PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Selection #10: Tomb Raider (or TR Anniversary)

Parish
10-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Let's go retro, kids. Or un-Retro, if you prefer.

Tomb Raider
Adventure | 1996 | Core/Eidos | Saturn, PlayStation, PC, Mac

Tomb Raider Anniversary
Adventure | 2007 | Crystal Dynamics/Eidos | PS2, PSP, Xbox 360

We're gonna have an adventure with Lara. Yay. I shall be participating with the PS2 version of Anniversary, so gather round and join me as I shoot hapless wildlife.

Octopus Prime
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Dammit Parish, I was going to wait to get my backlog whittled down before I got anniversary, but then you had to go ahead and give me some incentive. You could have easily gone and said Puzzle Quest, or Sin and Punishment again, or something else that I've beaten very recently. But no, you pull on my heartstrings with something I actually want.

You heartless bastard.

Drooling Iguana
10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I bought the PC version of the original Tomb Raider at a thrift shop a few months ago. This'll finally give me an excuse to play the thing.

I already have TR2, but I didn't like it very much. Fortunately, it came in a three-pack with the original Unreal and Total Annihilation for about $30 back in 2001, so I still got my money's worth. Especially with Total Annihilation, which is weird because I absolutely hated every other RTS game I've ever played. Is Total Annihilation on the Fun Club list? It should be.

Savathun
10-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Speaking of hapless wildlife, I love the part in the commentary where Toby Gard says that with the original Tomb Raider, he was apalled with games where you'd just shoot random humans in the game because you had to, so he wanted to make animals the main enemies.

Then he adds something like, "Of course, today, people will be more upset about the animals being killed than the humans."

And I don't recall if he mentioned the fact that you kill TONS of random humans in future Tomb Raider games.

Parish
10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
The preponderence of human enemies was one of the things I hated most about TR2. Not killing people per se but the fact that they were so freaking stupid.

Savathun
10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
It was cute how the humans with melee weapons would be completely stymied if you found higher ground. Even a box.

I know in one game they learned how to climb, but it still didn't help them much.

alexb
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
You mean you can actually still enjoy the original Tomb Raider? I made a valiant effort to play TR earlier in the year before Anniversary came out for PS2, but damn, that stuff is rough to a contemporary palette..

SamuelMarston
10-23-2007, 07:04 PM
I've been wanting to play Anniversary, because I loved Tomb Raider (the original).

Octopus Prime
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Since Legend was the very first Tomb Raider game I played, I lack any kind of nostolgia with any entry in the series (I'm told it involves raiding tombs? And clothing which is woefully inadequete given the location).

Anyhow I picked up Anniversary earliar today and was able to get into the second level before being called away.

I have to admit, I'm curious as to how many wolves and bears managed to get inside a temple built inside a mountain, which by all appeances hadn't been opened in many hundreds of years.

And even more curious as to why there was a carefully hidden box of shotgun shells.

The medical kits, those I can accept no problem.

Savathun
10-28-2007, 08:01 PM
You know, games like Anniversary and Gears of War drive me nuts.

The environments are just so huge and crisp and alive that I don't know if I'm ever really "taking it all in," or appreciating it the way I should.

Sometimes I'll just sit around in one area or room and look around. In TR: A, it's fun to look for light sources in caves. There always is one, it seems. They didn't have to do that. Would we really have noticed or cared? But there's always some opening to the sky or something. I'm not sure about the main waterfall room, though. I don't remember if I looked for one, there.

Oh, and... I like what they did with Larson in this one. Sure, he tries to kill you, but he's a likable enough guy. When he kills you in the button mashing sequences, he always seems regretful. So when you have to kill him, well, I don't know. I definitely felt crappy about it. And then the damn car stops next to his corpse, just to mess with you. Also, I love that torso monster boss, even if it's not that hard. Technically, it was never hard. Just resilient. It seems somewhat less frightening in its more detailed incarnation, though. That's one thing you can say for the original's blocky graphics. They made this guy (and Bacon Lara) pretty damned disturbing.

Although, in the case of Bacon Lara, you can see her teeth through the gaping hole where her cheeks should be. Yech.

Octopus Prime
10-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, it's a new week and I dare say this game had the least conversation of anything in the Fun Club thus far. That's what you get for making it an alternate next to Final Fantasy Tactics, Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night

Parish
10-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, wow, this flopped. Partly my own fault... I intended to participate myself but when I sat down to play the PS2 version it made me want to puke. I dunno if it was the framerate or what, but it seriously made my head spin. OY.