PDA

View Full Version : Alternate 11: Cave Story

Parish
10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Out of the tombs, into the caves. Except that most of Tomb Raider WAS in caves. Ah, the hell with it. Anyway, the point is that I'm finally playing this. So, bully for that.

Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari)
Pixel | PC etc. | Adventure | 2003 or so

Let us make a journey into a cave of monsters. Now it is the beginning of a fantastic story!!

djSyndrome
10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Parish, how are you playing this? Parallels? The OSX (http://www.sharpproductions.com/jamsoft/incognito/filechute/Doukutsu.dmg) version?

Octopus Prime
10-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Cave Story eh? Can't say I expected that Mr. Parish.

And this time I have nothing snarky to say since I like Cave Story and it's free.

Jakanden
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I played through both the PC and PSP versions. This game totally awesome and if you have never played it, you have no excuse as it is free.

Ben1842
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Cave Story eh? Can't say I expected that Mr. Parish.

And this time I have nothing snarky to say since I like Cave Story and it's free.

Don't worry I got your back.

Who has time to play Cave story with all this great new stuff out?

LOL j/k Jeremy. It's a great game.

Guy
10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Parish, be sure never to trade the Polar Star, no matter how nice the new weapon offered in return is. You can have it upgraded to the awesome Spur at the end.

BEAT
10-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I played through both the PC and PSP versions. This game totally awesome and if you have never played it, you have no excuse as it is free.

The PSP version actually exists? Like, the one that one company swore they were making?

Unpossible.

Brickroad
10-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Parish, be sure never to trade the Polar Star, no matter how nice the new weapon offered in return is. You can have it upgraded to the awesome Spur at the end.

This is not necessarily good advice. The Spur is an awesome bosskiller, but the mobility offered by the Machinegun cannot be overstated.

I didn't need another excuse to replay Cave Story, but I will happily accept one!

JCDenton
10-30-2007, 02:31 PM

Naw, it is a short game. Trade the Polar Star for the Machine Gun the first time through, it is totally worth it. Second time through Hell runs demand the spur.

poetfox
10-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Will the machine gun help me out a lot...? I suck, I'm at the boss right after you can get it, and I just cannot beat it... I gave up on it a month or two back after tons of tries (the fact that there's talking to run through before the fight didn't help) and I would like to finish it at some point... it's really good stuff, and nice to play on the go. (I'm doing the PSP version)

Zen
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
You're totally supposed to take the machinegun your first time through. And the jetpack. It makes going through it a second time with harder platforming and all the hard-path stuff that much more fun.

Octopus Prime
10-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I've started up a new game as it's been a dang long time since the last time I played.

Albino Gun-Haver is going to save some Cave-Puppies!

Balrog
10-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I played through the PSP version when it came out earlier this year. I <3 this game. I've even toyed with the program that made the awesome music(OrgMaker)which can be found here. (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/music.php)

Brickroad
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Since I can't play it until I get home from work, I figured I'd compose the Big List of Flaws in Cave Story.

Flaw #1 - You can't skip cutscenes.
Flaw #2 - It has an ending, after which there is no more Cave Story.
Flaw #3 - Lacking any major serious flaws, there is nothing to complain about, thereby eliminating one of the favorite pasttimes of internet gamers everywhere.

A while ago someone released a patch that swapped the role of the hero with Curly Brace, which was an interesting way to play the game. I think I'll do that.

MCBanjoMike
10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey, I made my own .org music, too! Just one track, but it entertained me greatly. We should all swap .org files!

Cave Story is, in all seriousness, probably in my top 10 games of all time. Everything about it feels just right - the graphics are retro, but stylish and appealing; the music is absolutely amazing; the controls are unique and subtle; the game is challenging but never cheap; it has tons of replayability, multiple endings and a charming cast. I'm very jealous of those of you who are about to play this for the first time!

As for the discussion above about weaponry, DO WHAT YOU WANT. The game only takes about 4 hours to replay once you know what you're doing and it's pretty much impossible to screw yourself over to the point where you can't finish the main game. Explore and enjoy, try out whichever ones seem interesting to you.

I will add this, which is a minor spoiler (although previous posters already touched on it): There are two main paths to the game, the regular path and the hard path. Getting onto the hard path is actually not very obvious and requires you to pay very close attention to some seemingly unimportant details in various points through the game. I'd advise that you try to figure it out yourself (starting on your second playthough, not the first time) - but don't be ashamed if you get stuck and need to check a guide. Chances are it will be Sharkey's guide, since it's one of the only ones out there, and it's a hilarious read even if you've already finished the game.

Parish
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I was thinking it would be fun to discover these things for myself, actually.

Octopus Prime
10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't trade away the Polar Star even if I was offered a million dollars for it.

I... I wuvs the Polar Star

Mightyblue
10-30-2007, 03:33 PM
There's a fusion weapon you can obtain with the Polar Star too...

But my <3's go to the Bubbler.

Tomm Guycot
10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I was thinking it would be fun to discover these things for myself, actually.

Welcome to the major flaw in the Fun club system.

ArugulaZ
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Niiiiice choice!

There was never an official Cave Story release. However, there's a freeware version that's extremely faithful to the PC original... you just need to have a modified PSP in order to play it. Last I checked, the PSP port of Cave Story was 90% complete, with only a few minor elements missing. By now, it may actually be totally finished. It's been months since I've followed the project, so it seems likely.

But enough about that! However you play it, Cave Story's one of the all-time greats of public domain gaming. Be sure to look for Curly Brace's panties!

Jakanden
10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
The PSP version actually exists? Like, the one that one company swore they were making?

Unpossible.

It is the one I mentioned awhile (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=680&highlight=Cave+Story) ago. It is a homebrew port endorsed by the creator and not the retail one that was floating around.

I played through it nearly all the way through on the PSP with no problems and have since played the PC version all the way through.

Parish
10-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the major flaw in the Fun club system.
Not really. The idea is for people to play the games concurrently, not say, "Wow, what a great game that was this one time I played it! Here are all the spoilers." It's not the system that's inherently flawed but rather the fact that people are drifting further and further from its intended purpose.

Mewd
10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
The machine gun is marvelous as it gives you a jet-pack like ability before you actually get the jet pack. Combining the two makes you feel like a small, puttering deity.

The upgraded Polstar is awesome, but getting that AND going without the initial jetpack upgrade is tough by comparison.

JCDenton
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Ok, started a new game and it is just as good as I remember. Just got the bubbler, can't wait to power it up. A few more fetch quests than I had recalled, but no matter, its fun just getting around. Have to decide what weapons I want.

Octopus Prime
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Not really. The idea is for people to play the games concurrently, not say, "Wow, what a great game that was this one time I played it! Here are all the spoilers." It's not the system that's inherently flawed but rather the fact that people are drifting further and further from its intended purpose.

Don't worry Jer, I'm doing it right. I'm doin' it right

Parish
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Eh, it's my own fault for letting you guys drift astray without my ruthless, tyrannical guidance to keep you in check. Don't worry, a new era of fascism begins NOW.

Jeanie
10-30-2007, 05:34 PM
All hail our Glorious Leader!

Brickroad
10-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Just blasted through the game up through Grasstown. I love the boss of that area. I always wished the game had a boss rush mode. Maybe some enterprising hacker will make my dreams a reality someday.

Oh, in case anyone was interested, I dug up the character swap patch (http://www.f-ram.net/cavestory/e/CurlyPatch.html). Doesn't alter the game in any way except to replace one hero with another, but quite fun nonetheless.

Ok, started a new game and it is just as good as I remember. Just got the bubbler, can't wait to power it up. A few more fetch quests than I had recalled, but no matter, its fun just getting around. Have to decide what weapons I want.

I'm a horrible completist, so I have to not only get the Bubbler but also go back and get another helping of Jellyfish Juice just to have it on my item screen. =(

Well, I think the rub is that people re-playing the game for Fun Club are going to want to discuss the game in its entirety, while people playing it for the first time are going to want to avoid spoilers. So it's kind of a tough spot. If the veterans actively avoid spoilers, they aren't really discussing the game. And if the first-timers avoid the discussion for fear of spoilers, they aren't really participating in Fun Club.

Parish
10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
That is why god gave us spoiler text highlighting.

ringworm
10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Wow, am I glad my forum reading habits are to go to the bottom of a page and work backwards. Apparently Here There Be Spoilers.

spineshark
10-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Hahaha, mine as well.

Although, in this case, I was lucky enough to read the whole page (spoilers for things I don't understand at all just roll off of me), since I'm not sure I would've known about the mac port otherwise. Thanks djSyndrome!

So yeah, I'm playing for the first time, and I've just finished Egg Corridor. But I have other things I want to do tonight (which may or may not include Persona 3...) so I'll be back for more tomorrow.

djSyndrome
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Hahaha, mine as well.

Although, in this case, I was lucky enough to read the whole page (spoilers for things I don't understand at all just roll off of me), since I'm not sure I would've known about the mac port otherwise. Thanks djSyndrome!

So yeah, I'm playing for the first time, and I've just finished Egg Corridor. But I have other things I want to do tonight (which may or may not include Persona 3...) so I'll be back for more tomorrow.

I'm playing this for the first time as well. And I'm in love.

R^2
10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Good luck figuring out how to get through the Hard path on your own. It's a complete Guide Dang It (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.GuideDangIt).

What's the code for spoilers? open-bracket spoiler close-bracket hidden text open-bracket slash spoiler close-bracket is the obvious choice and doesn't work, there's not a button for it, and it's not listed in the boards help.

Mazian
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
What's the code for spoilers?
White text, [ color=white ] [ /color ] .

ringworm
10-30-2007, 10:23 PM
So yeah, I finished Grasslands and started up Sand Zone before calling it a night. This game is truly awesome.

Anyone else playing with a joypad? I'm glad I dug mine out for this, the controls are all floaty and loose in just the right proportions.

Kishi
10-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm glad the law has been laid down. It's integral to the effect of the game that your first time through it is totally blind. You''ll... You'll see.

Excitemike
10-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I tried playing this on my laptop last year and it was not happening. Happy to have someone remind me I should play this.

I love the controls. It's like a more fluid, side-scrolling Ice Hockey.

Parish
10-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Oh, for the record... I'm playing this on a GP2X. It's perfect on a handheld, although I'm annoyed that the action buttons are reversed and there's no option to make them un-sucky. I will die many times because of this.

Stiv
10-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Could Cave Story be the best freeware game ever made? MAYBE.

I've been meaning to do another playthrough lately so this is a good excuse, because all I honestly remember about the game is that it's brilliant at feeling wide-open while being extremely linear, and also the final parts of the SUPER SECRET HARD ENDING (sorry guys there is one, SPOILERS!) made me almost smash my monitor/keyboard/computer/Japan in frustration.

Protip: Don't even try for the super-secret ending the first two or three times you play the game, guys, if you know how to get it. If you don't know, then don't worry, because it's almost impossible to meet all the criteria for it.

Torgo
10-31-2007, 01:27 AM
This game is every shade of awesome on the planet, but the final boss is hell.

Merus
10-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Good luck figuring out how to get through the Hard path on your own. It's a complete Guide Dang It (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.GuideDangIt).

What's the code for spoilers? open-bracket spoiler close-bracket hidden text open-bracket slash spoiler close-bracket is the obvious choice and doesn't work, there's not a button for it, and it's not listed in the boards help.
I love how 'soup cans' and 'babel fish' have entered into game design lexicon.

For the uninitiated: a 'soup can' puzzle is a puzzle that doesn't fit into any kind of context - it's just there because they needed a puzzle. This goes beyond 'what kind of person would build a dungeon like this' and into 'okay, pushing the pots around to make a pattern has absolutely no relevance to the country's power grid, so doing one shouldn't have turned on the other'. Survival Horror is full of these.

A 'babel fish' puzzle is a puzzle that gets increasingly complex as a result of having appeared to solve it. For instance, say in Zelda you've got a block and a switch. Putting the block on the switch makes another block and switch appear, and so on and so forth as the blocks start getting in each other's way.

Brickroad
10-31-2007, 08:19 AM
This game is every shade of awesome on the planet, but the final level is hell.

Fixed this.

I mean really, there's a sign and everything.

I played about 95% of the game with my keyboard when it came out, getting to the final boss gauntlet before my skill plateaued. Then I invested in one of those SNES adaptor thingies and decimated what was left of the game.

I can't imagine playing this game without a joypad at this point.

Torgo
10-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Fixed this.

I mean really, there's a sign and everything.
[[[Granted, but I was engaging in some spoiler-free wordplay for the sake of our host. Anyway, the stage may be bad, but the boss is worse. I can't beat the thing. I gave up somewhere on it's fifteen form, I think. (Or fourth form maybe. I lost track.)]]]

q 3
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
I always wished the game had a boss rush mode. Maybe some enterprising hacker will make my dreams a reality someday.

Trick or treat! (http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/Mods/BossRush.zip)

Brickroad
10-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Trick or treat! (http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/Mods/BossRush.zip)

Oh man. Is it a bad thing that I'm considering faking an illness so I can get sent home from work to play that immediately?

R^2
10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Could Cave Story be the best freeware game ever made? MAYBE.

Next week's topic: Knytt Stories.

Whee: Even after you figure out how to do all the Hard path stuff, you still need to find all the stupid-secret items like the Lipstick, the Alien Badge, and Curly's underwear.

Jakanden
10-31-2007, 10:06 AM
I got bored of Knytt Stories (and Within a Deep Forest) after about an hour myself. Cave Story is infinitely better in my opinion.

Octopus Prime
10-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Man, Knytt is the kind of cud that Cave Story picks off its shoes.

If Cave Story was the patient on an episode of House, it would be having bloody effusions in the form of Knytt.

My point is that I like one a lot more then the other.

Tomm Guycot
10-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I enjoyed Knytt but it doesn't really compare (like, at all) to Cave Story.

Octopus Prime
10-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Alright, got the Bubble Gun (at lvl 3 it's so magical) and managed to beat Balrog again.

How does this game get the right to be so dang good?

Tomm Guycot
10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
How does this game get the right to be so dang good?

The Mega Man 2 principle.

Kishi
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Cave Story deserves its own principle.

Egarwaen
10-31-2007, 08:45 PM
The Mega Man 2 principle.

"Sawblades and robots made of wood don't mix"?

ArugulaZ
10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey, that's a spoiler!

SamuelMarston
10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
I love this game.

I've never beaten the hard mode boss.

Anyone played Pixel's other game, the one with the squid?

alexb
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Ikachan? Yeah. It's charming, but nowhere near as polished. And it's about an hour and a half long.

ringworm
10-31-2007, 10:08 PM
So I uh...beat the game? I guess that's what I get for being a selfish douche-bot.

Tomm Guycot
10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
"Sawblades and robots made of wood don't mix"?

"If people are working on a game purely because they want to and not because it's their job, the results will go down in history as a shining beacon of good gaming."

JCDenton
10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Ikachan is pretty fun, but it is less than an hour long and doesn't really reach the level of Cave Story. Worth a look if you like Pixel's stuff. Unfortunately my copy keeps crashing as I level up.

Ok, so keeping the machine gun makes the game way easier than I remember it being, in both platforming and combat. I'm right before the Final Cave and want to pick up a few more upgrades before finishing up. Hell will be, uh, hell without the Spur though.

I should mention this (http://kwix.shackspace.com/cavestory/home.htm) remix project, as a lot of people like the game's music. I'm not sure if this removes some of its charm (I don't think so, some people might) but it is worth checking out.

Mazian
10-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Rumor on the street is that development of the DS port has picked up speed again. I want to believe.

Brickroad
11-01-2007, 09:26 AM
"If people are working on a game purely because they want to and not because it's their job, the results will go down in history as a shining beacon of good gaming."

Well, that or Zoo Race.

Mr. Sensible
11-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I really wanted to play this, but apparently my PC hates Cave Story. After about five seconds in the first room, my comp just crashes/reboots. Tried with and without the English patch. Tried looking up troubleshooting info online. El zilch-o.

Fudge.

ringworm
11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
So I played until the "real" end last night. I didn't beat, what I assume, is the final boss. I made about 5 attempts at the whole thing.

Seriously, 3 bosses in a row without a save is rough work.

Unfortunately, as often happens, I didn't sleep very well last night since I played this right before bed and had pretty fitful dreams about Cave Story.

Brickroad
11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
*spoilery stuff*

--Yep, that's the precise moment I knew I had to get a decent gamepad.--

Gredlen
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I got through that part without a gamepad, but man. I sure wish I had one at the time.

Also,
El zilch-o.

Is it too late to change my superhero name?

JCDenton
11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I actually prefer the using a keyboard. Strange, I know. Makes weapon switching somewhat annoying, but on the whole I think offers more control.

Kishi
11-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Well, that or Zoo Race.

Truth. Enthusiasm alone isn't enough to turn out an excellent game. The people designing it need to be intelligent and clever, as well.

Violentvixen
11-01-2007, 04:38 PM
A couple people mentioned using the OSX version, so hopefully someone has a solution for this...

When I pressed Esc to pause the game, I got that "Esc to quit F1 to resume F2 to reset" screen. Unfortunately when I pressed F1 all it did was dim my screen since that's what is assigned to that button. So I had to quit and go back to my last save point. Is there a way to change resume to a button other than F1? Or another way to pause the game?

Parish
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Try pressing fn when you hit F1. The fn button lets the F keys perform application-based functions rather than their default hardware assignments.

ringworm
11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
So that was pretty awesome. I don't feel any inclination to play it again for super hard modes or whatever, but it was an extremely enjoyable (and free!) experience. I'm glad I finally had an excuse to play it.

I wanted to comment on it, but I forgot. The music in Plantation was fucking awesome.

spineshark
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Try pressing fn when you hit F1. The fn button lets the F keys perform application-based functions rather than their default hardware assignments.
Thanks. I ran into that problem once, but it was fortunately about ten seconds after I had saved.

alexb
11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
The music in Plantation was fucking awesome.

I like nearly every track in the game. I don't know what it is about this game, but it pushes so many little buttons for me. It makes me feel nostalgic and happy. I really can't say enough good things about the entire presentation of the game. Anything slicker would have somehow been less, I think.

Pixel was asked about his influences for this game, once, and he was coy about it. He said something along the lines that in playing it, it would become obvious what kinds of games he likes. What games do you see reflected in his work? As for me, there's obviously Metroid. But I also see a whole lot of the Wonder Boy series in it.

Brickroad
11-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Grasstown is probably my favorite music in the game. It's just such a fun track.

I downloaded the boss rush thing but couldn't get it to work. Oh well. I did find a few speed runs for it on Youtube though, which are really impressive.

R^2
11-02-2007, 08:47 AM
So that was pretty awesome. I don't feel any inclination to play it again for super hard modes or whatever, but it was an extremely enjoyable (and free!) experience.

Whee: The Hardpath nets you stuff that makes the game even more fun to play around with. One of the items you get is a jetpack that can launch you in any direction instead of just up, obsoleting flight by machine gun. If you know what you're doing you can also get better weapons (like the aforespoilered Spur).

MCBanjoMike
11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Re: Cave Story Music

Cave Story has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in an old-school videogame. My personal favorite tracks are On to Grasstown and Mischievous Robot (which plays the first time you enter the egg corridor). I downloaded the soundtrack and listen to it with embarrassing frequency. As I mentioned above, I also played around with the music making program that Pixel wrote himself to create the music for the game. It's a simple little program, but it's just mind-boggling what he manages to coax out of that thing.

Fun fact: The main theme (Plantation) was apparently the first thing that was done for the game - Pixel created that piece and everything else came after it.

Strange thing, mystifying: I've noticed that the music sounds different on my home PC than it does on any other computer that I've tried playing the game on. All the instruments are composed of short loops that are repeated over and over again, simply pitching the samples up and down to create new notes. This also changes the length of the sample, so higher notes require the same sample to be repeated more often than low notes. For some reason, I can hear this on my computer (but not on anyone else's), and it adds a grittiness to the sound which I actually find quite charming. I'll have to put some audio samples up somewhere to show what I'm talking about. Anyone else get the "chunky" version of the soundtrack?

Egarwaen
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow.

That was a really well-done game. I'm not actually very good at platformers, and while there were some bits that I had a really hard time with (the cave leading up to the final bosses in particular), I never really got frustrated or ran into something that seemed outright unfair. There were a few places where it felt like there was too much of a gap between a tough boss and the next recharge, but not many.

What really amazed me was the game design. Everything, from the graphics to the level design to the story presentation, felt like the NES and SNES games I'd grown up playing, but infinitely more polished. The characters have reams of personality, even if they only have a couple dozen lines of text each, and the story's very engaging.

I totally need to replay and get the Hard path with the Spur.

Tomm Guycot
11-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Did anyone point out where to get the soundtrack? Maybe I missed it...

Where do I get the soundtrack?

Parish
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think they sell a copy! But it is here (http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3401).

ringworm
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
The version I downloaded had it in a folder called Cave Story Soundtrack or something under the Cave Story directory in Program Files.

Balrog
11-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Soundtrack (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/music.php)

or you can download the standalone player (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/) look under music then 2002.

Kishi
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
OrganyaView, the program Pixel made to showcase the soundtrack, is under row 2004, column Music, here (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/storehouse.html). The English translation patch of the game here (http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=cavestory) also includes a translation of OrganyaView.

But that's just how we rolled in 2004. Now that mp3s of all the tracks are readily (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/music.php) available (http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3401), you'll probably just want to go that route.

Ruik
11-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I know I've played this before, but I don't think I beat it. Sounds like a good excuse to start a new game.

poetfox
11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
After following the thread and listening to come of the music, I got my PSP out and picked it up again... and finally beat the damn boss that discouraged me last time. Huzzah! I'm excited to get back going with this.

Merus
11-03-2007, 09:36 AM
After having this sit on my computer for about a year, I've finally started it, and made it to the tunnel boss in the Labyrinth where he kicked my ass. I got the Machine Gun, as well. Hooray for the Machine Gun.

I like how subtle the storytelling can get. I mean, sure, it spells out what's going on, but there's a couple of places where you learn things ahead of the main plot if you pay attention - there's a boss in the Grassland where you get jumped by an enraged - I think they're Mimiki? - that has some red flowers in the same room, and in the Labyrinth you get jumped by a dark, incorporeal version of Balrog in a room that you're told is dangerous because it's haunted, so I'm pretty sure Balrog's dead now.

I was initially going to say something about the powerup system being a little too easy, and wanting to see it expanded, but now that I lose half a level every time I get hit and there's two or three bosses every map, it's just fine.

I am slightly annoyed at the Machine Gun's floaty shots at max level - I had a similar idea, independent of this, so now if I do it it'll look like I was copying Cave Story. Of course, the idea for the game in which I was going to implement it had its main character designed five days before Blizzard announced Ghost with a similar character with the same name, so, uh, I guess I'm not as original as I thought.

There are a couple of places where I really have to ask how you're supposed to do it without the Machine Gun. There's one trap in the Labyrinth where there's a descending block that you have to get on top of by jumping out from under the block over an instant-death spike trap, floating above it while the block finishes falling, then falling on the block. That would be nuts without the ability to float.

Classic
11-03-2007, 12:32 PM
It seems impossible, but is very doable, even without any particular platforming talent or a joypad, as I can attest and am willing to prove again.

Torgo
11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Is there a walkthrough that lists very simply the essential points in the game to unlock the secret stage? I don't need one of the entire game, which is all I can find. I just want a list of those points and what needs to be done.

Brickroad
11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Is there a walkthrough that lists very simply the essential points in the game to unlock the secret stage? I don't need one of the entire game, which is all I can find. I just want a list of those points and what needs to be done.

Happy to oblige. SPOILER TIME!

--Step one: when you see Dr. Booster teleport in and fall in front of you in the Labyrinth, LEAVE HIM THERE. You can machinegun over the gap or clear it with a well-placed jump. Save beforehand and re-load if you don't clear the jump. He'll show up later and give you Booster v2.0, which is better than what you'd have gotten had you talked to him right away.

Step two: In the room with the Core, find the Tow Rope before the battle. It's a sparkly thing in one of the corners of the map. After you beat the Core and Curly gives you her oxygen tank, attach her to you with the Tow Rope. This way you don't have to abandon her there.

Step three: There's a little room partway through the Waterway with a bed and a bookshelf. Get in there and examine everything to learn how to drain the water out of Curly. Drain the water out and re-attach Curly before you leave. You'll know you did it right if the bookshelf says something like "Good luck."

Step four: There's a door labeled with a clock in the Outer Wall. Inside is a locked treasure box which, if you've done everything correctly, will be unlocked. Inside is a clock. Take it.

Step five: There's a subquest later in the Plantation in involving Curly's memory. You need a magic mushroom which grows in the Mimiga graveyard. Save before you get it, I'm not sure if the game will let you screw it up, but just in case.

Step six: After killing the Undead Core, on your way to the helicopter, take a detour into the little house. If you have the Booster v2.0 and have rescued Curly, the path into Hell will be open. Get really really good at the Misery/Doctor/Undead Core boss gauntlet, though -- you'll want full missiles, health and a Life Pot before you go in.--

I think that's everything. Good luck.

Merus
11-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm up to the final boss gauntlet for the first time, dying on the third boss. This is mostly because I could have handled Misery better, and partly because I'm not entirely sure how to go about taking down the innumerable bats he spawns.

I do wonder about the the passage to the side of the plantation that has the various owners of the crowns and the guy there that says nothing. I have no idea what it is for, other than backstory, I guess.

Kishi
11-03-2007, 02:11 PM
If you look closely at the guy, you'll see that he's holding a sculpting tool; he made those statues. And the room does have a bit more to offer once you get into the secret stuff.

SPOILER TIME!

Step Four is actually optional, although there's no reason why you wouldn't want to do it. I'm just sayin'.

SlimJimm
11-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Much like ersatz my computer also crashes once you take control of the character.

There are no solutions in troubleshooting, anyone have any ideas?

R^2
11-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Re: Brickroad Spoilers:

During step one, you don't want to fall or you can't get out without taking the crappy booster. Thankfully, getting across is easy to do without the Machine Gun (because you really really want the Spur in Hell). There's a red mark on the floor of the left platform. Get a running start and jump when you hit that red mark. It's the perfect place to get to the right platform without any assist to your leap. Then complete the rest of the Labirynth without the Booster and you get the better one as soon as you're done.

spineshark
11-03-2007, 03:04 PM
I am slightly annoyed at the Machine Gun's floaty shots at max level - I had a similar idea, independent of this, so now if I do it it'll look like I was copying Cave Story. Of course, the idea for the game in which I was going to implement it had its main character designed five days before Blizzard announced Ghost with a similar character with the same name, so, uh, I guess I'm not as original as I thought.
Or you're more original than you thought!

I personally came up with some ideas for a game, that I found out only weeks later were already in Shadow of the Colossus and Lufia.

Tomm Guycot
11-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Stop it guys, you're making me want to play Cave Story.

Torgo
11-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the rundown, Brickroad. I actually remembered more of it then I thought.

R^2: [[[So I can understand how the Spur would have a strong advantage in Hell, but what about the final boss? I mean, crap, weapons de-leveling isn't too much of a worry against him since, if I recall, his attacks are either not worth worrying about (with chances to recover) or GRAHHHHH CRUSHING INSTADEATH.]]]

R^2
11-03-2007, 04:44 PM
IIRC, two fully-charged Spur shots will destroy his second form, or whichever phase it is after he transforms into the globe and you have to jump up and shoot him in the eyes or lose the shot to his armor plating.

I don't remember him having any insta-death attacks.

Torgo
11-03-2007, 04:48 PM
[[[As you mentioned, I was referring to his larger forms simply crushing you. More often then not this is how I die against him.]]]

JCDenton
11-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Spur: So much damage against the final boss. I'm really worried about attempting it with just the machine gun.

Question: What is the purpose of the clock room? I can't seem to unlock the chest. Brickroad said take the hard path with all it entails, which I've done, but it remains locked. I thought maybe it was time based (the clock indicates 9:00), but that didn't work either. Any hints?

Kishi
11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I've heard that you have to reach the "clock chest" in a certain amount of time from beginning the game in order to be able to gather its contents. If you can't open it, that's probably the issue.

But all the item does is time you throughout the final section of the game. It was incorporated for superplay freaks and isn't necessary for the rest of us, who would be happy just to get through it alive.

Zodar
11-03-2007, 06:49 PM
one of the crowning achievements of my life was beating the super-secret final boss without using the life pot

the fact that something i did in a video game is a crowning achievement of my life should be a testament to how good cave story is

or how big a loser i am, either way

also, http://pub.tenkuu.net/ has some truly great cs fanart that really captures the style of the game (under "images"), such as
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9126/doukutsudamacyoe5.jpg

and part of what i love about cave story is how it sets up an entire world in the caverns of the island, rather than just feeling like another platformer videogame with everything all evenly distributed. take the knife-wielding bear man in the graveyard, for example- he's somewhat hard to kill, and there's only one of him, but he's got no significance to the plot! he's there for his own reasons (which i doubt we want to know), not for the game's.

gamin
11-04-2007, 01:00 AM
I wasn't going to just start playing this again for the Fun Club after getting fed up with Hell, but reading this thread makes me want to come back (and maybe just start a new game on the easy path).

I played Cave Story on a whim over a year ago, not expecting much since my previous experiences with one man productions were the occasional RPG Maker game.

Cave Story reminded me why I love video games. Its incredible polish and attention to difficulty, story, graphics and music grabbed me in a way that very few other games since have been able to. In most all aspects it strikes me as the perfect gold standard by which any and all platformers/shooters must aspire to.

Paul le Fou
11-04-2007, 01:12 AM
The Cave Story EX package I downloaded came with the full soundtrack and a bunch of fanart among other things... but I'm pretty sure it included Balrog bukkake, so I'm scared to dig any of it up.

God I wish I were kidding.

I don't think I ever beat it the first time through, the final boss gauntlet proved too much for me. Maybe I'll go through again and skip the machine gun. Is Spur a different weapon you get from the original gun or is the "secret weapon" actually just the highest upgraded form of the original? I can't remember details, it's been quite some time since my first go at the game.

Merus
11-04-2007, 02:34 AM
More thoughts:

I love how after the Labyrinth, and defeating the Core, all of the enemies are the easier ones from the Grassland. That's a nice little touch right there.

The story's surprisingly brutal, I'm shocked how, well, shocked I am at the characters they've killed off. Even though I know that one character is only killed off because I'm doing the easy route, but nevermind.

liquid
11-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Having gotten to the point where I can pretty much get through the hard path with ease, I'm replaying the game using the Machine Gun. It's actually making the game much more difficult for me! The ability to float above your enemies is delightful, but being shoved down when I try to attack someone above me is really screwing me up. It's going to be interesting doing some of the endgame stuff like this.

poetfox
11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm in the part where you have the little girl robot running around with you... that's pretty rad. She's actually decently useful which is nice. I got to the sometimes underwater boss before I decided to call it a night.

ArugulaZ
11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
The Cave Story EX package I downloaded came with the full soundtrack and a bunch of fanart among other things... but I'm pretty sure it included Balrog bukkake, so I'm scared to dig any of it up.

God I wish I were kidding.

Great, suitcase porn. Next thing you know they're going to start making porn featuring that cube from Portal.

"You did it faster than any of our other test subjects. Congratulations!"

poetfox
11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Great, suitcase porn. Next thing you know they're going to start making porn featuring that cube from Portal.

"You did it faster than any of our other test subjects. Congratulations!"
...Already been done. Like... 2 days after the orange box came out. I'd prove it, but then I'd be showing the damn picture. Also, Cave Story. We should talk about that.
Anyway, never underestimate the power of the internet to create insane frightening crap.

MCBanjoMike
11-04-2007, 11:39 AM
All this love for the Spur, but what about the Snake? It's a surprisingly capable weapon, and in my opinion, the one that makes it the easiest to get through the secret stage. Also somewhat useful against the secret stage boss, because it can shoot through walls. Try it and see!

If I recall correctly, the only weapon that I haven't tried in the secret area is the machine gun. Wonder how it holds up?

Brickroad
11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
If I recall correctly, the only weapon that I haven't tried in the secret area is the machine gun. Wonder how it holds up?

Really, all three of the upgraded Polar Star weapons are great, and there are no bad decisions.

Machinegun is great because it serves as a poor man's booster, and you get it really early.

Spur is a bosskiller plain and simple. Also you don't ever have to worry about it leveling down.

Snake is a great all-purpose weapon, and I've seen it picked a lot for Hell speed runs since it shoots through walls (very useful) and because it enables you to finish the game with only three weapons (so you can switch from any gun to any other with one button press).

Mightyblue
11-04-2007, 02:20 PM
What about the Nemesis? I've heard a lot about that one, but I've never actually gotten it myself.

R^2
11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
It's great at level one, but you'll find yourself running from powerups wherever they might appear. Even one will increase it to level two, which drastically cuts its power. Level three shoots little rubber duckies that do one damage each.

I've gotten it but never used it, since the Spur basically obsoletes the Sword anyway. Curly uses it when you find her in Hell, to much better effect than you ever could.

q 3
11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
The Nemesis is very handy, especially in Hell and especially if you don't have the Spur. It's probably the most effective weapon against Heavy Press, as you can shoot upwards rapidly and do double damage thanks to Curly's own Nemesis, all without wasting any missiles.

I'll also second the praise for the Snake. Not only is it essential for Hell speedruns, it's great against the Core (1st time) and makes those annoying lines of deathtraps in the Final Cave completely harmless.

djSyndrome
11-05-2007, 08:58 AM
So, I'm really enjoying this! I'm playing it on Leopard with a PS3 controller (X to jump, Square to fire, L1 and R1 to swap weapons), and it's working rather well.

I'm at the dog-fetch portion right now, and judging by some of your comments, I'm nowhere near the end of the game. I did trade for the Machine Gun, but I'm also horribly addicted to the rocket launcher ^.^

Makkara
11-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm at the dog-fetch portion right now, and judging by some of your comments, I'm nowhere near the end of the game. I did trade for the Machine Gun, but I'm also horribly addicted to the rocket launcher ^.^

About halfway, I'd say. Don't worry about picking the Machine Gun, it's a great choice for your first playthrough.

Violentvixen
11-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I've been stuck on the battle with the two dragons on the second pass through Egg Corridor since Friday. By the time I get there from the beginning of the stage I've taken a couple hits, so that usually gives me three hits to take during the entire battle. I manage to hit them in the mouths a few times, but then they both stop and start spitting at the same time and I never manage to avoid getting hit. GAH! Anyone have any tips for this battle?

JCDenton
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I've been stuck on the battle with the two dragons on the second pass through Egg Corridor since Friday. By the time I get there from the beginning of the stage I've taken a couple hits, so that usually gives me three hits to take during the entire battle. I manage to hit them in the mouths a few times, but then they both stop and start spitting at the same time and I never manage to avoid getting hit. GAH! Anyone have any tips for this battle?

This one can be a bit tough. I use level 3 super rockets, which do a fair amount of damage. When they both start spitting them, try to get a hit in early and then dodge up with the machine gun or jet pack. Do this a couple of times and they'll stop circling and go back to the easier first pattern. Other than that, try to have full health going in. Take the Destroyed Egg Corridor slowly.

q 3
11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone have any tips for this battle?

You can actually skip that battle. Ignore the chest and exit through the hole that looks like the one you came in through. All you miss out on is the missile upgrade. (You can always come back later with a few more heart upgrades and/or the Nemesis and stomp them, if you want.)

Violentvixen
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh, wow, I didn't realize that. I'd already beaten them (I accidentally switched to the level three blade and used it, and um, well it works REALLY well for getting rid of lots of fireballs and hits them pretty hard), but interesting to know for next time.

Merus
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I pulled out the machine gun, and hit each one in the face when it opened its mouth as soon as I could. That seemed to stop the fireballs, although honestly I could have just done one as the other one fireballs the bottom of the platform the fight starts on.

cartman414
11-07-2007, 01:04 AM
The music in the egg laboratory reminds me of "Mr. Brightside" by the Killers.

Parish
11-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I totally traded for the machine gun last night, just because someone told me not to. So there.

The Bubbler is amazing but I have a tendency to lose track of my little dude when I'm generating bubbles and keep leaping into pits by mistake. Also, I'm sort of annoyed that a single touch from any bad guy knocks it down from its max level.

Lumber Baron
11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
The knife is the exact same way. Until I got the spur it was really my weapon of choice, but that one-hit deleveling did sometimes put a damper on things, especially after a couple hits which seems to actually require a bit of concentrated leveling before you're at full strength again.

So I'm at the final boss in the hard route, and I'm convinced I don't have enough life. I'm chugging along at 38HP (after you pick up the hell only life container, and tend to die before Ballos can do much in his second form. I'm honestly wondering if replaying the game over at this point will actually take less time than beating it in my current condition

MCBanjoMike
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Do you still have your Life Pot? Because that's going to be way more important than the 10 or so HP that you're missing. If you used it up earlier, then you really might want to restart. But that's OK, try getting some other weapons!

Also, don't forget that it's totally possible to beat that boss without ever taking a hit. I couldn't do it to save my life, but various people on YouTube have.

Lumber Baron
11-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Those "people" on YouTube are robots. Robots without souls. And without senses of humor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDZdztU7yJk).

And I still have my Life Pot. I know better than to use those sort of items before the final battle. Which actually did me a disservice, since you can get another one from the dog right before the final cave, which means I could have used it against the Core. I guess I'm just as cheap in video games as I am in life.

Brickroad
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM
The spoilerything is the exact same way.

Actually, I find that weapon's L2 attack to be better than the L3 version since you can rapid fire it. Still, there's only one boss I use it against due to its short range.

Whenever I plop down just to burn through the game (which I've done a few times this past week) I usually just stick with the Machinegun.

Egarwaen
11-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Actually, I find that weapon's L2 attack to be better than the L3 version since you can rapid fire it. Still, there's only one boss I use it against due to its short range.

I found it was really disgustingly good against the Undead Core. You can basically stand right in front of the eye on the floating sub-Cores and then unleash impressive amounts of damage and immediately dodge.

Zen
11-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Its second level is the single fastest way of dealing damage in the game.

Egarwaen
11-10-2007, 08:48 AM
The Final Cave on hard mode is... Interesting.

JCDenton
11-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I had forgotten how much it changes when you have the L2 Booster. It is way harder, but better for it.

Parish
11-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I think I'm right at the end of the game, but I'm not sure. It's three boss battles in a row, for whatever that's worth. The first one humbled me over and over, but I finally beat it with about 15 HP left... then proceeded to win the next two on my first try.

Then the game crashed. NOOOOOO

Anyway, it's been fun so far, although I'm surprised that it was so linear until after the reservoir, at which point it opened up a bit more... but subtly, and for sidequests that might not be immediately obvious.

Egarwaen
11-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I had forgotten how much it changes when you have the L2 Booster. It is way harder, but better for it.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh. I just managed to get through it perfectly until the Red Demon, who I owned with about half life left... Then I got nailed by the Thwomps, at the bit where you have to hop over the lava.

Paul le Fou
11-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I just got to the end of the game for my second playthrough (ever, the first was like over a year ago). I went for the Snake this time, and got the Nemesis, and booster 2.0... and got to the final cave and jeeeeeeeesus christ. I think it's gonna take me a while to work my way through this one.

Parish
11-11-2007, 11:14 PM
So, I won. Tough as some of the final portions were, I shudder to imagine what the secret extra cave must be like.

I shall find out someday! But for now, Cave Story has mostly fueled my desire to make The Venture a reality.

Falselogic
11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Cave Story has mostly fueled my desire to make The Venture a reality.

and what is The Venture for those of us who don't know...?

Please don't hurt me! I'm Nice!

Scud
11-11-2007, 11:56 PM
All your high praises and talkings have convinced me to join in on the fun! ANOTHER forum to troll, curses!

Tis a good forum though.

The Venture, I suspect, is the desire to create a sidescrolling Metroidvania style game that some months ago he asked for talented peoples for....daring to think about the possibility of maybe attempting to live the dream or some parts of said dream.

dosboot
11-12-2007, 12:00 AM
And what we know so far: One (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/entry_372.php#comm) and two (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/entry_378.php#comm).

Lumber Baron
11-12-2007, 12:21 AM
This game is probably the most ego-inflating when it comes to gaming prowess. I've never been much to get really good at a video game, and don't go for huge challenges most of the time. Seeing people talk about how tough a game was that I've already beaten is something new to me.

Then again, I still haven't beaten Ballos. Damn magic dog, why don't you give me something magical to help me kill your master!?

Falselogic
11-12-2007, 01:05 AM
And what we know so far: One (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/entry_372.php#comm) and two (http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/entry_378.php#comm).

Thanks for the update, so Jeremy is there progress on the Venture?

Or must we never mention it in your presence? :P

Egarwaen
11-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I just got to the end of the game for my second playthrough (ever, the first was like over a year ago). I went for the Snake this time, and got the Nemesis, and booster 2.0... and got to the final cave and jeeeeeeeesus christ. I think it's gonna take me a while to work my way through this one.

The Hidden Final Cave isn't as hard as it looks. There's a few tough bits, but the Booster 2.0 makes most of it pretty easy. Then again, I went through with the Spur, so I didn't have to worry about power-ups.

Hell, on the other hand... Hell is evil.

Parish
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Latest progress on The Venture:

Thumbed through a backstory timeline I wrote up a few years ago. Looked at some character sketches. Sat and stared at a blank page, hoping to refine old raw ideas into new refined ideas. Went to sleep an hour later. Page was still blank.

Paul le Fou
11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
The Hidden Final Cave isn't as hard as it looks. There's a few tough bits, but the Booster 2.0 makes most of it pretty easy. Then again, I went through with the Spur, so I didn't have to worry about power-ups.

Hell, on the other hand... Hell is evil.

I poked at it a little bit and took a break. The maneuverability wasn't too bad, tricky but definitely doable, it'll just take some very cautious testing of the waters and some tricky timing. The weapons/enemies weren't that bad (yet), because the monsters I'd fought so far hadn't proven to be too tricky. But the combination thereof, and probably a little of my own freaking out, made it tricky.

I might try it again, or I might even go back and replay from the beginning to get the spur (I was surprised how quickly I made it through this second playthrough, and with little memory of the details from my first go at it) - I like the idea of the Snake, but starting it at level one and losing so much exp per hit (Duh moment - do I have to re-equip the Arms Barrier or anything?) make it far less useful, stuck at level one, than I'd have liked. I think I'll try playing around with the Nemesis first, though.

Parish
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Anyway! Onward and upward to Mario.