PDA

View Full Version : Good Gravy

LBD_Nytetrayn
02-29-2016, 03:05 AM
Alternatively, "That's Just Gravy."

The thread for talking about gravy. Good, bad, the best, the worst, recipes... you know how this stuff works.

Personally, I'm looking for advice. Whenever we try to make gravy (usually from a mix, which may well be our first mistake), it usually comes out really thin. What's recommended to thicken it up so it doesn't come out quite so watery that it doesn't really stick?

Also, to name a favorite: I really like the gravy New York Fries uses on their poutine. KFC Canada's isn't bad, either, and definitely has a thickness good for fries and chicken dipping. I haven't had it in forever, but I seem to recall KFC in the States having a decent one.

I used to like sausage gravy, until my wife and her Preacher references more or less ruined it for me.

madhair60
02-29-2016, 03:17 AM
Gravy is so gross and then sometimes it's not. That's all I have to say about gravy. My postcount has gone up. And that's just gravy.

Bound for the grav(y).

madhair60
02-29-2016, 03:26 AM
Even the word gravy is gross.

Gravy.

Gravy.

Büge
02-29-2016, 07:31 AM
IoTAb34rLso

Rufferto
02-29-2016, 07:43 AM
For Thanksgivings, I've been using the serious eats recipe, which is essentially a roux with chicken stock and turkey drippings. It also calls for some more eclectic ingredients like marmite and soy sauce, which add a more meaty taste to the gravy.

Also, a standard method to thicken sauces is to mix cornstarch with a little bit of water and integrate the slurry into your sauce.

madhair60
02-29-2016, 08:36 AM
"integrate the slurry into your sauce"

"slurry"

Mate.

jpfriction
02-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Quick mix flour works pretty well too (Wondra). Always been my family's standard.

jpfriction
07-14-2016, 11:16 AM
So I was reheating some KFC cause I fancy like that and I was a bit concerned to see that the refrigerated gravy was still very much a liquid rather than the congealed mass of silly putty any leftover gravy I make normally turns into.

Not nearly as concerned as when, after microwaving for a few minutes, the chicken and potatoes were piping hot but the gravy was still stone cold.

What is this stuff made out of?

JBear
07-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Human suffering.

Tasty, though.

Falselogic
07-14-2016, 01:17 PM
I love a good thick white gravy with sausage in it.

Put some biscuits in there? Maybe some chicken fried steak. hush puppies and some honey on the side?

Yeah them's good eats.

Parish
07-14-2016, 01:32 PM
There is no good gravy, unless you consider Japanese curry a gravy.

The Raider Dr. Jones
07-14-2016, 01:40 PM
are you happy at all in the south, jeremy?

JBear
07-14-2016, 01:41 PM
I've always considered Japanese curry to essentially be poutine.

chady
07-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Take a pound of spicy, fatty pork sausage (NOT Italian sausage, you weirdo). Put it in a skillet/saute pan and brown it, chop it up very fine. Don't drain the grease out of there, for what you are cooking is decidedly not healthy. The grease is the thing and you need as much of it as possible. If you want to toss in a couple pats of butter — or some sort of stock, or maybe even a little bit of lard — now is as good a time as any.

Then take three heaping tablespoons of flour and mix it straight into the sausage and grease in the pan. I know flour + meat feels wrong at first, just do it anyway. Mix it up real good while applying heat until all the flour is no longer white. Then take about a cup of whole milk and stir it into the sausage-flour pile, still applying heat. Eventually the milk and flour will begin to come together and you'll have a thick, paste-like substance.

Continue cooking it for a while. Keep adding splashes of milk to loosen things, and let the heat slowly thicken it again ... but don't add too much milk, it can dilute the delicious grease. It's a delicate dance. Meanwhile, season the heck out of it with black pepper. After shaking a pepper shaker over the pan for 20 seconds you might think to yourself, "Hey, this is too much black pepper!" but it's really not.

Congratulations, you have made sausage gravy. Put it on top of biscuits (a whole other post) or fried potatoes and prepare for your food coma.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-15-2016, 04:39 PM
So I was reheating some KFC cause I fancy like that and I was a bit concerned to see that the refrigerated gravy was still very much a liquid rather than the congealed mass of silly putty any leftover gravy I make normally turns into.

Not nearly as concerned as when, after microwaving for a few minutes, the chicken and potatoes were piping hot but the gravy was still stone cold.

I haven't dealt in reheating American KFC gravy in many years, but I think if it's like the stuff we have here (it isn't, but let's just say if it's enough like it), then lots of stirring is involved.

Torgo
07-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Biscuits and gravy with a glass of OJ is the greatest meal on the face of the planet.

Falselogic
07-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Biscuits and gravy with a glass of OJ is the greatest meal on the face of the planet.