PDA

View Full Version : Fun Club 9: Super Mario Bros. 3

Parish
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I was hoping that Nintendo would put this out on VC before Mario Galaxy arrived so we could do a Fun Club. For once, they got it right.

Super Mario Bros. 3
Nintendo | NES/SNES/GBA/Virtual Console | 1990

You are free to play any version! Bonus for discussing the eReader levels from the GBA game. I dug up my cards and eReader yesterday so that I may rock them.

Mightyblue
11-05-2007, 12:00 PM
e-Reader, lol. *Scurries for old SNES*

TheSL
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Bonus for discussing the eReader levels from the GBA game. I dug up my cards and eReader yesterday so that I may rock them.

I always wanted to try those levels, but they never sold the cards around here.

Excitemike
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I always wanted to try those levels, but they never sold the cards around here.

Most of the extra levels didn't even make it over here. There's a whole chunk of that game that most fans will never see.

sraymonds
11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Can we discuss the Mario games through song and dance?

SlimJimm
11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Once I get home to play through Mario 3 again Ill have some actual points for discussion, but for now I just want to throw out there that when I was small the ghosts scared the hell out of me.

Not because they were ghosts, but because they were invincible (unless you had hammers I found out later) and they would always follow you anwhere.

Eirikr
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
All right guys. Let's do this the manly way: no warp whistles. I have no memory of actually playing through the game that way.

TheSL
11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Most of the extra levels didn't even make it over here. There's a whole chunk of that game that most fans will never see.

The Complete Collection (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/importaku/importakus%20collection/card-e/sma4%20carde/card%20list.html)

I wonder if it would be possible to just scan in print-outs of those?

Excitemike
11-05-2007, 01:14 PM
The Complete Collection (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/importaku/importakus%20collection/card-e/sma4%20carde/card%20list.html)

I wonder if it would be possible to just scan in print-outs of those?

Not likely, the dots were pretty fine. And they would only work with the Japanese version.
(nice link, btw)

Jakanden
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
All right guys. Let's do this the manly way: no warp whistles. I have no memory of actually playing through the game that way.

Then you missed a number of awesome levels I am sure.

What is the deal with this whole e-reader thing? I will likely have my geek cred revoked for asking that, but I have never heard of it.

Octopus Prime
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Then you missed a number of awesome levels I am sure.

What is the deal with this whole e-reader thing? I will likely have my geek cred revoked for asking that, but I have never heard of it.

The fact that you don't know what it is is a testament to how well it worked. Basically, it was one of Nintendo's failed experiments with the GBA, a card reader which would either allow you to play various simple games (at the most complex, Balloon Fight. At least, various Game & Watch titles). At its most auspicious, it allowed access to bonus content to Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire and Mario Advance 4. Since nobody bought the stupid thing, nobody got a chance to use that content.

Also: Damn you Parish! Now I have to go and fish out one of my several copies of Mario 3! And they're all two floors above me! I was comfy in this chair, you thunderous buffoon!

Torgo
11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Actually I think you probably saved yourself pain and misery and your fellow geeks will envy you. The e-reader was essentially an expensive thingamajiger you hooked up to your GBA that had a card slider on it. You bought booster packs of cards that, amongst other things, allowed you to play crappy first-gen NES games and unlock material on a very small number of other GBA games. Keep in mind it often took several cards to do this.

Also keep in mind that the whole thing was a complete and deserved failure and quite possibly even more ill-conceived then the Virtual Boy. However, this was all in the wake of the huge success of the Pokemon CCG, so I'll give Nintendo a pass on it.

Lakupo
11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Hrm... time to pull out my SNES, or download the VC version... an unnecessary spending of five bucks, but the NES version gives you an inventory full of power wings when you beat it...

Reluctant Hero
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I've got an E-Reader too. I wonder if I can pick up the cards off ebay...

Back in my Gamestop days, some kid traded in his GBA Mario Advance 4 with EVERY card. I foolishly gave all the cards away to one of our "regulars". By regular I mean that kid that is in your local Gamestop ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY, and never has money to buy anything. I should have kept those cards because the lastest Retronauts has made me realize that the GBA SMB3 is the ultimate version of the game. Curses...

Octopus Prime
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
No, if it was the Ultimate version of Mario 3, you wouldn't need the cards at all. And it probably wouldn't have Mario shrieking whenever you get an item.

Other then that though, yeah, it probably is the best version.

The-Bavis
11-05-2007, 02:32 PM

I don't think I ever played through every level back-to-back. I at least gave each level a good go back at the time, but I think when I went to beat the game, I went straight for the jugular.

I think this is a huge personal shortcoming and I think the most realistic modern day way to rectify this is through the VC. Thanks for taking MORE of my money, Nintendo!

Sanagi
11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
I just recently played through the GBA game. I like how it lets you go back into each world and play levels at will after you beat it once. (Although 28 P-Wings is nice, too...)

The last stage I beat to complete the game was 6-5. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/525245/40288) What a pain in the tanuki tail that one is, even if you know what you're supposed to do.

joffeorama
11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
This time I'm gonna go for the one secret trick I was never able to pull off, beating an airship with the frog suit.

...actually I wonder if its possible to beat Bowser with the frog suit....

Zef
11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
The one shortcoming I find in SMB3 (well, aside from the World 5 airship) is that you get the best suit in the worst world to use it in. World 7, Pipe Maze, is full of pits, piranha-infested pipes, and devious combinations of the above --why wait till then to give you the Hammer Bros. suit and its awesome fireproof shell, when it's more efficient to blast or fly your way through with a Fire Flower or Super Leaf?

Sanagi
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
World 7 is also the first time the music box is useful...

Torgo
11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
World 7, Pipe Maze, is full of pits, piranha-infested pipes, and devious combinations of the above --why wait till then to give you the Hammer Bros. suit and its awesome fireproof shell, when it's more efficient to blast or fly your way through with a Fire Flower or Super Leaf?
Hammer Bros. suits start showing up part way into World 6.

...just sayin'.

Octopus Prime
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
And World 7 is the only one that makes me consider using a Warp Whistle just to skip some of the harder levels.

I don't act on that impulse, mind you.

alexb
11-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't like Worlds 2 and 7. I usually skip them.

cortbassist89
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Maybe I'll actually beat Mario 3 this time.

For some reason, I'm just incapable of finishing the last world in any Mario game.*

*Except for Lost Levels. And NSMB but that was weaksauce.

Gredlen
11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
When I was a kid, I used to get scared of that damn sun chasing me. It brought back terrible memories of those masks in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Torgo
11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
So, uh, does anyone recall how many rows of items a player gets? I can't remember if it's three or four. SMB3 is one of my favorite games evar, but I haven't played it in probably the better part of ten years.

Not that it's giving me much trouble. Most of the game has been burned into my memory since I was five or six years old. I'm currently on World 3, doing a straight run through the game, and I'm loving every second of it.

I don't even remember how to do it, but without even trying I unlocked the coin ship on World 1.

This is a trip.

p-natsu
11-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Sun and Mask were the most scary Super Mario Bros. creatures ever. =( The hammer bros. were a nuisance, but they didn't make me shit my pants like the super scary angry sun and creepy mask that chased you when you held a key.

I would always use my P in the sun levels just to avoid it. A huge waste, I know. =\

Octopus Prime
11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Sun and Mask were the most scary Super Mario Bros. creatures ever. =( The hammer bros. were a nuisance, but they didn't make me shit my pants like the super scary angry sun and creepy mask that chased you when you held a key.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Tomm Guycot
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
So, uh, does anyone recall how many rows of items a player gets? I can't remember if it's three or four. SMB3 is one of my favorite games evar, but I haven't played it in probably the better part of ten years.

Not that it's giving me much trouble. Most of the game has been burned into my memory since I was five or six years old. I'm currently on World 3, doing a straight run through the game, and I'm loving every second of it.

I don't even remember how to do it, but without even trying I unlocked the coin ship on World 1.

This is a trip.

You make me feel old.

Reluctant Hero
11-05-2007, 06:03 PM
You make me feel old.

Yeah me too! I'm only 27, about to be 28. I was 10 when Mario 3 was released. I rented that game, continuously, for 4 months straight until my parents bought me my own copy in the summer of '90.

Shadax
11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
God, the sun is still a bit terrifying. Anyway, I'll be getting in on this through the Lost Levels version.

Parish
11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
God, the sun is still a bit terrifying. Anyway, I'll be getting in on this through the Lost Levels version.
The which what? I think you have the wrong Mario in mind.

Shadax
11-05-2007, 06:42 PM
The which what? I think you have the wrong Mario in mind.

I meant, of course, the real life star above us, the thought of seeing it with my own eyes one day reduces me to a flabby pile on my Inuyasha bedspread.

No, I meant the Sun from the desert level(s?), which is a horrifying enemy. you've long since accepted the anthropomorphic backgrounds of Mario games, but this is the first time one tried to kill you. Also, by "Lost Levels", I meant All-Stars, since I borrowed a friends SNES with the All-Stars+SMW cart for the former's Fun Club and have neglected to give it back. Why I called it Lost Levels, I will never know.

cortbassist89
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM
All-Stars is awesome.

My Super Mario World cart that doesn't work anymore (aside from the rare 1 in 1000 chance it does), however, isn't.

MCBanjoMike
11-05-2007, 07:02 PM
When I was a kid, I used to get scared of that damn sun chasing me. It brought back terrible memories of those masks in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Yeah, but the beautiful part is that you can get your revenge by killing the sun with a turtle shell! Those scary-ass masks never gave you that luxury...

This is slightly off-topic, but as I recall you couldn't even kill the SMB2 masks when you had a star. Can anyone corroborate my theory?

alexb
11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Guys. The mask has a name. It's called Phanto.

Gredlen
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but the beautiful part is that you can get your revenge by killing the sun with a turtle shell! Those scary-ass masks never gave you that luxury...

I didn't know that when I was a kid, though. My only thought was to RUN LIKE HELL... so they ended up being the same to me back then.

I wish I still had my copy of Super Mario Advance 4. It probably ran off with the e-Reader and the cards.

Octopus Prime
11-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah, but the beautiful part is that you can get your revenge by killing the sun with a turtle shell!

The meteorlogical impact of which is surprisingly small.

Mazian
11-05-2007, 08:17 PM
A few years ago, while doing a two-player runthrough with a friend, we discovered an interesting if accidental way to crank up the difficulty: somewhere around the end of World 3, his old cranky NES got bumped and the sprites went all glitchy. We were afraid to tap it again for fear of resetting the console and losing our progress, so we just kept on playing with randomly mangled graphics. It made some parts of World 6 a real pain: are those coins, or the little black mini-piranha-plants? No way to tell until you jump on them!

ReyVGM
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
If anyone wants I have an (*cough*illegal*cough*) save state with all the SMA4 e-reader levels open (including ALL the Japanese extra awesome cool levels). I'm not sure if I'm able to get a battery save so you can use it with a real GBA though.

Also www.vgmaps.com has maps of all the e-reader levels including the Japanese ones.

Daremo
11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I still have the bright yellow box this game came in folded up in my collection of game boxes. The yellow background with Mario flying out the front just makes me very happy for some strange reason. I think I am going to hook up the NES and play it... Or maybe just buy it AGAIN on the VC so I don't have to lug out the box full of consoles.

gamin
11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Started up Mario All Stars and have gotten through to the 4th World, taking it stage by stage. I had forgotten how short most of the levels are, if you want you can breeze through many just by running forward and be done in 10 seconds. You take some time though, and explore a bit you find so many random cool little things hidden away in most stages.

Was just breezing through the game up until World 3. It feels like the difficulty ramps up quite a bit at that point. The map system also really comes into its own then, it was quite a turning point to be able to get a boat on the map screen and go where you want.

Tomm Guycot
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Playing gradually. I'm on 3-3 at the moment.

So they re-localized some of the text, so Princess tells you about "Goomba's Shoe" at the end of World 2. WTF is that crap?

mopinks
11-06-2007, 02:36 AM
I love the bonus e-reader levels in the GBA version because they are BATSHIT INSANE. also, the stuff you could add to the main game with the e-reader was really neat, like SMB2 vegetables in the stages and WHOA SUPER MARIO WORLD CAPE FEATHER.

if they'd made it possible to get all that stuff without using the stupid e-reader, it really could've been the greatest game ever.

super mario world excluded

Keithius
11-06-2007, 06:42 AM
You make me feel old.

Geez yeah.

Now I'm going to have to go back and play through SMB3. Great. It's been almost 10 years since I last played it through - I was making progress, dammit!

Of course, I have no doubt that even without using warp whistles, I'll still be able to go through the entire game without really thinking much.

Why can't I remember more useful things???

TheSL
11-06-2007, 07:29 AM
So they re-localized some of the text, so Princess tells you about "Goomba's Shoe" at the end of World 2. WTF is that crap?

Not like it really matters anyways- Kuribo is just Japanese for Goomba. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuribo#Goomba)

Dadgum Roi
11-06-2007, 08:12 AM

What version are you playing? That's interesting if Nintendo made some changes to the VC version.

Dadgum Roi
11-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I'll offer a counterpoint to the "SMB3 burned into my brain, am on last level and haven't died yet" posts.

I blow at platformers. I guess I had it once, because I finished the Star Road in SMW, but I don't have it now. I played SMB3 for around two and a half hours last night and only managed to get to 3-8. However, it was tons of fun, which my playing time would indicate. I've forgotten how a lot of stuff works; I would have sworn that the power leaf let you do some rudimentary flying, but I can't get it to work. Oh well.

R^2
11-06-2007, 08:44 AM
It does. Run until the P meter at the bottom of the screen fills up (there's a whistle sound when you do), then jump into the air. Hammer the A button to fly.

Shadax
11-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Hammer the A button to fly.

This is the important part. Especially coming off of SMW, where you just have to take off, you have to practically give the A button a blanket party if you want maximum height. Coming fresh off of SMW, I find it hard to remember this.

Excitemike
11-06-2007, 09:15 AM

An improvement?

MCBanjoMike
11-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Guys. The mask has a name. It's called Phanto.

Yeah, well Mr. Of The Opera there can never remember my name, so I don't see why I should return the favor. Stupid incorporeal jerk.

Daremo
11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
So I started playing the original on VC and after playing the last couple remakes of the game I have to say that the color palette is bugging me. I do not remember the game looking so washed out. Maybe it was the crappy TV I had when I was young, but the game is not as bright and vibrant looking as I remember. Still hell of a lot of fun though, just not living up to what I remembered. ; ;

Tomm Guycot
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Not like it really matters anyways- Kuribo is just Japanese for Goomba. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuribo#Goomba)

Everyone knows that - it wasn't the point.

I'm playing VC.

Sporophyte
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Playing gradually. I'm on 3-3 at the moment.

A friend of mine was talking about the names of the worlds being different than he remembered, so I did a little research into this. Apprently there were two different versions (http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/games/smb3)of the game out on the NES. The VC has the later corrected version.

Violentvixen
11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
A friend of mine was talking about the names of the worlds being different than he remembered, so I did a little research into this. Apprently there were two different versions (http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/games/smb3)of the game out on the NES. The VC has the later corrected version.

Interesting. (Debates leaving work to see which version she has).

Torgo
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
You make me feel old.
Yeah me too!
Geez yeah.
Well maybe you bunch of old fogies could get around to answering my question.

So, uh, does anyone recall how many rows of items a player gets?

Kishi
11-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Nintendo's been making changes to the VC versions of their old games for a while now. "EYES OF SKULL HAS A SECRET" in Zelda was changed to "THE EYES OF THE SKULL HAVE SECRETS" (in left-aligned text rather than centered, making it stand out even worse), for example.

The one shortcoming I find in SMB3 (well, aside from the World 5 airship) is that you get the best suit in the worst world to use it in. World 7, Pipe Maze, is full of pits, piranha-infested pipes, and devious combinations of the above --why wait till then to give you the Hammer Bros. suit and its awesome fireproof shell, when it's more efficient to blast or fly your way through with a Fire Flower or Super Leaf?

Hammer Bros. suits start showing up part way into World 6.

...just sayin'.

Certain copies of All-Stars were released with some debug code still implemented in SMB3. Simply pressing Select at any time allows you to toggle through Mario's various forms, including the Hammer Suit. You can even get Kuribo's Shoe by holding one of the four face buttons before pressing Select.

I wish I had one of those copies.

Zef
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Well maybe you bunch of old fogies could get around to answering my question.

Four.

And I was eleven when SMB3 came out. :(

SamuelMarston
11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't remember how old I was when it came out, but believe me, I wanted it badly for my birthday. Back then it was at least $59.99 around these parts.

Oh yeah, I liked the e-reader.

shivam
11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
i was in like 3rd grade or so. getting that yellow box home from BJ's Warehouse in framingham and then popping it into my NES, seeing that red curtain go up, and then hearing that theme song...

and then level 1-1. wow.

Mazian
11-06-2007, 01:38 PM
I subscribed to Nintendo Power back then just to get this:

http://www.magweasel.com/images/thumb/1/1b/Np-9006.jpg/160px-Np-9006.jpg (http://nintendope.iodized.net/smb3/strat.php)

Essential for getting the most out of the memory game house that showed up every 80,000 points.

TheSL
11-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I subscribed to Nintendo Power back then just to get this:

http://www.magweasel.com/images/thumb/1/1b/Np-9006.jpg/160px-Np-9006.jpg (http://nintendope.iodized.net/smb3/strat.php)

Essential for getting the most out of the memory game house that showed up every 80,000 points.

I used that so much as a kid that the binding completely fell apart and I lost random pages. I don't think we even had it until after I'd already completed all the stages, though.

Zef
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I love that guide! Still have it at hands' reach, too. I really liked the illustrations used for each World, especially Pipe Maze.

If I knew how to scan (I do have a scanner, but I never know how to configure it) and if it weren't such a huge copyright violation with Nintendo, I'd scan that sucker and share it immediately.

TheSL
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
If I knew how to scan (I do have a scanner, but I never know how to configure it) and if it weren't such a huge copyright violation with Nintendo, I'd scan that sucker and share it immediately.

Someone else beat you to it. (http://nintendope.iodized.net/smb3/strat.php)

Mazian
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
if it weren't such a huge copyright violation with Nintendo, I'd scan that sucker and share it immediately.
I'm not not saying that image in my post is also a link....

TheSL
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not not saying that image in my post is also a link....

...but its also incomplete.

Mazian
11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
...but its also incomplete.
Yes, though there are more pages available by going to the parent directory (http://nintendope.iodized.net/smb3/strategy/) instead.

I do have a full set of scans, but nowhere to put them right now.... hmm.

Eirikr
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I went and done it.

I pulled out my old Mario All-Stars cart to check whether or not it had the glitch. It didn't. :(

So I ended up playing through the entire game. Every stage. I had forgotten how sublime the gameplay is. But I hadn't forgotten how much of an annoyance the fortress in stage 8 is.

I think the reason I always used warp whistles was because I think stage 2 is kinda...boring. It's just not as visually interesting with the exception of the sun stage. But even that pales in comparison to Giant Land, the Sky, and pretty much all the others. There's just so much quality later on that even a stage like the Desert seems kinda dull where in any other game it would have been a standout.

Kishi
11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
People always talk about how perfectly mind-blowing Big Island is, but it always bothered me that some sprites were entirely redrawn to be larger, while others were just resized, huge pixels and all. It's a surprisingly lazy tactic in an otherwise polished game.

Zef
11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
But I hadn't forgotten how much of an annoyance the fortress in stage 8 is.
All I remember about the World 8 Fortress is that I played it while I had the mumps (there was a mild epidemic at school, y'see) and that I had finally conquered it just before going to a doctor's appointment that confirmed the disease. Then I had to spend the next week in bed, away from TV and away from my NES, while I toughed it out. That evil Fortress was the last level I played for a long time. :(

Brickroad
11-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Just started my playthrough (NES version). I'm going to play every single level, required or not, to get the full experience.

Just cleared 1-2. Two things I forgot about this game that are awesome:

- the coin indicator is a dollar sign. Neat!

- Mario flips when he jumps around with a star. Double neat!

Eirikr
11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
People always talk about how perfectly mind-blowing Big Island is, but it always bothered me that some sprites were entirely redrawn to be larger, while others were just resized, huge pixels and all. It's a surprisingly lazy tactic in an otherwise polished game.

Even so, the initial shock you get from seeing everything supersized is still there. Hell, even though I was expecting it this time, it still made me do a double take from its coolness.

Kishi
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
A lot of things aren't resized at all, either. Like those fire-spitting Piranha Plants.

Although, I really like that stage where you can go through doors to switch between two identical sides, one of which has huge-sized stuff, the other normal.

Alastor
11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I always liked how Mario turns bright orange when equipped with the fire flower, something that was missing in the GBA game.

I didn't know it was called Kuribo's Shoe until recently. I always just called it the big green boot of awesomeness.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the infamous 11-minute video.

Kishi
11-06-2007, 06:38 PM
It introduced me, as I'm sure it did many, to tool-assisted speed runs.

Brickroad
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
"Thank you, but our Princess is in another castle!... Just kidding! Ha ha ha! Bye bye!"

This is exactly what I'm going to say to my rescuer if I ever get kidnapped.

vaterite
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, I went and done it.
But I hadn't forgotten how much of an annoyance the fortress in stage 8 is.

When I'd try to beat the game, I'd of course play the warp whistle on the warp screen, to get to world 8 (what kind of awesome programming genius is that). However, since the fortress ALWAYS killed me, my I had to use the first warp whistle to get to world 2, and then beat it just to get the cloud so I never had to play the devil's fortress.

MCBanjoMike
11-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I think the reason I always used warp whistles was because I think stage 2 is kinda...boring. It's just not as visually interesting with the exception of the sun stage. But even that pales in comparison to Giant Land, the Sky, and pretty much all the others. There's just so much quality later on that even a stage like the Desert seems kinda dull where in any other game it would have been a standout.

I'll see you your world two and raise you a world three, which I also think isn't particularly exceptional. Considering how great worlds 4,5,6 and 7 are, the only reason that I play through 2 and 3 (like, every damn time) is because I'm such a completionist. You could also substitute that last word for moron, whichever one you prefer.

World 8 is for masochists, in the same way that Virginia is for lovers. But I can beat every stage without resorting to P-Wings...eventually.

shivam
11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
the music of stage 2 is my favorite.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-07-2007, 06:10 AM

This is slightly off-topic, but as I recall you couldn't even kill the SMB2 masks when you had a star. Can anyone corroborate my theory?

You can in Advance.

Anyway, yeah, I've been saying for some time now that if they followed some other Greatest Hits/Platinum/etc. examples (I think Devil May Cry 3 was one such example) and released SMB3 as GBA Player's Choice with all the eReader stuff intact, I'd gladly buy the game again for the fourth time.

Hell, give us some version on Wii where we can get the extras as downloadable content.

There's some neat stuff there, like the throwbacks to the first SMB's levels, plus a new ghost house, and a wild stage where you run all up along the walls and ceiling with triangle blocks from SMW.

Do things like the feather, SMB2 vegetables, and such work in the regular game, or are those just for the e-Worlds?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Zef
11-07-2007, 07:34 AM
So I started playing the original on VC and after playing the last couple remakes of the game I have to say that the color palette is bugging me. I do not remember the game looking so washed out. Maybe it was the crappy TV I had when I was young, but the game is not as bright and vibrant looking as I remember. Still hell of a lot of fun though, just not living up to what I remembered. ; ;
Now that I've downloaded the VC version, you're right. It's definitely darker and looks washed out. ;_;

TheSL
11-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I downloaded the VC version last night and had a great time playing up to World 5 with my brother. Anyone else notice a ton of graphical glitching along the edges of the screen? There's constantly a colored bar running down the left side of my screen that isn't present in the other NES VC games I've downloaded and more of the blocks/items are randomly changing color than I remember in the original.

Excitemike
11-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Does anyone have a chart for the card house? I know there was a way to beat it every time...

I do sort of hazily remember that colored bar on the NES version, I think I was playing at a friends house. I can't see it on VC, though.

TheSL
11-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Does anyone have a chart for the card house? I know there was a way to beat it every time...

Here (http://nintendope.iodized.net/smb3/strategy/10.jpg)

The-Bavis
11-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I downloaded the VC version last night and had a great time playing up to World 5 with my brother. Anyone else notice a ton of graphical glitching along the edges of the screen? There's constantly a colored bar running down the left side of my screen that isn't present in the other NES VC games I've downloaded and more of the blocks/items are randomly changing color than I remember in the original.

The colored bar was mentioned on page 1 or 2 regarding the NES version. It's been there all along (maybe not on Advance or All-Stars), we just didn't notice the first time around.

Tomm Guycot
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Color bar's always been there. It allows you to have that badass graphical quality, so don't knock it.

As for the "washed out" complaints - hook up your NES to the same TV you're playing VC on. That's the only way to tell if it's really the game. (and I want to know, so someone please do this)

Zef
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Will do, as soon as I get home. Good thing my NES is easily accessible. Besides, playing on a NES pad is more comfortable than the narrower (and thicker) Wiimote anyway. :)

Daremo
11-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I think it just might be the settings on my screen. The NES comes through composite and the Wii is going through component. I did not want to mess with the settings because other Wii games look just fine, but NES VC games seem to be a bit washed out. They are very sharp though. It took SM3 to make me notice (prob because I played the hell out of it as a child).

The first screen is NES, the second is Wii. Sorry about the poor quality. My real digital camera was very much unplugged >_<

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes01.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii01.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes02.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii02.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes03.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii03.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes04.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii04.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes05.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii05.jpg

Daremo
11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes06.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii06.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes07.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii07.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes08.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii08.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes09.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii09.jpg

http://www.newjapan.us/matt/nes10.jpg
http://www.newjapan.us/matt/wii10.jpg

...on the plus side the Wii versions are much sharper, but the details do not show in my terrible camera screen shots. The degree that colors are warmer on an NES also does not show too well in the photos. You can tell, but when you look at it on the screen you can REALLY tell. As I said before, it may be the way my screen handles the two types of input so fear not the VC version and get your Mario on!!

shivam
11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
so the real question becomes, if you have a NES and the games already on it, and its readily accessible and works, why the hell did you buy em again?

TheSL
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
so the real question becomes, if you have a NES and the games already on it, and its readily accessible and works, why the hell did you buy em again?

I bought it so if I wanted to play Mario 3 all I had to do was break out the Wii remote instead of dragging out the NES, hooking it up to my HDTV(that looks terrible since I've got the NES 2.0- RF only), etc.

Daremo
11-07-2007, 11:48 AM

Just a pain to drag it out and hook it up and then put it away again. Most of my VC purchases are not games that I own (I never could afford a TG16) but there are plenty of things I double purchased just because it is easier to play them again on the Wii. My NES is also kinda picky. It takes around 10 tries to get the game to stay down, or sometimes I just resort to a piece of scotch tape.

Mazian
11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll see you your world two and raise you a world three, which I also think isn't particularly exceptional.
World 3 annoys me for two semi-contradictory reasons:

I don't like all-water stages.
Despite being the Water World, most of it takes place on dry land, so the stages are thoroughly generic.

Overall, World 3's design doesn't do it for me. Luckily World 4 is right up thereafter, and as soon as Toad starts handing out Tanooki suits, all sins are forgiven.

Ghost from Spelunker
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I keep hearing about the angry sun changing peoples lives on this board. Now I feel cheated that Nintendo Power spoiled it.

And I never liked mushroom Mario's standstill sprite in SMB3. It's too profiled and flat-looking. Anybody else hate it?

Daremo
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I keep hearing about the angry sun changing peoples lives on this board. Now I feel cheated that Nintendo Power spoiled it.

The angry sun changed everything. Now you must fear the background as well as the foreground.

Dadgum Roi
11-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Are you kidding? The convenience of the VC is unmatched.

Parish
11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
The convenience, and the progressive scan capabilities.

Eusis
11-07-2007, 06:37 PM
While not applicable to SMB3, there's the battery issue here too. Some of our NES carts have dead batteries and it's just more convenient to buy the game again over the VC, even if not necessarily cheaper.

SamuelMarston
11-07-2007, 08:02 PM
If I didn't already have enough to buy this month... now I REALLY want Mario 3 GBA, and those damned cards.

I hate myself.

mopinks
11-08-2007, 02:48 AM
be prepared to feel very very sad and/or enraged that there is no reasonable, legitimate way to enjoy all of the new levels and features!

I was about to try the print-and-scan method last night until I realized my cousin borrowed my GBA link cable (and original GBA) years ago and never gave them back. siiiiiggggghhhhh :<

Jakanden
11-08-2007, 05:40 AM
I just started playing this again last night and I am playing the GBA version for the first time. I replayed the NES version about a year ago on my PSP as I didn't have the GBA copy at the time. I am nearly finished with World 3 and once again, I am amazed by how well this game holds up and how awesome it still is.

After I beat this again, I am planning on sitting down with NSMB. My sister let me borrow her DS as I wanted to play the DS Castlevania's (which I beat in a day each) and I never got around to putting much time into NSMB (I am on 1-5). SMB3 has given me that old 2D Mario itch again.

Dadgum Roi
11-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Finally finished World 3 last night after getting distracted by other games. However, I had something on the order of a row and a half of frog suits at one point, so that takes away some of the sting.

TheSL
11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
However, I had something on the order of a row and a half of frog suits at one point, so that takes away some of the sting.

How in the world did you manage to get so many? Isn't there only 2 houses by that point that 100% give you Frog Suits(secret house in World 2 and the first one in World 3)?

Dadgum Roi
11-08-2007, 08:52 AM
How in the world did you manage to get so many? Isn't there only 2 houses by that point that 100% give you Frog Suits(secret house in World 2 and the first one in World 3)?

I was dying a lot and hence using a lot of continues, and for a while, every time I hit the Toad House, I'd end up with a goddamn Frog Suit. It was pretty infuriating.

MoltenBoron
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
While not applicable to SMB3, there's the battery issue here too. Some of our NES carts have dead batteries and it's just more convenient to buy the game again over the VC, even if not necessarily cheaper.

Also, relevant to SMB3, the Wii's save states. I don't think I ever played through Mario 3 on the NES in one sitting, which meant I had to leave the NES on for days at a time. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but it's nice that the Wii makes it not a big ordeal to just quit a game and pick up where you left off later.

ShakeWell
11-08-2007, 01:14 PM

This is why I'm so glad to have a copy of All-Stars. Yay, All-Stars!

Sven
11-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Put me safely into the liking World 3 column, even though I generally hate the water-only stages (which, luckily, are only a relatively small chunk of the overall experience). I think it's because, ever since the original SMB, my weakness was always any stage involving a cheep-cheep; the original's 2-3 was a breaking point for me, even after I was good enough to beat the game. So the return of that style of level in 3-2 was a big deal, challenge-wise, for me; it was only made worse with the emergence of the giant, one-hit-death fish in 3-3.

Of course, that wasn't enough for Nintendo; not only did they add in a giant, Mario-EATING fish, but they had that level actually represented by legitimate moored islands which rose and fell with the tides. Even in the era where every game copied Mario 3, no one ever really pulled that off again.

Another reason that I'm in favour of World 3 is that it's the first "real" world of the bunch. For instance:

- World 1 is basically your introduction to the whole overworld concept (yes, I know Bionic Commando was the direct inspiration, but for Mario this was a big deal back in the day). There's some hints about multiple paths, but the level as a whole is relatively linear; the only real choice is whether you want to go to 1-3 or 1-4, and once you learn about the P-wing bonus house you basically have to beat them both anyway.

(Aside: has anyone ever managed to trigger the 1-4 bonus house while keeping the raccoon tail you've presumably wound up with after playing through 1-3? I can never empty a 10-coin block if I have that damn thing flapping around during jumps, so I always used to intentionally power down on the way to the whistle)

For you youngsters: we all were super-obsessive about World 1 back in the day, since we knew we had to thoroughly beat the thing to have enough items to get through to and beat Bowser. This will come into play in a bit.

- World 2 is the first "real" world - introducing pipes and rocks into the equation, as well as the then-freaky pyramid stage (sample: "wait, what the hell do you mean I have to actually beat this thing!?! IT'S NOT EVEN A LEVEL!"), but at the same time there's not much going on in terms of layout. Well, the "hidden" area beyond the dunes is neat, but that whistle was hard as hell to find without the help of Nintendo Power.

- Whereas World 3 pretty much blows the design open. You've got pipes, but now your mobility isn't just given multiple choices, your choices can come back to bite you in the ass if you run afoul of the wrong drawbridges. That adds a much bigger stake to the overworld, even if it wasn't really used much after that point. Plus, the boat was awesome (World 7 desperately needed something similar to help with navigation).

Sure, World 4 is the mind-blowing graphical showcase and World 5's probably the best combination of design, challenge and sheer audacity (two halves of a level, with a level linking them? 'Twas nuts). 6... well, no one ever played 6 because it was evil, and 7 was more of a series of mindbenders than anything concrete. But 3's got nothing to be ashamed of, really. I like its selection more than anything in Mario World, really.

As for World 8... I'm almost ashamed to say, but I've never really played it. I always had enough P-Wings / clouds built up that I was able to avoid headaches for most of it, especially with the aid of tricks like swimming under the ships.

[My progression was always pretty simple: clean out World 1 (two P-Wings, two whistles, likely two N-Spades since I used to build up lives in 1-2), beat 2 largely to get the cloud gem at the end, then warp to 5 and play for a couple more P-Wings and clouds. Then on to World 8, at which point you basically don't have to worry about anything unless you're REALLY bad at 8-2.]

Brickroad
11-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I played clear through the game and had absolutely no trouble at all. I never started a single stage small (except 1-1) and was using up my hammers/clouds/music boxes as soon as I got them because my inventory was always overfull. I beat every hammer bro. with a star. I killed Bowser with the hammer suit (how cool is that?) with 97 lives to spare, never once having stopped to stockpile any.

In other words, I tore this game a new one. It was a lot easier than I remembered. I distinctly remember as a kid being unable to finish the game without warping past worlds 6 and 7, and even then barely having enough good stuff to get through world 8. I always had to use a P-Wing on the zooming airship platform level.

SamuelMarston
11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I killed Bowser with the hammer suit (how cool is that?) with 97 lives to spare

This is my new goal. That is so AWESOME.

Daydreamer
11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
World 7 was fun and challenging, but beat-able with a little ingenuity and trial and error. World 6, however, and its slippy-sliding maze-and-hammer-brothers filled levels was the spawn of the devil.

Mazian
11-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I killed Bowser with the hammer suit (how cool is that?)
Answer: very cool. I did that too last night, and I didn't even know you could. I just started tossing hammers because it was more interesting than standing around, waiting for Bowser to jump - imagine my surprise when he never even got to the jumping part.

I think World 7 may be my favorite. It's got a good variety of fun stage designs, even the level where you need to remain invincible continuously.

admozan
11-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm only up to World 6, but I'm pleased to see that my gaming skills have improved since I got this cart 17 years ago. Some of those sky stages used to drive me nuts as a kid.

Lee N
11-09-2007, 09:18 AM
So, I've been playing through Super Mario Bros. 3 this week. I made a point of not warping through the game and I made it up to the end of World 7, I was gonna power up Mario before a level and somehow I managed to accidentally use a warp whistle - which took me to World 8. *sigh*

I finished World 8 anyway, but the fact that I missed a couple of levels on World 7 is really annoying. Stupid whistles, stupid me.

Brickroad
11-09-2007, 09:47 AM
So, I've been playing through Super Mario Bros. 3 this week. I made a point of not warping through the game and I made it up to the end of World 7, I was gonna power up Mario before a level and somehow I managed to accidentally use a warp whistle - which took me to World 8. *sigh*

I finished World 8 anyway, but the fact that I missed a couple of levels on World 7 is really annoying. Stupid whistles, stupid me.

Why'd you even get the whistles in the first place then?

I mean that's precious inventory space slot you could have used for a starman or a music box.

Lee N
11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Why'd you even get the whistles in the first place then?
Old habits die hard.

Lee N
11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
at which point you basically don't have to worry about anything unless you're REALLY bad at 8-2.]

You can just swim under everything on that level, the lava acts like normal water.

TheSL
11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
You can just swim under everything on that level, the lava acts like normal water.

Unless you're playing on the Japanese or All Stars version of the game where there is an extra block on the second ship that makes the jump too large to reach the pipe at the end.

Lee N
11-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Unless you're playing on the Japanese or All Stars version of the game where there is an extra block on the second ship that makes the jump too large to reach the pipe at the end.

You can jump up on the front of the boat and still have skipped a large portion of the level.

shivam
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
things i like about 3-
sliding. i loved being able to slide up and down the hills, and i loved the sliding sprite, and i loved bowling enemies over.

the underground music. a remix of SMB 1? sign me up!

fireballs turning bad guys into coins. it was almost enough to make up for that ugly orange clothing.

the fact that the first block you see that is on the ground also has a leaf in it. Introducing three new mechanics all in one go--shell picking, ground blocks, and the marquee power up.

and flying goombas.

mopinks
11-09-2007, 10:47 AM
fireballs turning bad guys into coins. it was almost enough to make up for that ugly orange clothing.

that's a Mario World thing, isn't it?

(but if I remember correctly, you can get an e-reader powerup to that effect in the GBA version of Mario 3)

shivam
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
i thought it was part of 3 as well. i could well be mistaken.

Sven
11-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Oh, I know - I meant the *actual* 8-2, not the second stage of World 8, the ships (which, I agree, is a cakewalk on the NES). My NP Strategy-Guide ingrained knowledge and numbering habits die hard. :)

If memory serves (and I think I'm mixing up where to use the cloud), the avoidances were:

- Tanks: P-Wing
- Ships: Avoid initial contact, swim under
- Hands: C'mon, no sweating these.
- Jet Ships: Skip using cloud
- 8-1: Using the raccoon Mario left over from the hands, it's easy
- 8-2: Beat normally
- Fortress: Have to beat it clean, but it's not tough once you know the route.
- Super Tank: P-Wing
- Bowser's Castle: Should be simple if you still have the Raccoon Suit

So, there... you don't even REALLY have to go to World 5 to do the no-sweat routine in World 8 (I guess I always wanted the extra P-Wing for Bowser's castle). Simply beat World 2 to get the cloud and it's pretty simple.

Kishi
11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
P Wings lose their effect after one stage, so you'd still need two if you wanted infinite flight in two stages.

Sven
11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
P Wings lose their effect after one stage, so you'd still need two if you wanted infinite flight in two stages.

Right. I goofed on the initial post - you don't need the P-Wing for Bowser unless you're showing off all the "look what I can do" glitches for that last battle, like no fireballs or double Bowsers or whatever.

There's two P-Wings in World 1 (White Mushroom House and Letter), which should be enough. I should run through this on the bus ride home to see exactly what I'd typically have in the inventory going into World 8.

I really miss the inventory. It just added so much geeky depth to Mario 3.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't believe that clouds let you skip the "automatic" stages, the ones that you enter immediately upon touching.

...never quite understood the point of any of that.

And fireball coins were only introduced in Super Mario World.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Falselogic
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Never beaten SMB3, gotten to the second part of the 8th world. This time though I'm going for bust...!

What is sad is that playing through the first 3 worlds I know every stage, still after who knows how many years... Those latter levels though I don't quite know them. Playing it again, I still love it. Miss having my 3 friends around though playing with me... what happened to those guys?

Eirikr
11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
The airship ministage in world 8 always frustrated me as a kid. I always made sure to have a P-Wing in reserve for it.

While it's still kinda hard and I definitely died on it a few times, playing it again more than a decade later it's...not that bad. Nor are the tank stages. In fact, they are damned easy now. I always would cheap out and use P-Wings there too.

Also, is it possible to kill Bowser by jumping on his head lots of times?

Lee N
11-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Oh, I know - I meant the *actual* 8-2, not the second stage of World 8, the ships (which, I agree, is a cakewalk on the NES).

Right.. 8-2 is also a cakewalk considering you can sink through the quicksand at the beginning of the level and skip almost the entire level that way.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-09-2007, 05:06 PM
The airship ministage in world 8 always frustrated me as a kid. I always made sure to have a P-Wing in reserve for it.

While it's still kinda hard and I definitely died on it a few times, playing it again more than a decade later it's...not that bad. Nor are the tank stages. In fact, they are damned easy now. I always would cheap out and use P-Wings there too.

Also, is it possible to kill Bowser by jumping on his head lots of times?

Maybe, but it'd probably be more times than anyone here would ever be willing to try.

So, no. Probably not.

Which really got me the first time I challenged him. I figured that you'd stomp him this time like all his bastard kids. Imagine my surprise when I just bounced off harmlessly.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

SamuelMarston
11-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I started replaying today (Virtual Console not GBA like I had planned) and I am loving it. I'm playing it two player with my brother who is 10 years my junior. This game excels at two player fun. You can cooperate by simply alternating levels, or compete by stealing mushroom houses, battling or by generally being a pest.

Love it.

Switching off after beating a level and not just on lost lives was a master stroke.

Anonymooo
11-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Yeah me too! I'm only 27, about to be 28. I was 10 when Mario 3 was released. I rented that game, continuously, for 4 months straight until my parents bought me my own copy in the summer of '90.Dude, where in Monterey are you, so we can go and feel old together? I'm turning 25 in about a week and I go to MPC. XD

And by the way, I forgot how much it scared me when the Angry Sun flies down from the sky to try and murder me. The other thing I lost from my days of NES yore was being able to navigate the airships without getting hit.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Switching off after beating a level and not just on lost lives was a master stroke.

Which made it a pretty nifty addition to the first game in All-Stars, too.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

chronolink
11-10-2007, 09:08 PM
This game NEEDS (1) a way to save your progress and (2) a way to replay levels if not a reason.

Now I see where NSMB got the "give 1ups like candy" design philosophy. At least in this game losing all of your lives is a very neatly integrated part of the design, with the fortress doors and all that. In NSMB you just have to repeat anything you did between your last save and death, so you just basically hoard coins through the game and start unlocking things towards the end, just for the save.

The raccoon tail is crap for fighting, specially after using the SMW cape, that kills almost anything and you can just spin like crazy, with the tail you have to carefully time your swipes as to not get hit. I found myself preferring the fire flower for enemy infested levels and hammer brothers, a trade I never made in SMW.

Navigating level 7 is annoying, pipes should not have the side scrolling part between them.

I found the Hammer Brothers Suit to not be 'the hotness' I remembered it to be. Its probably because its kind of rare that when you get one you just want to not lose it. I did really like the Tanooki suit, being able to stomp things like piranha plants as a statue. That is hotness.

I really like how short most levels are, some even surprisingly short, like 1-5 and 8-2.

The Frog Suit should be not crappy over water, just so you have something to do with your leftover suits from World 3.

aceface
11-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Damn that giant fish! It's my nemesis!

Just bought the game on the VC, doing a game going through all the levels instead of warping. Just beat level 4...the "save state" on the Wii is a godsend for these early games that did not have a save feature. Overall, it's harder than I remember it being! I really had trouble on the airships on both level 2 and level 3. My platforming skills, what happened to them.

Back when I was a kid I had the strategy guide and had every secret on every level memorized...now I find that I've forgotten a lot, although I did remember the "1up factory" in level 3-5 or 3-6 I believe it was? The one where you get the turtle shell going between two blocks and rack up 1ups from lakitu's eggs...I think I got about 50 or so.

admozan
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
All that's left now in my game is the last castle. I'm going to back up my save state to an SD card just to see if I can reach Bowser wearing a hammer suit.

Update: And then I learned I can't copy that data. Crud.

Phat
11-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I have no idea where any warp whistles are. Never bothered to look.

You can also extrapolate from this the fact that I've never seen The Wizard.

Mr. Sensible
11-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I have no idea where any warp whistles are. Never bothered to look.

You can also extrapolate from this the fact that I've never seen The Wizard.

I think not watching The Wizard is the real advantage, here.

Tomm Guycot
11-11-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm in world 6 now, wishing I had saved up my fireflowers.

I'm also pissed I wasted a hammer getting the Warp Whistle I don't want to use... cause I missed the red toad house in World 4. Argh.

I died at the end of 5-3 on purpose so I could go through it again.

Tomm Guycot
11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Just finished. Stupid laser statues always kill my HB suit.

Something I noticed for the first time ever. In the ending scrawl when it goes through each world, there's a Koopa praying to the Tanooki Statue.

When I was a kid I thought he was giggling or something.

joffeorama
11-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Just a random thought, now that all the original Mario Brothers games are on the VC, does this mean we'll be getting All-Stars next year?

Also, what's this about "double Bowsers"?

SamuelMarston
11-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Just a random thought, now that all the original Mario Brothers games are on the VC, does this mean we'll be getting All-Stars next year?

I had assumed that we would get something Mario related in tomorrow's Virtual Console update (Seeing as we're getting Galaxy on Tuesday). I would say All-Stars, but we just got Mario 3 last week. Now I'm kinda leaning toward Yoshi's Island, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Yes, my Gamecrazy called me and said that they would in fact have the game on Tuesday, probably late afternoon. If I have to wait till Wednesday, I'm going to go mad.

Eusis
11-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Got to the fortress near the start of World 3. Didn't put too much effort into this, but I figured I'd at least give the GBA version a go.

... I forgot what door I ultimately had to go through in that stage.

Ghost from Spelunker
11-12-2007, 03:20 AM
When I was young, the music box item scared the hell out of me. The music coming out of it, to be precise. Did it bother any of you?

Do the Hammer Bros suit hammers do any damage to Bowser?

And, which do you prefer: the Hammer Bros Suit or the Kuribo Shoe?

Sven
11-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Go to Bowser's room with a P-Wing activated, and fly up the wall on the side you appear on. Then walk a ways over to the left, drop down, and volia! There's a second Bowser.

That last battle has all kinds of goofy glitches to it. It's almost as though Nintendo rushed through it, but that's very much unlike them.

And, which do you prefer: the Hammer Bros Suit or the Kuribo Shoe?

Shoe > Everything.

Got through most of my commute playthrough, and after *cough* having to adjust to the only-press-two-buttons-at-once constraints of a laptop keyboard *cough*, it went relatively smoothly.

World 1: Got the white mushroom house without much trouble (I think I was one coin over at the end, actually), but didn't bother trying for the coin ship. I could probably beat most of this one blindfolded, to tell the truth.

World 2: Actually died here once, and rather than having the levels memorised it was more of a sense of "I know there's a hidden block around here SOMEWHERE..." taking over most of the time, particularly the level with the "pyramids" of blocks that you have to somehow turn into coins. I think I took a hit on the airship, but no troubles there otherwise.

World 3: THAT DAMN BIG FISH! Lost about six or seven lives to him over the course of the level, particularly that evil level 8 where you have to keep hitting the safety vines to avoid the fish when it sinks (goes a lot lower than I remembered, too). An interesting thing is that there don't seem to be as many takeoff points throughout this level, even on the entirely land-based bits. They did a pretty thorough job of ensuring that even if you had a leaf, you were going to be battling through all the problems. Actually had this airship a bit better remembered than the previous one, come to think of it, but I never could do the screw lift jumping on this one right. Luckily, it's not as vital on this one as the next.

(Got the door right in the fortress on the first shot, actually - I distinctly remembered that it's the one with no pillars on the right side. The doors are less creepy on the All-Stars graphics set, though.)

World 4: Giant World isn't nearly as hard as I remembered it - I barely broke a sweat. In fact, the toughest part of the whole thing was keeping the Tanooki suit all the way to the airship, which I was able to do but wound up taking a hit towards the end. Has anyone ever figured out why this of all airships has two power-ups? The boss (Iggy?) isn't that tough, and the ship isn't either.

World 5: Just played long enough to get the boot and assorted goodies on the ground level, then warped and saved the state since the train was pulling in.

Tomm Guycot
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
During my playthrough I got kinda bummed most people skip worlds 6 and 7. I found those levels to be the most fulfilling in the entire game.

Kishi
11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
World 7 is at least as much a test of skill as World 8, and overcoming it feels equally rewarding. And World 6 has coins frozen in ice and those bipedal piranha plants keeping spiked balls aloft with their breath. What's not to like?

alexb
11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Six is great stuff, but seven had a few too many sections that irritated the hell out of me. I don't like those areas with the invisible block that you jump on to change direction. They're kinda slow and break the pacing.

Keithius
11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
If there is just ONE thing I remember clearly from this game it is to "remember your mushroom physics!"

Though I've long since lost the strategy guide, I can remember that phrase. And when I pulled this game out to re-play it, I had almost forgotten it, until just as I was hitting that very first mushroom block in world 1-1... ahhh, memories.

And boy oh boy, my memories do seem to be a bit more... "rosy" than reality. The NES version WAS really dull compared to the SNES remake. Controls seem a bit stiffer too - although that may just be due to the fact that I'm not playing with an original NES gamepad.

Balrog
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
This is kind of a tangent but I love when old games let you affect the environment. Like when you shoot a fireball at one of those frozen blocks and they disappear. So awesome.

aceface
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Damn, the white mushroom house! Forgot about that one. I remembered how to get the coin ship for some reason though. What's the secret for the white toad house?

Mr. Sensible
11-12-2007, 02:18 PM
The NES version WAS really dull compared to the SNES remake.

Graphically speaking, I kinda like the NES version better. Of course All-Stars' SMB3 is technically superior, but the original had a very flat, geometric art style that feels cluttered when you throw in fancy parallax scrolling and all the extra colors.

That's probably just me, though.

Sven
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Damn, the white mushroom house! Forgot about that one. I remembered how to get the coin ship for some reason though. What's the secret for the white toad house?

Get (x) amount of coins in a certain level in each world, get the mushroom house. It's only really worth trying on the odd worlds since the even worlds just give you the most useless item in the game, a music box. I'm sure GameFaqs has a listing, but you can usually tell it's a mushroom house level if there's some convoluted trick involving a P-block revealing a couple of hard-to-find coins.

Erstaz: Count me as liking the starker NES colour scheme more. I think what turned it for me was in All Stars - one of the Giant World fortresses, where you go into a hidden area and suddenly it's all bright and colourful everywhere, since that was the default "bonus stage" background. It just doesn't feel right.

(1-5 being a dirt, rather than pseudo-ice, level, threw me for a loop the first time I played All-Stars, too.)

Sanagi
11-12-2007, 04:54 PM
The coin ship... Doesn't it have to do with multiples of 11 in your coins and a matching digit in your score? I don't bother trying to get it because it takes a lot of time and doesn't actually accomplish that much.

I always get the white mushroom house in stage 1 but I ignore all the rest. I seem to remember them not being worth the effort.

Mazian
11-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Get (x) amount of coins in a certain level in each world, get the mushroom house. It's only really worth trying on the odd worlds since the even worlds just give you the most useless item in the game, a music box.
It's even worse than that: even-numbered worlds get you the anchor.

shivam
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
what does the music box do again?

Mazian
11-12-2007, 05:32 PM
what does the music box do again?
Puts any wandering Hammer Brothers on the map to sleep for the next level or two, allowing you to walk over them without triggering a fight.

Kishi
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
It also works on the Piranha Plant in World 7. And the music that plays is an abbreviated remix of the original Super Mario Bros. theme.

Falselogic
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
In the sky in world 5 at this point. I'm realizing that less and less of the levels are familiar to me. I'm sure I usually skipped to World 8 at this point, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did so. I'm not looking forward to World 7, I've never been able to beat it...

Sanagi
11-12-2007, 11:31 PM
It also works on the Piranha Plant in World 7. And the music that plays is an abbreviated remix of the original Super Mario Bros. theme.
Skipping the piranha plant levels is the true purpose of the music box. Of course, you probably only need one in order to accomplish that.

It's even worse than that: even-numbered worlds get you the anchor.
Oh, I totally forgot about the anchor. An item that's even less useful than the music box! I must have repressed that memory.

Mazian
11-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Skipping the piranha plant levels is the true purpose of the music box.
Madness! The first such level earns you a P-Wing. With World 8 coming up, you can rarely afford to skip it.

Tomm Guycot
11-12-2007, 11:57 PM
THERE IS ONLY GALAXY NOW

Sven
11-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Madness! The first such level earns you a P-Wing. With World 8 coming up, you can rarely afford to skip it.

If you're good enough to get to world 7, odds are pretty good you've got a couple of P-Wings stashed and any more than three is just overkill by that point.

I think I've figured out why I'm finding this easier than I used to: I've come to the realisation that I don't especially care about coins (or ludicrously-placed powerups) anymore. So I'm more focused on just getting through every level without issues.

Hell, it took me five tries, but I beat the Jet Ships without resorting to a P-Wing this morning. I could NEVER do that as a kid.

Sanagi
11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
The Piranha Plant levels are harder than World 8.