12:45 PM
since their battle phrases got old fast.
FUCK. Now that's something I'm worried about, it's half the reason I kept AI in Japanese, the other half being those bug issues. Not that that kept the ending from locking up on me.

I mentally pronounce Junpei as, uhhh, June-pay, and if you want to be an asshole you could say the Japanese need to learn English pronunciation if they're going to be spouting off English words so often. Probably a good idea for actors to learn how to pronounce foreign words properly admittedly, but I don't consider it that big of a deal.

alexb
07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
http://personal.ecu.edu/bakera/trueseal.jpg

sraymonds
07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I hear that P3 is like a kiss from a rose on the grave.

Makkara
07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I mentally pronounce Junpei as, uhhh, June-pay, and if you want to be an asshole you could say the Japanese need to learn English pronunciation if they're going to be spouting off English words so often. Probably a good idea for actors to learn how to pronounce foreign words properly admittedly, but I don't consider it that big of a deal.

One thing about Japanese is that it has a fuckton of English loanwords. Because Japanese is made up of syllables that always end in a vowel, (except n) and because it doesn't have many of the sounds used in English, the words get pretty heavily bastardized in the process. But since the words are now part of the Japanese language, the pronunciation is actually correct. Likewise, I don't complain when people don't pronounce tycoon taikun.

However, sometimes characters in anime actually try to speak English, and more often than not it's absolutely gag-inducing. Of course, sometimes it's pretty funny, too. (http://azumangomg.ytmnd.com/)

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Alexb, you now have to use Sealman (Man-seal?) as your avatar.

shivam
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
one of my favorite anime shows, Beck, has a main character who is supposedly bilingual in cool kid english. its the most painful thing i've ever heard =)

MechaX
07-26-2007, 02:08 PM
one of my favorite anime shows, Beck, has a main character who is supposedly bilingual in cool kid english. its the most painful thing i've ever heard =)

Yeah, it's pretty painful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOTFEL4fjX4) (Warning: Video has unneeded strong language, and extremely thick Japanese accents)

tungwene
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I think Japanese compared to most languages is much easier to learn to pronounce to correctly than most languages. Once you familiarize yourself with how each syllable is supposed to be correctly pronounced that's it. Every syllable is supposed to be pronounced the way it's spelled which is a hell of a lot easier to remember than, say, English.

Er, I think I can live with the butchered pronunciations. I've resigned myself to the fact that even in the best anime dubs there's always going to be at least one person who can't pronounce every one's names correctly.

Makkara
07-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, it's pretty painful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOTFEL4fjX4) (Warning: Video has unneeded strong language, and extremely thick Japanese accents)

I think you're being unfair, it wasn't that bad*. You should apologize to these kid!

* Yes it was, but I had to make the joke work. Still, I've heard much, much worse.

Excitemike
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I hear that P3 is like a kiss from a rose on the grave.

No, we're never gonna survive...
Unless this thread gets one more Seal reference.

djSyndrome
07-26-2007, 02:39 PM
No, we're never gonna survive...
Unless this thread gets one more Seal reference.

http://img.consumating.com/photos/14476/large/54335.jpg

Seal clubbing.

spineshark
07-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Heh, so I was out camping this week, got back and got ready to go to the store, and then I checked this forum first...which was a good move.

I'm a little disappointed since I was getting pretty excited, but now it's sort of like a "week before college" treat so I'm basically cool with that.

shivam
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070806.jpg

ringworm
08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
So Good. I would totally play the game with teenage wizards casting spells by having unprotected ghost-sex.

Calorie Mate
08-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I heard they delayed the game to add that in.

tungwene
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Is Atlus HQ really pink?

Daydreamer
08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Is Atlus HQ really pink?

Originally it was a deep forest green, but with all the blood from all the teenage suicides they decided to redecorate to a color that wouldn't highlight the blood so much.

spineshark
08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I saw the strategy guide in a store today, and I couldn't say no. This being, ironically, the first time I've bought a strategy guide for anything, and the game isn't even out yet! I perused some of the less useful parts just because I had it and managed to spoil some minor details (like item names, which are definitely laugh-worthy) which I'll leave out of this thread for obvious reasons.

One more week! It seemed so far away right after the delay was announced, but now it doesn't feel so bad.

Tomm Guycot
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Is Atlus HQ really pink?

One, that is clearly supposed to be Atlus Japan.

Two, those are clearly Japanese guys.

Three, Persona would have been created in Japan.

Healy
08-07-2007, 11:40 PM
The guy on the right looks enough like Bruce Campbell to throw people off, though.

Actually, before you pointed that out, Tomm, I thought that guy was either Nich, or that Jerry Holkins had forgotten you left the company and drew that to be you. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot. :/

tungwene
08-07-2007, 11:41 PM
One, that is clearly supposed to be Atlus Japan.

Two, those are clearly Japanese guys.

Three, Persona would have been created in Japan.So, is it pink? You're one of two people on this board who'd be qualified to confirm this.

Tomm Guycot
08-08-2007, 01:26 AM
The guy on the right looks enough like Bruce Campbell to throw people off, though.

Actually, before you pointed that out, Tomm, I thought that guy was either Nich, or that Jerry Holkins had forgotten you left the company and drew that to be you. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot. :/

Neither of those people looks like either of us, though. o_O

djSyndrome
08-13-2007, 07:48 AM
So, are we not allowed to discuss this until September, then?

Eusis
08-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Looking at GameStop's site, well crap. They say that due to manufacturing delays, shipping is pushed back to the 18th, and that's an estimate.

Cyrael
08-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Lies from what I heard. Went into Gamestop today and they had pulled their Reservation SKU, which from what I remember in my days there meant it had shipped.

Eusis
08-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Well, here's GameStop's page, it's listed above the Bonus Offer box. (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281719) I'm guessing it's kinda too late to put in more preorders anyway, it is a 4 day delay.

shivam
08-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Nich says it ships tomorrow.

Eusis
08-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Huh. Wonder what that's all about on their site then. If it's some screw up with GameStop themselves, then I guess that wouldn't affect my Amazon order.

djSyndrome
08-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Huh. Wonder what that's all about on their site then. If it's some screw up with GameStop themselves, then I guess that wouldn't affect my Amazon order.

The 'ship date' is still 8/14 - the 8/18 in the text is an error that GS has decided to leave in place. There was much discussion about this on the Atlus boards.

Besides, 8/18 is a Saturday :P

Eusis
08-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I thought that was a weird time. Stupid GameStop. Thanks for clarifying it guys. :P

spineshark
08-14-2007, 01:15 AM
So, are we not allowed to discuss this until September, then?
If, for some reason, we're not (which I would find rather absurd) I'd love to have it out on AIM or something.

sraymonds
08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
So I just got the call from creepy Gamestop woman AI construct, and it made me question things. Like how I pronounce Shin Megami Tensei.

I've always pronounced it Shin MEH-GAH-ME Ten-sigh. The lady voice pronounced it Shin Mega-me Ten-say.

The very foundations of my belief system has just crumbled.

Mightyblue
08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
It's Tensei right? Not Tensai? Because you generally pronounce "sei" like "say" in English.

jovewolf
08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey I got that call, except it was on my voicemail.

For extra creepiness, the Gamestop AI Construct Woman sounds exactly like my voicemail AI Construct Woman, making me wonder just how much of the network she controls.

sraymonds
08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I feel better about being wrong in the pronunciation now, because I've been thinking it's Tensai for the longest of times.

It's a damn shame that we don't all live in the same area, because after we all got our copies of P3, we'd gather in a group, hold our games tight, and then jump in the air. FREEZE FRAME. ROLL CREDITS

FIN

Eusis
08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I pronounce it May-gah-me ten-say myself. Also, somewhat ironically since I brought up that GameStop thing Amazon's put up an estimate of 18th for when they'll ship mine. I'll just have to wait and see, but it IS free shipping so I suppose I can't really complain too much.

Edit: Actually, meh-gah-me here too. I imagined it in my head then said it, and both are valid to me. The may is probably just from paying too much attention to the word, if that makes sense.

Tomm Guycot
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Guys? It's Japanese, so there's only one way to pronounce it.

Shin Meh-gah-mee Ten-say

That's it. No colloquial pronounciations.

djSyndrome
08-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Guys? It's Japanese, so there's only one way to pronounce it.

Because everyone on earth knows how to accurately pronounce Japanese.

Besides, half of this board just got a call from the EbStop Robo-Ho and her fantastic bungling of the translation. Let us have our fun.

Tomm Guycot
08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Because everyone on earth knows how to accurately pronounce Japanese.

It's not all that hard.

Jakanden
08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
It's not all that hard.

Agreed, the rules are pretty cut and dry when it comes to pronunciation.

shivam
08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
yeah, but expecting everyone to know the rules is a bit much. it's still a foreign language, guys.

Tomm Guycot
08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
yeah, but expecting everyone to know the rules is a bit much. it's still a foreign language, guys.

Normally I would find a bunch of anime/game titles that we all know how to pronounce that compose the syllables in SMT. But I'm just not feeling that snarky tonight.

But seriously guys--if you can live and breathe our collective hobby, you can pronounce any Japanese word. Promise.

ringworm
08-14-2007, 11:03 PM
EbStop Robo-Ho
GASP! Don't talk about my Aeris that way. Her lovely robo-voice sustains me during the Dark Times.

Makkara
08-15-2007, 01:50 AM
The lady voice pronounced it Shin Mega-me Ten-say.

Yeah, that's about right. I mean, if you want to get picky, the mi in Megami is shorter than an English me, but it's close enough for a Robo-Ho.

switchbeat
08-15-2007, 08:15 AM
I preordered, but Amazon's delivery time frame is Aug 31-Sep 7. Booo.

dosboot
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
It's a damn shame that we don't all live in the same area, because after we all got our copies of P3, we'd gather in a group, hold our games tight, and then jump in the air. FREEZE FRAME. ROLL CREDITS

FIN

I couldn't stop laughing at this one.

djSyndrome
08-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Guys, you're all going to need PS3's or really, really big memory cards to play this game. The save file is 67 MB :p

Jakanden
08-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Mine should be delivered tomorrow afternoon which gives me enough time to finish my Overlord achievements.

jovewolf
08-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Guys, you're all going to need PS3's or really, really big memory cards to play this game. The save file is 67 MB :p

Man I do hope that's a typo of some kind.

djSyndrome
08-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Man I do hope that's a typo of some kind.

It is a typo.

Picking mine up in a couple of hours. Can't play it until after 8:00 tonight, though.

marcalan
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
My copy is on its way!

But it can't come soon enough! I want it now motherfuckers! NOW!

...Sorry, my inner fanboy is trying to escape. I read 1up's review and it just confirmed my expectations.

Ah well, I'll just balm my soul with Ar Tonelico and its thinly vieled sexual innuendo. Let's go Diving into Aurica!

Jakanden
08-15-2007, 10:30 AM
It is a typo.

Picking mine up in a couple of hours. Can't play it until after 8:00 tonight, though.

I guessed as much since the largest I am aware of is a 64 MB memory card and that is something that would have been all over the previews.

j00ey
08-15-2007, 10:45 AM
BUT REALLY THOUGH YOU GUYS "SHIN" IS PRONOUNCED MORE LIKE A CURT "SHEEN" AT LEAST IN MY--

jovewolf
08-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I guessed as much since the largest I am aware of is a 64 MB memory card and that is something that would have been all over the previews.

I kinda thought that too, but given my luck sometimes, I figured I should make sure.

Daydreamer
08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I think I can pretty much kiss any chance of getting my homework done tonight goodbye.

sraymonds
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I just picked up my copy of P3, and now I'm trying to track down a copy of the guide. It doesn't really matter right now though, since I won't get into P3 until I beat MGS3.

Rosencrantz
08-15-2007, 02:13 PM
So, uh, I've never really played a SMT game before - I tried one, once (I think it was the first Digital Devil Saga) but it didn't "click" with me pretty early on so I never gave it much of a chance. I just finished a game and am looking for something to fill the void between now and the end of the month, and I typically love jRPGs... provided I can find a copy, would it be worth picking it up? I know you guys love it, but what about a newcomer to the franchise?

djSyndrome
08-15-2007, 02:26 PM
So, uh, I've never really played a SMT game before - I tried one, once (I think it was the first Digital Devil Saga) but it didn't "click" with me pretty early on so I never gave it much of a chance. I just finished a game and am looking for something to fill the void between now and the end of the month, and I typically love jRPGs... provided I can find a copy, would it be worth picking it up? I know you guys love it, but what about a newcomer to the franchise?

I'm relatively new to the franchise myself - started in the spring - and my only regret was that I didn't get into SMT sooner. It's that good.

It's hard for us to answer your questions, because only a few of us have actually played through Persona 3. From what I've read, this game is easier than Nocturne and DDS, but harder than Devil Summoner. It does include an "Easy" mode, which is a first for the series.

Also, there is a strategy guide available. I've browsed through some of the data sections and they are fairly comprehensive, although I won't be using the book itself until my second cycle playthrough.

You could always buy it and, if you don't like it, resell it on eBay for near what you paid for it. SMT games generally hold their value well.

Jakanden
08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I just picked up my copy of P3, and now I'm trying to track down a copy of the guide. It doesn't really matter right now though, since I won't get into P3 until I beat MGS3.

None of the local EB/Gamestop/Barns/BAM's have it so if I want it I have to order online.

However, there is a pretty in-depth GameFAQ one so if I do get stuck, I will just use that.

nathan
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
For a good time, check out the first review posted on Amazon. It's a doozy.

Jakanden
08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
For a good time, check out the first review posted on Amazon. It's a doozy.

He enjoyed Nocturne, which is quite dark and violent, but has a problem with a non-suicidal shot to the head with a fake gun.

I bet that guy has no idea the crazy crap that doesn't come over here which can be far far worse.

reibeatall
08-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I own Persona 3 right now, and am debating if I should open it and start, or wait for the Fun Club in September.

Maybe I'll just restart it then...

djSyndrome
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I own Persona 3 right now, and am debating if I should open it and start, or wait for the Fun Club in September.

Maybe I'll just restart it then...

I plan to be on the Second Cycle by September. 16 days * 4 hours a day = OH CRAP WHERE DID MY LIFE GO.

Jakanden
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Hells yeah! P3 was waiting on my doorstep when I got home. No sleep tonight for me!

djSyndrome
08-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Just let my wife play it first. SO AWESOME.

Parish
08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Pfft, no need to wait for Fun Club. It's pretty loose and informal, and you're welcome to jump in regardless of where you are in the game.

cortbassist89
08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
My friend just got this today. She was expecting to get Lair, she didn't hear about its delay (I had but forgot to tell her), and so she got Persona 3 instead.

Maybe she'll be nice and let me borrow it when September rolls around.

reibeatall
08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Might Nich or somebody else be able to direct me to a listing of the track names on the OST? I'm ripping it to my Zune now, and Unknown Song doesn't have quite a ring to it.

djSyndrome
08-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Might Nich or somebody else be able to direct me to a listing of the track names on the OST? I'm ripping it to my Zune now, and Unknown Song doesn't have quite a ring to it.

RTFM.

(and I mean that in the nicest way possible ;) )

reibeatall
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
*slaps head*

I looked through the damn manual, and I SWEAR those pages stuck together.

Jakanden
08-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Jeremy, should we post thoughts and impressions on this thread or are you going to start a new Persona 3 fun-club thread?

sraymonds
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
None of the local EB/Gamestop/Barns/BAM's have it so if I want it I have to order online.

However, there is a pretty in-depth GameFAQ one so if I do get stuck, I will just use that.

I went to four different Gamestops trying to find the guide, but I did finally get one. Luckily, all four stores are within a 4 mile radius.

chocogaz
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh man guys this guy he wants to know if this hottie I was just talking to has a boyfriend WHAT DO I SAY!? :confused:

spineshark
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't think anything you say matters until you get the first S. Link (even after that, plenty of what you say doesn't matter). Which is uhh, not for a little while.

Man, I love this game, although I'm going to go insane when I have to start choosing between a LOT of things at once. It was hard enough for me to choose between two snotty jerks to hang out with one day.

sraymonds
08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh man guys this guy he wants to know if this hottie I was just talking to has a boyfriend WHAT DO I SAY!? :confused:

KEEP HER FOR YOURSELF

reibeatall
08-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Is it a problem if I care more about my relationships with the people then going into Tartarus? I mean, I'm going into the tower every now and then, but I keep getting worried about my academics and how my Kendo club is doing.

chocogaz
08-15-2007, 10:43 PM
KEEP HER FOR YOURSELF

OK WILL DO THX!!!!

Tomm Guycot
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Amazon cancelled my order without telling me! Hurray!

spineshark
08-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Is it a problem if I care more about my relationships with the people then going into Tartarus? I mean, I'm going into the tower every now and then, but I keep getting worried about my academics and how my Kendo club is doing. I don't think so. There's a reason that "real life" takes up so much of the game. It's pretty amazing, in my opinion.

I'm going up every two or three days, just so everyone stays in good shape, while I can keep training. At least for now.

Jakanden
08-16-2007, 04:35 AM
Some first impressions:

Soundtrack is awesome as the SMT series usually is. I have always dug the non-traditional music and it fits this game even better than some of the others.

The voice acting is one of the better ones I have heard in a long time

The art style looks great. I love the quick anime insertions of the characters faces when something happens.

The initial summoning of the main characters Persona was one of the coolest cut-scenes I have seen in some time

I really dig how they keep the original Japanese honorifics (Senpai, tan, chan, etc..) and overall culture of the game intact.

The day time elements (the "Sims" portion) are not as boring as I thought they would be. It is actually pretty cool and judging by comments above, I am not alone in this thought.

I LOVE the animation for an All Out Attack

That is all for now.

Merus
08-16-2007, 05:33 AM
I think I got turned off SMT by one of the SNES installments that never made it over here. (Emulaaaattoooorrrrr....)

It was the one where you start by finding Jesus (in the literal sense, that is, he's right there in your way and you have to give him a name and get him down off the cross before you can pick up Satan and have Lilith fawn over you), and it's in first person and battles are resolved with no discernable pattern. I guess it is Not For Me. Has the series improved? Or is it still, as I fear, subtle/requiring a guide to understand it unless you spend several weeks unravelling it?

Also I'd be damn surprised if I see Persona 3 at all, thanks to living in "Europe". OH WAIT I HAVE BOOT DISKS NOW NEVERMIND! woooo

Jakanden
08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
I think I got turned off SMT by one of the SNES installments that never made it over here. (Emulaaaattoooorrrrr....)

It was the one where you start by finding Jesus (in the literal sense, that is, he's right there in your way and you have to give him a name and get him down off the cross before you can pick up Satan and have Lilith fawn over you), and it's in first person and battles are resolved with no discernable pattern. I guess it is Not For Me. Has the series improved? Or is it still, as I fear, subtle/requiring a guide to understand it unless you spend several weeks unravelling it?

Also I'd be damn surprised if I see Persona 3 at all, thanks to living in "Europe". OH WAIT I HAVE BOOT DISKS NOW NEVERMIND! woooo

That sounds like SMT 1 which was pretty good, but SMT 2 was much improved (although still First-Person). The person on the cross was actually the Law Hero and the other guy is the Chaos Hero.

The combat is a bit weird when you are used to normal JRPG's since it is First Person and you only see one sprite representing a number of enemies of that type (the number of demons is above the sprite). Even though I love the series, I admit that the encounter rate in those games is insane and gets annoying quick.

It is still a good game though if you are willing to learn it and can get past the flaws of it's age. You might want to check out Nocturne though since it is more like a modern RPG, but still retains most of the elements of the series (Negotiations, fusions, etc..)

TheSL
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I think this is the first RPG I've enjoyed in years(barring the most recent FF and DQ releases). Its almost like they took Azure Dreams(with its town/relationship building + random dungeons) and fused it with the style and battle system of the MegaTen games.

I played for about 5 hours straight last night before I had to head to bed. Its a shame I have to be away on a business trip all of next week. :(

djSyndrome
08-16-2007, 07:54 AM
I only was able to stay awake (literally!) for one Tartarus run, but I plan on having another go tonight.

Merus, Persona 3 is supposedly coming to the UK early next year via Koei (http://www.atlus.com/atlus_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=408).

Merus
08-16-2007, 09:08 AM
The person on the cross was actually the Law Hero and the other guy is the Chaos Hero.

Go on, say it with me now: it was Jesus.

You might want to check out Nocturne though since it is more like a modern RPG, but still retains most of the elements of the series (Negotiations, fusions, etc..)

Negotiations are, I think, where things started to get arcane, as it seems exceedingly complex regarding what response will get the demons willing to listen instead of taking the opportunity to get a free whack in. I'm noticing a bit of the same problem in Suikoden V, which I picked up after seeing people suggest that it's okay if you can't get II, and they ask me my opinion on everything and I just know that at least one of those answers is going to come back and bite me on the ass. I've already had to give up on trying to get everything because otherwise I'll spend the rest of the game wondering whether I picked the 'right' answer to every question, even if there isn't one. Which is a shame because so far I'm enjoying the story.

So I'm mostly wary of Persona 3 from that angle, in that a lot of it seems to be giving the 'right' answers to every question.

ScrambledGregs
08-16-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't buy the whole "Atlus doesn't print/ship enough copies of their games" argument because every time I go to Best Buy I see three copies of Odin Sphere just sitting there. My hope is that no game is alphabetically between it and Persona 3, so that one day I can sneak my digital camera into the store and take a picture of the two rows of games huddled close together.

Maybe I'm just lucky and people in my area don't give a shit about niche jRPGs??

Cyrael
08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
The only thing that I have been disappointed in so far in Persona 3 is that my last name was too long by 2 characters. I've always enjoyed naming characters after myself, so I was kinda sad to have to come up with something different.

Oh well, a Scandinavian last name probably wouldn't have jived well with all the Japanese names anyways.

djSyndrome
08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
The only thing that I have been disappointed in so far in Persona 3 is that my last name was too long by 2 characters. I've always enjoyed naming characters after myself, so I was kinda sad to have to come up with something different.

I've wanted to name my character Hitoshura, but like Nocturne, the first name is too short by one letter.

Bastards.

jovewolf
08-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I've wanted to name my character Hitoshura, but like Nocturne, the first name is too short by one letter.

Bastards.

I used Tatsuya, which fit just fine. Got a little surreal once I could access Innocent Sin Online though.

"you should be tatsuya, I'll be Maya. Get it?"

Jakanden
08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I used Tatsuya, which fit just fine. Got a little surreal once I could access Innocent Sin Online though.

"you should be tatsuya, I'll be Maya. Get it?"

Oddly enough, I named him Tatsuya as well.

What do you all think of the Art Book? I thought it was rather cool although a bit short. I also really dig that it is hardcover unlike half of the ones I have recieved. As far as the designs, I think the designs of Akihiko and Shinjiro are the best.

djSyndrome
08-16-2007, 10:07 AM
What do you all think of the Art Book? I thought it was rather cool although a bit short. I also really dig that it is hardcover unlike half of the ones I have recieved. As far as the designs, I think the designs of Akihiko and Shinjiro are the best.

The art book is outstanding in design, and the designer comments were a nice touch - it was well worth the wait. Apparently not everyone was as enamored (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/08/persona-3-artbo.html) (bonus comment from Nich included!)

As for the CD, it's good, although it's missing Master of Tartarus (what?!) I hope that Atlus' USA store could find a way to bring the full soundtrack over here for sale, because I'd much rather give them my money than Play-Asia, Yes Asia, or CD Japan.

ringworm
08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I totally meant to just pop this in last night, check out the intro and crap, get to the first save spot, and quit. Each day kept turning into "okay, one more day, I wonder what happens at school tomorrow...". I'm really impressed so far.

Jakanden
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
The art book is outstanding in design, and the designer comments were a nice touch - it was well worth the wait. Apparently not everyone was as enamored (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/08/persona-3-artbo.html).

As for the CD, it's good, although it's missing Master of Tartarus (what?!) I hope that Atlus' USA store could find a way to bring the full soundtrack over here for sale, because I'd much rather give them my money than Play-Asia, Yes Asia, or CD Japan.

I haven't listened to the OST yet myself although it is odd to be missing that song as it is incredible.

nathan
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Speaking of the soundtrack, does anyone have the track listing?

iTunes comes up with naught.

djSyndrome
08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Speaking of the soundtrack, does anyone have the track listing?

iTunes comes up with naught.

It's in the manual.

Or, see page 4 of this thread ^.^

Jakanden
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
DJ, did you change your avatar today or have I not been paying attention?

spineshark
08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
It is still a good game though if you are willing to learn it and can get past the flaws of it's age. You might want to check out Nocturne though since it is more like a modern RPG, but still retains most of the elements of the series (Negotiations, fusions, etc..)
The negotiations in 3 are WAY easier since you basically only need to do the right thing once in a given conversation, and demons will occasionally approach you on their turn instead of the other way around.

Anyway my favorite things about the first game are how goddamn creepy it is (everything is totally blank, and everything just suddenly appears as you walk around), and when you meet a boss...a slow tune builds tension as you read the pre-battle text, and then once you hit "Fight" the incredibly awesome battle theme kicks in instantly.

djSyndrome
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
DJ, did you change your avatar today or have I not been paying attention?

I've had the Yukari avatar on-and-off for about a month now; I believe I changed it back on Monday or Tuesday in anticipation of P3.

I've also used http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/djSyndrome/Nemesis.jpg as well.

Daydreamer
08-16-2007, 05:38 PM
The negotiations in 3 are WAY easier since you basically only need to do the right thing once in a given conversation, and demons will occasionally approach you on their turn instead of the other way around.

Nocturne fixed the conversations and improved the fusion system, but the new combat mechanisms were broken. Mainly because of the way Death and Expel worked great for the enemy, but never worked for me and counted every non-success as a miss and penalized for it. DDS1, and especially 2, fixed this and made the skill system FAR more accessible, but took out the fusions and conversations.

Personally? I love the modern SMT series to death, but when the make a game with DDS's skills and combat, and Nocturne's demon system, my life as I know it will end.

PS I didn't think it was possible to improve upon Kazuma Koneko's art, but the new stuff in P3 is awesome. It hews closely to his style, but has more texture and far better facial expression.

nadia
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen of Talking Time, I have not played a Persona game to date. Is it permissible to start with Persona 3?

Mightyblue
08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Yar. P3 isn't directly related to the first two at all, so you're good.

Jakanden
08-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Rawr! First social-level enhanced fusion (Nekotoma). In addition to that, my character just got Innocent Sin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_2#Innocent_Sin) Online game which sounds kinda familiar (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/shin_megami_tensei_online_imagine/)...

EDIT - So far after 4 hours, I gotta say that this is becoming my favorite SMT game, beating out Nocturne.

Eusis
08-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Tomm: Sure it was cancelled? Mine vanished from my recent orders when I went to check, but when I changed it to purchases within the last few monthes and 2007, it showed. I guess the fact it only shipped now is irrelevant to their computers, I placed the order over a month ago and so it doesn't qualify as a recent purchase now.

Tomm Guycot
08-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Tomm: Sure it was cancelled? Mine vanished from my recent orders when I went to check, but when I changed it to purchases within the last few monthes and 2007, it showed. I guess the fact it only shipped now is irrelevant to their computers, I placed the order over a month ago and so it doesn't qualify as a recent purchase now.

I got an EMail saying "we cancelled it!" so it sure as hell better have been cancelled. I re-ordered it.

Eusis
08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
... Yeah, guess that's kinda definitive. What the hell.

spineshark
08-17-2007, 03:54 AM
I've gotten up to June 23, after 16 hours clocked (it's closer to 14 since I left it on when my uncle came over last night...but on the other hand I've suffered a handful of deaths too; it's probably pretty close). I've tried to cram a lot of the game in since I'm going out of town tomorrow, I guess I've succeeded.

God this game rules my world for so many reasons that I'm too tired to really figure out or explain.

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 04:31 AM
I will be putting a ton of time into it this weekend myself. I am trying to get as much of it done before Bioshock comes out because when that does, Persona 3 hits back-burner until I am done.

djSyndrome
08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
The Wife and I are taking turns playing it on two different save files, so I'm only about two hours in (Tartarus Level 7). I've managed to skip Kendo club for nearly a week now in favor of stuffing my face in every way imaginable.

I love this game. :D

sraymonds
08-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm more interested in the high school simulation then the dungeon crawling. That said, my first instinct is to hit on Yukari as much as possible.

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 09:39 AM
The Wife and I are taking turns playing it on two different save files, so I'm only about two hours in (Tartarus Level 7). I've managed to skip Kendo club for nearly a week now in favor of stuffing my face in every way imaginable.

I love this game. :D

Damn, I am only on Tartarus level 4 because I have been doing a lot with the Sim portion. Plus, my party keeps getting fatigued after about level 2 so I have to stop every night I try.

djSyndrome
08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Damn, I am only on Tartarus level 4 because I have been doing a lot with the Sim portion. Plus, my party keeps getting fatigued after about level 2 so I have to stop every night I try.

It took me two runs to get to Level 5, then another run to clear 5 and get to 7. Yukari gets sick way too easily. I think it's an STD.

reibeatall
08-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I forced myself up to floor 16 so I could finish that damn quest (get to floor 16 by May 8th), and now I'm just studying for midterms.

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 10:22 AM
It took me two runs to get to Level 5, then another run to clear 5 and get to 7. Yukari gets sick way too easily. I think it's an STD.

Are you just powering through even with her fatigued/sick or are you turning back once she does?

TheSL
08-17-2007, 10:26 AM
That said, my first instinct is to hit on Yukari as much as possible.

Eff that, I'm hooking up with the cute swim team manager.

djSyndrome
08-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Are you just powering through even with her fatigued/sick or are you turning back once she does?

I start looking for the exit whenever she says she's tired. Invariably, by the time I find it, Junpei's also worn out as well.

jovewolf
08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
I usually pull out before any of my guys get tired now - they seem to last better since I've entered May anyway. (Plus Akihiko has joined the fray to make juggling party members easier).

I will say though that I hate the Iron Giant shadows - twice now they've killed me. The second time when I had a Persona capable of hitting their weak points too. Grrr...

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah I noticed that too. I have only hit Tartarus twice though.

I joined the Kendo team myself, but been slacking in my attendence and been studying.

TheSL
08-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I joined the swim team just because I figured if I was going to pretend I was still in High School I might as well participate in the sport I was in back in the day.

sraymonds
08-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I joined the swim team just because I figured if I was going to pretend I was still in High School I might as well participate in the sport I was in back in the day.

The game has that set for me, since I was in the demon-hunting club, but we didn't have to shoot our selve....

Who is this? I don't know what you're talking about. WRONG NUMBER, WRONG NUMBER!

blindblue
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I usually pull out before any of my guys get tired now - they seem to last better since I've entered May anyway. (Plus Akihiko has joined the fray to make juggling party members easier).

I will say though that I hate the Iron Giant shadows - twice now they've killed me. The second time when I had a Persona capable of hitting their weak points too. Grrr...

Those big dudes who Sonic Punch? Cast Pulinpa on them, they won't be able to concentrate enough to hit you.

I finally got this early yesterday and I've played it into the wee hours, hitting the first week in June and leveling enough to get me the Jack Brothers (woo!). Blasted up the tower to make sure I can fulfill a certain request before the full moon; at B36F now, getting my ass kicked repeatedly by the guardian there.

I am also pursuing this venture. Have you gotten past dates at burger joints yet?

TheSL
08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I am also pursuing this venture. Have you gotten past dates at burger joints yet?

Not yet. I didn't get much time to play last night since I was tying up loose ends before my business trip.

Cyrael
08-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Same reason I chose the track team. Am I the only one?

djSyndrome
08-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I chose the Kendo team in the vain hope I would see some sort of battle-related stat boost. Silly me!

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Kendo is cooler than swimming or track anyway.

doc_marten_abortion
08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
After four hours of play, I decided it was time to turn it off and wash some dishes. Once completed, I came back to the machine, fired up the game, then went to the "Load Game" option. What's this? No Data? Shit. I think I'm going to be sick.

At least it's just a rental, cause I don't think I want to play the first hour again.

sraymonds
08-17-2007, 05:43 PM
After four hours of play, I decided it was time to turn it off and wash some dishes. Once completed, I came back to the machine, fired up the game, then went to the "Load Game" option. What's this? No Data? Shit. I think I'm going to be sick.

At least it's just a rental, cause I don't think I want to play the first hour again.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/lsrsera/noooo.jpg

Did you forget to save? Or is something up with your memory card?

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I assume he was since the subject of his post was "Stupid PS3"

doc_marten_abortion
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, it was on the PS3. I restarted the game and found that the first hour is much more pleasant the second time as I'm able to skip all the tedious anime. My guess is that in overwriting the original save I corrupted it, so I've been using new slots every time I save. The PS3's large hard drive is more than capable of handling my paranoia, and the game is definitely worth the extra memory.

Jakanden
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I am finally starting to get going in Tartarus. Made it to level 15 and also got a wicked new fused Persona with a level 3 social link boost. It caused it to gain two levels immediately after fusing.

EDIT - Made it to level 15 but now I am dead tired. My characters are back at level 1 (via level 14 portal) and none are tired yet so I will be pushing until they do get tired (Full moon 4tw!)

doc_marten_abortion
08-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I really want to love this game. It just seems that as I get older my taste in video games, entertainment in general, is skewing closer to the shorter, more focused genres. In high school, I was a huge anime nerd. That followed me into college where I took my Japanese skills and joined an anime club (ugh) and helped to fansub many titles including Rurouni Kenshin and Excel Saga. Now, maybe because I actually like socializing with women (joking, I don't think a motorcycle or rippling muscles could help me there), I am unable to watch any anime that doesn't have Studio Ghibili attached to it. And, thusly, my appreciation for the traditional, J-RPG is waning. I really appreciate this game for its style--one of the more interesting, beautiful PS2 games I've experienced--but am finding that the time requirement is just not something I'm willing to invest. I haven't finished an RPG since Final Fantasy 10, all those years ago, but definitely have played a large amount of them. I am envious of you on this board who are capable of sticking with these great games; I think I'll just live vicariously through all of you whom I am expecting to spoil all the plot points, though I am happy that I did get far enough to enjoy the scenes where the protagonists eat a bullet to summon their various Personas.

djSyndrome
08-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Are you playing on a PS3? I've heard of this happening to a couple other people.

That's....not reassuring.

Eusis
08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
And this is why I don't like to ditch older systems even with BC! I've got a silver slim PS2 to use, I'll play P3 on that.

tsuki
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Hrmm, any word on an Australian/europe release?

Daydreamer
08-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Stuck around Floor 20ish, getting whalloped. Atlus just doesn't make easy games, do they?

Jakanden
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I am on exam week and I swear Yukari and Junpei have become Hermonie and Ron.