PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Crazy Larry
10-28-2007, 01:37 PM
So November is National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org/), a month long event where you try to produce a 50,000 word novel. Not exactly the best circumstances for structured, intelligent writing, but it's perfect for me since my biggest problem is always actually getting down to writing. I'm sure we have a few other writers here, so is anyone else taking part?

Mightyblue
10-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Maaaaaybe....

I'd like to, but I need to come up with a good idea and outline, then have 150 or so hours to write it. We'll see, anyway.

reibeatall
10-28-2007, 01:43 PM
MightyBlue, the point with NaNoWriMo is that you're supposed to just write. It doesn't matter if it's a good idea or not, just get it on paper. THEN you can edit it.

Mightyblue
10-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Haha, I know. I just want it be coherent when I write it is all.

poetfox
10-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I started once... wrote a few chapters of a really good idea... I thought anyway... and then kinda petered out... I dunno, maybe I should pick that back up and give it another try.

cortbassist89
10-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I think I might write an adaptation of Talking Time, one taking place in a king's castle in medieval europe....

"Chapter Five: The Pit of Flames

Young Philliam, a squire of the fifth order, ran down the castle's halls, into the dining room of the King's Knights, who had been studiously discussing politics and the censorship prevalent throughout the province.

"Guys!" Philliam shouted, interrupting the serious men, "Why does Sonic suck so damn much? I mean, seriously, what the hell happened?"

Their talk derailed, the Knights shrugged, and joined Philliam in conversation.

"Well Philliam, I just bought Sonic Mega Collection for the Nintendo Entertainment Cube," answered a young knight whose chainmail bore the initials J.J.B. "To me, Sonic died after Sonic and Knuckles WITH LOCK-ON TECHNOLOGY MOTHERFUCKAS! But, yeah, he's dead to me now. Fucking shame." '

Tomm Guycot
10-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I think we should do this.

Mewd
10-28-2007, 02:16 PM
As a veteran of NaNoWriMo, I find that once I actually complete the word count, regardless of whether or not I finish the story, I NEVER WANT TO LOOK AT THAT PIECE OF WRITING EVER AGAIN. And thus never edit it.

NaNoWriMo is a good motivator to get your creative gears grinding. Though it's also so stressful that actually completing it will have you tear out all the teeth of that gear and send the entire grandfather clock exploding into a cascade of razor sharp springs.

cortbassist89
10-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I think we should do this.
"Chapter One: Toasted Frog

All the town of Spyte had gathered in The Square, the center of town wherein tradition had dictated festivals shall be held. There they gathered for The Feast of the Toasted Frog, held annually by the good King Parish's Knights: the Tyrants. The children of the land enjoyed many a pony ride while the more mature gathered to talk of popular culture with the wise Knights.

In particular, a Black Mage Knight named Thomas had been leading a conversation with many young people about the common fallacies of colloquial diction. "Also guys, remember, I said things that people commonly say. While "wan't" is the single worst thing I've ever seen in writing, I doubt a lot of people are running around making that mistake--"

Thomas had stopped abruptly, as a young man, no older than 20, had timidly approached the group. "Er, hi," the young man shyly introduced himself, "I'm new here, er, I have been lurking around, stalking, admiring, you fine Knights for quite awhile, and now, I'd finally like to join."

Philliam the Squire accosted the timid boy, and promptly shoved in his face, with a cry of "Then thou must prove thine valor!", many a disgusting picture etched into a wax tablet..."

BEAT
10-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey, I'm actually doing this!

But not on this board, or with you guys. I would say sorry, but considering that I am not particularly talented, have never tried to write anything this big before, and am not even really a writer to begin with, I'm probably doing you all a favor.

Still, it should be fun to try, and that's really all I'm looking for.

cortbassist89
10-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, actually, upon checking the NaNoWriMo site, this sounds quite fun, so I'm throwing my hat in the ring. And yes, I'm doing that TT novelization, so no one take it! *serious face*

It will be shit. Glorious shit.

Mightyblue
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh, I'm not going to post it here. I'll just link the entries I make on my DA account or something as I write and post em.

SamuelMarston
10-28-2007, 03:45 PM
As a veteran, I can say this: Get a head start early, because week two is generally harder than week one.

Go for it!

I also treat my novel like a black spot. I can't stand to look at the thing, and I LIKE the story.

nadia
10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll take a miss this year. I've actually finished the first draft of my intended novel, and I should probably be more careful with the second.

NaNo is a great excercise, though!

Parish
10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Every year I think, "I should do this." But November is a TERRIBLE time. Better to be February or March. Much as I want to have a novel under my belt, I think I will spend my November catching up on games I've missed to date.

alexb
10-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Is everybody a would-be novelist except me?

Mightyblue
10-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I dunno. Most of the people who've posted in this thread are published in real life or write stuff for the site, so we already like writing.

It's not too much of a stretch anyway.

ScrambledGregs
10-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I've neither been published in real life (outside of my life as a semi-famous college paper columnist/music critic/drunk) nor do I write for the site, so I'm in. I'm sure whatever I produce will be unusable garbage, since I once forced myself to write for an hour a day for a month and only 40% of it was any good, but I've been slowly working my way up to a challenge like this, so...

Just out of curiosity: how many words per day would one have to write to meet the 50,000 word requirement?? I come up with around 1,500-1,600 words per day, which sounds like an awful lot, but I am a long winded son of a bitch.

Mightyblue
10-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Eh, you'd have to write about 1700 words a day to hit 50k by the end of the month. I can write at about 70 wpm, or 4200 wph, so I can hit that pretty easily just going by the numbers. Of course that doesn't take into account all the background work a novel takes, delays, writer's block, etc.

Merus
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Every year I think, "I should do this." But November is a TERRIBLE time. Better to be February or March. Much as I want to have a novel under my belt, I think I will spend my November catching up on games I've missed to date.
Wouldn't you normally write 50,000 words during November anyway?

BEAT
10-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Not really. My entrance into this insane realm is less about me wishing to be a true-blue writer, and more about creating a giant "HA HA JUST TRY TO READ THIS" for another gang of internet denizens I hang out with.

It's an awful lot of work for what amounts to one simple attack.

Mightyblue
10-28-2007, 08:51 PM
The gauntlet (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/231534) has been cast ladies. See you on the battlefield!

Parish
10-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Wouldn't you normally write 50,000 words during November anyway?
Maybe, but not with any kind of structure or anything.

tungwene
10-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Between full time classes and jobs I will pass this year. I actually thought up an idea but the more I ponder it the more I'm becoming disgusted with it. All I have down is a rough outline of the opening but the direction it goes from there is just boring. I'm having way more fun world building than I am trying to plan the plot so I'm at least thinking of saving some of the ideas for later.

Tomm Guycot
10-28-2007, 10:36 PM

Yet another thing that sets us in constant opposition.

Savathun
10-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm just too lazy for this.

Plus, no matter what, once I start writing a story, I will inevitably come to the point where I'm sick/ashamed of it and delete it all in a moment of impulse.

And I'm looking forward to that Toastyfrog story, just for my scenes.

Stiv
10-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm with Parish that November is the world's shittiest month for this, because it combines video game release hell with the local film series finally showing things I want to see AND the Denver Film Festival, AND there's Thanksgiving. Total amount of free time this month: NONE. Previous years have included me working on a thesis deadline and a release date in November, both of which were subsequently pushed back into April.

Otherwise, yes, I'd do it. Maybe I'll even make another attempt just to see how awesomely I fail.

ScrambledGregs
10-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Between full time classes and jobs I will pass this year. I actually thought up an idea but the more I ponder it the more I'm becoming disgusted with it. All I have down is a rough outline of the opening but the direction it goes from there is just boring. I'm having way more fun world building than I am trying to plan the plot so I'm at least thinking of saving some of the ideas for later.

Just a thought, but you could write a novel that serves as a tour guide to the world you're building.

Crazy Larry
10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm undecided about what I'll write (aside from that it will definately be fantasy.) I've got an idea that's been bouncing around in my head that I need to put down in writing, but I'm worried that if I write it for this I'll be so disgusted with the result that I'll scrap it altogether. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'll come up with anything coherent if I just wing it. Although I did have a decent idea for at least the start of a story last night.

Oh, and you'll find my crap here. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/230805)

Shadax
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I think this year I'm going to give it a shot, since I am unemployed. My plot? A smarmy recollection of my couch-surfing days, only if instead of pan-handling, I hunted the undead.

It worked well in an aborted graphic novel, so I can only pray it works without pictures.

Falselogic
10-29-2007, 03:31 PM
This will be my third attempt at writing 50,000 words of a novel. The last two attempts things have fallen apart in the first or second week. There won't be a better time than this November though. Done with school, just working a shitty job, waiting for real life to start. I should do this and get it done with.

Go NaNoWriMo!

spineshark
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I heard about this last year after it finished and told myself I'd try to do it this year. I'm glad for this thread, or I would've forgotten until partway through November at best, and been totally hosed.

Does the fact that I expect this to be at least a little fun mean I'm done for?

Evil Dead Junkie
10-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm also throwing down the gauntlet. Given that I will also be editing my senior project at the time, it's possible that I actually have no brains at all.

But Fuck it never claimed I was smart.

Healy
10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
I'd like to do it this year, but I'm a bit tapped for ideas. Oh, well, at least Corbassit's novel gave me the idea to put it into a sort of medieval setting. Maybe I'll redo that story about a kingdom besieged by a dragon I wrote when I was in the fourth grade or so.

cortbassist89
10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Yo, hit me up, I need writing buddies. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/230929)

I'm hoping this November will be more fun than torture.

tungwene
10-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Just a thought, but you could write a novel that serves as a tour guide to the world you're building.My problem with that is it takes the surprise of discovering these details as they are revealed by the story. It wouldn't read like a novel. I would read like a wikipedia article written by a zealous fanboy. It would ruin any surprises that would come later assuming anyone cared about it enough to read in the first place.

Merus
10-29-2007, 07:40 PM
I have an idea I've been procrastinating on, which I shall endeavour to revisit. It is, sadly, fantasy, but I feel that maybe it has a point of difference? Anyway I'm using fantasy to make fun of escapism.

spineshark
10-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Here's me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/233323), if we're grouping this up.

I'm going for a modern-day setting probably, maybe futuristic, but in any case, I'm going to have a hell of a time trying not to steal other ideas which I find to be really brilliant.

Shadax
10-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I went ahead and signed up (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/234194). This should hopefully work out well with my daily walking regimen, since I jog up to a computer lab and back, I can write in between.

ScrambledGregs
10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
I've already Buddy'd a few of you, but here's me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/235049).

I still only have a vague idea of what I'm going to do, but I'm pretty sure I can do this, assuming I don't find a real job in the next month.

sraymonds
10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I might, but I don't have the drive, and the only thing that I've completed is a 33-page children's book. It took me a month to write.

spineshark
10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I just remembered an old idea I had (a whole six months ago!), and I hope it's not so depressing that I'll give up. Fortunately after thinking through it, I have plenty to write (or so I think; I know how that always turns out), and the concept isn't inherently "doomed" but has a definite turning point that will define the rest.

But I have a question: what the heck is the difference between "mainstream fiction" and "literary fiction"? I guess I'll just choose "literary fiction" because I already seem to be working the pretentious angle, haha. I can always change it later.

Shadax
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Never mind, I remembered that I suck at writing action sequences in the first person, so I'm switching to another semi-autobiographical (I guess the closest thing would be an alternate universe autobiography) piece called Arlington Rock City.

I promise it won't be as terrible as the title.

Healy
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and joined up. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/235279) Hopefully I won't give up part way through, though even then I doubt I'll reach the 50,000 word mark.

Stiv
10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I'd add you guys as """buddies""" or post my own account but, like an idiot without knowing it would be my AWESOME FORUM NAME, I signed up using my real name. Sorry, you'll just have to deal without the moral support of seeing a big ZERO next to my name (partly because I use a typewriter but mostly because I NEVER REALLY DO IT)

Okay so I lied, you can find me here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/237287).

Eirikr
10-30-2007, 11:57 PM
I will do this as long as I can write a kid's story with someone(s). Anyone interested? Something very whimsical where playing back and forth would do the story and setting a world of good.

Shadax
10-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I will do this as long as I can write a kid's story with someone(s). Anyone interested? Something very whimsical where playing back and forth would do the story and setting a world of good.

Hit me up on AIM or e-mail. I'd be interested in helping out in this to break away from the drudgery that will be my main project.

spineshark
10-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Hit me up on AIM or e-mail. I'd be interested in helping out in this to break away from the drudgery that will be my main project.
I was thinking the same thing. I could definitely stand the thought of working on something lighter alternately.

Stiv
10-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Just a quick protip, guys: If you actually try and do anything even semi-serious that you will actually care about, you are going to completely freeze.

Unless you're made of sterner stuff, which is entirely possible

Eirikr
10-31-2007, 12:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I could definitely stand the thought of working on something lighter alternately.

I have/will private message you both and hope we can get something worked out.

Steve
10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
It's probably an awful idea, given how busy I'm going to be this month, but on the other hand, if I keep myself under enough stress from a diverse enough array of sources, I can distract myself from how miserable any one of those individual stressors is making me.

So, uh, I'm here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/231552) if anyone is interested (which I wouldn't be if I were you) or, alternatively, if they need a sample of failure to preserve their own self-worth. Either way, I'm here to help. Also, I'm hoping that (somewhat) public viewing of my progress will shame me into actually accomplishing something.

Eirikr
10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Okay, I signed up (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/242545). My AIM is in my Talking Time profile if any of you guys want to get started on this tomfoolery.

civilized worm
11-01-2007, 12:09 AM
My problem with that is it takes the surprise of discovering these details as they are revealed by the story. It wouldn't read like a novel. I would read like a wikipedia article written by a zealous fanboy.

You say that like it's a bad thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tl%C3%B6n%2C_Uqbar%2C_Orbis_Tertius)

spineshark
11-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Just finished my first "session." I hate writing beginnings of stories since I never know where to start. But I managed to put something down and I have plenty to add onto it next time. Which will be a lot easier in general because I spent about an hour just trying to get into my character's (*cough* okay just my) head as a five- or six- year old, which is going to serve me well for the next good while.

tungwene
11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tl%C3%B6n%2C_Uqbar%2C_Orbis_Tertius)Well, yes it is. A book report doesn't equal a book.

Merus
11-01-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm doing this as well, and I wrote until I got to what I think is the first proper concept. Here is my profile, and that punchline. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/82100)

I'm still not entirely sure of the style, it's way too flowery, but I think now that I've reached this point it'll be easier to get into a style that I think works. Part of it, I think, is that I'm deliberately writing stiff to get to this point.

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm sure I'm a little late, but I just wanted to wish everybody here good luck. I've got Chris Baty's book, "No Plot, No Problem", and it talks basically about overcoming the hurdles involved in writing a book.
So, have an awesome time everyone.

Merus
11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
My approach is that I'm writing in a deliberate episodic style, so mini conflicts every chapter, and then I start wrapping up the loose ends towards the end.

It seems to work okay, in that I know what my theme is, sort of where I'm shooting for and I have a couple of ideas for places to go, and if I run out I can always start setting up the ending.

ScrambledGregs
11-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Last night I had that panic moment where I realized it was 5 minutes after midnight and I hadn't started writing yet. I was drunk, so I scribbled some crap down in my notebook and went to bed. I don't recommend anybody do this, because I can barely read my own handwriting...

sraymonds
11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I've got Chris Baty's book, "No Plot, No Problem", and it talks basically about overcoming the hurdles involved in writing a book.

You too? Did you get the little kit that had all the extra stuff in it? I'm curious what's in that "Failure" envelope.

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
You too? Did you get the little kit that had all the extra stuff in it? I'm curious what's in that "Failure" envelope.

Nah, I got it a few years ago. It's just the plain ol' book.

Mightyblue
11-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, had to work this last night so I couldn't write anything, then woke up with a killer migraine this morning so that ruined this morning. After I get back from school in a few hours, hohoho, then we'll see.

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm about thirteen and a half hours late, but I'm going to give this NaNoWriMo thing a shot, finally. Don't expect anything from me, though.

Here's me. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/245124) I've gone through and added you guys.

cortbassist89
11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I forgot it starts today.

I will be spending all night on this.

This. Will. ROCK.

Mightyblue
11-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Okay, since NaNoWriMo's website is being assy today, I went ahead and posted the same excerpt on my DA page (http://mightyblue.deviantart.com/art/Genesis-Cage-Excerpt-1-68771917) that's available in my NaNo page. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/231534)

Word Count as of 11/1: 3864

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Holy crap, nice. I was on a roll earlier today, but I had to stop for a while, and I can't get back into it. I'm only at 1162.

Crazy Larry
11-01-2007, 06:31 PM
So yeah, I decided to just wing it and go with the idea I had a few days ago. Actually turned out fairly well, and it looks like I might be able to go somewhere with it. Word count is only 2,300 though, which is kind of disappointing, since I had today off and the beginning was the only part that I had any real conception of. But holy crap, 50,000 words is a ton of words. Don't really think this story can reach that mark going off the top of my head anyway. I'll count it as a victory just to reach the end, whatever it is.

But yeah, the site's being really crappy or I'd post what I have.

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Are you guys to the point where you're on a second chapter?

Crazy Larry
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I suppose so, yes. I've got a short chapter, sort of a prologue, and then I'm about midway through what would be the next chapter. I've broken it down into chapters for convenience when referencing, but I don't see that it's going to turn out to be so structured as to need chapters. To start off I'm going to be writing for decent stretches from one point of view as I explore the world and introduce the plot, but I expect to jump back and forth from viewpoints fairly fast later on. I think it'll come out from some of the Discworld novels, where you'll have several paragraphs, maybe a few pages worth, of writing from one point of view, and then switch off again real fast, without any real logical points for dividing it into chapters.

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok, cool. I feel like I've got a good point for a chapter break, I just wanted to see if anybody else was feelin' it.

Crazy Larry
11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Ok, cool. I feel like I've got a good point for a chapter break, I just wanted to see if anybody else was feelin' it.

I can actually see where a decent point for the end of this chapter to be ( or maybe break it up even further and have another whole chapter by that point if I can really flesh it out.) After that I can see at least the basis for one more chapter. And then the story really just kind of breaks down and I don't know what the heck is going to happen. But really, I feel like chapters are something that get introduced later, in the editing process. For this I just feel like getting as much of the story down as I can, structure be damned.

Mightyblue
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, if you've read the section I've posted I was only going to cover the beginning of the main's training, then break for a new chapter. The first couple chapters are what I was intending to make the novel's prologue, then I'd move into the main part of the story. I might hit 10k words before I hit the main section of the novel, lol.

Shadax
11-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I had a test today, so I am aiming for 2000 words by this time tomorrow, by locking myself in a computer lab if necessary.

Sadly, I am mostly accustomed to short fiction, so 2000 words of what essentially barely counts as build-up is going to be a challenge.

ScrambledGregs
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm currently around 2,000 words. This is as far as I normally get with a novel, since I come up with a great idea and sit down for an hour or two to start typing it, then I come back later and think it's shit so I either delete it or never finish.

I'm not even worrying about how long or short my chapters are, since I think that's the kind of shit you worry about during the editing stage.

Crazy Larry
11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
I swear to god, if I don't make it to 50,000 words I'm blaming it all on the hour I lost trying to access the site.

Healy
11-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Just wanted you all to know, my novel's first chapter is titled "What a Horrible Night for a Dragon."

Good luck, everybody!

reibeatall
11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
So guys, after NaNoWriMo, those of us who finish, want to pitch in and make an actual book via CafePress?

tungwene
11-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Here's me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/248387). I've set myself the goal of 2,000 words per day since I know I'll miss some days due to work. This means I'm already 1,645 words behind schedule.

reibeatall
11-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey guys, don't forget to update your wordcount on the NaNoWriMo site.

cortbassist89
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm already behind :(

I'm just now starting :(

ScrambledGregs
11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm already up to around 5,000 words, unless my Word's word count is wrong. I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'm only up to the second of around fifteen different scenes I want to hit.

cortbassist89
11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Okay, so, I'd like to know who'd be willing to give me clearance to use an exaggerated medieval version of themselves in my novel.

You will mostly be knights, unless you or I have a better idea.

Realize I'll be putting words in your mouth, but I don't mean any of it.

nadia
11-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Though I'm not actually part of NaNo, I was writing up part of the second draft of my novel today and my cat stepped on the keyboard. Does the extra five pages of gibberish he added go towards my word count?

nadia
11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I can do that. I'll need to write in an alien character though, because I don't think the human tongue can pronounce ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>."

Crap, it's 11:00. Time to start writing today. It's still Friday until I fall asleep.

This mentality has gotten me through so many deadlines, you wouldn't believe.

Healy
11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Up to 2,050 words today, and tomorrow I hope to bump it up to at least 3,000-4,000.

In the "something completely different", here's what I consider to be a choice bit from my novel:

“Well, there’s no need to get upset,” the young man said. “To tell you the truth, I shouldn’t be here. I’m the postman’s assistant, you see.”
Thomas did a double take. “The postman’s assistant?!” he cried. “What’s the postman’s assistant doing in the grocer’s store?”
“Well, you see, I’m having an affair with the grocer’s wife,” the young man said, matter of factly.

Again, good luck everyone!

Crazy Larry
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm slowing down after my nice start. Only up to 3,426 words now, and I probably won't write anything again until tomorrow night or Monday morning. I'm still pretty pleased with what I've got done though. I thought I was going to have a lot of trouble fleshing the story out to reach 50,000 words, but I'd forgotten the way that little details can trail off into their own little tangent and blossom. Had a section that should have taken one paragraph stretch out into 400 words.

On the other hand, I'd forgotten how much I hate/suck at writing dialog. Seriously, if I could find a way to write this without anyone talking I would.

Mightyblue
11-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Dialog is a strange beast. I've always thought that I sucked at it, but every time I do a peer review or have someone read my stories they always say that my dialog is pretty natural and I do a good job at establishing the voices of my characters. I don't pretend to understand how I do it, but I'm more confident about it now anyway.

nadia
11-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I love writing dialogue. If I could write something using only dialogue...well, I'd have a screenplay.

It's easy: How do the people around you talk? What words do they use? What gestures seem to accompany those words? Just listen to people and emulate them.

reibeatall
11-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm not having dialog in my story. It's weird, but there aren't any quotes. It feels pretty natural.

Of course, that's going to change when I need people to talk.

Merus
11-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I get pretty scared of dialogue (British spelling) because I always imagine that my characters all sound the same and oh god I'm Joss Whedon nooooooo.

nadia
11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not having dialog in my story. It's weird, but there aren't any quotes. It feels pretty natural.

Of course, that's going to change when I need people to talk.

Frank McCourt never uses quotation marks. He's an Irish Ninja.

If anyone wants help, feel free to post excerpts and I'll make things worse--uh, I mean, help you along in any way I can.

Traumadore
11-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Or you can go all Heart of Darkness and the whole story is a narration in quotation marks.

Mightyblue
11-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Blurgh. Today was okay, mostly because I got to play some P3, but aside from some house and homework stuff, I had to scramble to put some site stuff together so my anime DVD column was on time, and argh. Only got to write about a 1k words tonight, will do more tomorrow.

Word Count: 5344

Mightyblue
11-04-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not done for today, not for a long shot, but I managed to track down some stuff I'd written for the prologue on the first day that I also managed to lose track of somewhere. It's kind of weird for me, since I don't do poetry and some of it is decidedly poetic (or I tried to be). I also tried to be cute by placing the chapter titles for the first part within the poetic bits and I think it turned out decently. I'll post em as Excerpt 0 on my DA page, and a journal post there that goes more into depth.

I think it's kinda fun to ramble on with shoptalk, unless you guys are bored with it or just want word count updates. What does everyone else think? Just NaNoWriMo updates, or talking about the craft behind the madness too?

spineshark
11-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't like writing dialogue. I'm trying to avoid it, aside from entirely meaningless banter, partly because of this fact, but also I hope it emphasizes what I want to get across.

I also hate assigning names to characters. I only have two named characters right now, which might go all the way up to four or five.

And I've been procrastinating horribly. If I can't get up to 5,000 words today (which would still be behind) I'm totally screwed.

Tomm Guycot
11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
I finally started last night. Impressed with what I coughed up. I don't have a page or anything, cause I think that is lame.

Dialogue is my mutant power. I struggled with descriptive text until I discovered that writing in first-person POV wasn't the worst thing you could ever do with your life ever (but hey, thanks High School professors--you scarred me for a decade). Make your weakness your strength!

tungwene
11-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I also hate assigning names to characters. I only have two named characters right now, which might go all the way up to four or five.That's my biggest weakness too. Most of my characters and locations all have place holder names.

I haven't got much done this weekend nor was I expecting to because of work but hopefully I can get some catching up done today.

reibeatall
11-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I have no idea how I came up with the names, but I realize that it doesn't really matter. The story's just a giant brainstorming session.

reibeatall
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Guys, I knew it'd be hard to hit the mark, but holy crap. It's totally do-able, but it's quite a task.

reibeatall
11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
So I've got 4 main characters right now, and I'm leaning towards following one certain character (Jessie), but I can't figure out what to do with my others. I guess I'm just going to shepherd them to their death.

reibeatall
11-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Well, I'd do that, except they all take place in a different time...

My writing style is heavily based upon the works of Mark Z. Danielewski. Which basically means they make little bits of sense on their own, but when you combine paths, it's like a giant lightbulb. Also, my philosophy of "Everything's connected" and something taken from BoF4 (OHH GOD I AM A NERD) along the lines of "everybody's soul stream remembers who they've met and even if they're apart they affect each other."

This is fun.

Sheana
11-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I've such an urge to write. Aside from my webcomic I've got another story with a clear world, clear characters and various scenes and twists in mind that'd make a good graphic novel or regular novel. If I weren't so busy with Real Life, I'd really want to take part in this too.

Maybe next year...

Mightyblue
11-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Actually, doing this is more to make me actually finish a novel for once than anything else. I've had the background material for this sitting around since early spring and I've done nothing but sit on it while doing little else. Since I'm not doing it for a living, there's no real impetus for me to actually write it out versus just playing it out in my head or whatever. I suppose if I get published that would change, but I'm not, and I want to be and...you get the point.

I genuinely like to write, so I'm just lazy I think.

I'm taking a bit of a break since I've just about hit the perquisite word count for the day and I stopped at a good point in the narrative. Woo for being at 6,782!

Mightyblue
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I was planning on doing the same thing myself, and it didn't really work out either. Did a bunch of stuff for site articles though and other school work, so that counts as writing as well. It usually takes me a few hours to knock together the Anime DVD column and another half hour to do the pictures for it.

Add that to the fact I'm a lazyass and I wanted to play some P3 (most of Saturday as it turned out, heh) so I didn't really get too much done. I'll probably crank out the rest of this chapter I'm working on tonight and start on the third chapter. That's probably around ~1000 words and another half to full hour of writing.

Mightyblue
11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Haha. I've written almost 3500 words today, which is two day's worth in something like two hours. I stopped in the middle of a dialogue/exposition scene, but I'm feeling creatively tapped out at the moment so I'm going to call it a night and play some TF2 or something.

Word Count: 8,769

I'm still in the second chapter, but there shouldn't be much more than a page or two left depending on how much more info I want to dump. Basically the first part of the book lays the groundwork for the rest of the novel (like it should), but the major payoff should be in the fourth and final major section I have planned.

Mightyblue
11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Didn't have a whole lot of time to write today, but I managed to tack on another thousand words, and start the action packed third chapter! Woo! *cough* I like keeping ahead of schedule like this, so I'm pretty happy to end here today.

Word Count: 9707

cortbassist89
11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Haha I'm stuck at 1442 words because I'm procrastinating badly.

I think I'm going to take this weekend to catch up. 48 hours of writing, baby!

Not even joking.

Mightyblue
11-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Considering that each of my chapters has grossed about 4500 words each so far, I think I'll hit 50k long before I'm actually done with the book itself, but that's fine too. I went in with a concrete plan, plenty of background work and a detailed outline for the first part of the novel, so I've got a bit of an advantage there. Most of my problem has been motivating myself to write, and with a deadline to meet, that hasn't been such a problem lately.

Edit: For a bit of fun, to be on track to finish on time, you'd need to have about 8335 words by the end of today, and 10002 for tomorrow.

ScrambledGregs
11-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Shit, I really meant to write something yesterday, but it was my day off and I got lazy and and...

I'm up to 8,000 words as of right now. I guess I could be worse off.

reibeatall
11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
During class, I handwrote at least a thousand words, but I have yet to type them into my novel. Even with that, I'm not near what I should be in terms of quota, so this week, with me being off work, is going to be a blitzkreig of nonsense writing for quick words.

reibeatall
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm physically writing the words, but haven't gotten around to typing it up yet. But I will!

Mightyblue
11-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah busy, but I've been brainstorming and outlining future chapters at the least. I should be able to write a lot tomorrow, and this weekend.

Mightyblue
11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Okay, hit 12,050 and I'm taking a break for a bit before trying to hit today's goal of 13,336 or so. Also going to post a second excerpt on NaNo and DA, replacing the one I've already got on NaNo.

EDIT: Done for the night at 13,247. Getting tired and I have stuff to do this morning.

EDIT EDIT: 13,247 - 9,707 = 3,540 words :D

Crazy Larry
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm at about 5,000 words now. Aside from a fifteen minute streak of inspiration last night I hadn't written anything since last friday. I've got some serious work to do.

mopinks
11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I wanted to give NaNoMangO (http://www.digitalmidnight.net/nanomango/) a go, but I'm already nine days behind and I'm having more than enough trouble finishing the comics I actually get paid for. damn november doldrums!

Falselogic
11-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I got about 300 words in to it and then bad things happened. Third time is not a charm

reibeatall
11-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm sitting at a horrible 4148, however I still have 4 hand written pages left to type up. Thanksgiving week is going to be filled with lots and lots of writing.

Also, I'm having a lot of fun when I actually get around to writing. I've got more pages written now on this one thing than I ever have before, and it's giving me a little sense of accomplishment.

ScrambledGregs
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm somewhere around 16,000 words, and I'll probably finish barring any unforeseen problems--writer's block, kidnapping, coma, etc.

My two tips to those of you stuck already: sketch out your general plot arc (including specific scenes) and start drinking. The former has helped me immensely, because I'll often sit down to start to write the scene and it transforms into something else by the time I'm done with it. I normally have a very difficult time just sitting down and making stuff up as I go along; after all, even the greatest of improvisers need some kind of framework to go off of.

As for the latter...well, alcohol will lubricate your mind and make you not worry about whether what you're writing is any good. I'm like 1/3 of the way there but most of what I've written, if I bothered to go back and read it, is probably garbage. The whole idea is to pour out a huge volume of text, and then spend much more time editing, deleting, and adding to it.

Come on. Just take two of your drink of choice--beer, hard liquor, coffee, tea, whatever--and start writing something. Don't worry about reading over it yet, or who might read it. Even if you never read over what you've written or have anyone else write it, you can still know that you accomplished something that most people only dream of: writing a novel in 30 days.

reibeatall
11-09-2007, 08:15 PM
5074 for now.

Gregs, if I drank, I probably would do that, instead, I'm writing sober. I've pretty much thrown away my inner editor, and I'm writing what I think, it's just that it's sometimes hard for me to just sit down and start writing. Once I do, I'm good.

Mightyblue
11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Okay, got about another 1800 words in the last hour or so, and I'm hoping to get that same amount in again before I have to go to work. Currently @ 15,087. I just finished up a really sad and depressing scene, and it's still got me a little melancholic. The way I tried to combine imagery, dialog and exposition actually worked out fairly well I think, so I need to take a break before I start sniffling, heh.

Mightyblue
11-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Okay, I'm up to 16,228, and I have to go to work soon, so that will probably be it for the night.

Falselogic
11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Where do you find the time and energy. I work 8 hours and then come home and cook for myself and the gf. When I try to sit down to write, if there arent any emergencies to deal with, I'm too drained to think of anything. And all my outlines, plot arcs look like garbage and sit there... sigh

reibeatall
11-11-2007, 07:47 PM
falselogic, take Greg's advice. Drink. Not so much that you can't see straight, but just enough so that you don't care what you're saying. The only thing that's stopping anybody from writing what they want is that they're afraid it's going to be bad. Hemmingway said something along the lines of "Every first draft is shit." Just get your words out, however you can.

Mightyblue
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I use my writing as a channel for all the shit that happens to me in a day. I get angry, frustrated and depressed just like anyone else. I just turn that into passion and inspiration to do something constructive, and that makes the difference. That, and not worrying about whether what I write is utter shat or not. Just write it and worry about editing and the like later.

Mightyblue
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Okay, I broke the 20k word mark, and I think I'm done for the day. I think four thousand words is enough for me. -_-

WC: 20,412

Mightyblue
11-13-2007, 12:33 AM
I got to 21,249 today, which isn't bad considering I was busy as hell. Barring any obstacles, I should get some more done tomorrow.

ScrambledGregs
11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I've fallen behind, due to having to work all day Saturday and Sunday, and being fucking exhausted and depressed yesterday. Hopefully I can start powering through a bunch, because I probably won't have a day off for awhile...

Mightyblue
11-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I wrote a bunch in classes today, most likely in the several thousand word range. When you're discussing impressions of particular plot elements in Victorian novels, concentration is not required.

Mightyblue
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I would like to extend a small "F***, my hand hurts" since I apparently wrote about 2,250 words in my project notebook today. I'm done for tonight, since I'm going to be crazy busy this week.

Word Count: 23,536

EDIT: found something cool on NaNoWriMo's (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/widgets) website.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/NanowrimoUtils/LiveParticipant/231534.png

Crazy Larry
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, I'm throwing in the towel. At a little over 5,000 words halfway through the month I think it's obvious that I'm not finishing. I think my problem was just in choosing the wrong story to tell. Probably should've went with something that I had some conception of where it was going. As it was, I had a clear image of the start and one or two characters, but beyond that was a blank. I realize Nanowrimo is about getting past writer's block and other stumbling blocks and just writing, but I don't see the point in forcing myself to write just for the sake of a word count. I'm not someone who can single-mindedly throw myself at an obstacle just to prove I can overcome it.

Mightyblue
11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.nanowrimo.org/NanowrimoUtils/LiveParticipant/231534.png

Yay, past the 50% mark. It's all downhill from here baby! Or at least for NaNoWriMo. I have that sinking feeling that my novel's gonna be a hell of a lot longer than 50k words. Which is good.

EDIT: My image doohickey is being stupid. I'm at 25337 right now.

cortbassist89
11-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm with ya Larry.

But I promise to do the Screenplay Month thing they do, and actually finish that.

Who's with me?

ScrambledGregs
11-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Damn, is anybody else still going with this?? I'm a bit over 30,000 words with roughly 10 days to go. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to finish/wrap up my story, but I want to get over 60,000 words if possible...

Mightyblue
11-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah I am. I'm a bit behind due to a major crunch this last weekend, but I should catch up and go past the requirements once vacation starts on Wed. I've been writing, but too busy to transcribe into the 'ol computer.

Steve
11-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I think I'm done.

I'm still at like 5,000 words - November, as it turns out, was a really inopportune month for this. I'll probably keep up work on the draft I started - it's something that's been kind of simmering in the back of my mind for the past couple of years - at a reduced pace more compatible with my current workload.

I don't need no Internet conglomerate telling me when and what to write, anyway.

Mightyblue
11-21-2007, 01:29 AM
I haven't had time to transcribe it all, but I'm sitting around 33k. I'm mostly caught up, and with the long holiday weekend I shall smash it to bits.

Mightyblue
11-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm around 40k myself, but my novel won't be over until the 80-90k range at least. At this point I'm not worried about NaNoWriMo, I just want to finish this by the end of January so I can edit and work on it to get into shape for possible publishing. Which is a separate pipe dream, but I need to finish something first.

ScrambledGregs
11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm around 43,000 words and so fucking close to the deadline I'm terrified that I somehow won't make it. All the ideas I had for my story are almost all done, too, so I hope I can manage 7,000 words out of the remaining ones...

Mightyblue
11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Eh, I'm probably in the low 40's somewhere. I haven't had the time, nor will I by the end of the month to transcribe it all, but that's fine, since I got what I wanted out of NaNoWriMo.

Mightyblue
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Oh, I'm not done, and won't be by the end of tomorrow, which is fine. Congrats, by the way.

ScrambledGregs
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/gregradiohead/nano_07_winner_small.gif

Hooray!! I finished tonight at 1 a.m., well ahead of my goal of "the afternoon of the 30th before I have to go to work."

Steve
12-09-2007, 01:27 PM
http://photos-458.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v164/60/50/3002458/n3002458_31130792_9785.jpgcharacter limit

JohnB
12-09-2007, 01:32 PM
http://photos-458.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v164/60/50/3002458/n3002458_31130792_9785.jpgcharacter limit

EPIC FAILURE

JohnB
12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
*laughs* It totally does.

Props to all you guys, though. I swear I couldn't muster 10 words on paper, let alone 50k. Kudos.