PDA

View Full Version : FC10: Super Mario Galaxy (Grand Galaxies 4-6)

Parish
11-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Talk about the next three grand galaxies here. For justice.

Rosencrantz
11-13-2007, 12:31 AM
"Grand Galaxies" are the collections of smaller galaxies that end with a Bowser or Baby Bowser fight, correct? Then I guess this is the thread for me, as I'm now in the fourth one (the bedroom).

The Freezeflame Galaxy is a really great idea. I was expecting a volcano world and an ice world, but hell, I'm all for the idea of combining them so that we can have other, more unique worlds.

I had to stop just after reaching Freezeflame because the previous world, Gusty Garden, made me really sleepy for some reason. Something about the lighting and how everything looked so soft.

estragon
11-13-2007, 04:42 AM
This game has my favorite ice world control scheme ever. I love skating around. I've always hated ice worlds, but this one is freaking fun. Also, combining the ice and fire worlds into one was indeed a sweet idea.

Calorie Mate
11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Anyone done the race against the shadowy Mario on Freezeflame? I died a couple times, but it was pretty sweet.

Sprite
11-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Variety seems to be the name of the game in this Mario. I think I've seen more different types of planets and levels than any other Mario game, and I'm only halfway through. Best 3D Mario, if it can hold this quality.

But, um, Ice Mario is timed. I'm sad now... that was the coolest power-up ever until it went away after ten seconds.

reibeatall
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Does anybody else feel bad about killing the Koopas for their shells? I mean, they are less threatening than the Goomba, but here I am, killing dozens of them to throw at a ship.

TheSL
11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Does anybody else feel bad about killing the Koopas for their shells? I mean, they are less threatening than the Goomba, but here I am, killing dozens of them to throw at a ship.

Yeah, but they seem to have some kind of magic regeneration that the goombas don't, so it all evens out.

Rosencrantz
11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Anyone done the race against the shadowy Mario on Freezeflame? I died a couple times, but it was pretty sweet.

I just did that. My analog-stick hand really hurts... I guess I was putting too much pressure to make Mario skate faster, more beautifully! (Coming soon: Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics!)

Calorie Mate
11-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I just did that. My analog-stick hand really hurts... I guess I was putting too much pressure to make Mario skate faster, more beautifully! (Coming soon: Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics!)

Jumping while skating is fantastic.

By the by, without spoiling anything, does more stuff open up than the game's leading me to believe, or are these threads labeled wrong? I'm in the Engine Room, and by my count that's only the 5th Grand Galaxy.

joffeorama
11-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Oh man, Matter Splatter Galaxy is goddamn trippy. I love how nearly any one of the ideas in this game could've been an entire game all by its own.

Sprite
11-14-2007, 02:51 PM

This entire game consists of Mario invading various galaxies to murder and loot the corpses of various flora and fauna for their delicious star bits, coins and power stars. PERHAPS ROSALINDA IS THE TRUE ENEMY!

Brickroad
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Oh man, Matter Splatter Galaxy is goddamn trippy. I love how nearly any one of the ideas in this game could've been an entire game all by its own.

Matter Splatter was terrific. And what a great name for a level!

One amazing thing about this game is, so far, it hasn't been cheap or unfair. There were lots of spots in Sunshine (and even a few in 64) where I felt like I had to fight the game to get my star. I've hit a few rough spots in Galaxy, but they've all been my fault.

The Daredevil Run in Melty Magma Galaxy took me about ten tries, but even though it was difficult it was always in my direct control.

alexb
11-14-2007, 09:04 PM

They're not dead. They're just sleeping.

Calorie Mate
11-15-2007, 12:39 AM
The best part about this fun club is that I can post new stuff in the 1-3 part, since those damn comets show up and I'm revisiting those places, too.

Jeanie
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
To be honest the second Bowser fight, was alright, but even though it was basically the same as the first one, it wasn't as satisifing.

TheSL
11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
To be honest the second Bowser fight, was alright, but even though it was basically the same as the first one, it wasn't as satisifing.

See also: every Bowser fight in Mario 1, Mario 64, and New Super Mario Bros. Bowser isn't very creative- once he thinks of a fighting strategy he sticks to it until the end(of the game).

Sprite
11-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Last Boss Spoilers: Bowser switches his tactics up a bit for the last boss. It still boils down to the same thing but it's a much longer fight and harder. I died once or twice.

So I beat the main game and am now on my way to 120 stars. I'm staying away from the endgame thread until then. The purple coin stars were not nearly as bad as I thought they'd be. I'm getting them out of the way as soon as I can, though, because they are still annoying, and definitely the worst part of the game. But I'm not going to complain because the optional 10% of an amazing game was kind of boring. At least they didn't force them on you like Zelda or Metroid.

Mini, non-endgame spoilers: I'm dying to find that last green star. The Lumas build up these Trial Galaxies as a thing of wonder and amazement. I love how what would've been a superfluous collectible in any other platformer is subsumed into the main game in Mario. Sure, there are these special stars that do special things, but they still count towards the regular total.

Calorie Mate
11-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Last Boss Spoilers:

Mini, non-endgame spoilers:

Last boss: I think they should have reversed the "covered in stone" Bowser with the "fight him the same way you did those big pirannha plants" way, since the stone Bowser was harder. Alternatively, they should have made it so you can ONLY hit Bowser part 2 with those plants, instead of hitting him when he's moving slow and then business as usual.

Mini, non-endgame spoilers: Prepare to be kind of disappointed.

Sprite
11-16-2007, 04:29 PM
So, did anyone else think something was wrong with their TV during the Purple Coin Stars? I spent quite a while trying to figure out if anything magnetic was touching mine and didn't even realize until when I played on a different set that the hazy purple borders were intentional.

mopinks
11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
man, I am so glad I didn't know about the red star surprise in advance, because that was pretty much the greatest surprise ever.

this game is now a 14 out of 10

Niku
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
ditto x 1000

Jeanie
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Just did that today, had the same results as you, including one time where I landed on the star platform but had too much momentium so I skated off to my death. Awesome race, I'm glad they improved them over the ones in Sunshine.

Sami
11-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Whoa, that's the second time Galaxy has bugged on me. Entered Freezeframe Galaxy, and right on the landing spot, I notice I can't move with the analogue controller of the Nunchuk, while jumping and spinning on the Wiimote worked. However, pressing pause didn't work, so next thing I try was pressing home button - and the whole system freezes. Well, now I know why it's the Freezeflame Galaxy! Maybe it's called Freezeframe in the Japanese version?

Sprite
11-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Whoa, that's the second time Galaxy has bugged on me. Entered Freezeframe Galaxy, and right on the landing spot, I notice I can't move with the analogue controller of the Nunchuk, while jumping and spinning on the Wiimote worked. However, pressing pause didn't work, so next thing I try was pressing home button - and the whole system freezes. Well, now I know why it's the Freezeflame Galaxy! Maybe it's called Freezeframe in the Japanese version?

Maybe you have a bad copy, or, heaven forbid, a bad Wii. I wonder if anyone else has had those problems.

I've had the game bug out once on me, when I was flattened for no reason by a thwomp who was nowhere near me. Maybe it's just a couple problems in the game.

Calorie Mate
11-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, now I know why it's the Freezeflame Galaxy! Maybe it's called Freezeframe in the Japanese version?

I laughed, and frankly, I think your troubles were worth going through to make this joke.

Rosencrantz
11-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Maybe it's just me, but are the opening areas in Honeyhive and Gold Leaf galaxies exactly the same, only mirrored (and with different colors)? The rest of the galaxies are different, but the parts you start in seem to be that way. Check it out.

Sprite
11-17-2007, 08:48 PM
So I'm at 100 Stars and had to stop myself from playing any further, I've been so addicted that I've neglected other responsibilities. I got bored at around 90 stars in 64 and around 80 in Sunshine. I can't believe I'm going to get 100% in this game without feeling bored once, even in the worst parts of the game. Game of the Year?

Maybe it's just me, but are the opening areas in Honeyhive and Gold Leaf galaxies exactly the same, only mirrored (and with different colors)? The rest of the galaxies are different, but the parts you start in seem to be that way. Check it out.

I noticed that too. Kind of weird, but whatever. I'm having too much fun to care.

Sami
11-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I laughed, and frankly, I think your troubles were worth going through to make this joke.

Every cloud has a silver lining and a smiley face.

The Bowser thing was interesting too in showing the extent of the game's physics and size of the play area (or at least some clever distance/size calculation). It really looked like he had been cast away into the vastness of space until he was just a speck, and eventually could not be seen at all. It took me some time to be certain that it was not supposed to go that way and he was not coming back with a thundering super attack. In that case, the game handled completely believably something that wasn't even supposed to happen.

estragon
11-17-2007, 11:33 PM

I dunno. I thought this one was kind of unfair to shadow Mario, because it seemed like he had no idea how to skate properly.

As a sidenote, Freezeflame is called IceVolcano (in English) in the Japanese game. If only it were Freezeframe. Damn you, cruel world!

Tomm Guycot
11-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't mean to be a dick but you guys have posts in here for galaxies 7-bonus, and I had some stuff spoiled for me.

So "F you guys" and also, please post in the appropriate thread.

Calorie Mate
11-18-2007, 01:48 AM
There are only 6 Grand Galaxies. We couldn't have spoiled anything, aside from post-end game stuff, which we didn't.

Tomm Guycot
11-18-2007, 02:05 AM
I just beat it (78 stars).

This was pretty much the greatest game ever. Now, on to 120! (and then a replay!)

widdershins
11-18-2007, 03:23 AM
One amazing thing about this game is, so far, it hasn't been cheap or unfair.

I feel more or less the same way (65 stars so far), though I think that dreadnaught walks a fine line from time to time.

First post by the way! Hi all.

ShakeWell
11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I can post here now! I made it to the bedroom Grand Galaxy!

And the first Galaxy there (forgot the name, with the wind and riding on giant dandelion things) was possibly the weakest so far! I was disappointed... However, from looking at the upcoming Galaxies, I think they'll be better.

Sprite
11-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I need help.

Spoilers on one particular Purple Coin Quest: So, Luigi's Purple Coins in Toy Time Galaxy... HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. This is by far the hardest star I've come across. I died about 25 times and I still have no idea how to go about beating it. Any suggestions? What's the smartest path to take?

I have six stars to go, and I don't want to give up now.

Calorie Mate
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Check the End Game thread. We talk about that one a lot in there.

Sprite
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Aaaaand... 120 Stars. Time to graduate to the Endgame thread before the Fun Club ends.

...When does Fun Club end, anyway?

ShakeWell
11-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Mini, non-endgame spoilers: Prepare to be kind of disappointed.

Word. Possible minor spoilerage:They're not as "trying" as you're led to believe. I mean, still kind of fun, but basically similar to the one star galaxies outside of the grand galaxies, but with more gimmickry.

Sami
11-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Hasn't anybody else had the game freeze in Freezeflame? I've had it happen two times now. This time for the hot/cold stage. I was making some long jumps to make it to the Fire Flower quicker, but then Mario gets stuck moving to the left as if the analogue had been resetted wrong. Now I can still move, but the glitch loses me a life. Thinking I need to realign the analogue nub, I try to pause the game - it doesn't work, so I instinctively try pressing 'Home' before remembering the last time... frozen! This particular behavior I've never had happen in any other stage nor any other game... although it reminds me of the game-freezing bug in Zelda Collection's Majora, which oddly enough, also occurred most frequently in the frozen Snowpeak dungeon. If my Wii starts blowing out frosty air like those creepy ice monsters, I'm going to get worried...

Andy
11-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I just beat the game with 104(+1) stars because that was my only choice(if I wanted to continue.) At this point the game ending level seemed a bit easy and I defeated Bowser on my first try which was a bit disappointing. I'd have to say though that those are the only small disappointments that I've had with the game so far.
My favorite suit has got to be the ice suit, and the tow hidden stars that you get while using it are some of my favorites, especially the one where you triple jump off of the water spouts.

I found thesand spiral galaxy level to be the hardest in the game for me so far.

Oh yeah a couple of other small disappointments are the impermanence(at least a few times?) of some of the suits, and the shortage of flying levels.

I'm editing this because after rereading it, it sounds like I didn't actually like anything about the game. I'm having trouble remembering what I liked best, maybe Matter Splatter, and definitely anything with rolling on the ball or pull pods, or blowing bubbles. I guess I found myself listing disappointments because they make up a very short list compared to all of the things that I liked.

Trent Dole
11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Fuck you, Firey Piranha Plant, fuck you.

le geek
11-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Okay, so I'm now in galaxies 4 and 5 with something like 9 stars left on the countdown. The game is still awesome. Nothing more to report.