PDA

View Full Version : November RPG: Final Fantasy III

Parish
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Portability is the key to happiness, and I still need to go back and finish the portable version of FFIII. (They took away my review ROM while I was two rooms away from the final boss! Bastards.) This way we can also trade those Moogle mail codes or whatever. Yeah.

Final Fantasy III
Square (Square Enix) | Famicom/DS | RPG | 1990/2006

You can also play the 8-bit version... but why would you want to?

(Betting pool bonus: How many posts before Arkfullofsorrow comments on how this is the best RPG ever, while simultaneously insulting everyone else in the thread?)

djSyndrome
11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
You can also play the 8-bit version... but why would you want to?

Because it's not incredibly slow and broken like the DS version is?

reibeatall
11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I got this for my birthday a year ago, and I only played a little bit of it. This will make me start playing it again, but I probably won't finish it.

Excitemike
11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I love the fun club for hitting all the RPG's I haven't finished. Here's hoping for FFXII.

Swordian
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
This has been sitting in my backlog. I guess I will pop it in after I finish PW3 this weekend.

Gredlen
11-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Now I feel all special for suggesting it. Anyway, my friend code for this game is 1633 2388 8772. Same as the price of a cheese pizza and large soda back where I used to work.

reibeatall
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
You used to work at Panuchi's Pizza?

Mazian
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Excellent. I too have been meaning to get back to this -- and having just cleared out a stratum in Etrian Odyssey, now's a good time to swap back for a bit. (EO2 needs Geomancers.)

If you need someone to send gimmicky in-game mail to, feel free to add 296454 884071. Let me know if you do, or I probably won't notice for a while.

Gredlen
11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I've added you, but I can't send any mail until you add me. Damn friend codes.

Coinspinner
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Damn, I need to finish FFL2 more quickly now.

Anonymooo
11-02-2007, 03:46 PM
This game is not afraid to murder you right as soon as you get out of the first dungeon. Random-ass really powerful skeletons are keeping me at bay, especially with me having to run away every other encounter.

Eusis
11-02-2007, 04:16 PM
This works, hopefully I actually stick to it! I'm at Amur, kinda put down the game around then and gave into temptation and started up FFV. However, it's been awhile since I played that so maybe it's safe to jump back to III.

Octopus Prime
11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm at the final dungeon, but can't beat any of the bosses in it because they're so crazy-powerful.

So instead, I'm going to pretend I DID beat it.

The ending is good.

admozan
11-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I finished the game this morning, actually. I started playing it the day after Christmas last year and promptly ignored it until a couple of weeks ago. Even the final boss was a pushover at Level 62. (I entered the last dungeon at 60.)

I have zero interest in grinding 30 more levels to take on the hidden boss monster, though.

Zef
11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Ak. I hadn't counted on the DS Lite resetting the WiFi features I had saved during my DS Phat playthrough. Anyway, Mazian still shows up as a registered Friend, but nobody else on my list does. I added Gredlen, though.

My (new) Friend Code is 5412 8104 6522.

Tip: When you leave Canaan for Dragon's Peak, grind for Gil so you can afford at least two dozen Gold Needles. The nasties in the mountain are very likely to petrify you in one hit. For best results, don't use the Overworld, but go back to the Mythril Mines and slaughter skeletons.

There's plenty more hints for the second half of the game, too. I love how non-linear it is; it's similar to the original FF, as it gives you access to optional dungeons and towns that you can visit and exploit before getting to the actual story-related locations.

Mazian
11-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Ak. I hadn't counted on the DS Lite resetting the WiFi features I had saved during my DS Phat playthrough.
Friends lists are tied to a combination of specific cartridge and DS. It's probably a little too late now, but you can move (not copy) the DS part of the identification between two systems if you have both available at once - start the receiving DS in download play mode; then on the sending DS, go to the WFC Setup in any wireless-enabled game and choose "Options", then "Transfer Nintendo WFC Configuration".

Anyhow, back to the game. Having put it down for a few months, now I've forgotten what to do next. Time to wander the world with my airship until I find something that looks like plot.

Paul le Fou
11-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Dammit, I just played it this summer. I didn't finish it, but I'm near the end I think? I just got the last set of jobs, and when I realized that I'd have to re-grind for some time to get my main character as a black belt to be nearly as powerful as my level 40some monk, I sort of just got tired.

Sapper Gopher
11-03-2007, 12:13 AM
So, the ultimate job weapons: first of all, mother^%*&*(@ whoever thought of making the mail system a requirement for getting them. Second of all, let me make sure I understand how the mognet think works: If two people exchange friend codes and register each other, one of them can send mail anytime they're connected to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, right? The manual makes it sound like email, where the message is stored on a server until the intended recipient checks for mail (or until it gets deleted).

Anyways, my friend code is 3351 1944 7964.

Gredlen
11-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I have sent Mazian mail! Success!
I tried adding you, Zef, but it says there's an error with the friend code.
I've added Sapper Gopher, though. It does seem that the message is stored somewhere until the recipient checks their mail.

Mendou
11-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Mmm... Even though I bought it at release, I'm still trying to finish the DS version. I've gotten toward the end of the game for the third time now (meaning I've lost interest twice and started a new file after long periods of not playing). I'm further along this time, almost ready to head to the final area.

I dunno, I guess the combination of every job being pretty viable plus the lack of carry-over benefits (ala FFV) for leveling anything... just saps my motivation. I think adjusting the latter would have been straying too far from the original, so I guess I'm saying I would have liked a job progression more like the Famicom version. Maybe I just hate freedom.

Sapper Gopher
11-03-2007, 02:37 AM
I've added Sapper Gopher, though.

Thanks, I'll add you to my list when I get a chance to go to a hotspot.

Now that we can use mognet, we can use it to exchange advice, comment on what we like and dislike, debate which jobs are the best, bitch about especially hard bosses, or discuss any other aspect of the game. All at long distance. Brilliant feature!

Sami
11-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Yep, the messages are stored on a server, at least temporarily, it's not a direct connection.

Some of the error messages could be due to different region games. For whatever strange reason, Square Enix decided to regionlock the Mognet.

By the way, writing long messages on Mognet is incredibly tedious thanks to the horribly misplaced space button.

Red Hedgehog
11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Given I'm right at the end of this game, I expect this week's fun club to not take me much time.

Zef
11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I tried adding you, Zef, but it says there's an error with the friend code.
Ergh, typo; I've corrected the friend code in the post above. Sorry 'bout that :P Also, added Sapper Gopher and re-added Mazian (wouldn't let me send mail even though the FC was still registered?)

Gredlen
11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
By the way, writing long messages on Mognet is incredibly tedious thanks to the horribly misplaced space button.

Seriously. The DS is capable of pretty decent text input, but only if the interface isn't screwed up. The numbers need to get replaced by the more common symbols and the space button.

I keep my network security on WPA, but when I get back from work tonight, I'll change it to WEP again and add you, Zef. Then it can be the Mailing Time.

Alex Scott
11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I beat the game a few months ago, and I don't plan on starting it again any time soon. But since everyone's posting friend codes, I figure I could use this opportunity to unlock some of the extras. My code is 094575096978. I've already added everybody else in this thread.

Daremo
11-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I will add you guys and help in the getting of stuff that is extra :)

Alixsar
11-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I bought that game back when it first came out. I don't know, the DS version is pretty borked. It was fun for a while, but I ended up getting in this situation: I just unlocked the "best" jobs, but they were at a low level and I was about to go into the final dungeon. So, I could either use the super high level classes I had been using since the beginning which made the game a cake-a-walka, or use the "best" jobs which were so horribly gimped that I didn't stand a chance. Also, the whole "it's-new-school-but-we're-gonna-try-and-make-it-old-school-by-making-it-'hard'-
but-its-not-really-hard-there-are-just-no-save-points-and-lots-of-encounters" approach wasn't really that great. And the idea of adding an actual story to FFIII was a sound idea, but it's execution was horrible. There's a "new" story for maybe the first three hours, and then it's exactly like the original. Which is supposed to be cool, I guess, but instead I couldn't help but wonder why they even bothered. If you're going to update a game, update the whole damn thing.

So yeah, it was dumb. The NES (Famicom, whatever) version is fun as hell though, as long as you can tolerate an NES level of difficulty (translation: it's hard, and really cheap at times), and NES quality graphics and mechanics.

Egarwaen
11-04-2007, 03:26 PM
So, I could either use the super high level classes I had been using since the beginning which made the game a cake-a-walka, or use the "best" jobs which were so horribly gimped that I didn't stand a chance.

I'd heard about this, but it wasn't actually a problem for me. I needed to grind a bit to survive the final area, so I switched jobs around before I started and did a bit of job grinding while I levelled. The new jobs wound up being at least as good as the old ones.

Gredlen
11-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm not entirely sure where to go now that I've used the Chain Key. I suppose this isn't really a problem yet, as I'm definitely content with flying around the world and finding places to go.
I walked past some statues, but that ended up killing me. Then I found a cave with some enemy that multiplies before I can kill it and does enough damage that I think I should perhaps not be there yet. So I ran. I ran so far away.

Zef
11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm not entirely sure where to go now that I've used the Chain Key. I suppose this isn't really a problem yet, as I'm definitely content with flying around the world and finding places to go.
I walked past some statues, but that ended up killing me. Then I found a cave with some enemy that multiplies before I can kill it and does enough damage that I think I should perhaps not be there yet. So I ran. I ran so far away.

If you've used the Chain Key, it means you've beaten that Mansion and its boss. The story dictates that you go and fly over that giant city in the northwest, but don't do that yet! Make sure you've visited every place you can get to, because you won't be going anywhere for a while once you head for that city. Also, it's time to keep a separate save on the World Map just in case.

The statues are story related --you won't want to go near till you have four special Key Items (you should probably have one or two already?) and the ability to fly over mountains. Likewise, you deal with the splitting enemies by killing them with Dark Blades, but you won't come across them until very late in the game. A shame, since Dark Knights excel with those blades.

As for the new jobs being underpowered, I just used them for my endgame grinding and brought them up to speed quickly enough. Still, I preferred my awesome Geomancer Refia over any other character/Job combination, but now I'm grinding her as a Summoner for the optional bosses.

Gredlen
11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
If you've used the Chain Key, it means you've beaten that Mansion and its boss. The story dictates that you go and fly over that giant city in the northwest, but don't do that yet!

Haha, I actually did that two or three times, but I guess I didn't find the trigger point. Lucky me.

I figured the statues were story-related and that I'd had part of what I needed to progress, since I got past the first two sets. I'm guessing the fangs are what did it. I will keep a backup save as you have suggested.

Alex Scott
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I must have sent more messages than I thought, because I just got the Onion Knight class. Nifty.

arkfullofsorrow
11-05-2007, 03:53 AM
(Betting pool bonus: How many posts before Arkfullofsorrow comments on how this is the best RPG ever, while simultaneously insulting everyone else in the thread?)

Damn, I didn't even see this until 33 posts in. I'm losin' it! Or not spending enough time at the site or the forum! I Suppose I'll bottle my vitriol and release it in totally unhealthy quantities.

And no way is FFIII the best RPG ever. Top 100 RPG material, sure. Rather, my irrationally positive feelings toward the game are such for the same reasons my feelings are irrationally negative toward Chrono Trigger: memories. Kinda hard to understand without being me and all.

MCBanjoMike
11-05-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm always amazed that this game does something so wrong that FF IV did so right: the rate of level advancement. There were a number of spots in III where I'd hit the next important dungeon only to find myself being slaughtered by its residents. Then I'd have to spend up to 3 or 4 hours grinding, which is particularly painful given the slowness of everything in the DS version. In contrast, during most of IV the random encounters bring in enough experience that you never find yourself too far behind when tougher monsters rear their ugly heads.

Particularly egregious is the final dungeon, where the very last boss is about twice as hard as any previous encounter you've had. Two or three times I invested the hour or two necessary to get to the end of the dungeon only to get mauled at the last encounter (despite crushing various sub-bosses) - then I'd have to go back and grind some more until I was sick of that and tried again. I'm all for making RPGs challenging, but putting a super-tough boss at the end of a really long dungeon with no save points is not the way.

wumpwoast
11-05-2007, 08:32 AM
So Red Hedgehog and I have been playing FFIII for the last couple months, him on DS and me on the 8-bit. I beat the game a couple of years ago, so I feel pretty comfortable in knowing the ins and outs.

All I'll say is if you stock on status-recovery items appropriately, know your classes and abilities really well and aren't afraid to try different things (an Archer for Hyne, Geomancers for certain underwater cave areas), you will never have to grind. The game is hard, and you absolutely have to optimize your strategy (weapons AND party-classes) knowing your enemies now and a little ways ahead of time, but it can be done.

The other thing about my second playthrough is I can see now how the game's not any fun outside of battles and pushing yourself into places you think you can't win yet but can if you're sharp.

djSyndrome
11-05-2007, 08:45 AM
It took me two years to finish this game (on an AV Famicom, so no save states). I would pick it up for a month, get frustrated, and put it down again. I think I spent the entire summer of 2002 working on the final dungeon.

MCBanjoMike
11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
All I'll say is if you stock on status-recovery items appropriately, know your classes and abilities really well and aren't afraid to try different things (an Archer for Hyne, Geomancers for certain underwater cave areas), you will never have to grind. The game is hard, and you absolutely have to optimize your strategy (weapons AND party-classes) knowing your enemies now and a little ways ahead of time, but it can be done.

So wait, you have to know what's coming up before you get there? That would mean that you could only play the game without grinding if you've either played it before, or if you use a guide the whole time. Sorry, but that rubs me the wrong way.

[Vague spoilers follow]

My biggest problem was that I was able to make it to the last dungeon at level 50...but couldn't complete it until I was level 60. That took a lot of monster killing and wore out my good will very quickly. My problem was entirely with the very last boss, because I could make it through most of the dungeon all right at lower levels. But suddenly you're getting hit with her super attack every single turn and it simply comes down to "do you have enough hit points to survive long enough to attack?" It didn't seem like a whole lot of strategy would change that, it was a big old war of attrition.

Anyway, I don't fault them for making the game this way in the 80s, but I also don't see why we should put up with game mechanics like this in 2007. But I did, so I guess I'm just a big moron.

Rev. Ragu
11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I played through this a few months ago, and I had a blast. Honestly, I don't see very many of the problems a lot of you are seeing with the game. Too many encounters, yeah, and the limited number of monsters that could be in a battle limited the amount of encounter variety even further, but since I have a soft spot in my heart and possibly skull for eighties-style mechanics, maybe I'm just the lone idiot who can tolerate those conceits. The one conceit I couldn't stand the last time through, though, was the pathetically tiny inventory and the Big Chocobo shuffle whenever you wanted to try out a new class, and I was glad to see they made it unlimited this time through - though I would have settled for a reasonable and modest inventory size as in FF4.

Aside from that, they made the crap jobs useful, kept the difficulty fairly close to the original, though the splitting monsters and the last boss were much more manageable, the plot was useless but easy enough to ignore, and the designs were adorable. Criticisms of the class system as compared to FFV are certainly valid, though as someone who enjoys the radical team-dependent shifts in strategy of the first FF, I thought this was a good compromise; although it was difficult to gimp your team as in the first game by putting a Thief or Black Mage in there anywhere since they're all pretty good here. I had no problem with underpowered late game classes, I didn't have to grind once, and I beat the final boss in my early fifties. I don't know if that's a testament to my skill, familiarity with FF, the fact that I had fragmented memories of my first time through the game, or just that it's reasonably well balanced for what it is.

For me it was like they smoothed over what I hated, kept in everything that I inexplicably enjoy despite the irritation I feel while playing, and came up with something fairly close to my ideal RPG. Etrian Odyssey got closer to that, sure, but FF3DS was Pretty Damn Good.

Eirikr
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I've played through this game twice: once on a famicom cart, the other earlier in the year on DS.

Once the novelty of finally playing FFIII on a cart wore off (somewhere around the final dungeon), it was nothing but frustration and non-fun. The final dungeon, even if you are prepared, is long and tedious. I resorted to an item duplication trick because I was tired of playing it.

FFIII DS I kinda hated from the get-go. I put it down for a few months and was never really thrilled with it but I decided to max out everyone to 99, max out everyone's Onion Knight class to 99 and get a bunch of the rare Onion equipment drops. I think I did it out of spite, really. I will never play this game again. However, I totally enjoyed how useful Scholar was in the remake. More intellect-based combat options, please.

I call for an alternate RPG option for November: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne!

Mazian
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Then I'd have to spend up to 3 or 4 hours grinding
Am I doing something wrong? I've done pretty much no grinding, with the exception of a handful of battles to drag someone up a few job levels when switching them to a new class. I'm some distance from the final dungeon (level ~30 right now), but have gotten there in a steady and non-tedious manner.

Gredlen
11-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Am I doing something wrong? I've done pretty much no grinding, with the exception of a handful of battles to drag someone up a few job levels when switching them to a new class. I'm some distance from the final dungeon (level ~30 right now), but have gotten there in a steady and non-tedious manner.

This has been my experience so far as well. I think I'm at around 28.
I have done a very small amount of grinding before dungeons, but only to gain one or two levels.

I was sorely tempted to grind a lot when I was constantly getting my rear handed to me by Garuda, though. His Lightning was simply devastating. I made Arc a Dragoon as soon as I entered Saronia, but I think I died to him about five times anyway.
In the end, I decided to make Luneth a Dragoon as well. Then I had Ingus use Bacchus' Cider on Refia, who casted Cura every turn. Ingus still died, but at least I ended up winning. It worked much better than my "turn everyone into Dragoons and have them all Jump like the dickens" strategy, I must say.

Egarwaen
11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Garuda is simply an absurdly stupid boss. I forget how I finally beat him, but I think it involved more luck than anything else.

I'm going to chime in and say that a big part of the game is class choice. Going in with the right classes for an area can make a huge difference, much more than a couple dozen job levels. You also pick up those first dozen or so job levels fairly quickly, so it's not hard to bring a new class up to speed.

Zef
11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
"Turn everyone into Dragoons and have them all Jump like the dickens" is the standard strategy for Garuda. His Lightning is stupidly (unfairly, even) powerful at the time you face him. Fortunately, the game provides enough Dragoon equipment for all four characters, and the tower itself is an adequate grindspot for bringing them over the job change slump. Still, took me four tries to kill the bastard. He was probably the most difficult boss in my game, even though one of the Four Guardians brought Luneth (the sole survivor of that battle) to single digits.

However, now that you've finished Salonia/Saronia, you have access to the Underwater Cave in the Southeast corner of the world. I know most of you hate grinding, but somehow I didn't mind it in this game, and the UWC is in the top tree spots for it: its enemies are typically weak enough to be one-shotted with Gaia (provided your Geomancer has good levels) and they yield abnormally high Exp. The treasures within are also very, very useful.

Merus
11-06-2007, 04:10 AM
I have cracked this open just now.

Is it me, or is there no point to leaving a hand free? It seems like equipping two weapons nearly doubles your attack and damage output at the expense of an opportunity to wear a shield.

I did notice that you get bulk discounts from the stores, which is a touch I really like.

wumpwoast
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Totally, two weapons for all your fighter-type classes.

I feel what BanjoMike is saying WRT predicting the future. But it helps to follow what townspeople say really closely, and based on that you try to "forecast" how long a dungeon is or what weapons or attacks a boss might be weak against. Like this time around, after SIX people in Salonia told me the same "Only a legendary dragoon was able to defeat the legendary guardian", the premise for the upcoming boss fight becomes crystal clear. Clearer than it was for my dense self six years ago the first time through.

Also, scholars kick ass between when you obtain the class and the Water Temple cave on the main world. It's like getting magic for free when using archers or scholars with elemental weapons. Here's the secret for useful scholars: Put them in the front row. You'll need to cure them often -- even though they get mega-damaged by physical attacks, their hit percentage goes way up and the resulting elemental offense boost is so nice. At one point my scholar was dishing out twice the damage of my equally-leveled Knight with the best swords I could give him.

R^2
11-06-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm at the point just, I assume, before you get the Chain Key, since I have the swamp-crossing shoes but my ship is still locked. I got to this point right before Pokemon Diamond took all my portable gaming time, and after trying to pick it back up and resume my game, the grinding got tedious after a few minutes and I went back to finish New Super Mario Brothers instead.

MCBanjoMike
11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
As I recall, the first part of the game is kinder re: grinding than the later areas. I think the place where I first got stuck was called something like the Time Temple or somesuch. Anyway, I recall it being underwater and being particularly dangerous due to possible back-attacks by groups of 3 chimerae, which could kill my entire group before I'd even had a turn to retaliate. Bleh.

Paul le Fou
11-06-2007, 09:33 AM
You definitely dual-wield for, well, everyone, at all times.

The only time I used shields was later when I got a viking (as the, uh, the fourth character. I never could bother learning their names). Since you can change equipment during battle, if someone was wounded or sometimes just for the hell of it, I would pop him with two shields and have him taunt. Basically he could take a crit for as much as (or less than) someone else would have been normally hit, and it would really save on healing/items. But usually having him just wail on people was more effective.

When I was playing this I found that I never really needed to grind at all. For one thing, I made my main character a monk the instant I got the class, and only took him off of it for the Dragoons fight. Between consistently finding awesome claws in dungeons and staying the same class, he was alsways super-awesome. His monk level was level 74 - yes, 74 - by the time I unlocked the final classes - he would do at least double the damage of anyone else, including my bruiser viking. We're talking like 20+ (might have even reached near 30, I can't remember) hits, doing 4-5k while everyone else was doing 2-2.5k.

Now, I realize that the black belt has higher stat growth and such, but to maximize that takes a lot of grinding. And that makes my soul hurt.

ALSO, as I just looked up a GameFAQs walkthrough to see how far I was from the end and if I should follow through and finish the game, I noticed it (which I also used pretty frequently while playing the first time) was written by our very own ArkFullofSorrow. Hi Ark! Your name is Afton. That's cool. :O

Zef
Totally, two weapons for all your fighter-type classes.
And take that literally. If you have a Monk/Black Belt, either give him or her two claws, or nothing at all. You'd only gimp him/her with only one claw.

However, even though dual-wielding is the way to go for 95% of the game, there are bosses (like Garuda) who will hand you your ass if you fail to equip a shield. The offset in damage dealt is negligible compared to the boost in Defense, especially if it's a specialty shield. Then again, if your Job can't equip a shield at all, then yeah, go out and dual-wield away :)

Brickroad
I'm afraid I have to break Talking Time rules and not replay FF3 while this thread is hopping. I finished it a few months ago and while I enjoyed it I'm kind of super glad I never have to touch it again.

That said, Bards are super good. Each harp has its own song. Each song gives you a full party buff. Each buff lasts two rounds. You can switch harps each round. So a bard with a pair of awesome harps can keep the entire team uberbuffed as long as he draws breath.

wumpwoast
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
As I recall, the first part of the game is kinder re: grinding than the later areas. I think the place where I first got stuck was called something like the Time Temple or somesuch. Anyway, I recall it being underwater and being particularly dangerous due to possible back-attacks by groups of 3 chimerae, which could kill my entire group before I'd even had a turn to retaliate. Bleh.

Um, haha. I'm at the entrance to this area right now. Maybe my story shall change. :)

Justin

Alex
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
My friend code is 214 863 985 576 if I'm not too late to the MogNet party.

Parish
11-07-2007, 11:53 PM
You know, I never really had to grind in this game when I played for review. I reached the final boss section in about 20 hours' play time, maintaining a pretty steady pace and rarely dying. Maybe it comes down to job selections?

Merus
11-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Wait, they don't just give EGM cheat codes and hookers so it gets a high score?

Parish
11-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Only Rockstar does that, duh.

Zef
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
You know, I never really had to grind in this game when I played for review. I reached the final boss section in about 20 hours' play time, maintaining a pretty steady pace and rarely dying. Maybe it comes down to job selections?

Hmm, what did you use? Aside from special occasions like the Mini adventures (where everyone had to use magic) or the Garuda fight, in which everyone was a Dragoon, my team was pretty consistent. Arc was a White Mage for 95% of my game (then ended up as a Sage for the Tower and the Dark World.) Luneth started off as Warrior, then Knight, then Dragoon, and finally as Black Belt for the final battle. Refia was Monk, Black Mage, Thief, and Geomancer. Finally, Ingus was Red Mage for almost all of the floating continent, then he was a Dark Knight and a Ninja ever since those jobs were available.

Not once did I use Vikings, Devouts, Rangers, Evokers, Bards, or Summoners. Scholar was good only for that one fight with Hyne. On the other hand, I'd go and deliberately grind for hours in the Underwater Cave, Bahamut's Roost, and the Ancients' Maze. Maybe my style of play relies too much on brute force, rather than using these Jobs' unique skills?

TheSL
11-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm in the same boat as Jeremy, but I finished closer to the 25-30 hour mark.

Luneth: Warrior->Knight(+shield)
Refia: Thief->Dark Knight->Ninja
Arc: White Mage->Devout
Ingus: Black Mage->Dragoon->Magus

Unless otherwise noted, I dual wielded through the entire game.

Parish
11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Hmm, what did you use?
Man, I don't even remember. It's been a year. I recall using Luneth as my primary attacker (knight, dark knight), moved Duder 4 to the lead position to be a damage sponge or secondary (viking, ninja) and let Duder 2 and Refia serve as my attack/buff and cure/evoker mages, respectively. Pretty standard balanced party.

Eirikr
11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
When I fought Garuda I had Refia in her hotass Scholar duds and she used one of those nifty attack items. Did about 4000+ damage. I couldn't believe it. Probably my favorite moment of the entire game and that's not really saying a whole lot.

Paul le Fou
11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I never had to grind to get through the game either (although I stopped right after getting the last set of jobs). Having Luneth as a monk for the entirety of the game made him pretty flippin' badass, outdamaging the rest of my party each round. But Ingus as a Knight->Viking, Refia as a white mage and Luneth as a black mage made for pretty good support as well.

If you change jobs too much, of course, you won't get any of them particularly high job levels, and if you pick one up just for a certain area it won't really be too effective in the longrun.

If they used an FF5-like carry-over system that didn't penalize you for using more than one job for a character, it might be different, but you've basically got to have consistent focus in a certain class to get it to a point where you'll be viable without having to grind - which, of course, means that you've got to go ahead and pick what class you think will be the best and hope it doesn't end up being useless. At least they balanced the classes out so that they would all be able to contribute something.

Swordian
11-10-2007, 07:54 PM
So I've been enjoying the game so far and haven't stopped to grind at all. However, I feel like I slammed into a wall because I have reached the Time Temple. Certain encounters guarantee at least one death and nobody in my party can cast Raise yet, so all of this dying doesn't really work out so well.

Daremo
11-10-2007, 09:06 PM
The game is fairly easy, but there are points where you have to grind a little bit. It also really depends on how you setup your party too. But with enough leveling it seems that almost any well balanced party setup can finish the game with ease.

Along the lines of party setups:

What is the hardest formation you can think of and would it be possible to finish the game that way? I would like to see the all white mage party finish the entire game. Ughhh! The pain!

Egarwaen
11-10-2007, 09:34 PM
What is the hardest formation you can think of and would it be possible to finish the game that way? I would like to see the all white mage party finish the entire game. Ughhh! The pain!

I don't know, I think a "no Magic" party would be just as hard. You'd have real trouble with the Mini zones, for a start. ;)

Daremo
11-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know, I think a "no Magic" party would be just as hard. You'd have real trouble with the Mini zones, for a start. ;)

My friend is using an all Monk party right now and it is working alright for him. I am waiting to see what he says when he gets to some of the later bosses.

Falselogic
11-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I hated this game. never got off the first continent. I can deal with old school JRPGs anymore it seems. I don't have the inclination or the time to sit there and do random battles and grinding...

Am I an old man now?

Eirikr
11-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I hated this game. never got off the first continent. I can deal with old school JRPGs anymore it seems. I don't have the inclination or the time to sit there and do random battles and grinding...

Am I an old man now?

You're playing Final Fantasy III. It can emasculate the best of us.

Falselogic
11-11-2007, 08:18 PM
You're playing Final Fantasy III. It can emasculate the best of us.

I have to ask myself, how did I ever get through the original FF? or FFIV or V?

Eirikr
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I have to ask myself, how did I ever get through the original FF? or FFIV or V?

Because they are well-designed (well, maybe not FFI) and without frustration in mind, which some FF vets might equate as "fun" or even "easy."

Gredlen
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I have obtained the Invincible! I never thought I'd find the ability to fly over mountains so completely underwhelming. Maybe it's because hopping over a single mountain sucks and only serves to keep you out of what I assume is the final dungeon. Plus there's the fact that the Invincible moves terribly slow. I think they could have found a better name for the ship. Like the Big Whale. It certainly fits my mental image of the way it struggles over those individual mountains.

Speaking of whales, I went back to the floating world and investigated that... thing that was swimming around.
It did not take long for Leviathan to hand my rear end to me. The only person in my party that was invulnerable to petrification was my White Mage, which did not turn out well. I guess I'll have to sacrifice my Knight's ability to mercilessly slaughter everything by giving him the Aegis Shield. There's no point in actually beating him, as I've no intention of using a Summoner, but this is Final Fantasy. That's just the sort of thing you have to do.

I just wish I didn't have to go through the stupid dungeon again. To be on the safe side, I'll probably Teleport out after I've gotten all the treasure this time, then heal up and save. That way if I die, my next run through can be relatively painless.

Zef
11-12-2007, 09:16 PM
The only person in my party that was invulnerable to petrification was my White Mage, which did not turn out well. I guess I'll have to sacrifice my Knight's ability to mercilessly slaughter everything by giving him the Aegis Shield.
Actually, it's far more important being able to survive at least two consecutive Tidal Waves. Petrified allies sustain zero damage from that, so they're "safe" inasmuch as you remember to cure them afterwards.

Personally, I had Luneth Jump out of harm's way, dual-wielding Gungnir and the second-strongest lance I could find. It was also one of the few battles where Refia was a Black Mage rather than a Geomancer, because, well, Thundaga.

Egarwaen
11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
I just wish I didn't have to go through the stupid dungeon again. To be on the safe side, I'll probably Teleport out after I've gotten all the treasure this time, then heal up and save. That way if I die, my next run through can be relatively painless.

If you need to grind, do not do a cheap kill on Leviathan. You can't get back in there after you beat him, and that place is almost as good as the underwater cave in terms of easy-to-XP ratio.

ringworm
11-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I started this yesterday and just finished getting the third set of jobs (Water Crystal?) before calling it a night. I'm finding myself really enjoying the game, despite the fact that it's really unforgiving. I played a tiny bit of this on a (poorly) translated ROM once-upon-a-time and I really appreciate the attempts at story they've made. There have actually been several relatively clever bits of dialogue.

The main thing though is I still haven't really played with the jobs. Like, at all. I switched my Warrior to Knight, but otherwise I've been rolling with with a Monk, a White Mage, and a Black Mage for the whole game thus far. I'm barely squeaking by some shit and am starting to feel significantly underlevelled...especially against that Water Crystal boss. Looking at the Viking I may switch my Knight to that, and I'll probably give the Geomancer a try in place of Black Mage.

I'd like to try to give the weirder looking classes, Dragoon, Dark Knight, Bard, etc. a shot, but the game almost seems to punish me for experimentation.

Mazian
11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
You went from start to Water Crystal in one day? Yikes.

There's no good way to experiment with all of the classes in this game. As partial compensation, some of the classes are entirely skippable. Rangers don't bring anything exciting to the table, Vikings are so slow many random battles finish before they act (and they gain little JP as a result), Evokers are too hit-or-miss.

As I may have mentioned... once or twice... this week... Geomancers are loads of fun, especially when you're on terrain that gives you the good effects. Mine has high speed stats, and as a result has good odds of acting first in random encounters, then wiping out all the enemies in one hit.

Gredlen
11-13-2007, 12:00 AM
I've been doing pretty fine so far with a Knight, White Mage, Monk, and Dragoon. I kinda want to make someone a Dark Knight, but I don't know who. I wish you could rename characters in the middle of the game, because I'd love to suddenly turn my party into FF4 characters.
Anyway, I'm going to feel silly if I end up wanting to switch the Dark Knight again with one of the jobs from the last set, so I think I'll just wait until then.

wumpwoast
11-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Not that I've done it in my current playthrough yet, but I remember being so proud of finishing the "shadow cave" with all the splitting enemies that almost requires the presence of a Dark Knight.

That had so many secrets and hidden branching paths that it really required my top game. It was far more satisfying than just grinding for a few hours to master the Red Mage/Mimic combo so I could beat Exdeath in FFV.

I remember there being a place to change your character's names in FFIII but it definitely was a secret area, if my memory isn't lying to me.

Egarwaen
11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Vikings are so slow many random battles finish before they act (and they gain little JP as a result),

Vikings are actually pretty good for a long stretch of the game, since:

1) You face a lot of water enemies. (Their weapons are all lightning element, IIRC, so water enemies are weak against them)
2) The best available "fighter" weapons are hammers.

A Viking dual-wielding hammers may be slow, but they hit like a frigging truck and take damage like one too. If you're concerned about JP, have them Defend or Taunt. These actions always go first, so no matter how quickly your Monk kung fus the rest of the enemies into oblivion, the Viking will still build up JP.

Generally, I found the magic-using classes other than White Mage (and its successors) and Geomancer to be lackluster at best. Between the many good "fighter" classes and Geomancers, Black Mages and Summoners just can't compete.

Paul le Fou
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
I used a viking for most of the time I had one available to me, and the ability to double-shield and taunt alone makes them better to my mind than an equivalent fighter class. Also, I never had problems with my viking's speed - even as a knight, Ingus tended to go last among my party members but before the enemies, and as a viking I didn't notice any differences.

wumpwoast
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
So Odin has ruthlessly massacred my party three times now, and each time I play him it seems to get more difficult, not less.

Time for either grinding or the Time Temple or both.

Zef
11-16-2007, 10:26 AM
If you MUST grind, Odin's own dungeon is pretty good for it. Also, remember to take a Thief up to at least Level 75 so he or she can steal Gungnir off him.

Parish
11-16-2007, 10:48 AM
If you MUST grind, Odin's own dungeon is pretty good for it. Also, remember to take a Thief up to at least Level 75 so he or she can steal Gungnir off him.
Also, remember to take a Thief up to at least Level 75 so he or she can steal Gungnir off him.
take a Thief up to at least Level 75
at least Level 75
You just made me like the game a lot less.

Zef
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
You just made me like the game a lot less.
Uh, I mean that the Thief's Job Level must be 75, not the character's. Although it's a cheap way to do it, Defending for six turns in a single battle will raise your Job level by 1 (unless you've already been using a Thief for a significant portion of the game, anyway.) Also, the Job Level relates to how well they perform at the Job, hence increasing the chances of stealing the weapon, but a lower level wouldn't necessarily negate the opportunity --personally, I think I got it at around Lv70 or so (which I got up to from a natural Lv60,) but later I read FAQs and the Official Guide's suggestions for a Lv75 minimum.

estragon
11-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Somewhat relatedly, Thief is also an underrated class. I had one of my characters a thief all the way until ninja became an option, and he consistently did awesome damage. Also, you can steal stuff. Which is nice.

Octopus Prime
11-17-2007, 03:40 PM
I've decided to try to beat the game for reals. I'm currently at lvl 50 and thus must go a grindin'. Luckily the 2 penultimate dungeons are really good for grinding.

My team consists of a Ninja, Dragoon, Devout and Geomancer. If anyone can give me any advice for the final stretch I'm all ears.

Also: At this stage of the game, Odin, Leviathan and Bahamut are really, REALLY easy to beat.

Egarwaen
11-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Somewhat relatedly, Thief is also an underrated class. I had one of my characters a thief all the way until ninja became an option, and he consistently did awesome damage. Also, you can steal stuff. Which is nice.

Ditto. Thieves are really, really good.

Generally, you want to choose your classes based on the items available. Often, you'll get a good item that'll put a bad class ahead of a good class for a dungeon or two.

MCBanjoMike
11-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I've decided to try to beat the game for reals. I'm currently at lvl 50 and thus must go a grindin'. Luckily the 2 penultimate dungeons are really good for grinding.

My team consists of a Ninja, Dragoon, Devout and Geomancer. If anyone can give me any advice for the final stretch I'm all ears.

Also: At this stage of the game, Odin, Leviathan and Bahamut are really, REALLY easy to beat.

Advice? Get to level 60. I had exactly that party and that's more or less what I had to do. One other thing, though - for the very last boss, it REALLY helps to have two characters that can cast high-level curative spells. It might be worthwhile to change your dragoon over to some kind of white magic user to have that extra Curaja or Arise for that final battle. If you switch now, they'll be at a reasonable job level by the time you're done grinding (although, thankfully, Arise works just as well at any level).

Gredlen
11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Welcome... to the woooorld of darkness!
One might correctly infer that I've reached the World of Darkness. Hopefully my level 52 team of Knight, Dragoon, Black Belt, and Sage are prepared for this. I would really quite hate to die right around now. It'd be nice if I could get a chance to save.

Red Hedgehog
11-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Man, Leviathon went down easily. And I haven't done any grinding in this game.

On to the rest of the side-quests before the final dungeon...

Octopus Prime
11-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Welcome... to the woooorld of darkness!
One might correctly infer that I've reached the World of Darkness. Hopefully my level 52 team of Knight, Dragoon, Black Belt, and Sage are prepared for this. I would really quite hate to die right around now. It'd be nice if I could get a chance to save.

You cling to that hope. Because thats all it is.

And you're right, being able to save after reaching the WoD would be very, very nice.

Parish
11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Thread done killed early due to overwhelming lack of interest.