PDA

View Full Version : The old forum was better.

Calorie Mate
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Seriously, someone's got to say it. There are (apparantly) trolls running wild. Of the top three posters from the last board, two barely post, and the third hasn't shown up at all. philliam has completely lost his mind, and I think Brandon has yet ot make me laugh since we came here. We can't simply type "What." as a response anymore, and the quotes no longer Bandwagon.

I miss Talking Time, guys. This Revenge stuff is killing me.

Savathun
06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
and I think Brandon has yet ot make me laugh since we came here.

I can't work under this kind of pressure! Not with everyone looking... judging.

I've actually found that I'm really funny if you've just gotten finished watching an episode of Blossom, though.

Sarcasmorator
06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I blame you, Calorie Mate.

Kishi
06-14-2007, 08:53 PM
It turns out the Lezard Valeth avatar was the secret to all of Brandon's powers. He just can't hack it without it.

Excitemike
06-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Of the top three posters from the last board, two barely post, and the third hasn't shown up at all.

Who are you talking about, specifically? I've been keeping track of you all by your icon, and now I'm just confused.

Savathun
06-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Is this one of those things where you just end up saying that the magic was never in the avatar, it was in me all along?

Crap, where did I put that avatar?

JCDenton
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
You're livin' in the past, man. No matter how much we wish and hope and pray, the old TT just isn't coming back. We must turn our eyes towards the horizon. The future is here! The future is now! The future is The Return Of Talking Time!!

Balrog
06-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Who is the problem? OMG! I'm the problem.

sraymonds
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Is this one of those things where you just end up saying that the magic was never in the avatar, it was in me all along?

Crap, where did I put that avatar?

You don't need the avatar; the magic was in you all along.

Parish
06-14-2007, 09:13 PM
The hell are you even talking about.

Tomm Guycot
06-14-2007, 09:39 PM
He's talking about Schmidt, dammit! He's not here!

Torgo
06-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Of the top three posters from the last board, two barely post, and the third hasn't shown up at all.
Yeah, totally. Where have you been? (Aside from doing shady work for The Man and getting out of work because of dirty diapers.)

The decided lack of Calories Man and Tomm and the complete lack of schmidt is disturbing, but I'm hoping the balance will one day return.

Kishi
06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm personally disgusted by Tomm's expectation that Schmidt should just be here. Talk about an overblown sense of entitlement.

philliam
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
i've completely lost my mind?

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I like that, on this board, I feel I have a chance of being a top poster.

Parish
06-14-2007, 10:57 PM
STOP SAYING THAT

Schmidt
06-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this isn't going to help.

Stephen
06-14-2007, 11:59 PM
I like that, on this board, I feel I have a chance of being a top poster.STOP SAYING THAT...and the quotes no longer Bandwagon.
Bandwagon?

Red Hedgehog
06-15-2007, 12:10 AM

STOP SAYING THAT

Boo.

alexb
06-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, something does seem different. But it could just be that we're in the doldrums of summer. There's not much in the way of news or releases in this period.

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Mr. Parish, I imagine that you could turn off displaying post counts with a simple configuration change. People posting just to drive up their post counts is annoying.

Torgo
06-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Yeah, except none of us really do that. I mean, its not like anyone's running around every thread saying 'ya i agree lol'.

R^2
06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
ya i agree lol

somebody had to do it

chocogaz
06-15-2007, 09:24 AM
yo no I dont agree lol

Torgo
06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
ya i no rly

Trent Dole
06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
The older everything was better.

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 10:31 AM
VsRobot, I think you were cooler before you got retconned and we discovered that you were the one that actually destroyed Neo Tokyo.

"KANEDAAAAA!"

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
VsRobot, I think you were cooler before you got retconned and we discovered that you were the one that actually destroyed Neo Tokyo.

"KANEDAAAAA!"

Uh... I don't get it. (I don't watch anime)

Parish
06-15-2007, 10:49 AM
So I'm alone in thinking the new forum is generally more enjoyable than the last? Well that was 160 bucks wasted.

JCDenton
06-15-2007, 10:56 AM
So I'm alone in thinking the new forum is generally more enjoyable than the last? Well that was 160 bucks wasted.

Not at all. I for one like this new iteration.

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Uh... I don't get it. (I don't watch anime)

I'm just jibba jabbering. I'm pretty sure most of my posts are just me blathering on about something.

I prefer the new forum's...interface I guess you would call it. It's easier for me to post silly pictures and links.

Also...
People posting just to drive up their post counts is annoying.
ya i agree lol

R^2
06-15-2007, 11:34 AM

I fear change.

srsly, it's just that we'd gotten used to the idiosyncrasies of the old forum software and we're still getting used to this new-fangled technology. But, I feel I should point out, most of Calories Man's original complaints were with the posters in the new forum, not the software.

shivam
06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
the new forum is awesome, if for no other reason than the wonderful 'new posts' button up at the top. being able to come here, click on that and see all of the new posts aggregated and easily refreshable makes it so much easier to read everything. yay team.

R^2
06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Too true.

*pad*

TheSL
06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Took me a little bit to get used to the aesthetics(different categories than the previous one, no avatars at first, top rather than side mounted name/avatar-dealies, etc), but overall it seems to channel pretty much the same type of excellent discussion that the last iteration did. Only thing I really see thats significantly different is that every thread isn't ruled over by the trifecta of Tomm/CalorieMate/Schmidt anymore.

philliam
06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
What we need is more users that aren't afraid to post in these forums. I mean, so far I still see people from the past forum still posting.

Also, I assumed the Pit Of Flames would be like a place to not take anyone seriously and where anyone can act silly, but it seems to be a regular general disscussion subforum.

marcalan
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
It's because Calorie Mate scares them off.

See, it's all your fault Calorie Mate, yours!

philliam
06-15-2007, 12:16 PM
GODDAMMIT CALORIE MATES

jeditanuki
06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I like this forum better than the other one because I can actually post in it, and in the old one, JP never approved my attempts to join, but I could never determine why...maybe it's my breath. :confused:

philliam
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Maybe it was your STUPID FORUM NAME

welcome to the pit of flames

nadia
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM

No, I'm honestly more comfortable here. Seems like there's more to talk about.

Parish
06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
But, I feel I should point out, most of Calories Man's original complaints were with the posters in the new forum, not the software.
I was talking about the discussions also.

yakkotank
06-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I really miss all of the threads about how the Virtual Console was disappointing/not disappointing. There were so many of them, and yet they each had a unique flavor.

Red Hedgehog
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Not enough virtual console flame wars and Castlevania quotes in this new forum.

Parish
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I really miss all of the threads about how the Virtual Console was disappointing/not disappointing. There were so many of them, and yet they each had a unique flavor.
See, now I know you guys are just taking the piss with me.

Jakanden
06-15-2007, 03:24 PM
the new forum is awesome, if for no other reason than the wonderful 'new posts' button up at the top. being able to come here, click on that and see all of the new posts aggregated and easily refreshable makes it so much easier to read everything. yay team.

That was on the old forum too as that is the only way I browse forums at all.

That being said, I enjoy the new ones far better as well.

mr_bungle700
06-15-2007, 04:02 PM
The new forum did feel a bit different at first, but I think it's coming into its own quite nicely.

Calorie Mate
06-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I find it funny that Parish doesn't like that I prefer something old to something new.

...ok, all joking aside, I think I'm just bitter that I don't have as much time to post anymore than I used to.

R^2
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Well, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Calorie Mate
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM

It may be stupid, but his description underneath that is made of pure awesome.

djSyndrome
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I find it funny that Parish doesn't like that I prefer something old to something new.

I think he doesn't like that you're being an ungrateful douche.

(sorry, but someone's got to say it.)

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-15-2007, 04:28 PM
No way. In the old forum I was banned for antisemitism. And I love semites when they are arabs.... just kidding!

http://img.search.com/thumb/6/62/Fred_Armisen_SNL.jpg/200px-Fred_Armisen_SNL.jpg

Parish
06-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Here is a suggestion: when posting on a website, it's probably not wise to draw attention to the fact that you were banned before.

locit
06-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I haven't really noticed much difference, but then I didn't post much on the old forum. I like the ability to easily italicize in quick replies, though. It's totally worth someone else's $160!

Eusis
06-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Here is a suggestion: when posting on a website, it's probably not wise to draw attention to the fact that you were banned before.
But it's funny to the rest of us when they do!

JCDenton
06-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I was banned once.....from life. Apparently The King of all Cosmos thought I was being too awesome. But then he destroyed the world. Once it was rebuilt, he was too tired to notice my triumphant return.

Balrog
06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Armored Robo Zaza Gabor]No way. In the old forum I was banned for antisemitism. And I love semites when they are arabs.... just kidding!
QUOTE]

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=202

You're so edgy.

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 09:54 PM

I feel guilty that you spent your own money so I could have online entertainments, and that I want you to spend your free time making podcasts and vlogcasts for me. Not so guilty that I won't keep asking for them, though. ;-)

estragon
06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah, sometimes I seriously wish there were ads here so you could get some money off of us. If they were unobtrusive, I'd like you to have the extra cash.

Anyway, I like this installment of the forum better. The last one was good, but I think it was overall a positive thing that it got wiped clean. There have been some issues, but nothing too bad. And, mostly, it's just an effect of the larger trend of new people deciding to post, which is a good trend in general.

Savathun
06-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I kinda agree. Especially since it sorta seems like Parish really gets nothing out of these forums, other than the fun of being annoyed by us.

alexb
06-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Well, there is the status that derives from having a board. I dunno.

Red Hedgehog
06-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Parish will totally get rich and famous off these boards. Come on, this is the internets! Everyone prospers!

R^2
06-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Well if you really want Parish to get rich off his boards, you could just Paypal him whatever you throught was an appropriate usage fee. It's not that unusual; I help pay the server costs and stuff for Pyoko.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Like Something Awful does? That's an awesome idea. Absolutely. A one time $10 registration fee is affordable by everyone. The only people who pay it twice are those who get banned and want to register again.

It works. Something Awful has some of the most pleasant messageboards.

Calorie Mate
06-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Since I know Parish wouldn't accept moneyz from Paypal, I'll just wait until I inevitably meet him and will insist on buying him lunch.

Thinaran
06-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Something Awful has some of the most pleasant messageboards.
Are you high?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Calorie Mate
06-17-2007, 09:46 AM
A day later, and I still can't figure out if he was actually banned or not.

JCDenton
06-17-2007, 10:23 AM
A day later, and I still can't figure out if he was actually banned or not.

Wondering the same thing, but Thinaran's post count has gone up since then, so probably not.

Thinaran
06-17-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't like the SA forums.

SDMX
06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
You should probably try 1) Reading the rules and 2) Not being a dick.

These things help.

Parish
06-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Something Awful's forum did a 12-step program, cleaned up, got a better job, stopped drinking whiskey for breakfast, took the kids to Disneyland instead of punching them, and is generally an okay place now. At this point I think the Internet has centrifuged all the really unsavory types into 4chan. And GameFAQs.

I'm contemplating various mad money-making schemes for the site, but no way am I taking random donations.

thomp538
06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
What about the OLD, old forums, you know, where "post count +1" proliferated? Ahh those were the days. These forums are nice, vBulletin is a better product and avatars on the top of posts rule.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Something Awful's forum did a 12-step program, cleaned up, got a better job, stopped drinking whiskey for breakfast, took the kids to Disneyland instead of punching them, and is generally an okay place now.
I am genuinely surprised to hear this. And somewhat pleased actually, besides the fact that it doesn't really hold a lot of relevance for me. I wrote off SA as a hole of the web years ago, and most holes stay that way. Good to know it turned itself around. Besides, in either case it can't be all bad any more: Dr. McNinja spawned from SA's forums.

JohnB
06-21-2007, 08:52 PM
So I guess it's gone from being Mos Eisley to Mos Espa?

Eusis
06-21-2007, 09:06 PM
It sounds like GBS is still one of the worst places on the net though. But what I've seen of their gaming forums and the like has been pretty nice.

SDMX
06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
It sounds like GBS is still one of the worst places on the net though. But what I've seen of their gaming forums and the like has been pretty nice.

Compared to /b/ or Stile, GBS is almost Wisconsin-esque. It's pretty much just links to newsposts from various sites and e/n threads anyway. If you want to vilify something on the SA forums, FYAD is a much better target.

Healy
06-21-2007, 10:28 PM
What about the OLD, old forums, you know, where "post count +1" proliferated? Ahh those were the days. These forums are nice, vBulletin is a better product and avatars on the top of posts rule.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2159/auldonesgn5.png
Indeed, I have heard only bits and fragments about this old old forum, which supposedly was full of vileness and wickedry. Come, wise one, tell us more about the auld days, and why they are so universally reviled.

Ooooh wooooh ooooh.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 10:42 PM
The old old forums are before my time even. Actually, they were around when I found Toastyfrog Jump, but not for long. I can't speak for them.

The second forums however, from which the Pit here is named after, became a morass of spam and mounting stupidity. I left in October of '03, about two months before it caved in on itself and Parish nuked it.

Savathun
06-21-2007, 11:01 PM
I vaguely remember the forums Torgo mentioned. I think I joined and someone yelled at me because I said Conker sounded weird. I think everyone was talking about a singing turd or something, which I mean, sounded pretty weird to me at the time.

thomp538
06-21-2007, 11:38 PM
So I guess it's gone from being Mos Eisley to Mos Espa?
So what now is the most wretched hive of scum and villainy?

Torgo
06-21-2007, 11:40 PM
I think we've already established that that is 4chan or Gamefaqs.

SDMX
06-22-2007, 02:21 AM

As a frequenter of /b/, I must insist that there be declared a differentiation, made, as I take severe offense to being grouped with the Mongoloids of GameFaqs. /b/ is, at least in my experience, predominantly intelligent people who are encouraged through anonymity to reveal that which is their most basic. Sometimes this is evil, sometimes this is unspeakable, yea, even unthinkable, but it exists, and it is through Anonymous that we are able to be truly free, for as a part of the Great Anonymous, we are all a single moving, thinking, meming mass and the decisions we make are real, if but a fleeting blip before the flood of new thought. Anonymous can be cruel, Anonymous can be hateful but truly the one thing Anonymous MUST be is human.

Also, GameFaqs is full of retards, omfg lol.

Richard Dawkins is very angry with me for attributing the word 'meme' in such a fashion. Dawkins, like Anonymous, does not forgive. =(

R^2
06-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Both /b/ and GameFAQs have overinflated egos.

Excitemike
06-22-2007, 08:01 AM
If you stare too deep into the /b/,the /b/ stares back.

So what now is the most wretched hive of scum and villainy?
Why? You need someone to take you to Alderon? 'Cause I know a guy...

philliam
06-22-2007, 03:34 PM
As a frequenter of /b/, I must insist that there be declared a differentiation, made, as I take severe offense to being grouped with the Mongoloids of GameFaqs. /b/ is, at least in my experience, predominantly intelligent people who are encouraged through anonymity to reveal that which is their most basic. Sometimes this is evil, sometimes this is unspeakable, yea, even unthinkable, but it exists, and it is through Anonymous that we are able to be truly free, for as a part of the Great Anonymous, we are all a single moving, thinking, meming mass and the decisions we make are real, if but a fleeting blip before the flood of new thought. Anonymous can be cruel, Anonymous can be hateful but truly the one thing Anonymous MUST be is human.

what the hell

djSyndrome
06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
As a frequenter of /b/

Oh that's it.

I want my Transformers toys back, Ryan. You can feel free to clean them first.

SDMX
06-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Oh that's it.

I want my Transformers toys back, Ryan. You can feel free to clean them first.

Hey, you don't know me, maaan, you don't know me.

And for what it's worth, I'm an occasional frequenter, rather than a full on /b/tard.

Edit: Don't missunderstand, it's a terrible horrible place and noone should ever go there ever. I just would rather be evil than retarded.

Savathun
06-23-2007, 01:23 AM
I check out 4chan when I'm really bored, but I should point out that it was these forums that told me about 4chan in the first place.

Perhaps we are the true monsters.

philliam
06-23-2007, 01:33 AM
brandon figured out the sole purpose of talking time: telling people about 4chan

oh god what have we becoooooooome?!

R^2
06-23-2007, 08:46 AM
What have I become...

...my Swedish friend?

djSyndrome
06-23-2007, 08:50 AM
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/615NLbTwBrL._SS260_.jpg

juanfrugalj
06-23-2007, 11:23 AM

"jeditanuki"?

It is not stupid. It is so awesome I envy it.

You should probably try 1) Reading the rules and 2) Not being a dick.

These things help.

Jesus, we have rules?

The old old forums are before my time even. Actually, they were around when I found Toastyfrog Jump, but not for long. I can't speak for them.

The second forums however, from which the Pit here is named after, became a morass of spam and mounting stupidity. I left in October of '03, about two months before it caved in on itself and Parish nuked it.

I remember that. I only lurked back then, but it was fun as hell.

Mightyblue
06-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I like this rendition. Mostly because I don't care as long as I get my free soapbox, but still.

SDMX
06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Jesus, we have rules?

3) Reading the thread helps too. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/somniamagus/SA-emotes/emot-v.gif

Thinaran
06-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Not that emote again!

Caithness
06-23-2007, 07:46 PM

It's not the Seven Deadly Forums?

Schmidt
06-25-2007, 01:26 AM
What have I become...

...my Swedish friend?
That still makes me laugh.

Sanagi
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/615NLbTwBrL._SS260_.jpg
Those things are disturbing, yet fascinating. They have Metallica, Pink Floyd... Words fail.

If you search the itunes store for "rock-a-bye baby" you can listen to samples of all of 'em.

djSyndrome
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Those things are disturbing, yet fascinating. They have Metallica, Pink Floyd... Words fail.

If you search the itunes store for "rock-a-bye baby" you can listen to samples of all of 'em.

I just bought the Smashing Pumpkins one for Daughter 1.0. She absolutely loves it.

Daughter 2.0 is getting either Bjork or Radiohead for her birthday.

Schmidt
06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Holy crap, I'm buying that Smashing Pumpkins one for myself. It's awesome!

edit: Ok, actually I want to buy at least a half dozen of these. Queens of the Stone Age?!

Schmidt
06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm crushed to see "Hooker With a Penis" didn't make the cut for the Tool album.

Savathun
06-26-2007, 03:48 AM
I used to think hookers were compulsive gamblers (which made our fairly common trips to Vegas pretty embarassing), but I don't know that I ever thought a penis was anything other than what it was: a hideous, poisonous sin-shooter.

Speaking of which, I really wish I still had all those cool books I read to learn about the birds and the bees and wangs.

Mightyblue
06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Brandon, am I going to be horribly shocked if I ask if you're a girl and you say yes? Because I may not have been paying any attention to your comments until now beyond "Hur hur, that person's funnay!"

Savathun
06-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Ah, the easiest answer would be.. "not yet."

Wait a minute, you thought I was funny? Aw, shucks... I can never tell if I'm saying something funny or annoying. It's really hard to tell, since I'm half asleep most of the time.

Tomm Guycot
06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
...why can't I listen to samples on iTunes anymore?

Calorie Mate
06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Ah, the easiest answer would be.. "not yet."

Wait a minute, you thought I was funny? Aw, shucks... I can never tell if I'm saying something funny or annoying. It's really hard to tell, since I'm half asleep most of the time.

Sometimes you are. Sometimes.

estragon
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't know that I ever thought a penis was anything other than what it was: a hideous, poisonous sin-shooter.

FACT: This is very funny.

Add to Queue's VsRobot
04-12-2008, 12:23 AM
I miss the old days.

A lot.

shivam
04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
and you are who again, mr. thirty four post count?

Zodar
04-12-2008, 12:56 AM
oh god it can reproduce

Balrog
04-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I just wanna know what happened to eirikr and mr bungle 700. They were in my top 20 at least.

Gredlen
04-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I have over 1000 posts! I exist now (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=141173&postcount=12), hooray!

Bi-Polar Bare
04-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Hooray for nostalgia!!!

Toasty probably remembers me from a little while before. Or at least he would if he checked my IP.

But the old forums are still before my time.

Octopus Prime
04-12-2008, 03:21 AM
I hadn't even heard of Talking Time in it's pre-return (or Preturn) days. Those halcyon days when giants roamed the lands and mighty heroes set out to save distressed damsels. A nobler time, a proud time.

...but now all y'all got me. So... let that be a lesson to you!

Excitemike
04-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Yes, 2006 was a magical time.

estragon
04-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Toasty

Don't tempt fate.

Dizzy
04-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Real adults move on with their lives, and accept their crummy fate.

alexb
04-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, something does seem different. But it could just be that we're in the doldrums of summer. There's not much in the way of news or releases in this period.

Well, spring. And there are actually a lot of really big games coming out soon. But, you know...

Bi-Polar Bare
04-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Don't tempt fate.

What?

He likes it. Why else would I do it, right?

Gredlen
04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, spring. And there are actually a lot of really big games coming out soon. But, you know...

Don't listen to that guy. He doesn't know what he's talking about!

Dizzy
04-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, he's silly.

Ilchymis
04-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm contemplating various mad money-making schemes for the site, but no way am I taking random donations.

I'm such an asshole sometimes. But, hey! It worked!