PDA

View Full Version : The new Batman suit

Kolbe
06-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Here it is:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1287/newbatmansuitra1.jpg

Too much details, if you ask me, but we're yet to see it in action.

Excitemike
06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Costume By Hasbro

Schmidt
06-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Not as bad as Megatron.

Balrog
06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Looks like he's retiling the bat cave. Check out those knee-pads.

Stephen
06-14-2007, 11:53 PM
What, no nipples?

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Could care less how good or bad the costume is, as long as it's a good movie. The Goblin from the first Spider-man was horrendously bad, but the movie was good. The X-Men movie costumes were widely considered to be atrocious when introduced, but X-Men and X2 are two of the best superhero movies ever. (The third one we do not speak of.)

I have faith in this sequel. Of course, I didn't think Raimi could crap out a movie as bad as Spider-man 3, so... Still, I have high hopes.

alexb
06-15-2007, 12:34 AM
It's rough and kinda blocky looking, but perhaps more realistic than the 70s Batman-esque look they've been going with in the movies. It does have the benefit of looking like it's actually constructed out of pieces of contemporary body armor.

mr_bungle700
06-15-2007, 12:56 AM
I cannot condone the heading "Cape Fear." I'm sorry, I just can't.

Sanagi
06-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Bat-Tron!

Still, could be worse.

Schmidt
06-15-2007, 01:23 AM
It's rough and kinda blocky looking, but perhaps more realistic than the 70s Batman-esque look they've been going with in the movies. It does have the benefit of looking like it's actually constructed out of pieces of contemporary body armor.
Well, it's more realistic in that sense than the fetish-style rubber body suits the first movies were moving toward; but it's also still moving away from his appearance in the comics. Ease of movement and stealth have always been prioritized above padding and armor, though he's still been somewhat protected depending on who's writing him. It's never been nearly this bulky in normal circumstances.

Jakanden
06-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Could care less how good or bad the costume is, as long as it's a good movie. The Goblin from the first Spider-man was horrendously bad, but the movie was good. The X-Men movie costumes were widely considered to be atrocious when introduced, but X-Men and X2 are two of the best superhero movies ever. (The third one we do not speak of.)

I have faith in this sequel. Of course, I didn't think Raimi could crap out a movie as bad as Spider-man 3, so... Still, I have high hopes.

I agree with this sentiment. As long as the movie is good, I can deal with a bad costume.

openedsource
06-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Well, it's more realistic in that sense than the fetish-style rubber body suits the first movies were moving toward; but it's also still moving away from his appearance in the comics. Ease of movement and stealth have always been prioritized above padding and armor, though he's still been somewhat protected depending on who's writing him. It's never been nearly this bulky in normal circumstances.

Wasn't the batmobile in the first recent film an SUV/tank hybrid?

The suit reminds me of a cross between a paintball getup and the outfit worn by Citizen Prime (http://www.myspace.com/paragonprime).

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 06:57 AM
It looks decent, but I would have preferred the suit to be smoother. I'll reserve final judgment till I see the movie though.

nadia
06-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Eh, I'm in it for that ultra-creepy Joker.

Jeanie
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
I still think Mark Hammil should have been cast as the Joker, or at least overdub his voice.

nadia
06-15-2007, 07:32 AM
That would be 101% awesome, but the way I hear it he can't do the Joker voice anymore 'cos it rips up his voicebox. :(

Peach
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
The mask is always been the hardest thing to swing for me, but other than that and the cape, he looks like he'd be right at home in a Metal Gear Solid game.

Kolbe
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Well, I guess a "real-world" Batman suit would be kind of like a sneaking suit.

From what I heard, this suit doesn't just pop up at the beginning of the movie, but has something to do with the script. We'll see.

alexb
06-15-2007, 09:08 AM
The suit doesn't seem bulkier than the old ones, just more rough and textured looking. If anything, it looks like he can move a lot better than he could in the old movies. Remember the original movie's costume? That looked very uncomfortable.

openedsource
06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe it's the pose, but the new Batman bears an uncanny resemblance to Robocop.

alexb
06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
It's his manly jaw line, I think.

philliam
06-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I still think Mark Hammil should have been cast as the Joker, or at least overdub his voice.

That dude had the best Joker laugh, EVER.

Peach
06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
The joke is that Mark Hammil's acting career dried up after Star Wars, but you can't spit in the cartoon or video game section of Best Buy without hitting three things he did voices for. Please don't spit though.

JCDenton
06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Except for the helmet/cowl, it reminds me of the nano-suit from Crysis, which is to say, futuristic military body armor. Yay commas!

Sheana
06-15-2007, 03:17 PM
The costume don't bother me none. The fact that he can move his head in all directions now is a plus.

Batman needs freedom of movement!

shivam
06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
no yellow bat, no sale.
that said, it's still an awesome costume.

Sheana
06-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Wasn't the yellow circle just added to make the symbol stand out better on TV and later the movies? It wasn't originally part of his costume and I don't miss it.

When you're trying to blend into the shadows, yellow doesn't help.

Stephen
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I cannot condone the heading "Cape Fear." I'm sorry, I just can't.

That bothers you, but "Head games" doesn't? I seriously question your priorities.

On the other hand:

Daylight turns into night
We try and find the answer but it's nowhere in sight
It's always the same and you know who's to blame
You know what I'm sayin', still we keep on playin'...

BEAT
06-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I kinda like it. I'm also willing to bet I'll look pretty decent in action.

I'm still not 100 percent sold on the Joker though.

openedsource
06-15-2007, 06:54 PM
It's his manly jaw line, I think.

I can't be the only one who sees this.

http://openedsource.net/images/robobat.jpg

Sarcasmorator
06-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I kinda like it. I'm also willing to bet I'll look pretty decent in action.

I'm still not 100 percent sold on the Joker though.

You're not sold on a Joker with a Glasgow smile? Have a little faith, man. He's gonna be creepy as hell.

Guy
06-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Wasn't the yellow circle just added to make the symbol stand out better on TV and later the movies? It wasn't originally part of his costume and I don't miss it.

When you're trying to blend into the shadows, yellow doesn't help.

It can actually be a defense mechanism: In The Dark Knight Returns, someone shoots at it only to reveal bullet-proof plating underneath. The yellow symbol is revealed to be a target to draw fire toward his plated chest rather than his face or other limbs.

Calorie Mate
06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I think it looks ok. Not great, not terrible.

Personally, I'm depressed simply because this reminded me we have another year to go before the movie comes out.

Schmidt
06-15-2007, 10:08 PM
You know what does look great? Iron Man's suit. Obviously, the movie itself is still a complete unknown, but it's got solid casting and solid...die casting. Or however he made the thing.

Tomm Guycot
06-16-2007, 01:31 AM
YOu won't even notice the suit cause the camera's pulled in so close during action scenes, amirite!?

Red Hedgehog
06-16-2007, 08:26 AM
YOu won't even notice the suit cause the camera's pulled in so close during action scenes, amirite!?

Fuck yes. Whoever thinks its a good idea to do shaky-cam fight scenes needs to be fired. I actually enjoy seeing what's going on and knowing whether they bothered doing any choreography for the fights.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 10:08 AM

Biggest pet peeve when it comes to action movies. The fight between Obi-Wan /Anakin in Sith pales in comparison to the Obi-Wan/Darth Maul fight in Phantom. Why? Because you can see every move in Phantom. The duel between Anakin and Dooku in Clones was just shit.

Schmidt
06-16-2007, 12:30 PM
This was my first reaction to Batman Begins, and Bourne Supremacy as well. Same as everyone else, camera was in too close, or too shakey, it wasn't pulled back so we could clearly see an amazingly choreographed fight.

But the more I've thought about it, over time, the more I've decided it's the right choice. Consider fight scenes. How many times can you watch Woo-Ping do his thing before it all just looks the same? I've seen enough. Unless the movie is nothing but a weak premise to show off someone who is naturally an amazing fighter/athelete (i.e. Jackie Chan, Jet Li, kung-fu movies in general), I don't really care to be sucked out of the rest of the movie for a staged fight to show just how well this actor has trained to pull off something just like every other Hollywood fight scene.

Movies have come a long way in giving us more realistic fights, better use of stunt doubles, better trained actual actors, and they can give us a much more convincing fight than they used to. Yet when you compare it to those Jet Li movies or whatever, there's still really no point to try to impress us with the pure fightyness of your latest action flick; it's never going to compare.

So I'd rather they give us something that fits with the rest of the movie without putting direction on hold for a gymnastics session. If that means brutally intense fight scenes that never give you a clear idea of who's hitting what, I think that's fine, because Batman Begins shows us that can work. It's not so confusing that you're not sure who's winning; it's clear Batman is beating the snot out of people, it's just terrifying and fast and you don't know what's hitting who when, pretty much like how the guys he's beating must feel. Same with the fight in Bourne Supremacy; it's fast and ugly and imprecise, but brutal, like a fight should be.

The Matrix would be a good example of where there's certainly still room for amazing fights for the sake of fights, because they were sort of the point of the movie. It was important that we see the artistry and surreality of those fights because of what it meant for the concept of the matrix, bending rules, physics, and reality. So I don't have any problem with seeing every technical move in a fight, but I've grown out of the point where I expect and require it to have a good time in a movie.

Torgo
06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I didn't really notice anything expressly wrong with Batman Begins. I was too busy enjoying one of the best films I've seen in theaters in probably the past decade. (Keeping in mind that as of July 3rd I'll have gone two years without stepping foot into one).

And I'm not even a Batman fan to begin with. On a lark one boring day me and my dad just decided to go see it.

Re: The costume looks okay, I guess. I have no frame of reference, but it's a superhero costume, you know? It stands to reason it's gonna look at least a little dorky.

Tomm Guycot
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I should point out that I thought the close-in fights were good choices for Batman. I was just being snarky to poke fun at the people who are actually peeved about that.

Guy
06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I should point out that I thought the close-in fights were good choices for Batman. I was just being snarky to poke fun at the people who are actually peeved about that.

So did I. Fight choreography really isn't as important for Batman as it is for, say, Spider-man. In fact, if they had pulled out the camera and focused on the fights, I think I'd have found them distracting from the rest of the movie.

Chu
06-16-2007, 05:12 PM
While I understand your points about the shaky, too-close camera fights, I just kept getting dizzy whenever people started fighting and it got kind of annoying. That said, I still really dug the movie.

Calorie Mate
06-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I love you, Schmidt.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't quite remember the fight scenes in Batman Begins, but I think the close-ups would work if it was Batman jumping out of the shadows and knocking someone out.
I consider fight scenes a dance of sorts, and when I'm seeing a play and there's a dancin' going on, I want to see the whole person, not just a close-up of their arm or whatnot.

(Keeping in mind that as of July 3rd I'll have gone two years without stepping foot into one).
Transformers? I'm so glad that it's being released a day early, because I'm going on vacation on the 4th, and I don't think my girlfriend will let me watch the movie while we're in a different city.

Torgo
06-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Transformers?
Uh, wow. I seriously wasn't aware that Transformers was hitting on the 3rd. That rocks 1000 times over.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Ha, I misinterpreted what you said. Well, July 3rd's a good time to break that streak and start a new one.

Red Hedgehog
06-17-2007, 02:23 AM

Yeah, who actually wants to know what is going on in a fight scene? Or wants to watch some action without getting a headache. Those people are philistines.

It is quite possible to film a quick, intense fight or action scene while still giving the audience the impression of what is going on. Or you can just be lazy and shake the camera a bit while focusing on a blurry piece of action.

Batman Begins was a good movie, but it could have been a great movie with some improvements in the fight scenes (like, you know, maybe the fight with master Ra's Al Ghul), a more cleaned up romance plot, and some better acting by Chistian Bale (or maybe better writing while he was Batman - it's hard to tell who to blame there since he did a great job as Bruce Wayne).

Sarcasmorator
06-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Yeah, Batman was given quite a few cheesy lines in the movie.

Sheana
06-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Not to mention his adorable This Is My Scary Voice.

Kolbe
06-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Batman Begins was a good movie, but it could have been a great movie with some improvements in the fight scenes (like, you know, maybe the fight with master Ra's Al Ghul), a more cleaned up romance plot, and some better acting by Chistian Bale (or maybe better writing while he was Batman - it's hard to tell who to blame there since he did a great job as Bruce Wayne).

Or no romance at all. Let's face it: The movie is great, but Rachel Dawes has nothing to do there. These things in Batman never work because someone as obsessive as Bruce Wayne can't find time or interest in something as 'usless' (in his context) as love.

Almost any romance in Batman mythos feels forced, Catwoman and Talía being the exceptions.

Sarcasmorator
06-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I thought the idea of a romance in the first film was OK — he's still coming to grips with the fact that he can't have a normal relationship like that. But Dawes, as played by Katie Holmes, was a flat character. She should be more interesting with Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role.

Be interesting to see if the character lives through the movie. My guess is no. I betcha the Joker gets her.

Kolbe
06-17-2007, 03:29 PM
That would be sweet.

juanfrugalj
06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
She should be more interesting with Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role.

Be interesting to see if the character lives through the movie. My guess is no. I betcha the Joker gets her.

Odd choice, but somehow I completely agree.

And yes, she should die.

Mwahahaha!

I'll get my coat.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 07:41 PM
And now, the Batpod!

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1655/30587348mx8.jpg

I've never been a fan of the whole bat-vehicles thing. I think is too unrealistic, but at least this one has no "bat wings" or stuff like that and seems based on the Tumbler, which is good.

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
The batcycle was the second best* thing about Batman: Year 100. The way it folded and hung, well, like a bat? So absurd it crossed over back into awesome.

*behind the teeth, of course.

sraymonds
06-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I spent most of my time not understanding Batman: Year 100. That wasn't Bruce, was it?

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I think it was. I read it over the course of two visits to Barnes & Noble, standing in the aisle, dodging fat kids ambling around as they searched the manga shelves opposite the Real Comic Book section, so my comprehension and retention probably weren't at their peak, but I believe it was supposed to be Bruce.

sraymonds
06-19-2007, 08:57 PM
But the Jim Gordon in the comic was supposed to be Commish Gordon's grandson, which would have made Bruce in the hundred-something. I was reading it at work when I shouldn't have, so I didn't retain much either.

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't think it was ever clearly explained how he was still Bruce, but it's the impression I got. Dunno.

Kolbe
06-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Batman: Year 100?

What's that? :confused:

thomp538
06-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Not thinking of The Dark Knight Returns? He was pretty old in that one. Don't remember Gordon's grandon though so maybe not.

Kolbe
06-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Not thinking of The Dark Knight Returns? He was pretty old in that one. Don't remember Gordon's grandon though so maybe not.

Besides, there's not a Batcycle there, but a Bat-horse.

Schmidt
06-20-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=batman+year+100&btnG=Google+Search

alexb
06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Presumably a story about Batman doing his job in his hundredth consecutive year of public vigilante service. But I too would like to know more.

Schmidt
06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
He's old (though not as old as he should be, which as I said, I don't remember being well explained), believed to be a myth, Gordon's grandson is the commisioner, "capes" in general don't really exist any more. Big bad government setup corrupt police force gotta gain trust of a new Gordon, etc. Batman does his thing, crime is fought, teeth are bared, cycles unfold, world is saved.

Well written, but the plot doesn't hold up to the premise, and the art is awesome, but the kind of awesome that people might balk at if they're not keen on Batman not looking like they imagine him. I don't know the artist's name for this or Aeon Flux (I point you again to Google if you care), but if it's not the same guy, it must be his brother.

Excitemike
06-20-2007, 04:30 PM
The artist's name is Paul Pope (no, he is not Peter Chung's brother). He is an awesome artist. Used to publish his own series called THB, then went to Japan where he was published by Kodansha. American artist doing work for Japan's biggest publisher is the type of thing that never happens, so, yeah. He's done some other books for DC as well. I was waiting for Batman 100 to be collected and I guess it kind of fell off the radar. Sorry to tangent, but the guy is one of my favorite artists and I needed to gush a little.

Schmidt
06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Spoiler: It has been collected.

juanfrugalj
06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Why is Aeon Flux so popular?

Schmidt
06-20-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't actually know enough about Aeon Flux to say I like it, I just know I like the art in Batman 100, and it reminded me of vaguely-formed-impressions of Aeon Flux.

Excitemike
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Why is Aeon Flux so popular?
Aeon Flux is popular?

sraymonds
06-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Aeon Flux is popular?

Not popular enough to save the live-action Aeon Flux movie!

juanfrugalj
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't actually know enough about Aeon Flux to say I like it, I just know I like the art in Batman 100, and it reminded me of vaguely-formed-impressions of Aeon Flux.

Oh, it was just a tangent on my part. I wasn't implying anything about your tastes.

Aeon Flux is popular?

I've heard people rave over it. I assumed I was out of that particular loop.

Not popular enough to save the live-action Aeon Flux movie!

There was a movie!?

Jeanie
06-20-2007, 10:32 PM
There was a movie!?

Yep with Charlize Theron in the wacky revealing outfits. She looked good but I didn't like the plot of the movie.

Sarcasmorator
06-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I thought the plot was pretty good once I realized it was capping off all the stories that came before. It's an end point for the story.

The acting kinda sucked, though.